Suggestion: HoM skins unlockable via gemstore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

You can get the entire GW1 complete pack on steam sale for like 20 bucks. Keep an eye out for it. You would spend that much in the gem store anyway. Why not have an entire game full of content instead? It’s not that hard to unlock the skins the normal way.

The complete pack aka Trilogy, does not come with EotN, which is pretty much essential if you really want the HoM rewards.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

No.

Those skins are there for people who played GW1 and worked for them.

If GW1 servers are turned off at some point then maybe a solution should be found but as long as GW1 is still up if people want them that much they’re free to pick GW1 up and get them the same way everyone else did.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

No.

Those skins are there for people who played GW1 and worked for them.

If GW1 servers are turned off at some point then maybe a solution should be found but as long as GW1 is still up if people want them that much they’re free to pick GW1 up and get them the same way everyone else did.

Oh I don’t mind working for them but not in another game I don’t want to play. They could make it so that you have to do the quests or whatever it is you have to do in that other game in this game and then you get some sort of token, which you can then use in the Gem Store together with gems for the skins.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

It’s ANet’s game. They own it. It’s theirs.

It’s been proven, for almost 2 years, that ANet will do what it wants, when it wants to this game despite feedback from customers, despite cries of “pride”, customer experience, concerns over destroying communities, destroying zones, removing content, resetting hard-won levels (fractals) etcetera.

If there is money to be had via the gemstore, what makes any one particular skin and any customer-associated meaning override the necessity of creating much-needed cash to pay the bills? Development, servers, employees require payment, even if the game is “free”.

All of the above falls under the heading of “it’s just business”.

Perhaps the customers in China would like the skins.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

I want my university to give me a BFA degree. I haven’t taken any college level art classes, but if I can scrape up the money nobody should have a problem with that.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

I don’t have the skins and I think this is a terrible suggestion. It devaluates them completely that’s all that needs to be said on the matter.

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

If they did that, people in Guild Wars 1 would rebel.

This already happened when they released a sequel that in no way resembles the first game.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’ve said this once before and I will say it again; nobody should get to wield a fiery dragon sword without knowing who Prince Rurik is first.

A VERY valid point….

I have 23 points but it likely wouldn’t take me long to get 30. I have NONE of the weapon skins unlocked and only one Hero armor. Really need to do that cause my Ranger needs a BW Spider…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

I’m already looking forward to the “Put the exclusive PvP tournament armor in the gemstore” threads after Gamescom. To any of those suggestions the answer is no. As long as items are available (I’m looking at you, Tribal armor) it is fine to have exclusive acquisition methods.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

I, as many others, played countless hours of GW1 and worked hard to get all the HoM skins. You shouldn’t be able to just buy them now. You can’t have everything. If you don’t want to go back and play GW1 and earn those rewards, you don’t deserve to have them. See it isn’t just about random skins. If you want something GW1 related there are 3 armor sets on the gem store made to resemble GW1 skins. Those were just skins referencing back to GW1, I don’t mind them being sold on the gem store now. The skins for HoM were specifically created and made available to people who played GW1 and earned them. That is the entire reason the skins exist. They have a purpose behind them. It is the same for an account bound skin reward in GW2. If you earn an account bound skin through accomplishing something in the game, those specific skins should not be sold on the gem store. Period.

I don’t really PVP much but I want the Fires of Balthazar back piece skin. I should not be able to buy that on the gem store. Other people have had to earn it. So should I.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’ve said this once before and I will say it again; nobody should get to wield a fiery dragon sword without knowing who Prince Rurik is first.

Know who he was AND survived his LEEEEEEROY moments.

At least getting an IDS is significantly easier in GW2.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Players world really hard to earn the HoM skins, if hugely out them on the gem store you completely negate that. If you want the skins go pick up GW1.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I only got 26 points.

Stop being so self entitled.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I’m sure OP has been shouted down enough by this point, but if it were in the gem store it would completely invalidate all my hard work. I am already unhappy that players can get the FDS skin without having GW1.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Snip
I am already unhappy that players can get the FDS skin without having GW1.

How can they? I found a bug fix for the PvP version
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-03-26#Items
“Fixed a bug that prevented players with high amounts of Hall of Monuments points from seeing the PvP Fiery Dragon Sword skin on the Hall of Monuments vendor.”

Acquisition says it’s from Kimmes only. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fiery_Dragon_Sword

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Snip
I am already unhappy that players can get the FDS skin without having GW1.

How can they? I found a bug fix for the PvP version
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2013-03-26#Items
“Fixed a bug that prevented players with high amounts of Hall of Monuments points from seeing the PvP Fiery Dragon Sword skin on the Hall of Monuments vendor.”

Acquisition says it’s from Kimmes only. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fiery_Dragon_Sword

I might have been wrong then.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I can understand both sides of this issue.

On one hand, they should be unique for GW1 players, but as GW2 gets older and the GW1 population gets smaller, is this still going to be feasible? Have any of you logged in lately to GW1? They’ve already stopped updating it, and it’s literally on maintenance mode, and one day it will be shut down for good. What then? The HoM will become irrelevant someday. As the GW2 population moves on, there will be less people with those unique skins, and they will just end up taking up space on the wardrobe UI, just like some of the SPvP skins do. Keep in mind, i’m thinking long-term here. I don’t even want to mention the complexity of learning GW1, learning how to get to HoM, and then obtaining the points for it. It’s not an easy transition for GW2 players.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

Posted by: Eviltwinlink.6759

Eviltwinlink.6759

I only have earned half of the skins from the HoM but I do not agree with this idea. I worked hard for those skins the summer before launch but I can’t imagine the work people put into earning everything the HoM offers. To devalue their work would be a huge slap in the face to the people who worked for a maxed hall. Honestly Guild Wars 1 is a great game and you can enjoy it like many single player games. If you only want the Firey Dragon Sword it shouldn’t be too much work to get (you can just get jormags breath if you like blue). Learning more about the lore and having a great game to play should be more than enough reason to work for these skins. Also to note many of the guild wars 1 players are pretty willing to help people fill their halls with mini pets or on some of the harder content. In fact I believe you can get rewards by just starting your hall.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As someone who has all of the skins from HoM, I honestly would not mind if ANet opened it up to the gem store. Frankly, I don’t care what other players are using, and I’m not a big supporter of exclusivity. If the move makes players who missed out happy, and ANet gets some extra profits, then go for it. I got my skins for “free” as a nod okittennowledgement to my years spent playing GW1, so I don’t feel ripped off if someone wants to come along and pay money for them.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

if you want it get gw1 and earn them the way the rest of us did, seriously why dont we just share our earned ap too <.<

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

As someone who has all of the skins from HoM, I honestly would not mind if ANet opened it up to the gem store. Frankly, I don’t care what other players are using, and I’m not a big supporter of exclusivity. If the move makes players who missed out happy, and ANet gets some extra profits, then go for it. I got my skins for “free” as a nod okittennowledgement to my years spent playing GW1, so I don’t feel ripped off if someone wants to come along and pay money for them.

As someone who has all of the skins from the HoM, all the points, and GWAMM, it bothers me to think that people who are not even competent enough to buy GW1 right now, play the game for what it is; a game that’s still enjoyable to this day, and earn the rewards as they were meant to be, want to instead skip the whole process with a swipe of their credit cards. Nobody “missed out.” Everyone is still more than welcome to go to GW1 and earn them just as I did, just as you did, and just as everyone else did.

As someone who has all the skins, do you really want these rewards to be thrown into the gemstore? You may not like exclusivity when it comes to certain items so your alternative suggestion is throwing them in the gemstore? In my opinion, as opposed to yours, that is taking two steps back in the wrong direction. The gemstore should not be the most rewarding aspect of GW2, placing the HoM rewards in the gemstore would only support that. “I don’t feel like earning this” is not a big enough reason to justify them being slapped in the gemstore or made easier to acquire.

These rewards are exclusive to GW1 players and that’s that. We all knew that dedicating stuff in the Hall of Monuments would give us something special in GW2 way before GW2 launched. All of that work cannot be devalued now, or ever. Instead of releasing Guild Wars: Utopia they ditched GW1 and spent the rest of their resources on GW2 so without us there wouldn’t even be a GW2 right now.

Nexxe.7081:

I can understand both sides of this issue.

On one hand, they should be unique for GW1 players, but as GW2 gets older and the GW1 population gets smaller, is this still going to be feasible? Have any of you logged in lately to GW1? They’ve already stopped updating it, and it’s literally on maintenance mode, and one day it will be shut down for good. What then? The HoM will become irrelevant someday. As the GW2 population moves on, there will be less people with those unique skins, and they will just end up taking up space on the wardrobe UI, just like some of the SPvP skins do. Keep in mind, i’m thinking long-term here. I don’t even want to mention the complexity of learning GW1, learning how to get to HoM, and then obtaining the points for it. It’s not an easy transition for GW2 players.

I think I would be more concerned about GW1 being shut down than the rewards devalued in the gemstore if this were to happen. I have friends who were not satisfied with GW2 and stayed in GW1, to this day there are certain places in GW1 that are still buzzing with players. I can’t provide a source, but I do remember ArenaNet saying that as long as one person plays GW1 they will not shut down the servers. My friends still enjoy GW1 and I get on to talk to them and play the game myself.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As someone who has all of the skins from the HoM, all the points, and GWAMM, it bothers me to think that people who are not even competent enough to buy GW1 right now, play the game for what it is; a game that’s still enjoyable to this day, and earn the rewards as they were meant to be, want to instead skip the whole process with a swipe of their credit cards. Nobody “missed out.” Everyone is still more than welcome to go to GW1 and earn them just as I did, just as you did, and just as everyone else did.

As someone who has all the skins, do you really want these rewards to be thrown into the gemstore? You may not like exclusivity when it comes to certain items so your alternative suggestion is throwing them in the gemstore? In my opinion, as opposed to yours, that is taking two steps back in the wrong direction. The gemstore should not be the most rewarding aspect of GW2, placing the HoM rewards in the gemstore would only support that. “I don’t feel like earning this” is not a big enough reason to justify them being slapped in the gemstore or made easier to acquire.

These rewards are exclusive to GW1 players and that’s that. We all knew that dedicating stuff in the Hall of Monuments would give us something special in GW2 way before GW2 launched. All of that work cannot be devalued now, or ever. Instead of releasing Guild Wars: Utopia they ditched GW1 and spent the rest of their resources on GW2 so without us there wouldn’t even be a GW2 right now.

I didn’t say that I wanted them to be available on the gem store, just that I wouldn’t mind if they did become available. Perhaps one day, if ANet shuts down the GW1 servers, then I think there would be a stronger case for the HoM skins to show up on the gem store. But for now, as you said yourself, players who want the skins have the opportunity to get it themselves by playing GW1.

To me, “earning” something is all in the mind of the player. As an example, in GW1 I earned my Legendary Survivor title the “proper” way. I created a brand new Paragon, and then took him through all 3 campaigns, both NM and HM, and doing all the missions and all the quests, even the super-dangerous ones. And I succeeded, getting my Legendary Survivor title somewhere mid-way through Nightfall.

And then, Eye of the North came out and trivialised the title through Fronis dungeon runs.

Am I upset that my title was no longer as exclusive as it once was? Not in the slightest. I KNOW that I earned it the hard way; that’s something nobody can ever take away from me. I don’t care how another player earned their Legendary Survivor, and I don’t care how they think I earned mine either. I did it to prove to myself that I could do it, not to show off to others. Likewise, if I ever get a Legendary in GW2, it’ll be because I like the skin and think it would look great on my character, not because “it’s a Legendary”.

Whenever people say that more players having access to their exclusive stuff ruins the item, that says to me that they’re not appreciating the item on its own merits. What they REALLY want is to be part of some rare, exclusive club, to feel superior to those that aren’t in the group. And I don’t think that’s a positive thing. You shouldn’t need to rely on the validation or acclaim of others.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Out of curiosity, because I don’t know, is GW1 available in China?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I’m not that much of a fan of pvp and wvw, so the world tournament-weapon skins become buyable too? Or the balthazar carapace backpack?

Honestly, what’s even the point of “unique” rewards and achievements when they become buyable?

Here’s an idea:
A new, large quest-chain woven to the events of GuildWars 1. Maybe exploring old dwarfen or asuran ruins, finding remains of Mursaat-magic and what else there might be. Players with no HoM-skins can unlock some of them, players who already got all HoM-skins get a nice quest-chain and the possibility to unlock the radiant-/hellfire-armor or other neat goodies.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Out of curiosity, because I don’t know, is GW1 available in China?

It certainly was, at some point. Not sure how the situation looks now. On the other hand Chinese GW2 is a separate game, and Kong Zhong is free to put in gemshop anything they want (…dye identifiers, for example) without it affecting our version in any way.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

You can get the entire GW1 complete pack on steam sale for like 20 bucks. Keep an eye out for it. You would spend that much in the gem store anyway. Why not have an entire game full of content instead? It’s not that hard to unlock the skins the normal way.

The complete pack aka Trilogy, does not come with EotN, which is pretty much essential if you really want the HoM rewards.

Well like I said, you can get the trilogy pack and EotN on sale sometimes. I got the whole thing for around 20 bucks.

Xenon.4537

I’m not that much of a fan of pvp and wvw, so the world tournament-weapon skins become buyable too? Or the balthazar carapace backpack?

Honestly, what’s even the point of “unique” rewards and achievements when they become buyable?

Here’s an idea:
A new, large quest-chain woven to the events of GuildWars 1. Maybe exploring old dwarfen or asuran ruins, finding remains of Mursaat-magic and what else there might be. Players with no HoM-skins can unlock some of them, players who already got all HoM-skins get a nice quest-chain and the possibility to unlock the radiant-/hellfire-armor or other neat goodies.

I would much rather they continue the current living story and give us new rewards. There’s nothing stopping anyone from picking up GW1 and earning the HoM rewards the way they were originally intended.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

So true!!!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

……
and the GW1 population gets smaller…..

As a percentage of total? I don’t see this getting “smaller” in terms of actual numbers. GW1 players are likely the ones to continue playing for years to come. Even if they are not active now, an expansion or full on revamp to some critical aspect of the game could easily get them back. The great thing about this game is you can not play it for years and still return.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I actually keep thinking this might be fun to do, and might still do it.

Sorry, carry on.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I only played the original GW1, never got into the expansions, so I don’t qualify for HoM rewards… but I also think they should remain GW1 exclusives; how many MMOs give you anything for coming from another MMO (even within the same publisher)? It’s a nice nod to the people who supported the game back in the day and it’s even nicer that they’ve kept GW1 for people to still get the skins. By all accounts getting the points for all the skins is fairly easy, it’s getting the titles that require lots and lots of grinding.

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

I already dislike the idea of so many skins being in Gem Store. Having hard earned GW1 weapons be easily obtained with gems is a slap to the face for a lot of people who played GW1.

I don’t even have all the skins yet, but im not complaining that i don’t have the axe skin i want, i play GW1 in order to accumulate some extra points towards it.

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Anet said they would be exclusive, compensating us for losing literally five, six years of accumulation. All the best armor and weapons, gone. All our money. Gone. We all had to start over, in a game we never really asked for.

It’s not really that much of a perk to be honest.

Why not keep playing Guild Wars then. It’s still there.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

GW1 have NEVER been on a sale on steam. You save some if you buy the complete edition, but don’t ever expect to see % taken off.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anet said they would be exclusive, compensating us for losing literally five, six years of accumulation. All the best armor and weapons, gone. All our money. Gone. We all had to start over, in a game we never really asked for.

How about because Anet stopped upgrading it, stopped adding to it, stopped coming out with new content. Even I can only play the same stuff so many times.

However, I actually prefer Guild Wars 2 to Guild Wars 1. Which doesn’t mean I didn’t have to start over. And you know, if Anet did upgrade Guild Wars 1, if they hadn’t put it on life support many might still be playing it.

This was supposed to be a Guild War 1 upgrade. If it came out as an upgrade we’d still have everything we worked for.

Xenon.4537

GW1 have NEVER been on a sale on steam. You save some if you buy the complete edition, but don’t ever expect to see % taken off.

My friends and I bought copies of it when it was on sale for 50-75% off. This was a couple years ago.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

How about because Anet stopped upgrading it, stopped adding to it, stopped coming out with new content. Even I can only play the same stuff so many times.

However, I actually prefer Guild Wars 2 to Guild Wars 1. Which doesn’t mean I didn’t have to start over. And you know, if Anet did upgrade Guild Wars 1, if they hadn’t put it on life support many might still be playing it.

This was supposed to be a Guild War 1 upgrade. If it came out as an upgrade we’d still have everything we worked for.

I never played GW but they actually said this was an upgrade? I think the whole “2” in the name ought to tip people off this is a new game, not an upgrade. All your hard work is still there, you didn’t lose it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I never played GW but they actually said this was an upgrade? I think the whole “2” in the name ought to tip people off this is a new game, not an upgrade. All your hard work is still there, you didn’t lose it.

Okay obviously you’re not understanding so I’ll try one more time. Guild Wars 1 players were told there would be an upgrade. It was going to be called Utopia. That was what we were told we would get. Anet scrapped Utopia, the upgrade we actually wanted, to make Guild Wars 2. HAD we gotten Utopia, we’d have new content and everything we worked for. Anet STOPPED upgrading the game we were playing to make this game. No expansions for five years. Five years. And none ever again.

This isn’t an update for Guild Wars 1, but it did replace the update we were told we would get. And that’s why Anet give us some kind of reward.

There are many people who’d rather be playing an updated GW 1 than this game. They have no choice, because Guild Wars 1 isn’t getting any updates…ever.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Oh you mean like for people that didnt grind gw1 to the ground back then. So after 2 years of playing gw2 they should go grind a completely different game so they can get a reward in this one. Great logic people. On top of that people had exclusive skins for like 2 years. I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins. I also have 80% of the skins unlocked and i think its a terribly selfish attitude to keep. Isnt having fun in a great game for so many years enough for you people, you need extra rewards in a new game that nobody else can get ever. Yeah playing a game that belongs to the previous generation and its mostly dead atm is a such a great way to get rewards in the game you wanna play.

I think people that have the skins are only a minority, rebeling wont do much, just like when they decided to unlock legendary skins, and to be honest i think people that had the same legendary 2ice have a lot more valid reason to complain.

Then I’m selfish. I played and still play guild wars. So I’m totalling 8 years. So I’ve played a game for 8 years and I have the skins I’ve earned. Do I have all the skins unlocked for Guild wars 2? No not even close. Do I want to see my fiery dragon sword turn up in the gem store? No I don’t. I love that I stand out. It’s great when people ask me where I got it and how do they get it. I have friends that I’ve made playing guild wars 2 go buy guild wars just to get the skin. So if they can do it why can’t you and other people? I really don’t understand it. Everyone thinks they should be able to have what ever they want and to hell with everyone else. Who more selfish. The people who WORKED for the skins or the people who are acting like entitled children, thinking they should have it all? If ANet ever do put them in the gem store I hope all the people buy is a copy of guild wars. And a message saying “go on. Work for it.”

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

BrotherBelial.3094

Okay obviously you’re not understanding so I’ll try one more time. Guild Wars 1 players were told there would be an upgrade. It was going to be called Utopia. That was what we were told we would get. Anet scrapped Utopia, the upgrade we actually wanted, to make Guild Wars 2. HAD we gotten Utopia, we’d have new content and everything we worked for. Anet STOPPED upgrading the game we were playing to make this game. No expansions for five years. Five years. And none ever again.

This isn’t an update for Guild Wars 1, but it did replace the update we were told we would get. And that’s why Anet give us some kind of reward.

There are many people who’d rather be playing an updated GW 1 than this game. They have no choice, because Guild Wars 1 isn’t getting any updates…ever.

Wrong. Utopia was canceled. But it was replaced with Eye of the North, then they went on to start work on GW2.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

The skins are still available to people who “did not” play GW1. All they have to do is “go play” GW1. Seriously, go play it. It’s still there.

Agreed.

ANet, please don’t release these skins through any other means.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I don’t want them to re-release the skins, though I guess it isn’t that terribly important to me. I found out yesterday that the only gw1 skin that I really wanted while I was playing it but never found/couldn’t afford actually IS available in gw2 and goes for a mere 3g on the trading post. I immediately bought the kitten out of it, of course. (Froggy <3) (I actually did have one drop in gw1 but with prot stat so I couldn’t use it. Torture.)

The armor and weapon skins are really nice to have, especially when leveling as they are free to apply. For that reason alone, I don’t expect them to put them in the gemstore, at least not any time soon. Whether they would also allow people who bought it unlimited free use (no precedent for this afaik), or try to keep it only free for those who earned them, it looks messy.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

It’s called HERITAGE armour, the whole point of the word HERITAGE is that it shows your account descends from GW1, thus linking to that part of your history. If you don’t have a link to the past, you don’t have a heritage and thus you don’t deserve the armour.

Without referencing the wiki, only GW1 veterans would know where and the effort required to get the items like the Wayward Wand, the straw effigy, the claw dagger.

These skins are a reward for GW1 vets who played the game and fought those battles. It’d be like buying a Victoria’s Cross, you have the medal for battlefield bravery but you didn’t deserve it.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I played 10k hours of GW. Still play it. Bought nearly every item on store to support the game. I think I deserve my HOM armor.

I did not buy the CE of GW2. I do not deserve the Mist Wolf exclusive to that. I didn’t Beta, I’m not entitled to the T Shirt (wherever it came from)

Games need to stick to exclusivity for some items.

Personally, I think people should pay the small price to play GW simply to experience a different style of online MMO-type gaming that the genre may never see again. It’s about the same cost of trying a new restaurant.

People forget that GW launched shortly after WoW, and succeeded when WoW was wrecking the numbers of the rest of the Genre. That was a hefty accomplishment then.

I’m also glad I played Koster’s sandbox SWG. Fairly sure that will NEVER happen again.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i didn’t do all the titles, got all the mini pets, bought all the skins and fought my butt off to get completion and hero armor just so you can buy it in the gem store.
if you want HoM rewards, earn them like anyone else.
GW1 is still online and a wonderful game, heck, if you want mini pets i have some spare if you so much need the rewards.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Hmm some people seem to have issue that they must play a different game to get these skins/pet skins/minis/titles. I can understand that. But honestly, while these skins are fantastic, not everyone can get them if they’re not willing to go through the method that is already in place for them to use. So either go through the method and get them, or not.

“I shouldn’t be forced to do something I don’t like or spend money to get something I like!” Really? I enjoy many of the Legendary skins but since I don’t want to put the effort into it, I’m not getting them. Someone earlier mentioned the Balthazar backskin item, which is sPvP exclusive. They like it, but since they don’t sPvP, they won’t get it.

There are gem store items I want, sure. But I don’t want to spend too much money, whether real or in-game gold, on the gem store. So I’ll just have to deal with not having them.

What the OP is complaining about is the method by which these skins are obtained, which they view as a combination of spending money and doing something they don’t want to do. They’re willing to spend money, but not do the actions required beyond spending the money. Sadly, that’s not enough in this case. Getting these skins requires that, and they’re not going to change it because you don’t like GW1. I don’t like sPvP or grinding for materials, so I’m not going to get the skins related to those actions. You don’t like GW1, so you aren’t going to get those skins either.

You have a choice, you’re choosing the direction of not getting the skin. I hate it when people say this, but deal with it. If they made all the skins in the game easily obtainable, then there would be little to work for. Either do what is required to get them or not, simple as that.

Posted by: Malevil.2104

Malevil.2104

Simply NO.

I’m sick of ppl want to use money as shortcut for everything.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

If they did that, people in Guild Wars 1 would rebel.

This already happened when they released a sequel that in no way resembles the first game.

I know right?!

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

BrotherBelial.3094

I hope they’ll do it some time. The people who played GW1 can have them for free and have them free to apply, the ones that didn’t play that game can pay for it and get it too and have to spend charges. Everyone happy.

I’d like to get me some HoM skins but I’m not going to play a completely different game that is 10 years old, outdated, doesn’t seem like a fun game to me and as far as I heard isn’t even a MMO.

Get for free? I had to Buy the game to get the skins. Hardly free. I think you need to look up the definition of free.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

……
and the GW1 population gets smaller…..

As a percentage of total? I don’t see this getting “smaller” in terms of actual numbers. GW1 players are likely the ones to continue playing for years to come. Even if they are not active now, an expansion or full on revamp to some critical aspect of the game could easily get them back. The great thing about this game is you can not play it for years and still return.

This won’t happen though. Anet already stated that there will be no more updates to GW1. It’s already in maintenance mode. I wouldn’t be surprised if GW1 support is only 1 person keeping it running.