[Suggestion] Less waypoints, more mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agent Clubbers.8562

Agent Clubbers.8562

The whole purpose of Guild Wars 2 PvE is to explore (and farm for legendaries). The entire game was pretty much built around exploring. Yet, waypoints are kind of like the reason people don’t explore, because there is a shorter way to an event. Maybe perhaps after an expansion, which would result in a greater surface area of the world, it would make sense to reduce the amount of waypoints for people to teleport to. Mounts like Moa’s which would only increase character speed by perhaps 25%, might convince people to explore more and give them more reasons to finish achievements instead of teleporting there. As long as ANET works itself up aesthetically, perhaps, mounts might be a good idea.

Just giving a personal example, and an example which applies, or did apply to about everyone once upon a time. CoF, I bet everyone with an 80 character has done CoF, it is a common dungeon. But all they need to do is guest and get there. When I leveled my first character, all I did was waypoint. But one day I sat down and decided I wanted map completion(mostly because of that shiny star, I wasn’t too sure about the legends, I hadn’t heard of them at the time, though it is a good incentive). And so when I went to do the map of CoF, I actually had a lot of fun. I met new people, people trying to level, people trying to map complete, and rarest of all, people there for the fun of it and helping their friends. The map Fireheart rise had several interesting events, which I am sure the community would enjoy, like killing the Godforged Hellstorm(Giant molten lava) with actual mechanics. Or the Noxius Castrum events. My personal favorite was uniting the grawl. So I think waypoints are the reason we miss these fun events. Of course, fun is my opinion, but still…

So what do you guys think?

(edited by Agent Clubbers.8562)

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

I think you haven’t played enough MMO’s where there is only 3 major checkpoints/waypoints in a map and the majority of content in 1 corner to which it takes approx 3 – 5 mins to run to only to die and no ressing allowed so off you go to run it again and again….

My Suggestion – NO MOUNTS – less costing on WP’s.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I think somebody recently posted the long list of threads also suggesting mounts.

I’m sure I could find them all if I used the forum search feature.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Well for a start mounts giving a speed boost of 25% would be pointless since pretty much almost every class has a trait or signet that gives this. So the boost from a mount would have to be more or they would have to give some other reasons for having/using them.

As for waypoints, you said people don’t explore because they use a shorter way to get to an event. TBH no one would want to explore if chasing down an event anyway. What we need here are more reasons to explore tbh.

I do like your idea of expansions bringing in a greater surface area and I too would prefer less waypoints in any such new area. Perhaps even thin the mobs out to create a real wilderness feel to them. Make it seem like you are off in a far off place and that it is far, far, far from anywhere and takes some time to get there. Of course the rewards for getting to said places should be worth the trek. I don’t what but they should be there.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Same answer every time someone brings this up. If you want to walk then go do it! Why must you force everyone else to waste their time as well? Who is forcing you to use a waypoint? There is also not that much to explore. There is the occasional interesting looking locations but those usually just end in … nothing.

You are attempting to create the gaming equivalent of a protection racket. Create a problem so you can provide the solution for it.

What is this whole obsession with mounts? -_-

Paulytnz.7619

Same answer every time someone brings this up. If you want to walk then go do it! Why must you force everyone else to waste their time as well? Who is forcing you to use a waypoint? There is also not that much to explore. There is the occasional interesting looking locations but those usually just end in … nothing.

You are attempting to create the gaming equivalent of a protection racket. Create a problem so you can provide the solution for it.

You may as well ask pet owners/lovers why they like to have pets. I’m sure it’s kind of the same thing just game-wise to speak lol. And no, minis don’t cut it…

It also cuts into how people DID travel back in times of what we would usually consider our dark/middle ages for these types of games. So to a lot of people not having mounts/travel options as such kind of breaks that immersion for them.

Me, I came from a game that had no mounts (well I did play PW for a while but that’s not what I mean) and where everyone instead used magic spells to teleport anywhere they needed to be. No fuss, just go go go. So for me mounts here would be a novelty, not needed but maybe something new to have/see.

Khisanth.2948

You may as well ask pet owners/lovers why they like to have pets. I’m sure it’s kind of the same thing just game-wise to speak lol. And no, minis don’t cut it…

It also cuts into how people DID travel back in times of what we would usually consider our dark/middle ages for these types of games. So to a lot of people not having mounts/travel options as such kind of breaks that immersion for them.

Me, I came from a game that had no mounts (well I did play PW for a while but that’s not what I mean) and where everyone instead used magic spells to teleport anywhere they needed to be. No fuss, just go go go. So for me mounts here would be a novelty, not needed but maybe something new to have/see.

Well how about the protection racket thing? This is basically the same. I’ll break your legs so I can sell you this awesome wheelchair.

Of the games I’ve played with mounts they didn’t add anything to the experience. Just a way to draw out the play time. At least some of them have the courtesy of allowing you to just set a destination and then you can basically go AFK as your character slowly(relative to waypointing pretty much everything is a slow walk) walks over.

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

I don’t know OP.

You kinda explore to get the Waypoints first, so your point falls a wee bit short. Course, if someone chooses to rush over to grab all the WPs in a map instead of exploring every single nook and cranny they miss out on things but it’s their choice. If you wish to explore every bit of Tyria and take the walk instead of WPing, that’s great but it’s still your choice.

I (and probably hundred of thousands of others at this point in the game) have Full Map completion, I’ve seen pretty much all of Tyria and I gotta say that as much as I love Wayfarer Foothills (Favourite map.) I’m done running around huge distances unless I want to cover ground on foot on a whim. Even if you give me a mount it won’t make me want to run around anymore than I do now.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

Agent Clubbers.8562

Well, Guild Wars 2 isn’t “any other MMO”. They actually want you to do events by yourself, not as a long dragged out story line where you go walk over there and then you kill 10 chickens. They want you to do this by yourself, and waypoints are preventing people from doing this, as there is no journey, its just, ok lets get here(Like a quest system) so we can farm this dungeon for hours until an exotic drops(Bad example, but that’s how it worked). That’s not how the game is suppose to work. The usage of mounts is a good reason for people to explore and may give incentive for people to keep playing.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

In order to waypoint, you have to uncover the waypoint. It’s not exploration if you’ve already been there. Those whose play style is explorer (unless a new player) have already doe their exploring. The current direction in GW2 is away from exploration, since little has been added that can be explored.

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

It doesn’t matter if you have mounts or teleports. People who enjoy exploration will explore, those who care only about point A to point B will do just that. I’m the latter and even in games with no mounts or teleportation. I click the auto run button and watch my character run until I get to a point, pretty much ignoring everything until I get there, sometimes I point to the general direction, auto run and then go afk if the run is long enough.

[DONE]

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

Waypoints do not prevent people from making journeys.

As I said, you have to make the journey to get Waypoints in the first place. Also, there is no reason why Waypoints prevent people from committing themselves to running about because it is a choice to pay a few silvers and get to wherever they need to be. If someone wishes to explore, they can explore. If someone wishes to WP, they can WP. It’s a matter of choice.

As you pointed out, you went exploring and met people. There were people exploring as well. It’s just that when it comes to completing a goal people will want to do things as efficiently as possible. You can’t tell someone to run for 10 minutes, complete random events and do JPs when all they want to do is to grab a dungeon run. It defeats their goal of farming a dungeon and certainly annoying.

Give people mounts and remove waypoints and most of them would just get on the mount and press R, brb for 30 seconds or a minute before making a slight turn and then repeating the process. That’s what most of the people I know did for WoW and other games with mounts and needed to go on long “journeys”.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This whole breaks immersion argument isn’t a good one. Yes, in the middle ages, people used mounts to go everywhere and do everything.

That’s because in the middle ages people didn’t have waypoints. Had they had waypoints, and Asuran portals, mounts might have been less of an issue.

What you’re doing is breaking your own immersion in the game by not recognizing the convenience of waypoints in game. Waypoints exist in game as part of the game.

Having mounts everywhere would break immersion. lol

Agent Clubbers.8562

I just found it disturbing that areas, after being explored to an extent just die out, that was my main problem and why I suggested having people go through the place themselves. Lion’s arch is always crowded, along with maps such as Frostgorge sound, and Queensdale, but most of the maps, such as Mount Malestrom, and Blazeridge Steppes are completely deserted. I basically went through the levelling process for my characters as if this was a solo game, soloing events, soloing bosses, soloing hearts, and on the rare occasion a guildie might join me making the process much more fun. ‘Defeated’ events are just sitting there and maps are devoid of life. That took the dynamic, out of dynamic events.

Posted by: Noliver.1475

Noliver.1475

This is a way to get people frustrated and quit.

Think about it for a second.

Take me for example. I work daytime and only have 1~2 hrs play time per day..

out of the 1~2 hours I will want to be WvW, fighting bosses, crafting, PvP, etc most of my time. (Hint. Traveling is not in one of my preferred activities!!)

If waypoints are scarce I might be spending 1.5hours out of 2 hours running…. which is freaking boring and tedious to do.

after a week I will quit. If i want to play a running simulator, I will get Wii Fit not GW2.

If you like running, by all means run! but dont take away my WPs because I and a lot of people do not enjoy running everywhere

Posted by: Noliver.1475

Noliver.1475

I just found it disturbing that areas, after being explored to an extent just die out, that was my main problem and why I suggested having people go through the place themselves. Lion’s arch is always crowded, along with maps such as Frostgorge sound, and Queensdale, but most of the maps, such as Mount Malestrom, and Blazeridge Steppes are completely deserted. I basically went through the levelling process for my characters as if this was a solo game, soloing events, soloing bosses, soloing hearts, and on the rare occasion a guildie might join me making the process much more fun. ‘Defeated’ events are just sitting there and maps are devoid of life. That took the dynamic, out of dynamic events.

This can be solved by,

Making more champions appear in those maps that are closer to way points (More train routes other than just Queensday and Frostgorge)

Make more world events in those area.

Make more collectables in the area for chests or special vendors

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I agree. Waypoints make the world feel so small.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You still have to explore the map with each character to “activate” the waypoint. Mounts are needless luxury items in a world where everything is within a minute of an active waypoint.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

While I understand your feelings, removing waypoints would do nothing to change this. All MMO open worlds are under-utilized once players reach max level and the “endgame.” GW2 is no different. If there were no waypoints, people would still only go where their endgame pursuits take them.

In fact, if you use either zone chat or guild chat (assuming you are in one), you might find that asking for help with an event might bring someone there, whereas if they had to spend 20 minutes “riding” there, they’d more likely just pass.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Waypoints are fine, no mounts please.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Khisanth.2948

That is not a problem caused by waypoints. That is a problem caused by a lack of any compelling reason even visit the map. The karma from one map is as good as another. If you wanted a particular item that is only available on a certain map (yams from harathi hinterlands) it would be more efficient to farm gold than risk the RNG. No reason to visit heart vendors except for cooking ingredients and maybe a weapon or armor skin. Very few to none of the karma vendors from events offer anything useful. Some have gimmicky stuff that one devs considers their existence to be a bug. Some are just outright ripoffs.

Also without waypoints people are going to be even less likely to stop and help with any events. With waypoints I could help with an event and then jump back to whatever I was doing. If I am forced to run both ways you can’t pay me enough to help (friends would be an exception but no way for a stranger).

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

On one hand, WPs make the world feel terribly small. On the other hand, even if you walk the world is terribly small.

The wold of Tyria is one of the smallest MMO worlds around. Even if you’d remove all WPs the world would not feel much bigger. Additionally, it would totally break WvWvW.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i propose the opposite. no mounts but wps every few meters.

Paulytnz.7619

Well how about the protection racket thing? This is basically the same. I’ll break your legs so I can sell you this awesome wheelchair.

Of the games I’ve played with mounts they didn’t add anything to the experience. Just a way to draw out the play time. At least some of them have the courtesy of allowing you to just set a destination and then you can basically go AFK as your character slowly(relative to waypointing pretty much everything is a slow walk) walks over.

I hardly think that if Anet ever added mounts to the game and giving us the OPTION to aquire them is the same thing as a bunch of thugs coming in and saying give us money or face physical violence/death. Seriously that is so far off the mark. Sure OTHER games may have made traveling in them without mounts unbearable, but surely you should know by now that GW2 is not like those OTHER games.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Khisanth.2948

I hardly think that if Anet ever added mounts to the game and giving us the OPTION to aquire them is the same thing as a bunch of thugs coming in and saying give us money or face physical violence/death. Seriously that is so far off the mark. Sure OTHER games may have made traveling in them without mounts unbearable, but surely you should know buy now that GW2 is not like those OTHER games.

That was referring to the OP’s suggestion actually.
However every time they release a gem store item I get less and less certain about ANet as well.

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

this game does NOT need mounts oi

Naz ©

Posted by: ObsiMoth.6342

ObsiMoth.6342

It’s not possible to just add mounts for the purpose of travel. They would have to do mass zone redesigns to make it viable.

As something to collect mounts are super awesome though, and having more cosmetic items like mounts or minipets is always a plus in my book and you don’t need to redesign the way people explore just to include them.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Mounts don’t really add anything to my personal gameplay. I like waypoints a lot more.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

No mounts

Less WPs , but WPs better placed on the map.

Here is another thing they shouldn’t have changed in the Guild Wars series. \]

There shouldn’t be any WP in the open world. When you die you get rezzed near a resurrection shrine nearby if you choose to release.

Posted by: tyler.2569

tyler.2569

I’d like to see mounts just for cosmetics. So much of this game, for myself and many others, is about the progression of developing your characters cosmetics: finding the right skins, crafting the right weapons. Having something like a giant Krait for my Necromancer to ride on would add such fun to the cosmetic game for me.

Also, as underwater fighting has different moves: imagine if each class had a limited set of moves on mounts – could be cool

It just adds more fun for me; who knows, maybe a few others agree.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Sure wish the search actually worked so people could use it before rehashing an already covered subject.

The ‘mounts’ subject has been ridden to death and rejected so many times.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Sure wish the search actually worked so people could use it before rehashing an already covered subject.

If the search feature actually worked like a search feature is supposed to then people might use it more and we wouldn’t get admonished by “the authority”(can’t use the real name for fear of being infracted, which may happen anyway) for posting repeat threads that has happened several times on these forums.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

If the search feature actually worked like a search feature is supposed to then people might use it more and we wouldn’t get admonished by “the authority”(can’t use the real name for fear of being infracted, which may happen anyway) for posting repeat threads that has happened several times on these forums.

I just report them to the mods and ask for a merge.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I think that we should have both mounts AND waypoints.

Mounts encourages me to explore, waypoint let me save time if I don’t want to. Skyrim had both and it proves that having both can work.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

For a person who thinks PvE is a means to an end, I LOVE waypoints. More please. I simply want to get where I am going fast, kill the champ for dragonite ore I need to make ascended and just get back to WvW or PvP.

Your suggestion, at best, would only be of interest to PvErs which is but one of several segments of players.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

When I am feeling less likely to want to pay the cost of waypointing, I run to the event I wish to partake in. Whilst running there, because the event is likely to be time-limited, I surely don’t stop to ‘explore’ or such things.

I’m not sure having a mount or having less waypoints would encourage exploration or even taking part in events along the way to a destination. Though I might take part in DEs or whatever on my way back.

Truly, though, if an in-game announcement (either from mapchat or the game itself) appears, or I know it is time for an event (such as the Marionette), I don’t want to miss out by having to run there, because there aren’t waypoints.

There is always the choice to use them, or to not use them, and I think more choice is best. =)