[Suggestion] Spirit Shards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Please add more ways to spend spirit shards. Right now, they’re only really useful for people who want to make legendaries, among few other things. I have around 4000 shards at the moment (after making 4 legendary weapons) and I bet that there are people who have way more.

It would be nice to spend it on something useful, like gear, special kinds of runes or sigils, or maybe even on a mastery point. If you get 1 spirit shard for leveling up, surely it would be fair to offer players a mastery point for 100 shards each. It’s just an idea, though.

It would also be nice if players could spend them on karma. It’s a way more useful currency, one that won’t really break the economy of the game as far as I know.

If not, there are also laurels, which you can currently only get by logging in. It would be nice if players were allowed to speed up the process of getting what they want by playing the game (leveling up -> getting the shards).

Maybe it’s a terrible idea alltogether, but I feel like at least one of those ideas for spending spirit shards could work.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Yoroiookami.3485

I meant things other than expensive-to-make weapons and material upgrades. It’s a nice list though.

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

I meant things other than expensive-to-make weapons and material upgrades. It’s a nice list though.

What’s he’s showing, is that you can effectively convert shards into gold, by buying the other materials for the recipes and then selling the finished product

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What’s he’s showing, is that you can effectively convert shards into gold, by buying the other materials for the recipes and then selling the finished product

Correct.

Basically, the answer to your question as you reworded it is: no, there aren’t other things you can make — if it were easy to turn shards into gold, everyone would do those things and the shards would become less valuable. Plus, ANet would make them harder to obtain.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If more ways to make gold with them is a bad idea, then give us something to spend them on that’s not a direct way to make gold.

How about X spirit shards gives you an butterfly aura for an hour. Or for X spirit shards your account has plus Y magic find for a time. How about buying a combat transformation that last X amount of time, like the Watchknight tonic. Or looking like one of the story line NPCs or a human shaped fire elemental that looks like he’s made of glowing glass with fire dripping off it, useable in combat. There’s a lot of thing that could be bought with spirit shards. There’s nothing that says it has to be to make gold.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Surprise … it takes a little effort to turn <currency other than gold> into gold.

Let’s see, last month I made 57 gold in 27 days using only the daily shards on mat promotions. It’s not a lot if you are looking for 100s if not 1000s of gold but it’s not a bad supplement.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Yoroiookami.3485

I feel like you all (almost) missed my point. I wasn’t speaking about gold, though of course that would be nice. I was talking about ways of spending them in general. I’d love to buy something useful with them.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But they are a currency for unique “crafting” materials; materials you use them to make something you can use or sell. And there already is a fairly substantial list of items to craft. Sorry you don’t see anything useful on that list.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes