Suggestion: Subscription Plans

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

No way in hell.
That would be my last day in GW. I’ve never played any subscription based game and never will.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I read in another thread no one offering ideas for making money so this thread is intended to offer an idea where the company and player meet halfway: optional subscription plans. They can be divided into gold, platinum, and diamond. A player with no subscription can use the trading post three times per day.

A gold membership could be $10 per month with these benefits:

-You’re given a certain amount of gold per day for logging in (not a fixed amount of gold but scales with gem/gold conversion prices to ensure an amount that will always maintain some value even in the face of inflation)

-Ranked PvP privileges

-Daily scratch for winning exclusive skins

-Can use tradeing post 10 times per day.

-Reduced waypoint and vendor cost by 25%

-Access to WvW for 15 times per month. To avoid abuse you’d get kicked from WvW after three hours to ensure each time you log in doesn’t count as just WvW’ing just once.

A platinum membership has all of the above but is $15 per month and even more gold per day.

-May WvW 25 times per month.

The diamond membership would be $25 per month and:

-In addition to the normal scratch will have an exclusive diamond scratch where you have better odds of winning rare stuff and diamond scratch only skins.

-Access to a farming area with unlimited respawns. For example in a Wintersday room could be an unlimited spawning supply of gingerbread men who drop presents. But the catch is such a room is only open for two hours per day.

-Unlimited tradepost postings.

-Reduced waypoint and vendor cost by 50%.

-Unlimited raiding runs.

-May enter WvW anytime they want.

You know this what you offer is a death sentence in this already pretty dead game? right?
25$/month?…too much alcohol I guess.

(edited by Ragnarox.9601)

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

If Guild Wars went subscription 50% of the players would quit immediately.

And it’s not going to happen anyway.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Mech.4679

Mech.4679

This idea is the most ridiculous thing I have read on the GW2 forums. You are trying to make this game pay 2 win ? Most people play this game over some other variant which we should not call by name because of no subscription etc.

Making this game p2w + make us pay subscriptions is really pathetic. Then they also need to delete the gemstore which I guess makes more money than 10dollars/month.

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

I really hope (and kinda expect) you’re trolling here, but if not:

1: This might well kill the game (and the developer even, I’d certainly never trust them again).

2: They don’t need your help for making money, they’re probably making plenty from the cash shop and RMT (and I suppose from somewhat small expansions sold at full game price, although those should actually cost a lot to make).

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

Sounds like a suggestion which should be forgotten quickly

Exactly , idiotic suggestion

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The only “subscription” I would find acceptable in GW2 is a checkbox in the Purchase Gems window that says “Automatically purchase this amount of gems at the beginning of every month” right next to each purchase amount.

At the end of 12 continuous months of autobuying gems with your card, you get a discount on your next purchase or a coupon for a free gem store item, value dependent on the amount you’ve been autobuying.

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

We must understand that Anet is a business and to stay alive needs to make money. How does it do that? Provide services a player wants.

Really ?
The year ago Wildstar had idea about subscription, also to be game for “hardcore” players , and it didn’t work well , hehe.
Probably simmiliar innovators are already works for Anet , too many ridiculous ideas are in our game recently , like 10k drinks to finish achievement etc .

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

play swtor if you want such stuff.
i buy gw2 gem card every month and use it to buy mostly outfit/armor or if i want to craft legendary i will keep them to help me craft one, IT IS NOT ABOUT MONEY. it is about tension free and not being under pressure that you must spend money to remove limitations, IT IS ABOUT SPEND YOUR MONEY ON WHAT YOU WANT.

Posted by: Calista.1975

Calista.1975

I read in another thread no one offering ideas for making money so this thread is intended to offer an idea where the company and player meet halfway: optional subscription plans. They can be divided into gold, platinum, and diamond. A player with no subscription can use the trading post three times per day.

A gold membership could be $10 per month with these benefits:

-You’re given a certain amount of gold per day for logging in (not a fixed amount of gold but scales with gem/gold conversion prices to ensure an amount that will always maintain some value even in the face of inflation)

-Ranked PvP privileges

-Daily scratch for winning exclusive skins

-Can use tradeing post 10 times per day.

-Reduced waypoint and vendor cost by 25%

-Access to WvW for 15 times per month. To avoid abuse you’d get kicked from WvW after three hours to ensure each time you log in doesn’t count as just WvW’ing just once.

A platinum membership has all of the above but is $15 per month and even more gold per day.

-May WvW 25 times per month.

The diamond membership would be $25 per month and:

-In addition to the normal scratch will have an exclusive diamond scratch where you have better odds of winning rare stuff and diamond scratch only skins.

-Access to a farming area with unlimited respawns. For example in a Wintersday room could be an unlimited spawning supply of gingerbread men who drop presents. But the catch is such a room is only open for two hours per day.

-Unlimited tradepost postings.

-Reduced waypoint and vendor cost by 50%.

-Unlimited raiding runs.

-May enter WvW anytime they want.

Attachments:

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

seriously?……………………………………………………….

Attachments:

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

You need to learn OP

Anet people used to work for Blizzard they worked on several things like Warcraft, Diablo 2 and also created battle net. They even suggested to have a Buy to play system for Wow. The greedy people at Blizzard did not like that idea. With limited resources and a great idea they found NcSoft a backer to their new idea and game.

With NcSoft Anet came up with a game that was not a Wow clone instead of an open world they gave us open world towns, with instanced areas to fight in. A unique design and they promoted it as when you are in those instances you and your party are the only ones in there so no distractions from other players. It was limited though, but people still love it after 10 years.

Then Anet was going to create a new game (Campaign) for Guildwars Called Utopia. A South American Aztek style design. The Chronomancer was one of the new professions for example.They started talking wanted this and that for the game. Things like jumping, and open world. This is documented in a magazine article from PC gamer magazine. Unlike most companies that usually have an expansion at least half way done. Anet did this article with only Ideas for a new game nothing at all done.

They had to do something with Guildwars to give people new content so they dropped the new campaign, and decided on an expansion. So Eye of the North was created. This expansion was also unique it introduced new races that will be in Guildwars 2 like the Asura, and Norn. It also allowed the player of Guildwars to have a place that would be their legacy for Guildwars2 called the Hall of Monuments.

After five years Guild wars2 was born. Actually that is really fast since that was only from ideas and nothing was done at the time. People still complained that it took too long lol.

Anet has always been a developer that wants to be different. Anet does not make Wow clones. All games have similarities to each other, but game play and design of GW2 is nothing like Wow. In fact Wow has copied some things from GW2 like jumping puzzles.

Anet created the Buy to play model it is not a free to play game. You must purchase the game to get the content. They do now have a free to play system which is limited, but once you purchase the game everything opens up for you. You do not even have to start over with your F2P characters. All of the progress you make with them will still be there after purchase. Then you do not have to pay each month like a subscription game.

You are right in one aspect this game is worth a sub fee for some people, but it was never designed for that. It was designed as a cooperative mmorpg where people help each other to complete goals.

Some people accept Gw2 for what it is different. Some people want it to be their old game including Gw1 players. That’s what makes it great it is not conforming to one game, but to several game types. It has already had a game similar to it kind of a clone called Elder Scrolls online.

I give Anet Credit for not conforming the what other games are doing. They design their games to be different for a reason. They designed it as an option to those games, and gave people the ability to play it without having to pay another sub fee.

Posted by: MCHarris.5648

MCHarris.5648

If this gets added ever I lose access to things I already paid for, I get this is a business and everything but PR is important as well and doing this would completely ruin it and I would definitely demand my money back from feeling scammed

Posted by: pigpen.9780

pigpen.9780

Yes this would be the best idea ever and would make me come back to the game so that i would not have to play this Taxiwar grindfest that this game now is . But then again i am playing a game where i can go sailing ,Horseback riding , kill monsters, Craft pretty much everything, have housing, my own workers ETC . And go AFK while fishing and make money at the same time .HAHAHHA yes i am loving Black Desert And the NA/EU game release date is right around the corner .Pretty much everything i ever I like in a game and have gotten plus its Buy to Play once and that’s it . OH wait was that some GW2 had @ one time but now is all hidden cost and grind fest time gated and free to play ? Ha a fun with the game.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The only “subscription” I would find acceptable in GW2 is a checkbox in the Purchase Gems window that says “Automatically purchase this amount of gems at the beginning of every month” right next to each purchase amount.

At the end of 12 continuous months of autobuying gems with your card, you get a discount on your next purchase or a coupon for a free gem store item, value dependent on the amount you’ve been autobuying.

This is a good idea. For the people who do buy gems alot, this would save them time. The incentive is also good. ANet have done this in the past, I remember one Christmas they did buy 4000 or more gems and you got a green quaggan back pack, and a mini Mr Sparkles for free.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

looks like ts is very new to gaming community….

i play gw2 exactly because of the buy to play model. theres a lot of sub games out there and u can easily join one of them

ty and hav a great day.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

A player with no subscription can use the trading post three times per day.

I stopped reading after this. No doubt the rest of your idea is more stuff about taking the same functionality way from people who already had this functionality when they bought the game. Given what this game is and as advertised, that would be nothing short of bait and switch.

The only acceptable subscription is this:

a $10 monthly subscription plan would automatically give you $10 in Gems a month.
a $15 monthly subscription plan would automatically give you $15 in Gems a month.
a $20 monthly subscription plan would automatically give you $20 in Gems a month.
a$25…… and so on.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Well, maybe we first should agree or disagree on having a premium sub or not.
And if you already entirely disagree, would there be a way to make you agree?

Incase we would have enough people interested in this suggestion we could discusse which kind of advantages would be healthy to provide such a premium subscription.

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Yes this would be the best idea ever and would make me come back to the game so that i would not have to play this Taxiwar grindfest that this game now is . But then again i am playing a game where i can go sailing ,Horseback riding , kill monsters, Craft pretty much everything, have housing, my own workers ETC . And go AFK while fishing and make money at the same time .HAHAHHA yes i am loving Black Desert And the NA/EU game release date is right around the corner .Pretty much everything i ever I like in a game and have gotten plus its Buy to Play once and that’s it . OH wait was that some GW2 had @ one time but now is all hidden cost and grind fest time gated and free to play ? Ha a fun with the game.

You’re aware that you just finished bragging about the biggest P2W Abomination on the market right now… right ?

Posted by: eureeka.5368

eureeka.5368

I think the PM was not hugged by his mom and seeks attention. You are just feeding him, hes sitting in his chair thinking how can i keep trolling these dimwits stop feeding the troll please. Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Tiny Tove.3589

Tiny Tove.3589

Tier 1 subscription gets you onto the child free server.
Tier 2 gets you onto the no teenagers server.
Tier 3 gets you on the “nobody under 30” server.

Of course, that would expect Anet to treat some of us as adults and that is extremely unlikely to happen.

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

Game doesn’t need a subscription because they don’t have a problem earning money, they just have a problem where they keep making mediocre content at a glacially slow pace. More money won’t fix this because their problem is awful management and lack of communication between departments and a clear lack of focus, not a lack of cash flow.

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

“We must understand that Anet is a business and to stay alive needs to make money.”

This appears to be your most fundamental statement that you are arguing for. What makes you believe that Anet is suffering for funding right now, however? Since the creation of Guild Wars there has never been a subscription fee. (Which, by the way, was created solely to cover the costs of servers over a decade ago, and server costs are so minuscule now even Blizzard’s publicly financial information leaves a footnote stating that the price of server’s isn’t included because it is so small.)

Anet has since created a second MMO, Guild Wars 2, which is one of the most successful MMOs to come out in the last few years in terms of copies bought, and size of population still playing the game.

With MMOs that are considered a success, and obvious future plans provided by the company (included in their twitch channel shows), what makes you believe they are at risk of not having enough money to support their company and games?

Posted by: Loner.3452

Loner.3452

If Anet need money, just make BLTC keys way cheaper and sit back and watch money rolling in.

+1 this is the best.
target audiance increase = sales volume increse
&
just like jackpot it look lucrative and also addictive

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“We must understand that Anet is a business and to stay alive needs to make money.”

This appears to be your most fundamental statement that you are arguing for. What makes you believe that Anet is suffering for funding right now, however? Since the creation of Guild Wars there has never been a subscription fee. (Which, by the way, was created solely to cover the costs of servers over a decade ago, and server costs are so minuscule now even Blizzard’s publicly financial information leaves a footnote stating that the price of server’s isn’t included because it is so small.)

Anet has since created a second MMO, Guild Wars 2, which is one of the most successful MMOs to come out in the last few years in terms of copies bought, and size of population still playing the game.

With MMOs that are considered a success, and obvious future plans provided by the company (included in their twitch channel shows), what makes you believe they are at risk of not having enough money to support their company and games?

I saw other games do models like that, but idea should be scrapped since the consensus is overwhelmingly negative.

League and class balance is a total disaster and I have listed some potential solutions for it:

1.Ranked play must queue with those within 10% of their MMR, so a 90th percentile player (mid ruby) would be the lowest a top 1,000 player can queue with.

2.Matchmaking based on seeding rather than combining league with MMR. So you will be paired with equal players against weaker or stronger players. For example if a season starts all are at amber as usual, but Abjured and The Civilized Gentlemen would never face each other until legendary. The best teams in a division will face the worst ones, ensuring that the skilled will quickly get out of a lower division. Then when people get to a league appropriate for their skill level the win/loss would even back out to 50%. If you’re a 90th percentile player you’ll reach mid ruby, get stomped by legendaries and diamonds, and then start winning more as the better players have ranked ahead of you so your win/loss record will be level until you get better.

3.Groups getting weighted in the matchmaking, so for faster times a duoQ and tripleQ can be paired together (all within 10% MMR of each other) can be paired against a QuadQ + solor or full premade.

4.Stronghold no longer in ranked.

5.New PvP maps that involve channeling doors open to progress, channeling at the opposing team’s base putting an emphasis on offense and defense, or channeling nodes instead of just standing on them. None of these new maps would have NPCs to avoid a better team losing due to opportunistic lord rushing or getting tranquility, recovering, and surpassing the other team (if they truly deserved to win they would have been able to take the nodes through actually engaging on the nodes) but straightforward goals that put an emphasis on mechanical skill and teamwork.

6.Radical rebalancing of classes, especially toning down some passives.

7.Rebalancing global cooldowns to account for all the chill flying around. The current for an interrupt for example is 3.5 seconds. I would factor in chill and reduce it to 2.75. As said players will be chilled, a lot. I’d keep some cooldowns the same however to account for how OP the skills are, as leaving them the same would be a nerf in real world terms since cooldowns across the board in general will be reduced (some like DH traps and stealth gyro need to be increased somewhat even in light of this).

8.Able to lose pips and tiers starting from amber.

9.Poach some of the talent that worked on Rohan.

I think this will help bring more players into sPvP and league tags were a step in the right direction. Games like Astral Realm, War Rage, and Black Desert Online are threatening to steal some customers away from Anet.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: IntheCoconut.3497

IntheCoconut.3497

Guild Wars would most likely lose money doing a subscription. It is no longer a successful business model (see Secret World, ESO, TERA, ect.). Only a few veteran games (WoW, Eve) were able to suck a player base in because there were no other payment methods available at the time.

A-Net can attract more players with a free-to-play model, which also increases the traffic of their gemstore. Sure, with a subscription they get a more steady, reliable source of income, but a large portion of the playerbase would stop playing. With the playerbase crippled, the game would inevitably die. So much of the content is dependent on having servers full of people to contribute.

The thing with being F2P means that people are free to leave and join as they please. When playing WoW, I got burned out and I never went back because I didn’t want to have to continue paying for it when I knew I’d only get on casually. For Guild Wars, I might take a break but I always come back and am willing to spend money on the new cosmetics that I missed out on while I was away.

What is better? Having a small group of players willing to spend money every month? Or potentially millions of people willing to drop $5 here and there?

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

This is the most amazing idea I’ve ever heard. Amazingly terrible, that is. Wait, I know, let’s do away with in-game currency and make everything in-game a micro-transaction charged straight to your credit card. Want to waypoint? It’s only 10 cents!

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I couldn’t quit this game fast enough if they ever implemented anything that even resembled a subscription.

Posted by: Rho.1923

Rho.1923

OP, your idea is very pay to win. I’m against it.

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

I saw other games do models like that, but idea should be scrapped since the consensus is overwhelmingly negative.

League and class balance is a total disaster and I have listed some potential solutions for it:

1.Ranked play must queue with those within 10% of their MMR, so a 90th percentile player (mid ruby) would be the lowest a top 1,000 player can queue with.

2.Matchmaking based on seeding rather than combining league with MMR. So you will be paired with equal players against weaker or stronger players. For example if a season starts all are at amber as usual, but Abjured and The Civilized Gentlemen would never face each other until legendary. The best teams in a division will face the worst ones, ensuring that the skilled will quickly get out of a lower division. Then when people get to a league appropriate for their skill level the win/loss would even back out to 50%. If you’re a 90th percentile player you’ll reach mid ruby, get stomped by legendaries and diamonds, and then start winning more as the better players have ranked ahead of you so your win/loss record will be level until you get better.

3.Groups getting weighted in the matchmaking, so for faster times a duoQ and tripleQ can be paired together (all within 10% MMR of each other) can be paired against a QuadQ + solor or full premade.

4.Stronghold no longer in ranked.

5.New PvP maps that involve channeling doors open to progress, channeling at the opposing team’s base putting an emphasis on offense and defense, or channeling nodes instead of just standing on them. None of these new maps would have NPCs to avoid a better team losing due to opportunistic lord rushing or getting tranquility, recovering, and surpassing the other team (if they truly deserved to win they would have been able to take the nodes through actually engaging on the nodes) but straightforward goals that put an emphasis on mechanical skill and teamwork.

6.Radical rebalancing of classes, especially toning down some passives.

7.Rebalancing global cooldowns to account for all the chill flying around. The current for an interrupt for example is 3.5 seconds. I would factor in chill and reduce it to 2.75. As said players will be chilled, a lot. I’d keep some cooldowns the same however to account for how OP the skills are, as leaving them the same would be a nerf in real world terms since cooldowns across the board in general will be reduced (some like DH traps and stealth gyro need to be increased somewhat even in light of this).

8.Able to lose pips and tiers starting from amber.

9.Poach some of the talent that worked on Rohan.

I think this will help bring more players into sPvP and league tags were a step in the right direction. Games like Astral Realm, War Rage, and Black Desert Online are threatening to steal some customers away from Anet.

Your statement has nothing to do with your original argument, about bringing in a subscription based payment option for this game. Your feelings about PvP are likely better discussed in a different thread.

I’m going to take a couple guesses here, as you didn’t draw a connection between your feelings about PvP and subscription payment plans.

First, am I correct in the belief that Anet seems to have need of more income due to a poor implementation of leagues and balance in PvP? Just as a statement, I’d agree that PvP is in a very poor place right now, but again, that belongs in a different thread.

Second, I’m not sure what your first statement is about, could you clarify? Are you saying you’ve seen other game models use subscription payments and they should be scrapped? Or are you saying you’ve seen other buy to play MMO games that receive overwhelmingly negative comments and should be scrapped?

(edited by Cyanchiv.2583)

Posted by: rager.4963

rager.4963

Or they could just make a game that people enjoy, Work with the community. and balance the game in a sense that gives players choices?

It is not our Job to make them money. It is on them to do it. If they fail, that is on them.

The FREE feedback gaming companies get from players is amazing. When you have other companies having to pay people to give feedback. If they can’t make choices on that feedback. If they can’t design a game that is fun for all types of players. That is on them.

If what they want to do takes too long, and they don’t have the “time” to make the changes, That is also a problem with them. We are fans, We are not here to “support” them if we are unhappy. That is for THEM to make us want to support.

(edited by rager.4963)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

If you want to play a subscription based game then go play one, otherwise leave this one alone. I don’t understand people like you. You’re the same as those people who keep trying to get the trinity into GW2 (no, the trinity isn’t in GW2 right now, the way healing and tanking works in GW2 is very far from the trinity and can be done by almost anybody) when there are tons of games with a trinity they could be playing.

Posted by: Joshua Valentine.6417

Joshua Valentine.6417

(snip) this person’s horrible idea

Just…no.

Attachments:

Grumpy Woodsman.
Jade Quarry Forever.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

I agree, theGW2 model is best in market imo, appart from maybe EVE and its no coincidence both of these games use professional economists to manage the market. Here are a couple things that we get through this:

After 3 years:

- no sub to play the game – its easy to shrug at this, but 24 hours free access to a persistant server and instances for free is pretty awesome.
- Almost everything that was sellable on day 1 is still sellable (compare that to something like WOW)
- Rich players are allowed to get rich, and there is things for them to buy.
- Inflation is stable, e.g ecto
- New players can join the game and can easily afford gear that makes them competitive and choose to either gather gold or fund whatever they desire.
- Exchanging gold for gems has not ruined the economy.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Realizing full well this is a troll post to incite the forums I still say no.