Suggestion: addition of player inspection

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PhantomFC.7538

PhantomFC.7538

Hi i’m a pretty new players to GW2 and enjoying the game a lot! however as a new player i have yet to learn a lot about the game and therefore all the different costume styles, weapons and gear. I love collecting new weapon and armor skins and whenever i see a player walk by with a cool skin i’m always intrigued and want to find out what skin they’re using, often asking players is a hassle and time consuming for this reason i think it would be really cool if there was a player inspection feature added to the game, so i can see what armor/weapon the player is using and maybe even more things like how many AP points they have.. if anyone agree’s with me or even has further suggestions they’d like to say then feel free to speak your mind i’m intrigued, and if any dev’s are reading this please let me know your thoughts!

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

I wouldn’t mind a way to inspect other characters either, it would be nice to not have to shift+click all my gear upon joining a dungeon pug. It could bring some problem to those who’re not running meta builds though.

You can already see how much AP other characters have if you’re in their party or in the same Guild just hover over their name.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

The purpose you propose is the main reason I would like to see an inspection added.

However, there is an alternate purpose which is likely the reason it won’t be implemented; if there were an inspection tool, you would see a lot more players kicking other players from groups simply because they weren’t “up to par” with their gear for example in dungeons or fractals.

As a result, this would worsen the experience for newer players that are learning the game, and it would certainly affect their decision to play certain types of content if they are kicked immediately upon joining for their first time, as well as possibly leaving the game as a whole if they determine the community is hostile.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

player inspection has been brought up several time and from what I remember the community is split on this idea becuase of the elitist attitude it would bring along with kicking players from groups for not having certain gear/build etc.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I really don’t see asking players as being a hassle. It promotes social interaction in an online game where you are intended to interact with others.

The ONLY way I would ever somewhat support an “inspect” feature is… if it inspects wardrobe only. So items would be viewed as white rarity skins with no stats shown.

Like others have said the AP points are viewable from the party window, the guild window, and the friend list.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can also take screen shots and post here, on reddit, or elsewhere and ask people to tell you the colors/skins used.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

A feature that list the names of the skins or the name of the outfit I would support. No stats.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

NO THANKS…
The ability to inspect other player’s skills/traits/stats would be a bad idea for PvP and PvE.

Every build has strength and weaknesses.
If a player inspects my build, that player could make a build to counter mine before we even start a PvP match… It’s cheating.. It’s like looking at your opponent’s deck and cards on their hands.

Also a bad idea in PvE because it would encourage newbies to copy another person’s playstyle instead of being creative and making their own. This game is about building your own playstyle and mastering it for whatever contents you like. Inspecting would discourage that since newbies wont learn through experimentation and veterans will cheat in pvp by creating counter builds before the match.

Just don’t…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can always go to your bank and to the wardrobe section there. From that spot you can preview every armor skin in the game, except the cultural armors on other races.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

What the OP asking is skin inspector, it is not a bad tool as long as you cannot check another players build and gear stat.

Posted by: SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

SirPrizeBartSachs.4670

Usually people are flattered if you ask them about their armor skin, go ahead and just whisper them

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I’d like to see this and I’d like gear stat inspections as well. I’m curious as to what people are running a lot and being able to just take a gander would be nice

Like others have said the AP points are viewable from the party window, the guild window, and the friend list.

It’s too bad that AP is a useless metric for judging how good a pug is going to be

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I’m pretty against it.
I’ll use an example why. When I pug I bring a build (skills, traits and gear) that is 90% zerker. For the rest I bring a bit of increase in group healing. The reason is that some pug’s are bad and I want to come prepared. I prefer to have a smooth run, but want to be able to save the day when we don’t. The lack of dps is extremely small and people normally don’t notice that im not 100% zerker cause of my dps output.
With an inspection option it would mean that people with not a clue how my build work, judge it as bad, just cause it is not 100% zerker. Even having it optional (declining it) would still mean it changes the allready elitism in pugs in an even more negative way.

So no. If you want to know what I’m using ask me nicely and I likey tell you.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Miku.6297

I’d like to see this and I’d like gear stat inspections as well. I’m curious as to what people are running a lot and being able to just take a gander would be nice

With the abuse and elitism a gear and spec inspect would cause, I’m 100% against this. A gear inspect tool would rarely be used to just look and commonly be used as a tool to promote exclusivity.

It’s too bad that AP is a useless metric for judging how good a pug is going to be

I never said they were a good metric to use for judging someone, if you check my post history you would see I agree, AP means very little in terms of skill. I simply stated the ways a player could view another players AP; the OP was asking for a way to do this.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

With the abuse and elitism a gear and spec inspect would cause, I’m 100% against this. A gear inspect tool would rarely be used to just look and commonly be used as a tool to promote exclusivity.

I never said they were a good metric to use for judging someone, if you check my post history you would see I agree, AP means very little in terms of skill. I simply stated the ways a player could view another players AP; the OP was asking for a way to do this.

There’s nothing wrong with exclusivity. Why would you want to force players to play with people who they would want nothing to do with if they could actually see what they were running?

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Miku.6297

There’s nothing wrong with exclusive play if it’s done politely, but A-net is focusing on inclusive play.

Do you see the elitism in your statement? “Why would you want to force players to play with people who they would want nothing to do with if they could actually see what they were running?”. Keeping this kind of attitude OUT of the game is a good thing in my opinion. It’s because of this attitude and mind set that I would hate to see an inspect gear/spec system introduced.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

I don’t mind it being used for skins, It should just display what the skins name when you mouse over the certain armor pieces.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

There’s nothing wrong with exclusivity. Why would you want to force players to play with people who they would want nothing to do with if they could actually see what they were running?

1. no one is ‘forced’ to do anything. Basing choice of what they wear is already done in certain dungeon ‘exclusive’ groups, no need to expand on that.

2. what some people might call exclusive, others call being obnoxious.

3. basing a choice of who you run with on what they wear or on how much AP they have is rediculous. The only reason you would base it that way is when you absolutely want a maximized power build. But in that case you’re not guaranteed quality either.

Dressing up in full zerker gear and jewelry means nothing if you can’t back it up with the right trait choices and skills. And having a lot of AP means nothing if you’ve never run certain instances either.

Personally, i’d rather have someone who knows what the hell they’re doing with decent gear then someone with great gear who doesn’t know head from tails. And trust me, there are players with a lot of AP that don’t know diddlysquat when it comes down to it.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

i dont care about equipment or zerking but i would love this just to get better looks at ppl’s outfits and weapon skins……..but if they add it then we must make it so that the party leader can never be kicked, i dont want meta sheep kicking me for my silly custom gear combinations cuz i could care less about maxing

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

To see skins and dye combinations, sure. Maybe even a character bio for rpers. But if stats are visible, we’ll just get generic MMO gear checking to do anything. That’s not what this game is about.

Posted by: Sealreth.1425

Sealreth.1425

No thy, its non of other players business what armor/gear or build I run. I like my privacy.
I do not like being an open book. if they wanna know they can ask. might actually get some good socializing. It does not fit the ‘’run what you want non role based gameplay atmosphere’’ of gw2 either.

If they do implement it, they should add a option to make it private aswell.

Sethy Alre [Main: Thief, 19 Characters] -
[TSP] The Shadow Phantoms – Guild master
Gunnar’s Hold

DreamyAbaddon.3265

No thy, its non of other players business what armor/gear or build I run. I like my privacy.
I do not like being an open book. if they wanna know they can ask. might actually get some good socializing. It does not fit the ‘’run what you want non role based gameplay atmosphere’’ of gw2 either.

If they do implement it, they should add a option to make it private aswell.

They should… and they should make it private by default too.
Let’s see how many players will actually care to put the effort in making it public… probably very few…

Miku.6297

Let’s see how many players will actually care to put the effort in making it public… probably very few…

The problem is… those that wish to use it to exclude and “gear check” others are simply going to say, make it public or kick same as if they don’t like what they see.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

The problem is… those that wish to use it to exclude and “gear check” others are simply going to say, make it public or kick same as if they don’t like what they see.

How’s that different from “ping gear or kick” we have now?

DreamyAbaddon.3265

kitten you’re right…
Then forget my suggestion… Keep gear inspect out of the game.
Gear inspec discourages newbies from learning how to make new builds and encourages cheaters who go on PvP matches…

Miku.6297

How’s that different from “ping gear or kick” we have now?

How often do you see that? Very few runs are “ping gear” currently. If a system were built into the game to allow it, the issue would get FAR worse not better.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

This and DPS meter would make the game lot better,information make players better as they finally have tool to improve there build.

Miku.6297

Currently most players can tell roughly how they are doing with out a meter, gear checks, dps meters, and other tools used to exclude people from play really have no place in GW2.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

One of the slightly creepy features that Blade & Soul has is the ability to capture any other player which saves the entire character model so you can clone them for yours. B&S has sliders to adjust major bone lengths, there is probably 100 different settings that you can tweak in terms of body and face. And I think you can trade these models with other players. This isn’t equipment, just the underlying model.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

OP has asked about SKINS/GEAR (visual aesthetics of a character) therefore I am under the impression they want a feature that goes somewhat like this:

• Click on character you like
  • right click that character portrait
  • from drop down select “inspect character”
  • inspect character brings up a panel similar to hero panel displaying that character
  • in this new panel the following exists;
    (a) You can view the armor/weapon SKINS that character is using
    (b) You can swap to dye panel and see all the DYES that character is currently using on those skins
  • an additional option may exist such as “preview this theme on YOUR character” which would then copy-paste all armor/weapon/dyes onto a preview version of yourself, however, in terms of cultural armor this would simply either keep or remove/leave blank that particular skin

I can honestly say, as interesting as it would be I am one of those people that like my own, unique characters as opposed to seeing everyone and their mum’s brown dog running around looking exactly the same… Haha. But yes as others have stated some games out there already have a feature like this.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

No to a stat inspector. Keeping elitist mindsets out of the game as much as possible would be fantastic. As mainly a PvE-er I find it horrendous the amount of abuse hurled around in PvP. Keeping that toxicity out of PvE would be fantastic.

With that being said I know why “elitists” run what they run and I do understand it, but a lot of the time things could be handled better on their part. Also people joining the groups specifying “no <profession>” and “more than <x> account points” when they don’t fall under those categories shouldn’t get mad when they are kicked. The description in lfg is there for a reason after all. Respect is needed all around.

Yes to a skin inspector, though as many people have said you can already check skins at the bank under the wardrobe tab or ask the person using them – people generally don’t mind answering. I know I wouldn’t mind

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I think this kind of feature would be good, as long as you can only see the names of the skins and not the stats or colour on the gear. They could, however, add an additional feature that lets you view the stats, but ONLY if it’s limited to viewing the gear of people we’ve added as friends, and even then, ONLY if they’ve ticked an option that allows it.

Posted by: skillze.7689

skillze.7689

Just NO! its perfectly fine to whisper and ask a person what skins they are using, I’ve had people ask me before and I was happy to tell them. I dont want people inspecting my gear even though i run zerker its my choice to want to stay individual and not have clones of my own skin types running around. Some people spend hours months getting the skins to look that way! So why waste even more coding time for a stupid and useless feature!!!

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I really don’t see asking players as being a hassle. It promotes social interaction in an online game where you are intended to interact with others.

The ONLY way I would ever somewhat support an “inspect” feature is… if it inspects wardrobe only. So items would be viewed as white rarity skins with no stats shown.

No, asking people what that skin is isn’t really a hassle.
But being ignored 99% of the time and having to go dig through the wardrobe trying to find it when you may not even be sure what type of item it was kind of is a hassle.

The only real argument against an inspect feature is the extreme elitism that it enables in more people (and I side with this argument vehemently).
But I think most people who want an inspect feature just want to be able to see what that cool skin is.
Yeah, I’d like to be able to ask the person, it lets them show off, know their efforts are being appreciated, and I’ve had a few great conversations with people about skins I asked about.
But the majority of people I’ve asked simply ignore me, and I’m left to wander the wardrobe hoping to find it.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Inspection should ONLY reveal the armor and weapon skin names.

Stats, AP, item rarity, etc. should all remain hidden or else this feature will be used to discriminate against new players.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I love it when people ask me what skin I have. So please, ask away!!

Don’t want inspect option unless it is strictly to show the skins. As someone that runs fotm50s in gasp non-meta gear, I don’t need hassling from some meta sheep about how I’m not in full zerker.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

OK, trying really hard not to jump the gun here.

Normally when people say “I want player inspection” they are asking to see the specific stats people are wearing, what runes and sigils they have equipped, what color the gear is, how they have their skills laid out, their trait points spent. Etc Etc. In other words, they want an easy way to laugh and exclude people that don’t meet their stringent left field beliefs on how the game “must” be played. To this, I say No. Abso-kittening-lutely NO! (Get the impression I have strong feelings on this topic?) If people want to know what you’re running, they can ask and then you can share if you feel like it.

Now, what the OP asks for is simply a means of seeing what skin the player is displaying. I am ok with that. A simple means of seeing, ok this person is wearing the krytan top, prowler gloves, and illustrious breeches. Or they are wearing the Noble Count outfit. Something like that I’m perfectly ok with. Heck, for the gemstore stuff, they could even build in a little toggle that will take you to it in the store for purchase (if available) if they want. I’d be ok with that too.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.