Suggestion: remove underwater combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Q:

Hi GUYS! :DDDD

Underwater COMBAT sucks! DDDDDD:

ArenaNet knows it TOO. See the removal of underwater PVP from sPvP (which we all KNOW is the end-all be all of GW2, with ESPORTS and etc!!!).

Underwater combat only HURTS the game. ARenaNet CLEARLY can’t be bothered to make air-breathers with quality higher than MASTERWORK, or fix most of the UNDERWATER bugs, or help improve its balance. Also, having to design three kinds of underwater weapons only SLOWS down the design of weapon sets for the GEM Store, as if anyone would buy them ANYWAY.

So, I say: the way to deal with it is to AMPUTATE. Here’s a small HOW-TO so ArenaNet doesn’t have to WORRY about the LOGISTICS:

1. INTERFACE changes: the current interface when swimming on the SURFACE (the bubbles hiding the skill bar) will also appear when diving in and swimming underwater. No more UNDERWATER skill bars. The current slots for all underwater equipment will simply be DELETED.

2. Underwater players will receive the DETERMINED buff and become invulnerable. Same for ENEMIES and other NPCs. Players can still explore underwater areas, JUST not FIGHT there.

3. Remove all water from WVW and replace it with solid ground. Don’t LEAVE the holes there like NOOBS, fill them with ground. A FEW things would be lost - water gate entry into Bay, for example - but nothing really of consequence.

4. Speaking about no losses, remove ALL underwater events as well. Most suck ANYWAY.

5. Give REFUNDS for those with Legendary underwater weapons. Don’t refund the guy who crafted an Ascended trident (sorry AQUAMAN.4132, just SUCK it UP). Delete all underwater EQUIPMENT.

6. A FEW more things will have to be fixed EVENTUALLY. The Honor of the Waves dungeon will need to be adapted, but it’s already one of the worst-designed parts of the game anyway (it’s just boss after boss with a BAZILLION healthy points). Heck, you could leave it broken and NO ONE would notice. Or just explode it and blame SCARLETT.

The game would become much CLEANER and BETTER. No need to thank ME.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

A:

The designers dont seem to care one bit about Underwater combat.

They introduced Ascended Armor, but cannot even be bothered to introduce an Ascended Aquabreather into the game (which is a piece of your armor and replaces your helmet’s stats while underwater including the rune!) to complete the underwater Ascended gear set. Before you say this is unimportant, there is a whole fractal that contains only underwater combat!

Incomplete mechanics either need to be completed or removed. Either make it so we get an Ascended Aquabreather, or we use our land helmet even while under water. But no, they just have leave it at that.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I like underwater combat. I don’t think they should remove it, so no, thank you.

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

Anet tried to make underwater combat that doesn’t suck, but many people (including myself) thinks it still sucks. Can’t say I’d be sad if it was removed from the game.

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Wow, angry much.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I doubt they’ll remove it. Would require quite a major overhaul of both mechanics, enemy behavior, personal story instances and more. Doubt its worth the time invested to bother removing it. Most people avoid it anyways.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Counter argument. Anet made it so you had to dive underwater and fight enemies in an awkwardly angled ship to get one of your grandmaster traits.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I enjoy underwater combat from time to time. There is a long list of things that ArenaNet is working on currently and many more things that they’ve put on the back burner. Who is to say that underwater combat won’t play a larger role in the future? That when it does they won’t give us options to earn and/or craft better aqua breathers?

If underwater combat were removed then we would either have no ability to swim or we could swim through large sections without any enemy engagement whatsoever? No thank you.

Learn how to fight underwater or gtfo.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Bobby.3721

Bobby.3721

This is a joke right?
Lots of bosses, skill point challenges, and story events have an underwater combat feature. To take that away soley on opinion would be silly.
And as far as wvw is concerned, you would have gobs of people hiding in the water because now it just became a safe zone for players. Filling up the water with solid ground would also take an excessive amount of time and effort on anet’s behalf that could have been spent patching more important things and working on new content.
If you don’t like it then don’t go in the water.
“But I have to in some situations and I still say underwater combat sucks with no real proof that it’s bad other than my opinion”
Well that’s just tough for you now isnt it

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

No,underwater combat is awesome and Anet knows that.It should be never removed from game.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

If they removed underwater combat, my pet shark would have to evolve into a land-based creature…and that’s just daft!
Not to mention all those diving goggles left lying around the map…

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Silly suggestion, not signed.

Naet should improve the Underwater COmbat and the whole concept around it with adding more game content, that is based on it…
Underwater Combat is sadly like a kind of unwanted step child gaemplay feature so far, which doesn#t got any love …

This has just to change …

These steps need anet to do:

1) Implement Exotic/Ascended Aqua Breathers as drops from underwater creatures, as loot from chests, make them craftable and let us upgrade the rare ones via mystic forge to exotic/ascended.

2) Let Aqua Breathers work again like Head Guards. Don#t understand, why Anet removed that functionality, as Aqua Breather Stats/Runes don’t functionize underwater, because the Aqua Breather doesn#t functionate as the Head Guard anymore. WHen you have a full Rune Set of 6 same runes and you cgo under water, you will lose the6th rune effect and the game actually shows you also 5/6, because of the aqua Breather not fuctionating anymore as a Head Guard, because Anet deactivated it due to a bug that cause Aqua Breathers to give us also Stats and the Rune Effect while being on land… (don’t know, if that got fixed meanwhile, haven’t checked it out again for a long time)

3) Finally make a Balance Update on all of the Underwater Combat Skills and make changes on alot of all those Combat and Utility Skills in the game, which currently don’t work underwater.
Change them or exchange them with new different skills, that work in all territories, regardless if on land or in water.
Each Skill basically should functionate like Tornado, that changes into Maelstrom under water with a very similar effect

4) Add more Weapons that can be used also under water to give underwater more Build Options.
Following Weapons should be all useable under water:

• Daggers
  • Swords
  • Axes
  • Maces
  • Harpoons
  • Spear Guns
  • Staffs (exchanged with Tridents, Tridents are uneccessary and obsolete)
  • Scepters
  • Torches (Magnesium Torches can burn also under water, their fire color is just different!!)
  • Focus
  • Shields (really, when you can swim around with a large Spear, then you can swim around also with a shield in your hand …)

5) Anet needs to splitt finalyl the Trait System into Land Traits and Water Traits, so that each character should have 2 different Trait Charts beign able to spend trait Points for each Trait Chart differently.

While for example a Thief on land has with its land Traits a setting of 20.30.0.20.0, the same thief could be traited for under water combat with the seperate Water Trait Chart as 30.30.0.0.10 maybe because of the Water Trait Chart having completely different traits, that are based on the Underwater Combat Skills.

6) No class should lose its core mechanics when being in Water Combat, like the Thief, which mostly loses everything, that makes this Class special, like Stealth and Shadow Steps, because the current Underwater Combat System totally cripples that class down, cause of the core elements mostly not beign useable and Thieves lose also basically 2/3rd of their Utilities, as the are in the moment all not useable under water.
Thats just poor skill design and just shows, that the Devs that were responsible for those skills weren’t very creative there to come up with ideas how to design these skills, so that they work mostly all on land as like in water.

7) Add more content to the game that makes usage of the underwater System.
Don’t let us just way until the moment is finally there, that we will fight against the Deep Sea Elder Dragon, before we see here some significant improvements

• GW2 needs some specific Underwater only Dungeons
  • GW2 needs an Underwater Town, lets make somethign happen like a GW2 version of Atlantis perhaps
  • GW2 needs a playable amphibian race, redesign and implement the Largos as playable race in the way, how I suggested it here once.
  • Add a Underwater Combat PvP Map that is 100% under water with no land combat
  • Redesign the Borderland Maps and completely restructure the maps, so that each Borderland Map is completely different, so that there will be also one, that offers alot of Underwater Combat. Thats anyway also the only option Anet has to add alot of the goood EotM features into the rest of WvW.
    ANet won’t be able to run away forever from the fact, that they need to redesign the Borderlands one day, if they want tosignificantly improve WvW at all with anything, that they tested and implemented in the Edge of the Mists.

However, these 7 steps are thingsa, that require alot of work, so I guess, we might see something of these thigns firs,t when Anet brings an expansion or another big Feature Pack Update to optimize things in GW2.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Excellent points, Orpheal, particularly (6) and (7). The loss of core mechanics is probably one of the main reasons many players dislike underwater combat. Some classes are still quite fun to play, but my mesmer and ele feel kind of….awkward and cumbersome underwater.

Was hoping that the remains of the Nightmare Tower would be made into an underwater dungeon, toxic-themed weapons and armour would have been pretty sweet. Underwater town also gets my vote as long as it’s not full of kittening Quaggans, lol.

Posted by: AKGeo.6048

AKGeo.6048

I have made both Kamohoali’i Kotaki and Kraitkin. I love underwater combat. it’s more dynamic, more challenging, and more (excuse the pun) FLUID in design than above-ground fighting. No, I don’t love UW combat because I made the legendaries…I made the legendaries because I love underwater. But it needs work to be more popular.

There are a few pointed reasons for people disliking underwater combat:

1: There’s not enough of it. People are not accustomed to fighting with a true z-axis that doesn’t just involve Death From Above from a wvw cliff or tower wall. People always tend to be poor at something they have little experience in.

2: Some popular on-land classes have horrible underwater combat skills. Weapon skills for Guardians are underpowered and clunky (Spear wall?) and many utility skills that people rely on in on-land combat are disabled for UW combat (thief much? necro wells much? Krait can obviously ground-target necromancer aoes as seen in the second mob in the Underwater fractal, why can’t I? Because ground-targeting simply doesn’t work for obvious reasons.)

3: Narcissistic people can’t display their cool underwater weapons while afk’ing in cities.

Methods of improving underwater combat:

1: Make ground-targeted utility skills work the same way as demonstrated for engineer grenades. yes, you’ve set that precedent, so there’s no excuse not to.

2: Improve camerawork so when you’re maneuvering around underwater you don’t have things getting in your field of view (I’m looking at you, millions of pillars in HotW P2/3 end boss fights).

3: Have a more intuitive way of sinking oneself just like one can swim upwards by hitting the jump key.

4: Give us opportunities for MORE UNDERWATER COMBAT. The current end-game underwater combat is limited to: Underwater fractal, which is only tier 1, so nobody does it anyway unless they choose to roll for it instead of swamp. Fat chance. And Honor of the Waves paths 2 and 3, which are limited to just the boss battles which have hard-to-avoid one-shot kill hazards which turn players away. The remainder of underwater combat is either open-world nonsense or very small smatterings in various dungeons that can be easily skipped altogether. Bring us Bubbles the dragon, make it permanent content with unique rewards, and make at least half of it underwater-based. Give us alternate paths in dungeons that have significant UW fights. There’s a room in AC that can do exactly that. CoE is located underwater…lost opportunity there. Tons of water in Arah without any serious threat. Players will get more practice, therefore will likely start to enjoy it more, given the caveat of the other suggestions I’ve made being applied.

5: Complete the armor sets. Give us a full complement of aquabreathers of all rarities and stat combos. Dealing with just condi damage masterwork or soldier’s rare is unacceptable. Or just let us keep our on-land helm and remove aquabreathers as a mechanic altogether.

(edited by AKGeo.6048)

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

The biggest problem I have with underwater combat is the limited options you have. For an example, engineer speargun skills are terrible. If it’s underwater, it’s grenades or bust. If your land build is traited for nades, then you are much, much better underwater than another engi whose build doesn’t use nades on land. The amount of skills you have available underwater is very limited, and incompatible with a lot of builds.

Oh, and risen krait. Everyone hates the buggers.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I find underwater combat fine. People wanted flying in the game, if we had flying it would probably be similar to underwater combat. It should stay, exploring the underwater environments and seeing non-terrestrial enemies are fun imo. Anet, did remove underwater combat from sPvP its true but that’s an entirely different game mode. Having underwater and land base combat makes the game even more dynamic (combat wise) imo. For example, people that are skilled in underwater combat lure WvW players into the water because most player avoid underwater combat. Some players would even stop chasing you if you go into the water lol.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Can you tone it down on the caps lock?

Test.8734

I like underwater combat. I don’t think they should remove it, so no, thank you.

DUDE, it’s not about what I like or YOU like – it’s about what PEOPLE like DDD:

It’s the same thing as the CHARR. They’re cool, right? Right. Still, ArenaNet said they will NOT fix Charr armor – the CLIPPING, the lack of a hole for the tail, MORE clipping, the poorly estretched textures, clipping and etc – because very FEW people bother to play as the Charr.

Now, ArenaNet has not bothered with UNDERWATER content. They care so little about it that, INSTEAD of fixing it and adapting it for PvP, they decided to REMOVE it from that game mode.

THAT is ArenaNet’s way of saying “sorry, NO, we won’t fix this one”.

Now, do you WANT broken content in the game? NO?

So it’s “remove water combat” or “go home”. ArenaNet will not BOTHER with it.

Test.8734

Filling up the water with solid ground would also take an excessive amount of time and effort on anet’s behalf that could have been spent patching more important things and working on new content.

Exciting new CONTENT like Edge of the Mists, RIGHT?

LOOOOOL! Thanks for the joke, BUDDY. ArenaNet already began terraforming the BLs, they may as well finish IT.

Posted by: AKGeo.6048

AKGeo.6048

Instead of getting so obviously angry at Anet for having underwater combat, perhaps you should put in the time and learn the skills so you can do better. There’s nothing underwater that’s overwhelming for a good on-land built character with good underwater gear. If you’re that set on XYZ utilities which aren’t available underwater, you’re already lacking a level of skill. Namely, the level that allows you to change and adapt your utility skills and even weapon sets for the situations at hand. Learn your character, learn your expected enemies, and change skills accordingly.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I just wish my weapons underwater hit for as much as on land. Underwater combat is just so slow in comparison.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

The original POSTER of this THREAD is a complete MUPPET and needs to learn the TERMS subjective & objective DDDDDD:

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Underwater exploring is one of the best things in the game. It’s such a sharp contrast that underwater combat is one of the worst.

Posted by: Stephen McBeaven.5640

Stephen McBeaven.5640

Maybe they should remove land combat

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I wouldn’t call for the removal of underwater combat, but it most certainly needs HUGE revamping. It’s not surprising they removed raid on capricorn pvp map. My issue with changes is that it would need a ton of work, that it simply isn’t going to get any time within the forseeable future, and when it does come, there will still be cries that more important things still need fixing, based on past and present issues.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I just don’t find it all that fun. The guardian and warrior skills are not as fun underwater as they are on land. On top of disorienting targeting, this can make underwater combat sort of a drag. Throw in the history of underwater glitches – mainly all the ones that make the bad guys invulnerable – and the experience leaves a real sour experience.

Dunno if ‘underwater only’ weapons and skills was worth it in the end.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Speaking for myself, I love underwater combat and exploration. I’m not sure what other players are doing, but I feel OVERpowered in underwater combat. Luring enemies into water so I can kill them more easily is something I do on a frequent basis.

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Why do you type like that?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

As a warrior, I feel OP as hell when I go underwater in WvW lol. I kinda like it, cause people do so little underwater combat that most people don’t even know what their weapon skills are and get absolutely demolished if they follow me in. :>

As to the OP, can you please stop emphasizing every other word with caps lock? Jesus christ. I not only feel like you’d be the type of person to shout in my face irl when trying to tell a story, but condescending in general. It’s irritating to read.

I also disagree with what you’re trying to say and think instead of removing it, they should work on improving it.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Come on now ya’ll, the dude’s name is “Teste.” Why are you all acknowledging such an obvious troll attempt on a completely ridiculous request that Anet will never implement?

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I like underwater combat.
In fact, I sometimes use it as a safe haven to escape land battles, as I am more powerful under water with my pet against multiple foes.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I smell a troll, but just in case this is real…

No. Underwater combat/travel, despite its flaws, is still better left in the game than removed. And really, the only reason they managed to get rid of it in Spvp is because only one map utilized it there.

PvE/WvW is a whole different scenario. Underwater elements are present in most, if not quite all of those zones, and altering/removing that would not only be time consuming, but a waste of time better spent trying to improve it or something else.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

In my personal opinion, this game has better underwater combat than any other MMORPG in existence right now. Underwater combat is hard because it incorporates 3d sensibility into a game that primary functions on a quasi-2D design. The Ship of Sorrows highlights this issue dramatically.

Please keep underwater combat!

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: WolfiKurisu.6894

WolfiKurisu.6894

So the point of all the water in the game would be?..

This is a dumb idea. Underwater combat’s actually good. Not great, but it’d be a waste to remove it. Just coz players can’t be kitten d to learn it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

sounds like op cant grasp the concept of spherical fighting or is just bad and needs to lpt

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

Posted by: Gearbox.2748

Gearbox.2748

I like that they have tried underwater combat. and its the best try I have seen.

There are issues:

Lack of skills that work under water Utility – choice in Elite
The aqua Breather..- Just remove it. it does not work. can’t get crafted at high level. Can’t get better than green 80. Karma-bought= Karma sucks. – 7th rune needed. -sucks when it costs 15g
Necro minions -vanish if you run through water for just a few seconds.
A few to many weapon powers – do the push your self back ability…. more than needed.

The strange ( not fish-not bird )issue. of – if you swim in surface= no abilities at all.
But due to weapons abilities and monsters knockback, you end up in that section.

But I don’t want it removed. just fixed.

Considering that story-wise we are bound to fight Bubbles at some point- or at least it’s minions.- we will need a good underwater combat system.
This will include being inside subs, underwater turrets of some kind.- Likely more Largos- (and sadly more krait- one of the most annoying enemy)

So. devs. fix it-

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Honestly. OP. Please, just stop. Your writing is terrible.

Aside from that, underwater combat is actually fun and enjoyable but isn’t used as much and I can’t use some of my favorite skills. While this is understandable, I really want underwater-only skills since our first 5 skills change as well. Some tweaks will also need to be done.

Aside from this, in future update I want to swim in vast, vast oceans full of underwater cities and towns, it’ll be absolutely awesome.

Posted by: kanavana.7059

kanavana.7059

It would be catastrophic in WvW/PvP because if someone wants to go to safe spot, just go underwater.

Underwater combat is quite unique and it will be kepts as it is.

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

Underwater combat is fun, most people just dont bother learning their skills or upgrading their weapons.

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

This is one of the most ridiculous suggestions I’ve heard. Ignoring the fact that I actually quite enjoy the underwater content, why on earth would they spend so much time removing content because it’s not working as well as you would like it to? Surely developing Ascended aqua breathers and showing a bit more love to underwater content would be a far simpler fix than what you’ve suggested?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I love underwater combat and in particular I really miss the lakes and quaggie nodes in the borderlands. Owning a keep meant keeping control of your quaggie node too, and people who can’t fight there should leave my quaggies alone, or else!.

I miss my quaggies.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

To OP, before anything is really ANNOYING having to READ your opinions about UNDERWATER combat like THIS!!

Secondly, no one is gonna thank you for this idea.

Now let me tell you exactly whats wrong with underwater combat:

There’s no pre assign sink key, only surface (space) now most players just know in this kind of game you just hold the RMB and move it around, so you can easily dive like that.
The problem is in combat that doesn’t work, and even out of combat there are people who don’t know, I’ve had to teach many players how to do that on fractals specially because the only way they knew how to dive was aim down with the LMB and double tap to evade! Which goes without saying sucks and makes it look broken.
So assign a sink key to control your position in combat, use the RMB to move around OOC.

Next up skills, this is a tricky one since some professions (like thief) have must have utilities locked underwater.
Game breaker? No, you can cope with it, after all players love to cry for challenge (just the other day someone in these forums was mentioning while he was leveling he needed to go vs a mob 6 levels above him just to get a fight and even that wasn’t challenging), the you must remember to learn your underwater weapons.
Most, and I do mean most players just randomly press their keys, they have no clue what the weapon does what so ever.

And with those 2 points most underwater problems go away, learn to move, learn to fight.
Underwater combat is exactly like land combat, expect you are in a volume instead of a plane, you have different weapons and some skills are locked.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

There are a lot of problems with underwater combat but it is almost playable and there’s little point in removing it. No new PvP maps should have it except it remote corners though.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Out of all the MMOs I’ve played, GW2 has the best underwater combat.

It still sucks, but it’s better. =P

Still, a few classes are fun(ish) underwater, if you plan for it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I have made both Kamohoali’i Kotaki and Kraitkin. I love underwater combat. it’s more dynamic, more challenging, and more (excuse the pun) FLUID in design than above-ground fighting. No, I don’t love UW combat because I made the legendaries…I made the legendaries because I love underwater. But it needs work to be more popular.

There are a few pointed reasons for people disliking underwater combat:

1: There’s not enough of it. People are not accustomed to fighting with a true z-axis that doesn’t just involve Death From Above from a wvw cliff or tower wall. People always tend to be poor at something they have little experience in.

2: Some popular on-land classes have horrible underwater combat skills. Weapon skills for Guardians are underpowered and clunky (Spear wall?) and many utility skills that people rely on in on-land combat are disabled for UW combat (thief much? necro wells much? Krait can obviously ground-target necromancer aoes as seen in the second mob in the Underwater fractal, why can’t I? Because ground-targeting simply doesn’t work for obvious reasons.)

3: Narcissistic people can’t display their cool underwater weapons while afk’ing in cities.

Methods of improving underwater combat:

1: Make ground-targeted utility skills work the same way as demonstrated for engineer grenades. yes, you’ve set that precedent, so there’s no excuse not to.

2: Improve camerawork so when you’re maneuvering around underwater you don’t have things getting in your field of view (I’m looking at you, millions of pillars in HotW P2/3 end boss fights).

3: Have a more intuitive way of sinking oneself just like one can swim upwards by hitting the jump key.

4: Give us opportunities for MORE UNDERWATER COMBAT. The current end-game underwater combat is limited to: Underwater fractal, which is only tier 1, so nobody does it anyway unless they choose to roll for it instead of swamp. Fat chance. And Honor of the Waves paths 2 and 3, which are limited to just the boss battles which have hard-to-avoid one-shot kill hazards which turn players away. The remainder of underwater combat is either open-world nonsense or very small smatterings in various dungeons that can be easily skipped altogether. Bring us Bubbles the dragon, make it permanent content with unique rewards, and make at least half of it underwater-based. Give us alternate paths in dungeons that have significant UW fights. There’s a room in AC that can do exactly that. CoE is located underwater…lost opportunity there. Tons of water in Arah without any serious threat. Players will get more practice, therefore will likely start to enjoy it more, given the caveat of the other suggestions I’ve made being applied.

5: Complete the armor sets. Give us a full complement of aquabreathers of all rarities and stat combos. Dealing with just condi damage masterwork or soldier’s rare is unacceptable. Or just let us keep our on-land helm and remove aquabreathers as a mechanic altogether.

I agree with this post. Underwater combat is underutilized and enjoyable.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

1990 called, they want their MMO design back.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Y’know, I’ve always been bothered by the way some mountains aren’t climbable in MMOs.

GW2 should remove mountains. And jumping. GW1 didn’t have jumping.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Foosnark.1784

Foosnark.1784

Sure, and while we’re at it let’s get rid of WvW, and those pesky traits and skill challenges and elite skills and sigils and jumping puzzles and Warriors and Humans.

(Why would anyone want to remove a feature from an MMO, when MMOs need as much variety as they can get?)

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Personally, I would love an entire map (or two) of nothing but underwater cities and ruins… minus Risen and Largos of course :P

I would love to see them add or work on the fluidity of underwater combat though. Movement needs a drift to it and less instantly stopping and turning. This might also fix some of the huge underwater bosses that seem to be facing one way, twitch awkwardly and suddenly facing a perfect 180 without having moved at all. It’s odd IMO.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It must not be removed. It must be improved. There’s a lot to do with it before it works as it should.

For example:

• There should be more weapons. At least 5 new ones, +2 for professions that can swap and at +1 for those that can’t. There’s no need to make many new skins. Some could be simply be usual weapons that give new skills when equipped in the underwater slot. For example:
    • Dagger. Appears in 1 hand but gives 5 skills while equipped in the underwater weapon slot as a “diving knife”.
    • Pistol. Appears in 1 hand but gives 5 skills while equipped in the underwater weapon slot as a “flare gun”.
    • Focus. Appears in off-hand but gives 5 skills while equipped in the underwater weapon slot.
    • Scepter. Appears in off-hand but gives 5 skills while equipped in the underwater weapon slot.
    • Diving crossbow. Uses crossbow skins. Crossbow must be added to ground weaponry first, tho.
    • Now that we are at it, spear should also have a 1-h “javelin” ground version.
  • Every armor set should get a breathing apparatus version of their headgear, Some with a skin shared between all 3, some that simply use the ground helmet (sorrow’s armor looks perfect for underwater)
  • Several “spare” headgear pieces should also unlock their skin for the breathing apparatus, like the Gas Mask.
  • Artificers should be able to craft breathing apparatuses for all 3 armor classes. Why articifers? They only have 4 weapons and potions, and it makes sense for them to craft some magic piece of equipment capable of producing unlimited oxygen underwater.
  • Every single skill with no underwater version should get one. For example:
    • Traps should pop nets like those krait nets, but with a stealth effect, so allies can see them, but enemies can’t.
    • Ground-targeted effects should simply trigger on target or the player activating them.
    • Summons should create underwater versions of creatures that transform into the ground version when leaving water (and vice-versa). For example, a flesh golem would become shark-like underwater, while a fire elemental becomes a flowstone elemental, and a lightning one becomes a bubble-like seafoam elemental.
  • The “swim down” key should come bound by default. Right Alt is a good key for it. You can’t really fight underwater without the swim down key. The combat becomes clunky and much harder to control.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)