Suggestion: standardise the start of the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Even though the idea may sounds a bit lame, but in my opinion the, the start weapons and healing abilities need to be a bit more standardised for all classes.

1. suggestion: the start weapon
In this game, meele weapons are the best way to start into a combat for the first time.

a) heavy classes
To make the start consistent, Warriors, Guardians, and Revenants should all start with a mace. It’s a good and easy weapon for the start and new players (or new players to the class) are going to learn about the different ways, how one class uses the same weapon (takes effect for all following classes).

b) medium classes
To make the start consistent, Rangers and Thiefs should start with a one-handed sword, Engineeers with a pistol. For theses classes, a sword is a good weapon for the start. (Especially since they fixed/change the ranger’s sword auto-attack.) And Engineers got only one main-hand weapon.

c) light classes
To make the start consistent, Elementalists and Necromancer should start with a dagger, and Mesmers with a one-handed sword.

2. suggestion: the first skill aka the healing skill

a) Warrior
Mending is a good start skill. No change needed, although it finally should be put into a category. Physical for example.

b) Guardian
Shelter is a good start skill. No change needed. Although it finally should be put into a category. Consecration would be a perfect fit.

c) Revenant
Dictated by the start legend though, but Soothing Stone is a good start skill. No change needed.

d) Ranger
“We Heal As One!” is a good start skill. No change needed.

e) Thief
Signet of Malice as a signet is too hard to use, and too weak. Withdraw would be better start skill, especially since there shall be no stealth a the beginning.

f) Engineer
Elixir H is a good start skill. No change needed.

g) Elementalist
Same as Thief. Signet of Restoration is too hard to use, and too weak as a first healing skill. Glyph of Elemental Harmony would be a better start skill.

h) Necromancer
Consume Conditions is the least complicated healing for a Necromancer. No change needed.

i) Mesmer
Ether Feast is a good start skill. No change needed, although it finally should be put into a category. Glamour or Phantasm/Clone for example.
———————-

I know it’s not the most important matter in this game, but still a good way to make the so-called new player experience even more pleasant and — more important — more uniform.

(edited by AllNightPlayer.1286)

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

They already did, and I despise the “New game experience” updates the most. Everything is lvl gated, instead of “play and you unlock the most basics immedietely without needing to lvl up like mad”.

Every character pretty much start with a melee weapon now (or a short range weapon).

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I know it’s not the most important matter in this game, but still a good way to make the so-called new player experience even more pleasant and — more important — more uniform.

But why?

It would make more sense for each class to feel unique and distinct from the others at the start.

Doesn’t matter much either way, at this stage in the game completely new players are likely to be power levelling and veterans will jump straight to 80 via tomes.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Rangers and Thiefs should start with a one-handed sword

Are you serious? Don’t get me wrong, I love my one-handed swords on my rangers, but it’s hands down the most difficult weapon to get used to in the line-up of ranger weapons. Aside from that, the ranger sword skills don’t really have much in common with the thief sword skills, so what good is putting those as starting weapons?

As a general rule, I don’t see any advantage in leaving new players, unused to our combat system, the skills, skill animations, and dodge rolling, stuck with a melee weapon. The current starter weapons leave much more margin for error, making it easier for new players to learn the game and mechanics.

Especially new elementalists are often overwhelmed already due to the squishiness of the class. Making them start on dagger and going toe to toe with foes in the starter areas will surely turn a good part of new elementalists off the game before they even get a chance to really experience it.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I don’t see a good Idea here, all I see are the OP’s opinions, questionable at that.

They have brought more than enough choice limitations already.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

But why?

It would make more sense for each class to feel unique and distinct from the others at the start.

Doesn’t matter much either way, at this stage in the game completely new players are likely to be power levelling and veterans will jump straight to 80 via tomes.

I agree.

I think it makes more sense to go the other way and try to make each class as unique as possible at level 1. Or rather an accurate overview of the class as a whole, in as much as that’s possible with the limited number of skills/mechanics available.

The reason being many people, particularly new players, will be using the first few levels to gauge what they think of the profession and choose which one they want to stick with (at least at first).

Of course they should be aware that things can change a lot as you level up and unlock new skills and abilities. But they also shouldn’t have to commit hours to each one just to get a feel for them or be lead into the mistaken belief that they’re all very similar because they’ve all been given the same starting weapons and skills.

The weapons they have now are intended to be representative of the class. Whether that’s successful is debatable, but I still think it’s better than giving them all the same weapon just to make them ‘more uniform’.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

AllNightPlayer.1286

Are you serious? Don’t get me wrong, I love my one-handed swords on my rangers, but it’s hands down the most difficult weapon to get used to in the line-up of ranger weapons. Aside from that, the ranger sword skills don’t really have much in common with the thief sword skills, so what good is putting those as starting weapons?

As a general rule, I don’t see any advantage in leaving new players, unused to our combat system, the skills, skill animations, and dodge rolling, stuck with a melee weapon. The current starter weapons leave much more margin for error, making it easier for new players to learn the game and mechanics.

Especially new elementalists are often overwhelmed already due to the squishiness of the class. Making them start on dagger and going toe to toe with foes in the starter areas will surely turn a good part of new elementalists off the game before they even get a chance to really experience it.

Axe was good on ranger, but longbow is a kittenty weapon for the beginning (and no class should get a two-handed weapon for the start). And the “most difficulty” of the one-handed sword was the lockdown. But this part has finally been fixed.
As a veteran, I think it’s better to learn the meele first, about it’s dodging and all. Range combat should be introduce later, like — when do they get the next weapon? — this point.

But why?

In my opinion it’s more interessting the way like this: “Oh, this class can also use this weapon? And look, what cool things this class does with it.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Elementalist do start off with a dagger. In fact, most professions start off with melee weapons.

Starting equipment
Elementalist: dagger
Guardian: mace
Revenant: mace
Warrior: sword
Thief: knife
Mesmer: sword
Necromancer: axe
Ranger: longbow

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I just don’t understand what problem this is solving. I understand the game might be more difficult to adapt to than most of us long-time players will acknowledge, but I don’t think two-handed weapons are that difficult a concept.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

“Congratulations on graduating from wizard school. Budget constraints mean that we can no longer present you with the traditional gnarled staff and pointy hat so here is your very short dagger. Good luck, buddy!”

AllNightPlayer.1286

Well, if there isn’t any change for the start weapons, the signet healings really should be changed. Especially since you are stucked with them for a while.