Suggestion to fix Multi Map Wrong Sub

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Icethorn.6570

Icethorn.6570

When joining a player in a different subgroup that is in a different map, your player tag should instantly be moved to that subgroup. Instead of manually dragging your name to that subgroup.

This would prevent players from dragging themselves into the wrong subgroup.

This would ensure events like AB Meta Multimap don’t have any players in the wrong subgroups when constantly switching.

All you would have to do is write code which passes the subgroup value of the player being joined to the current player. Then use that a key to index into the correct Hash Table subgroup. I’m assuming your squad subgroups are setup as hash tables as that would be the most optimal data structure for them.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. It’s a fix for players who are doing a meta who drag their icon to the wrong subgroup. This isn’t a problem except for a few people doing one meta and performing a certain type of specific subgroup juggling who move their icons to the wrong spot and have to move it again. It doesn’t sound like the type of problem that needs Dev hours to fix.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Icethorn.6570

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. It’s a fix for players who are doing a meta who drag their icon to the wrong subgroup. This isn’t a problem except for a few people doing one meta and performing a certain type of specific subgroup juggling. It doesn’t sound like the type of problem that needs Dev hours to fix.

As a programmer its the type of problem that would take less than a day to fix.
I even stated a basic solution. It’s literally less than 50 lines of code. I’m sorry if you hear the words Hash Table and think its “too complicated”. Those that are in the industry would find this solution simple.

(edited by Icethorn.6570)

Icethorn.6570

something like this would work. It’s obviously not exact as I don’t know their internal functions, but they would get what I meant.

This function would be called when a player click join on another player in a subgroup different from theirs.

// Sets the player’s subgroup to the player being joined
set (player.subgroup, playerName)
{
player.subgroup = PlayerName.subgroup;
}

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

That sounds like a solution in search of a problem. It’s a fix for players who are doing a meta who drag their icon to the wrong subgroup. This isn’t a problem except for a few people doing one meta and performing a certain type of specific subgroup juggling. It doesn’t sound like the type of problem that needs Dev hours to fix.

As a programmer its the type of problem that would take less than a day to fix.
I even stated a basic solution. It’s literally less than 50 lines of code. I’m sorry if you hear the words Hash Table and think its “too complicated”. Those that are in the industry would find this solution simple.

I am constantly amazed at how some people assume to know how Anet’s code is written and how easy it would be to implement a solution in their code.
As a programmer since 35+ years I would never make such an assumption.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

50 lines of pseudocode, perhaps. The first time I had to debug code written by multiple people over a span of time taught me to NEVER assume anything but to expect the worst.

/spaghetti