[Suggestions] Future Elite Specializations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Fallen (Guardian elite specialization)

Once a valiant protector of Tyria, the recent events have shaked the Guardian’s faith and resolve, and s/he is now on the verge of madness and corruption, constantly being torn between his oath and his inner madness.

Concept
A recurring theme of the holy warrior archetype is the light vs darkness duality. (Think about Star Wars, Final Fantasy IV, Warcraft 3, etc.) As the “paladin” archetype of Guild Wars 2, I would have an elite specialization have you play a guardian that is on the verge of turning evil.

The Fallen is themed around a character that has two personalities: his usual guardian personality which is all about honor and selflessness, and his dark, evil and twisted alter ego. In the game, it is like playing two characters rolled into one, each having 2 distinct weapon slots, stats, and utility skill slots. The player can enter dark form (aka: fall into madness) anytime, but switching back to light form has a long cooldown and/or require you to be out of combat. This is also to put emphasis on the fact that this is not a shroud-like ability; if you switch to your dark form, you must commit to it because there is no coming back for a while.

(I’m leaving the balance of such a character in the hands of people that know the balance of the game far better than I do. I’m interested in themes and concepts here.)

New Mechanic: Collapse (F4)
The guardian falls to madness, swapping the stats, equipped weapons and utilities with those assigned to the dark form. You can never block during madness and all healing is reduced, but you gain increased damage. This alters weapon skills into “dark” versions of themselves, and corrupts the guardian’s Virtues into Vices:

• Vice of Tyranny: Replaces Virtue of Justice. Very long cast time with an obvious tell. If the enemy has more HP than the Fallen, it takes some damage, nothing special. If it has less HP than the Fallen, Vice of Tyranny deals far more damage. In either case though, Vice of Tyranny cannot kill or down the foe, essentially leaving it at 1 HP if it would otherwise kill it.
  • Vice of Corruption: Replaces Virtue of Resolve. Applies a short Corruption debuff to a foe. If that foe is defeated (not just downed) while the Corruption debuff is on, it will become a Corrupted Husk, serving as a mindless turret minion for the Fallen for a short period of time. The Corrupted Husk is killed easily, but it itself spreads Corruption, allowing for more Corrupted Husks to be spawned if not taken care of.
  • Vice of Cowardice: Replaces Virtue of Courage. Unblockable PBAoE fear+torment. (Boring, but I have no idea.)

New weapon: None
Instead of a new weapon, all guardian weapon skills are altered into “dark” versions after entering Madness, giving them slightly different animations. Generally, dark weapon skills are like their usual version but tends to replace the boons with conditions, the healing with bleeds or more damage, the aegis with unblockable traits, and so on. The Fallen also gets access to 4 weapon slots (sort of… the usual 2 for the normal form and 2 additional ones for the dark form) so I think that a new weapon would be too much.

New utilities: Corruption. (Obviously.)
You can only equip those on the utility bar of the dark form. As for weapon, both forms have their utility skill slots.

New elite: Vengeful Duality
Deal damage based on much HP you had lost in your light form before entering dark form, and switch you back to your light form for a short duration.

(edited by Bearhugger.4326)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Well when I say I think 9 classes would be enough, it will only be enough if they can get Elite Specs going nicely =-)

I don’t disagree, that, more would be good to be honest =-)

+1

As for Ranger as a Derv look at my Elite Avatar skill that I posted above. It would definitely work for Ranger and not so much for other classes, Avatars are fairly important to the Dervish setup. And really Ranger could do with a proper melee build.

True, but I wouldn’t call it “Dervish” then, as that is truly something I cannot associate with the concept of the Ranger profession (as it has a more “religious” spiritual background).

I am TOTALLY with you on the Druid front! I made a Ranger so I would never have to heal anything. LOL and what did Anet do! Made a heal Spec for Ranger LOL.

Indeed. That’s why I think that a separate Healer profession is in order (instead of “perverting” other professions for that purpose). The Guardian is heavy-armored, so they can’t give that profession a Monk elite spec.

Petition: Bring the Monk back! (Monk love, heartbroken) Monks were the poster boys & girls of GW1, they do belong in the GW universe and are dearly missed in GW2.

Attachments:

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

Indeed. That’s why I think that a separate Healer profession is in order (instead of “perverting” other professions for that purpose). The Guardian is heavy-armored, so they can’t give that profession a Monk elite spec.

Petition: Bring the Monk back! (Monk love, heartbroken) Monks were the poster boys & girls of GW1, they do belong in the GW universe and are dearly missed in GW2.

Ahhhh for the days of 55 Monks and 105 Monks…

And far more importantly Ahhh for the Days of my Dervish. I miss Dervish so much. Necro was my main for so long until Nightfall and the coming of the Dervish then I did every title and achievement I could do on my Dervish. The 2 PvP areas in Factions: Fort Aspenwood and The Jade Quarry were so much fun.

Sigh….

Please wonderful Anet return to us the Dervish.

Also Did you notice in GW’s 1 that if you went in order in towns when you have Cynn and Mehnlo and the other henchmen where they were, would tell a story in their stances and actions. It was so cool! I think it was Factions that did it. Might have been the other expansions as well I cant remember now.

(edited by Firebird Gomer.9563)

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Tho Guardian is a Heavy class and Engie is a Medium class. Monk should really be given to a light class.

That’s why I think it needs to be a new class, as neither Mesmers (“illusionist”) nor Elementalists (“uses the elements to deal damage”) make sense IMO.

It makes total sense to be the elementalist e-spec.

Weapon: main hand focus.
Espec mechanic: Changes attunements into prayers. Elementalist that goes in the monk spec instead of manipulating the elemental magic start manipulating magic directly from the gods.

It would fit the current lore in the game where [spoilers]…

Firebird Gomer.9563

So any other class need a better Melee Spec or Support Spec?

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

well guardian is still a pretend class, atm its play DH medi trapper of burn and leech from the team, even support mace/shield shouts its like being afk watching allies dying…

So yeah… some some classes need better roles…besides try to win against bad players or leech Anet power creep.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Firebird Gomer.9563

well guardian is still a pretend class, atm its play DH medi trapper of burn and leech from the team, even support mace/shield shouts its like being afk watching allies dying…

So yeah… some some classes need better roles…besides try to win against bad players or leech Anet power creep.

For a few weeks Guardian was ok in raids. Then the Nerf hammer hit.

To be honest, Anet could make a change to balancing in a easy way. Skill 1 on all weapons does +* Damage no debuffs, Skill 2 on all weapons does +* damage bleeding debuff. And so on and so on for every weapon skill for every profession. I know the armor and weapon buffs would mess with it a bit but everyone would be pretty much run the same weapons and the same armor stats so it wouldn’t matter.. Oh wait isnt that almost meta =-P

But with this solution no class could do much more than say 50 damage per hit.

Lol. Kidding. I like Guardian its my second favorite Profession. I think I will see what I can think of for a new Spec for that. Hmmmm

Posted by: Vindicus.1076

Vindicus.1076

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

Necromancer – Tormentor
Weapon – torch
Skills burn the ground that torment enemies that step inside. One skill can be like the well mordrem tormentors make.

i would see a necromancer in RL I would be very tormented xD

well I almost got it all right.