[Suggestions] armor skin ignore weight

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DreamyLove.8947

DreamyLove.8947

does anet can allow player use any weight skin on there char?

we already have outfit make all class can looks like same
so why not allow us can use other weight skin on our class too?

if can , it will very cool
ppl can mixed skin, make more diff style

if anet thinking this will let they lost something
maybe can let this cost 5/10 Transmutation Charge too

so they can make some ppl keep buy it form gem store

(edited by DreamyLove.8947)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they will one day but it won’t be an easy or fast undertaking as it will require redoing all the armor in the game and redoing the part of the game that says which professions wears what and both the bank wardrobe and the hero panel wardrobe.

Of course more choices are always good, so we can hope it will be done one day. I have a feeling though such a restructure of this basic feature would introduce a lot of bugs as well as taking many dev hours to do.

Thanks to a forum poster for this depiction of possible mixed armors.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

But then nobody would wear medium armor at all!

… actually, that’s not true. There’s a dude in my guild who’d LOVE to wear medium armors on his guardian.

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

[Edited by Moderation ]
I’ve grown to hate the weights so much! Also if we eliminate weights maybe we can get some outfits as armors instead – or at least more armors as rewards as they’ll be easier to make. Also can we get some standalone pant and chest skins?? Idk why we get gloves and helmets and shoulders all the time (toxic, dragonscale, bloodstone, etc etc) and even boot skins occasionally.. but NEVER any chest or legs? Is there some reason they’re afraid to do that? Armor weights is invalid because outfits. And a lot of the standalone skins would look different with weights too so.. (off topic now plsdontkillmeisorry) basically I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment good sir!

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Klutz.8609

Klutz.8609

I’d love that as well and also, can we have the option to hide our Outfit helmets and show the Equipment helmet instead when we put on our Outfit?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Its been brought up dozens upon dozens of times before. Its likely never going to happen because each armor class has specific areas where it places its armor “seams” (the places where, say, gloves end and chest armor begins, the place where leggings and chest separate, ect) and they’re different for all 3 weight classes. So mixing and matching them leads to a ton of clipping and broken looking meshes. It would either look really sloppy or require a complete redesign.

In fact, outfits are probably the solution Anet came up with to partially give people that aspect without needing to completely rebuild the armor system from the ground up. You can’t mix and match, but it lets you put your Guardian in skimpy cloth or have your Thief running around in heavy plate. So the basic premise is there and probably was one of the driving factors for why Anet created the outfit system in the first place (outfits didn’t exist when the game first launched, they were added later).

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I hate coats and butt/hip capes. Wish I could wear heavy armor chest pieces on my Thief. I also wish I could wear medium armor pants on my light and heavy classes cuz I don’t like metal buttcapes and ladyboy dressed much either.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

This would certainly increase character customization choices. I wouldn’t mind seeing it, and free wardrobe changes for items you have unlocked, or at least an unlimited charges gem store item.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Tho i allways mix armor skins in this game and im sure some mixes armor types would look very nice… im pretty sure most of the mixes would have cliping issues and would look awkward/cuted out.

I also dont like to see spellcasters in full heavy metal armor runing around…

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

… actually, that’s not true. There’s a dude in my guild who’d LOVE to wear medium armors on his guardian.

I would sell my soul to wear medium pants and light tops on my Necro!!!

DreamyLove.8947

“cut” position priority is by armor place first
when we wanna mixed weight skin,
we should already know some of it maybe will looks bad or conflict
but also some skin will looks nice without any tweak

don’t ask anet make every skin is no conflict

i will hope anet just try it
make all skin can choose, don’t wait make it perfect match

they test and change so much thing before so why not just try this too

Posted by: Azure.8926

Azure.8926

I think it has more to do with Anet wanting a class to look like its class in terms of armor. Themes and all that more than anything else.
It would be easy for them to lift the restriction and just do what they did with Gliding in the open world at first and go “At your own discretion”. I mean hell there are already armor combinations that have cuts or horrible clipping with armor from its own weight class that its been designed to work with to an extent…

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I enjoy different armor classes looking different. It is bad enough that outfits ignore armor classes already
I dont want to see guards or warriors in light armor or elementalists in heavy armor

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Blue Hare.8612

Blue Hare.8612

There are already some skins that are similar across classes, mostly gemstore head pieces.

In SWTOR there are armor weight classes, but then there is also “adaptive armor” that you can wear on any class.

I would like to see gemsore armor skins that you can wear on any class, shouldn’t be that hard to implement.

{Lepus Timidus}

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I agree with @Malediktus.3740. Every class has a certain feel and aesthetic. You look at a necromancer, mesmer or elementalist and immediately know: ah, that’s a mage. You look at a thief, ranger or engineer and know that it’s an adventurer type class or you look at a warrior, guardian or revenant and see the sturdy armor befitting a fighter class.

The armor weight is a big part of a class’s identity. Taking this away means taking away the only visual distinction between classes.

Imo making outfits work in combat was one of the worst decisions ANet ever made. Right after the decision to replace the town clothing system with outfits.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

I like this idea. Count me in.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

The main reason why people want this feature is because of the lack of variety and quantity in weight locked skins.

If ya aint gone give us new sheee at least let us use wutchu givin in the first block ya feel homie? Sheeee

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I figured they would add an elite spec that opened up a different armor weight to at least one class. Didn’t happen in HoT but maybe this and landspears in next expansion?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I would like this. And honestly I don’t care about the seams, if you want to wear different armor weights on your character then it should be up to you, and not ANet, to find a combination that looks good.

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

I figured they would add an elite spec that opened up a different armor weight to at least one class. Didn’t happen in HoT but maybe this and landspears in next expansion?

I wouldn’t count on it if I were you baabbbyyyyyyy

Posted by: myren.5490

myren.5490

I WANT THIS SO BAD. But to prevent it from being horribly bugged, Anet should not allow mix and matching between armor classes. Just allow light armor to purely wear heavy and prevent it from mix and matching.

Posted by: myren.5490

myren.5490

I enjoy different armor classes looking different. It is bad enough that outfits ignore armor classes already
I dont want to see guards or warriors in light armor or elementalists in heavy armor

This argument is silly because light armor guardians exist in other games as well. Templars from Dragon Age wear robes. Mages (Arcane Warriors) have heavy armor specifically made for them in the first game. If Anet thinks making new armor sets is too time consuming, allowing each class to wear any weight armor is an easy way out for a while.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

+1000
/15 Mushroom Pizzas

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

This argument is silly because light armor guardians exist in other games as well. Templars from Dragon Age wear robes. Mages (Arcane Warriors) have heavy armor specifically made for them in the first game. If Anet thinks making new armor sets is too time consuming, allowing each class to wear any weight armor is an easy way out for a while.

But this is not other games.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

But this is not other games.

That is not enough of a reason to say it shouldn’t be in this game.

My guess is it won’t happen due to the mix and match nature of armor and clipping. Players would expect heavy and light armor when mixed and match to not have clipping.

But I would not be opposed to it actually happening, and would not be one of the players to expect no clipping when mixing and matching.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Love the idea, however this has been suggested and answered numerous times…

Something about the way the three armor weights are modeled/rigged makes it so allowing this would require a tremendous amount of work. Which means it’s unlikely to happen any time soon.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

It could work if we were only allowed to transmute within a weight class. Put your heavy gear on but set the transmutation ‘protocol’ to medium -BAM! Trenchcoat guardian.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I completely agree with the OP. Please let us use all armor skins on all characters.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

DreamyLove.8947

anet already make outfit, so they not realy wanna keep every weight looks diff

i just hope they can open more
if anet not, pls make more armor skin for diff style
don’t copy old skin, change color, tweak textrue, than say it is new skin

and looks out skin
does our armor realy all looks like they weight?

Posted by: Meanma.5623

Meanma.5623

I like them! This is the first game that lets me wear trench coats so I’m going all out on committing a crime against fashion.

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

I would absolutely LOVE this. Even if it was a mastery to unlock or cost more charges, I love light armor but I don’t enjoy playing light armor classes, and I like my heavy armor characters but heavy armor pants are pretty bad a lot of the time.

For a game so centered on skins i’m surprised it wasn’t an option a long time ago.

And for those of you saying you don’t want to see light armor classes running around in heavy or anything like that, I really don’t understand why you think you get to care what other people are wearing on their characters. If you like the gear distinction then just keep that to your own characters.

Posted by: Annonrae.3681

Annonrae.3681

I like them! This is the first game that lets me wear trench coats so I’m going all out on committing a crime against fashion.

It’s not really a crime against fashion…it’s more like a crime against in-game reality, insofar it applies. While I can see Rangers wearing trenchcoats, a thief wearing one just makes no sense to me. A big, swishy coat is the opposite of stealthy; if our armor actually gave off sounds like real clothes do, you’d hear that thief from a mile away while they’re trying to sneak up on you.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It’s not really a crime against fashion…it’s more like a crime against in-game reality, insofar it applies. While I can see Rangers wearing trenchcoats, a thief wearing one just makes no sense to me. A big, swishy coat is the opposite of stealthy; if our armor actually gave off sounds like real clothes do, you’d hear that thief from a mile away while they’re trying to sneak up on you.

I mean if we are being realistic, thieves should’ve been light armor anyway, possibly switched with necros. ANet just wanted all the spellcasters to be light armor, and thief is definitely not a heavy armor class.

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

I mean if we are being realistic, thieves should’ve been light armor anyway, possibly switched with necros. ANet just wanted all the spellcasters to be light armor, and thief is definitely not a heavy armor class.

thieves/rogues are also medium/leather armor in just about every game. not really an anet thing. But i would probably make 5 thieves if they could wear light armor

DreamyLove.8947

we have this on every weight
so i don’t think anet can’t do alllow ignore weight

http://imgur.com/a/zNOiL

Attachments:

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Maybe they will one day but it won’t be an easy or fast undertaking as it will require redoing all the armor in the game and redoing the part of the game that says which professions wears what and both the bank wardrobe and the hero panel wardrobe.

Of course more choices are always good, so we can hope it will be done one day. I have a feeling though such a restructure of this basic feature would introduce a lot of bugs as well as taking many dev hours to do.

Hey, that’s my character!

And yes, other than the visual effects that picture shows, there would also undoubtedly be a lot of clipping issues when mixing and matching armour weights, such as heavy scale or light cloth skirts clipping through medium trench coats.

It’d be too many resources dedicated to solving the clipping issues when we already have a way of making your class look like a different class, namely the outfit system. But most people complain about that too.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

And yes, other than the visual effects that picture shows, there would also undoubtedly be a lot of clipping issues when mixing and matching armour weights, such as heavy scale or light cloth skirts clipping through medium trench coats.

It’d be too many resources dedicated to solving the clipping issues when we already have a way of making your class look like a different class, namely the outfit system. But most people complain about that too.

they really wouldn’t have to do anything other than duplicate all the skins into the other categories, same as how some skins already unlock. every item would just show up 3 times. Yes there would be clipping but honestly there already is even using just one armor weight. At least this way players could wear all light on their medium class if they wanted.

Posted by: Nemo.5609

Nemo.5609

The biggest offender against using random combinations of armor are chestpieces and legs. Medium chestpieces (coats) would clip impossibly into light legs (skirts), for instance. As for all other slots, we already have the same armor skins for all weights in gemstore items and achievment rewards.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Just a flesh wound.3589

they really wouldn’t have to do anything other than duplicate all the skins into the other categories, same as how some skins already unlock. every item would just show up 3 times. Yes there would be clipping but honestly there already is even using just one armor weight. At least this way players could wear all light on their medium class if they wanted.

It’s not just clipping. It’s the incompatibility between the placement of dye channels for different weights and that the hero panels are designed for each slot fitting a specific armor weight.

If heavy armor chest pieces end at the waist and medium armor chest pieces end at the ankles then how is the engine going to handle a piece that ends at the ankles being put into a slot made for a piece that ends at the waist? If the placement of dye channels are not the same across weights then how is the engine going to handle a piece with medium type dye channels being put into a slot made for heavy or light dye channels. If the dye channels of a slot are made for X placement of dye channels how can it dye an item with Y or Z placement of dye channels? How will it do this without causing numerous bugs?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Frediosz.2718

Frediosz.2718

There is nothing like engineer with a bloody flamenwerfer and somekind of polyester trenchcoat…

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

It’s not just clipping. It’s the incompatibility between the placement of dye channels for different weights and that the hero panels are designed for each slot fitting a specific armor weight.

If heavy armor chest pieces end at the waist and medium armor chest pieces end at the ankles then how is the engine going to handle a piece that ends at the ankles being put into a slot made for a piece that ends at the waist? If the placement of dye channels are not the same across weights then how is the engine going to handle a piece with medium type dye channels being put into a slot made for heavy or light dye channels. If the dye channels of a slot are made for X placement of dye channels how can it dye an item with Y or Z placement of dye channels? How will it do this without causing numerous bugs?

well for one, none of that is what i would call a bug. two, all of that is a matter of visual preference and if you don’t like how mixing heavy with light armor meshes together then don’t do it. But that does not change that fact that even just putting ALL light armor skins on top of ALL heavy armor would be a really nice change that would allow players for more customization without having to completely overhaul all the current skin models. And three, the “dye channels” are connected to the skins not what the skin is transmuted onto so I have no idea why that is relevant at all. there’s plenty of medium skins that end at the waist as well as ones that go to the ankle and their dyes don’t seem to be having any kind of issue.

There is no perfect way to accomplish what the OP wants. But just copying all the skins to the other weights would be a relatively simple way to at least add some extra customization close to what many players are asking for. Some pieces will work together, some wont. But it’s the same story with the current setup anyways.

Just a flesh wound.3589

well for one, none of that is what i would call a bug. two, all of that is a matter of visual preference and if you don’t like how mixing heavy with light armor meshes together then don’t do it. But that does not change that fact that even just putting ALL light armor skins on top of ALL heavy armor would be a really nice change that would allow players for more customization without having to completely overhaul all the current skin models. And three, the “dye channels” are connected to the skins not what the skin is transmuted onto so I have no idea why that is relevant at all. there’s plenty of medium skins that end at the waist as well as ones that go to the ankle and their dyes don’t seem to be having any kind of issue.

There is no perfect way to accomplish what the OP wants. But just copying all the skins to the other weights would be a relatively simple way to at least add some extra customization close to what many players are asking for. Some pieces will work together, some wont. But it’s the same story with the current setup anyways.

Source
Curtis Johnson
(snip) When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. (snip)

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: baylock.1703

baylock.1703

Or we could let all classes wear all armors whit penaltys like heavy full set reduces endurance regeneration 50% medium ceeps it current and light increases 50% or make it 50/25/0

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Source
Curtis Johnson
(snip) When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. (snip)

alright then i have no idea what dye channels could possibly mean. But thats not very clear about whether that prevents all light on top of all heavy or if it prevents mixing weights.

Just a flesh wound.3589

alright then i have no idea what dye channels could possibly mean. But thats not very clear about whether that prevents all light on top of all heavy or if it prevents mixing weights.

I would absolutely love them to make a post detailing what exactly are the problems so I could copy the post for future reference. From comments made over the years though, (from my memory) dye channels are a problem because the number of dye channels don’t match on all pieces across all weights. Putting a piece made with X dye channels into a slot with Y dye channels attached to it seems to be a problem. If there’s a conflict about numbers of dye channels and where exactly on the pieces the dye channels dye, then trying to mix the two will cause bugs.

I have no idea why that is relevant at all. there’s plenty of medium skins that end at the waist as well as ones that go to the ankle and their dyes don’t seem to be having any kind of issue.

What I remember reading from a long ago comment is the medium skins that end at the waist don’t actually end at the waist. They still end at the ankles (or extend partway down) but the part from the waist down is invisible. I guess they still dye but since they’re invisible it doesn’t show.

ANet may give it to you.

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

I would absolutely love them to make a post detailing what exactly are the problems so I could copy the post for future reference. From comments made over the years though, (from my memory) dye channels are a problem because the number of dye channels don’t match on all pieces across all weights. Putting a piece made with X dye channels into a slot with Y dye channels attached to it seems to be a problem. If there’s a conflict about numbers of dye channels and where exactly on the pieces the dye channels dye, then trying to mix the two will cause bugs.

I have no idea why that is relevant at all. there’s plenty of medium skins that end at the waist as well as ones that go to the ankle and their dyes don’t seem to be having any kind of issue.

What I remember reading from a long ago comment is the medium skins that end at the waist don’t actually end at the waist. They still end at the ankles (or extend partway down) but the part from the waist down is invisible. I guess they still dye but since they’re invisible it doesn’t show.

im not really sure (not saying it doesnt) how that would actually effect anything. all the dyes are by piece, so one piece allows 3 another 4. if it was tied to the piece underneath then your chest would always be 2 colors if thats what the original piece was. so if its the surface skin that’s being colored i dont see how having a light armor that goes to the waist on top of medium that goes to the ankle would matter at all.

edit: i read the source back to curtis and i THINK they might mean that town clothes could not be mixed with combat armor(im not very familiar with town clothes)? but even if mixing and matching combat weights wont work all light instead of all heavy would be a huge customization upgrade

(edited by Frenchtoastersticks.8061)

Just a flesh wound.3589

im not really sure (not saying it doesnt) how that would actually effect anything. all the dyes are by piece, so one piece allows 3 another 4. if it was tied to the piece underneath then your chest would always be 2 colors if thats what the original piece was. so if its the surface skin that’s being colored i dont see how having a light armor that goes to the waist on top of medium that goes to the ankle would matter at all.

edit: i read the source back to curtis and i THINK they might mean that town clothes could not be mixed with combat armor(im not very familiar with town clothes)? but even if mixing and matching combat weights wont work all light instead of all heavy would be a huge customization upgrade

No, they’re not talking about mixing town clothes with combat armor in the part where I had highlighted.

there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes

If someone tells me that things are fundamentally incompatible I don’t read that as some clipping might occur or that they could do it with a bit of work. To me “fundamentally incompatible” means there are serious problems and it would require more work to convert over than it’s worth. Since dev hours are limited, the hundreds or thousands of dev hours needed would come at the price of a content drought and/or a delayed expansion. I’d rather them work on new content and the next expansion rather than having a content drought because they decided to revamp the whole wardrobe, every armor in it and the Hero Panel.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

The reason why you cannot preview different weight pieces of armors on a single character at the same time is due to the fundamental incompatibilities. I agree with that – it is NOT worth the effort of trying to make a light chest piece work with a heavy pair of pants – the skeletal frame of the two armor weights are too fundamentally different, and it just won’t work – it’s not a case of “looking a bit odd” – at best it would look like a tumor of cloth or metal, at worst weird clipping and black holes of textures and – just – please let me stop thinking about this. It’s not an option.

That said – while I would certainly personally love armor proliferation – let a thief wear FULL light armor (no mixing), and it would be many hundreds of times simpler to do than trying to fix everything – I cannot fathom the UI/UX hot mess that it would require and would be experienced when someone tries to change a single skin around from their base weight class to a different one. “All piece of armor must be of the same weight class” errors galore, icons next to equipped skins to indicate their weight class, or selecting the weight class at the top before reskinning all pieces of equipment. Cats and dogs living together – anarchy!

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

No, they’re not talking about mixing town clothes with combat armor in the part where I had highlighted.

there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes

If someone tells me that things are fundamentally incompatible I don’t read that as some clipping might occur or that they could do it with a bit of work. To me “fundamentally incompatible” means there are serious problems and it would require more work to convert over than it’s worth. Since dev hours are limited, the hundreds or thousands of dev hours needed would come at the price of a content drought and/or a delayed expansion. I’d rather them work on new content and the next expansion rather than having a content drought because they decided to revamp the whole wardrobe, every armor in it and the Hero Panel.

in that post you linked they refer to town clothes as being an extra weight class, which is why it sounds like that to me

and incompatability mixing classes still doesnt mean to me that they cant do all light or all medium or all heavy regardless of the gear class on the character.

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

The reason why you cannot preview different weight pieces of armors on a single character at the same time is due to the fundamental incompatibilities. I agree with that – it is NOT worth the effort of trying to make a light chest piece work with a heavy pair of pants – the skeletal frame of the two armor weights are too fundamentally different, and it just won’t work – it’s not a case of “looking a bit odd” – at best it would look like a tumor of cloth or metal, at worst weird clipping and black holes of textures and – just – please let me stop thinking about this. It’s not an option.

That said – while I would certainly personally love armor proliferation – let a thief wear FULL light armor (no mixing), and it would be many hundreds of times simpler to do than trying to fix everything – I cannot fathom the UI/UX hot mess that it would require and would be experienced when someone tries to change a single skin around from their base weight class to a different one. “All piece of armor must be of the same weight class” errors galore, icons next to equipped skins to indicate their weight class, or selecting the weight class at the top before reskinning all pieces of equipment. Cats and dogs living together – anarchy!

i saw another suggestion recently on saving armor sets. if both were implemented together you could just have a set of each made up and choose between them same as you choose between the current outfits and normal armor maybe. that would at least avoid the ui from having to handle someone trying to change a single piece