Super Adventure Box Permanancy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: linkgannon.6275

linkgannon.6275

As the same as last time, it is incredibly sad to see the Super Adventure Box go. After it’s initial release (a couple of years back I think), it seemed that the Super Adventure Box was a big hit. Many were sad to see it go, as it was an incredibly fun part of the game, and as time passed, even new players that came into the game and saw YouTube videos of it, wished for the Super Adventure Box to return once again. ANet has always been great at identifying player needs, and meeting them, and this was no exception; ANet brought back the Super Adventure Box to the world of Tyria! Sadly though, as this month comes to a draw, the Super Adventure Box has once again left us. I am sad to see it go once again, and I KNOW that I’m not the only one that feels this way. So my suggestion: why not keep the Super Adventure Box around as a permanent feature?

The first thing that I think that’s important to realize is that the Super Adventure Box is not like many of the other events that we have seen in Guild Wars 2. Most short term events in Guild Wars 2 involve a small story around mechanics that are already a part of the core game (fight some monsters, win a race, etc.). Once in a while though, ANET develops some “one-of-a-kind” content that is a totally new and original piece of game play; something that the players truly enjoy. ANET typically tries to then add this mechanic to the game. Take the Aspects found in Dry Top for instance. The Aspects were a very new, fun part of the Festival of the Four Winds. They added new game play that players really did enjoy. ANet’s next move was a smart one; they incorporated aspects in the main game play through Dry Top. Similarly, I feel that the Super Adventure Box brought something very unique to the table. Out of the 1,700 hours that I have put into this game, I feel that the Super Adventure Box is a nice relaxing break from the immersion. Typically when I start getting tired of Guild Wars for the night, I begin browsing my Steam library for a game that is a bit less intense that I can unwind on. The Super Adventure Box brought that to the table. If I wanted something a bit more challenging, I could play the Super Adventure Box on Tribulation mode, which is a lot of fun to me. Correction: was a lot of fun to me. Now it is gone though once again.

With the updates that were made, I feel that it was plenty sustainable. Sure it may need occasional maintenance, but what part of any game doesn’t? I guess my real point here is why take away something that the players really love? As I said earlier, I know that I’m not the only one that feels this way, which is why I want to push for the Super Adventure Box to become a permanent feature of Guild Wars 2. As a previous guild leader, I understand that this game is all about the community and keeping the players happy. This would be an easy way for you to do that ANet! I don’t know; maybe I just sound like some whiny brat who wants his mini-game back. I truly feel though that this is something that the community wants, and I really do care about this game. Through Guild Wars 2, I have met many people, and many friends. I’ve played many games, MMOs in particular, but wheather it be WOW, DDO, or LoL, I can undoubtedly and wholeheartedly say that I have never found a community in a game as great as the one in Guild Wars 2. I just want to continue to see that community flourish and be happy as I’m sure you do too, ANet.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I 100% agree with this!
I brought new players into GW2 and they loved SAB!
They all thought it was permanent and unique but sadly I told them later it’s going away till next year or so… It’s so sad to see it go again. I wish it was permanent so we could play it whenever we wanted to as a fun break from the main game.

Posted by: Infomanic.1723

Infomanic.1723

I most certainly agree! This piece of art should always be publicly accessible and playable!

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

I agree, however, I can also see the value of it being recurring temporary content.

This subject has pretty much been talked about each time SAB comes and goes, a certain demographic (me included) desires a permanent or at least more frequent access to the box, but alas the powers that be decided that they get better RoI this way.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

What can possibly be original in a rehash of an ancient 8 bit game?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I have to offer a different opinion on this…

I love SAB as much as the next person. I really do.
But by the end of this April Fools Festival, I was getting rather bored of it. Making it an annual event keeps it special and helps give you something to look forward to.

I’d say the exact same thing for any annual event… Take Halloween, for example. I /adore/ that time of year in Tyria (and in RL too) but I would seriously get bored of seeing Mad King Thorn walk around LA all year round.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

DreamyAbaddon.3265

But by the end of this April Fools Festival, I was getting rather bored of it. Making it an annual event keeps it special and helps give you something to look forward to.

I’d say the exact same thing for any annual event… Take Halloween, for example. I /adore/ that time of year in Tyria (and in RL too) but I would seriously get bored of seeing Mad King Thorn walk around LA all year round.

If you’re getting bored of it then do something else in the game. Oh but it’s going to leave soon so you’re forced to enjoy it as much as possible before it’s gone for another year or maybe it wont even return forever! Who knows! But making this an annual event isn’t the solution. If it was permanent then if you got bored of it you could leave it and do something else in GW2 and then go back when you’re in the mood to play it. By making it temperarly means you’re kinda forced to play it only because it will leave and wont come back for a really long time so enjoying it at first but later becomes a chore since you wanna do it fast as possible with little time left to get the rewards instead of taking your time enjoying the content itself.

Look, lets use PvP for an example. Imagine ArenaNet make PvP a temperarly content… How kittened off would PvPers would be? What about WvW… Imagine that fanbase would feel.. Taking away content doesnt make it more fun when it returns, it makes it sad for players who want to play that content since it cannot be accessible when they feel like playing it. End of story.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

+1 you have my vote!

My internet died on 29th march.. Still no internet. Missed whole of SAB boo hoo for me. I really wish it was permanent content.

ShinjoNaomi.1896

If you’re getting bored of it then do something else in the game. Oh but it’s going to leave soon so you’re forced to enjoy it as much as possible before it’s gone for another year or maybe it wont even return forever! Who knows! But making this an annual event isn’t the solution. If it was permanent then if you got bored of it you could leave it and do something else in GW2 and then go back when you’re in the mood to play it. By making it temperarly means you’re kinda forced to play it only because it will leave and wont come back for a really long time so enjoying it at first but later becomes a chore since you wanna do it fast as possible with little time left to get the rewards instead of taking your time enjoying the content itself.

Look, lets use PvP for an example. Imagine ArenaNet make PvP a temperarly content… How kittened off would PvPers would be? What about WvW… Imagine that fanbase would feel.. Taking away content doesnt make it more fun when it returns, it makes it sad for players who want to play that content since it cannot be accessible when they feel like playing it. End of story.

Boy… Angry much at a different opinion? :p
No, not end of story… SAB is coming back. It’s an annual thing and like all annual things, it’s good for a while to play, and then gets boring as hell… Kinda like listening to the one-sided ‘conversations’ here in these flippin forums…

I can already see what kind of conversation this is going to be, so I’m not even going to bother… Peace out… Or in your case, stay angry…

I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Yup, sad to see Sab go. I never got to tribulation mode. I tried it, but quickly realized I would need many days and possibly weeks to get through it. I didn’t want to start it without being able to finish. Going to miss it for a year.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

What can possibly be original in a rehash of an ancient 8 bit game?

SAB is not a rehash of an ancient 8-bit game. It is not even technically 8-bit in style, it uses 8-bit like textures on a modern 3D geometry. Yes said geometry is roughly sculpted that make parts of it appear almost voxel like, however, the art style of SAB is in fact actually pretty unique.

As is all the content and mechanics, it is an homage to old games… that doesn’t mean it isn’t original. Compared to the myriad of other games inspired by retro platformers SAB is in fact the more original of the bunch. It is close to n64, in that it uses simple 3D environments, but it combines that with assets reminiscent of 8-bit style sprites.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

No, not end of story… SAB is coming back. It’s an annual thing and like all annual things, it’s good for a while to play, and then gets boring as hell… Kinda like listening to the one-sided ‘conversations’ here in these flippin forums…

I can already see what kind of conversation this is going to be, so I’m not even going to bother… Peace out… Or in your case, stay angry…

Yes, of course I’m angry because of people like you who think it’s okay to take away content others enjoy playing in their own time. If you get bored then fine, stop playing it. But don’t advocate for it to be removed because YOU are bored of it when others are clearly enjoying it. Your opinion is selfish since it promotes the idea of stopping others from enjoying content you dont enjoy; because you got bored…
If SAB was permanent you can still stop playing it… and others like me can still enjoy playing it when we want. It’s a win-win… You’re promoting a win-Lose scenario by saying it’s better as an annual thing… I cant play SAB right now because I have to wait till next year… It’s terrible!!! =( SAB needs to be permanent addition to the game.

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

No. This discussion has been around since SAB was introduced and I am still of the same opinion: SAB will only be special if it is annual and not permanent. It loses its magic, it loses its charm. To some sooner than to others but if it is permanent eventually EVERYONE will get tired of it and it will just be forgotten. No. SAB is worth the wait and excitement for it to come around again. Just like other annual events like Halloween, Winter’s Day etc.

And before you say “Oh then you must have finished everything in one go and not care anymore!”: No. I didn’t finish everything last time SAB was around. And I still didn’t finish everything this time around! Yet I am still glad it’s gone and I can look forward to it again next year.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

No. This discussion has been around since SAB was introduced and I am still of the same opinion: SAB will only be special if it is annual and not permanent. It loses its magic, it loses its charm. To some sooner than to others but if it is permanent eventually EVERYONE will get tired of it and it will just be forgotten. No. SAB is worth the wait and excitement for it to come around again. Just like other annual events like Halloween, Winter’s Day etc.

And before you say “Oh then you must have finished everything in one go and not care anymore!”: No. I didn’t finish everything last time SAB was around. And I still didn’t finish everything this time around! Yet I am still glad it’s gone and I can look forward to it again next year.

Again just because your bored of it doesn’t mean others are.
Also new players who join GW2 miss out if it’s always temporarily.
If it’s more enjoyable if it becomes annual then lets make WvW events annual too!
Hell lets make PvP annual and only available during the PvP seasons!
SAB is it’s own game mode. So if that game mode gets treated that way I dont see why other game modes dont get to suffer the same consequences. It makes no sense to call it a festival. I prefer they add new SAB content every April, but keep it permanent so every year you have new Worlds to look forward to, but dont take it away when others enjoy playing it or are just getting into it because YOU are bored. It’s a win-win making it permanent and a lose-win keeping it temporarily.

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

Again just because your bored of it doesn’t mean others are.
Also new players who join GW2 miss out if it’s always temporarily.
If it’s more enjoyable if it becomes annual then lets make WvW events annual too!
Hell lets make PvP annual and only available during the PvP seasons!
SAB is it’s own game mode. So if that game mode gets treated that way I dont see why other game modes dont get to suffer the same consequences. It makes no sense to call it a festival. I prefer they add new SAB content every April, but keep it permanent so every year you have new Worlds to look forward to, but dont take it away when others enjoy playing it or are just getting into it because YOU are bored. It’s a win-win making it permanent and a lose-win keeping it temporarily.

Please stop putting words in my mouth. I respect that you want it to be permanent. I understand many people feel this way. But I am entitled to my own opinion. Nobody misses out on ANYTHING with SAB. You don’t get it right away but you will when it comes back. Everything that you could get with the 1st SAB you could get this time around. And I am certain it will stay that way. So no, nobody misses out. That’s simply false.

And your comparisons don’t make any sense. SAB has ALWAYS been a festival thing like any other special event in GW2. Never been a game mode. Ever. WvW, dungeons, everything else that’s permanent always has been permanent and an integral part of the game. You cannot compare these things seriously.

And finally: No. It’s not a win-win if it becomes permanent. It loses it’s special feel when it becomes permanent. You deny this now but only because it isn’t permanent which actually really just confirms my point. If SAB was permanent in 2 years it would not feel special to anyone anymore. That’s a fact even if you keep denying it.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s not about being bored altho people were getting bored of it towards the end.
It’s part of the events package that is run and so will not be made permanent any more than they’d make Wintersday all year round.
Events help drive the economy, sorry you can’t see this.
Finally the devs said SAB is flaky and they had to suspend patching the main game whilst it was running. From that technical point purely this could not be permanent content and even if they resolved that, it’s still an event that happens on a cycle as part of the games calendar.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

It’s great if SAB is available every year for 2.5 weeks. There’s no need for it to be here all year around.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

This is hardly limited to SAB, just about every event is fun to the point where you want to keep it.. but then it also stops being something special.

I loved the mad king’s labyrinth, found it very fun to run around there getting candy corn and such, but the apepal and playerbase for it will dry up once the novelty of it wears off.

With that in mind I’d rather keep SAB a temporary event, though it would be nice if they give a bit more of a clue of when it will return, that tends to work a bit better then going ‘’Soon™ ’’

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

Posted by: EsarioTwo.9251

EsarioTwo.9251

Sharing my support here. Definitely agree.

Posted by: linkgannon.6275

linkgannon.6275

After reading everyone’s opinions, I can understand why some would wish not to keep it permanent, and these reasons are probably the same as ANet’s reasoning. However, at the same time, many players did not feel that they got enough time; one of which pointingredients out that they never even got a chance to really play tribulation mode, another due to Internet problems, etc. Though I do not claim to have deep knowledge over the sustainability of the player base, I’m willing to bet that most players are casual, and play Guild Wars 2 only in spurts. Players like these are likely to never have a chance at trying the Super Adventure Box.

So my suggestion: why not a compromise? Though it may not have endless content, I personally feel that the Super Adventure Box has more “meat” to it then many of the other holiday events. I feel that by either increasing the frequency of the Super Adventure Box event, we get the best of both worlds. It still remains special because of the lack of presence, it would give hard core players more of a chance at completing the many different things within it, and it would give casual players a higher chance to play during a time when it is actually going on. I mean, let’s face it; the Super Adventure Box is not a holiday. It doesn’t have the same time restrictions that Wintersday or Halloween have. This is what would make the higher frequency idea feasible. Maybe once every have a 3 month interval then put it out for a month: rinse and repeat. That way we’d get it 3 times per year, while on that same token, it still remains special.

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Yes, of course I’m angry because of people like you who think it’s okay to take away content others enjoy playing in their own time. If you get bored then fine, stop playing it. But don’t advocate for it to be removed because YOU are bored of it when others are clearly enjoying it. Your opinion is selfish since it promotes the idea of stopping others from enjoying content you dont enjoy; because you got bored…
If SAB was permanent you can still stop playing it… and others like me can still enjoy playing it when we want. It’s a win-win… You’re promoting a win-Lose scenario by saying it’s better as an annual thing… I cant play SAB right now because I have to wait till next year… It’s terrible!!! =( SAB needs to be permanent addition to the game.

I brought my opinion to the subject, you you came out swinging like I suggested that Anet kill your puppy.
You have, in one single post, exemplified the reason I have stayed off these forums for such a long time.
Think about that a minute… :P

I still say that SAB staying an Annual Event is just fine. It’s a holiday event that celebrates April Fools, just like Halloween and Wintersday.
Keep it as such and give us a reason to look forward to it rather then burn out on it.

Others have explained why keeping it temporary is not a bad thing, and I’ll let their opinions stand rather then waste my proverbial breath in this subject anymore with someone who clearly can’t stand the fact that someone might have an opposing view…

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I seriously doubt this will happen. Perhaps if you try for twice a year, you’ll have better success. You may have not finished all there is in SAB, like me, but I bet some have.
I suspect they, and I know I, would like to see some minor changes in structure and rewards before it comes around again, like we have seen in the past. They really need to remove the selling of the rewards. Buy to win should have no place here.
It shouldn’t be that difficult to make changes, add fun stuff, and bring it around again in 6 months or so, IF it is as popular as we believe it is.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

for the love of moto, please release sab for a longer period of time the next time around. would be much much appreciated.

i leave with you irrefutable proof of the glory of my argument.

Attachments:

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE