Super Gear Grind?

Super Gear Grind?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’m confused… I used to play Everquest, and that was a grind. In fact, pretty much all of the game play I can remember in EQ was grinding, aside from the quest here and there.

I’ve also played Aion. That was a super grind for gear. I have 400 hours on it on steam from a year or 2 just to get a full set of level 30 armor when the max level was 50 or something like that at the time.

GW 2? I haven’t noticed any grind. In fact, I’d say it’s the least grindy MMO I’ve ever played in my life. The worst grinding I’ve experienced is dungeons to get exotic gear from there… which is just as good stat-wise as bought gear for relatively cheap so meh.

again, people just don’t care if any other game was less or more grindy.
there souldn’t be any grind AT ALL, dungeon or skin or anything, according to advertising they sold the game with.
but, ok, let’s try to accept it.

but, BiS grind no. it’s totally out of gw2 goals.
don’t care if gw1 was grinding. or if other mmo need even more hours to get it.
just excuses for people who like it.

It staggering how wrong you are. It really is. What do you expect, instant level 80 and a gift locker with all the available armor in it for the choosing? Really?

Look, it’s really simple. You need time sinks in an MMO to keep people busy, give them more things to do. If everything can be completed instantly people will quickly grow bored once they’ve instantly done it all and be demanding more. Content consumption would be so much faster than content development that the game would simply die from boredom.

Now, you speak oddly of how they advertised the game. They’re actually living completely up to expectations, with no gear treadmill (the endless grind) out there causing us to toss our gear every couple months and grind fresh for a new set. Ascended gear taking time to get is not the type of ‘grind’ that was being referred to. It was the required archaic treadmill concept that is the bane of far too many games these days. You’re no longer forced onto the gear grind treadmill. If you want to get ascended gear, great! Go for it! If not, no content will be cut off from you for choosing not to do so.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m confused… I used to play Everquest, and that was a grind. In fact, pretty much all of the game play I can remember in EQ was grinding, aside from the quest here and there.

I’ve also played Aion. That was a super grind for gear. I have 400 hours on it on steam from a year or 2 just to get a full set of level 30 armor when the max level was 50 or something like that at the time.

GW 2? I haven’t noticed any grind. In fact, I’d say it’s the least grindy MMO I’ve ever played in my life. The worst grinding I’ve experienced is dungeons to get exotic gear from there… which is just as good stat-wise as bought gear for relatively cheap so meh.

there souldn’t be any grind AT ALL, dungeon or skin or anything, according to advertising they sold the game with.

It staggering how wrong you are. It really is. What do you expect, instant level 80 and a gift locker with all the available armor in it for the choosing? Really?

Look, it’s really simple. You need time sinks in an MMO to keep people busy, give them more things to do. If everything can be completed instantly people will quickly grow bored once they’ve instantly done it all and be demanding more. Content consumption would be so much faster than content development that the game would simply die from boredom.

Now, you speak oddly of how they advertised the game. They’re actually living completely up to expectations, with no gear treadmill (the endless grind) out there causing us to toss our gear every couple months and grind fresh for a new set. Ascended gear taking time to get is not the type of ‘grind’ that was being referred to. It was the required archaic treadmill concept that is the bane of far too many games these days. You’re no longer forced onto the gear grind treadmill. If you want to get ascended gear, great! Go for it! If not, no content will be cut off from you for choosing not to do so.

well you know, except for the content that is cut off like high level fractals… exactly like how you only need top level raid gear in WoW for top level raids…

Also how can you possibly say "They’re actually living completely up to expectations, with no gear treadmill (the endless grind) out there causing us to toss our gear every couple months and grind fresh for a new set. "

When this is exactly what they have done… they have released higher stat gear every 3 months since the launch of the game. It isn’t an opinion, it is just truth.

Super Gear Grind?

VOLKON.1290

well you know, except for the content that is cut off like high level fractals… exactly like how you only need top level raid gear in WoW for top level raids…

Also how can you possibly say "They’re actually living completely up to expectations, with no gear treadmill (the endless grind) out there causing us to toss our gear every couple months and grind fresh for a new set. "

When this is exactly what they have done… they have released higher stat gear every 3 months since the launch of the game. It isn’t an opinion, it is just truth.

High level fractals are in no way comparable to WoW raids. In WoW (at the time I played at least) you were on an endless cycle of gear replacement, with each new expansion or raid released you were tossing your old gear away as you replaced it with a higher tier, provided of course you were lucky enough to have a piece drop that you needed, win the roll on the piece and then actually have the raid leader honor the roll and give you the gear. Fractals you’re using your existing ascended trinkets (which they go out of their way to make sure are accessible) and bumping them up with the AR. It’s relatively time-gated, definitely not gear-gated.

And no, they haven’t released higher stat gear every three months. They’ve phased in the ascended tier, not replaced it with higher stat gear. Ascended is the ceiling and they chose not to inundate everyone with the all at once implementation of it.

So the facts remain. There is no endless grind gear treadmill in GW2, as promised. You are not forced to grind for the next set of gear in order to gain access to the next level of content.

It isn’t an opinion, it is just truth.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I think you’re seeing this incorrectly. if you get no ascended gear you’re not being cut off from any content. higher level fractals dont provide any content that is not available at lower level, content wise they’re the same so claiming without ascended gear you’re being cut off is incorrect. Fractals is a vertical progression system. You’re supposed to invest time and energy to get better gear to get better rewards. If you dont like that sort of thing then dont take part in it. Play till the level your current gear allows.

They didnt toss out higher stat gear every 3 months. They tossed out slots of the same tier gear every 3 months. Big difference there. new set every 3 months would mean we’d get a new set to grind towards in march. New slot every 3 months means we dont. New tier every 3 months would mean that now we got 4 tiers of power against old content which would mean everything gets one shotted, new slot does not. new tier every 3 months means if you dont keep up in WvW you’ll find yourself at a substantial disadvantage new slot each month does not. New slot every 3 months means new content would be impossible for people who still have exotic or just way too easy for people who have the latest tier. New slot every 3 months does not.

They’re not the same thing by far.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

The main difference is that everybody can get ascended gear (from causal to hardcore) and that you can do it solo (vs raiding). Technically all they have done is added in one new tier of gear and gated it. The disturbing part is that Anet went back on it’s word. This isn’t the grind focused gear grind nor is it a necessary one as the stat increase is minimal and the effect will only truly be felt in fractals. Truth is the part that seems to be the big issue is the promise that their would be nearly no gear grind and the fact we can’t get ascended gear through any means other than crafting or rare drops.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

. Truth is the part that seems to be the big issue is the promise that their would be nearly no gear grind and the fact we can’t get ascended gear through any means other than crafting or rare drops.

yeah. it’s a matter of truth and betrayal. and it passes through the new BiS and the grindy ways to acquire it.

about me (and me only): if anet creates more ways to obtain ascended and not only craft and actual stuff, i could forgive it and reinstall the game.
however: even a single peace of equip with a single more point in power prec etc would be the final high treason.

The main difference is that everybody can get ascended gear (from causal to hardcore) and that you can do it solo (vs raiding). Technically all they have done is added in one new tier of gear and gated it. The disturbing part is that Anet went back on it’s word. This isn’t the grind focused gear grind nor is it a necessary one as the stat increase is minimal and the effect will only truly be felt in fractals

necessary or not, it is the new BiS. and even if it just “cuts off” from casual player the high level fractal, it is a limitation to us.
even that little increase in stats.
and didn’t keep the word.
simple and brutal.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

Everybody for whom ascended is not a grind. Help me get full ascended for all my 8 alts, you are having fun grinding anyway.
Or give me yours, you don’t need it anyway as you are such a good players that can constantly dodge everything in white gear.

I can’t even imagine having a full set of top gear on 8 alts in any other mmorpg.

Maybe that’s why wow players joke about GW2’s endgame being making alt.

Ok, ANET can make any endgame they want. I gave up on this (though I knew what to do in game before ascended patch). But the problem is that I paid real money for character slot expansion. It was awesome before the patch. I was able to have 8 alts with BiS gear and enjoy the game using any class.
Now they break they manifesto and make all my alts useless. I’d say the product now is not as it was advertised and I lost money for nothing. If they are doing this I’d prefer to have money back solution and I’ll leave this game forever.
I’m not asking money paid for the game itself – I enjoyed it until recent changes. But there is no reason to have alts now if you don’t want to spend the whole life grinding. The most frustrating is a time spend to level up alts and make full map completion for them. The only way to use them now – park at JP and get daily loot (which is crap anyway).
And please, no stupid comments about “you don’t need ascended”. Really tired of it.

Super Gear Grind?

VOLKON.1290

Everybody for whom ascended is not a grind. Help me get full ascended for all my 8 alts, you are having fun grinding anyway.
Or give me yours, you don’t need it anyway as you are such a good players that can constantly dodge everything in white gear.

I can’t even imagine having a full set of top gear on 8 alts in any other mmorpg.

Maybe that’s why wow players joke about GW2’s endgame being making alt.

Ok, ANET can make any endgame they want. I gave up on this (though I knew what to do in game before ascended patch). But the problem is that I paid real money for character slot expansion. It was awesome before the patch. I was able to have 8 alts with BiS gear and enjoy the game using any class.
Now they break they manifesto and make all my alts useless. I’d say the product now is not as it was advertised and I lost money for nothing. If they are doing this I’d prefer to have money back solution and I’ll leave this game forever.
I’m not asking money paid for the game itself – I enjoyed it until recent changes. But there is no reason to have alts now if you don’t want to spend the whole life grinding. The most frustrating is a time spend to level up alts and make full map completion for them. The only way to use them now – park at JP and get daily loot (which is crap anyway).
And please, no stupid comments about “you don’t need ascended”. Really tired of it.

Reality check. Not one of your alts became useless with the addition of ascended gear. It doesn’t matter if you’re tired of hearing that “you don’t need ascended”. Facts are, whether they support your argument or not.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, I have to ask, what is it that you now cannot do on your alts because they do not have ascended?

Are you suddenly locked out of spvp?
Are you no longer able to access wvw?
Is there an armor rated area of pve that you now locked out of?
Can you no longer do the fractals that you were doing previously?

Please explain what exactly it is that you can ‘no longer do’ that makes your alts ‘useless.’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Reality check. Not one of your alts became useless with the addition of ascended gear. It doesn’t matter if you’re tired of hearing that “you don’t need ascended”. Facts are, whether they support your argument or not.

Reality check. One of the definitions of need is “a lack of something wanted or deemed necessary.” That version comes from Dictionary.com, if you care to verify. Notice the word “or.” So, talk all you want about minimal stat increase, you don’t get to decide what someone else “needs.” That’s the fact behind the “need-don’t need discussion.”

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think the difference is GW2 advertise itself as this “non grindy game”.

The other mmorpg never advertise it that way.

Not to mention many former GW1 player bought GW2 because they thought there were be any power creep. Apparently there are at least some.

I don’t think that many people will be outrageous if this is another game forum. It’s just so they believed Anet won’t ever release any new tier which apparently they did.

Super Gear Grind?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Reality check. One of the definitions of need is “a lack of something wanted or deemed necessary.” That version comes from Dictionary.com, if you care to verify. Notice the word “or.” So, talk all you want about minimal stat increase, you don’t get to decide what someone else “needs.” That’s the fact behind the “need-don’t need discussion.”

There is a distinct difference between a ‘want’ and a ‘need’ though.

You ‘need’ armor to player the game (theoretically); however that armor does not ‘need’ to be ascended. The game can be effectively played in rares all the way through. You ‘want’ ascended gear because it will make it easier and faster, but you do not ‘need’ it.

You ‘need’ agony resistance after lvl 10 in fractals; however you do not ‘need’ anything more than the trinkets presently provide. You ‘want’ what the additional pieces provide, but you do not ‘need’ them.

Its a very basic concept that parents used to teach their children. You ‘need’ clothes, you ‘want’ them to be a specific brand. But the reality is that brand ‘x’ works just as effectively as brand ‘y,’ but doesn’t cost as much.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Sure. But these aren’t particularly fun time sinks.

Super Gear Grind?

IndigoSundown.5419

There is a distinct difference between a ‘want’ and a ‘need’ though.

You ‘need’ armor to player the game (theoretically); however that armor does not ‘need’ to be ascended. The game can be effectively played in rares all the way through. You ‘want’ ascended gear because it will make it easier and faster, but you do not ‘need’ it.

You ‘need’ agony resistance after lvl 10 in fractals; however you do not ‘need’ anything more than the trinkets presently provide. You ‘want’ what the additional pieces provide, but you do not ‘need’ them.

Its a very basic concept that parents used to teach their children. You ‘need’ clothes, you ‘want’ them to be a specific brand. But the reality is that brand ‘x’ works just as effectively as brand ‘y,’ but doesn’t cost as much.

Except that the argument about Ascended has never been about need in the “You’ll die if you don’t breathe air” sense. Posters using the term “need” when complaining about Ascended may in fact be using the term incorrectly. So what? The “defenders” are arguing the use of the term as a weapon to try to disenfranchise the complaints when the truth of the matter is that the complainers want the items enough for it to constitute a “need.”

Essentially, the defenders are barking up the wrong tree because they’re addressing the wrong issue. That’s why these arguments never get anywhere — except maybe for some people patting themselves on the back because they pointed out that someone was “wrong on the internet.” Sure, some of the complainers could be more accurate in their choice of terms, but so could some of the defenders.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Anyone else struck by the irony of wanting something so that you can play the game unless you need to play the game in order to get it?

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Super Gear Grind?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Except that the argument about Ascended has never been about need in the “You’ll die if you don’t breathe air” sense. Posters using the term “need” when complaining about Ascended may in fact be using the term incorrectly. So what? The “defenders” are arguing the use of the term as a weapon to try to disenfranchise the complaints when the truth of the matter is that the complainers want the items enough for it to constitute a “need.”

Essentially, the defenders are barking up the wrong tree because they’re addressing the wrong issue. That’s why these arguments never get anywhere — except maybe for some people patting themselves on the back because they pointed out that someone was “wrong on the internet.” Sure, some of the complainers could be more accurate in their choice of terms, but so could some of the defenders.

Its easier to argue when clear and concise terminology is used. Its the misuse the tends to lead to the misunderstands in the arguments, or barking up the wrong tree as you put it.

Unfortunately the whole issue does boil down to how we as players have been conditioned. Some people can shake it off, others can’t.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So, I have to ask, what is it that you now cannot do on your alts because they do not have ascended?

The question was not directed at me, but my answer is..

“..enjoy playing them.”

Now, you speak oddly of how they advertised the game. They’re actually living completely up to expectations

Such as the advertised, “max gear by level 80,” expectation ?

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Super Gear Grind?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“..enjoy playing them.”

Then however did you enjoy playing them before you got them exotics? Before they were 80? And why bother if you didn’t?

How did you enjoy the game at all on any character, considering we’d known for over a year that ascended gear would eventually be implemented.

You must not enjoy games at all…. since in the majority of them, you’re continuously upgrading your armor….

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Super Gear Grind?

Ashen.2907

“..enjoy playing them.”

Then however did you enjoy playing them before you got them exotics? Before they were 80? And why bother if you didn’t?

My character had max gear for their level up until 80 when I purchased exotics. At that point I began pursuing specific cosmetic options and purchasing transmutation stones.

You must not enjoy games at all…. since in the majority of them, you’re continuously upgrading your armor….

You are incorrect. about what I enjoy. As to the majority of games…I do not play the majority of games. I am pretty certain that no one does (tens or hundreds of thousands of games and limited time). Then again this is a forum about GW2, not the majority of games.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I think the difference is GW2 advertise itself as this “non grindy game”.

The other mmorpg never advertise it that way.

Not to mention many former GW1 player bought GW2 because they thought there were be any power creep. Apparently there are at least some.

I don’t think that many people will be outrageous if this is another game forum. It’s just so they believed Anet won’t ever release any new tier which apparently they did.

Yup.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Super Gear Grind?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My character had max gear for their level up until 80 when I purchased exotics. At that point I began pursuing specific cosmetic options and purchasing transmutation stones.

So just don’t bother with the ascended hassle. Nothing about your game play is going to be affected if you don’t get it. You can still enjoy your cosmetic choices, and won’t need to worry acquiring more trans stones.

“Must have BiS gear” is a conditioned mentality, you can overcome it.

You are incorrect. about what I enjoy. As to the majority of games…I do not play the majority of games. I am pretty certain that no one does (tens or hundreds of thousands of games and limited time).

lol be snarky all you want, but there are many people who play every game they can get their hands on. Sure that doesn’t make a ‘literal’ majority of games, but the context was not intended to be taken in the precise literal sense of counting the millions of available games world wide dating back to the atari age (or even prior).

Then again this is a forum about GW2, not the majority of games.

Ran out of reasonable responses huh?

Super Gear Grind?

Kevan.8912

and why ? because of the authority of anet?
also people who asked for ascended could overcome thier desires.
they also had manifesto against them.

we’re customers just like you.
it’s our right to struggle for what we like.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Because it’s easier to just enjoy a game for what it is rather than focusing on what you don’t have? That’s a good reason, I’d say.

But hey, it’s not my problem until you tell me I’m an idiot for not chasing gear which doesn’t really DO much for me Or that it’s my fault for it existing.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Super Gear Grind?

Kevan.8912

no. it’s easier just to quit a game and start another, rather than to try to explain what do you expected from it (and of course anet knows what we all expected, as they stated it years ago).
anet should thank us for all the effort we put in this forum.

it’s not only your game. it a game for all of us who still try to “save” it.
if someone before in this forum asked for ascended (i don’t think anet listen to them. just decided it and did it without caring about the customers…..but let’s give t a try) , it’s our right to raise our voices and scream out what we need.
still, i think it’s all flaming…with no hope.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

no. it’s easier just to quit a game and start another, rather than to try to explain what do you expected from it (and of course anet knows what we all expected, as they stated it years ago).

Go for it, you bought the game you can leave the game. Everyone can.

Super Gear Grind?

Kevan.8912

already uninstalled.
just trying to make it worth to reinstall it.
but flaming is still fun, so here am I.
-and also just skipping threads we don’t like is a good solution.-

and it’s not only a problem for me, looking at the forum.
you’re just trying to convince other people that things are ok as they are, and they’re wrong to dislike some features.
typical of… a religion, politics or older philosophy.
or on the other hand, quite common nowadays.

just to point it out, i think that many casuals were perfectly ok at the beginning.
not anyone needs that powaaaaa endgame some new recruits want to find in gw2.
maybe, on the opposite, that it’s their “fault”, as they tried to make gw2 similar to other mmo they knew.
and anet tried to ensure economy luring them in.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: WRay.2391

WRay.2391

Are you suddenly locked out of spvp?
Are you no longer able to access wvw?
Is there an armor rated area of pve that you now locked out of?
Can you no longer do the fractals that you were doing previously?

Please explain what exactly it is that you can ‘no longer do’ that makes your alts ‘useless.’

The game was bought because “by lvl 80 you will have BiS gear easily” + build experimenting. I paid money for this. It’s not “change your attitude”. It’s what I bought and what was changed in the most boring way. Money back process please as product is not as was advertised.

I usually get BiS gear (which is a grind evil but with exotics it was easy enough) and than go for game aspects that are interesting + skins grind which doesn’t feel abusive cause I’m not suffering stat loss. For constant gear grind Diablo 3 is much better game as it was designed for this (and Blizzard finally understood that RMAH is bad and loot should be better which is also good).

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: portedGoblin.7413

portedGoblin.7413

Grinding is different for different people. If I like WvW and I get asc gear by doing WvW for months, then it is not a grind. But if I need to do crafting, PvE or some other thing for months. That would then be grinding.

The opposite is true also of course.

The solution to this seems pretty obvious to me. Have several ways to get the same gear. Dungeons, WvW, sPvP, crafting whatever.

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: shinobaruwrxsti.8425

shinobaruwrxsti.8425

I do not mind the grinding/gold required to obtain something with prestige, but it should not give individuals a statistical advantage over others, regardless of whether it’s 10% or even 5%.

On that note, my personal issue with the ascended tier besides the restricted method of acquirement is the increase in stats. That feeling of prestige/accomplishment through grinding (hardwork?) was already present before ascended’s implementation – in the form of Legendary Weapons, and crafting unique/rare exotic weapons. People who chose to pursue these weapons would still be on equal footing stats-wise with everybody else, but they would have prestige that would differentiate themselves from others, regardless of pve/pvp skill or build.

People who enjoy challenging gameplay won’t find it in the pursuit of ascended/legendary items anyway since obtaining them is either RNG or crafting based. Even if they are lucky/rich/dedicated enough to acquire them, the stat increase will just make the game less of a challenge, since one doesn’t even need exotic/rare/green/blue stats to access/complete most of what the game offers. If one is already a “better player” than another, wouldn’t they be able to defeat someone without the need for a stat advantage anyway? So why implement the increased stats other than to make an already “easy game” even easier?

(edited by shinobaruwrxsti.8425)

Super Gear Grind?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

already uninstalled.
just trying to make it worth to reinstall it.
but flaming is still fun, so here am I.
-and also just skipping threads we don’t like is a good solution.-

and it’s not only a problem for me, looking at the forum.
you’re just trying to convince other people that things are ok as they are, and they’re wrong to dislike some features.
typical of… a religion, politics or older philosophy.
or on the other hand, quite common nowadays.

. . . yeah, no.

It’s not that things are okay as they are. I’m not entirely happy with it either. On the other hand, I am free to stop playing at any time without paying another dollar (much as you have) if I decide I don’t have time for it, or I just don’t like something.

Frankly, I’ve done that a couple times. I’ll probably put the game down again at some point in the near future, knowing my life, and I won’t feel ANet did something wrong or betrayed my trust. I don’t have an incredible personal attachment to this game or the company.

I like it, and I’m happy to play it. It’s a good game and I have a blast when I have a few hours and a stable internet connection. How we get from there to “religion” . . . well, you’ll explain it to me, I’m sure.

Here’s the thing. It is absolutely fine to dislike some features and just skip them if you don’t like them. I don’t do sPvP. At all. The difference between you and I is simple – I don’t run around the forums saying sPvP needs to go every time someone brings it up.

I keep it very, very simple. If I don’t want to do something in the game, or I find it boring? I don’t do it. And I tell people if they don’t like doing something in the game, feel free to not do it. it’s the same with Ascended gear, ever since November 2012 when it was introduced. It’s unnecessary, it’s a potential grind with no real impact on your performance, and it’s almost a complete waste of your time.

(Unless, of course, you’re out of other things to do. There’s that. Also it’s “potential grind” because some people can get lucky enough to have it drop and circumvent the whole boring slog.)

Don’t like it, don’t do it. Don’t want to play anymore and feel there’s nothing good for you left here? You probably could find better things to do than just messing with people.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Super Gear Grind?

IndigoSundown.5419

also people who asked for ascended could overcome thier desires.
they also had manifesto against them.

we’re customers just like you.
it’s our right to struggle for what we like.

Bingo. The people whose cries brought Ascended on in the first place didn’t adapt to the game as it was. I guess that was alright because they “won.”

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

I NEED ascended for my WvW one man, roaming, 2 vs 2, duels, fights… I stopped playing WvW since the weapons came out because i don’t want to grind so much to be on equal stats than others. I enjoyed WvW because I could have the builds and clases how i liked and it was easy to get the best stat gear for it, with ascended that is no longer true.

And if 14% is meaningless, i suggest a way to find out, go to the spvp forums and post a thread about a new and cool idea for character progression, every spvp rank level will give you a minor boost to a stat till 14%. Since 14% is nothing and can be evaded and skill is what counts, i’m sure they will agree that it is a wonderfull idea.

Super Gear Grind?

Ashen.2907

So just don’t bother with the ascended hassle. Nothing about your game play is going to be affected if you don’t get it.

You are mistaken. My GW game-play without BiS, particularly at level cap, is not enjoyable. Fun is not, “nothing,” to me.

“Must have BiS gear” is a conditioned mentality.

Perhaps for others, certainly not for me.

lol be snarky all you want, but there are many people who play every game they can get their hands on. Sure that doesn’t make a ‘literal’ majority of games, but the context was not intended to be taken in the precise literal sense of counting the millions of available games world wide dating back to the atari age (or even prior).

We were discussing GW2 and you started referencing a majority of games as regards to my enjoyment. No snark intended on my part, I just did not see the point of referencing games I’ve never heard of let alone played while expressing an apparent belief that you have some insight into which I would and would not enjoy. That again seems irrelevant, to me. Whether or not I enjoy game X has no impact on whether or not I enjoy a given aspect of GW2.

Ran out of reasonable responses huh

The response was perfectly reasonable. I was commenting on very specific aspects of GW2, in response to comments and questions about GW2, on the official GW2 site. Unsolicited speculation as to whether or not I will enjoy unnamed games completely unconnected to GW2 seemed irrelevant to the discussion.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Shinoobi.1259

Shinoobi.1259

This thread is really petty. I don’t even know what I could contribute to this thread that would make any sense. I don’t have any ascended pieces other than trinkets on my characters, and I have never encountered a situation where I needed BiS gear to complete content. I don’t run fractals or dungeons. I just PvP and WvW. Would I eventually get enough from salvaging and drops to maybe make a piece of ascended gear? Probably. Do I need it? No.

So Butter So Fly – Mesmer
Bossy B – Elementalist
Pocket Rot- Necro

Super Gear Grind?

Kevan.8912

This thread is really petty. I don’t even know what I could contribute to this thread that would make any sense. I don’t have any ascended pieces other than trinkets on my characters, and I have never encountered a situation where I needed BiS gear to complete content. I don’t run fractals or dungeons. I just PvP and WvW. Would I eventually get enough from salvaging and drops to maybe make a piece of ascended gear? Probably. Do I need it? No.

ohoh…the you don’t need it" plague again

well.
a need is a personal feel.
don t even try to define what i need. it s my right.

and i need BiS. and i need do obtain it quickly.
i bought this game instead of all of the games you all listed exactly because i need and want to gear up easily and than think only about explore, wvw and dungeon.
without even a hr grinding for it. without feeling forced to do it.
period.
the only grind i would appreciate is barely skins and titles.
period.
i need to be on a par with everybody of the server. period.

stop trying to define others’ desires.
stop comparing to other mmo.
you disagree? servers are on. enjoy it

Super Gear Grind?

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t think determining wants vs needs is appropriate for this discussion. As an activity gaming is explicitly a ‘want’ to begin with, it is a ‘luxury’ form of recreation anyway and no one can say for anyone else what is necessary for their enjoyment and satisfaction.

However, re: that section of this discussion I will throw this out there – have a look at Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Approaching its peak are Esteem and Self actualization, i.e. a sense of achievement and respect, being the best you can be (for the sake of argument let’s consider those the real life equivalent of BiS gear). So I think we can all acknowledge that players do need Ascended gear if it is something that they value.

Attachments:

Super Gear Grind?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

ohoh…the you don’t need it" plague again

well.
a need is a personal feel.
don t even try to define what i need. it s my right.

and i need BiS. and i need do obtain it quickly.
i bought this game instead of all of the games you all listed exactly because i need and want to gear up easily and than think only about explore, wvw and dungeon.
without even a hr grinding for it. without feeling forced to do it.
period.
the only grind i would appreciate is barely skins and titles.
period.
i need to be on a par with everybody of the server. period.

stop trying to define others’ desires.
stop comparing to other mmo.
you disagree? servers are on. enjoy it

Not comparing to other MMOs, and not going to tell you your desires are wrong.

But most of GW2 isn’t designed so the power boost of Ascended makes any difference at all. Hence “it’s unnecessary”.