THAT'S how you make a dungeon, ArenaNet!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

This dungeon just felt and played better than any others ive experienced in this game. It felt epic, urgent, and you felt connected to the characters in what you were doing as well as why you were there.

Forget homogeneous paths…

Forget boring bosses…

This is how all dungeons in the future should be!

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Wait 4 days and everyone is burnt out on it… It will be the same. I felt this way with AC and CoF aswell

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I agree.

If you can make more dungeons like this you’ll be the best MMO on the block.

I like the idea of using jump to avoid damage and knocking enemies out of protection fields. It’s innovative and demands smart play.

Boss encounters should have healing abilities that demand interruption as well.

Posted by: Valinerya.6713

Valinerya.6713

Really enjoyed this dungeon I said to my party mates “This is the best dungeon ArenaNet has made so far in this game.”

We were a PUG composed of 4 rangers and 1 mesmer… and we still succeeded! It was tricky, we wiped a couple times, but we were able to stand back and figure out WHY we wiped. When we had learned the mechanics, we succeeded, and had a great time doing so.

I can honestly say that was the most fun I have had in a dungeon since game release. The trash mobs did not have excessively high HP pools, but they had some mechanics that needed a little thinking to counter. Both major battles were exciting, and filled the party chat with “OMG” and “Ohhhh we are in for it now…” and lots of laughter!

Keep it up ArenaNet. Truly a terrific gaming experience.

Posted by: BunnytheSwordsman.4173

BunnytheSwordsman.4173

Probably the one problem I truly had was when I tried my second run (after needing to get off for work) we ran into the Translucent Ooze Champion and its little minions. I felt like I was in Orr again. sigh

Other than that, I agree, the dungeon was fun.

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Since it is temp content we shouldn’t have to worry about burn out.

That being said, I really enjoyed it as well. Definitely plan on running it some more.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Yeah it is awesome. Really glad that it’s gonna be gone soon because cool, permanent content is too mainstream apparently.

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

You know what’s good incentive to run a dungeon? A kittening jetpack as a reward.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

Is it a group required dungeon or can it be solo’ed with just the NPC’s?

Posted by: Valinerya.6713

Valinerya.6713

You definitely need a group for this one Aly

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Really enjoyed it.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Very cool dungeon. The health on the mobs may be a tiny bit lowered so it won’t become tedious, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

During the boss cut-scene, has anyone seen that karate-move the bruiser boss did, with sending kisses after the move? It was freaking hilarious!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I came here to say the same. Loved this dungeon. It was worth the wait.

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

The final boss fight is just like CoF p3…

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I felt none of what you are describing. The dungeon looks great, as all things do in Guild Wars 2. But the writing is still cringeworthy. I don’t care about he characters at all, and their lines sound like something out of a bad B-movie. I found the obstacles to be obnoxious. All the jumping and dodging becomes tedious after you done it ten times. And we just did the exact same thing in the Super Adventure Box boss fight. I’d much rather see a boss with precise animations, that can kill me in three hits, instead of a boss that does the same flashy move fifty times, with barely any consequence. I always feel like bosses in Guild Wars 2 are either overpowered, because you can’t read their animations or see their AoE circles clearly, or underpowered, because their hits deals next to no damage. Both things were the case in this dungeon. Just my opinion, it’s okay if you don’t agree.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Agreed!

I didn’t feel like I was suddenly the worst player in the game. It was interesting and the pace was great. The enemies didnt feel stupidly overpowered, and the final,fight was interesting and exciting.

Well done ANet.

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Ornstein and Smough anyone?

That boss fight was kitten.

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Best part of the whole dungeon – after the testing arena, the Engineer that pops up like “HAAAAA!”, who is level 1. Smacked him in the face and that was that. I hadn’t laughed that hard in weeks.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

It was fun, looked great and all that. But the same old boring problem persists, lack of loot for the work done. There is really no point, for me atleast, to run it again. There just isnt anything special about it the second run.

The glove token reward from the meta achievment was kinda nice, if it wasnt for the fact that the gloves just looks awkward on most armor sets. I’m still saving the token, because I dont know which toon the gloves will fit on. If the color of the molten effect would be dyable it would be different, but currently it only looks decent on my warrior, but there there problem comes with shoulders and clipping issues, due to too big spikes on the molten part of the gloves. On other toons they are just too bulky.

Why do stuff need to be so pointy, why couldnt the molten metal parts be on the gloves and not halfway up the arm of the character?

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: DHK.8406

DHK.8406

I love the cinematics, and the first boss encounter is pretty awesome. I would have hope for a bit longer of a dungeon perhaps 2 paths?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This is a great temporary dungeon. If this were to be made permanent, it’ll be waaaay too easy.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

This is a great temporary dungeon. If this were to be made permanent, it’ll be waaaay too easy.

Many current dungeons are easier than this one. Difficulty-wise it falls somewhere in the middle.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Many current dungeons are easier than this one. Difficulty-wise it falls somewhere in the middle.

They are only easier because you’ve done them multiple times already. Try doing this dungeon 5x a day (for all 5 char slots) for the next few days, then tell me how bored you are of the now-cute-then-cheesy box dodge thingy.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

They are only easier because you’ve done them multiple times already. Try doing this dungeon 5x a day (for all 5 char slots) for the next few days, then tell me how bored you are of the now-cute-then-cheesy box dodge thingy.

Still miles better than the many HP sponges that can be afk’d while on auto-attack that we have in current dungeons. Also, I don’t do the same dungeon 5 times a day. Once a day is just fine, and if it gets boring, once every few days.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Practice makes perfect. Do really expect them to release a dungeon every hour, or every day for you? because you find it too easy because you’ve done it repeatedly? I hope you answer no.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

I liked the dungeon overall. I liked the living story too also mostly. Only I felt it took too long to reach its conclusion. I know this is a test for the living story system and I’m all for this kind of dynamic content, but it’s going to have to come out within the space of around a month rather than over say 2-3 I think.

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

yeah i loved what they did with the living story and i definitely loved this dungeon, i don’t know why bother to create something so fun to do only temporarily though, i really wish this dungeon can stay or maybe fractalised?
i loved to do it, mobs weren’t overhealth powered, but still needed to be understood to fight properly, i loved the final bosses…
i hope i’ll have that jetpack…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I liked the dungeon, it was enjoyable and everyone knows the 1st time you run a dungeon you after wipe multiple times but this one we didn’t…makes for a nice change…my favourite was the 2 bosses at the end…

I think the dungeon should have a permanent home somewhere…

This constant temporary content is doing GW2 no favours…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Highfive on the new dungeon!!

/big smiles

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

The boss fights had some nice design wherein patterns slowly ramped up and started combining. In terms of evasive gameplay certainly a big step up.

But those were the two bosses, the rest dragged a bit I’d say. Just filler material in between. A lot of action games get criticized when they have endless thrashmob encounters in successive arena battles. (DMC says hello).

End chest rewards being linked to RNG again, not much to say what hasn’t been said a million times. Except maybe GW2 is starting to be a bit all over the place. The Living Story team advancing bosses in dungeons, the dungeon teams starting to create new teamplay in fractals, the SAB being a totally different creature, all three together having entirely different reward schemes depending on the day of the week they were released. It looks like everything is up for being tossed against the wall to see what sticks.

(edited by FourthVariety.5463)

Posted by: Adam.4103

Adam.4103

It was fun but I wish it was more challenging.

Adam The Vanquisher
Gandara

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

The boss fights had some nice design wherein patterns slowly ramped up and started combining. In terms of evasive gameplay certainly a big step up.

But those were the two bosses, the rest dragged a bit I’d say. Just filler material in between. A lot of action games get criticized when they have endless thrashmob encounters in successive arena battles. (DMC says hello).

End chest rewards being linked to RNG again, not much to say what hasn’t been said a million times. Except maybe GW2 is starting to be a bit all over the place. The Living Story team advancing bosses in dungeons, the dungeon teams starting to create new teamplay in fractals, the SAB being a totally different creature, all three together having entirely different reward schemes depending on the day of the week they were released. It looks like everything is up for being tossed against the wall to see what sticks.

Agreed. My guildies all say the same thing. None of us think Anet knows what they want GW2 to be. It’s all over the place.

Posted by: MrAlfredBuddyGuy.9852

MrAlfredBuddyGuy.9852

Why is this temporary? I understand SAB being temporary…

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Wait 4 days and everyone is burnt out on it… It will be the same. I felt this way with AC and CoF aswell

Do people not know what this phrase means? They can’t burn you out on something, that’s your doing alone. I won’t be burned out on it after four days, or even two weeks, because I have enough common sense and self control to take things at an enjoyable pace.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

Do ANYTHING 5x a day and you’ll become bored with it. I don’t care what it is.

And yes, even that.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Loved the dungeon, had great fun with guildies, enjoyed the trip to the bosses and struggled some with them. It was a nice mix of not too tough and tough enough. Thank you!

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I lol’d pretty hard when I seen how the gloves were introduced ^^

II think the living story ends should allow players to receive one weapon ticket for trade to get a skin.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

Loved it from the beginning till the end,not too tough and yet not too easy,I guess this is due to the temporary state of the dungeon to allow everyone to enjoy it.

We had a lot of fun doing it and loved the Boss fight.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I second this post. I hardly ever play dungeons or fractals because I really dislike them and/or find them boring. This dungeon was fun, didn’t take forever, and was still rewarding. Looked amazing too.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

agree but i said the same thing when fractals were released and now hate them.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: cocolu.7640

cocolu.7640

i had a blast but I got to admit it was very challenging. My pug consisted of 2 thief, a ranger, a necro and a warrior. All 80s but still it took 3 tries to beat the duo.

Very fun though. I wished the rewards were a little more idk rewarding?? All i got was junk.

Posted by: BenGrech.3912

BenGrech.3912

All this game needs, is a hint of some great dungeons, and its the best MMO out there

Great dungeon btw!!

Posted by: BadHabitZz.1856

BadHabitZz.1856

It wasnt bad (i dont like this CoF-Charr-Dredge theme but thats just my perference it wasnt badly done or anything like that..), but i didnt liked the last stage of the final fight it was bunch of OP abilites that werent avoidable so you were forced spam “1” at max range, not that exciting if you ask me…

(edited by BadHabitZz.1856)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

It was Ok but i didnt liked the last stage of the final fight it was bunch of OP abilites that werent avoidable so you were forced spam “1” at max range, not that exciting if you ask me…

Or you could just use jump?

Its great for doing the monthly vet slayer…80% complete in 1 run…so that means you kill 80 vets in 1 run?

What loot is everyone getting? Done 2 runs so far, 1g to 1.5g per run, pretty poor really…but a few in my party got some rares dropping and 2 exotics…wondering if they had high MF…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Darkdanjal.3401

Darkdanjal.3401

Dungeon was great but to easy, with my guildies we basicly one shotted the dungeon, didnt wipe on any of the 2 boss encounters.

I have to say I had a lot of fun in the boss encounters, and it was after all a story mode, but I have to agree with the OP this is how you make a dungeon and I hope in the future to have dragon encounters like this also.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It was well designed with fun mechanics— I generally hate instances with a passion but this was challenging in the good sense. In general, if it seems reasonable that you can complete it one go without failures, even if you actually don’t manage to do it, then it represents a good challenge that can be improved on with some practice. Well, that last boss was a pain though.

This is the way to go for future content.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.