TY Anet for Transgender NPC!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Anet pulled through, and introduced a transgender NPC into the game! A big Thank You to Colin for showing love to my LGBT friends.

Aid Worker Sya, formerly know as Symon. Tyria took one step closer to equality for all!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

yay! Where is she?

Posted by: Headcase.4618

Headcase.4618

Anyone got any before and after pics? Cuz I really don’t remember this NPC. (Then again, I don’t pay much attention to NPCs anyway)

Smooth Penguin.5294

Here’s the before and after pix.

Attachments:

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

how do you know a net went for the tne transgender route? it could easily be a genderswap.

Smooth Penguin.5294

how do you know a net went for the tne transgender route? it could easily be a genderswap.

Did you read the text in the 2nd pic above you?

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

oh guess i overlooked that ok.

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Hmm, “Being a mesmer makes it easier.” ?

I wonder if that’s implying she’s covering herself in illusion or something else? Now I’m kinda curious how far Anet thought about taking this; is she just dressing differently to identify as a woman or has there been some kind of alteration?

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

I wonder if that’s implying she’s covering herself in illusion or something else? Now I’m kinda curious how far Anet thought about taking this; is she just dressing differently to identify as a woman or has there been some kind of alteration?

i assume it’s a way for her to feel more comfortable with how she presents

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Wow! Thank you A-Net, that rocks!

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I am not sure how I feel about this

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Vintorez.1605

Vintorez.1605

And so ANet managed to introduce lore for the Full Makeover Kit.

(edited by Vintorez.1605)

Posted by: jesters.9406

jesters.9406

This was such a lovely addition. Thank you, Anet.

And thank you for having interactions with her, both from other NPCs and our player character, show 100% unambiguous support of her.

A+ job, truly wonderful! <3

(edited by jesters.9406)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I love this.

Especially since the total makeover kit has been in the game for ages, it’s really nice to see the same option available to NPCs and therefore working it into the lore.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

No that implies that Kasmeer is a transgender too! Rejoice!

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Smooth Penguin.5294

Even if it’s a Mesmer illusion, that still counts as something. Look at transgender people in real life. They’re living life as the opposite gender, while remaining biologically the gender they were born with. A man who grows his hair long, wears makeup and a dress, is still a man. But he now identifies as a “she”, and can legally (depending on the State) be recognized as female.

If Kasmeer can run around without clothes, only sporting her illusion, then it should be ok for Sya.

Bottom line, even though trolls got my original thread closed, Anet listened and heard my pleas to make my LGBT friends feel more welcome to this game. I’m now going to get more friends into GW2 by sharing this. I know of no other MMO that is so open to homosexual and transgender storylines. Colin and his team has outdone themselves!

Posted by: Michael.8562

Michael.8562

What an amazing, thoughtful, inclusive thing to do! Thanks Anet!!!!

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Huh.
Well that is certainly interesting.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Smooth Penguin.5294

We should mail cookies and other stuff to Anet to thank them for being a wonderful company. I’ve sent them chocolates from Hawaii, and another person sent them a cake. Food makes the Devs work extra hard! Here’s the address:

3180 139th Ave SE
5th Floor
Bellevue, WA 98005

No that implies that Kasmeer is a transgender too! Rejoice!

That puts the Mini Southsun Kasmeer into a whole new perspective!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Yay anet! This is so great because it’s presented as normal and not OMG LOOK LOOK.

Now let’s see some asexuals too!

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Jevati.4328

Jevati.4328

Thank you, ANet. I can’t tell you how much this means to me and to my guild.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

i don’t really get it… nothing against the lgbt community, have several friends who are, and legally i think they should have more rights, but why the need to put hot topic issues in a fantasy video game? In a game about unity and fighting dragons just seems like a good way to stirr up controversy and have more religion debates in trade chat and can see otherwise good people who just happen to have a religious belief getting banned just for having a discussion (even if in a polite/friendly manner)

why not put obama or hillary flyers up, or crosses or other religious symbols ingame too? Thought the whole point of a fantasy video game was to escape reality.

bunny trail but… why do voters even care about social issues atm when we are billions or trillions in debt atm in the usa. everything else seems kind of irrelevant in comparison to the giant problem that isn’t going away.

again (just to make it clear and i dont get banned for even posting this lol) i support the agenda, but I don’t get the need for it in a game. let the politicians and preachers fight in real life, ingame i just want to fight dragons and talk in trade chat without debates.

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

i don’t really get it… nothing against the lgbt community, have several friends who are, and legally i think they should have more rights, but why the need to put hot topic issues in a fantasy video game? In a game about unity and fighting dragons just seems like a good way to stirr up controversy and have more religion debates in trade chat and can see otherwise good people who just happen to have a religious belief getting banned just for having a discussion (even if in a polite/friendly manner)

why not put obama or hillary flyers up, or crosses or other religious symbols ingame too? Thought the whole point of a fantasy video game was to escape reality.

bunny trail but… why do voters even care about social issues atm when we are billions or trillions in debt atm in the usa. everything else seems kind of irrelevant in comparison to the giant problem that isn’t going away.

again (just to make it clear and i dont get banned for even posting this lol) i support the agenda, but I don’t get the need for it in a game. let the politicians and preachers fight in real life, ingame i just want to fight dragons and talk in trade chat without debates.

Being LGBTQ is not a political issue. It is a fact of life. And by your arguments, why have male and female genders in a fantasy game. Or relationships. Or different political factions. Remove any source of conflict between people or differences.

I like that this game has chosen to reflect all of the people who play it, not just some, in their NPCs. It’s inclusive.

You know there are LGBTQ in many many works of fantasy right? Game of Thrones is an immediate one that comes to mind. Even Orson Scott Card (staunch Mormon) chose to include a homosexual in one of his books.

Also… as a dude who happens to be gay, I have no agenda, other than to live my life and to be treated with the same respect all people should be treated with. We don’t hold meetings where we discuss strategy or have some secret plan to convert the world. I think you meant to say, you support equality for all people, not a gay “agenda”.

Please understand – I’m not attacking you, and I’m not angry… I’m just perplexed when I see these points being made. I don’t get it.

Smooth Penguin.5294

It’s more about being inclusive, and showing support in a subtle way. Anet isn’t pushing it down our throats. They have an NPC with dialogue that indicates that she used to be known as a he. If a player doesn’t like it due to whatever religion they follow in real life, it can be simply ignored. Just like how I don’t like Fractals anymore, so I no longer do them.

Now if a player(s) chooses to focus on this NPC, that’s up to them. Knowing that this character exists doesn’t change the overall MMO experience of killing dragons. Yet a small addition like Sya to the lore of Tyria can mean the world to a player who can relate to her identity/lifestyle.

jesters.9406

In my experience, anything that starts with “nothing against the lgbt community” is probably going to be against the lgbt community, just like anything that starts “nothing against black people” is probably going be racist.

I always hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I wasn’t this time, and I doubt I will be the next time either. :’)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I think this is great, and I commend anet for including a trans character in game. Also, for having our character, AND the lionsguard they talk to be so cool with it.

Posted by: hibari.9836

hibari.9836

The inclusion of this NPC has zero to do with any “hot topic issue,” unless you believe it is up to you to debate whether transgender people do or don’t exist. And let me tell you, bud, that ain’t up to you! We exist regardless of your opinions on the matter!

Regardless, this NPC has nothing at all to do with any discussion of people’s real world legal rights or other real world issues. It is simply a fact of life that gender variant and gender non-normative people are a part of the real world (and they are not at all a modern or Anglo-European invention either, btw). It should be zero skin off of your nose that an aspect of human diversity be acknowledged as part of a game world. And if you feel that it is some skin off your nose then I think you have to face the fact that that’s nothing but ignorance and prejudice.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

In my experience, anything that starts with “nothing against the lgbt community” is probably going to be against the lgbt community, just like anything that starts “nothing against black people” is probably going be racist.

I always hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I wasn’t this time, and I doubt I will be the next time either. :’)

I think he feels like he doesn’t mind it, but doesn’t want the game becoming a platform for this kind of stuff.

If you’ve kept up with the certain gaming world contraversies recently, you should know where these concerns come from.

Personally, I don’t mind, it’s a minor NPC, isn’t going to get in my way.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

This is fantastic, now can we have major characters who are trans? Or even Sya here could become more important?

Also, quick question @ the devs: who is the voice actress for Sya?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe it’ll be the next Mesmer spec. :o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

if u actually read what i said… there isn’t anything against the community. Specifically said i have friends who are and also support their rights. I don’t like intolerance anymore than you do.

in reply to lord ahran: I didn’t say “being” gay was a political issue, i 100% agree with u that its a way of life and am completely cool with it. Just seems like the whole “debate” is a political issue and a hot button social issue at that judging by how passionate both sides get talking about it. To me might as well promote obamacare, or limited government, or christianity, or wiccans, or taxes, or other things that tend to upset people one way or another. I just don’t like people fighting over real life hot topics when I’m trying to have fun playing a game. That’s all i meant. If my friend comes out I will pat him on the back and say good for you bud But if 2 friends start fighting or arguing I will walk away since I don’t like confrontation.

ps: <3 Game of thrones. Difference between watching tv and a game with live interaction/chats where people tend to get vocal.

jesters.9406

if u actually read what i said… there isn’t anything against the community. Specifically said i have friends who are and also support their rights. I don’t like intolerance anymore than you do.

in reply to lord ahran: I didn’t say “being” gay was a political issue, i 100% agree with u that its a way of life and am completely cool with it. Just seems like the whole “debate” is a political issue and a hot button social issue at that judging by how passionate both sides get talking about it. To me might as well promote obamacare, or limited government, or christianity, or wiccans, or taxes, or other things that tend to upset people one way or another. I just don’t like people fighting over real life hot topics when I’m trying to have fun playing a game. That’s all i meant. If my friend comes out I will pat him on the back and say good for you bud But if 2 friends start fighting or arguing I will walk away since I don’t like confrontation.

ps: <3 Game of thrones. Difference between watching tv and a game with live interaction/chats where people tend to get vocal.

“I have LGBT friends” does not actually make you exempt from saying troubling things against the community, just as you did in your earlier comment.

If you think you aren’t saying something against the LGBT community, let me tell you that you might want to reconsider.

jesters.9406

I think he feels like he doesn’t mind it, but doesn’t want the game becoming a platform for this kind of stuff.

If you’ve kept up with the certain gaming world contraversies recently, you should know where these concerns come from.

Personally, I don’t mind, it’s a minor NPC, isn’t going to get in my way.

This is what I’m afraid of too. Not the NPC himself, but the people who will fight a flame war over him. Just let him be whatever he wants and let the game be a game.

Not the NPC herself, but the people who will fight a flame war over her. Just let herbe whatever she wants and let the game be a game.

Fix’d that for you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

They’re hardly making a big deal of it. We’re talking about one NPC standing in Lion’s Arch who, if you choose to speak to her, will tell you about one of her recent personal life choices.

It’s hardly Anet making a political statement, any more than the asura in Rata Sum who talks about having a trial separation from her partner is making a grand political statement on divorce.

Obviously there will be some cross-over between real life people, events and opinions and those in-game because even when creating a fantasy world you have to start from what you know. But in this case I don’t think it has anything to do with real life politics, whether it’s a current ‘hot topic’ in your country (or anyone else’s) or not.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Horrigan.6792

Horrigan.6792

I personally see no harm in this change and I openly encourage it. This is a fantasy game after all right? People pretend to be small little rodents, lumbering frost giants, ferocious feline warriors and even humanoid plants.

What’s the harm in a man pretending to be a woman? I think an RPG is the perfect format for that.

Well done ANET!

Posted by: hibari.9836

hibari.9836

Another thank you, ANet. This was a very classy move and very well executed, especially because it’s not heavy handed and not preachy. Small gestures like this go a long way in making people feel acknowledged, and in allowing them to feel like stories which have personal resonance for them have a place in the game world.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

If he was a major NPC (or even if he’s not), and the plot calls for him to die, would you treat it as any other NPC dying, or would you be outraged how ANet killed a transgendered character? If you said yes to the latter question, then you are not ready for equality.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

It’s only a hot topic because bigoted people are trying to push that’s it not normal and should be stopped. The LGBT community would love it if everyone could just say “ok were cool with that and accept it” and we could stop talking about it in every political debate.

Also, just as others have pointed out, you’ve said “I support it” then made claims directly not. It’s extremely insulting to say “I’m cool with it but I don’t want to see it here”. Taking no side is almost as bad as taking the wrong side.

Posted by: mistato.2047

mistato.2047

Rofl. Just when you think you have seen it all.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

It’s only a hot topic because bigoted people are trying to push that’s it not normal and should be stopped. The LGBT community would love it if everyone could just say “ok were cool with that and accept it” and we could stop talking about it in every political debate.

Also, just as others have pointed out, you’ve said “I support it” then made claims directly not. It’s extremely insulting to say “I’m cool with it but I don’t want to see it here”. Taking no side is almost as bad as taking the wrong side.

There is nothing bigoted about wanting a game to remain at the forefront, a game.

That being said, this minor npc change is not threatening that, but that’s all it should remain, the moment these kind of things become a selling of the game, we have a problem.

At the moment, the only problem there is are paranoias and overzealousness toward these views.

I think this is the last point I’ll post here because these topics tend to get quite nasty quickly if they continue too long.

Horrigan.6792

I think ANET changing a minor NPC who is insignificant and has zero impact on the game whatsoever to represent the transgender community is not only a bold move but also highly appropriate and accurately representative of the transgender movement.

Once again well done ANET!

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

I think ANET changing a minor NPC who is insignificant and has zero impact on the game whatsoever to represent the transgender community is not only a bold move but also highly appropriate and accurately representative of the transgender movement.

Once again well done ANET!

Is that sarcasm? It just seems phrased like sarcasm is why I ask.

Maybe the NPC just used a total makeover kit.

Horrigan.6792

I wasn’t born sarcastic but I do personally identify as sarcastic.

mistato.2047

Being LGBTQ is not a political issue. It is a fact of life. And by your arguments, why have male and female genders in a fantasy game. Or relationships. Or different political factions. Remove any source of conflict between people or differences.

I like that this game has chosen to reflect all of the people who play it, not just some, in their NPCs. It’s inclusive.

You know there are LGBTQ in many many works of fantasy right? Game of Thrones is an immediate one that comes to mind. Even Orson Scott Card (staunch Mormon) chose to include a homosexual in one of his books.

Also… as a dude who happens to be gay, I have no agenda, other than to live my life and to be treated with the same respect all people should be treated with. We don’t hold meetings where we discuss strategy or have some secret plan to convert the world. I think you meant to say, you support equality for all people, not a gay “agenda”.

Please understand – I’m not attacking you, and I’m not angry… I’m just perplexed when I see these points being made. I don’t get it.

“Transgender people can be straight, gay, lesbian or bisexual. Q stands for questioning – someone who is questioning their sexual and/or gender orientation. Sometimes, the Q stands for “qu**r,” a term reclaimed by some LGBTs for political reasons.”

www.depts.ttu.edu/scc/virtual_library/lgbtq.php

It is political, you can’t make it not. Now I’m not saying it is political because of that quote. I just thought it was funny.

mistato.2047

Nice talking points. I bet you would call everyone bigoted that don’t agree/support you. But could care less what you do.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Oh wow, that’s great!
Very nice to see people that others can relate with too! Congratulations to Anet

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Big thank you to ANet and also thank you to all the people posting here with respectful messages.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

“I have LGBT friends” does not actually make you exempt from saying troubling things against the community, just as you did in your earlier comment.

If you think you aren’t saying something against the LGBT community, let me tell you that you might want to reconsider.

Since when can’t people speak their mind? If someone has an unpopular opinion they should just shut up now?
Just like you have a right to be and have your opinions – so does he. He might be wrong or not – stop using the fact that you’re different as some form of magical shield.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

In a world with magic, it does seem political. As the character could have changed and no one would have known.

A Vegan Charr on the other hand would be scandalous however.

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

I couldn’t give a crap. However it’s a better introduction to something non-mainstream than the horrible garbage dialogue we had of our lesbian heroes.

I hope Anet learned from that debacle, people honestly wouldn’t care if characters are gay or bi or lesbians or transgender or w/e, as long as you don’t make a friggin spectacle of it.

new trans character: “Yeah I was a guy, I’m a girl now”
That is fine

Marjory and kasmeer: “OH I LOVE YOU HUNNY BUNNY I WONT LET THEM HURT YOU KISSY KISSY FACE.”
That was just awful, and we had to endure it for weeks, and no it’s nothing against them, this is bad dialogue for ANY sexual orientation, it’s awful cringe-worthy dialogue and frankly I am OFFENDED by such awful dialogue more than anything else and the writers should be ashamed.