TY Anet for Transgender NPC!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Never noticed, as I don’t speak that much to npcs, but I believe it is a nice addition. Done discreetly as well, as indifference is all that matters. Trans as folks as one should say. Congratulations Anet anyway, it is much appreciated.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I haven’t weighed into this thread yet but I’ve been watching it grow. I find if funny how people have no issue with murderers, and killers and evil undead things, but somehow a transsexual is off limits.

We’re running around sticking swords into people and killing them every day, but a person who chooses to view themselves differently is somehow a big deal. The people who object, object because it somehow offends their moral code. Somehow it’s wrong to put in the game something that goes against their deeply held beliefs.

Well bigotry goes against my deeply held beliefs. Judge people on who they are, not your preconception you have based on some societally installed metric that doesn’t hold water in different cultures.

We shouldn’t even have to have this conversation. We should be past this. We should be more tolerant than this.

Because it’s a big world, there are a lot of people in it, and we all have to live together.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: TESnake.2084

TESnake.2084

I haven’t weighed into this thread yet but I’ve been watching it grow. I find if funny how people have no issue with murderers, and killers and evil undead things, but somehow a transsexual is off limits.

We’re running around sticking swords into people and killing them every day, but a person who chooses to view themselves differently is somehow a big deal. The people who object, object because it somehow offends their moral code. Somehow it’s wrong to put in the game something that goes against their deeply held beliefs.

Excuse me.

I did not kill a single living being in order to gain “experience”. I spent my time learning various tradeskills and helping out my community with various goods that I produced. And now, I provide numerous services both in crafting and with the use of my water elemental talents, without rampantly slaughtering the local populace or wildlife.

Do NOT shoehorn me in with the societal standard of improving one’s self at the expense of others. You are a murderer who benefits from society’s ingrained notions about life and experience. You need to check your leveling privilege.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Excuse me.

I did not kill a single living being in order to gain “experience”. I spent my time learning various tradeskills and helping out my community with various goods that I produced. And now, I provide numerous services both in crafting and with the use of my water elemental talents, without rampantly slaughtering the local populace or wildlife.

Do NOT shoehorn me in with the societal standard of improving one’s self at the expense of others. You are a murderer who benefits from society’s ingrained notions about life and experience. You need to check your leveling privilege.

Since you are using materials off of murdered people and animals to make things to sell to benefit yourself, I wouldn’t be too proud.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

I’m happy Sya got her spot in the game. Not because I think she’s making some sort of stand, but because she helps bring the game to life. I wish there were more characters with dialogue and hopefully more in some form of interesting relationship be they an Asura child with her human guard caretaker, Sylvari asking a charr about war, or 2 characters in love (preferably heavy on sweet and light on sap).

To make it even more alive, have more characters react differently depending on who you are. You’re a human in Charr territory? Dragons have brought both races together, but most Charr aren’t too chummy with humans. Dialogue should reflect that. You’re an Asura talking with Sylvari? Sylvari have a thing for acting very young. What sort of odd questions might they ask a midget genius? And a Charr visiting friendly skritt. That could sure be entertaining.

I do wonder though what went through people’s heads when they put in Sya’s dialogue. What did the OP think when making this topic. The mixed reaction was inevitable. Must have meant a lot to a number of people. While I think it’s wrong to put a casual conversation on a pedestal, Sya for the most part seems a nice small edition to the game.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think it’s a nice addition, but… why is this such a big topic?

This game is set in a world where people routinely suspend their own life force to turn into a powerful undead (Lich Form) to better destroy anything that’s opposing them. Where the guy next to you is a norn, and he turns into a werewolf when he’s angry. And that talking plant person over there was turned into an effing chocobo last week!

In Tyria, a mesmer pulling a gender swap is about as shocking as slightly underdone toast. Anyone acting like it’s a big deal would be the exception, not the norm.

Now, as for real life?

I am who I am. If I was to lose my arm tomorrow, it would make my life more difficult, but it would not change who I am. Dye my hair, recolor my skin, it doesn’t matter. I’m still me, I don’t suddenly become someone else. It is my mind, not my body, that defines who I am.

If someone’s mind and body do not agree, I’ll go with what the mind says.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

TESnake.2084

Since you are using materials off of murdered people and animals to make things to sell to benefit yourself, I wouldn’t be too proud.

This is what’s wrong with Tyrian society. You ASSUME that I fit into your little narrative about how the world works. That I’ve slaughtered animals or used animal products to serve my own interests.

I’ll have you know that the majority of my work was done with inorganic materials. Anything taken from a living creature was done so when that creature died of natural causes. Like a dragon’s spawn razing a village.

Get out of your sheltered ivory tower, and understand that there are GOOD PEOPLE who are DIFFERENT from others!

Kury.8210

I’ll have you know that the majority of my work was done with inorganic materials. Anything taken from a living creature was done so when that creature died of natural causes. Like a dragon’s spawn razing a village.

Get out of your sheltered ivory tower, and understand that there are GOOD PEOPLE who are DIFFERENT from others!

Not so sure you’d find much useable material after a dragon pays your town a visit. As for natural causes, perfectly believable. Meteors and ghosts are natural occurring phenomena, correct?

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is what’s wrong with Tyrian society. You ASSUME that I fit into your little narrative about how the world works. That I’ve slaughtered animals or used animal products to serve my own interests.

Huh. So if a tornado hits your house in your village and I go over and take the clothes off your dead body, take meat and hide off the dead family cow and pick through the rubble for what I want, that’s ok? Cool. I didn’t know that. I though that was called looting (which is illegal) ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Kury.8210

Huh. So if a tornado hits your house in your village and I go over and take the clothes off your dead body, take meat and hide off the dead family cow and pick through the rubble for what I want, that’s ok? Cool. I didn’t know that. I though that was called looting (which is illegal) ^^

Think of the poor dead folks like organ donors. Ooh! Maybe he looks for donor cards?

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

my ascended armor is vegan faux leather

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Every time I think maybe the real world isn’t so bad, I come back to topics like this and it’s why I go bury my head in the game again. What a nice world where I don’t have to field BS all the time about my orientation being ‘a challenge’ and told maybe someone should sexually violate me to change it (too late, someone tried that) or where a verb to describe a state the mental illness I’ve struggled with for 20 years causes isn’t constantly misused as some sort of sick joke against “SJWs” or where my disabilities don’t make me ‘worthless’ as both a human being and a woman. And hey, there are characters who represent some of that. They’re normal. Not special snowflakes. Not worthy of gobs of attention because of it. Normal.

Look, this NPC is a minor drip in a bucket that made transfolk happy when they noticed. That’s it. That’s all she is. Some NPC who is trans and gets treated as perfectly normal instead of a freak of nature. I’m not trans, this doesn’t promote any personal agenda, it was just a nice thing. Hey, in Tyria, no one cares if you’re trans, sweet right? Being yourself can be hard but it’s okay, you’re accepted, you’re wanted, you’re valuable. That is a darn good message to give, even through a NPC who doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

Anet pulled through, and introduced a transgender NPC into the game! A big Thank You to Colin for showing love to my LGBT friends.

Aid Worker Sya, formerly know as Symon. Tyria took one step closer to equality for all!

Omg where is that npc??? O.O

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

(edited by Reem.3578)

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Every time I think maybe the real world isn’t so bad, I come back to topics like this and it’s why I go bury my head in the game again. What a nice world where I don’t have to field BS all the time about my orientation being ‘a challenge’ and told maybe someone should sexually violate me to change it (too late, someone tried that) or where a verb to describe a state the mental illness I’ve struggled with for 20 years causes isn’t constantly misused as some sort of sick joke against “SJWs” or where my disabilities don’t make me ‘worthless’ as both a human being and a woman. And hey, there are characters who represent some of that. They’re normal. Not special snowflakes. Not worthy of gobs of attention because of it. Normal.

Look, this NPC is a minor drip in a bucket that made transfolk happy when they noticed. That’s it. That’s all she is. Some NPC who is trans and gets treated as perfectly normal instead of a freak of nature. I’m not trans, this doesn’t promote any personal agenda, it was just a nice thing. Hey, in Tyria, no one cares if you’re trans, sweet right? Being yourself can be hard but it’s okay, you’re accepted, you’re wanted, you’re valuable. That is a darn good message to give, even through a NPC who doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme.

Beautifully put.

Anx

Posted by: stobie.2134

stobie.2134

I went & said hi to her. She looks happy

(btw, she’s in the Mist Portal area)

TESnake.2084

You’re setting up a fallacious argument to support your position. I never said I went and looted villages; merely gave an example as to what kind of leather or meat good I would purchase at my local trading post should I need to craft such an item. I’m not going to support hunters or poachers killing for the sake of killing.

If you want to pick the clothes off my dead body, I would be both physically incapable of stopping you, and mentally incapable of forming an opinion about your actions. I would be dead. :^)

(edited by TESnake.2084)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’m pleased that we have some diversity in-game that does reflect real-life issues. Not only does that make the game more relateable, it will help raise awareness on hot-topic issues. Media is a great tool to educate people- over time, exposure on an issue reduces the knee-jerk reaction some people have against differences.

But, I think A-net needs to be careful when and how they use such “plot points” however. Being LGBT results in a reaction and (in a perfect world) simply shouldn’t, just like deciding to have/not to have kids is a life changing decision which doesn’t concern other people. These things shouldn’t just be dumped into the story for the sake of it- these choices aren’t the sole defining characteristic of a person.

Sya’s dialogue is excellent though- it’s sensible and isn’t trying to sensationalise the LGBT community. You’ve met before, and she looks different now- she just wants to jog your memory and help you connect the dots.

Tl;dr: Raising awareness is awesome, it just has to be done in the right way. Sensationalising a life-choice isn’t beneficial towards the LGBT community.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Some people think that just because their gender and sexual attractions happened “naturally” that anything different is unnatural.

When you look at how sexual attraction clicks on at puberty it tells you that this is an something hardwired in the brain. The child never has to have lessons beforehand to tell him/her which sex they should choose. It unfolds automatically when the hormones kick in. But that also means things can be misaligned. A child can be born with the innate attraction for its own sex. Children are normally born with an innate gender that matches their sex, but not always. Some are born with a gender that doesn’t match their sex. This has occurred throughout history and in all cultures. In the past they might be allowed by their culture to take on the dress and activities of that gender, but some cultures are more rigid and “worried” about sex roles to allow this. Those who say it’s perverted or unnatural are those who are uneducated about the vast varieties of sex and gender.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Darsch.1705

Darsch.1705

I am suddenly reminded of a certain aerosmith song. Dude sure does look like a lady now.

Kudos to ArenaNet for supporting these folks. They have enough bull to deal with on a daily basis. Now if someone could get on that chromosome change therapy so they can have the proper chromosomes to match the sex they identify as that would be just swell.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

This. And well said. People need to chill. In another fifty to one-hundred years, society will look back at this topic and say: they really got upset about that?

On that note, this is the biggest topic from the patch? This has the most flames? Really? (laugh) I’d say ANet did a kitten good job if this is what people are kittening about!

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

About representation. I want fat women and men in this game. For every race.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Those who say it’s perverted or unnatural are those who are uneducated about the vast varieties of sex and gender.

I never knew my 60 something year old anatomy professor doctor PhD habil etc. teacher was uneducated. He actually called it a sickness.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I never knew my 60 something year old anatomy professor doctor PhD habil etc. teacher was uneducated. He actually called it a sickness.

So did a lot of doctors back in the day. They said homosexuality was a mental illness. And they were wrong. Being educated with a PhD does not give you a pass on ignorance.

Gone to Reddit.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Those who say it’s perverted or unnatural are those who are uneducated about the vast varieties of sex and gender.

Yes. He was uneducated. He was also speaking as he was taught as a child, without thinking about it and looking into it. Once you start looking into it, gender and sex are not always fixed. There are people with XY chromosomes that look on the outside completely female. And they are raised as female. There are people who are XY who are born looking female, are raised as female, but become male at puberty when sex hormones kick in. Most switch to male gender, some do not These things are only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. There are many situations where sex, sexual attraction and gender don’t align the way culture expects them to.

Just because someone is educated in one field, like the professor you mentioned, doesn’t mean he is educated in another or that he doesn’t speak the way he was taught by people most emphatically not educated in this when he was young.

A quote from one of the above articles.
“For instance, isn’t it about time humanity reconsidered its views on homosexuality and transgendered individuals? If a child that looks and acts like a girl can turn into a fertile and functioning boy within a few months, doesn’t that leave the door open for the possibility that homosexuality may not be choice after all, but a natural part of our humanity?”

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Bubi.7942

So did a lot of doctors back in the day. They said homosexuality was a mental illness. And they were wrong. Being educated with a PhD does not give you a pass on ignorance.

Correct me if I am wrong, but not having your body produce the right hormones (or more os less of them), being born with extra X or Y chromosomes is considered a sickness. Note: I didn’t say mental illness.

Crimson Clouds.4853

It would be lovely if this thread got back on topic, rather than discussing the details of transgender/transsexuality and personal opinion about somebody’s life choices.

It’ll probably get closed again if it continues in the current direction.

Bubi.7942

Just because someone is educated in one field, like the professor you mentioned, doesn’t mean he is educated in another or that he doesn’t speak the way he was taught by people most emphatically not educated in this when he was young.

And what field is that? Is there a more specific field for this then being an M.D.?

Note that I am just trying to point out, that education has little or nothing to do with the question.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Excuse me.

lol. Okay. But I don’t see you participating in threads condemning virtual killing happening. It’s the same thing.

Just a flesh wound.3589

And what field is that? Is there a more specific field for this then being an M.D.?

Note that I am just trying to point out, that education has little or nothing to do with the question.

That professor was also 60 years old at the time he said that. His medical training was a good 40 years before that and he was taught by people who medical training was 40 to 50 years before that. A lot has changed in the last 80 – 100 years in the understanding of human biology and the possible variations. If you are going by the one opinion of someone whose education is that far back, well, i have to tell you. There have been some updates.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

when do we get the first KKK member or neo kitten in the game?

Champion Svanir Shaman says hi. He’s close enough.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Bubi.7942

That professor was also 60 years old at the time he said that. His medical training was a good 40 years before that and he was taught by people who medical training was 40 to 50 years before that. A lot has changed in the last 80 – 100 years in the understanding of human biology and the possible variations. If you are going by the one opinion of someone whose education is that far back, well, i have to tell you. There have been some updates.

Yet some of my recently educated friends believe the same (also MD and Dentist).

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yet some of my recently educated friends believe the same (also MD and Dentist).

Educated in the fields they went to school and got a degree in doesn’t mean they are educated in everything. The fields they didn’t study, they are no better than laypeople. For example, unless transsexuality resides in the teeth, your dentist friend is uneducated about it.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Bubi.7942

Educated in the fields they went to school and got a degree in doesn’t mean they are educated in everything. The fields they didn’t study, they are no better than laypeople.

What field is that?

Many.8419

Educated in the fields they went to school and got a degree in doesn’t mean they are educated in everything. The fields they didn’t study, they are no better than laypeople.

What field is that?

Maybe I’ll translater what flesh wound tries to say. If you accept LGBT agenda – you are educated. If you don’t accept their agenda – you’re a barbarian. Your diploma or age is not important.

Modern world is disgusting.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What field is that?

Unless transsexuality resides in the teeth, your dentist friend is only a lay person in his understanding. Unless your doctor friend is a specialist in sexual behavior then his classes likely only touched upon this before going on to other subjects. Most doctors have a general medical training and then they go on to a specific training in one field.

As to the field, It’s not one field. It’s many fields coming together. For example it’s genetics, the studies of hormones and their effects, the case studies of children that are raised a different gender than their sex, history, the studies of different cultures to see how these show up over across cultures and how they are handled in each culture. It’s even studies of animals and their sexual behaviors (homosexual rams are fairly common for example).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chroma.1053

Chroma.1053

Seeing her made my day despite the innevitable transphobic backlash; I rarely feel any representation in videogames regarding my own gender identity so this is quite refreshing. ANET isnt perfect, but I really appreciate that you are one of the few big game devs to maintain a safe space for trans people and other vulnerable groups.

Bubi.7942

What field is that?

Unless transsexuality resides in the teeth, your dentist friend is only a lay person in his understanding. Unless your doctor friend is a specialist in sexual behavior then his classes likely only touched upon this before going on to other subjects. Most doctors have a general medical training and then they go on to a specific training in one field.

As to the field, It’s not one field. It’s many fields coming together. For example it’s genetics, the studies of hormones and their effects, the case studies of children that are raised a different gender than their sex, history, the studies of different cultures to see how these show up over across cultures and how they are handled in each culture. It’s even studies of animals and their sexual behaviors (homosexual rams are fairly common for example).

So unless you are a doctor, an antrpologist, an animal doctor, a psychologist, philosophist and a historian all at once and in all of these fields you have not specialized in sexual behavior your oppinions don’t really matter.

I have a feeling no one in the world fits the above description.

Testudo.4620

old people are almost always vastly ignorant to social change. which is where the racist grandparents stereotypes come from.

Zhaife

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

and here we talk and we talk

in the meantime the guard of the Inn at Eastern Ward that opens only at day is a brutish male norn with the voice of a female human and no one points it u.u

Testudo.4620

let your transphobic dentist use your account so i can read what they have to say about our evolving society

Zhaife

Crimson Clouds.4853

“Educated” or not, there is very little logic to the hatred people have for different people. Racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia stems down to “the great unknown”.

If something is different, it is scary or wrong. The subjects used to be taboo and through lack of education and understanding, new generations would often take on their parent’s opinions as there isn’t any other option given to them- “that’s just the way things are”.

Ask a homophobic, racist or transphobic why they are so prejudiced and they will struggle to find a reason, or if they give an answer it’s often unfounded. They just do.

People who are supportive of LGBT and equality have plenty of reasons to not hate. Why would you make another person suffer? What’s the point in getting fired up about somebody else’s choice that doesn’t affect you? Being hateful (to innocent people) is stressful!

And yes, as already mentioned, just wait a generation or two and people will be amazed that such injustice and hatred was a problem. My grandfather is incredibly racist and sexist and his views were commonplace back in his youth. Now his bigoted opinions would rile up the majority.

The world is moving on, people.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What field is that?

So unless you are a doctor, an antrpologist, an animal doctor, a psychologist, philosophist and a historian all at once and in all of these fields you have not specialized in sexual behavior your oppinions don’t really matter.

I have a feeling no one in the world fits the above description.

Well, if science doesn’t work for you, there is always treating others as you would like to be treated, respect, common decency and applying the core values of your religion.

ANet may give it to you.

Bubi.7942

let your transphobic dentist use your account so i can read what they have to say about our evolving society

That would be a blast. But cannot be done. He’s no gamer, only plays RL (actually he’s getting married – to a woman – next month, so he will be out of RL too). Also account sharing is violation of ToS.

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

old people are almost always vastly ignorant to social change. which is where the racist grandparents stereotypes come from.

“social change”
So, you admit it’s a social agenda, and not a real issue? If society says it’s normal, then doctors need to swallow their knowledge and research and go with the flow?
Human anatomy and physiology didn’t change for thousands of years.

Imagine if you can that you were born you, as you are now in every way, but were the opposite gender. If you can’t have empathy for your fellow man then you’re the one who needs help.

Sure, I do have empathy and pity their situation. What I don’t agree with is the path of acceptance, instead of healing. I just think that encouraging makes it worse. It would be like encouraging alcohol or gambling addict.
What I think these people need, is help from doctors, psychologists and mentor role models who will teach them to accept who they actually physically are, and not their wishful fantasies.

(edited by Halan.7931)

Just a flesh wound.3589

“social change”
So, you admit it’s a social agenda, and not a real issue? If society says it’s normal, than doctors need to swallow their knowledge and research and go with the flow?
Human anatomy and physiology didn’t change for a lot of time.

Imagine if you can that you were born you, as you are now in every way, but were the opposite gender. If you can’t have empathy for your fellow man then you’re the one who needs help.

Sure, I do have empathy and pity their situation. What I don’t agree with is the path of acceptance, instead of healing. I just think that encouraging makes it worse. It would be like encouraging alcohol or gambling addict.
What I think these people need, is help from doctors, psychologists and mentor role models who will teach them to accept who they actually physically are, and not their wishful fantasies.

They’ve already tried the therapy thing you know. It doesn’t work. With homosexuality for example, at best you get gay men repress their behavior, marry women, but then need to fantasize about men to perform. If the person is born thinking their gender doesn’t match their sex because that’s a hard wired brain function, then therapy doesn’t effect that either.

Some things are simply hardwired. Teenagers don’t need to be told which sex is sexy and there is starting to be pretty good proof that gender identity is also hardwired in most individuals.

Brain may hardwire sexuality before birth

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Surprised they decided to reopen this thread, so I’ll bite.

First, the NPC is irrelevant to both gameplay AND storyline, so this thread belongs in a General Discussion subforum, especially considering the messed up state of the game at the moment.

Second, it begs the question, because the NPC is irrevelevant to both gameplay and and storyline, who approved putting them in the game, and what were their intentions?

Third, as in my previous post, I don’t care about the NPC (since they don’t do anything) and also don’t see the point of it since the vast, vast majority of players will never encounter it in normal gameplay, nor have any useful reason to know of its existence.

Last, Anet needs to stop doing crap that splits this community in half. The last few weeks have been straight up embarrassing for the company.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Testudo.4620

“social change”
So, you admit it’s a social agenda, and not a real issue? If society says it’s normal, then doctors need to swallow their knowledge and research and go with the flow?
Human anatomy and physiology didn’t change for thousands of years.

social change as in ending transphobia, not whatever words you put in my mouth

Zhaife

Posted by: Regenas.6845

Regenas.6845

I am probably alot younger than most posters in this thread but here is my take on this “issue” like some people call it. Personally i see it as a nice gesture from Arena Net. An NPC that made one of the biggest decisions in her life is really appreciated imo and shows that you can be whoever you want.
Thats my take on it from a heterosexual males perspective.

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

As a trans person myself a huge yay and thank you to ArenaNet!

Many.8419

When I was a kid I was full of high hopes for the world, I was told that people are good and even. I grew up and I could experience this “quality” of a real world. It’s not even, it’s not good and definately it’s not the utopia modern societies are trying to tell themselves it is. People are cruel and only strongest can survive. Problem is pretending that taking care of lowest denominator helps. It doesn’t.

And thank you to one of the posters pointing out that all those equality talk is just a society issue. Today they are all about equality, tomorrow it’s going to be something else. So today LGBTs are friends of society, it’s nice to support them and look like people care. When generations change, there will be some new ways of making yourself popular and “progressive”.

Societies not suffering from real world problems like wars or collapsing economy are creating virtual problems and virtual solutions. To pretend there is anything important in their lives.