Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

forums pls
why you so buggy?

Taimi should have been a boy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Rytlock spends so much time with this “Destiny’s Edge 2” that he could easily be considered a member thereof. I can’t say I’m bothered by failure to reach this Minimum Maleness Quota though… and it seems to me that Canach, Braham and Rytlock aren’t bothered either. Nor are Marjory, Kasmeer, Taimi or Rox. And Frostbite doesn’t even understand the question.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

See this here? Stop it. You are not acting like the person Mr. Rogers knew you could be.

I do not understand what’s wrong with someone understanding a fact of life that many people have gotten used to for years? There was nothing malicious about that statement at all. o.o

When the hell was Guild Wars ever a medium for gender imbalance and not, you know, a pretty cool game series? It’s not much deeper than that.

Even the OP was just looking to figure out some pattern to the members with regards to Destiny’s Edge and DE2.0.

Quit trying to make everything a sociopolitical issue.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

Wow I’m super impressed with this community’s ability to discuss this maturely.

And I’d count Canach more of a member of de2.0 than traeherne.

And and I’d say no to the op. Like really really no. In fact their reaction to the gender imbalance is the best response one could ask for, since now they understand what it’s like to experience 99% of the medium as a woman. Where all your representations are token , barely effective, and in most/the worst cases not meant to even pander to you. Hell I’d say y’all cashed out with Braham and freaking Canach! They’re at least complex characters!

Yay art!

Not to be snide (I agree with you on representation) but FINALLY!

It’s about time guys got characters who are more then one-dimensional “tough” characters! Hell, Canach gets to have cool weapons and fight with more complexity then just punching things!!!

Seriously. This is a good thing for everyone.

(edited by Finalfreefall.8247)

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Thoughts lol?

A classic case of over-thinking something relatively trivial.

You say it doesn’t bother you, yet you went to the effort of analysing the group content so clearly it DOES bother you.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

See this here? Stop it. You are not acting like the person Mr. Rogers knew you could be.

I do not understand what’s wrong with someone understanding a fact of life that many people have gotten used to for years? There was nothing malicious about that statement at all. o.o

When the hell was Guild Wars ever a medium for gender imbalance and not, you know, a pretty cool game series? It’s not much deeper than that.

Even the OP was just looking to figure out some pattern to the members with regards to Destiny’s Edge and DE2.0.

I hate to break this to you then, but when ANet went out of their way to make 2 of the new main NPC characters lesbians in love with each other and added a NPC with a disability as well as going out of their way to make strong female chars instead of the usual generic set of male chars and maybe the token female, they had their eyes on current sociopolitical issues.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

CETheLucid.3964

I hate to break this to you then, but when ANet went out of their way to make 2 of the new main NPC characters lesbians in love with each other and added a NPC with a disability as well as going out of their way to make strong female chars instead of the usual generic set of male chars and maybe the token female, they had their eyes on current sociopolitical issues.

I dunno. I have an inkling that lesbians, strong females, and people with disabilities existed before Guild Wars 2 was a thing.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I dunno. I have an inkling that lesbians, strong females, and people with disabilities existed before Guild Wars 2 was a thing.

Yes they existed, of course, but they weren’t usually portrayed in games and certainly not as main NPC heroes. The usual NPCs were the male heroes, with the maybe token female. When ANet made this group of NPCs, they didn’t choose lesbians, females as strong individuals and someone with a disability by sheer random chance. It was deliberate and with an intended sociopolitical message.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

Thoughts lol?

Interesting analysis and good to see they tried to balance things. I don’t think things need to be perfectly balanced but given the healthy push to have good female role models and paths in STEM, probably a good call to have Taimi be female.

Of course, she is a bit pig headed at times but part of role equality is to show faults as well as a strengths.

CETheLucid.3964

Yes they existed, of course, but they weren’t usually portrayed in games and certainly not as main NPC heroes. The usual NPCs were the male heroes, with the maybe token female. When ANet made this group of NPCs, they didn’t choose lesbians, females as strong individuals and someone with a disability by sheer random chance. It was deliberate and with an intended sociopolitical message.

OK.

Just a flesh wound.3589

OK.

This thread might interest you. 16 pages of discussing a lesbian relationship in the game.

Another Lesbian relationship?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

The Guild Wars franchise actually has a decent history of having strong female characters in their group. Guild Wars 1 wasn’t exactly an all male cast unless you specifically chose to make it that way by not bringing any girls.

Cynn, Lidia, Jora, Gwen, and Nika all come to mind.

It’s not a surprise at all to me that Anet would continue to focus on having a strong female presence in the center of their story. And I like it that way.

CETheLucid.3964

OK.

This thread might interest you. 16 pages of discussing a lesbian relationship in the game.

Attachments:

Just a flesh wound.3589

OK.

By having these NPCs in game it sparked discussion about gays and on whether or not the game should portray gay relationships. In other words, sociopolitical discussions.

They also have a transgender NPC in LA, which also generated a thread about whether or not this was something that should be in game. Another sociopolitical discussion because of deliberate NPC choices by ANet.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

IMO, things are fine the way they are. There are too many games where there are all male main characters and one female toss in to appease female players in terms of “balance.” Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, TF2, etc are great example of these games. I don’t believe there is a single female playable character in Killing Floor 1 but I could be wrong.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The Guild Wars franchise actually has a decent history of having strong female characters in their group. Guild Wars 1 wasn’t exactly an all male cast unless you specifically chose to make it that way by not bringing any girls.

Cynn, Lidia, Jora, Gwen, and Nika all come to mind.

It’s not a surprise at all to me that Anet would continue to focus on having a strong female presence in the center of their story. And I like it that way.

Agreed, add Miku to that list lol.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i don’t mind at all, though a majority of female reflects guild wars 2 community which have a majority of female character. i mean it has to be that way since both men and women are mostly playing female characters

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

This is “flavor of the month” storytelling. Just look at entertainment in the last 10 to 15 years. There has been an emphasis on creating stories portraying women as strong and powerful. Movies and tv showsthat don’t follow this trend get heavily criticized( the recent Jurassic Park film was heavily criticized because the lead female character was “subservient”)

Recently you have Hunger Games(which I liked), the newest Mad Max where the women did most of the butt-kicking, and Star Wars replaced male hero with female hero.

Lots of tv shows must now have homosexuality portrayed in a positive light. Even Star Wars is going to go this route.

There really isn’t any surprise that Anet would go this route. It’s a formula that seems to be required in today’s entertainment.

Lots of entertainment of this era seems to be more about how many checks they can make on the sjw-pc quota list rather than telling a good story.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I just think the group could do with an extra male. Like I said if you ran through the LS2 more than once (as I have on a lot of alts). You start to notice just how much the female population out numbers the male.

But if it were the opposite, with males outnumbering females (as it is often the case) it would be perfectly fine?

There really isn’t any surprise that Anet would go this route. It’s a formula that seems to be required in today’s entertainment.

They were always ahead of that wave, you know.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Lots of entertainment of this era seems to be more about how many checks they can make on the sjw-pc quota list rather than telling a good story.

Didn’t you now? To make good entertainment you have to challenge sociopolitical norms. That’s why everyone does it; to not be the norm. ;D.

That aside, as far as this thread is concerned, I’m one of those guys who wants to have one of everything. My toon list is currently 2 humans m/f, 2 norn m/f, 2 sylvari m/f, and the oddball 1 asura f. I have to keep everything balanced because otherwise it bothers me. Even to this day, the fact that I haven’t come up with an asura m irritates me (no classes left I want to play).

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

Wow I’m super impressed with this community’s ability to discuss this maturely.

And I’d count Canach more of a member of de2.0 than traeherne.

And and I’d say no to the op. Like really really no. In fact their reaction to the gender imbalance is the best response one could ask for, since now they understand what it’s like to experience 99% of the medium as a woman. Where all your representations are token , barely effective, and in most/the worst cases not meant to even pander to you. Hell I’d say y’all cashed out with Braham and freaking Canach! They’re at least complex characters!

Yay art!

While i do think the op’s request is a little silly.

there is no need for you and your social justice warrior brethren to take up your pitchforks, lol. just lol.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: Uden Reavstone.3426

Uden Reavstone.3426

I’m sorry but this is really bugging me. His name is Snaff, not Zaff, OP.

“Blue team for life.”
“They can’t see me. I can’t see them.”
Michael J. Caboose ~ RvB

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

This is completely a nonissue. How about we rejoice that we got a bunch of interesting, well developed characters, instead of hand wringing over what genitalia they have.

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

No. Taimi is adorable as she is. So smol and cute, and just look at that hair!

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Thoughts lol?

A classic case of over-thinking something relatively trivial.

You say it doesn’t bother you, yet you went to the effort of analysing the group content so clearly it DOES bother you.

Umm, I have 11 chars and had just done the LS2 on my 7th one. Do you really believe after doing this content so many times that someone would not see such a pattern if they are observant at least some of the time?

I brought this here few a few reasons.

1 – To see if other people had noticed it.
2 – To see if it was done this way on purpose by Anet and if so why (the gender swap not the Taimi part)?
3 – And 3 finally the Taimi part and why she didn’t get the same treatment as everyone else?

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Paulytnz.7619

I just think the group could do with an extra male. Like I said if you ran through the LS2 more than once (as I have on a lot of alts). You start to notice just how much the female population out numbers the male.

But if it were the opposite, with males outnumbering females (as it is often the case) it would be perfectly fine?

They were always ahead of that wave, you know.

Certainly not. It if was reversed and too many males I would also make that something to discuss. Like I said about movies, when you have say a war movie for example when all the cast are males that too can get very boring. But in those cases obviously if they are dealing with things of that nature based on history you come to expect it. Yet they can always do flashbacks or story telling out side of the war side of it where they can add in female chars as well.

Let’s make this clear, it’s not a male vs female thing here. It’s a hey I see what you did there anet, that’s clever but maybe just slightly off?. Yet as I have conceded in another reply, Taimi’s Char could actually be mirroring off Snaff since he was the legit member and not Zojia. I have not read the books so tbh I was only basing my theory off what the game has given us.

I think this post has gone off topic and not where intended. Some of you people seem to be making this personal or based on your own personal experiences. In which case I would say that sucks these things are like that. But again I think it’s still more a culture thing and just remember not EVERYONE here is from the USA or has all the problems that you do.

Mods, please feel free to close this thread since it has gone far off topic.

Paulytnz.7619

I’m sorry but this is really bugging me. His name is Snaff, not Zaff, OP.

Lmao, so sorry I knew it was but was typing so much at the time with a lot of thoughts in my head that the basics may have been overlooked, will def fix that now!

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Paulytnz, this has nothing to do with culture or country. its just you nitpicking over something that is literally a nonissue. nobody cares about gender until you MAKE it about gender. theyre amazing characters, with great backstory, personality, dialogue. WHY are you deliberately finding something to complain about, when theres literally nothing?

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I’m from NZ as well, it’s not a cultural thing and certainty not because we apparently “don’t have it as bad”.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Taimi is great as she is.
About the “ratio”: Really?.
Watch most movies, read most books, play most games. You’ll find the “ratio” in the vast majority (specially in the fantasy genre) of them is at least 3 males for every female. Now you have two options:
- Consider the Destiny’s Newcomers “ratio” as a response to that “imbalance”, and therefore right.
- Consider “ratios” as something really unimportant, and therefore stop being worried abut it.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Craft the appropriate body parts and hammer them on to Scuffy and call him male if this is bothering you enough.

I had thought of Scruffy but you know, he did die there in the end but we will probably get to see this awesome new machine that Taimi was going on about. Besides that I didn’t bring him into the conversation because he is not really a person. And further to that if we were to include him then we would have to include Rox’s Pet and who knows what gender that is lol…

None of them are actually people nor are they actually male or female. They’re all only pixels and their gender is only an assigned appearance.

I guess you must play with the sound or voices off……..immersion man, immersion!

They don’t actually speak either. Real people, whose voices match the pixels assigned gender, speak their lines for them.

Wow you just take all the fun right out of games don’t you lol? Why exactly do you play may I ask?

Maybe it’s because your thread hit a nerve.

Maybe you’re only joking but the underlying thought behind what you’re saying is sexist and is something men have said, and still say to this day, to exclude women from jobs. Too many women, let’s hire some men. Disk jockeys on radio station have reported that if they play more than a few female singers in a time period, there have been men that call and demand more male singers.

If you don’t believe it’s sexist, try this thought experiment. Let’s say this group of NPCs are a mix of black and white and someone jokingly makes a post on the forum saying, there are too many blacks in this group. Can’t we switch one of them to white?

So, you’re undoubtably joking but too many women is something I’ve heard too many times in real life to find particularly amusing.

So in your thought experiment, if the roles were reversed and someone stated that there were too many white people, would that person be a racist or oppressed minority seeking representation?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Craft the appropriate body parts and hammer them on to Scuffy and call him male if this is bothering you enough.

I had thought of Scruffy but you know, he did die there in the end but we will probably get to see this awesome new machine that Taimi was going on about. Besides that I didn’t bring him into the conversation because he is not really a person. And further to that if we were to include him then we would have to include Rox’s Pet and who knows what gender that is lol…

None of them are actually people nor are they actually male or female. They’re all only pixels and their gender is only an assigned appearance.

I guess you must play with the sound or voices off……..immersion man, immersion!

They don’t actually speak either. Real people, whose voices match the pixels assigned gender, speak their lines for them.

Wow you just take all the fun right out of games don’t you lol? Why exactly do you play may I ask?

Maybe it’s because your thread hit a nerve.

Maybe you’re only joking but the underlying thought behind what you’re saying is sexist and is something men have said, and still say to this day, to exclude women from jobs. Too many women, let’s hire some men. Disk jockeys on radio station have reported that if they play more than a few female singers in a time period, there have been men that call and demand more male singers.

If you don’t believe it’s sexist, try this thought experiment. Let’s say this group of NPCs are a mix of black and white and someone jokingly makes a post on the forum saying, there are too many blacks in this group. Can’t we switch one of them to white?

So, you’re undoubtably joking but too many women is something I’ve heard too many times in real life to find particularly amusing.

So in your thought experiment, if the roles were reversed and someone stated that there were too many white people, would that person be a racist or oppressed minority seeking representation?

Racist.

It’s always racist when you rate people by their skin color and count the number of people by that designation alone.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

The fact that this thread even exists is why i have no faith in future generations.