Talk about elitism

Talk about elitism

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

People still complain about half-baked Komali and I have never been in a guild party that has failed it before. And my new guild has gotten Komali 3 times consecutively in a row. Which indicates the challenge bar is set up correctly.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Barbelo.5916

Barbelo.5916

If you don’t like speed runs why would you join one then come here to complain? You messed up the 3 main things a mesmer is in the run to do. A Mesmer’s job in CoF 1 is about as demanding as GW2 can get. Elitism =/= looking to play with like minded players, and you obviously don’t have the mentality that someone that could have learned the mesmer roll purely by observation on other classes. would. It’s not elitism just a mentality to play competitively and seek others to play with like that. It’s not their responsibility to teach you either, although it would have been nice if they did. A mesmer in CoF speed that isn’t doing their job is incredibly easy to notice so it’s a very vulnerable spot to be in if you are underprepared to be honest.

While over the top elitism is on one side of the spectrum there is also people that care so little and invest so little time that they become a burden and frustrating experience and can make playing the game much less enjoyable. GW2’s challenge bar is so low that even the most casual with the slightest bit of will power could bridge this gap.

To be absolutely blunt doing a few runs of CoF on any class would reveal almost all of the mesmer tricks purely by observing. I think the problem is your definition of your own experience and not that some people were looking to play with other like minded people, and wern’t trying to set up a mesmer classroom for you to learn.

You don’t even need 4 warriors but you do need a Mesmer mostly because from my experience you’re lucky if 1/5 people can do ball gauntlet without many attempts.

You’re right, they didn’t set up those speed runs to educate mesmers and we’re not as fast as you are at picking up little things by observing. I’m used to being asked to ping gear and when party leaders ask me how experienced I am I say I’ve done this dungeon path at least 30 times before because I have. But I didn’t expect to encounter those kinds of people in COF as I haven’t even encountered that kind of extreme elitism and rudeness in fotm 40+ parties.

IOJ [TRBO]

Talk about elitism

Posted by: ZenonSeth.5739

ZenonSeth.5739

[snip]
I understand your point, but if the other dungeon paths are somewhat harder to farm, then this one should be more or less on the same scale. In short, all Dungeon paths should be somewhat appealing in some way-CoF path 1 shouldn’t be the preferred way to make money in-game just because it’s being exploited as the easiest. Yes, I wouldn’t like non-speed runners to be hit as well, but surely they can come up with alternate solutions so that CoF path 1 is not seen as that one option to make money (I know it necessarily isn’t, but to many players, it is.)

Alternatively, make other Dungeon paths easier, but I don’t think making Dungeons a cakewalk experience would be the way to go.

That makes sense in some way – path 1 shouldn’t be an extremely easy runthrough, while the others are much harder.

Though, think about this: No matter what you do, no two dungeon paths can have the same difficulty. It’s just impossible. Once you accept that, it’s simple and inevitable logic that there will always be one path that’s easier than the other paths, no matter what you do. People will swarm that path for farming.

This thread is about Elitism – and to be honest, I couldn’t give a rat’s kitten about people who demand gear pinging and kick for “being inefficient”. I don’t care if they do a run in 9 minutes, even if my runs with a team can take 10-15min. It’s just their playstyle and their decision on what they want to do – it really doesn’t bother me they run faster – and in overall terms I don’t think it hurts the economy at all.

Funny thing though – I bet not a lot of people running CoF1 have put effort into running p2 or p3 (admittedly, I did p2 once, didn’t exactly ‘appeal’ to running, but the end boss was a joke). The reason I say that is because I often see people just doing what someone else has already done, without trying to necessarily improve it.

For example, a karka shell route that a lot of people use is really not that efficient in my opinion. They miss out on 3-4 karkas that could be gotten with only slight change to the route – but no one does that because they just follow what other people have done blindly, thinking that its somehow the best.

Are ye laughin’ yet?

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Something to keep in mind when summing up reasons why people wish to safe 3 minutes per run, and why it is their time and therefore their choice:

None of that gives them any excuse for being jerks. Yes, it is entirely your coice what you do with your time, and you don’t have to run with people who can’t do every finger movement inside COF p1 in their sleep. However, if you wish to avoid people ‘beneath your level’, you should state your expectations very clearly when looking for a group. And state reasons when kicking party members.

Seriously people, respect and human decency – if you value those 3 minutes that much higher, you shouldn’t be playing multiplayer games with strangers. It is not like your life depends on getting that legendary weapon a couple of days earlier…

Polka will never die

Talk about elitism

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Anet must nerf COF p1.

Talk about elitism

Barbelo.5916

However, if you wish to avoid people ‘beneath your level’, you should state your expectations very clearly when looking for a group. And state reasons when kicking party members.

Completely agree. If the party starter had said, “LF highly efficient mesmer that let party finish in under 10min” I definitely would have stayed away.

IOJ [TRBO]

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

PvE is serious kitten. If you don’t play zerk gs warrior, you’re bad.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

Only one of them was kind enough to reply and tell me what I should have done. He said I “didn’t pull the slave driver into the wall and didn’t time-warp fast enough”. Also I cast feedback late at the turrets

sounds less like elitism and more like 4 warriors can’t handle a dungeon and unless its perfect there bot functions risk being revealed.

#ELEtism

(edited by Chaotic Storm.2815)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

This kind of elitism is a problem in all MMO’s, but I experience it far less in GW2 than other games. Because of game design choices in GW2, playing with others cooperatively is generally a positive experience. I’m thinking of things things like non competitive quests and resource nodes, mostly open world PvE design. Dungeons always bring out the best and worst in people. In situations like this I’m always reminded of the Gary Larson cartoon that shows God at the moment of creation beginning to pour something into the creation mix from a jar labelled ‘Jerks’. The caption reads: “This should spice things up”.

Just as in life people sometimes forget it’s more about the people involved than the object of interest.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Just sharing an experience I had. I have 3 level 80 toons, 2 of them are at FOTM scale 39+. I’ve also earned the Dungeon Master title and do daily random dungeon runs mostly with my guild but sometimes with a pug party. I’d like to think I’m not an elitist MOST of the time and in all my daily runs I’ve only ever initiated a kick once and it was not due to gear issues or “noob” behavior but simply because the player went afk at a crucial time (at the arm seals in a 30+ fractal) without any logical explanation.

So today I went with my fairly new but fully zerk-geared mesmer to my first COF p1 speed run with a pug group. I’ve done COF p1 countless times before, most of them with my guildmates. And yesterday I joined a “casual” speed farming pug group with my mesmer (had 1 ele and later 1 guard, not full zerk) that did well (did 1 run in an average of 15min). But the group I joined today was one of those elitist groups that wanted 4 zerk warriors and 1 zerk mesmer and demanded that we ping our gears. We finished 1 run in about 10min. I THOUGHT I did everything right including blink-porting them through the boulders (on my first try). Then after the run I got kicked. I asked two of them why. Only one of them was kind enough to reply and tell me what I should have done. He said I “didn’t pull the slave driver into the wall and didn’t time-warp fast enough”. Also I cast feedback late at the turrets (apparently they didn’t notice I cast Phantasmal warden before casting feedback). Other than that I did everything right, he said.

I am astonished at the level of elitism in the GW2 community now. And especially because from what I was told I only made minor errors that I could have easily changed. I’ve tolerated much worse mistakes from other players without raging or kicking. Wouldn’t it have been easier to tell me what I did wrong than risk getting a less experienced mesmer on the next run? Or is it really just easier to initiate a kick?

Look for this to get far worse as they add more to the leaderboards.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

All the conspiracy theories here against speed runs are interesting.

People that enjoy playing competitively.
1. Arn’t playing the game how it was meant to be played.
2. Are botting.
3. Have to be warriors.
4. Having the initiative to learn how to improve your skill in a game is a problem in all MMOs
5. One evening of doing a dungeon without paying attention counts as “experienced”
6. Being asked to have a type of gear that takes 2 evenings of casual playing is bad.
7. Every character can only have one armor set and you should only equip that one and never change it around.
8. Players that attempt to learn and improve their play to max efficiency do so because they are bad at the game and the more they learn the worse they get
9. Nothing in the game is required in any run except maybe hitting auto attack so you shouldn’t be expected to do anything more then swing your weapon

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

Talk about elitism

Aeonblade.8709

All the conspiracy theories here against speed runs are interesting.

People that enjoy playing competitively.
1. Arn’t playing the game how it was meant to be played.
2. Are botting.
3. Have to be warriors.
4. Having the initiative to learn how to improve your skill in a game is a problem in all MMOs
5. One evening of doing a dungeon without paying attention counts as “experienced”
6. Being asked to have a type of gear that takes 2 evenings of casual playing is bad.
7. Every character can only have one armor set and you should only equip that one and never change it around.
8. Players that attempt to learn and improve their play to max efficiency do so because they are bad at the game and the more they learn the worse they get
9. Nothing in the game is required in any run except maybe hitting auto attack so you shouldn’t be expected to do anything more then swing your weapon

This guy doesn’t get it. But that is okay, not everyone will.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

It is getting bad when I a geared Zerker Warrior get kicked from COF1 Because I did not ping my gear fast enough for a group that had no ping gear requirment on GW2LFG.

By not fast enough I mean 1-3 seconds. to slow for these kittens. This is the quickest way to kill an MMO, the players themselves. They have done it to countless other MMOS.

Talk about elitism

Aeonblade.8709

It is getting bad when I a geared Zerker Warrior get kicked from COF1 Because I did not ping my gear fast enough for a group that had no ping gear requirment on GW2LFG.

By not fast enough I mean 1-3 seconds. to slow for these kittens. This is the quickest way to kill an MMO, the players themselves. They have done it to countless other MMOS.

I have been calling these players the Locusts for years, it seems applicable.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Let me get this straight. The OP’s mistake was:
1. Didnt pull slave driver into the wall.
2. Didnt time warp fast enough.
3. Didn’t cast feedback fast enough.

And for that you get kicked? OMG I am so thankful for being in my guild then. I’d have been kicked a hundred times over by such people. I ran several CoF p1 farms recently. We never really did #1, is it really THAT necessary? As for the other 2 points, well, I get that some people want to do fast runs and all but I feel like that just crosses the line. It’s not like the OP didn’t do it at all.

The person that told me all this said we would have saved “about 20 secs” had I done everything perfectly.

I find it really funny that they kick the only person playing the class that actually takes some skill in these CoF1 speed runs. Kitten them. Anyone raging for a mere 20s is totally obsessed and should be avoided at all costs.

Off topic but i don’t think I have ever played a game with dungeons so easy to exploit, except maybe Aion lol. They really need to add mechanics that actually make you complete the dungeon and require real skill to finish.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Learn from it and move on.

Talk about elitism

Aeonblade.8709

Learn from it and move on.

Agreed, learn from it and just group with guildies/friends, because the average pug on GW2 is an elitist who thinks he’s hardcore but is actually dumb as a rock. That’s pretty much what this thread has taught me, don’t bother trying to find a CoF group.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Khairos.3890

Khairos.3890

Greetings!

I run CoF P1 speed farms on a Zerker warrior. But I’m a nice guy, really. I can understand why there’s so much disdain towards people like me that do these runs.

The requirement to getting into one of these runs is high for the casual player – full exotic Berserker gear, must be a Warrior or Mesmer, and must know how to properly run it. Why is this way? To maximize the time for clearing. When you make a time investment for many speed runs and a money investment in full Zerks or leveling a Warrior/Mes, you want to get the most out of it.

CoF P1 runs still don’t net you a crazy amount of money- with the right stuff, you make about 1g per 2 runs. therefore, clearing it in the fastest way possible is key.

As for the behavior of CoF p1 farmers and their “elitism.” Well, I can’t speak for all of them, but I assure you, I’ve been in many groups, met many people, and many of them are down to earth, good people, although the ads (Y’know, "FULL ZERKS PING OR GTFO) imply otherwise.

There’s not much I can say or do to prevent people from creating these hate posts. The only advice I can give is to simply ignore these GW2LFG ads and do not join these speedrun groups. These players are human beings, and they choose to do what they do. If you don’t like what they’re doing, that’s okay. You have that right. Just please don’t feed the flames and turn the conversation to a flame war.

Helia – Stormbluff Isle – [MORD]

Talk about elitism

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Maybe GW2LFG should introduce a speedrun section?

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Greetings!

I run CoF P1 speed farms on a Zerker warrior. But I’m a nice guy, really. I can understand why there’s so much disdain towards people like me that do these runs.

The requirement to getting into one of these runs is high for the casual player – full exotic Berserker gear, must be a Warrior or Mesmer, and must know how to properly run it. Why is this way? To maximize the time for clearing. When you make a time investment for many speed runs and a money investment in full Zerks or leveling a Warrior/Mes, you want to get the most out of it.

The casual player is great at doing CoF 1 since it doesn’t require any “hardcore-ness”. It’s that easy. Also, it’s cheap and easy to get full Berserker’s gear, except for perhaps the backpiece (which can easily be green-rare, it wouldn’t matter, though who knows, some elitist may think otherwise.) I do feel for you for having created a Warrior and having JUST to level CoF 1, because it’s bound to be nerfed as “that” one source of income in the game. Enjoy it while you can, but the game is also fun in other areas, and it’s profitable to make gold in other more fun ways (IMO, of course-you may consider CoF 1 farming for 3 hours fun, and it’s your right.) Do not mistake casual players for newbies, though… there are many old casual players that outplay new players that are just copying an easy way to get money.

I believe that you are nice, since I know a friend of mine that is a decent person and asked me to have full Berserker’s gear so I could go farm with him, and not have his friends “kick me.” :P I can afford the gear, (compare getting full Berserker’s vs getting all Rabid’s for a Mesmer… yeah, no competition cost-wise, as Ruby orbs are so cheap and Berserker’s stats so readily available.) I just won’t do it for its own sake, and won’t hang out with people who kick others with the “wrong gear/profession”, because they “encumber” them down.

I do agree, just avoid them like the plague if you don’t have the same mindset.

As for you, at least you seem not to not mistreat others because they refuse to do the same thing as everybody else does. Some of us just don’t believe in CoF 1 farming being any sort of badge of Honor nor skill, and it is really ridiculous when others are berated needlessly because they are not “leet”/“good”/“fast enough” for them, as in the OP’s case (thanks for not doing this yourself.)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

Don’t join zerker groups, you may waste additional few minutes with random group, but they really aren’t relevant in the bigger picture.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

CoF may be nerfed quite soon… but crit builds will still be a thing at least until they can sort out condi.. so probably for the life of the game.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

“Fun? Is that how it’s pronounced? I’ve only ever seen it written.”

- Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

I have 5 80s. I’ve done speed runs on 3 of them. One of which is my mesmer. I’ve done runs with 4 warriors before, but not because I tried. I simply put up a post and what I got, I got.

With that said: I will not EVER link my gear to a group. If they ask me to ‘ping’ my gear I will simply leave. I’ve never joined a group that asked me to do it and I’ve never been asked to join one either. I can get a nice casual group instead and actually have FUN while playing. So it might take me 1-2 minutes longer to finish the dungeon. I really don’t care.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have 5 80s. I’ve done speed runs on 3 of them. One of which is my mesmer. I’ve done runs with 4 warriors before, but not because I tried. I simply put up a post and what I got, I got.

With that said: I will not EVER link my gear to a group. If they ask me to ‘ping’ my gear I will simply leave. I’ve never joined a group that asked me to do it and I’ve never been asked to join one either. I can get a nice casual group instead and actually have FUN while playing. So it might take me 1-2 minutes longer to finish the dungeon. I really don’t care.

Actually, I think everyone should ping their gear before they post on this thread. If you don’t have the right gear, how can your opinion possibly matter? lol

Talk about elitism

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

You’re right, they didn’t set up those speed runs to educate mesmers and we’re not as fast as you are at picking up little things by observing. I’m used to being asked to ping gear and when party leaders ask me how experienced I am I say I’ve done this dungeon path at least 30 times before because I have. But I didn’t expect to encounter those kinds of people in COF as I haven’t even encountered that kind of extreme elitism and rudeness in fotm 40+ parties.

I don’t think you get it. Let me try to explain.

In a good group I can do speed run in 6 minutes. In your case your group did in 10 minutes.

Now let’s make some assumption. Let’s presume every cof speed run net 90 silver. So in 10 hours my group can make 90 gold. But in your group I can only make 54 gold.

As far as I can tell, there is a big difference between 90 gold and 54. Do you start to get it now?

Talk about elitism

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

Someone mistaking the term elitism here.

Your case has absolutely nothing to do with elitism. A group leader wanted to do speed farm CoF p1. The other group members joined thinking to do the same. While you may think 10 minutes is a decent time record, even pug groups can manage 7 minute runs with ping-gear-checked zerker warriors/mesmer that all know what they are doing. And pulling the Slave Driver is pretty much the basic of basics as the mesmer’s role in CoF p1 farming. While you may stick around for only a couple of runs, a lot of those groups farm p1 for HOURS, and a 3 minute difference per run is huge. So if the group leader’s not happy with your job, you should know you had every right to start your own group to enforce your own standards on speed farming.

He didn’t kick you because you weren’t as good as him (“I can do better than you, gtfo”), he kicked you because he thought you were the reason the group was not up to whatever standard he expected (“I can save time with a better mesmer”). This kind of reasoning has nothing to do with elitism.

Yes except instead of the party leader telling him, “Hey buddy, just do this and that on the next run, and we’ll be golden.”, he simply kicked him out of the group. One sentence was all that was needed to fix the run for the next round, but instead the guy kicked him. That action right there screams “elitism”. “You’re not worthy of our party /kick. Instead of telling you what I want you to do, I will kick you out and make you feel ineffective, insignificant and inefficient.” That right there is elitist and rude.

Talk about elitism

Vayne.8563

In a good group I can do speed run in 6 minutes. In your case your group did in 10 minutes.

Now let’s make some assumption. Let’s presume every cof speed run net 90 silver. So in 10 hours my group can make 90 gold. But in your group I can only make 54 gold.

As far as I can tell, there is a big difference between 90 gold and 54. Do you start to get it now?

As opposed to stopping for 30 seconds to explain to a person how they can be better, afterwhich you don’t have to spend 30 seconds looking for a replacement. Plus you build the future of speed runners, by encouraging people, instead of being an elitist kitten.

How much more gold would they have lost if they took that tiny amount of time to educate?

Talk about elitism

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

As opposed to stopping for 30 seconds to explain to a person how they can be better, afterwhich you don’t have to spend 30 seconds looking for a replacement. Plus you build the future of speed runners, by encouraging people, instead of being an elitist kitten.

How much more gold would they have lost if they took that tiny amount of time to educate?

That’s the thing, it is not hard to find a replacement. I dont’ know how many times I got kicked just because “their friend is online”. I sometimes “politely” kick people because my friend want to get in group.

Quite honestly the OP probably got kicked because they already got a replacement.

Talk about elitism

Khal Drogo.9631

Err I dont do pushback on to wall and feedback on turret (heres the kicker: my armor is knights with a combo of berzerker / cavalier accesories as a phantasm build) but my speed run clears are consistently 6 1/2 minutes with good 4 warrior pugs who never asked for MY gear ping (warrior gear may be understandable though).

And you know something about some mesmers; they are so conditioned to do pushback even though they are in parties with 0 warriors and 2 thieves.

It has something to do with you must play the way some kittens play.

(Hint: I use signet of inspiration + battle roar; no nerfs pls).

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Actually, I think everyone should ping their gear before they post on this thread. If you don’t have the right gear, how can your opinion possibly matter? lol

That’s a great idea.
You go first.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

when I started learning CoF 1 speedruns with my mesmer I did quite a few of the mistakes you mentioned as well and now I wonder why they didn’t kick me, my first run was abysmal (I think it took us about 12 minutes). I didn’t pull the doorguards, didn’t time feedback correctly on towers (warden doesn’t work quite so well because the aoes often land just next to him), didn’t pull slave driver etc.. if I had been kicked, I would’ve thought: hey, I did something wrong, better check what to improve (did this anyway), instead of going on the forums whining that I can’t play badly in a group without getting kicked.

if you join a speedrunning group with specific requirements you shouldn’t be surprised to be kicked if you join and play badly by not knowing when to do what. it only takes a few runs and maybe watching a few videos to know all the absolute obligations a mesmer has, as well as a few of the ‘nice to have’ stuff you can provide.

if you can’t play on the same level of the 4 other guys, why do you think they should keep you in the group? carrying a bad player was never fun. this has nothing to do with elitism but with you thinking you’re better than you are and joining a group you don’t belong in yet. it’s the only way to learn, but you have to expect to be kicked a few times until you get your skills up to a ‘usable’ level.

also, these forums are rather helpful if instead of whining you just ask: hey, I’m new to speedrunning CoF1, what should I do as a mesmer? I hijacked one thread and got so many useful tips (and a few build discussions).. now I never get kicked and some people actually take the time to whisper how they like my playstyle. for me that’s pretty nice, meaning I did my job well enough for them to recognize an improvement over other mesmers they grouped with in the past. also, for me, this is a lot more rewarding than going to the forums complaining about elitism.

but I do agree that people should be more willing to say a few words to improve each others gameplay (I often have to remind warris to use fGJ at the start of slavedriver so SoI works better) instead of blindly kicking. it’s just, when you see someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing at all, it takes at least 10 minutes overall to fully explain each sequence in detail (explain someone when to use feedback on effigy, how the animation looks etc).. this is a lot more than a few seconds for a quick reminder.

Talk about elitism

Khal Drogo.9631

Obvious example of an ‘elite’ responding. It’s never their fault, it’s always something someone else should of done. Btw, the op was not a novice if you took the time to read his post you would have realised that.

Some of the “steps” mentioned aren’t necessary like pullback of slave driver onto wall (in fact may even be longer because everyone has to walk those few steps further). What I do is illusionary leap, immobilze the guy, everyone stack, Cast Tw, phantasmal warden + 4 H/Bs, blurred frenzy + a few 4 auto attacks and slave driver dead. Most of the times I dont even have time to cast Signet of Inspiration.

Provided the warriors slam all the offensive banners into ground 1st and readied their FGJ.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

It’s sad when people value their time like the people the OP mentioned. If they cant except losing a few extra seconds or even minutes of their day, maybe they should find another recreational activity, thats actually worth something in the long run.

And in all honesty, I dont think the OP was the problem in the group, he missed the mark on his TW maybe, but that wouldnt shave 3-4mins of the run.

After reading the OP I cant help but thinking of the “Closet Colonel” Battlefield Friends episode and the kitten bucket noises heard over the VoIP.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

I would make it a point to tell people that you are black when you join a party, so if they kick you for something stupid, you can report them for racism.

Talk about elitism

Barbelo.5916

Oh yeah, I get it. It’s all about efficiency. Like I said, they should have stated in their post they wanted a highly efficient mesmer that can let the party finish in under 10min, not the vague “EXPERIENCED ZERK MESMER. PING GEAR PLEASE.” Failed to mention this happened to me twice. The first 4-warrior group kicked me without letting me finish the run. I’d thought it was because their friend had suddenly come online. Of course the second time it happened with another 4warrior group I realized they were dissatisfied with my performance. Until that experience I hadn’t known there were players like these in GW2 and in the easiest dungeon path in the game of all places. The thing is, if they’d been explicit about what they were looking for I never would have had that experience and they never woud have gotten noob mesmers.

IOJ [TRBO]

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

when I started learning CoF 1 speedruns with my mesmer I did quite a few of the mistakes you mentioned as well and now I wonder why they didn’t kick me, my first run was abysmal (I think it took us about 12 minutes). I didn’t pull the doorguards, didn’t time feedback correctly on towers (warden doesn’t work quite so well because the aoes often land just next to him), didn’t pull slave driver etc.. if I had been kicked, I would’ve thought: hey, I did something wrong, better check what to improve (did this anyway), instead of going on the forums whining that I can’t play badly in a group without getting kicked.

if you join a speedrunning group with specific requirements you shouldn’t be surprised to be kicked if you join and play badly by not knowing when to do what. it only takes a few runs and maybe watching a few videos to know all the absolute obligations a mesmer has, as well as a few of the ‘nice to have’ stuff you can provide.

if you can’t play on the same level of the 4 other guys, why do you think they should keep you in the group? carrying a bad player was never fun. this has nothing to do with elitism but with you thinking you’re better than you are and joining a group you don’t belong in yet. it’s the only way to learn, but you have to expect to be kicked a few times until you get your skills up to a ‘usable’ level.

also, these forums are rather helpful if instead of whining you just ask: hey, I’m new to speedrunning CoF1, what should I do as a mesmer? I hijacked one thread and got so many useful tips (and a few build discussions).. now I never get kicked and some people actually take the time to whisper how they like my playstyle. for me that’s pretty nice, meaning I did my job well enough for them to recognize an improvement over other mesmers they grouped with in the past. also, for me, this is a lot more rewarding than going to the forums complaining about elitism.

but I do agree that people should be more willing to say a few words to improve each others gameplay (I often have to remind warris to use fGJ at the start of slavedriver so SoI works better) instead of blindly kicking. it’s just, when you see someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing at all, it takes at least 10 minutes overall to fully explain each sequence in detail (explain someone when to use feedback on effigy, how the animation looks etc).. this is a lot more than a few seconds for a quick reminder.

Did you read Op post???

Talk about elitism

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

If I were you I would’ve kicked those guys first.

10 mins is way too long for a cof1 speed run.

Completely agree since mesmers are not expected to contribute much by way of DPS, you should have told those l33t warriors they did not do their job. I do believe OP was unlucky enough to become the scapegoat for their mistakes.

An efficient run of CoF P1 is 5m30s – 6m for comparison. Next time you see those warriors – tell them to l2p. :P

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I did CoF last night, path 1 & 2, pug group, no requirements. we kicked bootay. both paths in under 20 min. profession distribution? thief, mesmer, guardian, guardian, warrior.
defending magg has never been so easy. every enemy was dead before the next assassin came out.
We celebrated our awesomeness with enthusiasm

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Well they sound like kitten but to be fair they did specify “experienced” so they obviously didn’t want to have to explain things. You weren’t quite as experienced as what they wanted. Although kicking you with no explanation was kittenty of them, those mistakes could be fixed easily and if your running with a PUG group you should expect some mistakes.
I avoid the CoF p1 speed run groups but then I don’t run it repeatedly for money. I only do CoF when I’m gearing characters out.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

Next time they want you to ping your gear get out before you waste your time, been there done that. I’m not saying avoid pug groups, especially since that’s what you gear yourself up for BUT-It sounds like they were nitpicking you instead of being happy that you did what’s expected of you with a pug group- there’s a difference between kicking a player because they are a liability to the experienced party, and kicking because of micro managing.
- i’ve been kicked for stupid reasons, such as this- ‘not on their precise schedule’ with the TW things like that and I mean “one second too late” bs- thus why I always am party leader – in hopes to avoid things like that, so I post in LFG. I think we all have or will eventually meet the idiot pugs of Gw2.
Sorry this had to happen to you!!

(edited by SnowHawk.3615)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Sorry but this isn’t the level of elitism is the Guild Wars 2 community. This is one group of elitists in the Guild Wars 2 community. I’ve never played an MMO that didn’t have elitists. Even Guild War 1, not a true MMO, had elitists. It’s unavoidable.

You’re right to be kitten off. But please don’t paint the entire community with one brush. I think by percentage there’s less elitism in this game than most MMOs. You just got dealt a bad hand.

Pretty much what this guy said, that’s a tiny percentage of this community, and honestly those jokers always give me a good laugh. Its downright amusing to see how low human beings sink just to fulfill personal gratification. Brush it off as noobs trying to be important, because honestly that’s all elitists are. But don’t let it ruin your gaming experience and certainly don’t label the rest of us as such.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Talk about elitism

Khal Drogo.9631

Completely agree since mesmers are not expected to contribute much by way of DPS, you should have told those l33t warriors they did not do their job. I do believe OP was unlucky enough to become the scapegoat for their mistakes.

An efficient run of CoF P1 is 5m30s – 6m for comparison. Next time you see those warriors – tell them to l2p. :P

If I am not mistaken, you must be in a fixed group and maxed everything to the hilt to get 5 min 30s – 6 min consistently and not have a single mistake when it comes to the effigy + cleared the acolytes without any random CC affecting any of the team.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

If I am not mistaken, you must be in a fixed group and maxed everything to the hilt to get 5 min 30s – 6 min consistently and not have a single mistake when it comes to the effigy + cleared the acolytes without any random CC affecting any of the team.

I guess if that’s all you do, all day long, after a while you get pretty good at it. Which makes me wonder why they’re spending all day collecting currency, what do they plan to spend it on? Buy a Twilight so you look cool for the four other guys you run CoF with?

Talk about elitism

Vayne.8563

Maybe there should be a CoF path 1 olympics or something so speed runners could compete against each other for their respective servers.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Maybe there should be a CoF path 1 olympics or something so speed runners could compete against each other for their respective servers.

lol…Second this. They should also allow spectating for this. Coz that’s where I’d rather be in such things

Talk about elitism

Posted by: BloodOmen.3560

BloodOmen.3560

Whoa I went ahead and read that linked post.

That is so sad.

Thanks for linking that OP. It was a good story. One I think everyone should check out.

Talk about elitism

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I Sympathize with you OP, all along I’ve been protesting Elitism in this game and couldn’t agree with you more.

Not only those Elitists are abusing their Power, they have this company backing;

If you would ask me how many threads and post got deleted or closed “for the sake of complaining” concerning their abusive power?, I would reply, “far too many”.

the sky is the limit” for those elitists

Great Post..

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Talk about elitism

Posted by: RageQuit.5687

RageQuit.5687

Correct. And 5m 30s is the “ideal” time, but it’s not always constant.
The biggest problems arise in two areas:

1 – The boulder room, where is the mesmer screws up the portal, we lose time.
2 – The last boss, because if we screw up stability, we lose time.

Other than that, it’s all rather easy, albeit tedious.
Then again what’s the alternative? If i want to gear my alts, and get say – Valkyrie gear which I can’t get with tokens, I need gold.
Now I am not prepared to waste time farming Orr for days hoping I’ll get lucky with Exotic drops or whatnot. So if I can make 40g in a day of playing, why not?

It’s efficient, it gets me what I want, in the time frame that’s acceptable to me and most importantly, I don’t have to resort to exploits, hacks or cheating.
It’s just a very logical way of earning gold for me.

Let me clarify – If I want to do P1 in a very fun, social way, I’d take my guardian, jump into a pug and do it in 10-15m while socializing with the guys in the group. However making money fast, to get what I want quickly is my preferred way of doing things. I enjoy GW2 much more when my characters have some sort of financial security. :P

Talk about elitism

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Don’t push Slave Driver into the kitten wall…