Teleportation consumable is a statement

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

A statement that says “If we get money for it, we’ll implement it!”.

“Did you ever face a challenge in PvE (oh the jokes…) you can’t beat?
Worry not! You can just spend enormeous amounts of money on BLC keys to get one of those consumables and you’ll never have to face a challenge again! You just need someone else to do it for you!
Getting better yourself is outdated, let someone else do the hard work!”

Thank you ANet for being that honest to us!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

And all the people who have used mesmer portals to finish JPs, get to difficult-to-reach locations, take a shortcut?

HHR LostProphet.4801

And all the people who have used mesmer portals to finish JPs, get to difficult-to-reach locations, take a shortcut?

The mesmer is the one who opens the portal, he is helping others.
The one using the teleportation consumable isn’t helping others, he is just helping himself. Furthermore, Portals are limited by range and by playercount. I assume there will be no range limitation for the consumable.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

As I understand it, it is also a one time use. Am I wrong?

Nothing to go crying over.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Ensio.8172

Ensio.8172

I think the new consumable is pretty silly in a game with so much fast travel, the only “challenging” bit about PvE they let you skip are jumping puzzles.

Unless you really, and I mean really, hate jumping puzzles and lack the achievements from doing them, why would you buy these?

RoseofGilead.8907

The one using the teleportation consumable isn’t helping others, he is just helping himself. Furthermore, Portals are limited by range and by playercount. I assume there will be no range limitation for the consumable.

The person taking the portal is just helping himself, as well. The consumable is limited by player count (one player can teleport to one friend). Plus, the consumables are a one-time-use item, unlike the portals which can be cast every minute or whatever. I see no difference between someone asking for and taking a mesmer portal and using the teleport consumable. Both are just fine; if they want to be lazy, then they can go right ahead.

HHR LostProphet.4801

The person taking the portal is just helping himself, as well. The consumable is limited by player count (one player can teleport to one friend). Plus, the consumables are a one-time-use item, unlike the portals which can be cast every minute or whatever. I see no difference between someone asking for and taking a mesmer portal and using the teleport consumable. Both are just fine; if they want to be lazy, then they can go right ahead.

Simple: The mesmer can choose to not open a portal.

Azhure.1857

Simple: The mesmer can choose to not open a portal.

…. What exactly is the counter argument that you are making here?

HHR LostProphet.4801

A mesmer helping you is a nice person who’s ok with you having no interest in beating the challenge he just did.
You teleporting to a random is like someone using cheats in games to skip the hardest part. And instead of creating this either useless or overpowered crap, ANet could’ve used the resources to improve some other systems.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

A mesmer helping you is a nice person who’s ok with you having no interest in beating the challenge he just did.
You teleporting to a random is like someone using cheats in games to skip the hardest part. And instead of creating this either useless or overpowered crap, ANet could’ve used the resources to improve some other systems.

You can’t teleport to random people, if I’m understanding it right. They have to be in your party. Also, a mesmer can’t control who goes through their portal. Dunno. It just seems like a weird thing to be upset about.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

HHR LostProphet.4801

The way I see it this item will either be useless or overpowered. Either way, it’s something this game doesn’t need and ANet could’ve used the resources otherwise but they didn’t. They chose to go for that extra money this item will grant them.

Ensio.8172

The way I see it this item will either be useless or overpowered. Either way, it’s something this game doesn’t need and ANet could’ve used the resources otherwise but they didn’t. They chose to go for that extra money this item will grant them.

“Creating” this item most likely didn’t eat up that many resources or time even, there is really no way this could be “overpowered” that I can think of, I just see it as completely useless.

RoseofGilead.8907

So, you have no idea how the item even works, I see. You can’t teleport to a random person. They have to be in a party with you. Sounds like you’re just complaining to complain.

HHR LostProphet.4801

“Creating” this item most likely didn’t eat up that many resources or time even, there is really no way this could be “overpowered” that I can think of, I just see it as completely useless.

Given that they can’t even fix the Kudzu bowstring, it must have taken a hell lot of time.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One possibility.

Wait to find out how it works.
Wait to see if the way it works causes problems.
Complain then.

Novel. Innovative, I know. But give it a try.

HHR LostProphet.4801

One possibility.

Complain then.

Better possibility: Use the resources to fix some problems instead of creating junk for the BLC.

Guhracie.3419

But you can control who is in your group, so… It’s pretty much less random. I’m plenty disgruntled, but this just seems petty.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Seems like an awful lot of gold to waste on that consumable for JPs when you can just buy portals from mesmers…

HHR LostProphet.4801

But you can control who is in your group, so… It’s pretty much less random. I’m plenty disgruntled, but this just seems petty.

To derail this completely: If you create a portal you know what will happen. If you accept a random groupinvite, you don’t.

Azhure.1857

I think you’re over-reacting.

Ensio.8172

I think you’re over-reacting.

Understatement of the day.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

To derail this completely: If you create a portal you know what will happen. If you accept a random groupinvite, you don’t.

So don’t accept random group invites.

And don’t announce you’re at the end of a jumping puzzle for people to know they can invite on you.

Guhracie.3419

If I create a portal, my nemesis could run up on the path and use it and there’s nothing at all to stop that. This is not derailing, this is a serious flaw with your reasoning. But, whatevs. I’ve got my own issues with ANET. If this one gets under your skin, have at it. I’m just not going to agree that it’s really a big deal either way. And I certainly don’t feel like it’s any sort of grand statement about money.

Honestly, the RNG nodes implemented after the discussion about RNG initiated by John Smith is more of a statement, in my mind. Anyway, I’ll leave you to it. I’ve said my bit, here, and we’re not going to change each other’s minds.

-Mike O’Brien

HHR LostProphet.4801

If you only look at this item – yes.
If you look at this item as the tip of the iceberg of screw ups – no.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s a one-use account bound item that works in PvE (which suggests to me it won’t work in dungeons, since they are instances). In that sense, it’s really no different from taking a Mesmer portal to the end of JP’s. (And on a related note, what do you think then of Mesmers who charge for their Portal services?)

HHR LostProphet.4801

People benefitting from other people’s lazyness. And it will also teleport you into instances.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Why did ANet feel the need to put this in a RNG box?

I would pay money for it without this RNG box nonsense.

Now, it is just a lost sale because of their greed.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

The wiki really doesn’t give us much to go on:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport_to_Friend
Does anyone have any actual experience with what this thing really does or does not do?

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

This is a weird thing to get upset over… :\

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Isn’t there a crafted one-time use teleporter? Pretty sure I have 3 or 4 or so in the bank

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a convenience item. Nothing to see here folks.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

This is a weird thing to get upset over… :\

Agreed.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

/\
|

Weird hobby.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

You don’t need to spend a lot of money. Spend $10 on a new character slot and make a mesmer. Mesmers are also good for teleporting ridiculously huge WvW blobs into the middle of other ridiculously huge enemy blobs. It’s a part of the No Blob Left Behind campaign that’s headed up by a dedicated team of staff guardians.

HHR LostProphet.4801

You don’t need to spend a lot of money. Spend $10 on a new character slot and make a mesmer. Mesmers are also good for teleporting ridiculously huge WvW blobs into the middle of other ridiculously huge enemy blobs. It’s a part of the No Blob Left Behind campaign that’s headed up by a dedicated team of staff guardians.

Ridiculous blobs = 25 players…

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Take as an example the Dive goggles in the Aetherblade hideout. Those goggles are a pain to reach and once you finally get to the dive platform you have to dive precisely in the right spot, and twist/turn all the way down to insure you hit the water below you. I do not know many people in the game that have successfully completed that dive on the first try.

So recently we had a couple of mesmers, working in tandem, that ported people up again and again so they could get the achievement. That would not be feasible with a one time use portal as to get to the top you require a double port.

So given the difference between having a mesmer as a friend versus a one time use portal to go to a friend I would pick the mesmer!

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

One possibility.

Complain then.

Except of course that complaining after the fact rarely works in this game. Even obvious bugs are often left untouched for years. Do you really think that if people waited with complains until after the colored comm tags were introduced, they would have been changed to what they are now? I seriously doubt it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

• Watchwork Pick was a statement (never commented on).
  • No custom amount for Gem exchange was a statement (reverted).
  • If “Teleport to a friend once at a high cost” is a statement, then it’s a statement of “See, we’re not going to implement the Chinese VIP system here”.
20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The only statement this item brings is a glimmer of hope that we are not getting the VIP system here.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

The only statement this item brings is a glimmer of hope that we are not getting the VIP system here.

Remember, nothing is off the table. Except dungeons. Those are totally off the table.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

To me, this isn’t any different than opting to use a mesmer portal for JP, or having someone else solo a dungeon path for you. Same general concept.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

• If “Teleport to a friend once at a high cost” is a statement, then it’s a statement of “See, we’re not going to implement the Chinese VIP system here”.

Why? All the more reason to be VIP! To gain access to a feature that is extremely costly for others!

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Remember, nothing is off the table. Except dungeons. Those are totally off the table.

coffee came out of my nose reading this for no reason.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

I dropped one..wish I actually had not, for it’s as useless as rejuvenating boosters, WXP boosters and co…at least to me. Another useless thing to throw off my inventory

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

coffee came out of my nose reading this for no reason.

You should run a business with that magical coffee conjuring nose of you.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . wasn’t there already a consumable which did this? I could have sworn there was one.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

it is part of the gw2 china vip system, they just made it an a la carte item rather than part of the vip monthly bundle of services. no new development was needed as our the na version already had all of the code.

[ICoa] Blackgate

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

I don’t see much of a problem with these given how easy travel is. Mesmer portals already allow people to bypass content and its not like these are unlimited use or anything.

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

I think its fair that this is a further test of “How much of the ViP system can we break down and charge individually for Before the community has a serious issue with it?”

because “we worked hard for over a year on these (still very bugged and broken and silly as kitten) assets and we really want them in every version of the game guys” is a lovely cover statement…

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

. . . wasn’t there already a consumable which did this? I could have sworn there was one.

Probably your thinking of the Twisted Watchwork Portal Device. It sends you to a random spot (vista, jumping puzzle, POI, maybe somewhere really random). This new one sends you to a party member, randomly chosen.