Temporary bans for profanity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

So if you turn off the profanity filter… and see profanity… knowing that you might be offended by the profanity… which you just purposefully exposed yourself to… shouldn’t you take some personal responsibility for that? o.O

The profanity filter is not there so other people can just constantly swear. You say take personal responsibility well people that curse should take some first in my opinion. You are not alone with friends or family you are with strangers. It’s called acting civilized.

By turning off the filter you’re basically telling the game that you’re fine with seeing it. That was your choice. I can’t stop you from turning the filter off. You can easily stop me from showing you profanity with the filter check box (again.. enabled by default).

It’s kinda like if you were to watch a show that says viewer discretion advised and then having the show canceled because you decided to view it anyways and were offended/shocked/whatever.

-.-

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

This is the most uptight thread I’ve ever seen. Don’t like profanity? Filter it and/or block people that are saying things you don’t like. No more profanity. Problem solved. Get over it.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

I suppose it’s a way for anet to cover their assets. So they can’t be slapped with a law suit. Although, I’m sure they can be investigated for other issues...

Mors janua vitæ

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Pretty sure that applies to Congress, not ArenaNet.

At any rate, there is a profanity filter, and you can block people.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

So if you turn off the profanity filter… and see profanity… knowing that you might be offended by the profanity… which you just purposefully exposed yourself to… shouldn’t you take some personal responsibility for that? o.O

The profanity filter is not there so other people can just constantly swear. You say take personal responsibility well people that curse should take some first in my opinion. You are not alone with friends or family you are with strangers. It’s called acting civilized.

By turning off the filter you’re basically telling the game that you’re fine with seeing it. That was your choice. I can’t stop you from turning the filter off. You can easily stop me from showing you profanity with the filter check box (again.. enabled by default).

It’s kinda like if you were to watch a show that says viewer discretion advised and then having the show canceled because you decided to view it anyways and were offended/shocked/whatever.

-.-

Sorry no, having the profanity filter on or off has nothing to do with it. You act like a jerk in public you almost always will get repercussions for it. It’s the same here. Or are you going to say well why don’t put in some earplugs so you can’t hear me, because that is what you are saying.

The profanity filter is there to catch the off remark, not to give freebies to people.

Aberrant.6749

-.-

Sorry no, having the profanity filter on or off has nothing to do with it. You act like a jerk in public you almost always will get repercussions for it. It’s the same here. Or are you going to say well why don’t put in some earplugs so you can’t hear me, because that is what you are saying.

The profanity filter is there to catch the off remark, not to give freebies to people.

Hardly the same thing. You don’t (by default) have something blocking these words from your ears. You have to add something yourself to have that happen… and then you can’t hear anything at all.

If the profanity filter was a 3rd party filter you had to add onto the game… and blocked ALL chat then you might have something there…

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I’m really confused by the intent of the OP. ArenaNet practices banning quite frequently for verbal attacks.

However, if this is just to bring awareness to the community then I agree. I also completely support ArenaNet’s stern stance against this sort of behavior. So many people write these attacks off with ‘just turn the profinity filter on’ without realizing how much damage is actually going on. Most of the time these attacks come from children, or adults that simply never grew up. Although it is neither ArenaNet’s, or the community’s responsibility to parent over such behavior; it is our obligation to raise our own standards higher when witnessing bullying attacks on one another. Demonstrating how this behavior is unacceptable will help foster a more welcoming gaming community for the next generation, as well as our own.

In regards to slipping a curse word once, and a while; I don’t think I’ve seen many cases (if any) of ArenaNet banning individuals. If they do, well that’s their own prerogative.

This isn’t our game. We didn’t make it. We’ve paid to participate in their virtual playground. They make the rules, and we play by them.

Once a member of the community doesn’t agree with those rules, well this really isn’t the place for them sadly. : /

Also, if you’re interested in gaming harassment, I strongly suggest this video. It gives great insight into this behavior, and also some really great ways to combat it.

Clicky —> http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

Aberrant.6749

We know the rules.

That doesn’t mean we can’t voice our opinion that they aren’t just rules and explain our logic behind it.

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

*Also, if you’re interested in gaming harassment, I strongly suggest this video. It gives great insight into this behavior, and also some really great ways to combat it.*

Clicky --> http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

A bit off topic but, hey that’s where those guys went, I used to watch them religiously when they were on The Escapist. Those guys know their kitten.

Posted by: Uberlicious.3956

Uberlicious.3956

they only follow the rules when they want anyways… i got temp banned because i didn’t report someone but they reported me , even though his name voilates the naming policy and he said inappropriate things to myself also

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

We know the rules.

That doesn’t mean we can’t voice our opinion that they aren’t just rules and explain our logic behind it.

Apparently not all of the posters know the rules or there would be no “Turn on the filter if you don’t like it” posts.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

Also, if you’re interested in gaming harassment, I strongly suggest this video. It gives great insight into this behavior, and also some really great ways to combat it.

Clicky —> http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

A bit off topic but, hey that’s where those guys went, I used to watch them religiously when they were on The Escapist. Those guys know their kitten.

I’ve watched almost every episode. Their shows have really raised my intelligence, and awareness as a gamer. I try to find a reason to share their videos as often as I can.

>.>

Clicky —> http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

People reported for profanity are banned, that’s a fact.
If you need to swear, do it in “real life”, verbally, no need to pollute the in game public chat with your written rudeness.

I usually ignore the occasional “F” word and similar stuff, but if someone gets into personal attacks and direct insults, or worse, racism or similar crap, I will report him for the greater good of the community and enjoy my game time without him polluting the public chat.

Freedom of speech is not an excuse to behave like a rude brat… or if you believe that, be my guest and put your actions where your mouth is, go to your local bar, or library, or even better, police station, and start insulting the people there… I’m not responsible of what is going to happen to you though.

god forbid you ever attend a professional sporting event, your virgin ears will be ruined by both the fans and players.

Reporting people for cussing is childish. Mommy, timmmy said the f word!!

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

Posted by: stormdragon.4932

stormdragon.4932

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You might want to actually learn what that means before quoting it Mr. Tea Party.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

You might want to actually learn what that means before quoting it Mr. Tea Party.

Idiotic interpretation of freedom of speech, in any case. No laws allow you to be a complete kittenhole in someone elses home. You have to abide by my rules or hit the road if you step into my house. ANet is no different…EULA is their rules. You signed it, you play by it or…hit the road (with help from ANet in some cases)

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Though I see no need being unkind to people; policing peoples freedom of speech I find unnecessary and unwanted. It might also be a collision of cultures. In the 1 country curses are almost a form of saying hello, in other countries it is heavily frowned upon, e.g., the usa, though one must recognize that Hollywood entertainment is filled with profanity and cursing. The whole thing is quit double.

Must say I never experienced a more decent community than the GW2 community. But perhaps I choose the people I party with more carefully and/or guild I join.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

god forbid you ever attend a professional sporting event, your virgin ears will be ruined by both the fans and players.

I seem to remember from the Reddit topic on this, that they are likely to turn a blind eye simply to someone swearing, it is when someone starts making personal attacks they will get banned if reported, which seems fair enough.

As for sporting events, depends on the sport, lots of the stuff chanted at football matches would be deemed unacceptable at a tennis match.

Sprawl.3891

I seem to remember from the Reddit topic on this, that they are likely to turn a blind eye simply to someone swearing, it is when someone starts making personal attacks they will get banned if reported, which seems fair enough.

As for sporting events, depends on the sport, lots of the stuff chanted at football matches would be deemed unacceptable at a tennis match.

i guess we are just cut from a different cloth. If someone starts swearing at me I laugh and troll them. If they were truly starting to bother me by spamming me or something I just block them. problem solved. Reporting someone on a computer game is just childish in my opinion, theres a million ways to avoid it unlike real life.

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

I’m seeing a lot of people in this thread that can’t distinguish between some very important (and very different) concepts: swearing and inappropriate behaviour are ENTIRELY SEPARATE. Being offended doesn’t make something offensive. Here are some examples for clarity.
Swearing: Holy kitten, I opened that dragon chest and Dawn dropped!
Inappropriate behaviour: kitten you, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
Do you see the difference?

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

Sylosi.6503

i guess we are just cut from a different cloth. If someone starts swearing at me I laugh and troll them. If they were truly starting to bother me by spamming me or something I just block them. problem solved. Reporting someone on a computer game is just childish in my opinion, theres a million ways to avoid it unlike real life.

Making personal attacks on people in a computer game is what is childish, it is pretty simple, if people want to behave like kids in the school playground then they should expect to get treated like them.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

as Phoenix Wright would say… HOLD IT! why are you guys even making this claims if anyone is bothered by Profanity There is a Kitten profanity Filter ENABLED by DEFAULT
as soon you disable that filter it means you want to see Cussing insults swearing and all kinds of profanity such as adult themed text and roleplays .
Filter on = Kiddy rainbows and power of friendship mode, with a sligh chance of ponies and unicorns.
Filter off=Entering the dark alley you was warned about when you were a kid.

stop trying to ruin the game for everyone the profanity filter is there for those who dislike profanity. bans for profanity shouldnt even exist in this game Profanity and Harrasment are different things i can say all sorts of naughty stuff as long as i dont use them for insulting someone or racism or degrading it should be fine.
(well my friends and i do call each other names and such but we all know its all in the name of fun and laugh together so that isn’t harrassment lol)

Sprawl.3891

Making personal attacks on people in a computer game is what is childish, it is pretty simple, if people want to behave like kids in the school playground then they should expect to get treated like them.

you are acting equally childish by reporting them when there’s a million ways to avoid it. filter, turn map chat off, leave zone, or just right click block. so hard.

Sylosi.6503

you are acting equally childish by reporting them when there’s a million ways to avoid it. filter, turn map chat off, leave zone, or just right click block. so hard.

Not really, I wasn’t refering to swearing by itself, I’m fine with swearing (and if I wasn’t I would indeed use the filter), I’m talking about personal attacks (which often do use expletives, but not always and is what people get banned for), if you want to go around insulting strangers then you need to learn to take responsibilty for your actions, like an adult.

Of course the best option is simply not to make personal attacks on people you don’t know, to use your words “so hard”.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

as Phoenix Wright would say… HOLD IT! why are you guys even making this claims if anyone is bothered by Profanity There is a Kitten profanity Filter ENABLED by DEFAULT
as soon you disable that filter it means you want to see Cussing insults swearing and all kinds of profanity such as adult themed text and roleplays .
Filter on = Kiddy rainbows and power of friendship mode, with a sligh chance of ponies and unicorns.

stop trying to ruin the game for everyone the profanity filter is there for those who dislike profanity. bans for profanity shouldnt even exist in this game Profanity and Harrasment are different things i can say all sorts of naughty stuff as long as i dont use them for insulting someone or racism or degrading it should be fine.
(well my friends and i do call each other names and such but we all know its all in the name of fun and laugh together so that isn’t harrassment lol)

Just because you find it okay doesn’t mean others do. To be honest swearing is the most immature form of communication. So kiddie mode would be without filters. As that is when you get to see all the kiddie stuff.

You are playing with a whole lot of strangers from throughout the world with different customs and values so how about people be civil and not offend people.

I’d say stop being selfish and think about someone else.

Rezzet.3614

Just because you find it okay doesn’t mean others do. To be honest swearing is the most immature form of communication. So kiddie mode would be without filters. As that is when you get to see all the kiddie stuff.

You are playing with a whole lot of strangers from throughout the world with different customs and values so how about people be civil and not offend people.

I’d say stop being selfish and think about someone else.

im not the one being selfish its the ones complaining simply because of the the fact the game has a Profanity Filter Enabled in the game by Default. it is Optional to remove it so that means the player wants to see profanity and its not like players go around shouting profanity in Map chat all day nonstop.

Rezzet.3614

if they are indeed insulting directly and wont stop that is considered Harrassing and can be reported as for why because one thing is an occasional swear and another is degrading someone toxic behaviour and lack of respect.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

so again we are different. where I just block them. you take the extra childish step to report them for saying something to you on a computer game in hopes they get out in a timeout by daddy. this isn’t real life, do you really feel threatened or get upset from what someone says to you on a game chat? sad what a thin skin society we live in now days. omg he told me l2p and used bad words waaa plz ban he hurt me

To ridicule and basically insult your partner in a discussion like this really does not help your cause.

It only shows that you are out of arguments. The profanity filter can never serve as a universal filter for all types of insults, threats, racial slurs etc. On top of that the profanity filter might filter “normal” phrases (or accepted). Language also changes over time. You may be fine with an adult joke, but not with a personal threat. It (the filter) can only serve as a feeble attempt of extra layer.

Perhaps the anger and frustration is best let out directly – a screaming therapy if you like to imagine that. No need to type it down. Unless you actually want a negative reaction.

If you go to a restaurant with your friend – and you and your friend are “talking” to each other, you know, inappropriately – and the other guests complain, you can’t tell the owner of the restaurant that they should go sit at a different table, leave or ignore it (give them earplugs). The only solution for you is to keep your voice down in the first place if you absolutely can’t control it (or you are not willing to). Translated you can whisper your friend or party chat or guild chat with likeminded individuals/friends.

Well this is the best I can do in terms of a comparison to convey my thoughts about this matter.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Easy way to never get banned for inappropriate language: Never type ever, not even to friends, make names like: alabnofabogbao, don’t rez anyone who is dead/downed, make sure to have a juvenile brown bear with a default human ranger female face/hair.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: NastyPiggy.2046

NastyPiggy.2046

If someone just swears, fine, whatever.

If someone swears at me or someone else, then it’s getting reported.

Arena net isn’t going to ban people for occasionally saying the f word, but they will ban you for verbally abusing someone. That’s the difference.

Can’t you just block the person? Didn’t they create tools to block any person you don’t want to listen to which fixes your situation.

(edited by NastyPiggy.2046)

Posted by: NastyPiggy.2046

NastyPiggy.2046

so again we are different. where I just block them. you take the extra childish step to report them for saying something to you on a computer game in hopes they get out in a timeout by daddy. this isn’t real life, do you really feel threatened or get upset from what someone says to you on a game chat? sad what a thin skin society we live in now days. omg he told me l2p and used bad words waaa plz ban he hurt me

I’ve never reported anyone (other than bots/gold sellers), but if I had someone that I ddn’t know making personal attacks on me, sure I’d report them, teach them a lesson that they clearly need to learn.

As for society, last time I checked it wasn’t acceptable to hurl abuse at strangers.

It is pretty simple, if you are unable to play a computer game without hurling insults at individuals, then you need to grow up.

Don’t watch the news who label people based off of their opinions? Don’t read anything about politics? They hurl abuse at people they don’t know all the time. OK with abortions then you’re a murder.

Sprawl.3891

To ridicule and basically insult your partner in a discussion like this really does not help your cause.

It only shows that you are out of arguments. The profanity filter can never serve as a universal filter for all types of insults, threats, racial slurs etc. On top of that the profanity filter might filter “normal” phrases (or accepted). Language also changes over time. You may be fine with an adult joke, but not with a personal threat. It (the filter) can only serve as a feeble attempt of extra layer.

Perhaps the anger and frustration is best let out directly – a screaming therapy if you like to imagine that. No need to type it down. Unless you actually want a negative reaction.

If you go to a restaurant with your friend – and you and your friend are “talking” to each other, you know, inappropriately – and the other guests complain, you can’t tell the owner of the restaurant that they should go sit at a different table, leave or ignore it (give them earplugs). The only solution for you is to keep your voice down in the first place if you absolutely can’t control it (or you are not willing to). Translated you can whisper your friend or party chat or guild chat with likeminded individuals/friends.

Well this is the best I can do in terms of a comparison to convey my thoughts about this matter.

I’m out of arguments? I’m not making an argument. I’m explaining my opinion of why I feel reporting for something on a computer game is childish. The filter is one of many layers you can avoid a situation escalating further in a computer game. Please stop with the horrible real life comparisons. This is a computer game, where a simple right click – block removes any further incident. You and many others though feel simply blocking someone and ending it there is not enough and feel the need to tattle on them as well and hope they get put in timeout.

And as to your (bad) real life argument, if I was the one being bothered by the chat I would go up to them, in person. People react much better if you say something to their face rather than send over a waiter to tell them some anonymous person complained about them. Remember there is no right click block option in real life so please avoid these silly comparisons.

If you cant deal with someone calling you a bad name and telling you to L2P in computer game fantasy land you have bigger issues.

(edited by Sprawl.3891)

Posted by: astrocanis.3195

astrocanis.3195

GW2 is not a government agency. This amendment speaks specifically to government. As a private citizen, it does NOT mean there are no consequences for your exercise of free speech from other citizens.

Sprawl.3891

Not really, I wasn’t refering to swearing by itself, I’m fine with swearing (and if I wasn’t I would indeed use the filter), I’m talking about personal attacks (which often do use expletives, but not always and is what people get banned for), if you want to go around insulting strangers then you need to learn to take responsibilty for your actions, like an adult.

Of course the best option is simply not to make personal attacks on people you don’t know, to use your words “so hard”.

As for society, last time I checked it wasn’t acceptable to hurl abuse at strangers.

Last time I checked it is just fine to hurl abuse at strangers, I watch a lot of sports, political shows and listen to talk radio and the most popular shows are the ones that hurl the most abuse at bad players, political opponents, etc.

Posted by: astrocanis.3195

astrocanis.3195

I’ve never reported anyone (other than bots/gold sellers), but if I had someone that I ddn’t know making personal attacks on me, sure I’d report them, teach them a lesson that they clearly need to learn.

It is pretty simple, if you are unable to play a computer game without hurling insults at individuals, then you need to grow up.

Don’t watch the news who label people based off of their opinions? Don’t read anything about politics? They hurl abuse at people they don’t know all the time. OK with abortions then you’re a murder.

Ethically, it’s up for grabs on the abortion issue. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make. I tend to agree with the poster you are arguing with because insulting does nothing to improve the overall game experience for anyone but the moron chuffing off insults.

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I do not think profanity should be ban worthy but personal attacks and harassment are a whole other issue as one can be belligerent towards another using zero profanity. So what is this about, “bad” words or receiving nasty attitudes? I think there is a big difference between someone spewing insults and someone saying “Oh man, that was some crazy kitten!”.

“Swearing is childish” is not a fact, its an opinion, if you don’t like seeing it, block the person or use the filter. Everybody doesn’t think like you, and that will not change. You’re O.K seeing axes and fireballs launched into people’s faces but “harsh” words are too much.

Whispers with meat.

Rouven.7409

Oh, I totally agree with you that any real life argument is flawed, but not necessarily bad. You are just not seeing the complete picture (what kind of customer the owner of the restaurant wants to attract and what you may discuss with him). You did however identify the main difference – that you cannot truly affect anything because you can’t say something directly to the “face”. It is not the same type of interaction – hence trolling is really only an internet term.

But of course we have the bullies argument here – intimidate your discussion partner – again by ridiculing them and trying to make them feel bad. We are not discussing bans for profanity – but instead “don’t taddle you child”. “If you can’t take it go to mommy.”

Now in real life these might be valuable lessons, how to protect yourself or stand up against bullies. In this medium it’s rather futile.

You do have the ignore option, not denying that – it’s a good option that I like to use. But ask yourself if it really helps the situation in the long run. Because the ones that can’t stand this kind of behaviour – the wimsy kids as you might put it – they go out there and tell everyone how terrible the GW2 community is.

Control yourself, not others – that’s all I’m saying.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I do not think profanity should be ban worthy but personal attacks and harassment are a whole other issue as one can be belligerent towards another using zero profanity. So what is this about, “bad” words or receiving nasty attitudes? I think there is a big difference between someone spewing insults and someone saying “Oh man, that was some crazy kitten!”.

“Swearing is childish” is not a fact, its an opinion, if you don’t like seeing it, block the person or use the filter. Everybody doesn’t think like you, and that will not change. You’re O.K seeing axes and fireballs launched into people’s faces but “harsh” words are too much.

This guy is right, for a game which gives you the tools for handle the situations by yourself, asking for ban is like asking for babysitting, everybody paid, everybody are customers.

Why the need of report with ‘’please ban him, this unknown person of the internet hurt my feelings’’, when you can do some clicks and resolve the problem by your own.

I took an arrow to the knee

Sylosi.6503

Last time I checked it is just fine to hurl abuse at strangers, I watch a lot of sports, political shows and listen to talk radio and the most popular shows are the ones that hurl the most abuse at bad players, political opponents, etc

You didn’t check correctly.

If you’ve watched sports then you will know in tennis for instance players are given a court violation for swearing, and abuse of the umpire / crowd can even lead to disqualification.

But guess what, a tennis match or any other sporting match, nor a dumb talk radio show is ‘society’, but of course feel free to test your theory and go out and find a police officer then start hurling expletives at them, then ignore their warnings to stop then see what happens.

Did your parents teach you it is perfectly fine to hurl abuse at strangers?

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

If a dude is a being dick, I usually call him a dick.
If I do something dumb, I usually say, kitten, that was dumb.
I just call it as I see it folks, take it with a grain of salt, or kitten off =D

When you put hundreds and thousands of people together kitten is gonna happen, not many options either, kitten it and walk away, or kitten it and join in!

(edited by Fletch.3572)

Posted by: mavet.3047

mavet.3047

That’s a problem these days - I agree with fletch. Where I come from, we don’t sugar coat sh t, just say it to your face. And ppl get along well together. Not this total bllsh t PC (Piece of Crap) garbage - if you’re an as h l then I’m going to call you one - plain and simple

Mors janua vitæ

Posted by: Delusion.9543

Delusion.9543

Imo, if you’re getting banned for swearing, you must be waaaay over-doing it.

Because I have cursed quite a bit and haven’t been talked to by anybody, Anet or community wise.
But I’m also never threatening anybody lol.

Rouven.7409

I think that’s a good attitude that Fletch and mavet portrayed, because that’s the answer you are getting for certain behaviour – a temporary ban. And with that attitude you won’t go on the forums to whine about it like a child – oh, they took my lolly from me for 72 hours because of that bad kid over there that taddled. No, you would take it like a grownup, you suck it up and move on. Because that’s what happens when hundreds and thousands of people are put together.

I like that

Sprawl.3891

That’s a problem these days – I agree with fletch. Where I come from, we don’t sugar coat sh t, just say it to your face. And ppl get along well together. Not this total bllsh t PC (Piece of Crap) garbage – if you’re an as h l then I’m going to call you one – plain and simple

exactly, nobody has nuts these days. Instead of confronting someone face to face, it’s “i’m gonna go sue this guy for calling me a bad name in public and clog up the legal system”

I feel bad for the anet folks who have to sift through probably hundreds of “reports” of “so and so called me dumb kitten and told me to learn to play”

It’s typically a running gag in most games to say “reported” anytime someone uses a curse word, basically making fun of the people who actually did silently report them rather than actually saying anything to them.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

It seems people don’t understand the difference between verbal abuse and just swearing. People swear. That’s life. If you don’t like it, get over it. It will happen and you will hear it. Verbal abuse is a whole other subject.

When it comes to GW2, you won’t get banned for simple swearing. Anyone who says they did, is lying. There is a lot more to the story if they claim that. Simple swearing like “that is F’ing awesome” will not get you banned. There is a profanity filter for those exact reasons if you don’t like it.

But when it comes to verbal abuse, then you can get banned for it. When you direct those curses to an individual, that is when it becomes an issue. Such as saying “you’re an F’ing F’er”. Then you can get action taken against you.

And those who say it is childish to report someone for that kind of behavior, get over yourself. There is nothing childish about enforcing the rules that YOU agreed to. If you don’t like it, leave. You signed an agreement saying you would report such behavior and abide by the rules. So don’t get all high and mighty with your morals about how your rights are being taken away.

Blocking someone doesn’t solve anything. That individual will continue to verbally abuse others whether you blocked him or not. Does that stop the problem? No it doesn’t. Reporting the individual and having action taken against them stops the problem. It gives them a nice vacation and time to think about what they have done and decide if it is worth doing again. So again, telling them it is childish and to just block them solves nothing.

So seriously. Grow up, stop bickering like a child over rules that you agreed to that you don’t want to follow, and move on. This is Anet’s house, and they have rules. Abide by them or leave. Simple as that.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Swearing is not a problem, the profanity filter is there for a reason. Harassment, however, is a different story.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

The profanity filter is NOT an excuse to swear in a repeated and overdone manner which lowers the level of maturity of the ingame chat, swearing is awesome and I don’t want it banned it’s just part of life and whatnot but swearing REPEATEDLY and in an OVER THE TOP manner in an IN GAME CHAT is like being that irritatingly foul mouthed child with voice control issues that everyone wishes would just shut the heck up or be dealt with by their parent, you may as well be shouting at traffic if you overdo it because you just look insane.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

The profanity filter is NOT an excuse to swear in a repeated and overdone manner which lowers the level of maturity of the ingame chat, swearing is awesome and I don’t want it banned it’s just part of life and whatnot but swearing REPEATEDLY and in an OVER THE TOP manner in an IN GAME CHAT is like being that irritatingly foul mouthed child with voice control issues that everyone wishes would just shut the heck up or be dealt with by their parent, you may as well be shouting at traffic if you overdo it because you just look insane.

I think you’re over reacting and with the filter on you won’t even see them swear.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I report. I do not use the profanity filter because I have no problem with profanity. I do have a problem with attacks whether they are general attacks against groups of people (women, LGBT community, minorities, etc.) or personal attacks against one person. I report. Don’t like it? I don’t give a kitten. Don’t want to get banned? Don’t be a jerk.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Videshi.5371

Videshi.5371

“Swearing provides a relief denied even to prayer” – Mark Twain

That being said… I love when people substitute “kitten” for swear words. It’s funny as a motherkitten.