Thank you, ANet and [ENVY]!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I was diagnosed with cancer about two weeks ago: I had been feeling very sick for months and finally two Sundays ago I was ambulanced in with horrible stomach pains. What the doctors thought was a bad urinary infection turned out to be a tumor the size of a football, with one extra node elsewhere, that had engulfed my inner reproductive organs, was eating through my abdominal wall, and was crushing everything around it, particularly my bladder, stomach and intestines. A few days later, they removed it, the smaller one, the entirety of said inner reproductive organs, and part of my abdominal muscles and lining. They thought they might have to take the colon and bladder, too, but those fortunately turned out to be clean.

Giving the news to my fellow officers and guildies (The Court of Envy on TC) sucked— there was no warning, just, ‘oh hey lol, I’ve just been diagnosed with cancer, I might not be back for weeks or ever because they think it’s stage 4’. But instead of asking me to step down as an officer and in-character leader, they told me not to even worry about that, to just focus on surgery and recovery and that they would pray for me and send me good vibes.

I couldn’t log in in the game from the hospital (I returned home a few days ago but I still am not well enough to sign in), so they kept in touch with me through Skype while I typed very badly on my phone because Oxy. They asked for updates and encouraged me when I was down, and kept me updated on Living Story stuffs to cheer me up.

This whole ordeal would have been so much rougher without their friendship, and all of them are folks I have met through Guild Wars 2. Missing part (maybe all) of Wintersday sucks, but knowing that they and this wonderful game will still be there when I am a bit better has helped keep my spirits up. Hopefully the doctors got it all and that the biopsy results are good, so I can keep playing, and hanging out with my friends, for many more years. <3

Thank you so much.

(Also, if folks think this is a scam I can post a pic of the surgery wound with my user ID near it or whatever. :P)

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Glad to hear it. You stay well now!

(Also, if folks think this is a scam I can post a pic of the surgery wound with my user ID near it or whatever. :P)

No uh… That’s quite alright. Go ahead and keep that to yourself.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Sylv.5324

Thank you, and I really would rather, yeah. <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

I hope you get better as soon as possible! I’ll be praying for you!

Posted by: Ouimette.5902

Ouimette.5902

Why you gotta go and hand out feels like this!!!?

No but seriously, I do hope things get better.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

I’m so glad that your Guild Wars 2 friends are helping your spirits through a very difficult time, Sylv. We’re all sending good thoughts your way for positive results and a speedy recovery.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: airick.9850

airick.9850

I hope for an easy, and fast recovery

Sylv.5324

Thank you! <333

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Glad to hear they support you in such a careful way! Here’s hoping you get better very soon, and enjoy Wintersday in Tyria! ^^

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Birdack.6714

Birdack.6714

I hope for the fastest recovery possible!! Italian Guild Wars 2 players are with you aswell!

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Get Better Soon! Mind if I send you a little wintersday merriment to your in game mail? =D

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Sylv.5324

I don’t mind, thank you so much! ;.; <3 And yay italian players! <333

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

You’re welcome a little Merriment is on its ways =D Happy Wintersday!

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Sylv.5324

You guys are the best omg. ;.; <333

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’ve been in a similar position, where my gaming family has circled around me when I needed the support. It’s an amazing feeling. I hope your biopsy shows much improvement and that you start feeling better soon. All the best!

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Reading this .. almost .. made me cry :¨¨(
I wish you the best <3
You must be going through really though times now, and I know we can’t make much of a difference, but I’ll leave you with an inspirational quote

“I have spent my whole life scared. Frightened of things that could happen, might happen, might not happen. Fifty years I spent like that. Finding myself awake at 3 in the morning. But you know what? Ever since my diagnosis, I sleep just fine. And I came to realize it’s that fear that’s the worst of it. That’s the real enemy. So get up. Get out in the real world. And you kick that b*stard as hard as you can right in the teeth.”

(edited by jokke.6239)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

All the best to you, Sylv, and I look forward to seeing you in the game very soon!

And I want to say how sweet it was of you to post this, to let us know how thoughtful your GW2 friends have been. It really is a marvelous community of players, and your friends are wonderful examples of that. Hugs to them, and HUGE hugs to you. <3

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

I’m glad to hear you have such good guildies who support you through it all! Hopefully you’ll be feeling better soon and will be able to enjoy the game and their company around you.

All the best to you, hopefully they got it all and I wish you a fast recovery and of course, happy holidays

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Wishing you all the best days ahead, a speedy recovery and clean biopsy. The “C” word is frightening to deal with, but you can, and will be back in the game . See you in Tyria!

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Next

Good luck with the recovery Sylv, wishing you a good end of year and Wintersday despite the circumstances!

Sylv.5324

Thank you so much. I’m so grateful for all the kind words and feels, I can’t adequately express how much the support from my guildies and from you guys has meant.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

I wish you the best!!!
I hope you will fight and survive!
Stay stong!!! <3

I have friend who is part of GW2 community and he is fighting with cancer for 2 years.
I know how much support is important to survive this kitten .
Whatever you need let us know

Can You Keep a Secret?

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi Sylv,

I hope your recovery goes well. Like Regina said we will be thinking of you. And a big hug to you, all of your friends and community for the support they have shown.

Chris

Posted by: Borne Trickster.8254

Borne Trickster.8254

Omg Ardy <3
We love you so very much and are so happy that you are feeling better
You made me cry at work, silly. My make up ran and everything… >.<
We are here for you, remember that

Nari, Sylvari Necromancer of [Envy]

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I wish you the best of luck, Sylv. Happy Holidays and I hope you get better soon.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Best of luck in your recovery Sylv.

The Burninator

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I’m sure I speak for the rest of my guild when I wish you a speedy recovery, and good luck. You’re very lucky to have such an awesome guild, and I’m sure they’re lucky to have such an awesome player.

Sylv.5324

Thank you! And good luck to your friend, Levian!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: bird.5920

bird.5920

Oh Ardy, all my tears but I’m so glad you’re recovering!

Love you, and all of us eagerly await your return when you’re feeling better. You’re such a great guy, Ardy. We all miss you. ;v;

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m glad to see some merriment (albeit brought about by sad times) on this forum. We need more of it, to show the better side of the gw community – the community I learned to love and enjoy back in GW1 days. I tend to feel like it’s lessened since those days, but posts like this… reminds me that it isn’t, at least as much as I tend to think.

I hope things work out for the best for you, Sylv.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Sylv.5324

Me too, and for everyone else dealing with big troubles right now. ;.; <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sylv.5324

Went in to see doc, got news that it was malignant. Gonna start chemo as soon as I.ha e recovered from surgery.

Thank you for all the positive vibes and feels, I am hanging onto them pretty hard right now.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Went in to see doc, got news that it was malignant. Gonna start chemo as soon as I.ha e recovered from surgery.

Thank you for all the positive vibes and feels, I am hanging onto them pretty hard right now.

You can beat this! I’m so sorry your news was bad.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

With so many positive thoughts, Sylv, you’re on your way to a full recovery!

Re-do on the hugs for you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Borne Trickster.8254

Borne Trickster.8254

Ardy, we have your back… all of us. Much love and dancing in the woods for you

Nari, Sylvari Necromancer of [Envy]

Sylv.5324

Always time for dancings. <3 Every chemo session should include dancing!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: GreatWoolf.3412

GreatWoolf.3412

Sylv,
Be sure that we all will be cheering for you during this dificult time, It is not easy when you have to face challenges like this, but be sure that you are not alone, we will be with you (in spirit) every step of the way, and when you are ready to return, we will celebrate in whatever your favorite city may be.

From Brazil, Que Deus abençoe (May God Bless You)

Sylv.5324

Thank you so much! I <3 Brazil.

I wish everyone could fly down so folks could line up in formations right there in the hospital.

“Ok, 3, 2, 1… /DANCE *!”
Coolest flash mob ever.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: blade.6052

blade.6052

All the best from here in the UK.

Hope all goes well, and look forward to seeing you in game again soon

Posted by: Screenager.7804

Screenager.7804

seconded here. All the best and I hope you get through everything swiftly and we see you wandering round Tyria soon

Screenager
Executed [ExE] – Piken Square
characterselect.net

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

What I find most heroic is that you somehow wanted to play a video game, when death was staring you in the face.

If someone told me I had cancer, I’d go insane. Games would be the last thing on my mind.

Anyhoo, all the best to you. Cancer is a horrible thing.
I’m confident that one day soon, that plague will be but a memory.

Sylv.5324

When I was diagnosed with the tumors there was no warning and they kept me at the hospital until I got surgery two days later. Everyone I am really close to (sweetie, sweetiemom and sweetiebro) came with me and stayed, and they notified the few in-laws who cared.

So I let folks know online via phone skype app (typing from phone now too). I was a shut-in for years because of another illness, so most of my friends are online.

A few folks have told me my response has been weird, but I’ve lived online for so long that it was normal to me. I just found out that stuff was malignant a couple days ago and almost passed out when I got the news, but sweetie was there and has been very supportive and so have my online friends. I hope to recover and maybe have a get together with folks so I can thank them in person. <333

I mean I cried for an hour after I found out and still get anxiety but that can’t last forever.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Many people still take health for granted. Such disease can hit anyone.

I hope you get well Sylv.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Sending many positive thoughts/vibes your way. Good people and lasting friendships can be found online just like any other venue. In fact we are more connected to one another than ever before. You are lucky to have such support and friendship. I hope you find some much needed peace of mind. Stay strong Sylv, always believe you can beat this thing into oblivion.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Jayjaydee.3827

Jayjaydee.3827

You know, this is a perfect example of something I’ve thought for a while. So many people who don’t game want to badmouth video games, saying they make people zombies, or isolate them or someother nonsense. Well Sylv’s story shows how this can be the exact opposite. You can develop real relationships, even if its online and in guild chat. Yes its different than the people in your "real life’, but its perfectly legit.
In fact, sometimes people an be MORE honest with guildies than other people. For example the other night guild chat consisted of people talking about how messed up their brothers and sisters were. We talked about drug abuse, mental illness… really serious stuff. Maybe the “distance” created by online chat makes it easier to talk about these deeper feelings.
One last example of how video games help people in concrete real life ways. 100% true story what im about to say. I used to play the game clash of clans which has clan chat, essentially the same guild chat. Similarly, you develop relationships with your clan mates. One of my clanmates was terminally ill with esophageal cancer, and was too weak and debilitated to really do anything except play video games. He died a few months after I “met” him. Some people in our clan did the whole Movember thing to raise money for cancer research, I personally donated. Also, in the weeks after his death, his mom would get on clan chat on his account to talk to us, to talk about her grief, and to thank us for “being there” for her son in his final months. I still get emotional thinking about it.
So with this in mind, I’m happy to be spending my free time having fun, building relationships, and taking down dragons.

Prayers and love sent your way Sylv

Sylv.5324

Thank you for well-wishes and also thank you Jayjaydee for your story.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Wish you well for this battle of life, I hope you’ll defeat cancer!!
Stay strong!!!!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|