The 2 Copy Movement

The 2 Copy Movement

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

We have heard, and loudly and mostly in all caps, the voices of the entitled generation, the folks who believe… actually, I dono what they believe.

Now, here is the voice of the other side, the side that feels that Anet has set a fair price. The side the believes it is not just a novel idea, but ground breaking to release an expansion with the base game (They were not first. Distant Worlds did it as well… but certainly in the MMO side I think). The side that do not feel they are being robbed because someone else is getting something they did not get (Not even sure how you logic that out). The side that supports the game and acknowledged that Anet employees do not work for charity (Gasp!).

The side that will… Buy 2 copies of HoT!

Yes, I will do that, and I will gift one copy to a friend, and bring someone into the game I would not be embarrassed to see talking in map-chat.

Cheers Anet. See you in HoT!

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

We have heard, and loudly and mostly in all caps, the voices of the entitled generation, the folks who believe… actually, I dono what they believe.

Now, here is the voice of the other side, the side that feels that Anet has set a fair price. The side the believes it is not just a novel idea, but ground breaking to release an expansion with the base game (They were not first. Distant Worlds did it as well… but certainly in the MMO side I think). The side that do not feel they are being robbed because someone else is getting something they did not get (Not even sure how you logic that out). The side that supports the game and acknowledged that Anet employees do not work for charity (Gasp!).

Yes, I will do that, and I will gift one copy to a friend, and bring someone into the game I would not be embarrassed to see talking in map-chat.

No one cares that you’re ok with sub par overpriced products, and genuinely cannot grasp or even fathom the reason why the current model is being torn apart, and rightfully so. Here’s a little secret for you, from the the entitled generation, if it was marketed CORRECTLY there wouldn’t be a discussion about it.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

You forgot the side that doesn’t care that new players are getting the game for free but feel that HoT is too little content to warrant a 50$ price tag and that the only reason it has a 50$ price tag is because they bundled the value of the core game into the price of the expansion. All these people want is good value for their money but so far they aren’t seeing it. Entitlement has nothing to do with it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Simple fact is veteran players are being screwed. Joe Schmoe off the street who has never played the game before can walk in , pay $100 and have the entire game to explore. Me, I paid $60 for the game two years ago and now if I want the same perks as a brand new player its going to cost me $160. That sounds real fair to me. Its not like we are the players who built the game into what it is and made the expansion even possible or anything, right?

I figured the cost of the expansion would be around $40. For just the expansion. It never occurred to me that I would basically be subsidizing new players so that Anet could give them the base game for free, something I paid $60 for. I feel like I am being screwed. Its not about the money, I could buy the full $100 expansion for all 400 of my guild members and have pocket cash left over, its just offensive to me that they would not give me some preferential deal or treatment for being a “founding” player.

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Friggarn.9451

Friggarn.9451

Simple fact is veteran players are being screwed. Joe Schmoe off the street who has never played the game before can walk in , pay $100 and have the entire game to explore. Me, I paid $60 for the game two years ago and now if I want the same perks as a brand new player its going to cost me $160. That sounds real fair to me. Its not like we are the players who built the game into what it is and made the expansion even possible or anything, right?

I figured the cost of the expansion would be around $40. For just the expansion. It never occurred to me that I would basically be subsidizing new players so that Anet could give them the base game for free, something I paid $60 for. I feel like I am being screwed. Its not about the money, I could buy the full $100 expansion for all 400 of my guild members and have pocket cash left over, its just offensive to me that they would not give me some preferential deal or treatment for being a “founding” player.

Did Joe Schmoe get the past 2 years of free gametime and all the memories you may have gotten? This isn’t an Apples to Apples comparison. Joe Schmoe missed out on Season 1 and has to pay for Season 2.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

See, a lot of this reminds of the smaller firestorm from people with two legendaries losing their minds that they weren’t going to get anything special with the new wardrobe.

They aren’t kittened about what they’re getting. They’re kittened because they think someone else is getting more, which is honestly a VERY kittenty way to approach anything. Those people need to be ignored.

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

No one cares that you’re ok with sub par overpriced products, and genuinely cannot grasp or even fathom the reason why the current model is being torn apart, and rightfully so. Here’s a little secret for you, from the the entitled generation, if it was marketed CORRECTLY there wouldn’t be a discussion about it.

Free economic principle: If you feel something is over priced, don’t buy it

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Puz.8529

Puz.8529

For all those that add HOT to an account that already had access to GW2, the core game should be added as bonus gems. It will cost them nothing, but compensates us ‘veterans’ for the ‘high price’ if you only gain the expansion.

Puz – TDA

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Uh hu…. Cause, us ‘veterans’ are so much more important than new players. Get over yourself.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

This is a grand idea. I’m with you. 2 copies!
Hell, I’ll upgrade all of my friends’ accounts if I need to.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Free economic principle: If you feel something is over priced, don’t buy it

True.

Let’s see you spout that nonsense when the sales are behind on expectations, the player numbers are droping and arenanet has to shift to more gem focused purchases to stay in business.

You can defend shady business practices all you want, does not make the concernes of others less valid.

Here’s a shocker for you, some of us actually enjoy GW2 and hope/want arenanet not to turn into the next blizzard/activision completely.

Now go back to university and try to listen more closely next time customer satisfaction and retention is being tought.

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Not defending anything. Simply saying, I have no issue with set price and that I am satisfied with my care… and I bought multiple copies.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Technically yea vets are.

Time invested. Those with long times invested are less likely to leave the game. Just because of time invested. Veterans are more likely to speak about the game. I still tell people GW2 is practically thee Best MMO out there.

Heck for the past 6ish month all I really do is log in do 2-6 dungeons and log off.

Also free? I cant speak for others but I know I paid for the hours spent ingame. I know my ex did. I know quite a few people have.

Now ofcourse that doesnt mean that new players are not important but as anyone who has studied accounting should know. Customer loyalty is very important to long term profit.

You know that sorta thing they used to do in GW1 by sending Christmas cards out and the like.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Time invested? We are talking about a video game, right?

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Time invested? We are talking about a video game, right?

Any amount of time spent on anything is time invested, no matter if you are having fun or not.

Your point? Besides wanting to tell us you are botting and want a ban?

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

yes. Players invest time/money into game to gain virtual goods/ entertainment.

e.g.
I invest time into learning to play the violin for personal gratification.
I invest time into learning russian for personal grat/ed*ification/potential monetary gains.

You know those people who win money playing video games? They invest time to learn it.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Actually, I like that idea a lot. I think I am gona do that same for a buddy of mine who is a bit kitten luck right now.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

The first thing that tipped me off that you aren’t well equipped for this kind of argument is using the term “entitled generation”. That aside, most people aren’t angry that new people are getting something for free (the core game) and the veteran players are not. The problem is that the new players are at least getting their $50 worth. The original price of the game was about $60 on release, and being out this long, obviously the price would have gone down. Crazy $10 weekends aside, this game would probably run about $35-$40 at most retailers. Add to that an expansion that so far looks to cover about 15-20% of the core game’s map (The Maguuma is not that big of an area), we can’t assume, even with the idea that the maps will be HUGE in a vertical kind of way, that this expac will really make the game that much bigger. A new class and some neat little things like hang gliders, maybe, but overall not a huge addition. Not even ONE character slot. At best we’re looking at a $30 expansion. MAYBE $40. (The expansion for GW1 was $35 at launch I believe, and had quite a lot of things worth paying for, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that this expansion will have a price adjustment based on some very mild inflation and the fact that we have a z axis) So, basically, $35-$40 for the core game and $35-$40 fore the expansion, that’d make the whole thing about $80.
BUT!!!The core game isn’t in question. It’s a GIFT! Therefore NO ONE should pay the $40 for the core. EVERYONE should pay $40 for JUST the expac. I’d be cool with that. Happier with $35, but I’d suck it up for another $5. But $50 is just too much. For anyone, new or old.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

(edited by Squee.7829)

The 2 Copy Movement

Unloveableone.6082

The first thing that tipped me off that you aren’t well equipped for this kind of argument is using the term “entitled generation”. That aside, most people aren’t angry that new people are getting something for free (the core game) and the veteran players are not. The problem is that the new players are at least getting their $50 worth. The original price of the game was about $60 on release, and being out this long, obviously the price would have gone down. Crazy $10 weekends aside, this game would probably run about $35-$40 at most retailers. Add to that an expansion that so far looks to cover about 15-20% of the core game’s map (The Maguuma is not that big of an area), we can’t assume, even with the idea that the maps will be HUGE in a vertical kind of way, that this expac will really make the game that much bigger. A new class and some neat little things like hang gliders, maybe, but overall not a huge addition. At best we’re looking at a $30 expansion. MAYBE $40. (The expansion for GW1 was $35 at launch I believe, and had quite a lot of things worth paying for, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that this expansion will have a price adjustment based on some very mild inflation and the fact that we have a z axis) So, basically, $35-$40 for the core game and $35-$40 fore the expansion, that’d make the whole thing about $80.
BUT!!!The core game isn’t in question. It’s a GIFT! Therefore NO ONE should pay the $40 for the core. EVERYONE should pay $40 for JUST the expac. I’d be cool with that. Happier with $35, but I’d suck it up for another $5. But $50 is just too much. For anyone, new or old.

I could scrounge around my house for 10 dollars in change.
Like…..if 10 dollars is a deal breaker for you, you may want to rethink your career choice my friend.

The 2 Copy Movement

Squee.7829

Even if you gave me the $10 I wouldn’t spend it on this expac. I can find so many better uses for $10.

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

The first thing that tipped me off that you aren’t well equipped for this kind of argument is using the term “entitled generation”. That aside, most people aren’t angry that new people are getting something for free (the core game) and the veteran players are not. The problem is that the new players are at least getting their $50 worth. The original price of the game was about $60 on release, and being out this long, obviously the price would have gone down. Crazy $10 weekends aside, this game would probably run about $35-$40 at most retailers. Add to that an expansion that so far looks to cover about 15-20% of the core game’s map (The Maguuma is not that big of an area), we can’t assume, even with the idea that the maps will be HUGE in a vertical kind of way, that this expac will really make the game that much bigger. A new class and some neat little things like hang gliders, maybe, but overall not a huge addition. At best we’re looking at a $30 expansion. MAYBE $40. (The expansion for GW1 was $35 at launch I believe, and had quite a lot of things worth paying for, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that this expansion will have a price adjustment based on some very mild inflation and the fact that we have a z axis) So, basically, $35-$40 for the core game and $35-$40 fore the expansion, that’d make the whole thing about $80.

Like…..if 10 dollars is a deal breaker for you, you may want to rethink your career choice my friend.

Yeah… I was thinking this as well…

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Even if you gave me the $10 I wouldn’t spend it on this expac. I can find so many better uses for $10.

Then don’t I’m going to though. Twice!

The 2 Copy Movement

Unloveableone.6082

You’ve had enough Big Macs friend.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

See, a lot of this reminds of the smaller firestorm from people with two legendaries losing their minds that they weren’t going to get anything special with the new wardrobe.

They aren’t kittened about what they’re getting. They’re kittened because they think someone else is getting more, which is honestly a VERY kittenty way to approach anything. Those people need to be ignored.

Yes

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

ANet do not work for charity – that is true. They got enough money from their product for these years as reports say. Did we have all that time filled with meaningfull content? I doubt it.But judging from financial report from NCsoft they got alot for their relaxed bugs filled/micro story additions/months long content void efforts I suppose. =)

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Poetraven.2693

Poetraven.2693

I think £35 is abit too much for an expansion plus new people should not get expansion for free where other people had to pay £20+ for the guild war 2 game then they expect old players to pay £35+ for the expansion where new players only pay £35. There should be an expansion only price( with no base game for old players at a discounted price and £35+ for new players or people who want an new account.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

You forgot the side that doesn’t care that new players are getting the game for free but feel that HoT is too little content to warrant a 50$ price tag and that the only reason it has a 50$ price tag is because they bundled the value of the core game into the price of the expansion. All these people want is good value for their money but so far they aren’t seeing it. Entitlement has nothing to do with it.

Pretty much this.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

The 2 Copy Movement

Julie Yann.5379

The problem is not the money, we all have the money to get HoT. The problem is that Anet hasn’t given us any indication that we will be getting our money’s worth. Hows is that so hard to understand. If you believe you are geting 50$ worth of stuff with HoT than good for you. Some of us value our hard earned money quite a bit more and aren’t willing to just throw it at a sub par xpac just because Anet said it was worth it.

The 2 Copy Movement

Unloveableone.6082

The problem is not the money, we all have the money to get HoT. The problem is that Anet hasn’t given us any indication that we will be getting our money’s worth. Hows is that so hard to understand. If you believe you are geting 50$ worth of stuff with HoT than good for you. Some of us value our hard earned money quite a bit more and aren’t willing to just throw it at a sub par xpac just because Anet said it was worth it.

Yeah I’m sure buddy. See you on launch day.

The 2 Copy Movement

Julie Yann.5379

Yeah I’m sure buddy. See you on launch day.

If I deem HoT not to be worth the price you won’t. I still have plenty of stuff to keep me busy with until it goes on sale or until Anet sweetens the deal.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: MikeE.5947

MikeE.5947

Hello friend

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Love how all the people happy with the pre purchase tell other they may want to change their career to earn more money….jeez! Get a grip will you!

But let’s do a quick reality check shall we?

You are having a pop at people who have valid reasons for not being happy with this. A lot of people have said they won’t buy in it’s current format because there’s very little info on what you will get for your money. It could be loads
More than we know or it could be very little. So we hold out on paying up front for it until we know for sure.

Yet the people who are having a pop at us, are the people who are paying for ultimate edition when they don’t even know what they are getting for their money.

So which decision out of:

1. Waiting til more info comes out or
2. Buying it without knowing what you are going to get

Is the most intelligent and educated decision?

Attack us all you like, but I know I’m not the one who has made the least intelligent and educated decision.

“You can only kick a dog so many times, before it bites you back”

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Why don’t we pair up…
1) People who think the expansion cost is too high
2) People who want to buy 2+ copies to support Arenanet

Seems everyone would come out a winner.
So who will be the first to upgrade my account? ^____^

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

• WALL OF TEXT CRIT’S YOU FOR 100000000K DMG

Excactly Unlovebleone.

Sounds like some kids need to get a job while attending UNIV instead of racking up those Student Loans and complaining about $10 when they spend 20+hrs a week gaming…..

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Did Joe Schmoe get the past 2 years of free gametime and all the memories you may have gotten? This isn’t an Apples to Apples comparison. Joe Schmoe missed out on Season 1 and has to pay for Season 2.

Joe Schmoe missed out because he chose not to buy the game when the veteran player did. It was his choice.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’ve got a deal for you. Ocean front property in Arizona. Now here’s what I’ll do for you. Two, yes, you heard me, TWO at a special price. How special you ask? Very special. Cheaper than anyone else that’s for sure.

Sure some may protest my price is too high, but you’re no fool. You’ll be laughing away sipping the finest Absinthe brewed this side of the Mississippi with your toes in the sand.

Heck, pre-order sight unseen and I’ll even throw in daily sunsets, warm sun, and occasional pleasant drizzle of rain. I don’t think it could be any more enticing if I shook a stick at it. No Siree.

Arizona ocean front property…get it for yourself, your wife, your sister, your brother, your kids, your father, and your mother. At this price heck buy one for Jimbo down the street. Nothing like having good neighbors while you sitting on ocean front property in Arizona.

Serenity now~Insanity later

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

You know they caved in some cases and refunded people legendary weapons of their choice… the more you know.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

And no-one cares about stingy customers that wouldn’t benefit the company anyway.

Also “correct marketing” is acutally just “correct ways to exploit customers without them noticing”. Those F2P games do this better, gaining way more than GW2 every could have been because they know how to suck customers money without them noticing they’re being exploited. Marketing is just a way to exploit stupid common consumers who have no idea how much they actually spend.

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I think it’s a fair deal for a new player. However, as a vet, I don’t want another copy of the base game. I want the xpac and another character slot, which isn’t currently an option (at a fair and reasonable price).

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

3 copies bought in my house… I wonder how many copies ANet sold in the first 24 hours?

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Their marketing was just fine. In fact, so many of us tried to buy the game simultaneously, that we broke the in-game shopping server. Customer Support had to have me log into the website, and buy it from there instead.

HoT Ultimate was priced so good, I couldn’t hit the Buy Button fast enough.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

That’s awesome you like the game. Better buy a lot of copies as not many people share your zealousness. If you don’t believe me, take a look at E3 where Colin was practically ushered off the stage by the host.

The 2 Copy Movement

Unloveableone.6082

That’s awesome you like the game. Better buy a lot of copies as not many people share your zealousness. If you don’t believe me, take a look at E3 where Colin was practically ushered off the stage by the host.

You’re like one of those people that sees something and thinks its one thing even though it’s nowhere near what it really is.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Guys $50 is the price of the expansion only those who pre-purchase get the the core game from free. Those who pre-order aren’t paying for the the core gw2 game.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

The 2 Copy Movement

Squee.7829

No one is paying for the price of the core game. No one. It’s free. That’s one of the points these obvious trolls who make assumptions about people’s incomes and lives are trying to make. They’re just paying $50 for what so far appears to be about $20 worth of content. That’s the part they’re not getting. Or they are getting and just trying to tell everyone what we think our money should be worth.

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

I am totally on board! Buying my second copy of HoT right now.

The 2 Copy Movement

Julie Yann.5379

Guys $50 is the price of the expansion only those who pre-purchase get the the core game from free. Those who pre-order aren’t paying for the the core gw2 game.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged

Do you really believe that Anet is going to start charging new players for both the core game and expac once HoT launches? the answer is No. After launch people will still be getting the same deal they are getting now. This is all part of the hype to trick the impulse buyers into forking out some cash for something that essentially doesn’t exist yet.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

So people who feel the product is too expensive are now the ‘entitled generation’? Wow . . . just wow. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

The 2 Copy Movement

MAGpie.7962

Let this not die. Show you support the game. Show you do not support or agree with the behaviors of a very very vocal and miss-mannered few. Sigh-up now, and get what you know will be worth it!

The 2 Copy Movement

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

It’s almost like you actually believe yourself to be better than them. You said it yourself, they are on one extreme, and you are on the other. Extremes are irrational, no matter what side they’re on.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)