The Base Game Is Free!

The Base Game Is Free!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: grayskull.2367

grayskull.2367

how hard is it to see that you are not paying for the base game it is a completely free extra.
There is no point what soever for Anet to trying and sell the base game now. Especially with Heart of thorns just around the corner its not a bundle pack it a freebie thrown in.

Am i a little disappointed that you don’t get a free character slot with each level of the X-pack you bet, but will i let this stop me from buying HoT, not a chance.

I have the Ultimate bundle under my belt and i have not looked back.

(edited by grayskull.2367)

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

Fine, but for 45€ what we’ve been shown of HoT so far isn’t worth it. For a new player it is, sure, since you get the base game “for free”. For me it’s 45€ for dubious amount of content. No, I’ll wait thank you very much.

Also, why should I want to pay you in advance of any kind of release window and for the “privilege” of testing your beta for you? Get real, anet (and all the other devs doing this stupid stuff).

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

by “base game is free”, that also means they pay the same price as vets but also have 5 character slots >=).

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Robert Devine.3087

Robert Devine.3087

Fine, but for 45€ what we’ve been shown of HoT so far isn’t worth it. For a new player it is, sure, since you get the base game “for free”. For me it’s 45€ for dubious amount of content. No, I’ll wait thank you very much.

Also, why should I want to pay you in advance of any kind of release window and for the “privilege” of testing your beta for you? Get real, anet (and all the other devs doing this stupid stuff).

Lol

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

if the base game is free then give a key to all the ones who buy hot so the get a second account without hot if they already own it.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

Did you guys born yesterday?

Majority of MMOs have always given ALL previous expansios for free with new expansion coming out. Only latest title carries any business value.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Did you guys born yesterday?

Majority of MMOs have always given ALL previous expansios for free with new expansion coming out. Only latest title carries any business value.

at least the next one should come with new character slot , no? what is it for them to lose to give a single character slot for this much money paid to an expansion that costs about as much as the base game. Don’t know about you, but I usually don’t defend people that ripped me off.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

If the base game is free, where is my extra account?

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Let’s see…

The Core game was $39.99 yesterday

The Core game + HoT is $49.99 today.

The expansion is $10.00.

Players that already bought into this that already had accounts either failed basic Math in school or are fools that deserve to be parted from their money.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s not free, they just want you to believe it’s free.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

how hard is it to see that you are not paying for the base game it is a completely free extra.

Yeah, a “free” extra, to obtain which you need to pay 45 euro.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not free if you don’t actually get a base game.

Old players will get an upgrade to their accounts to add the expansion and any pixels/gems. They don’t get an extra account.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/94582027
“Once your purchase is complete, your account will be upgraded the next time you log in to Guild Wars 2. You should see your title immediately after this login. Within a few hours, you’ll get an in-game mail message with any bonus items included in the edition you purchased.”

There is no free base game, unless you are a new buyer or if you buy it separate from your old account which means your old account doesn’t have access to the expansion.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

With that 50$ you may enjoy playing your favorite game for next 3000 hours. This is cheaper than empty bottles.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

Oh base game is free Nice. Where can I register 5 free accounts? I assume GW2 will be F2P then. Oh wait. Base game isn’t free after all.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

free only if you get the expansion, which doesn’t translate for free on its own.
the supermarket has a sale where the second tuna can I buy is free, can I just buy the second one and not the first?
please stop with this complaint, it’s ridiculous.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Where can I buy that free thing? I could use a few laurel farming accounts.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Free? Where can i sign up for just the “free” base game? Luckily most people are not so gullible at marketing 101 : There’s no such thing as a free lunch

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

Everyone who wants the core game free, pre purchase HoT and there you go.

The new player is not gaining anything, Anet is nice enough to offer the complimentary core game for free with pre-purchase. The game is roughly worth ($10) at lowest selling point and you need to consider depreciation for the game after 3 years!

All in all the X-pack is 50$. Its fair to question the value, but it ends there. The core value of the game has not been included in the $50.

Xscape

(edited by evoRobot.4019)

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

$50 for three years of content and people QQ
$50 from now until the next expac and this level of response is shocking I’d say wait a couple months until a price drop but Drama is obviously your target. I’d say try another MMO but I’m sure they’d have a heart attack seeing what other companies do.

There gonna pre-order or buy the game regardless and start a train of Drama from one end of Tyria to the other. Those who have decided to skip the next expac or simply wait a couple months after release have obviously already committed to this and thus wouldn’t post on these boards with there Drama.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

For free with purchase of HoT. Big difference. The core game is not going to disappear. You still have to level there to get to 80 before wandering into HoT so the core game still has value.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

Players that already bought into this that already had accounts either failed basic Math in school or are fools that deserve to be parted from their money.

as a wise man once said. . .

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

The Base Game Is Free!

Just a flesh wound.3589

The new player is not gaining anything, Anet is nice enough to offer the complimentary core game for free with pre-purchase. The game is roughly worth ($10) at lowest selling point and you need to consider depreciation for the game after 3 years!

All in all the X-pack is 50$. Its fair to question the value, but it ends there. The core value of the game has not been included in the $50.

Yeah, the core game is only 31 maps, 24 dungeons, a couple thousand armor and weapon skins, 5 races, 8 professions and 5 character slots. That’s nothing to the value the expansion offers with its one region, one profession, and the elite specializations.

(Full disclosure: Some sarcasm was harmed in the making of this post).

ANet may give it to you.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Yeah this is a great deal, I don’t understand why people can’t see it. You sign up for a new account and get the original game for free and you get HoT at $50 starting. That’s a great value – not including the better versions.

The Base Game Is Free!

Linken.6345

free only if you get the expansion, which doesn’t translate for free on its own.
the supermarket has a sale where the second tuna can I buy is free, can I just buy the second one and not the first?

Im sorry I see here you already have a tuna at home so your second tuna is now impounded and you still have to pay the full price on the first tuna

The Base Game Is Free!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah this is a great deal, I don’t understand why people can’t see it. You sign up for a new account and get the original game for free and you get HoT at $50 starting. That’s a great value – not including the better versions.

Except, I want my old, original account and the chars I’ve been playing on for the last 3 years with all the titles and skins from this game and the Hall of Monuments to take to the expansion. I don’t want some bare bones account to level new chars on to take there.

ANet may give it to you.

The Base Game Is Free!

Linken.6345

if the core game s roughly worths 10 bucks then give veterans and expansion for 40 bucks why is it so hard to do?

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

Lets see

Yesterday HoT wasnt here

Today it is.

Proving that the Price for the Base game would of Dropped immediately.

Buy a Iphone 6… Garuntee the day Iphone 7 is released Iphone 6 will drop in price, Just cause when it was the NEWEST thing it was £39 doesnt mean when its Old and worthless it’d cost the same thing

£39 for base game now would be a Rip off.

Dont get the Complaints.

I paid full £80, to me…. Thats for Dragonhunter, Anything else Free Bonus.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Doas.9821

Doas.9821

Umm i just want the expansion. i dont need the base game because, well, i already have it. id like to see the expansion sold separately with the addons or whatever. i wouldnt mind buying it, i dont know, 30 bucks or something, but i just dont want the base game.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

by “base game is free”, that also means they pay the same price as vets but also have 5 character slots >=).

But… you have 5 character slots.
So?
Because theirs aren’t filled yet, that means something?
They aren’t getting an extra 5 slots. They are getting the same 5 slots you already have.
This argument makes zero sense to me. Nothing anyone has said can make it make sense. I’ve been reading the forums on this for 18Hrs or so, give or take. It still makes Zero Sense
You. Have. Five. Slots. So will they.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The base game isn’t free.

Since the base game is standalone, why can’t I just download that and play it for its content first, and not pay $50 like every other veteran player?

No, the base game isn’t free, because there isn’t a “base game” that’s free an independent of HoT. ANet is just including the expansion as part of its “base game” and is charging everyone $50 to play HoT.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

For those who is saying that the game has depreciate quite a bit in 3 years of service then please join the petition for it to be seperated out of the bundle then we can see how “free” or “cheap” or “depreciated” the original game would be and i think that would solve the issue most people have been complaining as well.

Well i for 1 would love to grab multiple core base game at 4.99 each ^^
Even after all the thread out today, some people still doesn’t get the point that bundling the base game together with HoT doesn’t make it free or low value. It’s just a buy 1 free 1 marketing strategy

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Dakunaito.9602

Dakunaito.9602

“The core value of the game has not been included in the $50” as it seems you got the bait. i feel sorry for you. i’ll quote you this and i hope you figure out the trick: "Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

Players that already bought into this that already had accounts either failed basic Math in school or are fools that deserve to be parted from their money."

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Salonikios.3154

Salonikios.3154

I have put 60 Euros towards the FREE edition of the DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION of the BASE GAME……just saying……
+like 350 Euros in gems in total over a span of 3 years….and i consider myself a loyal customer because i like gw2 alot….

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

Except, I want my old, original account and the chars I’ve been playing on for the last 3 years with all the titles and skins from this game and the Hall of Monuments to take to the expansion. I don’t want some bare bones account to level new chars on to take there.

If you insist on playing the game on your older, used account they allow you to do that. You don’t need to play on a fresh account, you can buy the expansion and use it on your old account.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Draycon.1369

Draycon.1369

So i why isn’t arenanet giving us another copy of the game when we purchase one of the packs ? just because i already have an account i am not entitled to the same advantages that other people that don’t play gw2 have ?
I feel like we deserve to get the expansion pack and a code for the regular game just like anyone else without an account would get.

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

@Draycon: you can, read the post above yours.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Garuna.1593

Garuna.1593

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

I feel sorry for those who bought it recently,now they have to spend more $50
In this way they forces you to pay more $39 again

The Base Game Is Free!

Just a flesh wound.3589

So i why isn’t arenanet giving us another copy of the game when we purchase one of the packs ? just because i already have an account i am not entitled to the same advantages that other people that don’t play gw2 have ?
I feel like we deserve to get the expansion pack and a code for the regular game just like anyone else without an account would get.

@Draycon: you can, read the post above yours.

What IIvIIozzie means is, you can get a new account and it will have the expansion. However your old account will not have access to the new maps, the mastery system, the new elite specializations, the new Legendaries, or the new profession, so playing on it will not progress your old chars. Nor can it help claim a guild hall in the new areas. In exchange for this, your new account won’t have access to all the goodies that your old account has accumulated from since you started playing or the Hall of Monuments titles or skins if you are a Guild Wars 1 player. He thinks this is a good idea. /shrug. And maybe for him it is. It’s a good deal if you’re not attached in any way to your old account, your old chars and the progress you have made on it.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

The supermarket. Good metaphor.

Patron A buys a can of tuna on Monday.

On Wednesday the market puts up a Buy One, Get One on cans of tuna.

Patron B gets the BOGO on Wednesday, and gets two cans of tuna for the price of one.

Supermarket then tells Patron A that they can get the second can of tuna, but has to pay the same price as Patron B, and won’t qualify for the original can of tuna, and that the second can is just “added” to the first.

In this case, Patron A has paid double what Patron B did for the same amount.

In what world do you live in that this would fly, either ethically or legally?

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

I feel sorry for those who bought it recently,now they have to spend more $50
In this way they forces you to pay more $39 again

Actually those that bought the core game within the last 30 days can get a refund ($39.99) and then pay $49.99 ($10.00 extra for the expansion) for the basic bundle.

They lose up to 30 days of play time, but they get the expansion for $10.00 just like new players.

We veterans are the ones getting the shaft having to pay $49.99 for the expansion.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Izikeo.3287

Izikeo.3287

Lets all QQ about how xpac is so expensive? Lets really average this out.

In my state MINIMUM wage is right around 7.50 – 7.95. So lets be generous, 8 dollars.

Now in most cases you work a minimum of 28 hour week in a part time job.

So $49 / $8 is 6.125. So in more or less than one days work time you’d have paid for a copy of guild wars 2 regardless whether its upgrade or not.

Now lets really do the math here.

In my state in the time of release for Guild Wars (see wiki reference at bottom) it was released in 2005. Being generous in my state the minimum wage was roughly $5.

Now as many of you have stated the guild wars expansion was $30. 30 / 5 is 6.

So essentially you are paying $0.13 more now for the expac than you were when guild wars 1 expac was released. A whole 13 USD CENTS

DO i think it should come with an additional character slot? No.

90% chance a lot of you are veterans and already have expanded your character list. If you are new player then obviously you already have a free character space.

Are you part of the 90%? Do you not have any character slots available? Do what everyone else does buy a character slot and make a revenant if that’s not an option delete a character. Many of you claim that you’ve spent money on gems before, why not do it again?

Seriously if you think the game is not worth upgrading for $49 dollars or less than one days work, then you ARE part of the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

@fleshwound: what you don’t mention is that you are free to purchase the HoT and attach it to your old account. They will allow you to do that. You don’t have to add it to a brand new account.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

There is no point what soever for Anet to trying and sell the base game now. Especially with Heart of thorns just around the corner its not a bundle pack it a freebie thrown in.

Am i a little disappointed that you don’t get a free character slot with each level of the X-pack you bet, but will i let this stop me from buying HoT, not a chance.

I have the Ultimate bundle under my belt and i have not looked back.

So you have 2 copys of the core game? No you don’t? It’s not free then is it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

The Base Game Is Free!

Just a flesh wound.3589

@fleshwound: what you don’t mention is that you are free to purchase the HoT and attach it to your old account. They will allow you to do that. You don’t have to add it to a brand new account.

Yes. Everyone knows that. I was commenting on you thinking it is a good idea to not upgrade an old account, that was worked so hard’ on, but start over with a new account and have the expansion on it.

ANet may give it to you.

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

It isn’t like your old, used account disappears. You can always go back to play on it.

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

Another point I’d like to make is that people are complaining they don’t get a single free character slot. When you purchase HoT on a new account you get FIVE free character slots.

The Base Game Is Free!

Just a flesh wound.3589

It isn’t like your old, used account disappears. You can always go back to play on it.

You can not progress the characters anymore if you don’t have the expansion. They will not have access to the mastery system. The new Legendaries. The elite specializations. The personal story. The rewards from the personal story such as new armors. All out of reach. Inaccessible.

Your idea is only good for those who don’t care about their old accounts and progressing it. I’ve spent years progressing my old account and my old chars. I don’t want to stop it dead and have them turn into farming chars, since there will be nothing else they can do.

ANet may give it to you.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

That is pretty much the way I see it. When you compare the amount of content you got when you bought the game at launch for 60$ to the amount of content being added for $50 xpac, how can anybody in their right mind think it is a good deal?

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

The Base Game Is Free!

IIvIIozzie.9250

They are adding mastery systems to the core game so you’ll likely get some of those, absolutely free. They are already giving you skill changes, specializations (save elite) , wvw map, stronghold all free. new armors and weapons aren’t very important because there is no more progression in these area’s, only skins. I think you are putting your old account on a pedestal.

The Base Game Is Free!

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Let’s see…

The expansion is $10.00.

Yes, and $10 is about what it will sell for after the dust settles.