The Charr and the other 'cute' races.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It’s the only beast race in any MMO I’ve played that was done right… and then the game got live, not enough people felt like I do so the Charr race as a whole got left twisting in the wind to become second class citizen to the devs who created them. Now they are mostly a joke race with goofy 80s pink or cyan Glam Metal band hair cuts.

Yes, I’m a little salty

I actually see the hair styles and colors as a natural outgrowth of the Iron Legon’s drive for innovation. Someone comes up with some new dye or styling gel, and it spreads like wildfire. If you went to Blood or Ash Legion homelands, I doubt you’d see anywhere near that level of it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

I actually rolled a charr because I liked the all 4’s running animation o.o

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

It’s because nothing fits Charr right and because they’re hunchbacks. Fix these things and you’d have more Charr players. Tho can just force people to reroll to Charr and all under played races, justice for everyone!

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I think there are relatively strong correlations where a regular player starting the game for the first time tries to pick a race and class that they most associate with or is the “easiest” to comprehend. This would usually be a human as a warrior-type class. It’s almost unavoidable, unless you literally don’t have humans or the warrior archetype in your game; the first is relatively easy (though uncommon) and the second is near impossible.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I think there are relatively strong correlations where a regular player starting the game for the first time tries to pick a race and class that they most associate with or is the “easiest” to comprehend. This would usually be a human as a warrior-type class. It’s almost unavoidable, unless you literally don’t have humans or the warrior archetype in your game; the first is relatively easy (though uncommon) and the second is near impossible.

You, sir and/or madam, have hit on a very intriguing idea for science! Would that I could make this experimental, humanless MMO.

(Oh, and Charr. Yay for Charr.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

And there I was rolling Charr necromancer for my first character. I must be some sort of freak.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

And there I was rolling Charr necromancer for my first character. I must be some sort of freak.

Or a furry? j/k

My first character was a Charr warrior. Then I rolled an Asura ele and learned I like running about as a little gremlin and he’s been my main. I ended up liking the Charr and Asura a lot more than similar races in other MMOs and are my favorite races in GW2. Charr are very eye-catching, built logically and at the same time aesthetically pleasing (I dislike when they make an entire race needlessly bulky with stout legs and elongated beefed up arms; the Charr can be bulky but they can also be sleek). Asura aren’t some cutesy mini-people that are child like or odd ugly deformed-looking monsters, they can be either (really dislike how most your shortie races are either all child-like cute or all stub-legged, big-nosed ugly things) and that helps give each more distinct and personal appearances…and their sharp triangle teeth are scary yet cute (I’m sure the japanese have some sort of term for this).

But yeah, love the Charr and Asura. And I’m the biggest fan of female Charr 0_o

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I main an Asura, but my second character, and only other level 80, is a Charr. I really tried to make him look like a Guild Wars 1 Charr, but was only moderately successful.

Attachments:

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

All my heavies are chaars and I have 2 of each classes (PVE & WVW).
As soon of HoT is out I will have 2 more as Rev.

Posted by: Athiena Jade.6053

Athiena Jade.6053

I have one Charr, but unsure if I will keep her. She’s a poor low level Ranger who I play when I just want to play but not deal with higher level stories and the like. That said, I have NO human characters minus one that is simply a name holder for my Rev when that comes out. All the rest of my characters are Norn (love the starting area, story, and lore) and Sylvari (again I love the story and lore).

Asura grate on my nerves for some reason, just really don’t like the story/personalities. Humans are just so… boring. The only game I have ever played a Human in is Everquest but that was because the Monk class was limited to only two races and the other one had a lot of Cons to it. So Human it was lol.

Posted by: Supreme.7352

Supreme.7352

Charr warrior greatsword 5 is the best reason to play charr.

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

I love everything about the Charr, from the way the character stands to the way they run on all fours. I only really dislike the absolute lack of armor choices that don’t clip or make them look goofy… and let’s not even mention the hair style “non” choices ( all fatal flaws for a game that touts itself as having no endgame but cosmetics )

I have charr: Warrior, Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Necromancer and Mesmer (female a that)

It’s the only beast race in any MMO I’ve played that was done right… and then the game got live, not enough people felt like I do so the Charr race as a whole got left twisting in the wind to become second class citizen to the devs who created them. Now they are mostly a joke race with goofy 80s pink or cyan Glam Metal band hair cuts.

Yes, I’m a little salty

I also dislike the lack of varity, but to be honest, coming up with creative Charr hairstyles and clothing must be really challenging.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Charr are so big there would be no room for us all if every one played Charr.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I love everything about the Charr, from the way the character stands to the way they run on all fours. I only really dislike the absolute lack of armor choices that don’t clip or make them look goofy… and let’s not even mention the hair style “non” choices ( all fatal flaws for a game that touts itself as having no endgame but cosmetics )

I have charr: Warrior, Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Necromancer and Mesmer (female a that)

Yes, I’m a little salty

I also dislike the lack of varity, but to be honest, coming up with creative Charr hairstyles and clothing must be really challenging.

oh it is… specially if you dont want to loose the racial feel. I just wish they would make more armor (SKINS) that look like the concept arts of the charr.

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

In my experience, that alone can be absolutly biased to a total sample, the less population of GW2 players, the higher the charr % of the population go.

I supose its about that we have more roleplayers than most races (like humans that represent a huge % of the population) and that charrs are more unique and arent in any other MMO or game, i mean you can play as an humans everywhere, specially in real life.

Plus our zones and culture are more unique than humans and mostly any race.

Long life tothe Charrs!.

Pd: Give us back race subforum.

Speak for yourself. I’m a Lizardian and I can’t play as a human in real life. Thankfully I can live out my fantasy of being a male runway model in Guild Wars 2. Inside my cold-blooded scaly exterior yearns a desire to be pretty.

Also, I loved that video… but I don’t think the patrons of this forum can handle South Park like satire… though they might relate to the plight of that poor feminist with a Liberal Arts degree who couldn’t get a STEM field job in the SJW video.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

In my experience, that alone can be absolutly biased to a total sample, the less population of GW2 players, the higher the charr % of the population go.

I supose its about that we have more roleplayers than most races (like humans that represent a huge % of the population) and that charrs are more unique and arent in any other MMO or game, i mean you can play as an humans everywhere, specially in real life.

Long life tothe Charrs!.

Speak for yourself. I’m a Lizardian and I can’t play as a human in real life. Thankfully I can live out my fantasy of being a male runway model in Guild Wars 2. Inside my cold-blooded scaly exterior yearns a desire to be pretty.

Also, I loved that video… but I don’t think the patrons of this forum can handle South Park like satire… though they might relate to the plight of that poor feminist with a Liberal Arts degree who couldn’t get a STEM field job in the SJW video.

what are you doing playing GW2, Queen Elizabeth? shouldn’t you be busy controlling the world’s media with Barack Obama: King of the Mole-People, and Darklord Valdimir Putin?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Long life tothe Charrs!.

what are you doing playing GW2, Queen Elizabeth? shouldn’t you be busy controlling the world’s media with Barack Obama: King of the Mole-People, and Darklord Valdimir Putin?

Illuminati confirmed…

Attachments:

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

GW1 player here. I rolled a charr because of Pyre Fierceshot. Bonus, I got the everlasting tonic on my then human ranger.

I don’t get the really weird commentary from people with regards to charr and the drama from GW1. That was the point.

I mean if people are feeling such a very strong connection to the strife there, the writers did an absolutely fantastic job.

But really though, it’s a game. It’s okay to look at the story from different character perspectives and respect where both are coming from.

Humans and charr both have valid arguments. Both races did each other wrong in the past.

That’s war. And it’s ended. And again, it’s a game. Chill. Some of the more enthusiastic people who get into this kinda worry me. lol

When GW2 was coming and charr were a confirmed race, it was no contest.

They were awesome villains and it was amazing watching them change into what they are now. In GW1 you were literally a part of that revolution.

You began to see they weren’t all mindless zerglings clinging to a false faith.

My days of playing a single character were over. I have two mains now. My human descendant from GW1 lore, and my charr ranger.

I play the both of them fairly exclusively about 50/50. So, yeah. Not all GW1 players are (that) crazy.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

My Charr is a thief so he can call out 2 more Charr buddies sometimes too. Then again from time to time he goes in to hide mode so he can not be seen. I have no problem playing Charr chars although the running on all 4s can be annoying at first. Easy fix for that tho, strike with your weapon every 10 secs and he will stay upright.

I admit tho, the title to this thread is a bit of a ??? Char cute!? Lol…..

Edit: Oh and the slobbering salvia speech gets annoying also…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I actually like ruuning on four paws more… the two-legged running of the charr looks kind of forced and uncomfortale to me. They feel much less powerful to me when running upright.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I actually like ruuning on four paws more… the two-legged running of the charr looks kind of forced and uncomfortale to me. They feel much less powerful to me when running upright.

I have a funny feeling however this is one of the main reasons why they wont add capes. Just imagine the issues Charr running on all 4s would have with capes. Then again it could kind of give that superman feeling!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Long life tothe Charrs!.

Actually, I am on vacation. The Secret Council was very pleased with how I manipulated the Italians into bankrupting themselves which may lead to the collapse of the Eurozone. I’m spending my days playing GW2 and impregnating human women in Florida.

Also… common mistake… Barry is actually a Crab Person… Our candidate was Hillary… thankfully the Crab people are doing a pretty good job of undermining American strength even without us pulling his strings. We are not making the same mistake again however… Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, and Donald Trump are all Lizardians.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Scolix.4879

Scolix.4879

I only play charr i just don’t find humans or any other race really interesting.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It’s cuz they forgot the option to make them stand upright. I was looking forward to making one that was like the Shaman types in GW1 but I wasn’t allowed.

They did make them stand more upright than the gw1 version. Look at a picture of Pyre Fierceshot as compared to a gw2 charr. The gw2 charr is much more upright, about midway between the Shaman type and the non caster type.

Pyre wasn’t one of the GW1 Charr who stood upright. There were 2 different types of Charr, as discussed many times on these forums. Originally people thought there’d be an option for which type in GW2.

The only problem then would be the homogenisation of the races. With such an option you’d have humans, leave-y humans, big humans, little humans, and furry humans. I’d rather prefer a large variety of shapes myself (i.e. please ANet give us some more non-human races!). But I guess it’s really just a personal preference.

the charr in GW1 were also awesome. i think they had to be watered down to be a playable race and to fit in the plot with them working together with everyone inside the pact.

I’m hoping if we get the Blood Legion Homeland we’ll see more mean, aggressive and militant Charr.

Charr, uuhhh:

• In every dungeon corner I get their stinky fell into my nose.
  • living in a metal scrapyard
  • worst polluters of Tyria
  • militaristic rivalitery from birth on
  • used weapons of mass-destruction against a peaceful city
  • mass-murderer and destructors of Ascalonian culture

It’s only the Iron Legion that live in a scrapyard, the As Legion Citadel is unknown and the Blood Legion Citadel is a fort (and of course the Flame Legion Citadel is a volcano). As to destroying Ascalonian culture… sorry but Ascalonian culture survived and thrived, so much so that Ascalonian culture completely destroyed the Krytan culture (and somehow made all the Krytans white…).

I dislike the magic snowflake wand that made them somehow the Industrial Power. In GW they didn’t even have trebs or any evidence of industry past forging of armor and weapons. Primitive, shamanistic Barbarians.

That was largely due to the Flame Legion being the primitive, shamanic, barbarian legion who ruled over the other legions.

Not to forget the lack of new horns and fur patterns.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Isnt that based on very old statistic numbers Anet released after game launch?

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Charr are my favorite race but it sucks only the cultural armor looks good.

the rest is a huge clipping mess that looks awful.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

CETheLucid.3964

As to destroying Ascalonian culture… sorry but Ascalonian culture survived and thrived, so much so that Ascalonian culture completely destroyed the Krytan culture (and somehow made all the Krytans white…).

The ladies like their men Ascalonian?

Divinity’s Reach is a huge melting pot of all the human ethnicities. Krytan, Ascalonian, Canthan, Elonian… something for everyone.

But yeah, Ascalonian heritage survived in Kryta thanks to Prince Rurik and the Flameseeker heroes of GW1.

The Krytan queen at present is also the current Regent of Ascalon, with regards to Ebonhawk. So. Yeah.

It’s just not an issue for anyone anymore beyond extremists like the separatists. Humanity at present is a giant hodge podge of everything humanity was.

Existential crisis will do that to a race.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

No one plays charr because of clipping problems and terrible lack of armor options.

CETheLucid.3964

No one plays charr because of clipping problems and terrible lack of armor options.

I play charr and I think I look pretty keen myself. You do have to experiment a bit. There are plenty of resources out there to help people nail down a good look.

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

The Charr are best played with mix and match armour. most sets clip somewhere but you can make some really good looking combos if you experiemt with mixing those parts which don’t clip.

Attachments:

(edited by Bathos.6341)

Endless Soul.5178

No one eh? The Charr player characters I see everywhere I go say otherwise.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Cute??? My Necro really want’s a diner appointment with you.

And please do not take the effort to prepare for a trip home.. A new focus was overdue…

Attachments:

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Endless Soul.5178

Please meet Thorsimund, my second character.

I created him specifically for doing dungeons and fractals with my guild. I never really cared for warriors, and I was conditioned to hate the Charr after 10 years of playing Guild Wars 1, so he didn’t really sit well with me at the start and I didn’t play him much unless doing things with the guild. But lately, he’s been growing on me and I’ve been taking him out into the world more often.

Attachments:

| Claara