The Great Champ Revamp

The Great Champ Revamp

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dietere.3476

Dietere.3476

In August 2013 most champion-level mobs were given a “champ bag” as a drop to reward players for killing them. This was done for 2 main reasons:

1- To reward players for taking the time and effort to kill a champion, an activity which wasn’t very rewarding prior to the patch.
2- To motivate players to explore the world a bit more to seek out champions for loot.

This patch led to the oh-so-controversial “champ trains,” which WILL NOT be discussed here.

Instead, I would like to propose how the update to champs SHOULD have gone…

STEP 1: Make champion mobs “named” monsters. (ex. Champion Rabbit -> Fluffy McNibbles [or something to that effect])
a. This would make champs more unique and could add a lot to the lore of Tyria. It could also create a lot of opportunities for unique skins and titles.

STEP 2: Use a wider variety of spawn methods:
a. Timed spawn (this is how most champs work now)
b. Forced spawn (they appear as part of a Dynamic Event or other activity)
c. Lottery spawn (they appear randomly, under specific conditions, or after a certain “place-holder” mob is killed)

STEP 3: Institute a “Monster Hunter” achievement track
a. Award achievement points for each first-time champ kill (small amount, maybe 1 pt per champ)
b. Have titles available for reaching certain numbers of killed champs (50, 100, etc.)
c. Award a “Monster Hunter Token” for killing a certain number of champs, or randomly as a drop from champ bags.

STEP 4: Create a “Monster Hunter” NPC Vendor
a. Redeem “Monster Hunter Tokens” for unique skins (one-time or account bound, either works)
b. He gives out a “bounty” that prompts you to go looking for a specific champ, the completion of which will result in small bonus reward (daily, unique for each account)

STEP 5: Discuss this idea.
Pros, Cons, etc. I understand and accept that there will be trolls here, but if we really want to see some improvements in our wonderful game, we have to be as constructive as possible. Have fun and be nice!

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Unique mobs. Yeah. At least this way, they would have an excuse to drop greens.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Dietere.3476

Dietere.3476

Unique mobs. Yeah. At least this way, they would have an excuse to drop greens.

Just like GW1! Maybe not BiS items, but unique skins are always desirable!

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Well, on a serious note, they did have non BiS greens in Factions and NF. Uniques are always fun. I have wanted more exotics for some time in the game. It seems like we have very few to pick from.

Now for events like the LS or Storyline, there’s no problem with “Champion Risen or Champion Aetherblade Scrub” or whatever…but for the constant world bosses, there should be unique names and unique weapons. With a very, very rare chance to drop. That would keep people farming different areas of the game I think.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Yes please. 15 char

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

ROUSED TO RAGE

All Champions have a new ability called Roused to Rage – for each unique player character that attacks them they gain 1 stack of this buff for 2 minutes, which provides a small amount of Power and Condition Damage and a moderate amount of Toughness. The buff may stack to 25 and dissipates while not in combat. Player controlled pets and minions to not contribute to RtR stacking.

(the two minute limit is so griefers who put one shot into the champ and then move on don’t leave a permanent stack.)

Champ farming just needs to scale faithfully to the number of number of players present. Make the fights more of a struggle when the kill is going to produce 28 champ lootbags instead of 3…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Only a very small, vocal minority on these forums find champ trains “controversial”, simply because they hate the idea that not everyone else buys into their specific special snowflake idea of how the game should be played. It would be amusing had it not reached the tragic levels it has of late.

It’s funny, people go on about “elitism” and yet it is those who hide behind a warped version of the “play how I want” mantra which are most likely to try and get other people and their playstyles nerfed or otherwise shafted. It is not enough for them to play how they want, we all must play how they want.

As for your idea, my two thoughts are -

1. It wouldn’t work for a variety of fundamental reasons.

2. It would be a far better idea had you suggested keeping the current system in place and adding additional named, random mobs which can drop “cool stuffz”. i.e. a system which would allow those who enjoy the trains/coffers to continue enjoying what they do and to add an element in for those that want to wander around looking for named mobs which can potentially get them nice skins.

The Great Champ Revamp

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well most of it seems good, the coins though would kinda make joining the train mandatory for those of us who like to collect skins, and I’m fine with trains as long as I don’t have to do them and they don’t bother me.