The High Cost of Fashion

The High Cost of Fashion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: serenitygirl.1967

serenitygirl.1967

The more I think about the new wardrobe system, the more sad it makes me. At first it sounded wonderful, and it would be, too… Were it not for the fact that every time you change out a full set of gear, it costs you about two dollars.

For someone who really enjoys RP, and switching their outfits all depending on the locale, occasion, or merest whim, this is a tragedy. If you want to dress warm for the chill of Shiverpeaks? Two bucks. …Wear something stylish for a night on the town? Two bucks. Change to some breezy beach-wear for an afternoon of swashbuckling? Two bucks.
Heaven forbid you wish to change your clothes 5-6 times a day. The only economical way to dress for RP is to ignore the fact that you’ll have a full closet of skins, and just stuff your inventory with the actual gear.

Someone newer to the game (such as myself) doesn’t have a bunch of transmutation crystals saved up. …And even if I did, if I changed my outfits as much as I liked, I’d run out quickly.

Now lets talk value.

Most games that allow you to alter the appearance of your gear, allow you to do so at no cost, or for a simple fee of in game currency. STO, SWTOR and TSW are free to play, and allow you to switch outfits for a small in game currency fee. WoW is (at the most) 15 bucks a month and has a small gold fee to switch gear.
GW2 charges you 10 bucks just to change the look of your outfit FIVE times.

Let that sink in. …Fifteen dollars for a months’ full game features (which just so happens to include UNLIMITED outfits changes for a pittance of in game gold)… Vs. Ten dollars JUST to change the look of your outfit five times.

…Now before you start with the, “Well just play WoW then!” rants, let me state that I just recently started playing GW2, and I think it is hands down, the most beautiful game I’ve ever played, and I’m very much enjoying it.
Doesn’t mean there’s not room for improvement.

I understand that game companies have staff to pay, and lights, and servers to keep running. But I think there’s a compromise between making a buck, and ransoming the RP community, and fashionistas like myself.

Might I suggest a “transmutation generator” or some such, that yields an unlimited number of transmutations for a period of thirty days from first activation? Say, for 1000 gems? …That, to me, would seem fair, and truly allow people to enjoy the changes they’ve made to the wardrobe.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

You can get a lot of this trans. charges via pvp

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

$10 with the current system gives:

800 gems

which in turn gives:

4x Transmute packs(lvl80)

which in turn gives:

4x 5 transmutes per pack

aka 20 TOTAL transmutes, which works out to 3 full armor transmutes with 2 transmutes left over

ANet is granting us some transmutes based upon PvP rank and we can also convert things like splitters and the lvl1-79 transmutes into the new system. The downside…is that PvE and PvP are now shared, which means, if you play MULTIPLE alts in PvP and you want your PvP look different from your PvE look…you’re going to be spending a minimum of 6 transmutes per character(I play 4 characters in PvP, so that’s 24 transmutes for armor alone…)

tl;dr: ANet is going to make bank

PS ANet: I would purchase an infinite transmuter for 4000 gems

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

If you change skins that often, you can consider to apply the skin in another set and wear it whatever you want for free.
Also, right now if you complete the map of any city (Rata Sum, Hoelbrak, etc) you get 3 transmutation stones, that after the update = 1 transmutation charge, I suggest go for it while you can.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

The High Cost of Fashion

serenitygirl.1967

Hmmm. Could have sworn I just saw 25 Transmutations Crystals on in The Gem Store for 800 gems. …Either way, the real life cost of transmutation for people who like to frequently switch their look is waaay too high.

Also. I loathe PvP. …Strictly a PvE person.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

My question is if transmutes (stones or charges themselves) will still be obtainable kinda like they are now. If you can still get them as rewards at a semi decent rate outside of direct purchase from the cash shop its fine. If they phase them out as rewards completely after the initial change over and force you to buy them with cash or by grinding gold its a bit more of a hassle.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Raistlin.5187

Raistlin.5187

I am pretty sure that after you pay the transmutation charge for a piece of armor/weapon that you can transmute it infinitely for free on your chars afterwards. One charge for one piece doesn’t sound that bad when you can get a bunch for free from map completion.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

The more I think about the new wardrobe system, the more sad it makes me. At first it sounded wonderful, and it would be, too… Were it not for the fact that every time you change out a full set of gear, it costs you about two dollars.

<snip>

Might I suggest a “transmutation generator” or some such, that yields an unlimited number of transmutations for a period of thirty days from first activation? Say, for 1000 gems? …That, to me, would seem fair, and truly allow people to enjoy the changes they’ve made to the wardrobe.

And how’s that different from today? If I want to change a full gear set, I need at least 6 transmutation crystals. In the new setup I’ll need at least 6 transmutation charges. And as 1 crystal = 1 charge, there’s absolutely 0 change in cost. Unless you’re below lvl80 because that’ll be 3 times more expensive in the new setup…

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

serenitygirl.1967, you stole the words of my mouth.

Arenanet, you SHOULD learn from DC Universe online about skins management. That game share “almost” the same policy and business model.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

You can get a lot of this trans. charges via pvp

Wait, only PvP? That’d be really unfair. ._.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Did I miss something, or can’t you still earn Transmute Stones (or Charges) via Map Completion? Heck, make an alt and explore the cities, that’s like… 18 charges each time you do it.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I am pretty sure that after you pay the transmutation charge for a piece of armor/weapon that you can transmute it infinitely for free on your chars afterwards. One charge for one piece doesn’t sound that bad when you can get a bunch for free from map completion.

Unfortunately this is not true. You can put the skin in the “Wardrobe” just by equipping, destroying, or salvaging it. But to apply it to some other armor costs a charge. Someone else said it best: This isn’t a Wardrobe, this is a streamlined and improved transmutation system.

So if you want to freely swap your look, you have to keep your bags as clogged as they are now or farm the hell out of charge sources or pay far more money than it’s worth for short RP sessions. None of which counts as fun, imo. I’ve had to readjust my thinking on this and set my mind to “well, at least now my alts who don’t have the look can get it. But I still can’t dungeon on my necromancer even though she’s my only alt in ascended because of all her boots and coats and gloves and skirts and and and …”

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Heres a solution for you.

Pay to unlock another 1 or 2 inventory bag slots, put your 6 costumes there, change at will free of charge any time you want.

I don’t think you get it but you don’t have to pay to change equipment, just to transmutate.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Eskarina Tigress.3785

Eskarina Tigress.3785

For someone who really enjoys RP, and switching their outfits all depending on the locale, occasion, or merest whim, this is a tragedy. If you want to dress warm for the chill of Shiverpeaks? Two bucks. …Wear something stylish for a night on the town? Two bucks. Change to some breezy beach-wear for an afternoon of swashbuckling? Two bucks.
Heaven forbid you wish to change your clothes 5-6 times a day. The only economical way to dress for RP is to ignore the fact that you’ll have a full closet of skins, and just stuff your inventory with the actual gear.

Someone newer to the game (such as myself) doesn’t have a bunch of transmutation crystals saved up. …And even if I did, if I changed my outfits as much as I liked, I’d run out quickly.

Now lets talk value.

Most games that allow you to alter the appearance of your gear, allow you to do so at no cost, or for a simple fee of in game currency. STO, SWTOR and TSW are free to play, and allow you to switch outfits for a small in game currency fee. WoW is (at the most) 15 bucks a month and has a small gold fee to switch gear.
GW2 charges you 10 bucks just to change the look of your outfit FIVE times.

Let that sink in. …Fifteen dollars for a months’ full game features (which just so happens to include UNLIMITED outfits changes for a pittance of in game gold)… Vs. Ten dollars JUST to change the look of your outfit five times.

…Now before you start with the, “Well just play WoW then!” rants, let me state that I just recently started playing GW2, and I think it is hands down, the most beautiful game I’ve ever played, and I’m very much enjoying it.
Doesn’t mean there’s not room for improvement.

I understand that game companies have staff to pay, and lights, and servers to keep running. But I think there’s a compromise between making a buck, and ransoming the RP community, and fashionistas like myself.

So tell me, how do you accomplish this now? Transmuting costs items now and you lose the Original armor so…I feel like I’m missing something how this is more expensive?

If you say “well, I have all these different armors I carry around” then guess what? You’ll still have those except now you can also apply that skin non-destructively to other armors if you so choose.

I really fail to see the problem, they’re not taking away your armors but adding them as skins in the wardrobe.

The High Cost of Fashion

serenitygirl.1967

Did I miss something, or can’t you still earn Transmute Stones (or Charges) via Map Completion? Heck, make an alt and explore the cities, that’s like… 18 charges each time you do it.

You get a stone for exploring a capitol. So… Divinity’s Reach, Rata Sum, Hoelbrok, and The Grove. That’s four stones, which after the update, will convert to 1 1/3 charges per each capitol.. Meaning if you explore all the capitols on four separate characters, you can can the appearance of your entire set of armor. …..Once.

I’d like to be able to switch out my armor 2-5 times a day, all depending on what zone I’m in. This is why I say, an unlimited transmutation generator, for a monthly fee, would be nice.

Yeah, as it stands, I’ll pry just save up and keep 3 different sets of armor in my bags. …But it’s silly to have to do that with such an elegant wardrobe system on the way. ..Or least, a wardrobe system that would be elegant, if not for the ridiculous need for transmutation charges.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Just keep your inventory clogged up with armor of different skins and you won’t have to pay to change.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The new system is nothing more than a more streamlined transmute system with one big advantage. All those one time event items, skins, awesome weapon appearances, and such you can now transmute onto every character you have without having to buy them again or acquire them again. The method for changing appearance of items hasn’t changed much. With the current system you need transmute stones/crystals. With the new system you use charges. So as an RP player that likes to change your looks not much has changed. You can either keep certain sets of armor and weapons in your bags/bank to switch up your looks for free or use charges which are the equivalent of transmute crystals.

For example I don’t really RP but I have sets of gear for dungeons, PvE, and WvW. They all look different. I keep them in my bags or bank and can use them free of charge, pun intended. If I suddenly I want my dungeon gear to look flame kissed like my PvE gear, great news! I don’t have to buy another flame kissed set from the gem store. I can use charges, the equivalent of transmute crystals now.

So as you can see, it hasn’t changed as much as you think. The term for the item that changes appearances changed from stones/crystals to charges. The major benefit is not needing to have multiples of the same skin to use them on alts if I want. With the current system if you want to transfer a skin to an alt it actually costs more. You have to transmute it onto a white item to make it account bound, then transmute it onto your alt. The new system eliminates that completely. Much more fashion friendly if you ask me.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

You get a stone for exploring a capitol. So… Divinity’s Reach, Rata Sum, Hoelbrok, and The Grove. That’s four stones, which after the update, will convert to 1 1/3 charges per each capitol.. Meaning if you explore all the capitols on four separate characters, you can can the appearance of your entire set of armor. …..Once.

I’d like to be able to switch out my armor 2-5 times a day, all depending on what zone I’m in. This is why I say, an unlimited transmutation generator, for a monthly fee, would be nice.

Yeah, as it stands, I’ll pry just save up and keep 3 different sets of armor in my bags. …But it’s silly to have to do that with such an elegant wardrobe system on the way. ..Or least, a wardrobe system that would be elegant, if not for the ridiculous need for transmutation charges.

Wasn’t aware you got 1/3 a charge for each stone you would have gotten before. That sucks. I’m willing to buy a permanent Transmog charge for 4,000 gems now. Or maybe they’ll add one in the Black Lion chests, like the permanent contracts.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I like Rift’s wardrobe system. In the hero panel, you have a completely separate tab for a wardrobe. You simply ‘equip’ whatever you want your character to look like without changing your stats at all. In that game, the plate armor wearers can equip any lower rated armor (so they can wear leather or cloth, as well). The end result is that your character is ‘wearing’ the normal gear with the stats you want, but looks like whatever is in the wardrobe. You can even have your character running around in their underwear but still have all their stats. So you can have your warrior look like a mage outfit and still be effective in combat. Oh, and the wardrobe tab has like 7 slots total (you have to unlock some via the in-game store but I think you have 3 by default).

Oh, and you switch between your wardrobe sets with a single click.

ArenaNet, get someone in your staff to play Rift for… 1 hour. That’s all you need to see how awesome that wardrobe system is. Your level 1 character can look like a max level character if you wanted it to.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

The High Cost of Fashion

serenitygirl.1967

So tell me, how do you accomplish this now? Transmuting costs items now and you lose the Original armor so…I feel like I’m missing something how this is more expensive?

If you say “well, I have all these different armors I carry around” then guess what? You’ll still have those except now you can also apply that skin non-destructively to other armors if you so choose.

I really fail to see the problem, they’re not taking away your armors but adding them as skins in the wardrobe.

I’m not saying they’re taking anything away. I agree, they’re creating a better system. …But it is still flawed in a way that the old (current) system is. ..It is flawed in as such that it is very costly to players who like to change the look of their armor on a whim.

The only remedy is to stuff your bags with the different armor pieces you wish to wear. …Which is funny, as they list one of the benefits of the new system as not having to fill your inventory with gear.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

I’d like to be able to switch out my armor 2-5 times a day, all depending on what zone I’m in.

Clearly the best solution for you is extra bag slots and invisible ones in them.

Now I find it a bit funny you mention SWTOR when character customisation is (or at least was) much much much worst there, I played it for six months and everyone looked the same, before they introduced the color sync you could look like a rainbow clown.
For the first 3 or do months everyone was getting on rakata gear and looked exactly the same, on the fleet the only difference you’d see was body volume, and since every race was a human or at best a face painted human, that was limited to just 4 different body types…

In GW2 there is much, much more choice to customize your character, spend enough time on the editor and you can come up with something very different, and when that’s done you can freely pick the color of your armor pieces and easily mix match them.
A walk around LA (or the Vigil keep now) or a stroll in WvW and you’ll hardly find 2 look alikes. Even when people wear a full armor set (like primevil) the race, weight, gender and coloring of the same armor ensures the diversity.
I honestly feel pretty unic walking around Tyria, and the crowd doesn’t trigger any deja vu either, just wished people didn’t settle for the pre set faces so much and put some time into it.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Enjoy free 2 play.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Carter.1034

Carter.1034

If you change skins that often, you can consider to apply the skin in another set and wear it whatever you want for free.
Also, right now if you complete the map of any city (Rata Sum, Hoelbrak, etc) you get 3 transmutation stones, that after the update = 1 transmutation charge, I suggest go for it while you can.

Actually, you get 3 stones each time you complete any explorable zone except for Southsun. I can complete Rata Sum in under 15 minutes. I use they BL key farming tactic where you make random alts just to delete them afterwards. Anet seems to just et it go on, so I highly highly doubt you’d get in trouble for exploiting.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

First of all, what method were you using before the wardrobe system was announced? If you’re just keeping a ton of sets in your inventory, then you can still do that after the wardrobe. The wardrobe feature won’t change anything for the worse.

Second of all, I’m pretty sure you just have to use a charge once for every item to unlock it in your wardrobe. Then you can transmute its appearance whenever you want.

The High Cost of Fashion

serenitygirl.1967

Enjoy free 2 play.

Again, I absolutely understand that Anet, or any company, needs to be able to pay it’s people, the rent, and keep the lights on. They’ve got to make their money somehow.

But with regard to transmutations, they’re using a system that is ridiculously over-priced, when compared to other games. I’m not asking for free transmutations. I’m asking for affordable, unlimited transmutations.

Seriously. It’s kinda crazy when one of the most successful MMO’s in history charges $15 a month for the whole game (unlimited transmog, and all), and GW2 charges $10 just to change the look of your outfit, a mere five times.

The High Cost of Fashion

serenitygirl.1967

First of all, what method were you using before the wardrobe system was announced? If you’re just keeping a ton of sets in your inventory, then you can still do that after the wardrobe. The wardrobe feature won’t change anything for the worse.

Second of all, I’m pretty sure you just have to use a charge once for every item to unlock it in your wardrobe. Then you can transmute its appearance whenever you want.

It is my understanding that you will need to use a single, transmutation charge every time you wish to change the appearance of an item. Whether you have unlocked the skin, or not.

If the system worked as you say, I would have no problem with it.

….Also, yes. I’m keeping sets in my bags. I’m not saying the new system is worse. Just saying it could still be better.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Just keep your inventory clogged up with armor of different skins and you won’t have to pay to change.

We were kinda expectin’ the wardrobe would solve that problem.

I’m still holding out hope that we can at least pay to unlock some approximation of cosmetic tabs/pages. Wouldn’t expect to get away from the transmutation entirely, but having two or three looks to switch between instantly (and freely) would make a hell of a difference.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

It would be great if it worked that way, but sadly it doesn’t.

The High Cost of Fashion

Awbee.8405

Clearly the best solution for you is extra bag slots and invisible ones in them.

Not an option as long as bag slots are not account-bound. I’m going on 9 alts, I’m not going to buy additional bag slots for each of them … so I’m not buying bag slots at all.

The High Cost of Fashion

Awbee.8405

Right now, I’m just not using the transmutation system at all, because it’s destructive.

After the patch, I will use it to create one “look” for all my characters, but that will be it. Which is pretty sad for a game built on look diversity, considering I’d like to change my looks on a frequent basis and I can do that in other games, for free.

No, that is the system we’re asking for.

Or in other words:

This new system is of course better than the old one. The old one was unusable in my opinion. It gets an F from me. The new one gets a D+ — at least it’s not destructive, and the account bound thing is very nice, but it still doesn’t allow for the kind of customization I’d wish for, especially in a game where cosmetics matter so much.

(edited by Awbee.8405)

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Will you still be able to earn transmutation stones through stuff like map completion and convert them to charges, or will the gem store be the ONLY place to get these charges?

The charge system is a little confusing. Will it still be one charge per armor piece or will some pieces cost multiple charges?

(edited by Seabreeze.8437)

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: darkkinder.7926

darkkinder.7926

I like Rift’s wardrobe system. In the hero panel, you have a completely separate tab for a wardrobe. You simply ‘equip’ whatever you want your character to look like without changing your stats at all. In that game, the plate armor wearers can equip any lower rated armor (so they can wear leather or cloth, as well). The end result is that your character is ‘wearing’ the normal gear with the stats you want, but looks like whatever is in the wardrobe. You can even have your character running around in their underwear but still have all their stats. So you can have your warrior look like a mage outfit and still be effective in combat. Oh, and the wardrobe tab has like 7 slots total (you have to unlock some via the in-game store but I think you have 3 by default).

Oh, and you switch between your wardrobe sets with a single click.

Yea, I like the Rift Wardobre too, that is a great wardrobre.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Will you still be able to earn transmutation stones through stuff like map completion and convert them to charges, or will the gem store be the ONLY place to get these charges?

The charge system is a little confusing. Will it still be one charge per armor piece or will some pieces cost multiple charges?

unknown how obtaining charges will change.

Currently it appears to be one charge per piece whenever you change it.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

… I suggest go for it while you can.

Actually, you get 3 stones each time you complete any explorable zone except for Southsun. I can complete Rata Sum in under 15 minutes. I use they BL key farming tactic where you make random alts just to delete them afterwards. Anet seems to just et it go on, so I highly highly doubt you’d get in trouble for exploiting.

I said “while you can” because I’m not sure if after the update we’ll still get a trans charge for map completion. I’m sure you can farm trans stones as much as you can right now.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

They charged a pigeon poop face tattoo 500 gems. Obviously all they care about at this point is money.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Star Trek Online gives you a few Armor as well as Star base (town clothes) slots that you can hot swap at will. So they do not take up any inventory at all.

In addition Talking to the tailor to make both body changes as well as costume changes amounts to about 1000 karma. Not bad for a free game

+1 STOL

(edited by Angelica Dream.7103)

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Sadly I can see that many many people will just buy extra bag slots and keep their gear there.
I am certain that is not what Anet had in mind but when you have to pay the exorbitant amount of money to transmute there is very little alternative.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I already have maxed out bag slots on most of my alts. My current leveling guy is waiting to see if there’s a sale in the next two days … and for me to decide if I want to spend any gems before we find out what they’re doing about the town clothes. While I would like the new collection expanders and more bag slots, I don’t want to give ANet a false impression that gems are still getting spent. So long as those are permanently available, I’m darn well waiting.

The High Cost of Fashion

Stormcrow.7513

I already have maxed out bag slots on most of my alts. My current leveling guy is waiting to see if there’s a sale in the next two days … and for me to decide if I want to spend any gems before we find out what they’re doing about the town clothes. While I would like the new collection expanders and more bag slots, I don’t want to give ANet a false impression that gems are still getting spent. So long as those are permanently available, I’m darn well waiting.

I don’t blame you one bit for waiting

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m kittened about the removal of town clothes since they were my favorite appearance items in game. For the wardrobe itself, I’m guessing the Dev’s left a loophole to circumvent the fees, if one wanted to spend the time to do so. I bark at them often on here (squeaky wheel) but, they are usually pretty good about creating multiple ways of doing things.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

The issue is how the charges will be obtained and this is info they have not said.

At the moment the level 80 crystals can be obtained through the gemstore, BL chests and a ~0.26% chance from doing your daily. The stones via gemstore, map complete and ~5.3% chance from daily.

I’d imagine the worst case scenario being that the charges are obtainable only in the ways you can currently obtain the crystals and for the same price. This of course would be a 3x increase in the price for <lvl80s.

If obtaining transmutes doesn’t improve with the patch i wont change looks.

The High Cost of Fashion

Stormcrow.7513

The issue is how the charges will be obtained and this is info they have not said.

At the moment the level 80 crystals can be obtained through the gemstore, BL chests and a ~0.26% chance from doing your daily. The stones via gemstore, map complete and ~5.3% chance from daily.

I’d imagine the worst case scenario being that the charges are obtainable only in the ways you can currently obtain the crystals and for the same price. This of course would be a 3x increase in the price for <lvl80s.

Which is what a vast majority of the playerbase will do, and as such, render the entire update pretty much moot(no pun intended).

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Which is what a vast majority of the playerbase will do, and as such, render the entire update pretty much moot(no pun intended).

Oh definitely. What everyone i know does at the moment anyway is find one look for their character and that’s it. The transmute system is used sparingly.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Ah, okay. Also, it seems there will no longer be a difference between lvl 1-79 transmutations and lvl 80 transmutations. So it’ll all be charges, no matter the level, correct?

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Raistlin.5187

Raistlin.5187

Ahh, I see I was wrong.

“Items that you acquire that are already bound to your account automatically unlock their skin when they go into your inventory. Unlocked skins can be applied to items infinitely (for just one Transmutation Charge), which makes it much less stressful to try out a new look for your character, since you can always switch back!”

If you read through that part it ALMOST sounds like it costs one charge for infinite transmutations. My hopes are dashed They should have said for just one Transmutation Charge EACH! Now I’m sad.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Ah, okay. Also, it seems there will no longer be a difference between lvl 1-79 transmutations and lvl 80 transmutations. So it’ll all be charges, no matter the level, correct?

the old 1-79 stones will convert to 3 stones to 1 charge the level 80 crystals will convert 1 to 1.
it will be one size fits all after that.

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

Ummm, how are you currently changeing your armors. If you have multiple sets there is nothing stoping you from switching between them, they really arnt changeing much about the transmog system other than useing gear your useing skins from a gallery. So you know…you dont lose the skins.

So i fail to see the point of where the price is going to go up for fashion. If your changeing your armor appearance alot atm like everytime you need a new outfit. your already spending way more than you will. Because you will consume both the gear and the stone.

Seriously, if yours running multiple gear sets for different appearances, that would be your best bet if you dont want to spend a fortune on charges

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The main thing I am upset about is requiring charges for pvp. I’m not gonna waste charges on lvl 1 alts that I play in pvp occasionally, so they are gonna be stuck looking ugly. And this is coming from a guy with 400 transmute crystals from opening black lion chests near launch.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

So i fail to see the point of where the price is going to go up for fashion. If your changeing your armor appearance alot atm like everytime you need a new outfit. your already spending way more than you will. Because you will consume both the gear and the stone.

The only place where the price goes up, is for sub lvl80 characters. You now pay one stone for one armour piece as long as the armour pieces are below lvl80 (both of them). In the new system, 1 charge will be 3 stones and they didn’t say anything about sub lvl80 transmutations… So, as far as we know now, the price will go up…

But once you’re lvl80, you’re absolutely correct. In fact, the price, on average, will even go down, as you don’t need to buy the second item you will use for the looks (especially if you re-use looks).

The High Cost of Fashion

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The only place where the price goes up, is for sub lvl80 characters. You now pay one stone for one armour piece as long as the armour pieces are below lvl80 (both of them). In the new system, 1 charge will be 3 stones and they didn’t say anything about sub lvl80 transmutations… So, as far as we know now, the price will go up…

But once you’re lvl80, you’re absolutely correct. In fact, the price, on average, will even go down, as you don’t need to buy the second item you will use for the looks (especially if you re-use looks).

And if you are transferring a soulbound skin from one alt to another you will no longer need to transmute it on a white item first and then transmute it again. That is a huge bonus and includes more savings.

The Burninator