The Joy of Grinding (and other annoyances)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jericento.3165

Jericento.3165

You know, I’ve just about had it with simple things being gated behind “adventures” and “puzzles”.

At the moment, I’m trying to complete “Glint’s Bastion” in the Specialization Collection for Herald. I’ve been trying to complete the “Sanctum Scramble” (unsuccessfully). If I wanted to play a platform jumper that required the reflexes of a 12 year old jacked-up on espresso, I’d play Mario.

Which leads to my gripe: give us more than one way to complete non-legendary “collections”! It really doesn’t seem all that difficult, really. Sure, let the puzzle option be there for those who enjoy it – heck, it can even be the “easy” route – but don’t shut-out others who don’t enjoy such content.

I understand there being elite items that are only obtainable by elite players who sink a significant portion of their lives into the game (I.e., the pretty PvP wings that only hard-core PvP players can obtain). But all these hide-and-go-seek scavenger hunts to unlock a weapon skin? Really?

Look, I don’t mind needing to kill X monster, but requiring that we achieve a certain medal score to obtain a single piece of a larger collection is stupid (yes, I could find a more erudite way to express “stupid”, but sometimes “stupid” works.)

Creating content that makes paying customers want to rage quit and uninstall isn’t exactly smart. But, by all means:

• …continue giving us UGLY (harsh, but true) costumes instead of the new armor skins we’ve all been asking for.
  • …cover up a lack of game innovation by adding increasingly complex scavenger hunts.
  • …make the game more “challenging” by making entire floors hot lava (without cleaning up the interface to compensate for hordes of player models covering up all the “tells”.)
  • …continue making adventures and jumping puzzles that have zero-tolerance for error (oh, hey, I’m floating in the air on the edge of a cliff, but can’t jump over a tree root!)
  • …continue to increase the map complexity without fixing the map overlays (or giving us a means to actually SEE the map points we’re missing without consulting external maps.)
  • …continue producing content that REQUIRES a trip to a third party info website to figure things out.
  • …continue providing shortcuts to max level a character without unlocking a waypoint in each zone (yeah, I really want to map compete Lion’s Arch AGAIN.)
  • …continue to REFUSE to fix PvP matchmaking (but gate items behind PvP success.)
  • …continue making the game a farming grind (something it wasn’t at launch, and something you said it would never be.)

Yeah, I could always quit and play something else, but I’ve invested a lot of time and money into your enterprise. It’s time you started making your customers happy. I don’t expect everything to be easy, no… but is giving us a second option to complete a collection task all that much to ask? Heck, instead of giving us redundant items for daily log-in, give us a general token that can be saved and exchanged for collection items. That would be amazing! Or, better yet, a method for exchanging all the gobs of tomes and such we’ve all accumulated.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Sanctum Scramble drove me mad for weeks. Latency issues were just making it an absolute lesson in frustration, I attempted it hundreds of times and eventually needed to get a mate who lives in another country to use my account and do it for me because it just was impossible to do. I can play the game fine as normal, WvW is ok but the adventures were so maddening, SS in particular.

I don’t want a game I like to make me feel like that, so I hope there are no adventure requirements for the collections in PoF. Either that, or they make them personal instances that are client-side like gliding to help with these issues.

Although, if I never play another mini-game again, I wouldn’t be phased, I never actually want to play them at all.

Posted by: Solvar.7953

Solvar.7953

The problem is you can’t grind out the minigames. You can play them repeatedly and still not get good enough to complete the higher requirements.

One thought might be on each ‘bronze’ attempt, you get a fragment of the desired item. And 50 fragments (or some other number) can be combined in to the actual object.

Thus, players could grind it out. Doing 50 sanctum sprint runs would be annoying, but I could see doing a couple a day, so you get it done in a month. And at least you would seem some progress.

Note that legendaries are optional content (ascended is equal, stat wise, and gong to be easier to get), so I don’t necessary mind it being time consuming to get them (just like all the time gated crafting that is needed).

But I’m going through HoT with my second character, and picking up most of the map or story achievements, but for most of the mini games one, I’ve just resigned that I’m never going to get above Bronze, because repeatedly playing them and hoping my skill increases enough to get silver (lets forget about gold even) really isn’t worth it, and not something I find fun.

Jericento.3165

Thus, players could grind it out. Doing 50 sanctum sprint runs would be annoying, but I could see doing a couple a day, so you get it done in a month. And at least you would seem some progress.

You’re sorta missing the point. If the mini-game is already making me have feelings about rage quitting and uninstalling, what good is forcing me to repeat the same garbage?

Jericento.3165

I don’t want a game I like to make me feel like that, so I hope there are no adventure requirements for the collections in PoF. Either that, or they make them personal instances that are client-side like gliding to help with these issues.

THIS. I mean, this is supposed to be fun and a distraction, yeah? Not an exercise in migraine.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

THIS. I mean, this is supposed to be fun and a distraction, yeah? Not an exercise in migraine.

It is fun though.
Sanctum Scramble is one of the best adventure.

The good thing is that you don’t need that skins to play. They’re just fashion and serve no other purpose than showing off.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

The game was launched as “play how you want to play”. They abandoned that long ago.
They really don’t care how people want to play, they want us to do certain things and will continue to do that since they get so excited over something they made, they think we should be equally excited to play it.

We can’t even get them to put in a “turn off other players effects” checkbox or something, that every game for 15 years has had. It’s turning in to a seizure-inducing light show, but since they made all the shiny stuff, they don’t care how it affects players enjoyment of the game. I still don’t know what ANY boss in the game looks like, they are all just giant f/x blobs.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

We have 3 choices here.

1. Make it so these special collection skins are fairly easy to get (Not recommended)

2. Make it so we don’t have small challenges like Sanctum Scramble, and instead put it behind a large grind (Something I don’t personally want)

3. Keep it as is.

The collections are NOT required to play in any way. They do not increase your stats in a way you couldn’t get by other means.

It is a cosmetic item that is rewarded to players you have invested their time into trying to get them. A long adventure that to me, feels good.

Adding a secondary way that is simply just grinding for days, sounds….bad imo. But alternatives aren’t terrible I guess. But are often never given in MMO’s.

Jericento.3165

It is fun though.

The good thing is that you don’t need that skins to play. They’re just fashion and serve no other purpose than showing off.

For you, perhaps… but your experience is not universal.

If it’s “just fashion”, then why not make everything pay?

Jericento.3165

The game was launched as “play how you want to play”. They abandoned that long ago.
They really don’t care how people want to play, they want us to do certain things and will continue to do that since they get so excited over something they made, they think we should be equally excited to play it.

We can’t even get them to put in a “turn off other players effects” checkbox or something, that every game for 15 years has had. It’s turning in to a seizure-inducing light show, but since they made all the shiny stuff, they don’t care how it affects players enjoyment of the game. I still don’t know what ANY boss in the game looks like, they are all just giant f/x blobs.

It raises a few salient questions. Is it that they don’t want to fix the things we ask them to fix, or do they not know HOW to fix them? A lot of what’s wrong with the game mechanics boil down to sloppy programming.

Haishao.6851

It is fun though.

And I imagine your experience is universal?
Not everything is pay because this is a game and therefore made to be played. This is not second life or imvu. It’s an actual game.

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

Some people just don’t understand that some things are not meant to be obtainable by everyone.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

You know, I’ve just about had it with simple things being gated behind “adventures” and “puzzles”.

At the moment, I’m trying to complete “Glint’s Bastion” in the Specialization Collection for Herald. I’ve been trying to complete the “Sanctum Scramble” (unsuccessfully). If I wanted to play a platform jumper that required the reflexes of a 12 year old jacked-up on espresso, I’d play Mario.

Which leads to my gripe: give us more than one way to complete non-legendary “collections”! It really doesn’t seem all that difficult, really. Sure, let the puzzle option be there for those who enjoy it – heck, it can even be the “easy” route – but don’t shut-out others who don’t enjoy such content.

I understand there being elite items that are only obtainable by elite players who sink a significant portion of their lives into the game (I.e., the pretty PvP wings that only hard-core PvP players can obtain). But all these hide-and-go-seek scavenger hunts to unlock a weapon skin? Really?

Look, I don’t mind needing to kill X monster, but requiring that we achieve a certain medal score to obtain a single piece of a larger collection is stupid (yes, I could find a more erudite way to express “stupid”, but sometimes “stupid” works.)

Creating content that makes paying customers want to rage quit and uninstall isn’t exactly smart. But, by all means:

• …continue giving us UGLY (harsh, but true) costumes instead of the new armor skins we’ve all been asking for.
  • …cover up a lack of game innovation by adding increasingly complex scavenger hunts.
  • …make the game more “challenging” by making entire floors hot lava (without cleaning up the interface to compensate for hordes of player models covering up all the “tells”.)
  • …continue making adventures and jumping puzzles that have zero-tolerance for error (oh, hey, I’m floating in the air on the edge of a cliff, but can’t jump over a tree root!)
  • …continue to increase the map complexity without fixing the map overlays (or giving us a means to actually SEE the map points we’re missing without consulting external maps.)
  • …continue producing content that REQUIRES a trip to a third party info website to figure things out.
  • …continue providing shortcuts to max level a character without unlocking a waypoint in each zone (yeah, I really want to map compete Lion’s Arch AGAIN.)
  • …continue to REFUSE to fix PvP matchmaking (but gate items behind PvP success.)
  • …continue making the game a farming grind (something it wasn’t at launch, and something you said it would never be.)

Yeah, I could always quit and play something else, but I’ve invested a lot of time and money into your enterprise. It’s time you started making your customers happy. I don’t expect everything to be easy, no… but is giving us a second option to complete a collection task all that much to ask? Heck, instead of giving us redundant items for daily log-in, give us a general token that can be saved and exchanged for collection items. That would be amazing! Or, better yet, a method for exchanging all the gobs of tomes and such we’ve all accumulated.

I agree with you on this adventure, I cannot do it. Living in Australia I have a high ping and my hands always hurt from doing so much clicking in this game. Using those skills on any run, one will simply fail and not fire off, or fire off too late. I can make it about half way b4 the timer expires and that half run is so frustrating and enraging experience that I’ve given up on getting my rev’s shield completed long ago.
I have, all classes and races. I’ve completed all the elite weapon collection including that infuriating fallen masks (which btw, took me 2 hours just to get a bronze due to mushrooms failing so often it was a horrible experience probably due to latency issues, or w/ever) to get the necessary items, all except the rev shield and the only thing i need is that SS item. I guess I’ll never get it, there’s no point in frustrating myself to that extent. But it still bugs me every time i look at my achievements and see it uncompleted. It’s not about me needing an ascended shield, i crafted one for my rev and transmuted it with the ghastly grinning shield skin, but it’s the principle of it. It’s my rev’s personal class shield and i wanted to complete it but alas, not possible for me.
Furthermore, i hate, hate, when I’m forced to use alien skills, they never work properly for me. It took me ages to get that story achievement with those skills but when I realized i was expected to do SS to finish the shield with those skills, my heart sunk and it’s been like that ever since. I even tried doing it on different races, like my Asura, it made no difference since that wasn’t the problem.
Anyway, I suggest you just let it go to avoid getting frustrated any further. It’s not worth it. Let the cool kids have their fun and defend such content, those with super excellent pings and reflexes. They don’t feel our pain. It’s saddens me that it seems they don’t want to cater to us more mature folks, despite us being the ones who have the money to spend and are the ones who actually fund this game.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Legendary-Weapons

I said the same thing sort of.

Got accused of just not wanting to do the “content”. Well yes actually…

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

It is fun though.

Perhaps you do not like the skin, but I’m sure the vast majority like ascended weapon awarded by the collection.

Posted by: Solvar.7953

Solvar.7953

I’d add that it may be extra frustrating to have all the items except for 1 unlocked on some achievement. That last item is just tempting you, but locked behind a mini game.

Almost all grinding in the game is not interesting or frustrating. Collecting the large amount of materials needed for some things is hardly interesting, but I can sit down and spend a little time each day doing it, knowing I am getting closer.

Same if partial awards were given for these mini games. While I may not enjoy the grind of doing it 50 times, if I’m at least seeing progress for the goal, I would probably grit my teeth and do it. But I’m not going do play them (except perhaps as a daily) when I don’t see any real hope of me getting to the silver level.

If anything, letting people get small rewards might actually get more people playing these games, so depending on what the goal of the developers are, it could be a plus. You’d get the people who want that item and now have a real way to get it.

Jericento.3165

It is fun though.

Not everything is pay because this is a game and therefore made to be played. This is not second life or imvu. It’s an actual game.

… I wish schools focused a bit more on reading comprehension these days.

Jericento.3165

Some people just don’t understand that some things are not meant to be obtainable by everyone.

If you had bothered to actually read what I wrote in entirety, you would have seen that I acknowledged that some things should be “exclusive content” (for those who wish to invest the time into getting them.)

I’m not talking about a legendary or other highly exclusive piece of content…

Quite frankly, the fact that legendary weapons can be bought and sold entirely negates your argument.

(edited by Jericento.3165)

Jericento.3165

Let the cool kids have their fun and defend such content, those with super excellent pings and reflexes. They don’t feel our pain. It’s saddens me that it seems they don’t want to cater to us more mature folks, despite us being the ones who have the money to spend and are the ones who actually fund this game.

This, exactly. Anet doesn’t seem to understand that we’re the ones keeping the bills paid.

As for the kiddos, they’ll understand one day. When I was younger, I wouldn’t have had an issue with a lot of these puzzles, either. However, just because I’m older, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t game equitably (especially given a game that has always been advertised as NOT being made for elites.)

Jericento.3165

To manually farm everything for a legendary would take an investment of time few of us could realistically afford. So, legendary weapons serve one purpose: to make money for the game creators. Which is, ultimately, just fine. I have no issue with Anet employees putting food on the table. But, at that point, it’s no longer about content, is it?

I was originally drawn to this game because I grew weary of grinding and farming. Well, GW2 is becoming the same animal.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

It is fun though.

… I wish schools focused a bit more on reading comprehension these days.

not only that but make them read every thing too !! and not be a kitten on the reply just a up front straight answer . another reason why I keep chat turned off . when I really do not need

no new system upgrades coming

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Let the cool kids have their fun and defend such content, those with super excellent pings and reflexes. They don’t feel our pain. It’s saddens me that it seems they don’t want to cater to us more mature folks, despite us being the ones who have the money to spend and are the ones who actually fund this game.

This, exactly. Anet doesn’t seem to understand that we’re the ones keeping the bills paid.

As for the kiddos, they’ll understand one day. When I was younger, I wouldn’t have had an issue with a lot of these puzzles, either. However, just because I’m older, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t game equitably (especially given a game that has always been advertised as NOT being made for elites.)

here again I agree fully with you on them kitten puzzles much rather do other things that does not cause one to be stressed to just get a mastery point oh the kittens of it all !!!

and yes when the game first came out that was always coming out of their mouths all the time .

especially given a game that has always been advertised as NOT being made for elites.)
now these days they hardly say a word at all . and never do say this is not for elites any more. they dropped that and now like to push this I am so pro my kitten shoes can not even touch the ground !!

or
elites

you got no clue at all of what your doing in this game and you do not know the basics of the game . and you not got a DPS meter to boot . so we kick your kitten to the crub
and block you from raids and so forth .

now that is real kitten elites for yeah !!

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

To manually farm everything for a legendary would take an investment of time few of us could realistically afford. So, legendary weapons serve one purpose: to make money for the game creators. Which is, ultimately, just fine. I have no issue with Anet employees putting food on the table. But, at that point, it’s no longer about content, is it?

I was originally drawn to this game because I grew weary of grinding and farming. Well, GW2 is becoming the same animal.

same here too but sadly after playing guild wars and then this since it came out till now. sigh this gave me another add reason to not buy the new pack at all . as I believe the changes I seen in the game its self as well as game play and time gating legendary crafting and the cost to get legendary stuff from vendors .

yeah I still will play the game I got but yes GW2 is becoming the same animal very much .

Haishao.6851

The game was absolutely never advertised as “NOT being made for elite”

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

same here too but sadly after playing guild wars and then this since it came out till now. sigh this gave me another add reason to not buy the new pack at all . as I believe the changes I seen in the game its self as well as game play and time gating legendary crafting and the cost to get legendary stuff from vendors .

yeah I still will play the game I got but yes GW2 is becoming the same animal very much .

I am a vet player myself been playing since guild wars myself came out wiped my account x5 even and redid it all over again till the beta of guild wars 2 came out .

the way I see it the game owes you noting at all it sure owes me noting at all . what the game did owe you got out of playing the game for this long with many updates and few other things and some events having said that

I already put my order in for Path of Fire of the ultimate edition with the gems to boot . to me that is the whole perk in its self and I do not need to come to the forums crying me a river oh I am a VET their for I get perks for every new thing that comes out as well as perks for new packs that come out too . when you do that you only make us and the game and company super bad . and that needs to stop now like I said the game owes me noting and sure does not owe you any thing at all so stop crying

So you canceled your pre order then?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Path-of-Fire-Perks-for-Veteran-Players/6668500/

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I am a vet player myself been playing since guild wars myself came out wiped my account x5 even and redid it all over again till the beta of guild wars 2 came out .

the way I see it the game owes you noting at all it sure owes me noting at all . what the game did owe you got out of playing the game for this long with many updates and few other things and some events having said that

I already put my order in for Path of Fire of the ultimate edition with the gems to boot . to me that is the whole perk in its self and I do not need to come to the forums crying me a river oh I am a VET their for I get perks for every new thing that comes out as well as perks for new packs that come out too . when you do that you only make us and the game and company super bad . and that needs to stop now like I said the game owes me noting and sure does not owe you any thing at all so stop crying

So you canceled your pre order then?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Path-of-Fire-Perks-for-Veteran-Players/6668500/

even tho in part way that is taken that out of context of that post that it was posted to

which yeah I already did that about 6 days after that post and just left it for the points of the context of the post where and when it was posted for that very said context of that said post sir .

oh btw thanks for the laugh I got a good chuckle out of it . which is something I need was a good chuckle right about now . for that sir thank you

have a good day and good night !!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Leaving aside everything else dumb about that statement, we’re talking about the elite spec weapon collection here. I’m pretty sure Anet did in fact intend those to be obtainable by everyone.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Happy to help

Want me to post some cat videos for even more chuckles? =)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

We have 3 choices here.

1. Make it so these special collection skins are fairly easy to get (Not recommended)

2. Make it so we don’t have small challenges like Sanctum Scramble, and instead put it behind a large grind (Something I don’t personally want)

3. Keep it as is.

ANet has more than these three choices.

4. Find something else that presents a challenge to replace the adventure requirement.

5. Drop one requirement, still leaving, iirc, 13.

I do find it ironic that a reward attached to an Elite Specialization requires playing fringe content that requires one to not use one’s build.

Posted by: Celldrax.2849

Celldrax.2849

Oh yeah, Sanctum Scramble. Was last thing I needed for Glint’s Bastion.

I definitely raged, but bronze is really fairly obtainable once you know where you’re going and don’t kitten up your jumps (which seems to happen to me a lot).

I can be very very stubborn though, so this was something I pushed at for a couple of hours to eventually get a silver (of course didn’t have to, but couldn’t let myself leave until I got at least that…).

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly.

I had to watch a YouTube video for Sanctum Scramble, too, in order to be able to reach the required level of success (and I am far beyond the age of 12, but have still good reflexes thanks to playing a lot of shooters). As you said, without third party websites, one would be completely lost in GW2 (which includes lore and many other things). No game mechanics or anything important for a beginner are explained in-game, and with more advanced content it is only getting worse.

I really hope someone will take your list of valid points of criticism to heart. It’s about time.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

Didn’t read every reply but simply this:

It is an earned reward and made difficult for a reason imo

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Happy to help

Want me to post some cat videos for even more chuckles? =)

thanks for the offer

but I am currently watching hurricane Irma coming into the usa .

which reminds me too much of katrina

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

We have 3 choices here.

3. Keep it as is.

ANet has more than these three choices.

4. Find something else that presents a challenge to replace the adventure requirement.

5. Drop one requirement, still leaving, iirc, 13.

I do find it ironic that a reward attached to an Elite Specialization requires playing fringe content that requires one to not use one’s build.

According to the title of this. This thread is not specifically about sanctum scramale itself. Which seems to be your specific complaint.

If this thread was about SS specifically, I’d be fine with a different challenge if this truly causes issue due to bad ping and such.

But if that’s honestly true, I’m unsure how they could handle guild wars 2 in general, due to a lot of the content requiring you to be precise with dodging, or death.

Soooo, kinda calling BS, but I have no evidence to back it up.