The Language Filter

The Language Filter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bevillian.1260

Bevillian.1260

This filter is used to filter inappropriate language, correct? And if this is correct, presumably the players that would be offended by said language, would simply have clicked this button and enabled this filter, correct? Also to make sure players do not even have to click a button to enable this, it comes enabled by default, correct?

Guild Wars 2 Needs Hall of Heroes

The Language Filter

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sure..but it’s still against the TOS to curse in the open world.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Is this an….. “I got banned for swearing and you have a filter for a reason” thread? Because this horse… it has been beaten to death, brought back by necros, beaten again, raised by guardians, and beaten to death again. It is not a “free ticket” to swear, this has been pointed out endless times by devs and players with varying verbiage.

“You don’t remove the filter, you simply choose not to use it. You do not own the right to determine what others will see, and the filter cannot ever be perfect, hence the actions that our GM Team will be forced to take on those who breach the RoC and the rules of commonly accepted game behavior.
We value every player and every customer. We do not suspend or terminate accounts lightly. We do our darnedest to work with individuals who have been suspended and even terminated, going the extra mile to give a second chance or to work with a person who has made an error in judgment. The suspension system is a model of balance and fairness. It is even set up to give second chances automatically. We do not conspire to ban people unjustly. We never, ever will. ~ Gaile Gray”

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

The Language Filter

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

You dun goofed, son.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Honestly I will never understand it. If you disabled the filter and saw the swearword wasn’t that your choice?
Isn’t it the same as opening the strip club and stating that there’s nudity inside, enter at your own risk, a person entering it, complaining to the police that there’s nudity in it and the club being shut down?
When creating a game one should chose to either add a filter and allow people not to see the dirty language of adults, or disallow such language in the rules and allow people to report anyone using such language. Not both. Having both in is useless.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

The burden is not on me to cover my eyes and ears in public, but on people to learn some manner in public.

And for some things – like hate speech – the burden is on such people to clean up their act or simply leave my planet.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

The Language Filter

Vayne.8563

Honestly I will never understand it. If you disabled the filter and saw the swearword wasn’t that your choice?
Isn’t it the same as opening the strip club and stating that there’s nudity inside, enter at your own risk, a person entering it, complaining to the police that there’s nudity in it and the club being shut down?
When creating a game one should chose to either add a filter and allow people not to see the dirty language of adults, or disallow such language in the rules and allow people to report anyone using such language. Not both. Having both in is useless.

I don’t think anyone gets banned for saying kitten. There’s a difference between saying kitten when you’re falling off a jumping puzzle and saying kitten you, which is more of a direct attack.

The filter allows me to see profanity which doesn’t offend me. But people can still use those words offensively and that shouldn’t be allowed.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

There is nothing adult about swearing. Honestly the adult thing would be to be able to restrain yourself from doing it. Do you constantly swear at your boss. I don’t think so. The filter is an in case of emergency system. People just lack respect and needs these kinds of rules enforced on them to behave some what civil.

The Language Filter

Vayne.8563

There is nothing adult about swearing. Honestly the adult thing would be to be able to restrain yourself from doing it. Do you constantly swear at your boss. I don’t think so. The filter is an in case of emergency system. People just lack respect and needs these kinds of rules enforced on them to behave some what civil.

Actually, I constantly swore at my boss, but he was annoying and deserved it. lol

The Language Filter

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The filter exists to maintain a rating and prevent people seeing language they don’t want to. The ability to turn the filter off exists as a courtesy to players who want to allow the use of colorful language none of them minds in private channels, like squad, party, guild and whisper. Extending that courtesy does not mean condoning such language in public channels.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

The Language Filter

Mirta.5029

I don’t think anyone gets banned for saying kitten. There’s a difference between saying kitten when you’re falling off a jumping puzzle and saying kitten you, which is more of a direct attack.

The filter allows me to see profanity which doesn’t offend me. But people can still use those words offensively and that shouldn’t be allowed.

I do understand reports for direct attacks. I don’t understand reports for swearing though. I’ve heard from people that were just joking around with their friends on /say and got reported by other people just because they found swearing offensive, however in order to see that they needed to have their filter off. That’s what I don’t get.

The Language Filter

Vayne.8563

It’s all anecdotal. I’ve never heard of someone banned for saying kitten in open chat, unless there was something else offensive going on there.

The Language Filter

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I do understand reports for direct attacks. I don’t understand reports for swearing though. I’ve heard from people that were just joking around with their friends on /say and got reported by other people just because they found swearing offensive, however in order to see that they needed to have their filter off. That’s what I don’t get.

In those cases it is possible that they were suspended due to the swear words they were using were considered hate speech. Even if they were not rules are rules and are there for a reason. The filter does not provide a free ticket to saying what you want. Because filters are not perfect.

As a general rule. It is best not swear in public. In game or out. Doing so can get you in trouble in some cases.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

The Language Filter

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Actually, all I’ve seen so far points to this being a lie. You don’t get banned for “cursing” (which would be immesurably stupid from ANet). You get banned for insulting people, bypassing the filter, and behaviour that has less to do with language and more to do with, for example, being racist, extremely sexual, etc.

I.e.: “kitten this kitten” – ah ok. “kitten you you piece of kitten” – not ok.

The Language Filter

Vayne.8563

I mean some of the stuff I say to my friends would offend most people. lol

The Language Filter

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

This thread on reddit is always good to read, since it has stuff arenanet quoted for people who asked why they were banned for swearing. XD

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/

The Language Filter

Posted by: zuraith.6104

zuraith.6104

…Seriously?

I need to read those.

I mean I need to review those.

The Language Filter

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I never understood the argument along the lines of “If I fall off a cliff sometimes I say kitten”. You are not saying it you are typing it. Isn’t it a bit more difficult to type kitten than it is to express it verbally to yourself? Does it really enhance other’s game play that you take the time to type, “Kitten I fell” in chat? Does the end viewer fell a greater since of your frustration because you typed kitten?

Most consider cursing as an adult language. A reasonable adult will know when and where they should not curse. I don’t see any value at all in taking the time to type, “Oh kitten”. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of you have curse word macros. There is nothing especially cool about cursing. Perhaps open a dictionary and learn some better ways to express yourself.

The Burninator

The Language Filter

Mirta.5029

I never understood the argument along the lines of “If I fall off a cliff sometimes I say kitten”. You are not saying it you are typing it. Isn’t it a bit more difficult to type kitten than it is to express it verbally to yourself? Does it really enhance other’s game play that you take the time to type, “Kitten I fell” in chat? Does the end viewer fell a greater since of your frustration because you typed kitten?

Most consider cursing as an adult language. A reasonable adult will know when and where they should not curse. I don’t see any value at all in taking the time to type, “Oh kitten”. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of you have curse word macros. There is nothing especially cool about cursing. Perhaps open a dictionary and learn some better ways to express yourself.

Curse words can be used to express yourself and convey a meaning to other people as well as anything else. Examples:
Oh kitten it
For kitten’s sake!
There’s nothing wrong with it, especially having in mind that people that don’t want to see such language can have the filter on.

The Language Filter

JustTrogdor.7892

Curse words can be used to express yourself and convey a meaning to other people as well as anything else. Examples:
Oh kitten it
For kitten’s sake!
There’s nothing wrong with it, especially having in mind that people that don’t want to see such language can have the filter on.

There are hundreds of thousands of words that can be used to express yourself outside of the realm of cursing. Believe it or not a lot of people usually see someone that has an extended vocabulary outside of 4 letter words as a sign of maturity and intelligence.

I still don’t see the benefit of taking the time to type something like, “Oh kitten” in chat. Can you tell me what is so captivating about stopping to type that in chat? Do the people in /map give you a lot of positive feedback when you do so?

You are arguing that the chat filter should allow someone to say fall off a cliff, pause, then type kitten in chat is okay when it has been said over and over that the filter does not make it acceptable. So you can either accept that or you can test it in chat yourself and see where that gets you.

The Burninator

The Language Filter

Vayne.8563

I type faster than I speak. For that matter I type and think at the same time. Gets me into all sorts of trouble…but yes if I’m in a conversation, already typing to someone, there is virtually no difference, to me, between typing and speaking. My fingers are educated enough so that they can type almost without conscious thought. You might not believe this but it’s true.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

Oh kitten it
For kitten’s sake!

Let me add something that so many fans of this game love to point out….“it’s Anet’s game”……..if they say you don’t get to curse in public chat, you don’t get to curse. If you do and you get reported, enjoy your 72 hour ban.

If I go to a Mall and hear kids cursing loudly and freely around other people and families, I wonder if they are really that ignorant, or what happened to mommy and daddy. So much for manners, self-control and consideration of other people.

The Language Filter

Mirta.5029

There are hundreds of thousands of words that can be used to express yourself outside of the realm of cursing. Believe it or not a lot of people usually see someone that has an extended vocabulary outside of 4 letter words as a sign of maturity and intelligence.

I still don’t see the benefit of taking the time to type something like, “Oh kitten” in chat. Can you tell me what is so captivating about stopping to type that in chat? Do the people in /map give you a lot of positive feedback when you do so?

You are arguing that the chat filter should allow someone to say fall off a cliff, pause, then type kitten in chat is okay when it has been said over and over that the filter does not make it acceptable. So you can either accept that or you can test it in chat yourself and see where that gets you.

example:
you’re trying to finish an event with your friends. It’s too hard, many of you have died multiple times, you type in chat “Oh kitten it” as in “I give up”. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
Was reading this as well http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/ and a lot of bans are questionable. Like getting banned for a name of “Adolf Critler”. Hitler is not the only Adolf in the world and Critler might be a legit last name in real world.
This game has more strict character names/ offensive language rules than any other MMO in existence. Hell people are getting banned for use of phrases that they were able to use in GW1 no problem.

Let me add something that so many fans of this game love to point out….“it’s Anet’s game”……..if they say you don’t get to curse in public chat, you don’t get to curse. If you do and you get reported, enjoy your 72 hour ban.

If I go to a Mall and hear kids cursing loudly and freely around other people and families, I wonder if they are really that ignorant, or what happened to mommy and daddy. So much for manners, self-control and consideration of other people.

What’s the point of filter then? If you went to the store and had a filter installed in your ears why would you be complaining about someone talking dirty?

(edited by Mirta.5029)

The Language Filter

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

example:
you’re trying to finish an event with your friends. It’s too hard, many of you have died multiple times, you type in chat “Oh kitten it” as in “I give up”. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
Was reading this as well http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/yxx3m/suspensions_for_offensive_names_and_inappropriate/ and a lot of bans are questionable. Like getting banned for a name of “Adolf Critler”. Hitler is not the only Adolf in the world and Critler might be a legit last name in real world.
This game has more strict character names/ offensive language rules than any other MMO in existence. Hell people are getting banned for use of phrases that they were able to use in GW1 no problem.

What’s the point of filter then? If you went to the store and had a filter installed in your ears why would you be complaining about someone talking dirty?

A filter in your ears? Really? The lack of comprehension is utterly amazing….

The Language Filter

Mirta.5029

A filter in your ears? Really? The lack of comprehension is utterly amazing….

No, I do mean it. The chat has a filter, people that find a certain kind of language offensive can use it. You don’t have such a choice while walking outside in real life.

The Language Filter

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I turn it off as its just as broken and useless as it is here. It filters out the middle of words that contain offensive language in the words base or construction of the said word. Like the 6th day of the week (sa"tu—-rd"ay) or Romaji in case we will need it when the game gets Cantha and we get a slew of Asian gamers here and need to communicate with them if they do not know English (if you know Chinese or Japanese or Korean and you know the English character form of writing their words, (pinyin and Romaji and w/e it is for Korean) you will be foiled by that filter every time.) Also many other languages can have s, h, i, and the letter t in the base of the word or words.another would be letter c, u, n, and t and c, u, and m!! I’m sure the English language and other languages have those letter harmlessly being in the middle of words…

Try typing Japanese words in phonetic form in game and see what happens.

So the filter is a nuisance for that reason and its why some may choose to keep it off.

Furthermore… The same broken filter was in GW 1. We had foreign players in American English districts and they were forced to use phonetic systems using English characters as the main channel in GW 1 did not allow non Latin character use.

Make no mistake the same issues with the filter and phonetic spelling systems for others to understand another language that doesn’t use a Latin character set will have the same problems again. AH the trivialities of censorship on an international game.

Then naysayers will say, “Why don’t they just play on their own countries server?” I say, “How will that help the community stay together?”

This is why you saw so little Asian players in GW 1 and if you did it was in pvp (language character restrictions were null) and on factions pvp only. They could not communicate or try to even if other knew the pinyin or romaji systems… as any curse word formed by their syllables will be blocked.

IF anything OP, Anet needs to made a better filter to stop blocking middles of words and only focus on THE ACTUAL WORDS THEMSELVES!

On a side note, I give the players speaking Tagalog credit in LA… as that language may be similar to other Asian languages and have odd letter combos…and may make swear words when they are not…

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

The Language Filter

JustTrogdor.7892

I turn it off as its just as broken and useless as it is here. It filters out the middle of words that contain offensive language in the words base or construction of the said word. Like the 6th day of the week (sa"tu—-rd"ay) or Romaji in case we will need it when the game gets Cantha and we get a slew of Asian gamers here and need to communicate with them if they do not know English (if you know Chinese or Japanese or Korean and you know the English character form of writing their words, (pinyin and Romaji and w/e it is for Korean) you will be foiled by that filter every time.) Also many other languages can have s, h, i, and the letter t in the base of the word or words.another would be letter c, u, n, and t and c, u, and m!! I’m sure the English language and other languages have those letter harmlessly being in the middle of words…

Try typing Japanese words in phonetic form in game and see what happens.

So the filter is a nuisance for that reason and its why some may choose to keep it off.

Thank you for explaining this. I imagine you will still get people complaining because it seems so important to them that they be able to say things like, “kitten I just fell again.” I don’t know what it is but apparently it is critical to a fully enjoyable game experience.

The Burninator