The Manifesto- Word for Word

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Meili Ying.3820

Meili Ying.3820

Here’s the script of the English Guild Wars 2 Video Manifesto. Use it for anything. Quote, argue, debate, source, praise, scorn, conquer the world, cure cancer, buy insurance, induce brain hemorrhage, make 5 star ice cream, clean your car, make an investment, write A+ essays, start/sabotage a company, anything you want.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

Mike O’Brien:
‘We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything. To make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMO’s, you’ll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMO’s you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2.
Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world. It’s got more active combat, a fully branching personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.’

Daniel Dociu:
’The look of Guild Wars 2 is stylized. We are going for a painterly, illustrated aesthetic. Everything in our world feels handcrafted and artisanal. We treat our environments as if they were characters themselves. ’

Colin Johanson:
‘When you look at the art in our game, you say “Wow that’s visually stunning, I’ve never seen anything like that before.” And then when you play the combat in our game, you say “Wow that’s incredible, I’ve never seen anything like that.
In most games you go out, and you have really fun tasks occasionally to do. And the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. I swung a sword, I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again, that’s great. We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that, no one finds it fun, we want to change the way that people view combat.’

Ree Soesbee:
‘As a structure, the MMO has lost the ability to make the player feel like you’re (–cut-) Everybody around you is doing the same thing you’re doing, the boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later, it doesn’t care that I’m there.’

Colin Johanson:
‘You’ll get quest text that tells you, “I’m being attacked by these horrible things”, and it’s not actually happening. In the game world these horrible centaurs are standing around in a field and you get a quest step that says “Go kill ten centaurs”. We don’t think that’s OK.
You see what’s happening. You see centaurs running to the trading post, knocking the walls down, burning and killing the merchant.’

Ree Soesbee:
’We don’t want to make the same MMO that everyone else is building. And in Guild Wars 2, it’s your world, it’s your story, you affect things around you in a very permanent way. ’

Colin Johanson:
’Cause and Effect. A single decision made by a player cascades out in a chain of events. ’

Ree Soesbee:
’You’re meeting new people, whom you will then see again. You’re rescuing a village that will stay rescued, then remember you. The most important thing in any game should be the player. We have built a game for them. ’

( Gameplay Intermission)

Thanks to Inculpatus cedo.9234 for the following:

Fix the Search Function

(edited by Meili Ying.3820)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Three years later, a statement of intent. I think if you’re going to be 100% accurate, you’d also have to include the clarification that was posted 3 days after this though….because word for word without the clarification seems a bit misleading to me…particularly since they corrected at least one potential misintepretation publicly and right away.

Posted by: Meili Ying.3820

Meili Ying.3820

Three years later, a statement of intent. I think if you’re going to be 100% accurate, you’d also have to include the clarification that was posted 3 days after this though….because word for word without the clarification seems a bit misleading to me…particularly since they corrected at least one potential misintepretation publicly and right away.

I’m just posting this for reference. If there are other sources of clarification, please post them and I will add it to the OP.

Fix the Search Function

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If the clarification is so important in your mind, post it yourself.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’m glad the part where he mentions Centaurs killing the TP NPCs didn’t come true. That’d be a sad, sad, sad day.

I ? Karkas.

Vayne.8563

If the clarification is so important in your mind, post it yourself.

If I could find it, I would. It’s in another thread, where it was posted. The search engine doesn’t work. I’m commenting that a clarification exists. I’m not willing to do the work to find it.

Vayne.8563

Paraphrasing the clarification….

Colin is talking about dynamic events. Ree is talking about personal story. Which means that where she says the boss you killed spawns ten minutes later…she wasn’t talking about open world content. She was talking about an individual story that you experience that someone else of your race/profession might have a completely different story.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I find it odd that Anet would keep up the manifesto while removing the clarification.
Many have found it it misleading and confusing, but instead of removing/editing it, they remove their only clarification instead!

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Manifesto, statement of intent, propaganda…I don’t care what you call it. The fact is the ideals expressed in that “statement of intent” were sold down the river within a year of release. Just because the reversal of design philosophy doesn’t bother you doesn’t mean we should all accept it with a “meh” and a shrug of our shoulders.

Posted by: Pook.2097

Pook.2097

All of this seems pretty accurate. What part of this excerpt isn’t? I suppose one could question the part about the village “remembering you”, though even this is true in a way, as the heart vendors remember your deeds. Sure, bosses return after a period of time, but many involve a series of events leading up to their return. These events can actually be failed in many cases and the world, at least temporarily, is altered by this.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Maybe we should all come to the consensus that most people based their expectations on the manifesto so even if they clarified and even if that wasnt Anet’s intention it was what we expected and wanted so why not deliver?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

I think they were pressured to do something drastic and fast to get back the players that were leaving 1 month after the game’s release. Unfortunately, their ascended gear treadmill strategy is similar to someone shooting themselves in the foot.

If you’re going to create a grinding treadmill at least make it fun. At a minimum.

I understand that fun is subjective. However, if chopping trees, whacking rocks and clicking trading post spreadsheets is their idea of fun then they’re going to feel a massive sting in spring 2014.

Nightarch.2943

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

I think they were pressured to do something drastic and fast to get back the players that were leaving 1 month after the game’s release. Unfortunately, their ascended gear treadmill strategy is similar to someone shooting themselves in the foot.

If you’re going to create a grinding treadmill at least make it fun. At a minimum.

I understand that fun is subjective. However, if chopping trees, whacking rocks and clicking trading post spreadsheets is their idea of fun then they’re going to feel a massive sting in spring 2014.

No, they really did lie. And they absolutely refuse to admit it and own up to their mistakes. Daniel Dociu was the only one who was telling the truth. Everything else is bits and pieces, fragments of truth.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

(edited by Nightarch.2943)

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

No, they really did lie. And they absolutely refuse to admit it and own up to their mistakes. Daniel Dociu was the only one who was telling the truth.

I’d say Ree didn’t lie, and the game didnt go against JC’s explanation of it, tbh.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

I’d say Ree didn’t lie, and the game didnt go against JC’s explanation of it, tbh.

“Your personal story”

A certain widely praised salad I know would disagree with that.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

“Your personal story”

A certain widely praised salad I know would disagree with that.

This won’t end well |:

But seriously, you don’t exactly end up killing the sovereign eye of Zhaitan half a dozen times, or you end up with situations where Tybalt is wandering around despite dying in your PS. There’s also that notion that many NPCs you assist get stored away in your instance.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Whether or not one thinks arenanet has gone against there core values in their manifesto…who knows. I personally, think they did.

Add up the manifesto, with the countless interviews, with the countless articles, blogs, etc…and look at the game today. Do you see a lot of what you THOUGHT the game would have been?

Before you go off half-..so I dont get banned..‘gunned’, yes I know games change, evolve, especially in one year. Completely understand and support that. But 3-6 months into the game, it was a completely different game. Suddenly, Im playing to have fun and now I have a new tier to grind for…guild missions OMG, where I have to run guild missions for this new tier, OR spend an arm and a leg to get the new ascended piece. NOW I have a checklist of dailys to do instead of just..doing them. Maybe Im different, but I hardly ever compelete a set of dailys by doing what I want. I have to stray and do something different to complete it.

Anyways, I digress.

What I think we all can agree on is that Arenanet gave themselves a TON of wiggle room, they were VERY ambigious, and grey. So that they can shift where the wind was blowing, sit back and say “Oh, you misunderstood us”. Lets face it, they gave themselves considerable leeway to be vague for this very purpose.

Intentional or not? Who knows.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Nightarch.2943

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

No, they really did lie. And they absolutely refuse to admit it and own up to their mistakes. Daniel Dociu was the only one who was telling the truth.

No, no, NOOO! Those two were the WORST of the manifesto. I played this game for over twenty five hundred hours and I know full well that what they said was absolute rubbish.

I don’t feel like a hero. I feel like a bloody errand boy delivering crap to lazier than Obama npcs. I saved all of the villages in this game and when I come around to visit Their expression: “lol who are you? That doesn’t matter, have you seen X??” The only ones that remember are the heart npcs and the ones who were connected to that npc. Hearts is a step down by the way, a progress bar that says to do X, Y, Z, at least with the quest log view of things I could get some lore and a bit of entertainment out of it not to mention an actual reward instead of a few pennies.

Now, the combat in this game is a complete joke, anyone who argues otherwise hasn’t even reached a hundred hours of gameplay… That and dungeon runners, only because they panic and spam everything that isn’t already on cool-down. Aside from dodging and your own healing ability, there’s not much to it. If you play a dungeon the way the developers intended it as, you would get punished, not only by rewards but by other players as well.

Nightarch.2943

The only thing that ArenaNet is innovative about is the time-gating system, they brought it up to a whole new level of absurdity. The manifesto is rubbish, and so are the developers and their crap filled living story. And if this game was so fine, and perfect the way it is, a thread like this wouldn’t exist. Threads about build variety and time gate content wouldn’t exist if this were truly a perfect game, threads like any of these wouldn’t exist. I say Good Day Sir!

(edited by Nightarch.2943)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

I still maintain they listened to the wrong complainers. If they had really wanted to retain and regain a large percentage of the leavers, they should have put the effort into PvP. I know a lot of people who left in October, 2012, not one left due to no gear to pursue.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

The game released with nothing resembling the manifesto in place. A year later it’s as if the manifesto never existed. It was a publicity stunt. Anet uses them a lot along with their descriptions of content (dynamic events, living story) misnaming and misrepresenting things in order to sell them. It’s what they do. The game they said they were building doesn’t exist and it never will. Either you have to accept what you have, or you don’t. But those are the facts.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

“Didn’t go against JC’s explanation of it”? Then explain what happened to this part? “Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world”. Did you play GW1? If so think about it real hard and compare game-play and enhancements.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

They just need to add more unique rewards to completing a chain of dynamic events to somehow force players to spread out more and do these events since story, adventure, and lore are obviously not doing anything to make these events more appealing to the majority of the GW2 community. Like what they did to the daily bonus chests for World Events. You’ll notice that a lot people go to gw2stuff to tick down each and every world event for their homeworld and their guesting world every single day. They’re not doing it because they love to see the event over and over again. They’re doing it for the quick rewards. More loots, more gold, more buying power, more shinies. That’s what the majority of players in GW2 care about, really. And since most if not all shinies are readily available through TP, the best way to get your shinies is to formulate the most efficient way of earning gold and this is through Champ Farming, World boss dailies farming, and dungeon dailies farming.

I believe ANet is trying to capitalize on that in a way. I’m liking how they’re doing it to the world bosses like what they did with Teq. I wish they do the same with the normal Dynamic Events. They are just not worth doing anymore, IMO.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

it didnt live up to the hype. many lies.

Vayne.8563

Lie, of course, implies the intent to deceive. Since no one here can prove the intent to deceive, you’re all lying (unless you didn’t intend to deceive). lol

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Here the clarification as a direct quote from the link above (2010, August 13th):

Eric: Thanks, Dave. Yeah, in the video Ree is speaking about the player’s personal story, whereas Colin is talking about dynamic events.  We like to think of personal story choices being permanent and dynamic event choices being persistent. The difference being persistent choices will remain until something comes along and changes them. So for instance, in the personal story you may choose to let an NPC die, that NPC is likely to be an important story NPC that the player feels some attachment to, their death will be permanent and will have repercussions on the characters story. This would be reflected in instances. In the persistent world a dynamic event might result in an NPC being killed. This will be a more generic NPC like a merchant or a soldier who will likely be replaced once some other event takes place.

Colin: Right, when Ree refers to, “players will kill a boss and they won’t re-spawn 10 minutes later,” she is saying when playing through your personal story line if you kill a boss, that boss will stay dead and your personal story will reflect this. It’s not really physically possible to make each dynamic event permanent, because the game needs enough content for everyone to play, and we don’t have 10,000 people making content for Guild Wars 2, event chains need to cycle and events need to repeat to ensure players have enough to do in the persistent game world. Our goal with events is to ensure that when an event ends, you feel like it actually has some sort of outcome on the game world for all players, if even for a short period of time, where traditional MMO quest in persistent areas generally have no affect on the world.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Thanks for the write-up, OP. It’s nice to be able to read it in full.

On that note, it honestly just feels like one big fancy commercial.

And while we’re on the subject of posting things said by devs, my favorite piece has to be the one by Jeff Strain, “How To Create A Successful MMO”: http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Of course it’s a fancy commercial. And when you are going to throw around concepts like ‘fun’ and ‘grind’, which are highly subjective, of course a bunch of people are going to be bumhurt.

I wish people would just let it be and focus on the here and now. What does this accomplish anyway? It’s been over a whole year and those who are still here, are still here regardless of the ‘lies’. So why keep on going on and on and on about this same old poor dead horse that has been beaten down to nothing more than decrepit horse pulp…

Eww gross.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Vayne.8563

Of course it’s a fancy commercial. And when you are going to throw around concepts like ‘fun’ and ‘grind’, which are highly subjective, of course a bunch of people are going to be bumhurt.

I wish people would just let it be and focus on the here and now. What does this accomplish anyway? It’s been over a whole year and those who are still here, are still here regardless of the ‘lies’. So why keep on going on and on and on about this same old poor dead horse that has been beaten down to nothing more than decrepit horse pulp…

Eww gross.

It’s over a year since the game was released and the manifesto was released 2 years before that, so it’s three years old.

Some people just want to live in the past.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

“Didn’t go against JC’s explanation of it”? Then explain what happened to this part? “Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world”. Did you play GW1? If so think about it real hard and compare game-play and enhancements.

Except I was talking JC’s explanation in the context of Ree’s statement, in that yes, you did have a progressive story line even if it was.. Well. Crap. Like I said, you don’t have multiple situations of killing the sovereign eye of Zhaitan. And later on, after you defeated the Icebrood, you had the quaggans from Dredgehaunt Cliffs come back to help you in Orr. That’s what I meant. They did implement that, even if it was not necessarily perfect, it was still there to a reasonably noticeable degree.

I ? Karkas.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Spoiler!
~~~ArenaNet lied!~~~

I don’t think so.

No, no, NOOO! Those two were the WORST of the manifesto. I played this game for over twenty five hundred hours and I know full well that what they said was absolute rubbish.

I don’t feel like a hero. I feel like a bloody errand boy delivering crap to lazier than Obama npcs. I saved all of the villages in this game and when I come around to visit Their expression: “lol who are you? That doesn’t matter, have you seen X??” The only ones that remember are the heart npcs and the ones who were connected to that npc. Hearts is a step down by the way, a progress bar that says to do X, Y, Z, at least with the quest log view of things I could get some lore and a bit of entertainment out of it not to mention an actual reward instead of a few pennies.

Now, the combat in this game is a complete joke, anyone who argues otherwise hasn’t even reached a hundred hours of gameplay… That and dungeon runners, only because they panic and spam everything that isn’t already on cool-down. Aside from dodging and your own healing ability, there’s not much to it. If you play a dungeon the way the developers intended it as, you would get punished, not only by rewards but by other players as well.

Well yeah. That couldn’t make it 100%. But they did do it so some degree. If we’re going to peck at everything they failed that, that’s fine. But what they did do well, and did actually implement, they deserve credit for that.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The game released with nothing resembling the manifesto in place. A year later it’s as if the manifesto never existed. It was a publicity stunt. Anet uses them a lot along with their descriptions of content (dynamic events, living story) misnaming and misrepresenting things in order to sell them. It’s what they do. The game they said they were building doesn’t exist and it never will. Either you have to accept what you have, or you don’t. But those are the facts.

This is true. Remember the abomination that was the “new dungeon” (Canach’s Lair).

In the end, it doesn’t matter whether it was a lie, or broken promise, or purposefully misleading — the final result is that your customers no longer trust your words. That’s not good for business.

Vayne.8563

This is true. Remember the abomination that was the “new dungeon” (Canach’s Lair).

In the end, it doesn’t matter whether it was a lie, or broken promise, or purposefully misleading — the final result is that your customers no longer trust your words. That’s not good for business.

The final result is SOME customers no longer trust your words. I ran a business. I can tell you that no matter how well intentioned I was, someone was always dissatisfied and they no longer trusted my business. I retired from that business over a decade ago, but the business is still going strong.

Millions of people bought the game. If 100,000 people don’t trust Anet anymore…it won’t stop the game from succeeding and it won’t necessarily be bad for business.

There are a good dozen voices more or less on these forums that are massively negative. There are almost as many positive voices, as well. I don’t think the trust issue is as wide-spread as you think.

I saw the manifesto, I saw some change in what the company was doing, I saw why they did it. I don’t distrust the company for acting in the best interest of the game, which is what I believe they did.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Oh god. The manifesto again.

The game needs to evolve people. There is a market of MMO’s out there that is called “competition”. ANet needs to compete with them.

If people are getting bored of the manifesto-based content – ANet needs to deviate to continue the game, to keep more players interested and make profit (yes, ANet is a company whose primary goal is to make money – they are not a charity created to cheer people up)

If you will argue that people like the manifesto more – my only response is, “just because you’re the loudest, doesn’t mean you’re the majority”.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

The game needs to evolve people. There is a market of MMO’s out there that is called “competition”. ANet needs to compete with them.

If people are getting bored of the manifesto-based content – ANet needs to deviate to continue the game, to keep more players interested and make profit (yes, ANet is a company whose primary goal is to make money – they are not a charity created to cheer people up)

If you will argue that people like the manifesto more – my only response is, “just because you’re the loudest, doesn’t mean you’re the majority”.

I thought anet had wanted to be an unique snowflake.

Vayne.8563

Sure they wanted to be a unique snowflake. I want to run the three minute mile. Reality has other plans.

You can’t change the genre more than players will allow you to change it. Anet didn’t count on that.

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world. One year after and still waiting Guild Halls, GvG and Guildcape.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Sure they wanted to be a unique snowflake. I want to run the three minute mile. Reality has other plans.

You can’t change the genre more than players will allow you to change it. Anet didn’t count on that.

You keep implying they had no choice but to change course; that they were faced with the choice of selling out or shutting down. You keep implying that they wanted to blaze a new path for the genre, but the world refused to let them do so. You don’t know that they weren’t making plenty of money and just wanted that extra bit more anymore that we don’t know that they weren’t making enough money to stay the course. So can we please drop the “it’s our fault, not theirs” routine?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Jumping puzzles, world bosses, champs and dungeons are my idea of fun, and you need to do those to get ascended weapons too :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Vayne.8563

You keep implying they had no choice but to change course; that they were faced with the choice of selling out or shutting down. You keep implying that they wanted to blaze a new path for the genre, but the world refused to let them do so. You don’t know that they weren’t making plenty of money and just wanted that extra bit more anymore that we don’t know that they weren’t making enough money to stay the course. So can we please drop the “it’s our fault, not theirs” routine?

I’ve actually never said they had no choice. I’ve said THEY BELIEVED they had no choice. There’s a big difference.

I think it could have worked in different ways, but the risk would have been higher. Unfortunately, I don’t feel it’s my place to tell someone who invested millions of dollars into a project how that project needs to be run to take care of business. I either like the product, or I don’t. If I don’t, I walk away.

But I don’t judge, because I’ve been in business and I’ve been forced to make changes I absolutely hated. Some of them stick in my throat to this day.

It’s POSSIBLE they could have done other things, but they didn’t and we’ll never know. But I can’t think of anything they could have done with less associated risk, that’s all.

knives.6345

Sure they do. But if that will make profit go beyond the margin, they will change strategy – as with all other business out there.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

If people are bored of the manifesto-based content.

Well, they aren’t. That’s the thing.

The non-manifesto, anti-manifesto content is what people are complaining about.

Vayne.8563

You’re claiming people aren’t bored of dynamic events and personal stories? Ummmm, I’ve read otherwise on these forums. There’s a lot of stuff in the manifesto that didn’t live up to expectations, which you can clearly here from many of these threads.

Anet saw people ignoring events, and they saw people complaining about the personal story and they came up with something else.

Keep in mind all the stuff in the manifesto was how the game basically started and people were walking away fairly quickly…much more quickly than they are now from what I can see anyway.

knives.6345

Oh? People are still actively doing all those “dynamic” events? I heard most are just champ farming.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

And you wonder why Anet won’t give a straight answer about a lot of things. I don’t know about Anet, but I know I’m tired of seeing the kittening thing.
It’s one thing to lobby for a change in the gamestate or help shape and push it in a direction that you would like or feel that it would be better, its another to cling to this one kittening statement and whip it out like its the golden law every week.

You can bet if Anet learned anything from the Manifesto…its to not have one out there and to say as little as possible because this is what happens.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

And you wonder why Anet won’t give a straight answer about a lot of things. I don’t know about Anet, but I know I’m tired of seeing the kittening thing.
It’s one thing to lobby for a change in the gamestate or help shape and push it in a direction that you would like or feel that it would be better, its another to cling to this one kittening statement and whip it out like its the golden law every week.

You can bet if Anet learned anything from the Manifesto…its to not have one out there and to say as little as possible because this is what happens.

I can’t think of one game that Ive played in the last 10 years that had as bold of a mission statement as Arenanet’s manifesto. Developers don’t do that. They don’t sit in front of camera and make bold claims about what their game will be, wont be, etc. And then later on when things aren’t working out, they claim that we ‘mis understood’.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Vayne.8563

I can’t think of one game that Ive played in the last 10 years that had as bold of a mission statement as Arenanet’s manifesto. Developers don’t do that. They don’t sit in front of camera and make bold claims about what their game will be, wont be, etc. And then later on when things aren’t working out, they claim that we ‘mis understood’.

I remember Rift devs making some pretty bold claims. Maybe you weren’t listening?