The Mounts are Useless

The Mounts are Useless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

I don’t even understand why so many players wanted them, are they suppose to compensate for something? But anyway here are the reasons why they are useless:

1) Waypoints are faster.
Which I point out with insufferable smugness is something I said since the leaks came out and for a fact even ANET agrees with me here. How do I know that? Simple the Crystal Oasis is only about 33-50% bigger than Frostgorge Sound, however Frostgorge Sound has 16 waypoints while Crystal Oasis has only 3. So it’s obvious you need a source of fast transportation when you have so few waypoints in such a big area, but it doesn’t really give much use in the old areas as they have a high concentration of waypoints. So in other words it’s a forced necessity.
Now someone is going to pull out this BS argument that there can’t be so many waypoints in the Crystal Desert because the Asura didn’t have time to set the WP network there properly. Well ok but what about the newly discovered places in Heart of Maguuma like Tarir or Rata Novus? They obviously had no link before their discovery either yet they have their own waypoints.
Still regardless of the argument on the lack of waypoints their lack is the main reason the mounts get their use from.

2) They do nothing new.
Honestly we already have lots of masteries that do exactly the same stuff as them i.e. jumping over gaps, reaching high places: Updrafts, Leylines, Bouncing Mushrooms, Nuhoch Wallows, Rift Traveler, Explosive Launch, Thermal Propulsion, Oakheart’s Reach. We can already do all that the mounts can do ok? Heck even normal Gliding would work if this was for real, because how often do you see gaps which have edges on both sides that are level? But if they were not the Raptor could only jump over them from the higher edge, while from lower it wouldn’t make it just as Gliding can’t.
The only reason we need them is because HoT masteries are useless in the Crystal Desert.
And I find it a real lack of creativity that all 4 mounts will have separate masteries.
Why couldnt we instead have a mastery that is focused on the magic portals from GW1?
I mean even one of the mastery points requires solving one of these nostalgia puzzles. These portals however would work in a way that they have many different exit points and our mastery rank would decide which exits we can and cannot use and be required to solve higher tier puzzles for the portals.
Which would also be a good replacement for the waypoints as it would work kinda like the temple waypoints in Siren’s Landing.

3) It’s not a realistic approach.
If there is one thing that the battle with Zhaitan taught me is that thechnology is the answer. And I know for a fact that mobile vehicles do exist in this universe – there is a mission in Orr where you guard tanks and the HoT adventure Drone Race is where we drive vehicles.
So if this was for real I would ask the Pact to get me a Desert Buggy or something like that for my upcoming trip to the Crystal Desert.

4) They don’t fly.
Really if we got a mount that flies that would not only be far more exciting, but that mount would be able to get around all the obstacles the other ones can.

So no I’m not excited for the mounts, I’m just really curious why would ANET give in and listen to the community on this one? Because there is really no point in this game for them.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

….
, I’m just really curious why would ANET give in and listen to the community on this one? ….

i dunno maybe they wanted to… listen to what the community wanted? i think you A’d your own Q on this one.

listening to waht the community wants and meeting said wants is a good thing

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

1. There less waypoints in the new maps

2. Uuh they are mounts.. what should they do more? A mobile trade market??

3 even today we have horses being used irl..

4 flying?? If WoW could redo that they would have removed it from there game instandly..

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So no I’m not excited for the mounts, I’m just really curious why would ANET give in and listen to the community on this one? Because there is really no point in this game for them.

There are points.

1. Training the Masteries for them gives people something to do. Since MMO’s survive by giving people things to occupy (waste) their time doing, and since many players demand more to do, this point benefits a lot of players and ANet.
  2. While I may not understand why, people like mounts, whether the reason is that riding is more immersive than teleporting, they like the look and feel of them or whatever else.
  3. A lot of people asked for mounts. Giving them mounts tied to a new XPac will have an effect on sales.
  4. ANet can sell mount skins, just as they sell glider skins.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Ares Teh God.9768

Ares Teh God.9768

4) They don’t fly.
Really if we got a mount that flies that would not only be far more exciting, but that mount would be able to get around all the obstacles the other ones can.

Flying is one of the worst things they ever added to WoW, I much prefer ground mounts instead of just flying over everything and feeling disconnected from the world. Anet has been reducing the amount of way points of maps since Dry Top.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

Honestly we already have lots of masteries that do exactly the same stuff as them i.e. jumping over gaps, reaching high places: Updrafts, Leylines, Bouncing Mushrooms, Nuhoch Wallows, Rift Traveler, Explosive Launch, Thermal Propulsion, Oakheart’s Reach. We can already do all that the mounts can do ok?

This is all you had to say.
Now go read how folks do not want to take the time to unlock these features that you and I took the time to do.

They are leveling the playing field once again.

However, blood vessels will burst out of foreheads when they realize they have to unlock mounts with masteries as well.

It will be fast and easy for folks like us because we know how all this works.
We will then squeal like a couple teenage girls at a New Kids on the Block concert in excitement only to be resented all over again.

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

They did it so that people who wanted mounts would shut up about them already and buy PoF. I agree, GW2 never needed mounts, but there was a ridiculous yet vocal demand for them, so there you go.

At least the dead horse can now rest in peace.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Not so fast, because now you see threads wanting more from mounts. Legendary footfalls from mounts. Strafing. More this, more that, more sparklies. That dead horse will continue to be beaten for quite a while to come.

Give them an inch, they take a mile.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

They did it so that people who wanted mounts would shut up about them already and buy PoF. I agree, GW2 never needed mounts, but there was a ridiculous yet vocal demand for them, so there you go.

Attachments:

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

GW2 never needed any of the mechanics, either, that were mentioned above: ley-lines, mushrooms, wallows, lava catapults, oakheart essences, and what not.

IMO, gliding and riding a mount of your choice would have sufficed.

Now the game is cramped with too many travel mechanics, and now they came up with a dozen mounts with different functionalities, which you will all need to be able to play through 100% of PoF’s content, which is no better (and no different!) than the insanity of HoT and LWS3.

You see, mounts per se are not the problem…

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

1. There less waypoints in the new maps

3 even today we have horses being used irl..

4 flying?? If WoW could redo that they would have removed it from there game instandly..

1. Do you think that the developers looked at what they created and said, “Wow. There aren’t many waypoints. We should create mounts so people can get around faster?” That would was much simpler than just adding more waypoints…

2. They should have more than one skill is what the OP is saying.

3. So? What does that have to do with anything?

4. Really? You know this because…? Also, let me remind you this is not WoW and Anet seems perfectly happy with gliding. They even implemented it everywhere but instances.

Your arguments really aren’t substantial. The best argument that can be made for mounts is that Anet listed to the large section of the community that wanted mounts and honored their wishes.

I didn’t want mounts in any way, shape or fashion. I’m going to give them a chance. I like what little I played on the raptor, but the jury is still out for me.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

+1

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Honestly we already have lots of masteries that do exactly the same stuff as them i.e. jumping over gaps, reaching high places: Updrafts, Leylines, Bouncing Mushrooms, Nuhoch Wallows, Rift Traveler, Explosive Launch, Thermal Propulsion, Oakheart’s Reach. We can already do all that the mounts can do ok?

This is all you had to say.
Now go read how folks do not want to take the time to unlock these features that you and I took the time to do.

They are leveling the playing field once again.

However, blood vessels will burst out of foreheads when they realize they have to unlock mounts with masteries as well.

It will be fast and easy for folks like us because we know how all this works.
We will then squeal like a couple teenage girls at a New Kids on the Block concert in excitement only to be resented all over again.

Updrafts, mushrooms, etc. are all HoT masteries. Players who do not to buy HoT won’t have access to them at all. Each expansion is depending only on its own masteries. I think this is a smart business decision to not alienate new players, and also to make each expansion feel unique.

Also, the top argument is kind of like saying, “We already have specs that can deal damage, why introduce more?”

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

1) Waypoints are faster.
And a lot less immersive. This is something I always liked in WoW, when you travel through the world you are actually travelling through the world, not teleport anywhere instantly with zero effort. Waypoints made Tyria feel incredibly small. Apart from a few exceptions (like portals between cities) you shouldn’t be able to travel from one side of the world to the other in a second. Unfortunately it’s too late to remove them now, they are simply too integrated into the game. But at least now with mounts I can ignore them and still travel efficiently.

2) They do nothing new.
They do what mounts are supposed to do, make you travel faster. That’s all that’s required of them.

It’s not realistic to use swords, bows and catapults in a world where we have automatic rifles, tanks, helicopters and combat mechs either, yet we do. It’s a common theme in many games where new and old tech are being used together, it’s not realistic no but it is fun, and that’s all that counts.

4) They don’t fly.
We have gliding already.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Simple answer: don’t use them.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Yes mounts and HoT masteries share a lot of the same functionality but where those HoT masteries typically can only be used in certain places (like bounce mushrooms, for example) mounts give you access to those abilities throughout the world.

That seems like a huge advantage to me. I’m looking forward to doing world completion on my raptor.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

GW2 never needed any of the mechanics, either, that were mentioned above: ley-lines, mushrooms, wallows, lava catapults, oakheart essences, and what not.

IMO, gliding and riding a mount of your choice would have sufficed.

Now the game is cramped with too many travel mechanics, and now they came up with a dozen mounts with different functionalities, which you will all need to be able to play through 100% of PoF’s content, which is no better (and no different!) than the insanity of HoT and LWS3.

You see, mounts per se are not the problem…

This! So much! Mounts are nothing new in many games, WoW did not originate mounts, or flying mounts for that matter either, they have been around since way back, nothing new with the addition of mounts themselves. But these are not really mounts, they are substitutes for previously used mechanics such as jumping mushrooms, Zepherite skills…skirting over water, over sand. Its not the mount that is the problem, its what it is being used as. No problem if you like the previous expansions ways of getting around and are willing to commit to slogging out mastery points again for each and every skill, like HoT’s masteries, only these are called mount masteries. And you won’t be able to experience all the areas without them, same as HoT.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Waypoints are faster.
Waypoints might be faster but unless you’re not planning to move away from the waypoints then you’ll need to run from there to where you’re going, or use a mount. And mounts are faster than running. A lot faster.

They do nothing new.
They allow you to jump over gaps, jump high up and glide over water without having to look around for an environmental object first. If there isn’t an environmental object nearby then you can’t perform the leaps or glides.

It’s not a realistic approach.
Riding animals was realistic for thousands of years and mounts are still used today in preference to machines in some places as animals can go where machines can not.

They don’t fly.
Probably just as well. Flying is great for the individual player but can cause trouble for the game as a whole. WoW Devs have come out and said they regret adding flying mounts to the game and they’ve spent the last couple of expansions locking flying out till close to expansion end.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

1) Waypoints are faster.
Which I point out with insufferable smugness is something I said since the leaks came out and for a fact even ANET agrees with me here. How do I know that? Simple the Crystal Oasis is only about 33-50% bigger than Frostgorge Sound, however Frostgorge Sound has 16 waypoints while Crystal Oasis has only 3. So it’s obvious you need a source of fast transportation when you have so few waypoints in such a big area, but it doesn’t really give much use in the old areas as they have a high concentration of waypoints. So in other words it’s a forced necessity.

And Arenanet recognized that the waypoint density of core Tyria was bad. Every map since Dry Top (and even before – Southsun only has a few) has had significantly fewer waypoints that were in the core game. This is healthier than the core game. Sure, it means those areas don’t really need mounts…..but they were never meant to.

2) They do nothing new.

People can own PoF without owning HoT. This id important because it means a new player won’t have any of the means of travel you just mentioned. So how will that person cross the gap? They don’t have Ley-Line Gliding available to them, but they do have a raptor. Which brings me to another point: why can’t the game have multiple means of similar travel? It’s utterly absurd for Anet to say, “Well, players can now glide from cliff to cliff, therefore we can never have anything else that moves you across such a gap.”

And frankly, it’s exactly this (plus the smooth animations) that make GW2 mounts feel like more than a glorified speed boost. They do something.

If there is one thing that the battle with Zhaitan taught me is that thechnology is the answer. And I know for a fact that mobile vehicles do exist in this universe – there is a mission in Orr where you guard tanks and the HoT adventure Drone Race is where we drive vehicles.
So if this was for real I would ask the Pact to get me a Desert Buggy or something like that for my upcoming trip to the Crystal Desert.

I am completely in favor of Charr Car mounts. But since when was riding a fast beast “unrealistic?” We’ve been doing it for thousands of years irl.

4) They don’t fly.

You seem to be blissfully unaware of the ungodly number of design issues that would create. There is a very, very good reason why the “slowly drifting upward” gliding only exists in a couple places, all of them with strict restrictions.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Waypoints are faster.
Waypoints might be faster but unless you’re not planning to move away from the waypoints then you’ll need to run from there to where you’re going, or use a mount. And mounts are faster than running. A lot faster.

Mounts make you move twice as fast!

Btw we doubled the distance between locations…

Faster mounts accomplish nothing?

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I like the Mounts. I wasn’t that keen on the Oakheart mode of travel, though many are. Bouncing Mushrooms are ok, but limited in area of use. Thermal Propulsion is fun, but again limited in area of use. Wallows are really just restricted Waypoints.

I suppose, with Mounts, one could forego their use except where specifically needed, and just imagine that the previous mechanic was placed in that spot. In the demo, at least, it took very little time to gather the Mastery Points (I gathered 4 or 5, and never even found the Chef one), and XP required. I completed the first 2 Tracks, and gathered all the XP for the third track (which was locked); I didn’t even play that much during the demo, maybe a total of 8 hours?

Regardless, Path of Fire could not be a stand-alone expansion and incorporate all the previous Masteries, as well. Since there had to be new Masteries, might as well give something a lot, so it seemed, of players wanted.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Mounts are not about being mounts, they’re about making “walking” fun. If you walk from the DR portal to Shaemoor, it’s more fun to hop over the canyon on a kittening kitten raptor than to putz across on your feet. Same result, one is more fun.

The Mounts are Useless

Just a flesh wound.3589

Waypoints are faster.

Not really. Those mounts are so fast that crossing from the bottom of the map to the northernmost point we can reach was a very short time. In fact, I was thinking they make that large map seem too small because they cover ground so quickly.

And remember, it’s not just the new expansion maps that will have mounts. It’s all the maps, including all the vanilla maps with their many waypoints.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Waypoints are faster.

Not really. Those mounts are so fast that crossing from the bottom of the map to the northernmost point we can reach was a very short time. In fact, I was thinking they make that large map seem too small because they cover ground so quickly.

Then they only re-did a problem they were having before. Remember WHY waypoints were becoming more scarce? So dying had impact in a fight. So you couldnt just bull rush a boss with death after death.

So even with the few waypoints in the area, with the mounts, its better to just die, WP, run back with mount than worry bout surviving or rezzing people.

Back to square one

And remember, it’s not just the new expansion maps that will have mounts. It’s all the maps, including all the vanilla maps with their many waypoints.

Goody. That makes the content even more trivial. Any new players wont be able to make it to events in time unless they too buy the expansion.

(edited by Serophous.9085)

The Mounts are Useless

Just a flesh wound.3589

Waypoints are faster.

Then they only re-did a problem they were having before. Remember WHY waypoints were becoming more scarce? So dying had impact in a fight. So you couldnt just bull rush a boss with death after death.

So even with the few waypoints in the area, with the mounts, its better to just die, WP, run back with mount than worry bout surviving or rezzing people.

Back to square one

Goody. That makes the content even more trivial. Any new players wont be able to make it to events in time unless they too buy the expansion.

That’s possible.

Remember I said that I was thinking the mounts are so fast that they make that large map appear small. It could be a problem, for example, with daily events where all the riders can move at super speed to event location and all those without PoF struggle along behind. It’s also a problem if maps now seem too small no matter how big ANet can make them.

I’m not sure what a good solution would be at this time though. They are in game. They can’t be removed, but maybe a nerf to speed is something ANet should consider.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Waypoints are faster.

Back to square one

That’s possible.

Remember I said that I was thinking the mounts are so fast that they make that large map appear small. It could be a problem, for example, with daily events where all the riders can move at super speed to event location and all those without PoF struggle along behind. It’s also a problem if maps now seem too small no matter how big ANet can make them.

I’m not sure what a good solution would be at this time though. They are in game. They can’t be removed, but maybe a nerf to speed is something ANet should consider.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t just give them a static 25% speed boost and call it a day.

No need to constantly stack swiftness on builds which don’t have it (as the new elites probably won’t since HoT’s did) accomplishes easier transportation and the most-demanded part of it all: just the aesthetic of a mount.

I still am not fond of mounts because I think it’s unnecessary clutter and prefer enjoying the scale of the maps rather than just getting past some arbitrary gate to go superspeed.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Tashigi.3159

Tashigi.3159

If you don’t want to use the mounts, you don’t have to.
The expansion is designed with them in mind, however, so… don’t get POF? IDK Man, it’s too late even if they wanted to somehow get rid of them (Which would be a bad idea IMO, as a LOT of us are happy for mounts).

P.S Flying mounts would be a terrible idea IMO.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Manijin.3428

Manijin.3428

Maybe, in spite of all the points against them, mounts will just… be fun? I enjoyed riding on the raptor, even if I never felt like I needed to, and I think that’s really the point. Sure, Waypoints are better for covering distance in a timely fashion, and are established in the world… but jumping on a raptor is a method of movement that’s fun. I like fun things, even if they aren’t necessary for 99% of the content.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Mounts are probably the most popular items in MMOs and are very easy to sell. They will be far more commonly used than gliders and just look at how many people bought those. After HoT’s losses, it’s no surprise that they would try something as big as mounts.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I actually vastly prefer mount over HoT masteries.

What are the difference?
For HoT masteries, it only works on section where they provide the interactable objects like mushroom tab or updrifts.

For mount, you can change it/ use it whenever you want, meaning you can choose when to use their special feature any time you want.

This is a bonus to me.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

The Mounts are Useless

Just a flesh wound.3589

Waypoints are faster.

Back to square one

That’s possible.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t just give them a static 25% speed boost and call it a day.

No need to constantly stack swiftness on builds which don’t have it (as the new elites probably won’t since HoT’s did) accomplishes easier transportation and the most-demanded part of it all: just the aesthetic of a mount.

I still am not fond of mounts because I think it’s unnecessary clutter and prefer enjoying the scale of the maps rather than just getting past some arbitrary gate to go superspeed.

I’m beginning to think that you’re right. That they should have had the max of +25%

Don’t get me wrong. I love superspeed on the mounts. Watch me race across the map! Watch me speed past all the mobs who don’t have a prayer of catching me! Fun fun fun!

Flying is great for one person but bad for the game as a whole and I’m thinking that superspeed is the same. Great fun for the individual player. But it makes the biggest map tiny and the mobs even more irrelevant since you can sprint past them. Even the Hydra which was trying to firebomb me on my mount couldn’t touch my speed as I went past.

ANet may give it to you.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, there are more waypoints in Orr than there are in most of the new zones, but most of them are contested most of the time. Mounts are never contested.

If you’re going to present an argument, why not present the entire argument.

Mounts are superior to waypoints for one reason. : Everyone has the same waypoints but people can customize mounts. They can choose a favorite mount. A mount can become part of the identity of your character. This and this alone was the reason I wanted mounts. Not because they were faster or could do cool stuff. It’s a matter of personalization, something waypoints don’t do at all.

Therefore mounts are superior to waypoints in every way that matters to me.

The Mounts are Useless

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m thinking the OP has it completely backwards. He says mounts are useless. imo, it’s the opposite. They’re useful, maybe too useful as they are now. Once they get in the game it’s going to be very few people who own PoF who give up that speed boost and go without. The ability to cross a map at speed and get to events and get back to events after death will be a big advantage. And then there’s the ability to outrun and outjump past mobs. Also is the ability to get up on things above our current reach or requires a lot of effort.

No, they are far from useless.

ANet may give it to you.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

Aren’t mounts borderline required to reach certain areas? That alone makes them the exact opposite of useless..

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

It just never ends………………………………………………..

Attachments:

Hate is Fuel.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Waypoints:

• Instant travel
  • Set locations
  • Place to ressurect at
  • Have a small cost to use

Mounts:

• Faster than walking travel
  • Can be used everywhere
  • Still need to ressurect at a waypoint
  • No cost attached

Make your own judgement. But waypoints and mounts are not basically the same thing.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

I don’t even understand why so many players wanted them, are they suppose to compensate for something? But anyway here are the reasons why they are useless:

1. Correct, however there are situations where you want to traverse the space between the waypoints. Be it map completion, gathering, searching for the guild bounty target, the reasons are plenty.

2. Moving faster is already enough of a feature. Plus, they add another customization layer. Fashion Wars 2, remember?

3. Realism in a fantasy MMO game. Please… It doesn’t have to be realistic, it has to be fun. Which mounts kinda are.

4. Of course they don’t. ANet doesn’t want to render gliders useless. They want to offer another cool feature.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: feanorian.8753

feanorian.8753

The mounts are cooooooooooooool, that’s enough.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Are mounts necessary? No. Are they fun? For me and many others, yes.

Ultimately, fun trumps necessity, because it’s a game at the end of the day. Let people have their fun. XD

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

A year ago I would have probably said no to the idea of adding mounts to Guild Wars 2. But here is a plus point to getting mounts in Guild Wars 2: we’ll no longer be forced to waste a slot on a signet or utility skill for swiftness, forced to take a trait, or even an entire rune set, just to get around the map faster or keep up to the group or squad. Anet also implemented the mounts in ways that make them more than just glorified speed boosters. Each mount has its own unique aspects tthat set apart from the others and gives it more value than just picking whichever one you think looks best.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

And I find it a real lack of creativity that all 4 mounts will have separate masteries.
Why couldnt we instead have a mastery that is focused on the magic portals from GW1?
I mean even one of the mastery points requires solving one of these nostalgia puzzles. These portals however would work in a way that they have many different exit points and our mastery rank would decide which exits we can and cannot use and be required to solve higher tier puzzles for the portals.

wait! so… not having played gw1 myself, all i understand is:
instead of working for the mastery points, gaining xp and then use both to unlock several different mounts with different skills, hell even different mastery stages, granting you more and more possibilities the deeper you dive into the mastery thread, you find it more creative to just solve a few puzzles which will give you progression immediatly?
yea… sooo much more creative.

all i see here is yet another “mimimi mounts suck because WoW has mounts too and we hate new stuff in gw2” post that won’t affect ANets direction in any way…

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

In short –
Mounts will be an absolute requirement in SOME situations in the same way that gliding was.
You can walk the rest of the time.
There won’t be lots of WP any more, so dying means a LONG walk back instead of jumping the canyon.
The story, where you first meet and use the raptor, doesn’t even require you to ride it to complete!

Sorry…that was me….. :(

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Errr, WoW has mounts like that (well, at least mounts including vendors), so be careful of what you wish for But I suspect you are well aware of that fact

I like to think so too, it absolutely killed the exploration aspect of the game and made it far too easy for people to just rush through content (fly to objective, dismount, do stuff, mount up again, fly back skipping every single mob/hinderness inbetween…). Not to mention it absolutely killed world PvP (if you were into that sort of thing, that is)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

The mounts aren’t useless in the zone we got them in. They added a unique way around uniquely built challenges.
They are useless in core Tyria, for all the reasons you mentioned, but whatever. People still want them, and now that we’re getting them, I guess there’s no point in complaining about it. I just REALLY hope they actually make “no mount” zones. Real ones. Amnoon had one, but did literally nothing but give you a little tag above your skill bar. Hopefully that’s just a beta thing, and once more work is done, you’ll actually be forced off your mount in crowded areas.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

The mounts aren’t useless in the zone we got them in. They added a unique way around uniquely built challenges.
They are useless in core Tyria, for all the reasons you mentioned, but whatever.

Actually they are not. They’ll allow a great many classes to free up utility slots/traits for more useful ones than mobility. Some even can stop gearing to just not be slow as molasses on top of the above (Guardians represent)

After playing the demo for a bit (only played a few hours to not spoil too much) I quickly started missing the mount when I went back to HoT Tyria…

Consider this naysayer converted (that said, I do really hope they will be disabled in cities)

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Simple answer: don’t use them.

I didn’t use them except to get across places with the jump thing since gliding couldn’t quite get there. You have to dismount to gather, fight, etc so that to me it just wasn’t worth to keep getting the mount out. I could get there almost as fast and do more while on foot.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Pff, “Useless”. Give me that Springer so I can start making some jumps that were otherwise a huge pain in the kitten before. Not even talking about jumping puzzles, just random exploring in open world.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I want my waypoints back. I don’t care for having to run through a zone. Sure it’s probably fun the first two times but afterwards it’s just a tedious thing to do.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: timkunedo.4392

timkunedo.4392

Mounts are what brought me back to the game. It was my biggest complaint. Waypoints suck. They serve a purpose to get somewhere quickly, but there’s no joy in it. It’s not exciting or anything. Mounts are FUN! I had a blast this past weekend with the raptor mount and immediately pre-purchased the expansion.

The Mounts are Useless

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

OP, there are more waypoints in Orr than there are in most of the new zones, but most of them are contested most of the time. Mounts are never contested.

If you’re going to present an argument, why not present the entire argument.

Mounts are superior to waypoints for one reason. : Everyone has the same waypoints but people can customize mounts. They can choose a favorite mount. A mount can become part of the identity of your character. This and this alone was the reason I wanted mounts. Not because they were faster or could do cool stuff. It’s a matter of personalization, something waypoints don’t do at all.

Therefore mounts are superior to waypoints in every way that matters to me.

That’s just it Vayne, in “every way that matters to you.”

As I said before, I was clearly in the “No Mounts” category. I’ve softened a bit and will give them a try. I still respect, for many reasons, those that still don’t want them in game. Some of the reasons I didn’t want them still exist.

I’m not saying mounts are good or bad at this point, but I understand both sides.

It’s all good, however. I still won’t love the game or the people playing it any less.