The Skinny Privilege of GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Melroc.8290

Melroc.8290

I find it disgusting that you cant make a character with heavier body styles. Whats wrong with us people wanting to stay somewhat connected to our character by having it reflect my real-life body. No one has the six pack green abs of the sylvari character in game.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Not sure if serious…

(edited by Moderator)

Melroc.8290

Not sure if serious…

Just because its a big body doesnt mean its hideous.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

You can make big bodied humans/norns (well norns are default big).

But if you’re asking for huge Asurans, you’re breaking the fantasy/lore rules.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I think if you include all of the races (namely Norn) you’d be able to find several body types including the “skinny” ones I guess.

But it is a fantasy game. No, none of the players have green six packs, but then no ones made of trees, either…

Anyway, suggestion #1 play a norn?

Edit: also there are plenty of chubby Asura body types. Just don’t see them all that often.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Melroc.8290

I think if you include all of the races (namely Norn) you’d be able to find several body types including the “skinny” ones I guess.

But it is a fantasy game. No, none of the players have green six packs, but then no ones made of trees, either…

Uh, I was just making a character dude. Sylvari have green six packs

Lilith Ajit.6173

Uh, I was just making a character dude. Sylvari have green six packs

… I said that the player doesn’t have a green six pack… O.o

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

So if someone has six packs… WHAT? There are body types without six packs.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

It’s a fantasy MMO, not reflective of real life.

(edited by Moderator)

Melroc.8290

So if someone has six packs… WHAT? There are body types without six packs.

They’re either big and muscular or disgustingly skinny

Melroc.8290

What? Is this a troll or is this serious? It’s a fantasy MMO, not reflective of real life.

But I want to feel a connection to my character.

Lilith Ajit.6173

I didn’t think all Norn body types were muscular…

Also not all Asura body types are small… Some are quite rotund.

Anyway I’m backing out of this thread because I don’t really feel it is conducive to constructive conversation.

[ARES]

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I find it disgusting that you cant make a character that is more reflective of the vast majority of MMO players. Whats wrong with us REAL people wanting to stay somewhat connected to our character by having it reflect my REAL body. No one has the six pack green abs of the sylvari character in game. I find this irresponsible and I will NOT be allowing my children to play this game until its fixed.

Yea, I agree with you.

(edited by Moderator)

Dahkeus.8243

I didn’t think all Norn body types were muscular…

Also not all Asura body types are small… Some are quite rotund.

Anyway I’m backing out of this thread because I don’t really feel it is conducive to constructive conversation.

Only if you’re talking about male Norn.

Men can be fat, but women can’t. It’s a sad double standard that a female’s worth is so tightly wound into how attractive they are that the concept of playing a fat female character in a video game is beyond comprehension for most people.

Dahkeus.8243

Few people look like the ripped/super thin characters that devs make up.

Fewer people realize that not looking like this isn’t an inherently bad thing.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

If I wanted to look at a real life body similar to mine I’d go look in a mirror. And then stop gaming for a month.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

To be fair, Tyria doesn’t have cars, McDonalds, nor the internet. They walk or run everywhere. I’m betting the character creation options are fairly accurate.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

To be fair, Tyria doesn’t have cars, McDonalds, nor the internet. The walk or run everywhere. I’m betting the character creation options are fairly accurate.

Indeed, they don’t eat junk food and they don’t sit on their backsides watching TV all day. And no I’m not suggesting anyone who isn’t a size zero does that before anyone gets their knickers ina twist.

Instead they are out chopping down trees, mining ore and fighting dragons.

I.e. they don’t eat a load of junk and get lots of exercise. Is it any surprise they are all slim and/or muscular?

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Teaching children about “skinny privilege” early is a good thing. It’s alive and well in the real world and always will be. I see no reason whatsoever to change the game to make anyone feel artificially better about themselves. If looking at body types in the game makes someone feel bad, it’s just motivation to do something about it.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Leaf.3156

Leaf.3156

Few people look like the ripped/super thin characters that devs make up.

Fewer people realize that not looking like this isn’t an inherently bad thing.

And the norn are hardly ripped, they’re bear-mode. I’ve also yet to see a truly super-thin character. Some body types are somewhat on the skinny side, like the twig body for female sylvari and certain human body types, but nothing unhealthy. Gotta say some of the proportions are off though, unless Tyria has already invented breast implants. Wouldn’t surprise me with all the weird techno crap we’ve been seeing in the LS.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Even if you could make heavier characters they’d simply loose all that weight from running everywhere and fighting all the time. Unless ofc you do nothing but stand in LA playing the TP, which tbh is the mental picture I have of them anyhow.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I would not be adverse to it, just think about the “monk” archetype a la brother Tuck.

I guess the main reason for not having that body type would be a technical one, in a sense of having to fit the armour in a different way. Then again it should be possible.

I do believe there are some human NPC’s that are a tad rounder.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

edit: For the people taking this thread seriously: please don’t.
It is usually possible to customize to your appearance when you consider every combination, racial and otherwise. Everything from a gorgeous blonde to a pot-bellied dwarf, really. There are a lot of options, and I recommend you visit all of them before returning here. However, if you limit yourself to a certain race, such as a Sylvari (but I didn’t want these leafy things), an Asura (why can’t I make myself 9 feet tall? Ridiculous!), or a Norn (stupid game, I just want to be an average height) you’ll run into issues.
The point here is that there are “REAL” options – but everyone isn’t like you. There are muscular people, there are fat people; there are tall people, and there are short people. I don’t blame you for not finding all the options on your first go, as there are a lot of them, but please fully educate yourself on your possibilities before complaining about them.
If you want a fat, squat human who spits, kittens and other deplorable acts of depravity and debauchery… well, see the attachment below.
Despite all this, however, I must unfortunately concede that it is impossible to appear as a 12-fingered ape or a toe-talented ogre – in which case, you have my envy, as your piano skills must be remarkable.

Attachments:

(edited by Requiem.8769)

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Fantasy MMORPG.

Fantasy

Not real. Projecting yourself on to your character only enables you to disconnect from reality further. Playing a video game is supposed to be fun and social. Not a substitute for reality. Although yes I would support more realistic body choices, I’m also not against the ones provided. The less I feel like I’m my character, the less I’ll want to live in Tyria and get some actual sun.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Are you a piece of wood irl? Why else would you want to play a Sylvari to feel connected to your character?

[DONE]

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I can’t play an MMO and have a six pack?!?!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I have a six pack… in my fridge but not for long because it will be in my stomach soon.

The Burninator

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I find it disgusting that you cant make a character that is more reflective of the vast majority of MMO players. Whats wrong with us REAL people wanting to stay somewhat connected to our character by having it reflect my REAL body. No one has the six pack green abs of the sylvari character in game. I find this irresponsible and I will NOT be allowing my children to play this game until its fixed.

I have a six-pack. Not a green six-pack of course, but still. The sylvari is actually the closest to my body type that any MMORPG has ever gotten.

Anyway… you’re playing a fictional game set in a fictional world. Chances are that the characters aren’t going to reflect your body. They fight large monsters, they have to run everywhere they go, and they’ve gone through 80 levels of training to get their body type so muscular and hardened. You on the other hand live in a modern day world where you sit at a computer (probably) and play games all day. You have a car to get around without using many muscles. You probably don’t have to fight with monsters all day long (unless your wife asks you to make dinner).

MMO’s had bulky, muscular characters that did not reflect my body type at all. World of Warcraft was one of those MMO’s. Did I complain? No, because of the reasons I listed above. Plus (And I’m not saying this to be rude at all) I would rather not have a character walk up to me and he takes up 85% of my screen with his size. I wouldn’t be able to see the Black Lion Trader’s when all the people crowd around them.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

I will say that I gained a high amount of respect for Bioware with their body type 4 in SWTOR.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

Sylvari is a tree’s vision of a human being. Ventari’s perspective of the humans it encountered. I think its perfectly reasonable they can have a six pack, in that kind of lore and the personality to travel and meet such a life form.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: Kon.9106

Kon.9106

Every race has like 3 skinny choices to choose from than there’s the chubby one and than there’s the buff one and than the ripped one.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

How dare you not have 6pack abs irl? They’re awesome.

Also I couldn’t make a skinny human with abs since he’s autopuny on skinniest form.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Melroc.8290

When was the last time you saw your character use the bathroom? Its called a suspension of disbelief and I’d like at least something I can connect to.

(edited by Moderator)

Melroc.8290

Fantasy MMORPG.

Fantasy

Not real. Projecting yourself on to your character only enables you to disconnect from reality further. Playing a video game is supposed to be fun and social. Not a substitute for reality. Although yes I would support more realistic body choices, I’m also not against the ones provided. The less I feel like I’m my character, the less I’ll want to live in Tyria and get some actual sun.

No one said it was a substitute for reality. I love my life, outside of my doctor being slightly old fashioned in his body image style, and live it to the fullest. All online characters are in some way a reflection of the user, I just want mine to be more relatable. Not everyone allows MMOs to consume their life so I dont need to worry about it being too similar.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

All I can think about is the stream of complaint posts over weapon and armor clipping.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Because they want characters to look good same reason why you cant make them old.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Because they want characters to look good same reason why you cant make them old.

You can make a chubby old-man Asura though. :P

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Shunt.6254

Shunt.6254

wat, my char pretty much looks like me IRL

Maguuma
– Arc [VR]
– GvG us!

Melroc.8290

Guys please try to act like grown ups

Melroc.8290

Please stay on topic. This is the last time I will say this so we can stay focused but this is NOT a troll thread.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

Hello all,

Our goal is to make sure the forums are a safe, constructive, and welcoming place for all of our community members. We welcome discussions regarding player concerns, and we ask you to keep personal attacks, name-calling, and off-topic posts out of this thread.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

You can make fat humans, so there, if you want to feel a connection, pick a human.

I mean the Sylvaries are friggen plants, trees, actually, what tree stores fat? >_>

Just teach your kids the difference between reality and the game. Problem solved.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

On the other side of the coin though, there’s not enough variety to the customization. Especially the female humans. Most of the options are too teen barbie-ish. It makes sense that the body shapes are fit, it doesn’t make sense that they are mostly “top-heavy” with little girl faces.

It’s faintly disturbing.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

There is skinny option and there is normal option. Real proportion are out there in the game for you to choose.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There’s actually a very logical reason why you don’t see fat Sylvari. They’re plants; plants don’t have fat cells.

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

There’s actually a very logical reason why you don’t see fat Sylvari. They’re plants; plants don’t have fat cells.

/thread

I mean seriously; you want to feel a connection to your character by making it have a similar body shape, and yet you’re playing a plant person. If you want to play you in a video game, play a human.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I can understand the request, it’s totally reasonable, but seriously OP get off your high horse. Irresponsible that a fantasy game’s characters are idealized? Check your privilege and start acting like an adult. I’ll second your vote for weight sliders or something of the sort, but don’t expect a constructive thread with the tone you’re using.

And thanks for effectively calling everyone ugly and/or fat. I’ll have you know that I’m rather thin and relatively good looking, as are many of the people I know who play.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

@OP the reason you don’t see many unfit character body sizes is quite simple. It all goes back to what sells. Attractiveness sells. You’re upset over a societal issue, not a video game issue. Change society and everything else will change along with it.

/end

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

You can make fat humans, so there, if you want to feel a connection, pick a human.

I mean the Sylvaries are friggen plants, trees, actually, what tree stores fat? >_>

For a second there I doubted myself, but seriously, could you please point towards the “fat” human in this picture. Or am I missing something?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Human_male_physique.png

None of these guys look like my most favourite beverage shaped their belly

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Let’s this thread back on track. The OP is adamant that he won’t allow his children to play a fantasy MMORPG because he can’t make his characters big like he is in real life.

OP – I’m sorry you feel that in game sylvari can’t look like you. Remember that the race is plant based, and most plants aren’t big and bulky (except for trees). But take heart in knowing that norn do have a much large build that you’d be comfortable with. If your children are big as well, they could take a larger norn frame, and shrink the height for their accounts.

It’s nice to see that big people want to be represented in this game. It shows that not every player in real life is in shape with 5% body fat. Kudos to you mate!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!