The Skinny Privilege of GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

I find it disgusting that you cant make a character that is more reflective of the vast majority of MMO players. Whats wrong with us REAL people wanting to stay somewhat connected to our character by having it reflect my REAL body. No one has the six pack green abs of the sylvari character in game. I find this irresponsible and I will NOT be allowing my children to play this game until its fixed.

erm there is heavier models but yeah no real plus sizes, but then again your character needs to fight and therefore has muscles, so it does make sense.
im happy with my mes and as i am a size 0 i have no problems with the current character models, but i do understand that anet could maybe add a plus size model.
dont get why this is bad for your children to play because they cant play plus size characters though.
are u sure they would even choose such a character model? maybe have them play norn then as they do have more meat on them. but in most of the mmos out there u wont find real plus size, but u do have the option to give them nice curves, same with gw2 so i dont see the problem. try to play around with the norn a little bit, but wouldnt recommend the sylvari though

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

(edited by selan.8354)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

You can make fat humans, so there, if you want to feel a connection, pick a human.

I mean the Sylvaries are friggen plants, trees, actually, what tree stores fat? >_>

Just teach your kids the difference between reality and the game. Problem solved.

For a second there I doubted myself, but seriously, could you please point towards the “fat” human in this picture. Or am I missing something?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Human_male_physique.png

None of these guys look like my most favourite beverage shaped their belly

Under clothes you can make the look fat, mess with the settings, pick a bigger body type, and set the slider to the shortest, and it’ll look fat in the game.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/132072/Ugly_Guy.PNG

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

Be that as it may, if you want a Sylvari character that caters to your personal wishes and doesn’t expose your children to something that you personally find offensive, I suggest that you make a Sylvari Warrior or Guardian. Then you can try to find non-cultural armor that doesn’t make them look fat. There are numerous threads in the Sylvari section regarding the issues that Sylvari characters have with many armor sets including light and medium. Even the cultural sets have issues that have never been fixed.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

Well let’s be fare here: the fact that we’re only allowed pre-made body builds sets shows that the devs have certain limitations that a character model must keep to.

I might even agree with the OP a if the game’s had body/build sliders like City of Heroes or a few other games do.

But it doesn’t.

Now admittedly, Star Wars: The Old Republic does have a “Fat” build for men and women, which is terribly offensive since only the male is fat, the woman is badonkadonk and with a side of Va-Vavoom! But none-the-less, compare and contrast the animations of TOR to the kind we end up with in GW2 and it becomes clear why a rotund man can work with TOR and it might be harder to make in GW2.

Frankly though, if we were ever given fat character models, I’d want fist fighting skills to become available as well so I can make my chubbuff Norn cage brawler! Who would proceed to spam the bodyslam attack on anyone he comes across in WvW!

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Wanna be fat? Go Norn. Or Sylvari and wear a skirt.

Posted by: Ake.3014

Ake.3014

People who say more body choices aren’t or shouldn’t be a thing because of technical limitations, alright, I can buy that. If resources are too limited to make it happen then the choice that leads to the greatest happiness is probably the best one.

People who say it shouldn’t happen because it’s fantasy make me sad though. Some people do like larger body types for various reasons and not making it an option because “it’s ugly” is silly. While some race/gender combinations have more choices than others human females in particular really disappoint me. Norn women feel more “normal” than human women but still lack some larger options relative to their brothers (I think someone pointed out before there’s a larger female Norn NPC in-game that isn’t pickable), but I don’t enjoy playing Norn because being a scaled up human is really weird to me (but I’m not opposed to other people playing what they personally enjoy), so I wish some of their body options were available to human women.

And then the people who say it’d be unrealistic to have larger body types because of physical activity kind of forgot about all the skimpy armour destroying all sense for the sake of aesthetic. This is just another form of aesthetic that makes some people happy, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I like my idealized women and overmuscular furries. That’s what fantasy is all about, OP. It’s not real, and therefore shouldn’t have be a reflection on what is.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

I feel that somewhere OP has somehow a point. Their criticism might be flawed but it is true that it is impossible to make a f-a-t female human per example. There are varying body shapes – sure – but there’s none that are actually fat. It’s all very mainstream society view of what is attractive and close to none options to derive from that stereotype (it does apply to male characters in different ways as well). You could say that they don’t want people running around with blue pigged-nose monstrosities with xX Da GanGstaa Xx for a name but this isn’t really comparable to a normal body shape. You can’t say “just play a norn if you want thick human-like character”, this does not ever fix the relative issue. Even the norn aren’t actually fat, they are thick and their thick options are limited as well.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

Yeah I agree with you OP. I am an avid RP’er and sometimes I want to walk into a tavern roleplaying a larger sized human who obnoxiously eats and drinks everything in sight. This option is not available to me and breaks any immersion that I try to create for my RP purposes since it won’t be believable if my character is average looking.

Grrrrrr so frustrating.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I find it disgusting that you cant make a character that is more reflective of the vast majority of MMO players. Whats wrong with us REAL people wanting to stay somewhat connected to our character by having it reflect my REAL body. No one has the six pack green abs of the sylvari character in game. I find this irresponsible and I will NOT be allowing my children to play this game until its fixed.

In a game with Norn, Asura, Sylvari and Charr as well as Humans- your statement makes no sense.

I play mostly Sylvari’s and I have a connection with my characters even though I am clearly not a plant in real life.
I am also a bit confused because even though I have 4 Sylvari’s none of the have six packs- I didn’t even realize there is such a body type for Sylvari

What exactly do you mean by real people? Are some people more real than others?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’d absolutely love to be able to make characters of all shapes and sizes in GW2.
The Saints Row games completely understand the value of giving their players complete creative control over their appearances, which is how I ended up with my lardy, cross-dressing Londoner:

Attachments:

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I do agree with the OP in a way.
I’m still fighting for mutch better detailed Character Customization, which includes scale-sliders. The pre-made bodies aren’t bad, there are even non-topmodell kinds which are good. Sadly, not many using it…
Back in SW:Galaxies there were 50% “ugly” looking players who fit the lore perfectly.
In my opinion, AN must learn more about this topic, and give us more options soon.

I agree with the dislike on plastic looks, and the lack of body-part scalings.
For example, the Human Male legs seems broken or handicapped for me…
but its not as annoying as the game’s skirts/coats go extremely wide & not material-like at all. I know its a simple methood to prevent running animation clipping issues, but would like to see it improoved in the future!

For first, a reworked shader would help a lot.
My Abyss died leather armors have strong white reflections, which is very unrealistic and plastic like. Same on the character’s skin, they should be more matte & detailed, as all the “original release” items. They’re mutch less detailed than the new items.
Just look how Dragon Festival’s Shield looks like. Very detailed, very nice color choose.
That one is an extremely AAA+++ grade job! A single employee should improove the old items in my opinion.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Norn’s have the best range for the ‘overweight’ category, but also accept that norn’s are just made to be ‘big’. That means bulky, heavy torso’s and large limbs.

My main is a norn and I find it to be rather representative of myself; it’s a large character but not obese, and really just has the ability to stand out in the crowd. I had a connection to my character in GW1 as well, as it was the largest human size and wore the glasses headgear that you could have crafted in the asura area.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

that is something that’s bothering me since quite a time. all i wanted was a thoroughly obese female norn guardian. a bunker needs weight. or a really fat cat. one that cannot run on four feet anymore because its belly is touching the floor. or a poundy human slab of meat that can use her mamas as a blunt weapon in one of those stripper outfits anet claims to be armors. that’d look like real life.
not because of a special reason or some weird identification or whatever, just because why not?

(edited by zaced.7948)

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

It’s funny though that you can read in the same thread “it’s a game, it’s fantasy” as a reason for not having realistic representation of bodies but then you can also read “it’s not realistic to have fat people in a FANTASY world full of danger”.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Not sure if serious…

I’m all for everyone being able to create the character that they want; but I have seen the body types that the OP is after – they are not extreme examples of obesity but at the same time, players are known for making joke characters (we loads of strange Norns on my server). In terms of keeping this thread constructive, this:

Not to mention there would be usability issues with this. Norns are already problematic in most jumping puzzles because of the camera etc.

This thread should have been locked/deleted on creation. I am sure there are people who would have liked to have a reasonable discussion about more body types in the game (there would be no reason to restrict the discussion to only obese ones) but the OP didn’t set the stage for constructive discussion. OP, if this is a legitimate request you should seriously rethink your approach to how to initiate discussions like this – hyperbole isn’t going to get you anywhere.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Let me get this straight…

You cannot feel connected to your character, a sentient plant, because he is skinny…

Not because he is a walking cabbage. Because he is a skinny walking cabbage…
——————————————————————-

I am not sure what degree of real life we should attempt to instill in our characters. If my character is fair skinned should I have to worry about sunburns ? If overweight should his movement rate and general stamina be reduced ? Should the heavier character have to be concerned about an increased possibility of developing various health problems such as diabetes ?
——————————————————————————

Even so, I do hope that you can find some way to connect with your characters so that you can continue enjoying the game.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

It’s funny though that you can read in the same thread “it’s a game, it’s fantasy” as a reason for not having realistic representation of bodies but then you can also read “it’s not realistic to have fat people in a FANTASY world full of danger”.

My point was that if we wanted to play the “but surely fat people can still be in the game”. Despite being a fantasy game, Tyria still has certain guidelines it has to adhere to. It has a (mostly) well-written story with tonnes of lore behind it, which include Tyria adhering to, for the most part, the same laws of biology and physics that the real world does.

And when people are saying “it’s a fantasy game” they’re pointing out that it’s utterly ridiculous to put our real-life stigmas, labels and “privileges” in it. We have walking, talking lesbian plants and giant homosexual men who transform into bears. All of this is deemed acceptable in Tyria.

It’s a game.

noice

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I’m pretty sure there are bigger issues in the game right now than making fatter characters.
Bugs, clipping issues and gameplay issues are right now being placed on the back burner and you’re asking for this?

So what if I’m a skritt in real life – I can’t identify with any of the 5 races on hand – what do I do then?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

I would love to play a fat character. Made a human the other day and was disappointed I couldn’t make her fat. Sure, you can make her have a big booty (and curiously only small breasts to go with said booty) but that isn’t really the same. So yeah, I do understand the OP.

I’m not entirely surprised the backlash on this topic is so heavy. A large percentage of gamers tend to act entitled of any privilege they have, be it skinny privilege, white privilege, cis privilege, etc… Most of these so-called counter-arguments can be refuted in 100 words or less, but it’s not my job to educate others, so… please educate yourselves?

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Tbh, I don’t care about people being fat or not.
I wouldn’t mind there being some bulky characters.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

I’m all for more options, always. That’s really all I have to say on that.

I’d absolutely love to be able to make characters of all shapes and sizes in GW2.
The Saints Row games completely understand the value of giving their players complete creative control over their appearances, which is how I ended up with my lardy, cross-dressing Londoner:
Image that won’t quote

That doesn’t look fat. That looks like Strongman strong.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Perhaps play Aion? Some of those created specimens are unbelievable, able to create anything you desire. Haha.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I’m a guy. My main character is a female. Yet, I feel connected to her, because of the decisions she made, the background-story she has, and so on. How was that again… what’s most important is what’s inside? Why not let your characters reflect your inside then, instead of your outside? Or are there more positive feelings… then go ahead and make a character that looks appealing to you and give it your own personal character (or parts of it).

I also have other characters, females and males from different races. They all have their own history. And yes, I feel connected to all of them, when I play them; even though they are all different.

On top of that, it actually indeed makes perfect sense that the inhabitants of Tyria are mostly well-shaped. Especially the player characters.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

You can’t make a character you can connect to? Try making a big black guy (human) and then do the story and listen to him talk. Then tell me more about how you can’t make a character you can relate to :-P

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Just want to throw in that “realistic” doesn’t have to mean fat or unfit.

I personally find several of the human female body options pretty unrealistic.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

It’s absolutely fine to ask for larger characters or more different body types for characters for the sake of diversity or whatever.

However, I find it sad that the OP finds it hard to relate to a character who isn’t larger in size. I mean, I have lots of friends who I feel very connected to, but we don’t all look the same, we aren’t all the same bodyweight and we don’t all have six packs. I connect because of other things. That the OP can’t connect to a fictional character because of size alone says more about the problem than the fact the options aren’t there in game, to me.

Also, in terms of it being a game and playing a hero … well, does it upset people that heroes in all media, books, games, films etc are all pretty or handsome? Would you only read a book where the protagonist wasn’t pretty? Just to feel more normal? Just for a connection? I wouldn’t. Sure, it’s nice when the heroine isn’t a classic Barbie doll, but if she is, does it really matter?

If we’re going to ask for more body types, let’s ask for them because we want more variety and to build more interesting characters. Not because we’re so bound by real-life imposed worries over body image that we can’t connect to anything if it isn’t a “real” size.

Posted by: WolftheAngel.4089

WolftheAngel.4089

I understand what you are trying to say, but there are already many different body types to choose from in the character creation panel. I think if characters were to be too big some of the armor would look really odd on them.

On a side note, this is a fantasy based game. I’m not an actual Charr, but I do play a Charr character. =P

Posted by: Leviathan.9850

Leviathan.9850

Is this really a topic? Holy skritt it is… is there really no medium left where a person can find enjoyment without worrying about these kinds of people with a sense of entitlement trying to shame them and guilt trip them for not catering to every single person on the planet? So suddenly we’re all horrible people for playing this game just because it doesn’t have a character that looks like you?

I’m thinking that sense of entitlement you’re seeing is your own. I’m also pretty sure no one was calling anyone a horrible person for playing this game. I might have missed some posts, but overall that isn’t really the point people (such as me) are trying to make in favor of more inclusiveness.

Hannelora – Engineer; Fan Lei Fa – Ranger
[Xian] Terracotta Army – Desolation server

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

As this thread has gone off-topic and the previous request to be respectful has been ignored, we are shutting down this thread. Please remember it is acceptable for people to criticize and share their concerns and it is appropriate to be respectful when you disagree or wish to debate.