The content drought continues

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Once again, this game was specifically built with two week releases in mind. Those of us who have played since release are out of content. Period. And have been beating on the same content for some time.

And again, I can’t just leave. I run a guild.

Was it? The two week releases started half a year after release after all. If it was specifically built with it in mind, why did they wait half a year before starting with it?

I have played since head-start (over 1000 days now) and I still have stuff to do. Sure, it is mainly the same stuff (I mainly play WvW) but anyone with any sort of acceptance of reality KNOWS that it is completely impossible for a company to create content faster than people complete it.

I have been “out of content” since basically a day after the last content patch. It is not something that magically happened recently. That will happen in every single game.

Why can’t you leave because you run a guild? Don’t you keep pointing out how no one in the guild is logging in due to nothing to do? So why would it matter if you left or not? Apparently the people in the guild doesn’t play anyway.

People are logging on. But there are consistent complaints of how boring the game has become.
1,000 hours over 3 years is extremely casual play.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Complaining on the forum is probably the most useless of your three options.

I recommend a) Not logging in and b) not buying gems. Daily logins and gem sales are the only things that will steer this particular boat.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Once again, this game was specifically built with two week releases in mind. Those of us who have played since release are out of content. Period. And have been beating on the same content for some time.

Was it? The two week releases started half a year after release after all. If it was specifically built with it in mind, why did they wait half a year before starting with it?

I have played since head-start (over 1000 days now) and I still have stuff to do. Sure, it is mainly the same stuff (I mainly play WvW) but anyone with any sort of acceptance of reality KNOWS that it is completely impossible for a company to create content faster than people complete it.

I have been “out of content” since basically a day after the last content patch. It is not something that magically happened recently. That will happen in every single game.

Why can’t you leave because you run a guild? Don’t you keep pointing out how no one in the guild is logging in due to nothing to do? So why would it matter if you left or not? Apparently the people in the guild doesn’t play anyway.

People are logging on. But there are consistent complaints of how boring the game has become.

He said 1000 days. nowhere did he say the number of hours hes played

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Stark.1350

Yes, I read that wrong. I’m curious what you still need to get done if you’ve been playing that long and how often you play.

Dante.1763

Yes, I read that wrong. I’m curious what you still need to get done if you’ve been playing that long and how often you play.

Well, ive been playing since then, 1008 days now, with almost 4000 hours on my account. I still need to do most of the dungeons(story mode and all paths) I need to get all the skins unlocked for those as well. (Have AC done, almost done with COF, and then CM is next) Still need to do map exploration on all my characters that dont have it(11 of 12). Need to do the Human, Norn and asura story lines still. Have a few LS achievements left to do(Screw you centuar, let me dodge your attacks ) need to get the Luminescent set completed. Craft an ascended light and heavy armor set for my two other characters i Main….finish off “The Dreamer” and “The Flameseeker Prophecys” and make my second “The Minstrel”

I do have all the JPs done but the WVW ones, gotten 100% map exploration, finished off all the other explorable achievements, i need to do the ones for reading all of history of ebonhawk still and a few odd ones that i have yet to look up how to do…But yea i still have alot of stuff left to do, that would take up so much space to type id hit the text limit!.

Edit: Averaging 3.5 hours per day of playing ^^

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

New Fractals – Not rehashed living story crap – Ideas

All the Missions from GW1
Elite Areas from GW1 – The Deep/Urgoz/FoW/UW/DoA
Dungeons from GW1 – Shards of Orr/Cathedral of Flame/Oolas Lab

Re-work the entire Fractal structure/rewards. More gold/Pristine Relics/Relics

Introduce a Fractal NPC Vendor with Fractal Weapon skins (10 pristines each) – needs work idk im spitballing.

Imo this was what fractals was designed for in the first place

FoW/DoA/UW type instances -Elite Areas
Requiring 8 man teams to spend 40+mins in to actually clear
(High risk/Reward System) being able to fail instance (not just keep trying till I win/give up)

Change dungeons to require all paths to be completed. Or remove the path system completely and make a Normal Mode/Hard Mode explorable of each dungeon incorporating the elements from each path.

(This would mean Normal Mode and Hard mode are different paths)

Up the rewards to 120 tokens NM 200 tokens HM (once per day NM or HM not both)

New maps – Already here

Open world

More bosses like Tequatl/Vinewrath/Trip Trouble – However even those do tend to be do mechanic then spam 1.

Buff up older maps – Queensdale, make rifts that appear at certain times and change the shadow Behemoth into the Shadow Aataxe (idk random thought) and make it actually a challenging engaging fight.

WvW – Not HoT specific but included

Remove the WvW concept that is “World Vs World” instead make EBG a multi server bloodbath (similar to EoTM but the same map as EBG)
Borderlands still work in the same way but point gain gives buffs (to ally servers) and reduction in siege stuff.

Obviously increase the EBG cap limit. But the home borderlands would be split into 6 servers in each kinda thing.

Home borderlands would need some sort of incentive to defend/attack too so some specific rewards for home BL fighting/enemy BL fighting (different to the multi server EBG)

Winning the round (weekly) granted the winning participating servers(and participating players) with unique rewards EXCLUSIVE TO THE WVW FIGHTING
Similar to how tournaments worked etc)

20vs 20 PvP guild Raids (Guild Battles)

Open world (like WvW maps but much much smaller with no buildings) for open world 20v20 death match fights. Maybe a bit smaller(15 or 10) would be some terrain (hills/corners/bridges)
Winning teams gain 3k PvP rank points/Guild Comms
Losing teams gain 1k Pvp Rank/less/no comms

New PvP Maps for COnquest

New PvP maps for Teamdeath match (ie courtyard)

Underwater combat map returns!!!!!!! (qq)

Yeaaaaaah you know what the funny thing is? You’d still have a “meh” reaction to all that too.

So, you ask me what I am willing to pay for/what I think is worth paying for.

So I provided you with what I felt was worth paying for, and you can’t disagree with any of it, realise you’re wrong and give a kitten reply. gj.

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Complaining on the forum is probably the most useless of your three options.

I recommend a) Not logging in and b) not buying gems. Daily logins and gem sales are the only things that will steer this particular boat.

Well I log in for my dailies only (for now) and I have not bought gems in over a year and a half. It seems to me at this point the only thing left is to hope they still read their own forums, if not we are all kittened till they decide to give us anything to do.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

Gerrand said:
“The only thing that seems to have been clearly communicated is that Anet is not interested in creating dungeons and as a general practice they don’t like making armors because you have to make 1 for each armor type.”

This disturbs me and leads me to believe what I was thinking is coming true. and that is they have assigned a skeleton crew to manage the slow death of the game. Game makers that typically reach the point where they can no longer deliver what was promised , or begin scaling back on cosmetic items due to lack of resources/time usually means they have downsized the development staff by a significant amount.

Now I hope this is not the case, and there is an argument to be made that it is not in a decline, but I see these signs, and it reminds me of other MMO’s that started out this way and slowly whittled away till finally they shut down the servers altogether….

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

So, you ask me what I am willing to pay for/what I think is worth paying for.

So I provided you with what I felt was worth paying for, and you can’t disagree with any of it, realise you’re wrong and give a kitten reply. gj.

No what I’m implying is you’re part of the set of people that is never satisfied with and appreciate what they get.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Gem cash store aside, GW2’s business managers have no compelling reason to keep players around beyond the initial sale. Hence, the de-emphasis of end-game content.

The Gem cash store is a very important reason to keep players around.

“playtime equals money to us”,
“The more we can get people to log in, day after day, and play, … about some time, the more money we can make.” – ArenaNet’s head of marketing, Steve Fowler in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLslqhBn3PU

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

I’m sorry what?

Appreciate what you get? HoT is a paid for expansion, if it’s not going to release content that caters to me, why should I buy it/appreciate it?

I should appreciate the game modes that I enjoy are being grossly ignored and overlooked while esports/open world pve’ers that log in for 30 minutes/day(or week) are being catered too?

Given my history with the game (something you know nothing about by the way, so drawing your own uninformed conclusions about me is a bit naive) I have been content with new Fractals. I didn’t really like the fact that they were just rehashed living story nonsense, but at least it was something different.

I have since done those Fractals countless times, with well over 300 pristine relics.
When the new TA path came, I was doing that a lot and gained all the achievements associated with it. I’m not even a massive fan of TA :s

So I offered the kind of content I think would be good to include in an expansion; what I would pay for in an expansion. This is the sort of content I’m looking for in a game that already offers this content so why is it so crazy to want/expect more of it

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Stark.1350

Well, ive been playing since then, 1008 days now, with almost 4000 hours on my account. I still need to do most of the dungeons(story mode and all paths) I need to get all the skins unlocked for those as well. (Have AC done, almost done with COF, and then CM is next) Still need to do map exploration on all my characters that dont have it(11 of 12). Need to do the Human, Norn and asura story lines still. Have a few LS achievements left to do(Screw you centuar, let me dodge your attacks ) need to get the Luminescent set completed. Craft an ascended light and heavy armor set for my two other characters i Main….finish off “The Dreamer” and “The Flameseeker Prophecys” and make my second “The Minstrel”

I do have all the JPs done but the WVW ones, gotten 100% map exploration, finished off all the other explorable achievements, i need to do the ones for reading all of history of ebonhawk still and a few odd ones that i have yet to look up how to do…But yea i still have alot of stuff left to do, that would take up so much space to type id hit the text limit!.

Edit: Averaging 3.5 hours per day of playing ^^

I have all the dungeon paths done, all LS achievements but a couple, all JPs and zero interest to do repetitive map completion or complete another set of ascended or legendary.

Next?

Dante.1763

I have all the dungeon paths done, all LS achievements but a couple, all JPs and zero interest to do repetitive map completion or complete another set of ascended or legendary.

Next?

Oh i was just stating what i still had to do ^-^ Not what you had to do. But why that i still had plenty of stuff to do in this game, i know not everyone has interest in the same thing, so for some people this is a content drought(probably for alot of people) But for people like who still have so much they want to do, its a nice break to allow them to catch up, nothing more! Though i do want the expansion to come, sooooo bad.

Stark.1350

Next?

Oh i was just stating what i still had to do ^-^ Not what you had to do. But why that i still had plenty of stuff to do in this game, i know not everyone has interest in the same thing, so for some people this is a content drought(probably for alot of people) But for people like who still have so much they want to do, its a nice break to allow them to catch up, nothing more! Though i do want the expansion to come, sooooo bad.

Yeah I got it, I was just comparing. Just don’t have much to catch up on. Just frustrating.

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Blah Blah Blah

Next?

We get it, you’ve said your piece and then followed up with one short snarky post after another. You instigated the last few posts which showed that you haven’t done everything and what you really mean is that you want Anet to cut out everything you don’t like nor have any interest in and only have the content you want to do and forget everyone else.

There’s not a content drought, there’s too much for most people to catch up on, if there’s a problem it’s that what we currently have doesn’t have the daily draw that content in some older games might have had us rushing home after work to play. WvW isn’t the open pvp world people like myself expected to live in and sPvP hasn’t held on to enough competitive teams to make that a thing and much of pve doesn’t allow for much ‘hanging out’ with people, it’s all a very rapid check list. I enjoy the game and have my goals at the moment and I have my own gripes but I’m not going to make broad statements and assume I speak for everyone else.

Kash
NSP

Stark.1350

Blah Blah Blah

Next?

We get it, you’ve said your piece and then followed up with one short snarky post after another. You instigated the last few posts which showed that you haven’t done everything and what you really mean is that you want Anet to cut out everything you don’t like nor have any interest in and only have the content you want to do and forget everyone else.

There’s not a content drought, there’s too much for most people to catch up on, if there’s a problem it’s that what we currently have doesn’t have the daily draw that content in some older games might have had us rushing home after work to play. WvW isn’t the open pvp world people like myself expected to live in and sPvP hasn’t held on to enough competitive teams to make that a thing and much of pve doesn’t allow for much ‘hanging out’ with people, it’s all a very rapid check list. I enjoy the game and have my goals at the moment and I have my own gripes but I’m not going to make broad statements and assume I speak for everyone else.

Assuming I speak for everyone else? I myself said I was bored. I said people in my guild were bored. And currently there’s a massive post on reddit about it. That’s all.

Missing out on a couple of achievements is most everything. Doing repetitive things like making multiple legendaries or map completion is not content.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Gerrand said:
“The only thing that seems to have been clearly communicated is that Anet is not interested in creating dungeons and as a general practice they don’t like making armors because you have to make 1 for each armor type.”

This disturbs me and leads me to believe what I was thinking is coming true. and that is they have assigned a skeleton crew to manage the slow death of the game. Game makers that typically reach the point where they can no longer deliver what was promised , or begin scaling back on cosmetic items due to lack of resources/time usually means they have downsized the development staff by a significant amount.

Now I hope this is not the case, and there is an argument to be made that it is not in a decline, but I see these signs, and it reminds me of other MMO’s that started out this way and slowly whittled away till finally they shut down the servers altogether….

The video (which is very recent) that is linked in Zok’s post includes a statement regarding the amount of ArenaNet employees at this time: 350. I’m not sure that indicates any down-sizing.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I could back up my old games onto older HDD’s, but once I grow bored of a game I generally don’t want to take the time to find all the needed files for a backup.

“all the needed files”? Simply copy the main folder to a different drive. Don’t even bother uninstalling it.

For games that don’t support moving their location, simply create a directory link (cmd: mklink /D) from the old to the new location. This will make it look like it’s on the original drive, but actually be on the other.

For GW2 specifically, simply move the folder, or just Gw2.dat.

The current lack of content is what people were asking for last year when they were complaining about wanting an expansion. ArenaNet is simply delivering.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The content drought-moaning continues…

i think Anet needs to contrac a wizard that makes code apears from nowhere and can realease a full expac every 2-3 weeks.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I’m outside reading this thread as I type.

Sorry, I just always wanted to say, “I am outside”, to one of those “go outside” post.

:D

Attachments:

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I could back up my old games onto older HDD’s, but once I grow bored of a game I generally don’t want to take the time to find all the needed files for a backup.

“all the needed files”? Simply copy the main folder to a different drive. Don’t even bother uninstalling it.

For games that don’t support moving their location, simply create a directory link (cmd: mklink /D) from the old to the new location. This will make it look like it’s on the original drive, but actually be on the other.

For GW2 specifically, simply move the folder, or just Gw2.dat.

The current lack of content is what people were asking for last year when they were complaining about wanting an expansion. ArenaNet is simply delivering.

Thanks for the backup info, really, but I will most likely not bother if and when I pack it up. At least I know it won’t leave a ton of garbage behind like some games.

As for players complaining about wanting new content, I didn’t complain at all as I was busy playing and as far as I am concerned season 1, even with it’s zergfesting, was the best time I have had in any MMO ever and all I had to do was wait another 2 weeks for more. Season 2 was more a chore with having to repeat chapters in order to get the AP’s (very boring) but at least it was delivered in a timely manner with a better story.

Now I am stuck waiting while they trickle out information at a snails pace, so I am instead looking elsewhere.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I don’t mind the downtime myself. It is giving me a chance to level alts and get them through their story modes. Heck, I haven’t even set foot in the silverwastes yet.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Stark.1350

Have you played since release?

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

Just play a little less, your key members will be there for HoT even if you (or they) are barely active now. Go play another MMO like SW or FF until the major changes arrive and the expansion, or go and find another hobby. I wouldn’t just stick around if no-one in guild (yourself included) wants to be online very much, with the lack of content.

If only they didn’t have issues with SAB, or adding other old content, to pass the time.

Attachments:

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

or you could just pvp………………………….

also wtb sab

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

If they would at least bring back stuff like SAB, crown pavillon or wvw tournaments to fill the gap, but this is just horrible update management.

It really is, and it’s as simple as that. The fact they apparently didn’t have some kind of contingency plan during this drought is a huge oversight and depressing to be honest. Expecting your playerbase to be content with nothing to keep them busy during the HoT development is either incompetence or arrogance. It needs to be said.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

to the people saying “You dont know they cant just turn it on” Actually..for at least one thing, the SAB we do. Theres a post in the SAB merged thread that pretty much says “We broke SAB and have to do a lot to get it working properly”

I’m really wondering how kittened up it can be.

Also in general why does stuff in a complete other map get’s broken? What did they even do to break it? Shouldn’t they have some sort of ‘order’ to prevent this?

I guess we will never know.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m really wondering how kittened up it can be.

Also in general why does stuff in a complete other map get’s broken? What did they even do to break it? Shouldn’t they have some sort of ‘order’ to prevent this?

I guess we will never know.

Because that is the nature of development.

Everything is connected. Otherwise there would never be any bugs in any software ever. And everyone knows that there is bugs in every advanced software.

They have made plenty of changes to the engine for one, which would make something like SAB, that relies heavily on the engine (the one back when it was released that is), very unlikely to work now.

It is always easy to claim that it shouldn’t happen and they should have a plan for it. But in reality that simply doesn’t work. There will always be bugs turning up in the most unexpected places, often without the reason being apparent until you find a fix for it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Just join the wvw crew and you will sure get used about no new content!

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I don’t really mind waiting (within reason) for new content in games.

I get that new stuff takes time to produce.

I’m more concerned about overall fairness and balance and whether the existing stuff works properly and is enjoyable.

Seems to me, when you sell someone a game, you have promised to ensure that all the existing stuff works properly and is enjoyable, for that initial price.

So, it’s not like it should be viewed as extra work, that should be paid extra for, if it doesn’t.

That is kind of my issue with the game – that I don’t feel they have a firm enough grasp of what is going on (and going wrong) in their game.

That they just made it and, basically, washed their hands of much further responsibility.

Whereas, new stuff is new stuff – as long as they don’t charge extra for it, in advance (and you’re not paying a sub), they have every right to take as long as they like.

Although, if they do, they do so at their own risk (of gradually losing players).

Much as you can’t (and shouldn’t try to) force them to produce extra stuff quickly, they obviously can’t force you to hang around waiting forever, either.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

IMO, even if someone only plays 1000 hours in three years (1 hr/day) that’s not casual play. If I watch 7 hours of sports a week, I am not a casual sports fan. If I play the guitar for 7 hours a week, I am not a casual guitar player. If I play chess for 1/hr per day, it’s not considered casual play. Only MMOs.

For me, the biggest problem is that most of the recent content updates only have staying power as loot trains and glorified Skinner boxes.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

They really need to get themselves an events schedule going, and basically auto run an event every month or two like wow does. You don’t have to remake the event every year, just add a couple new things and you’re good to go.

I thought in the first year they were building for a regular schedule with monthly events but then they went down the living story path, and only certain main events are still there like halloween, christmas, queens pavilion.

I understand they’re all in with the expansion at the moment, but they could have set up quite a lot during this time.

Release every two weeks, start at the point of season 2 living story.

July – Living story | Living story
Aug – Living story | Queen’s pavilion
Sept – Wvw fall tournament 4 weeks (or run it in nov) | Living story optional
Oct – Living story | Halloween
Nov – Living story | Living story
Dec – Living story | Christmas
Jan – Winter break | Living story
Feb – Valentines | Living story optional
Mar – Super adventure box 1 & 2
Apr – WvW spring tournament 4 weeks
May – Dragon bash | Festival of the four winds
Jun – Intermission, festival will still be running.

Add a couple new items to get for the events and you’re done. You think Wow redo their events entirely every year? lol. I’m sure a lot of people will want to finish achievements too, they did get a lot of new accounts from the $10 sales I would assume.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Stark.1350

Just once again boils down to putting out content and features over a huge time frame every two weeks and then turn the faucet off, to terrible drip fed information about the beta.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Just once again boils down to putting out content and features over a huge time frame every two weeks and then turn the faucet off, to terrible drip fed information about the beta.

Because people DEMANDED that they changed it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

just give up OP, it’s not like HoT has some content anyway.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

And now we can start demanding that they do both expansions and 2 week releases!
Yeah we players are pretty unreasonable at times.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

And now we can start demanding that they do both expansions and 2 week releases!
Yeah we players are pretty unreasonable at times.

I don’t see how doing the same thing every other MMO on the market does is unreasonable? Sure most MMO’s do large releases every 3-4 months instead of tiny ones every 2 weeks, but it works out to roughly the same content.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to offer. Especially early in the games lifetime when almost no content has been added since launch. They should be working on rapidly expanding the content base to give themselves some breathing room. What they did was remove 90% of the content they added and left us with basically the same game since launch for 3 years.