The flaw of Ascended Weapon Boxes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

So basically getting ascended cleric’s is still worse than exotic berserker’s.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

And its a terrible point. You guys are so passive about this. Oh look they gave us SOME choice thats better than none. Thats not the point. Because these weapons are account bound theres no reason to not allow people to choose both weapons and stats. Personally i dont use weapons that have different stats than my build and the only people who i know who have gotten these boxes and are happy are either people who got zerk or people who dont understand stats. Its too bad people like you allow Anet to come out with stupid things like this.

I understand stats. My point still stands that the difference is hardly noticeable, especially for the average player. I’ll keep my min/maxing to dnd were a 1 difference means a lot more. The increased weapon range makes up for most of the “bad stat” combo. You are only losing what…. 5sec of extra attacks against something that 100 hits to kill. Does that really mean that much to the average person?

Because these weapons are account bound theres no reason to not allow people to choose both weapons and stats.

While that is true, the exact opposite is also true. There’s no reason that they wouldn’t be exactly like the rings from fractals, where you get no choice whatsoever on your drop. Would you rather rely to roll “good” on two separate tables? One for your gs and another for zerker stats.

My point is that people are complaining despite Anet making a step in the right direction for loot acquisition. Saying that you wish it was that you could change that stats is one thing, but it’s another to say that getting an ascended weapon with the “wrong” stats is worth less than a masterwork with the “right” stats is just silly and not constructive at all.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

The whole point of this thread was to say that sure ascended weapons give you a choice of weapon but they dont give you stats so its useless. Fine Anet is making a step in the right direction. What do you want me to do capitulate to them. Say “oh anet you glorious glorious people let me kiss your kittens”. they made a step but it was a useless step. As you just showed exotic zerker is better than ascended clerics. So sure its a small difference but its still worse. who in their right mind would take the ascended clerics and then add their sigil to it (usually 2g+ sigil) just for kitten sake. I mean the ascended weapons look bad in the first place so there would be no point in using that over an exotic. And it would be bad if you linked it in chat.

ascended cleric’s = lose lose and a waste of a drop

and a question to you if you got an ascended drop and it wasnt with stats you use would you really be happy especially if it did less damage than what you’re using at the moment (i mean happy in terms of what you would want in a perfect gw2 not based off past experiences with loot). Before you defend anet think about it. And plz dont say that oh ascended rings dont let you choose so why should ascended weapons. Just because something like rings was already kittened up doesnt mean they need to use the same illogical drop system.

(edited by champ.7021)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Virtually every piece of gear I’ve equipped in GW2 has come from a dungeon/karma vendor, crafting or the TP. I’ve never seen another game where I equip so few of the items that I get as drops. If we had to depend solely on drops, I’m not sure if anyone would have a full set of rare gear of their choice, never mind exotics.

So, while choice of weapon may be “a step in a better direction,” it eliminates only one of the RNG roadblocks, leaving us with the rest, and still leaving many players with an undesirable item. If the item (or the weapon chest unopened) could be sold, that would be another matter. So sorry, cannot do that.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This new system gives you the same chance to give you the stats+weapon combo you want as the system for getting Ascended rings from fractals.

• Ascended rings from fractals: You get a ring, which you definitely can use, with a random stat.
  • Ascended weapons: You get a weapon that you definitely can use (as you choose it), with a random stat.

Consider all those people who complained about their banks being filled with useless Ascended fractal rings. This is the same thing in terms of probability of getting what you want.

So Anet learned nothing from the Ascended rings complaints (or chose to ignore).

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Virtually every piece of gear I’ve equipped in GW2 has come from a dungeon/karma vendor, crafting or the TP. I’ve never seen another game where I equip so few of the items that I get as drops.

And they keep making it worse by adding useless stats combo to the game. This worsens the RNG. Your chance of getting a decent stat combo are much lower on ascended weapons because they can also drop in Celestial form for example (stats combo not found on random rare/exotics drop). Ascended weapons can drop in so many type of stats combo that the chance of you getting anything decent is incredibly low, even lower than it was on exotic drops.

GW2 has the worst drops and use for drops ever. Most mmo I’ve seen will make you smile from time to time from the nice drop you get to use or sell. You almost never get anything worth selling (the only thing that can drop that is worth selling are precursors, and a couple champion weapons), and almost never anything worth using. Everything is just salvage material for globs and now dark matter. Except that if ascended weapon are anything like the rest of the ascended gear, you can’t salvage them. Which makes them BEYOND USELESS. You can’t sell, you can’t salvage, you can’t do anything with that crap. It’s just there to poke fun at you.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Actually (again, if I’m doing the math right), the difference between them lessens.

Include perm fury, 25 stacks of might, 25 stacks from superior sigil of perception, superior sigil of force, bowl of sweet and spicy butternut squash soup (I figure +100 power, +10% crit dam is the best food for zerker), and potent masters maintenance oil, and average weapon damage (instead of just assuming max every hit).

Exotic, zerker:
Damage done = ((((3399*(1100+995)/2)1.0)/(2600))1.05) = 1437.86
Average damage = base*(1+.84*(1.21+0.5)) = 3503.24

Ascended, clerics:
Damage done = ((((3458*(1045+1155)/2)1.0)/(2600))1.05) = 1536.15
Average damage = base*(1+.73*(1.12+0.5)) = 3352.80

3352.80/3503.24*100 = 95.71% damage (that cleric does of zerker)
3352.80/(3503.24-3352.80) = 22.27
—> ~22 hits on zerker == ~23 hits on cleric

Firstl of all, no one uses oils in pve. Secondly, you forgot about banners and other modifiers. The final difference is about 3.5%. What does it tell you? That getting “superior” weapon should be welcomed because it’s pink? I don’t understand what you want to prove.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

why the hell didnt they just let us choose both the weapon and the stats !

Because that actually makes sense and requires some thinking, something ANet is incapable of doing nowadays.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

If we could choose our stats but not the weapon, every weapon drop we got could be of use to an alt. Whereas, since they force us the stat and let us choose the weapon, a good chunk of those drops will be completely useless. Ie, it lengthens the grind which seems to be the new way things are run in Grind Wars 2.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Lol, I have to disagree with you. Choosing the weapon is a good thing. A Assassin one may be useless for X class, but is useful for my Y class.

Now let’s face the other situation. You get a torch. Your main doesn’t use torch. Your second most played toon doesn’t use a torch. Maybe only your 4th toon, a level 20 guardian is able to use a torch. But you don’t think torches are good for what you are planning when he gets lvl 80.

Cleric stats is useless for your toons, but at least you won’t end up with a weapon that you won’t use at all if you could choose the stats.
Anyway, just throw it away. No stress, the system is working well. Imagine if you could not choose either the weapon or the stats

Okay, let’s look at this issue from a decently put perspective, instead of making flawed arguments to prove your point.

Of all the drops I can get right now, Ascended wise, only 2 of them are appealing to me (Berserker and Assassin’s) and 3 of them are ‘meh’ (Valkyrie, Knight’s and Cavalier). And then you have Soldier’s which is only useful if you do WvW, or in TA. So the chance of me being actually happy with a drop the way it is now is 2/17 = ~11%, the chance I’m disappointed but I’d at least use the weapon is 3/17 = ~17%, with a total chance of about 28% of me not completely getting screwed over with the current system. Meaning there is a 72% chance with the current system that I’m not even going to bother opening the coffer I get.

Let’s say the other system is in place, where you get a random weapon, where you can choose the stats. There are 19 weapons in the game. Out of all the weapons, there is only 1 weapon that I can’t find a use for, which it Torch. But I could keep it in case they ever give Torches to ele’s, which would make sense. But, that’s a 1/19 chance that I can’t use the weapon I get, at all, so ~5% chance. Then there are 3 weapons that I would put on a character, but rarely use, which is Rifle, Longbow and Shortbow. But at least they’d get used. So there’s a 3/19 = ~16% chance that I’d be disappointed, but at least not completely screwed over. Then there’s the Aquatic weapons, which all have a use, but no one really bothers with them, so there’s another ~16% chance that I’d be somewhat disappointed with the drop. Every other weapon is at least useful on one of my characters, and I only have 4 of them. With 2 that I want to get to 80, but haven’t bothered yet. That means that with only 4 alts, I would have a 95% chance that I could at least use the weapon, a 79% chance that I’d at least use it often, and a 63% chance that I’d be really happy with my drop.

So, 63% chance that I’d be really happy with my drop using the weapon system, and a 11% chance that I’d be really happy with my drop using the current system. And people wonder why I’m trying to advocate the other one…

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Math is hard, pink gear is fun.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

This just comes down to Stat Snobbery…

Ppl mad b/c they don’t get Berzerkers 24/7 as drops. Even though speed clearing 5 Dungeons in 1 hour which = easy Shards to just craft their own stats instead…
….I’m Playing a very very very small Violin for them right now

Get It

I’ll keep time for you…

I refuse to work that hard for something that isn’t that much of a stat increase. If I ever become a hardcore player, or really get into WvW more than I am, then I will rethink it.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

all employment issues in the medical industry has been solved in this thread

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

This new system gives you the same chance to give you the stats+weapon combo you want as the system for getting Ascended rings from fractals.

• Ascended rings from fractals: You get a ring, which you definitely can use, with a random stat.
  • Ascended weapons: You get a weapon that you definitely can use (as you choose it), with a random stat.

Consider all those people who complained about their banks being filled with useless Ascended fractal rings. This is the same thing in terms of probability of getting what you want.

So Anet learned nothing from the Ascended rings complaints (or chose to ignore).

Oh, no, no, since probably drop rate on thses boxes is much lower than rings, players wont run into such problems ;P

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

IndigoSundown.5419

Meaning there is a 72% chance with the current system that I’m not even going to bother opening the coffer I get.

Working as intended would be my guess. Why satisfy your customers if it means you then have to cater to their desire for engaging content they can play with their new weapon? It’s much better for the developer to keep recycling old content indefinitely by extending the time it takes to get the new weapon. I hate to say it, but drops were never meant as a serious alternative to crafting.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

why the hell didnt they just let us choose both the weapon and the stats !

They do its called “crafting”

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Meaning there is a 72% chance with the current system that I’m not even going to bother opening the coffer I get.

Working as intended would be my guess. Why satisfy your customers if it means you then have to cater to their desire for engaging content they can play with their new weapon? It’s much better for the developer to keep recycling old content indefinitely by extending the time it takes to get the new weapon. I hate to say it, but drops were never meant as a serious alternative to crafting.

Something that has such a tiny RNG chance should not be subjected to willfully bad design, just because it would make their content get grinded out more often.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

IndigoSundown.5419

Something that has such a tiny RNG chance should not be subjected to willfully bad design, just because it would make their content get grinded out more often.

Oh, I agree with you. Unfortunately ANet is operating on a philosophy that they aren’t sharing — except for the PR spin sugar-coating over the very bitter pill.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

because if so at your first few drops you would be done with the ascended farming and i think they want you busy with those as long as possible so you can start over with armor.

The rate at which they drop that would take months if not years. I haven’t had a single one drop since their introduction.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I love how the people that are complaining about weapon damage for certain stat combos is useless are also the ones saying the game is “faceroll easy”. Which one is it? If it’s faceroll easy, it doesn’t matter what you pick. If that isn’t the case then it does matter which stat combos are the best.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

With their drop rate does it really matter what system gets used?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

1.) Pick Weapon. 2.) One-time only pick stats 3.) HYPE!

It’s either that or make a ton of other builds viable per class. Until then I am going back to pressing “1” in a zerg.

Most stats were made for pvp. They will never be viable.

For some players they are though, and there’s zero evidence that ANet didn’t intend stats other than Berserker’s for PvE (at best is all conjecture based on current speedrun meta play, which not all players enjoy.)

That said, it does not make sense that a player may be getting a “free” weapon that doesn’t work for his/her playstyle (be it Berserker’s or Cleric’s) that can’t be salvaged or traded for. So I agree with that because at least we can sell (TP) any Exotic drops we may not have any use for.

Has ANet explained the reasoning behind this design choice? I see lots of insults hurled at them (“stupid design decision”) but I may have missed their statements regarding this issue.

Honestly, if I got a drop I have no need for, I’ll probably won’t use it and would bank it in the hopes one day it does become tradable, especially since it does seem like something that could be changed in the future without any ill effects to the economy (who knows what their reasons are.)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Has ANet explained the reasoning behind this design choice?

In Gw2, Anet only rarely explains anything (and if they do, they often use marketing speech that doesn’t hold any useful info). They definitely avoid explaining anything that is connected to ascended gear. So no, we don’t know the reason for this design.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think it’s a bad design decision over all. I think the solution is to make them no longer account bound. That would solve everything.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

No MMO developer ever has to explain the reasoning behind a choice that’s inconvenient to the player.

The answer is always obvious. MMOs have to have treadmills. If there is ever the day where the only treadmills in an MMO were diverse challenging content and story treadmills, a lot of us would be in utopia.

ANet already somewhat has this with fractals, and is trying to do it with the living story. The problem from the player perspective is there’s not enough content. The problem from the development perspective is we consume content too fast. So unless ANet increased the staff working on living story, you’re not going to get a more frequent story treadmill than the 2 week intervals.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

morrolan.9608

Has ANet explained the reasoning behind this design choice?

In Gw2, Anet only rarely explains anything (and if they do, they often use marketing speech that doesn’t hold any useful info). They definitely avoid explaining anything that is connected to ascended gear. So no, we don’t know the reason for this design.

Yet they are trying to be collaborative. Hopefully the ascended weapons is one of the fuuture topics.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

morrolan.9608

ANet already somewhat has this with fractals, and is trying to do it with the living story. The problem from the player perspective is there’s not enough content.

I would dispute that. IMHO there is enough content factoring in sPVP and WvW along with the fortnightly PvE updates to not have these treadmills.

If there was a drop off of players prior to ascended weapons I rather think the issue is the lack of quality of the living world updates rather than there not being enough content. Adding in this cynical artificial treadmill is just the easy way out.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I think it’s fine as it is. You want to chose your stats then craft it.

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

Please integrate a way to change stats… Make it expensive, but make it cheaper than crafting…

1 form 4 chests i got so far was useful, the other three are just eating up my bank space… I dont know what to do with them. It’s ver very frustating to see that you where lucky and get an ascended chest, but then you take a look at the stats and you notice, that this is just not what you need nor want… reward should be rewarding – always, this is the absolute oposite (for me in 1 of 4 cases)..

it was written…