The game is called Guild Wars 2...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Professor Sensei.2941

Professor Sensei.2941

so why is there no official GvG? I’m honestly shocked in the time that I’ve played this game the closest the community got was the Obsidian Sanctum. Don’t get me wrong the Obsidian Sanctum was amazing for players who wanted GvG and dueling with PvE gear but being limited to two opposing servers at any given time?

Guild raids, guild versus guild, and guild halls should have been a given for this game. Looking back on Guild Wars it’s hard to see how they missed this.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

inb4 lore reasons

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

They have pretty much said “It’s called Guild Wars 2 because of the lore/IP, if you want GW1 go play GW”.

I agree PvP is way worse in GW2 than in GW1 and they should look back for some inspiration.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

so why is there no official GvG? I’m honestly shocked in the time that I’ve played this game the closest the community got was the Obsidian Sanctum. Don’t get me wrong the Obsidian Sanctum was amazing for players who wanted GvG and dueling with PvE gear but being limited to two opposing servers at any given time?

Guild raids, guild versus guild, and guild halls should have been a given for this game. Looking back on Guild Wars it’s hard to see how they missed this.

There have been SO MANY THREADS ON THIS – the Name Guild Wars comes from the lore and history, not that there are Guild Wars NOW.

Please read the lore before posting….

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore

“Tyrian disasters

Throughout the centuries, the continent of Tyria found itself in constant warfare. The multiple Guild Wars raged across human lands – constantly ending and starting again, creating a series of wars between Humans. In all these years, not much aside from the constant wars and temporary times of peace existed. However, nearly two hundred years prior to the Searing, a powerful arcanist known simply as Lord Odran sought to reach into the unknown, and in doing so, by sacrificing many souls, found access to the Hall of Heroes. Though the spirits were outraged at Odran’s intrusion on the land they had paid to access with their life and blood, they could do nothing against beings of the living. For years, Odran explored the Rift and the many worlds, placing his portals in deadly locations and concealing them with spells. Until one day, the spirits of the Rift found a way to harm that which was corporeal and when Odran returned to the Rift they tore his body apart. In doing so that which they hated most came to pass as the spells of protection and concealment over Odran’s portals were removed and mortals gained free access to the Hall of Heroes."

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

[sarcasm]
Don’t you know, all the players are super friendly and would NEVER go to war.
[/sarcasm]

Professor Sensei.2941

inb4 lore reasons

holy crap dude good call LOL

But who gives a hoodle about lore. GvG and guild halls made Guild Wars amazing.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

Pandeh.5248

inb4 lore reasons

HA and TA made it even better. But here we need to have super strict E sports wannabe PvP!

Who here woudn’t play GW2 HA with their PvE characters?? It would of been so kittening good.

Wheres the fun in perfect balance. GW1 was pretty well balanced when you think of all the combinations there were. You had “gimmick” builds but none were unbeatable if you were in with a highly skilled balanced team.

(edited by Pandeh.5248)

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

There have been SO MANY THREADS ON THIS – the Name Guild Wars comes from the lore and history, not that there are Guild Wars NOW.

That’s true – but – there’s a bit more. GW had GvG, it’s easy to assume GW2 would have it too, or would have it later.

But the main thing is the name. Before you get back on that lore horse, consider that it’s a name for a franchise that was chosen by ArenaNet. Why? To inspire thoughts in the public about GvG and Guild competition. Lore on one hand, sure, but it isn’t called Guild Wars just for that.

Professor Sensei.2941

inb4 lore reasons

HA and TA made it even better. But here we need to have super strict E sports wannabe PvP!

HA was really exciting. TA is pretty much just Tpvp (I understand that that old RA/TA system was better but this is a different game).

That’s true – but – there’s a bit more. GW had GvG, it’s easy to assume GW2 would have it too, or would have it later.

But the main thing is the name. Before you get back on that lore horse, consider that it’s a name for a franchise that was chosen by ArenaNet. Why? To inspire thoughts in the public about GvG and Guild competition.

well put.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

Dusty Moon.4382

But the main thing is the name. Before you get back on that lore horse, consider that it’s a name for a franchise that was chosen by ArenaNet. Why? To inspire thoughts in the public about GvG and Guild competition. Lore on one hand, sure, but it isn’t called Guild Wars just for that.

Because the Guilds were important in the history of Tyria and it was close to 100 yrs of Guild Wars going on. It shaped how Tyria developed.

Pandeh.5248

inb4 lore reasons

HA was really exciting. TA is pretty much just Tpvp (I understand that that old RA/TA system was better but this is a different game).

But the main thing is the name. Before you get back on that lore horse, consider that it’s a name for a franchise that was chosen by ArenaNet. Why? To inspire thoughts in the public about GvG and Guild competition.

well put.

I’ve imagined ever since launch, what if this game had a GvG mode with a mini WvW map with one castle for each team, a supply boost in the middle and two side objectives on each side.(Think basic GvG map setup)

The two sides would provide some sort of minor bonus and the middle would provide a boost of supply per second/minute(w/e).

Maybe the sides would be, blueprint pickups where you have to run back to you’r base with blueprint. These two sides would be required to be captured and every X seconds/minute(w/e) you can pick it up. Then you would need to run it back to you’r castle and deposit it into you’r “Siege weaponry” merchant. Both teams generate X amount of supply per second/minute(w/e) and by holding/capturing/killing/whatever sort of objective in the middle you generate more supply.

Supply would be spent to purchase the siege weapon of choice. This would either(design/balance developers have to decide this)let you carry a blueprint or it would summon a dolyak(A tanky one) and you would carry the blueprint to the location you want to put it down.

GvG would finally be here…

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Because the Guilds were important in the history of Tyria and it was close to 100 yrs of Guild Wars going on. It shaped how Tyria developed.

I honestly wonder what came first, the idea behind the mechanics of the game, or the idea of the Lore of the name? "Come over here Mechanics!, meet Lore…..oh, I would also like to introduce you two to, um yeah, what was your name again? " " My name is Shoe horned".

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

inb4 lore reasons

Its the true response to what your asking. Name is just a lore thing as in most games.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Professor Sensei.2941

inb4 lore reasons

Its the true response to what your asking. Name is just a lore thing as in most games.

As a consumer many years go I bought Guild Wars to do pvp with my friends. I was pleased with Alliance battles at the time but I bought the game because the title told me I was going to be at war with other guilds. That excited me. Guild Wars 2 provided WvW, a amazing pvp mode at that, but it was limited due to ballance issues. Sure its fun to go around and destroy other players with a green up arrow by their name but what I enjoy most is a good struggle. The developers stressed over and over about how ballanced sPvP was going to be but it didn’t even come to proving the feel of Guild play that Guild Wars offered. Guilds in this game seem to be more of a methods of narrowing down your search for others doing similar interest to just 4 people.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

inb4 lore reasons

Told you that was the response you were going to get

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

inb4 lore reasons

Good call? All he did was give you the Arenanet official answer as to why the series is called Guild Wars that has been said in all the other 100+ threads about the same exact thing. You didn’t post a unique thread at all

eisberg.2379

inb4 lore reasons

As a consumer many years go I bought Guild Wars to do pvp with my friends. I was pleased with Alliance battles at the time but I bought the game because the title told me I was going to be at war with other guilds. That excited me. Guild Wars 2 provided WvW, a amazing pvp mode at that, but it was limited due to ballance issues. Sure its fun to go around and destroy other players with a green up arrow by their name but what I enjoy most is a good struggle. The developers stressed over and over about how ballanced sPvP was going to be but it didn’t even come to proving the feel of Guild play that Guild Wars offered. Guilds in this game seem to be more of a methods of narrowing down your search for others doing similar interest to just 4 people.

I bought Guild Wars 1 because of the PvE, hated the PvP. I wanted to play through the PvE storyline and found the lore to be great and loved the aspect the lore played in the game.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It’s quite normal that people expect GvG in GW2 considering there was GvG in GW1.

“Lore reason” doesn’t cut it. It’s not a argument at all, it’s an excuse.

eisberg.2379

It’s quite normal that people expect GvG in GW2 considering there was GvG in GW1.

There are a lot of things that Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have that Guild Wars 1 does. Guild Wars 2 and 1 are completely different games, the only thing they share really is being RPGs and the lore. But Guild Wars 2 is an MMO, and Guild Wars 1 is not. Anybody who bought this game thinking there was going to be GvG did zero research into the game.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

It is not a argument against GvG. I am sure that a lot of players that state the name of the game is Guild Wars for lore reasons would love to see GvG like Guild Wars 1 in the game. It is just that people come in and say “Why no Guild Wars in a game called Guild Wars” they will get a response “The name Guild Wars comes from lore not from a gamemode”.

Now if they came in and asked “Why is there no Guild Wars in the game?” They will get the response they are really looking for. The answer to that question is ArenaNet does not want to segment the playerbase from WvW and sPvP. WvW population is fine. sPvP however is not. Perhaps if sPvP population picked up and became stable and ArenaNet is convinced that GvG would not segment the playerbase more they will put GvG into the game. Until then I do not see it happening. In the mean time have fun with a Custom Arena 10 v 10 Battle of Kyhlo.

As a side note if they developed Guild Wars 2 GvG like they did GW1 GvG I don’t think that a lot of the playerbase would be happy with the way it is implemented as it would be implemented with sPvP rules. If a player really wants that they can have it already via Custom Arena. If I am not mistaken Custom Arena’s allow 10v10 and add the Battle of Kyhlo you get something of resemblance to the GvG that is in Guild Wars 1 (that is only two teams of 8 ).

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There are a lot of things that Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have that Guild Wars 1 does. Guild Wars 2 and 1 are completely different games, the only thing they share really is being RPGs and the lore. But Guild Wars 2 is an MMO, and Guild Wars 1 is not. Anybody who bought this game thinking there was going to be GvG did zero research into the game.

Anet said that there would be GvG in GW2.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I think GVG will come later this year , they’ve already confirmed ladders seasons coming in game later so gvg a cert , hold on folks

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

If HA was recreated in GW2, I would stop playing WvW.

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Im sick of hearing this lore reason, yes it is behind lore, however the title is the first thing a consumer see’s it is a given that the title is a marketing double entendre and is meant to ensue the Guild element, to deny this is ludicrous

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: Domination.4856

Domination.4856

Im sick of hearing this lore reason, yes it is behind lore, however the title is the first thing a consumer see’s it is a given that the title is a marketing double entendre and is meant to ensue the Guild element, to deny this is ludicrous

Do you buy every game you see instantly or do you do your research first? I do research on anything I’m going to buy and if you do research on this game before buying it then you will know that the name is tied to the story. It’s like playing AC4 and then saying why the hell am I playing a pirate.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

lore + http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand

now stop those weekly threads please. You demand the right thing but from completely false premises, it is tiresome.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Lore is poor reasoning. The lore was created after the name.
The name was designed to evoke PvP, and the first game had a very strong eSports focus. Guild versus guild was the beating heart of this experience.

If you want to use lore as an excuse, the game should really be call Tyria: The Dragon Wars.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

For one part, it’s definetly calculated marketing to announce a sequel but don’t deliever one, except for the lore. Many people fell into this “trap” and I think the only reason they didn’t give this game another name – started a new series- is because they wanted to use reputation and momentum of GW1 to get this thing started.

(edited by Escadin.9482)

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Actually, the game changed a lot before it was released, go watch GW1 early trailer, should shed some more light on the name of the franchise. I’ve no idea where to look for it nowadays though…

Posted by: Anubis.9346

Anubis.9346

They don’t want to support GvG. They told us so many time by not respond to the treads and just close them.

So be it, we are using OS arena until a new game is providing us a real GvG mode (ie Camelot Unchained hopefully).

Get Get [iNk] Insidious Blink

Nick.6972

It’s a sequel to the original game.
We were promised that GW2 will take everything we loved about GW1 and use it in sequel.
My Guild loved GvGing.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

inb4 lore reasons

The lore of the GW2 is so negligible when compared to other MMO games that I totally understand people who don’t know it.

However, this game needs introduction of new systems of gameplay, as well as new explorable zones, lots of skills, weapons etc. etc. At the same time, i.e. 2 years after its premiere, GW1 had twice the amount of new permanent content that GW2 has now atm. Well, what am I comparing? GW1 sold in over 9 mln copies, while GW2, so far, can only dream about it.

Hope they add some new stuff in the summer. And please, if you want to respond with the usual, “hey, there’s that awesome feature patch coming on 15 April”, then please, don’t bother. What we’ve got in the feature patch is pretty much something that all the players asked inb4 the game premiered, lol.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

I would be curious to see a GvG in GW2, but let’s not delude ourselves into thinking it will be anything like GvG in GW1. GW2’s combat system is far too arcade-like to provide for the same sort of tactical battles. Due to positioning restrictions, the monk class, counters for everything and just an overall rhythmic pacing to the game, GW1’s stand fights were drawn out and it took careful execution to make headway. In GW2, stationary fights on the 5v5 or 8v8 scale, would be a clusterkitten and likely end fairly quickly after some unstoppable gank attempt.

RedCobra.7693

Do you buy every game you see instantly or do you do your research first? I do research on anything I’m going to buy and if you do research on this game before buying it then you will know that the name is tied to the story. It’s like playing AC4 and then saying why the hell am I playing a pirate.

that was probably THE worst counter arguement you could of picked, i bought Assassins Creed and expected to be part of a creed…..of assassins…

OMG what do you know i was in a creed of assassins i never expected that, titles are the first medium in which the developer gets to tell you about the game, 99% of the time it directly relates to the content inside for example

Tomb raider
forza Motorsport
assassins creed
Uncharted
World of Warcraft
Call of duty
Battlefield 3
Guild Wars 1
Grand theft auto
Wii sports
The Elder scrolls

Do you see where im coming from… so get off your “i know lore” high horse, having stabs at people who are well within there reason to expect some wars between Guilds,.

20 pence added i can now calm down >:C

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

And here we go again…

This again… Here, I’ve written an explanation before, so have at it.

“Guild Wars 2,” the game, is named what it is for marketing reasons, to ensure that the players of the first game would know that this was a “continuation” of the original “Guild Wars,” Co-OpRPG. The original “Guild Wars” was named as such because of it’s original design, that being a PvP-based MMO, but was changed during its development into a PvX centric game (with PvE eventually taking the spotlight).
Additionally, lore-wise, both games are named after an event which predates their timelines, that being the Guild Wars. The Guild Wars were a series of wars fought by some of the largest guilds on continental Tyria, with the last one ending due to Ascalon entering into serious conflict with the Charr.

“Guild Wars 2” isn’t named the way it is due to a focus on guilds, that content was never meant to be a focus of the game. It was named after its predassosor who kept its original name despite it having its original design elements changed.

@RedCobra You still shouldn’t have put Guild Wars 1 on that list. There were no active wars going on between guilds in Guild Wars. Yes there was GvG, but that would be more like scrimmaging between two guilds for sport, not war.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

(edited by TriggerSad.2597)

Posted by: Truthbearer.9708

Truthbearer.9708

inb4 lore reasons

Yes, good call, since that’s pretty much the right answer. Just as if someone answered with inb4 2 on a thread asking what 1+1 is.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a MMORPG having one of their features as a title. World of Warcraft, you can craft wars? Tera Online? The Elder Scrolls Online? Neverwinter? The Secret World? Wildstar? Etc etc. As far as I know there aren’t any MMORPGs called 80 Men Raid Online or Massive PvP Battles the Game. So it’s a pretty weak argument, non-existent even. Ignorance is no excuse either.

Nick.6972

The first game was well known for the GvG mode. There were big tournaments with much bigger cash rewards than in this game.
It’s reasonable to expect the sequel to have similar features and content as in the original game.

And lets be honest, most people don’t care about the lore.

RedCobra.7693

The first game was well known for the GvG mode. There were big tournaments with much bigger cash rewards than in this game.
It’s reasonable to expect the sequel to have similar features and content as in the original game.

^this exactly

also @truthbearer,
How can you say my argument was Non existent, i provided quite a lot of examples
the fact that you chose non subjective titles shows youre just clinging on
If guild wars was called something like tyria online id understand but its not, its called Guild wars, so i expects some guild wars,

Find me one very subjective title that doesnt give you what it suggests and i will accept that you are right

Truthbearer.9708

GW1 =/= GW2. Saying you expect things from a previous installment is hardly an argument. For starters, GW1 wasn’t even an MMORPG. The classes are different, the combat is different, etc etc. There’s plenty of games out there where the sequel differs plenty from the original.

How can you say my argument was Non existent, i provided quite a lot of examples
If guild wars was called something like tyria online id understand but its not, its called Guild wars, so i expects some guild wars,

Find me one very subjective title that doesnt give you what it suggests and i will accept that you are right

What? The games I listed don’t tell anything about the game, just the universe it’s set in (e.g. Azeroth and Tamriel). Just like how Guild Wars 2 tells us it’s set in Tyria. But since you really need an example of an MMORPG that doesn’t tell you anything about the game, how about Perfect World.

RedCobra.7693

GW1 =/= GW2. Saying you expect things from a previous installment is hardly an argument. For starters, GW1 wasn’t even an MMORPG. The classes are different, the combat is different, etc etc. There’s plenty of games out there where the sequel differs plenty from the original.

What? The games I listed don’t tell anything about the game, just the universe it’s set in (e.g. Azeroth and Tamriel). Just like how Guild Wars 2 tells us it’s set in Tyria. But since you really need an example of an MMORPG that doesn’t tell you anything about the game, how about Perfect World.

READ MY POST,

I said find me a SUBJECTIVE title that DOESNT follow the subjective, for example a game called mariokart where you ride horses, it just doesnt EVER happen, if you can find a game (other than Guild wars 2) that breaks this rule ill accept youre right, oh and yes you should expect elements from sequels thats why we refer to them as sequels, otherwise its just a different game, hence the argument of why people say anet should of given gw2 a different name

Truthbearer.9708

READ MY POST,

I said find me a SUBJECTIVE title that DOESNT follow the subjective, for example a game called mariokart where you ride horses, it just doesnt EVER happen, if you can find a game (other than Guild wars 2) that breaks this rule ill accept youre right, oh and yes you should expect elements from sequels thats why we refer to them as sequels, otherwise its just a different game, hence the argument of why people say anet should of given gw2 a different name

Already gave you one. And yes GW2 has plenty of elements of GW1, that’s why it’s a sequel. You obviously missed the point, though.

I think you need to reread my posts, since you’re going in circles. Like I said, there are plenty of MMORPGs that don’t list a feature in their title. Maybe you should calm down, all this rage is not helping you read well.

RedCobra.7693

oh for the love of goodness

READ MY POSTS xD

Find me Subjective Title (perfect world isnt subjective) that doesnt follow what it suggests
Maybe i should be saying Suggestive title instead

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

Its actually Gold Wars now

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Regardless of whether or not its called guild wars for lore reasons, the game seriously needs GvG’s. Guilds have pretty much been whats kept wvw alive. Skill groups have exponentially increased in WvW. The scene in T4 at prime time is just guilds fighting each other. GvG’s are hard to accomplish because of griefing. Just give us an instanced place at least ;P I kind of think this may come around hte time guild halls does.

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

It’s called Guild Wars 2 because they wanted all the GW1 player base to buy the new game. I believe everyone that played gw1 understands this.
They made a poor choice by naming it GW2, and I personally was mesmerized by the name and was expecting something very different.
I saw someone saying that people hardly care for the lore. I’d like to disagree with that. Everyone I’ve met so far in game expressed his/her disappointment for the lack of story and lore (and don’t mention even the LS crap please because it’s at such a different level I won’t even consider it). Honestly GW2 would have been much better if they made the Personal Story identical or very similar with the Missions.
They changed the gameplay from patience and strategy to go in and mash buttons. (which isn’t necessarily bad, but stuff gets repetitive A LOT faster).
People argue that it’s called GW2 because it’s on tyria (and a few other minor elements), and that should be enough. You know that’s kitten right?
This game doesn’t deserve the name Guild Wars 2. If they called it Tyria (as in the name of the world and not the continent) Online it would have been much better.

(edited by Fasalina.6571)

RedCobra.7693

It’s called Guild Wars 2 because they wanted all the GW1 player base to buy the new game. I believe everyone that played gw1 understands this.

Bingo, 10 points to gryffindor

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Regardless of whether or not its called guild wars for lore reasons, the game seriously needs GvG’s. Guilds have pretty much been whats kept wvw alive. Skill groups have exponentially increased in WvW. The scene in T4 at prime time is just guilds fighting each other. GvG’s are hard to accomplish because of griefing. Just give us an instanced place at least ;P I kind of think this may come around hte time guild halls does.

What you need to understand WvW is a type of GvG mainly what you find in OS the more formal of the type. If GvG was out side of WvW a lot of builds would simply die because GvG outside of WvW will be in Spvp. If your willing to deal with the what type of gear you get in Spvp then very formal GvG will be good but a lot of players do not like what you find in Spvp to the point of if GvG makes it way into Spvp it will be mostly not played and the GvG in WvW will become the more played like it is now.

Guild halls are kind of pointless you can take any thing as a guild hall in GW2 if you want i guess ppl want to chase how they look but only the big guilds will have the “nice” looking guild hall and the one man guilds may not even have the ability to make there own guild hall. You must think before you act on these things what would you need to do to get a guild hall? More then like it will not just be there when you start a guild and odds are it will not be there well with in months of having a new guild with a med pop and high activeness.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, as it has been mentioned many times in all the previous topics already, it is called like that because in the design stages of GW1 it was meant to be a PvP game with PvE entrance lobby, revolving around guilds. That design didn’t survive the first year of the game – it was already weakening at the launch, and was completely dropped after Factions when the focus schifted towards PvE.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Dusty Moon.4382

GW1 was considered a cooperative RPG not an MMO. Max players you could have in an instance (any of the zones, etc. was 12). The Towns and outposts could be considered graphical lobbies to meet and match players.