The incoming updates look promising.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Most of Arenanets manpower is focused on LS? I’d like you to back that up with some sources. But people will believe whatever they choose to believe sourced or otherwise, so I suppose, carry on.

Yes, you are using apologetic wrong, considering I’m not apologizing for anet. Pointing out discrepancies in what people think or assume happens vs what actually happens isn’t apologizing. It’s informing.

Some people feel there hasn’t been enough content. Others feel there has been some, but would have liked more. Still others feel there was just enough. And others still feel it was too much. No matter what they do, no matter what approach they take, they cannot please everyone. The best thing they can do is make their plans and move forward with them, even if it means stepping on some people’s toes. If you don’t like their choices, there are plenty of other games out there.

@Nage, is it starting to feel like we’re trying to bail water out of the Titanic here?

I don’t have any source. These are my assumptions based on what gets put into the game. Of course like all assumptions they may or may not be true but guess what? You don’t have any source either. So exactly what was your point, other than belittling me?

Again, you don’t have inside info afaik. So how exactly can you inform people when both sides are talking about stuff they don’t have hard data on.

Sure thing, I agree with you. You can’t please everyone, but that doesn’t mean that everything you do is perfect and feedback shouldn’t be given. I understand that you lots love GW2 and there’s nothing wrong with that, but please relax and let other people post their dissenting opinion without accusing them of impatience or stubborness, or dismissing them because they don’t have a source when you don’t have any either.

Maybe it feels like that because it’s what you are doing? On that matter, where is Vol? Haven’t seen him lately.

Off I go to another game, because apparently I shouldn’t bother posting.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Except that the biggest problems with GW2 didn’t require time to fix as much they required better decisions up front and the simple willingness to learn from MMO’s that preceded it. ANet could and should have fixed issues and implemented things that were pointed out in forum posts within the first couple of months after launch … some even during beta. The problem here isn’t the time it took to address those shortcomings in various areas of the game … it’s the conscious decision by ANet to focus resources on other things, in many cases on things players repeatedly said they didn’t want.

GW2 could have been the 2,000 pound gorilla of the MMO world if ANet had managed it differently.

As you so keenly pointed out, it’s not our decision to make. Did they do things wrong? Perhaps. In our eyes, oh most certainly, but what about in theirs? Maybe, maybe not. They have admitted that they have been doing some trial and error testing, especially with LS.

I haven’t necessarily agreed with all of their choices, and I’ve been among those that were vocal about things I objected to. However, I’m also aware that there is nothing I can do beyond voicing my opinion. That’s all any of us can do, because we are not the ones in charge. At the end of the day it boils down to Anet has their own plans that they intend to follow. They can see the broader scope, where we as players are only privy to a select few things in that broader design. That’s a typical business for you though. You either hang out for the ride, and see what happens, or you don’t.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Most of Arenanets manpower is focused on LS? I’d like you to back that up with some sources. But people will believe whatever they choose to believe sourced or otherwise, so I suppose, carry on.

Yes, you are using apologetic wrong, considering I’m not apologizing for anet. Pointing out discrepancies in what people think or assume happens vs what actually happens isn’t apologizing. It’s informing.

Some people feel there hasn’t been enough content. Others feel there has been some, but would have liked more. Still others feel there was just enough. And others still feel it was too much. No matter what they do, no matter what approach they take, they cannot please everyone. The best thing they can do is make their plans and move forward with them, even if it means stepping on some people’s toes. If you don’t like their choices, there are plenty of other games out there.

@Nage, is it starting to feel like we’re trying to bail water out of the Titanic here?

I don’t have any source. These are my assumptions based on what gets put into the game. Of course like all assumptions they may or may not be true but guess what? You don’t have any source either. So exactly what was your point, other than belittling me?

Again, you don’t have inside info afaik. So how exactly can you inform people when both sides are talking about stuff they don’t have hard data on.

Sure thing, I agree with you. You can’t please everyone, but that doesn’t mean that everything you do is perfect and feedback shouldn’t be given. I understand that you lots love GW2 and there’s nothing wrong with that, but please relax and let other people post their dissenting opinion without accusing them of impatience or stubborness, or dismissing them because they don’t have a source when you don’t have any either.

Maybe it feels like that because it’s what you are doing? On that matter, where is Vol? Haven’t seen him lately.

This is a great post. Someone posted a positive thread, with a positive opinion. It’s immediately assaulted by someone who’s leaving (again, against forum rules), and you’re telling me I should let people post their negative stuff (when most threads are negative anyway).

You’re in a positive thread, contradicting the positive person. I’m supporting the OP, that’s all.

Plenty of negative threads I’ll never post in, because there’s plenty wrong with Guild Wars 2 that needs to be fixed.

But realistic expectations? I’ll always defend that.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

There are entire categories of core features that are missing or underdeveloped. Post-80 content, lasting non-ls content, teamplay mechanics, meaningful guild activities, CPU optimization, UI customization, skills, weapons, classes, races, non-gemstore armors and so on. If you read recent glassdoor reviews by employees (both the good and the bad ones), the general sentiment is that the company is stretched too thin trying to accommodate the frantic LS pace.

Post 80 content? Have as much as any other MMO
teamplay and meaningful guild activities? That’s there
The game is always being optimized, hence we’re able to not have culling anymore
UI customization is not something every MMO allows. In fact most don’t.
weapons, classes, races, etc are just fine. We have those. We have non gemstore armours too.

Is this an april 1st post? Where are GvG and HA? Where are Underworld, FoW, Deep, Urgoz, DoA, and Sorrow’s Furnace? Where are the new classes & skills (a handful of skills and traits are fine, but not alone after a year and a half)? Culling wasn’t so much an optimization but a bug fix to enable people to see the enemy…

Nage.1520

There are entire categories of core features that are missing or underdeveloped. Post-80 content, lasting non-ls content, teamplay mechanics, meaningful guild activities, CPU optimization, UI customization, skills, weapons, classes, races, non-gemstore armors and so on. If you read recent glassdoor reviews by employees (both the good and the bad ones), the general sentiment is that the company is stretched too thin trying to accommodate the frantic LS pace.

The game is always being optimized, hence we’re able to not have culling anymore
weapons, classes, races, etc are just fine. We have those. We have non gemstore armours too.

Is this an april 1st post? Where are GvG and HA? Where are Underworld, FoW, Deep, Urgoz, DoA, and Sorrow’s Furnace? Where are the new classes & skills (a handful of skills and traits are fine, but not alone after a year and a half)? Culling wasn’t so much an optimization but a bug fix to enable people to see the enemy…

In Guild Wars 1, where was the WvW, The Fractals of the Mists, the 32 dungeon paths (33?) that exist in Guild Wars 2.

Where was the markpetplace, the jumping puzzles, the guild missions?

It’s different content. You may have that HA and GvG was stand out content, but I never touched either of them. The Deep and Urgoz’s Warren I did once. FoW was okay.

Do you really think the majority of the player base ran the Underworld?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually we do have a quote somewhere that the LS teams are small and not the majority of the developers. I don’t recall who the heck it was by (Colin, Mike, or Chris I think). I’ll have to go see if I can hunt it up. Of course Colin and Mike are also rather vocal that they have plenty going on in the background with other teams, but they aren’t ready to release details yet (can’t say that I blame them either).

There are a lot of general misconceptions on how development works. Yes, there are differences in every environment, but most of the basics are the same. Additionally, they have talked about their development in both blog post and on their livestreams. You can infer from there.

I never said feedback shouldn’t be given. Never, in my hundreds of posts have I said any such thing. However, I have pointed out that you can give feedback until you’re blue in the face, doesn’t mean they’ll do anything with it, and that’s their prerogative. We don’t necessarily have to like it; gods know I wasn’t pleased when they pushed forward with the ascended crap, but it’s not our call. It’s not our game. We play it, but it’s still not ours. (As much as some of us might like to stick our fingers in the code….)

Ok just because I use the term impatient in regards to the general population doesn’t mean it applies to everyone. If it doesn’t apply to you, why are you so grumpy about it? It does apply to many, just look through the multitude of posts on this forum.

I try not to simply dismiss others opinions. When they make blatant statements like ‘the living story teams are the majority of the workforce’ like it is indeed fact, yeah I’ll call you on it. I’m quite happy to argue opinion back and forth. Keeps me from being bored.

As for Vol…. I saw him post earlier today…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Back on topic…………..

I think the upcoming feature patch looks promising, as well. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings by way of the newest blog post. =)

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

In Guild Wars 1, where was the WvW, The Fractals of the Mists, the 32 dungeon paths (33?) that exist in Guild Wars 2.

It’s different content. You may have that HA and GvG was stand out content, but I never touched either of them. The Deep and Urgoz’s Warren I did once. FoW was okay.

I never said gw2 didn’t have non-LS content, but it’s mostly the same content as day 1.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Where are GvG and HA? Where are Underworld, FoW, Deep, Urgoz, DoA, and Sorrow’s Furnace?

So only GvG and HA is meaningful? What about guild keep upgrades? What about guild missions? Meaningful is subjective. If meaning was judged by what was in the previous game and is not in the sequel, world of warcraft would have no players, because in no way shape or form does it resemble Warcraft the strategy game.

Where are the new classes & skills (a handful of skills and traits are fine, but not alone after a year and a half)?

And who promised you all that? Some MMOs release with one race and a few classes and add slowly over time (look at Ragnarok Online 2 for example), others take years to add a new race (World of Warcraft released Burning Crusade after 3 years of the original release), others launch with all the available classes and races.

Culling wasn’t so much an optimization but a bug fix to enable people to see the enemy…

Actually if you remember reading posts after the anti-culling update the developers were very proud of themselves for managing to get their engine to run it well enough. Other MMOs still have culling. It took them a mammoth amount of work to remove culling and now you’re calling it a bug fix? Culling was supposed to be there.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Back on topic…………..

I think the upcoming feature patch looks promising, as well. Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings by way of the newest blog post. =)

I’m eagerly awaiting the blog tomorrow as well. I’m trying super hard not to speculate, but I just can’t shut my head off apparently.

Nage.1520

I never said gw2 didn’t have non-LS content, but it’s mostly the same content as day 1.

Sure, most of it. But there’s been stuff added. A new dungeon path, a completely revamped set of three dungeon paths, five fractals (in fact the entirety of FoTM wasn’t here at launch). Some of those jumping puzzles that were added are pretty big actually. The new TA path> The Tequatl and Wurm encounter.

And you know it’ll be a long time before I forget the Marionette. It may not be here now, but I sure played the hell out of it.

There’s been plenty of content and there’s plenty of content coming. Hell, I played the hell out of the Nightmare Tower too.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

You’re very correct Nage, people have no patience. Many don’t even seem to know what it is anymore. They forget that Rome was not built in a day. The same goes for any form of entertainment, video games especially.

I wish people had more patience and accepted the game as it is. World of Warcraft started small before becoming the MMO giant that it is today. Anyone here remember WoW vanilla? I don’t remember Blizzard catering to every complainer who screamed about leaving whenever there was something in the game they didn’t like. What Blizzard did was bid the complainer goodbye while keeping with their vision of the game, and their devs worked together as a group. I hope Anet does the same.

WoW also had its problems back in the day. I’m old enough to remember when people complained about the raids when Warcraft came up with them. The same goes for WoW’s LFG tool. There were folks who hated the cartoony aspects of the game. People complained as much about Puggers as they do in this game. With the Catacylsm expansion, the old timers quit en-masse, and the Pandaria expansion caused more people to leave. People even threaten to leave if the game didn’t become completely subscription free.

But Blizzard kept with their vision anyways. In the process they attracted more players to their base and (correct me if I’m wrong) they’ve got a stable 7.8 million subscribers.

I hope that Arena net will keep with their original vision for this game and quit trying to please every complainer that threatens to leave. The “vision” (as I like to call it) acts like a roadmap for the game, much in the same way that the Wyld Hunt does for the Sylvari PCs. (Yeah, I had to throw in a Gw2 reference). It requires alot of confidence to keep going despite criticism. It’s great to listen to fans. However, there are times that we have to be like George RR Martin and tell the fans, “While I appreciate the comments, it’s still my story. I need to finish it my way.”

I also hope that devs rebuild their courage soon. As a creator myself, I can definitely relate to what the staff go through. In my own life, I’ve gotten so much negative criticism for my work (animation & writing). I know what it’s like when the negative criticism wears one down and paralyzes one with fear. I wish I could be there to tell to tell the devs to take things day by day. (Maybe the devs will see this post? Maybe?)

GW2 has so much potential. It has a great mythos behind it, and that’s why people like me stick with this game. It can also bring people together that no other game in my experience ever has. AARM is the first guild I’ve been in for more than 3 months. That’s never happened to me in any other game (including WoW). I hope that the game fulfills its potential.

(edited by kta.6502)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No one ever mentions these, but there are some other permanent or semi-permanent changes to the game. Kessex Hills has several new DEs and gathering nodes. Three of the starter zones have new DEs, as well.

Maybe no one does them, but they were added to the game. Which makes one think….
Will any new ‘permanent’ content be played after the first few weeks? I don’t know. I do them, when I’m in the area, but not many seem to. What a shame.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

You’re very correct Nage, people have no patience. Many don’t even seem to know what it is anymore. They forget that Rome was not built in a day. The same goes for any form of entertainment, video games especially.

I wish people had more patience and accepted the game as it is. World of Warcraft started small before becoming the MMO giant that it is today. Anyone here remember WoW vanilla? I don’t remember Blizzard catering to every complainer who screamed about leaving whenever there was something in the game they didn’t like. What Blizzard did was bid the complainer goodbye while keeping with their vision of the game, and their devs worked together as a group. I hope Anet does the same.

WoW also had its problems back in the day. I’m old enough to remember when people complained about the raids when Warcraft came up with them. The same goes for WoW’s LFG tool. There were folks who hated the cartoony aspects of the game. People complained as much about Puggers as they do in this game. With the Catacylsm expansion, the old timers quit en-masse, and the Pandaria expansion caused more people to leave. People even threaten to leave if the game didn’t become completely subscription free.

But Blizzard kept with their vision anyways. In the process they attracted more players to their base and (correct me if I’m wrong) they’ve got a stable 7.8 million subscribers.

I hope that Arena net will keep with their original vision for this game and quit trying to please every complainer that threatens to leave. The “vision” (as I like to call it) acts like a roadmap for the game, much in the same way that the Wyld Hunt does for the Sylvari PCs. (Yeah, I had to throw in a Gw2 reference). It requires alot of confidence to keep going despite criticism. It’s great to listen to fans. However, there are times that we have to be like George RR Martin and tell the fans, “While I appreciate the comments, it’s still my story. I need to finish it my way.”

I also hope that devs rebuild their courage soon. As a creator myself, I can definitely relate to what the staff go through. In my own life, I’ve gotten so much negative criticism for my work (animation & writing). I know what it’s like when the negative criticism wears one down and paralyzes one with fear. I wish I could be there to tell to tell the devs to take things day by day. (Maybe the devs will see this post? Maybe?)

GW2 has so much potential. It has a great mythos behind it, and that’s why people like me stick with this game. It can also bring people together that no other game in my experience ever has. AARM is the first guild I’ve been in for more than 3 months. That’s never happened to me in any other game (including WoW). I hope that the game fulfills its potential.

The problem is, at least from the perspective of a primarily WvW player, that the devs have been taking the game AWAY from the original vision. Just about everything that has been added to WvW has promoted a mindless zerg behavior instead of the broad-spectrum strategy-based warfare that was originally intended. As I said before, it’s not an issue of how much time it takes to make changes … it’s an issue of which things were worked on and which ones were ignored. I don’t think that anyone can claim that WvW is in a better place today than it was 15 months ago (aside from possibly the implementation account-wide WXP and the elimination of repair costs … minor changes in my opinion), and that’s about as kitten ing an indictment as I can think of.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Did they do things wrong? Perhaps. In our eyes, oh most certainly, but what about in theirs?

At the end of the day it boils down to Anet has their own plans that they intend to follow.

I just want to point out these two tidbits. After working with another company in the MMO business for what will soon be four years, I can assure you that your interpretation of how the MMO industry works is unfortunately flawed.

Because the reality of the matter is that in a community-driven game where profits are made on the basis that players are retained, success is found solely when the catered audience feels as though you (as the producer) have not failed them.

Producers for this industry need only portray their own vision, not abide strictly to it. The audience playing and paying for the support of the game simply has precedence in terms of their vision over the producers. Yes, producer vision is essential – for a product without a desired destiny or major features cannot sell – however selling points of a game in this industry rely solely on the fact that the producers’ vision of the game parallels that of its targeted audience to a degree it can bring a profit.

I want to note that I do not blame any particular section of the company because we don’t have that information to place a target. Mis-communication between branches can kill a company. Micro-management by executives can. Poor development cycles and lazy developers can. Even moderators not communicating with staff and staff not with project managers can.

I’ve seen the game I’ve worked on lose 96% of its yearly stable income sources in a single patch cycle within a month of that release. I’ve seen player toxicity rise to levels where over sixty percent of active players have received at least one account suspension. I’ve seen hacking prevention updates/auto-banning implementations deny over 30% of the playerbase access to the game in one go.

And what’s the worst aspect? The game was slated for success on launch. It reached a million players within its first year as a F2P title with almost literally zero ad campaigning. It’s surviving only because of its first-year/vanilla profit success.

These are the side effects of a game not being maintained well. As an employee, I can assure you that all of these faults are because of a mis-aligned company vision. When the company fails to assume the perspective of the players, the company fails entirely.

I’m not saying GW2 is dead or dying – no – it built way too much hype for that to happen for a long time, and has made a fair share of money on release due to the $60 sign-up fee. I assure you the launch profits were huge based on the number of people I know personally who pre-ordered the game and never played it again after the first week. What I am saying is that ANet is establishing a bad track record; one that isn’t sustainable. Experimenting is great, but it shouldn’t come at the cost of necessary implementations, and if it hasn’t, then there are serious issues pertaining to the teams involved with what should be considered as “standard” game implementations and updates. ANet’s vision cannot just be their own – that is – if they want to succeed as a business, especially in this industry; they need to adopt the players’ vision (I’m not referring to ludicrous posts about demands asking for easymode content and everything being free in the gem store, etc.), and utilize the professional experience they have to make their product the best, because striving for anything less isn’t good enough.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

No one ever mentions these, but there are some other permanent or semi-permanent changes to the game. Kessex Hills has several new DEs and gathering nodes. Three of the starter zones have new DEs, as well.

Maybe no one does them, but they were added to the game. Which makes one think….
Will any new ‘permanent’ content be played after the first few weeks? I don’t know. I do them, when I’m in the area, but not many seem to. What a shame.

That’s mostly because anet takes the easy route and makes everything about grinding gold or mats. Aside from obsidian generation, we have pretty much no use for karma after one becomes lvl80 and gets enough gold to buy the armor they want. Plenty of folks are sitting on thousands of wvw badges because there isn’t much to do with them. Dailies get more and more simplistic and general as time goes on lessening the need to go to different areas to complete them.

Meanwhile, both ascended and legendary gear is only accessible by massive grinding of money and materials which means people will flock to the best spot to farm and never go anywhere else because why bother? It’s no big mystery why only 2 zones have dedicated champ trains.

One easy way is to give all those crap trophy drops a purpose like they had in GW1. Most are restricted to specific mobs in small areas so people would have to go all over the map to get them if they were given a purpose that people desired. It certainly worked in GW1 when they created Nicholas the Traveler and the Zaishen bounties. Zones went from dead for years to overflowing with activity when in rotation.

It’s not impossible to breathe life into zones, but they can’t do it when one just needs stacks of mats and a fat wallet to get all the “best” gear. At least, not with the systems they currently have in place.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No one mentions guild missions either and all of those were added to the game after launch.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Did they do things wrong? Perhaps. In our eyes, oh most certainly, but what about in theirs?

At the end of the day it boils down to Anet has their own plans that they intend to follow.

I just want to point out these two tidbits. After working with another company in the MMO business for what will soon be four years, I can assure you that your interpretation of how the MMO industry works is unfortunately flawed.

Because the reality of the matter is that in a community-driven game where profits are made on the basis that players are retained, success is found solely when the catered audience feels as though you (as the producer) have not failed them.

Producers for this industry need only portray their own vision, not abide strictly to it. The audience playing and paying for the support of the game simply has precedence in terms of their vision over the producers. Yes, producer vision is essential – for a product without a desired destiny or major features cannot sell – however selling points of a game in this industry rely solely on the fact that the producers’ vision of the game parallels that of its targeted audience to a degree it can bring a profit.

I want to note that I do not blame any particular section of the company because we don’t have that information to place a target. Mis-communication between branches can kill a company. Micro-management by executives can. Poor development cycles and lazy developers can. Even moderators not communicating with staff and staff not with project managers can.

I’ve seen the game I’ve worked on lose 96% of its yearly stable income sources in a single patch cycle within a month of that release. I’ve seen player toxicity rise to levels where over sixty percent of active players have received at least one account suspension. I’ve seen hacking prevention updates/auto-banning implementations deny over 30% of the playerbase access to the game in one go.

And what’s the worst aspect? The game was slated for success on launch. It reached a million players within its first year as a F2P title with almost literally zero ad campaigning. It’s surviving only because of its first-year/vanilla profit success.

These are the side effects of a game not being maintained well. As an employee, I can assure you that all of these faults are because of a mis-aligned company vision. When the company fails to assume the perspective of the players, the company fails entirely.

I’m not saying GW2 is dead or dying – no – it built way too much hype for that to happen for a long time, and has made a fair share of money on release due to the $60 sign-up fee. I assure you the launch profits were huge based on the number of people I know personally who pre-ordered the game and never played it again after the first week. What I am saying is that ANet is establishing a bad track record; one that isn’t sustainable. Experimenting is great, but it shouldn’t come at the cost of necessary implementations, and if it hasn’t, then there are serious issues pertaining to the teams involved with what should be considered as “standard” game implementations and updates. ANet’s vision cannot just be their own – that is – if they want to succeed as a business, especially in this industry; they need to adopt the players’ vision (I’m not referring to ludicrous posts about demands asking for easymode content and everything being free in the gem store, etc.), and utilize the professional experience they have to make their product the best, because striving for anything less isn’t good enough.

No idea what you’re basing this “bad track record” on, but I don’t think that the game is really in that situation.

Basically there are too many people who really do like the game for it to be in those straights. It doesn’t work for certain types of players…that’s 100% true. It really wasn’t designed for those players.

There are enough people it DOES work for to keep this game running for a long, long time.

Nage.1520

No idea what you’re basing this “bad track record” on, but I don’t think that the game is really in that situation.

Basically there are too many people who really do like the game for it to be in those straights. It doesn’t work for certain types of players…that’s 100% true. It really wasn’t designed for those players.

There are enough people it DOES work for to keep this game running for a long, long time.

You don’t have the numbers to back that up. Just because you think something’s true, doesn’t make it true.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

This isn’t a p2p game where high player pop = profit though. Those thousands of people logging in each day need to be buying gems or Anet makes squat off of them which means, after the box money is used up, they start losing money keeping the servers and staff running.

Being a b2p game means people can come and go as they please, but Anet needs them to also be buying gems when they do log in if they want things to keep chugging along.

The game won’t be going anywhere anytime soon but that applies to both down and up if they stick to their “play it safe and appeal to the lowest common denominator” strategy.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

The problem is, at least from the perspective of a primarily WvW player, that the devs have been taking the game AWAY from the original vision. Just about everything that has been added to WvW has promoted a mindless zerg behavior instead of the broad-spectrum strategy-based warfare that was originally intended. As I said before, it’s not an issue of how much time it takes to make changes … it’s an issue of which things were worked on and which ones were ignored. I don’t think that anyone can claim that WvW is in a better place today than it was 15 months ago (aside from possibly the implementation account-wide WXP and the elimination of repair costs … minor changes in my opinion), and that’s about as kitten ing an indictment as I can think of.

I disagree. I would however agree that it is very easy to get by with zerg mentality at lower WvW ladder ranks. I do not play WvW on a top 3 server, but I imagine that there isn’t much zerg mentality on the top 3 and I’m fairly confident that a coordinated team who doesn’t zerg will win against zerging. It’s just that at lower ranks where servers do not have enough WvW focused players to keep a cap on the map at all times (or even any of the time) what ends up mattering most is how many players your server has on the map.

I’m not really sure how much they could do to disincentivize zerging. Ideally, a lone player defending a tower, keeping watch for enemies, and calling out when the tower is about to be attacked should be rewarded as much or even more than a person that is part of a zerg running around stomping undefended towers, but from a developer’s perspective it is nearly impossible to differentiate between that defending scout from an afk leecher.

Cactus.2710

I disagree. I would however agree that it is very easy to get by with zerg mentality at lower WvW ladder ranks. I do not play WvW on a top 3 server, but I imagine that there isn’t much zerg mentality on the top 3 and I’m fairly confident that a coordinated team who doesn’t zerg will win against zerging. It’s just that at lower ranks where servers do not have enough WvW focused players to keep a cap on the map at all times (or even any of the time) what ends up mattering most is how many players your server has on the map.

I’m not really sure how much they could do to disincentivize zerging. Ideally, a lone player defending a tower, keeping watch for enemies, and calling out when the tower is about to be attacked should be rewarded as much or even more than a person that is part of a zerg running around stomping undefended towers, but from a developer’s perspective it is nearly impossible to differentiate between that defending scout from an afk leecher.

The problem is rather simple, and so is the solution. In the time since launch Anet buffed the individual rewards that came from player kills and flipping objectives. That promotes zerg behavior because it is flat out the most effective way to get rewarded … and has virtually nothing to do with winning the match (spare me the references to reward chests). There really is no reason for players to sacrifice those rewards in favor of actually holding objectives … or more importantly, holding key objectives that leverage the battlefield for taking other objectives. Roaming zergs flipping towers is pretty much the standard now, and even playing on a mid-tier server I’ve often watched in amazement as enemy zergs avoid each other in favor of flipping an unguarded tower … without anyone ever bothering anymore to upgrade or defend it.

If ANet actually wanted to encourage the kind of strategic play style that WvW was intended to provide they would make karma, WXP, and loot some kind of function of PPT. Win the match (or have the most accumulated PPT per tic or per hour or per six hours or per day … whatever) and you get more loot. Take away the loot for capturing anything and you’d have a totally different (and in my opinion, better) game.

Too dependent upon relative player populations you say?? Absolutely … which is another critical flaw that they have ignored since day one. Go back six months ago and check the original WvW CDI on population balance and see how far that got in spite of a lot of good suggestions from a lot of very earnest players.

Any way you look at it, the original vision for WvW was outstanding and the few original shortcomings could have been addressed by now if anyone at ANet cared enough to do so. They haven’t, though, and the changes they have made drove everything in the wrong direction. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any online game concept squandered so badly.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Nage.1520

The problem is rather simple, and so is the solution. In the time since launch Anet buffed the individual rewards that came from player kills and flipping objectives. That promotes zerg behavior because it is flat out the most effective way to get rewarded … and has virtually nothing to do with winning the match (spare me the references to reward chests). There really is no reason for players to sacrifice those rewards in favor of actually holding objectives … or more importantly, holding key objectives that leverage the battlefield for taking other objectives. Roaming zergs flipping towers is pretty much the standard now, and even playing on a mid-tier server I’ve often watched in amazement as enemy zergs avoid each other in favor of flipping an unguarded tower … without anyone ever bothering anymore to upgrade or defend it.

If ANet actually wanted to encourage the kind of strategic play style that WvW was intended to provide they would make karma, WXP, and loot some kind of function of PPT. Win the match (or have the most accumulated PPT per tic or per hour or per six hours or per day … whatever) and you get more loot. Take away the loot for capturing anything and you’d have a totally different (and in my opinion, better) game.

Too dependent upon relative player populations you say?? Absolutely … which is another critical flaw that they have ignored since day one. Go back six months ago and check the original WvW CDI on population balance and see how far that got in spite of a lot of good suggestions from a lot of very earnest players.

Any way you look at it, the original vision for WvW was outstanding and the few original shortcomings could have been addressed by now if anyone at ANet cared enough to do so. They haven’t, though, and the changes they have made drove everything in the wrong direction. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any online game concept squandered so badly.

The problem with that reward structure happens when a server simply can’t compete with the other servers in the same tier. Sometimes it really is a matter of numbers.

So the servers that win get all the rewards and there’s no real reason for a server that’s going to lose to come and play at all.

I’m not sure how to solve that problem but I’m sure it would be a problem if rewards were given only to those who dominate.

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

Let’s give people a reminder again:

Posted by: Paffus Piffus.9430

Paffus Piffus.9430

Sadly, I unintalled GW2 this weekend. Im spent on it. Things like the wardrobe I posted in the suggestions forum a month after release. Here we are 1.5 years later, and its finally coming. No Scav hunt. Still a focus on LS and zerg content. No love for dungeons(what happened to revamping the bosses in dungeons…just did AC and forgot about it? Oh, right, the living story).

No, Im done. After playing Wildstar the past two weekends and with the awsome updates to Diablo 3/expansion, I have more than enough to fill my time than waiting around 6 months, 9 months, year, 1.5 years for arenanet to breathe life into this game.

Big hype, huge letdown. This game could have been so much more if it focused on exploration, real world changes when run of the mill dynamic events succeed or fail, etc.

And yet here you are, in the forums of the game you dislike so much, putting a dampener on a positive post. Why man, why?

Cactus.2710

The problem with that reward structure happens when a server simply can’t compete with the other servers in the same tier. Sometimes it really is a matter of numbers.

So the servers that win get all the rewards and there’s no real reason for a server that’s going to lose to come and play at all.

I’m not sure how to solve that problem but I’m sure it would be a problem if rewards were given only to those who dominate.

Here’s how … instanced matches between factions instead of between servers (just like EOTM), with the ability for reasonably sized teams to join as a group and with population caps sized to whatever hardware/engine/bandwidth ANet decides to cripple the game with.

Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-snip- (just cause it was really long)

While it is true that a company cannot simply lay out a plan and adhere to it strictly in order to succeed. Neither can they succeed by bowing down to their players’ screams for various things either. They’ll have an outline, if you prefer that to plan, on where they want to go, things they want to do. Yes, they’ll look at feedback, they’ll adjust to keep the majority happy (cause ya just can’t please everyone), but they will also make decisions based on what is best for their overall goals (and profits, they are a business after all). We aren’t necessarily going to like it, or agree with it. Some will leave, others will be drawn in by what they find when they try it.

Could ANet have an issue with not following the basic “you are not your player” rule that is taught in the most beginning of game design courses? Sure. They have clearly stated that they are building “a game that they like to play”. So probably even likely. However, there are people of similar / like mind as them and enjoy the game. So they’ll obviously have at least some audience for the game, although perhaps not as large of one as they originally shot for. I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing, just pushes them back in to the niche category. Of course, that doesn’t complete rule out just having wishy-washy decision makes with no clear goals either. That’s always a possibility too.

I don’t necessarily agree on the ‘bad track record’ comment. Anet is just being Anet. They are following the same trend they pretty much always have. Nothing they have done (outside of ascended) has surprised me significantly. shrug To each their own though. We all look at it differently.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

-snip- (just cause it was really long)

While it is true that a company cannot simply lay out a plan and adhere to it strictly in order to succeed. Neither can they succeed by bowing down to their players’ screams for various things either. They’ll have an outline, if you prefer that to plan, on where they want to go, things they want to do. Yes, they’ll look at feedback, they’ll adjust to keep the majority happy (cause ya just can’t please everyone), but they will also make decisions based on what is best for their overall goals (and profits, they are a business after all). We aren’t necessarily going to like it, or agree with it. Some will leave, others will be drawn in by what they find when they try it.

It just seems after each patch implementation, they’re abiding to their internal vision and are doing very little to accommodate for player requests. Most changes appear to be coming from their opinions as players rather than what is being asked for by the community. This is especially apparent in regards to a lot of aspects of core mechanics such as profession balance and attempting to increase build diversity. Quite a few attempted resolutions to this, including some of what’s coming in the feature patch, is proving more detrimental to both aspects – a completely opposite effect to these goals they’re trying to achieve.

Of course one can’t take every request. Like I said, players asking for a totally free game, or one which is just too easy shouldn’t be listened to, for this is a business and money is essential to keep that service going. If this was public service, then nobody would ever need to pay anyone anything or attach an incentive to paying for certain things in-game. As I stated, the issue relies in that a company in this business cannot succeed without being more inclusive towards the players. From what I’ve seen since release, there exists only the guise of player-inclusion or any real heed to such discussion. Without real progress, the game will get more toxic, just as the one I’m working on has. The players which stay play only for bragging rights on their accomplishments and stomping other players, for the community players will leave when they realize nothing is being done by the publisher to accommodate other styles of play rather than how those truly managing the game see it.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I wish they would release the last two blogs. I’ve been refreshing for hours.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

They like releasing the first part early and then holding on to the follow-ups until the end of the day.

ANet is such a tease.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I wish they would release the last two blogs. I’ve been refreshing for hours.

Lol. Me, too, since 5am PDT.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

People must take into account that unlike more traditional MMO’s Gw2 does not rake in a colossal sum of cash every month thus allowed gigantic development teams to work the way the do

its simply a trade off that we have to live with

I much prefer to play Guildwars 2 and wait for these kind of improvements instead of being forced to pay a monthly subscription fee and get them sooner

at least I wont have my game rights removed when I can’t afford a monthly sub that one week

What the problem really is, is simply people feel too entitled and ask for too much in too short a time frame
Guild wars 2 gives you hell of a lot for a one time purchase MMO

Part of it might be that people just don’t understand the effort involved for creating something as large as a game. Development is a long process by itself, for just simple programs. Now add in all the graphics, voice acting, all the tiny components that have to work fluidly together. It’s a huge complex machine to try to choreograph, but people just don’t understand the effort involved in that. Nor do they want to sadly. If more had a better understand, maybe they’d be less kitteny.

Except that the biggest problems with GW2 didn’t require time to fix as much they required better decisions up front and the simple willingness to learn from MMO’s that preceded it. ANet could and should have fixed issues and implemented things that were pointed out in forum posts within the first couple of months after launch … some even during beta. The problem here isn’t the time it took to address those shortcomings in various areas of the game … it’s the conscious decision by ANet to focus resources on other things, in many cases on things players repeatedly said they didn’t want.

GW2 could have been the 2,000 pound gorilla of the MMO world if ANet had managed it differently.

Yes, I’ve called it reality testing. If asked what GW2 could do to turn things around i would say add a chief reality testing office that all decisions must go through. With the right personnel all could be fixed.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

And, agree with @cesmode, D3 ROS captures the essence of Diablo and I’m happily playing it. There is an example of a turnaround in gaming history that Anet would do well to study.

Posted by: bump.2156

bump.2156

Same here, sitting at work hitting refresh waiting to read the news.

Bumpin Mumpins, Poison Mumps, Bumpassin, Olivia Bumps
Henge Of Denravi
Grinding is so much better when the kitten is crying

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Sadly, I unintalled GW2 this weekend. Im spent on it. Things like the wardrobe I posted in the suggestions forum a month after release. Here we are 1.5 years later, and its finally coming. No Scav hunt. Still a focus on LS and zerg content. No love for dungeons(what happened to revamping the bosses in dungeons…just did AC and forgot about it? Oh, right, the living story).

No, Im done. After playing Wildstar the past two weekends and with the awsome updates to Diablo 3/expansion, I have more than enough to fill my time than waiting around 6 months, 9 months, year, 1.5 years for arenanet to breathe life into this game.

Big hype, huge letdown. This game could have been so much more if it focused on exploration, real world changes when run of the mill dynamic events succeed or fail, etc.

How/why are you still here then? I know that sounds rude but I’m seriously baffled especially considering you uninstalled and reinstalling would require a LOT of time after patches and all. Congrats on the many +1’s btw. Not many “too late, I quit” posts get upvotes lol.