The races of GW2 -- Elves, dummies!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Sylvari fill that tole aestheticly. Humans sort of fill it culturally to some extend.

I love elves too. I read all of Elf Quest comic, I played elves in most other games that had the option. But elves do NOT belong in GW. Simple.

I think you are wrong in assuming that many hates asura and charr. Sure some are not exactly fond of them. But a lot love them.

The races of GW are amaizing and cool. No classic elves can substitute that.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

I think of charr more like gnolls, to the point I even named one Gnoll Steakcutter. Anyone play DDO? The Black Citadel is reminiscent of the Burning City, though a hell of a lot prettier, and the Burning City was a dungeon.

now that you mentioned it, yea, they do look like gnolls.

On the topic at hand, yea, the tropes are there but have been ‘reskinned’ with a few traits changed around to mix it up a bit. Overall I think that’s better than just slapping on an elf race. I’ve never been fond of elves in their typical type anyways (like in warcraft example). I dabbled with elves in Dragon Age because instead of ancient, powerful race we get a race that is enslaved by humans and are like second class citizens.

Also asura and charr are cool. I like playing an asura, though charr is hard to jump around.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I still have my account open though I haven’t been back since I started playing this. I suffered some sort of horrible lag problem. That said, I really enjoy it otherwise. I love the gameplay and the multiclassing. Plenty of soloing, plenty of grouping. Elves…

Lots of people like it and lots of people don’t. It’s been through the same sort of forum arguments that GW2 is going through. Probably still is.

F2p if you want to try it out.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think of charr more like gnolls, to the point I even named one Gnoll Steakcutter. Anyone play DDO? The Black Citadel is reminiscent of the Burning City, though a hell of a lot prettier, and the Burning City was a dungeon.

Is DDO any good? Always wanted to try it, but Eberon (or however it’s spelled) was kind of a turn off. Whenever I see the Citadel I always think “Death Star”.

If you want to see REAL greed in a cash shop,. play DDO. What a P2W piece of garbage. The original game was quite okay, but the company is mega greedy. Anyone who plays that game and doesn’t fork out lots of money won’t be playing for long. Turbine is a bad, bad company. They should not be allowed to get involved with an MMO.

zenleto.6179

Is DDO any good? Always wanted to try it, but Eberon (or however it’s spelled) was kind of a turn off. Whenever I see the Citadel I always think “Death Star”.

If you want to see REAL greed in a cash shop,. play DDO. What a P2W piece of garbage. The original game was quite okay, but the company is mega greedy. Anyone who plays that game and doesn’t fork out lots of money won’t be playing for long. Turbine is a bad, bad company. They should not be allowed to get involved with an MMO.

Lol Vayne, it’s not that bad. But it does have a different feel to Anet’s shop. Greedier? Possibly but I haven’t really compared the two. I spent a fair bit of money on it though…

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I still have my account open though I haven’t been back since I started playing this. I suffered some sort of horrible lag problem. That said, I really enjoy it otherwise. I love the gameplay and the multiclassing. Plenty of soloing, plenty of grouping. Elves…

Lots of people like it and lots of people don’t. It’s been through the same sort of forum arguments that GW2 is going through. Probably still is.

F2p if you want to try it out.

F2P if you want to spend a fortune unlocking content that is only available for VIP’s
Yes I am one of those who hated it and I had a sub.
Even with the sub it cost me.
My husband enjoyed it though- I disliked it so much that I promised myself I would never play an MMo again.
Hehe here I am.
It was and probably still is very popular though, so try it if you are interested.
It is an extremely good looking game even with it’s age.
Artificer was also fun.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Lol Vayne, it’s not that bad. But it does have a different feel to Anet’s shop. Greedier? Possibly but I haven’t really compared the two. I spent a fair bit of money on it though…

Any game that’s P2W is just bad. Really bad. They do, however, have elves. But they also make the best choices and races a pay option, and limit you to not doing certain dungeons unless you pay.

Early on in the game, there’s one item that’s a shuriken that returns to you. It’s lovely. The only problem is, you have to buy that dungeon to play it go get that specific, very useful reward. On top of that, I’d already paid to play the monk profession that uses it. I have a friend who plays that game. The amount of money he spends on it is outrageous.

It really is that bad.

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

What do the most successful fantasy MMOs have in common? They had elves! People love elves. Remember EQ? And then WoW.

GW2 would have been better off not trying to be so original, and just stick with the races that people know and love. I’d guess that 80% of players dislike the Charr and Asura races. The Sylvari are not much better, although I suppose they are the closest you can get to an elf.

As far i remember, this is neither WoW or EQ! Guild wars has its own lore and truth to be told! I’m happy about there are no elves!
The race close to the elves are the sylvaris. Firstborn and tree huggers like elves^^

I do like my charr warrior( My big fur bomb in plates of steel) and my little asura elementalist(6 Feet tall!!! Sticks and stones will break your bones, small wheeling legs and funny jumps with bouncy ears)

But if you dislike Guild Wars for not having any elves or orcs. Then stick to mainstream fantasy universe in Lord of the Rings, EQ and WoW.

Guild Wars got its own lore Deal with it!

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

(edited by kesuh.3891)

zenleto.6179

You can unlock it all for nothing, just requires a bit of work. Or a lot of work.

Anyway, this is very off topic.

(For Vayne)

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

what this game needs is Gnomes, give the Asuras some competition

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Remember, charr were unequivocal bad guys in the first game. For some, guild wars will always be a human story.

Id play my asura more if he could shout BOOKAH at passing humans tho…

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Elves generally fit in with a mysterious, magical feeling. GW2’s only has realism, if any other feeling is left it’s destroyed by lame jokes and NPC dialogue. I don’t think elves would fit in at all.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

You guys haven’t commented on what I said about the Charr and Asuran races. I don’t think anyone can deny that most people really don’t like to play those races. This game just doesn’t have enough cool races. People want to play epic characters, and that means being a race that you think is cool. Look at WoW, a lot cooler selection of races… blood elves, night elves, orcs, dwarves, goblins, etc.

Then why did you ever leave WoW for GW2.. its kinda obvious its not floating your boat.
I have been a DDO player since the start of time.. but even in a game so rich in Tolkienesc fantasy world Elves are far from the stand out race. I grew up in a time of table top fantasy gaming and Tolkien books, all of which were/are great but GW1 and now GW2 don’t need such similarities in lore and classes to be able to hold its own against the plethora of other MMO’s.. and as for WoW… oh please don’t ask for this game to be just another WoW clone gone bad… you wanna play pandas go back and play panda’s.

I will add I don’t really go for Char in GW2, I find them mind numbingly slow and encumbersome but they fit the scene in many ways imo.. just not my preferred race… I guess we all have favourites.
What GW2 really needs more than races is a better camera system so that larger races don’t fill the screen when your in enclosed areas like Jum,p puzzles.. it kinda kills the desire to play a large race for me, hence why I prefer Asura … but even then the armours etc need way more improvement to make them that much more enjoyable for me.

Bottom line, lets fix what we have first then consider options like new races and Lore advancement.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

A: This isn’t wow or eq?

Actually none of my characters look ‘high fantasy’ even. Well maybe my Charr guardian in a way, but still unique. Even my norn warrior has more of a futuristic sci-fi look. You just want to equip your elf with one of those new super adventure box shields, don’t ya?!?! What this game needs are LASERS!
edit: oh wait, my mesmer has a GS laser…

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Sylvari have pointy ears.
Female Sylvari have a pretty face option.
2 of the Sylvari hair styles actually look like anime inspired hair as opposed to leaves.
Sylvari can be black skinned, gold skinned, blue skinned, pink skinned, green skinned, and copper skinned to cover all genres of elves.

Just make a sylvari like the rest of us did because if they introduce real elves (or dwarves) in an expansion I’m going to be very annoyed rerolling all my characters.

Hopefully by then full ascended gear (armor and weapons) will be out and it will all be account bound instead of soulbound.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Any game that’s P2W is just bad. Really bad. They do, however, have elves. But they also make the best choices and races a pay option, and limit you to not doing certain dungeons unless you pay.

Early on in the game, there’s one item that’s a shuriken that returns to you. It’s lovely. The only problem is, you have to buy that dungeon to play it go get that specific, very useful reward. On top of that, I’d already paid to play the monk profession that uses it. I have a friend who plays that game. The amount of money he spends on it is outrageous.

It really is that bad.

I have played DDO since early beta in EU… I paid subscription until the game became DDO Unlimited as have most of my guild… can’t recall ever spending a penny in the Turbine cashshop under duress and have gotten pretty much everything I could and upgraded most things to Epic sets etc…
The business model is nothing like P2W.. but it has to make money like any other F2P game.. so certain content is paid for, just like this will be .. sooner than you think… what you are getting at the moment is the appetiser, the cashshop is already becoming a P2W carrot cake here… .. once players have enough resources they will simply buy Legendary weapons, buy the Karma sets etc, etc.. then when the content dries up so enter the paid expansions.. what we get at the moment are merely snippits of extra content that was likely already piped into the process prior to launch, just needed tweaking.

As for Turbine, I think you will find they have pretty much laid ownership to decent F2P game models and many games could take a leaf out of their books. That being said I don’t tend to opt for F2P options anyway.. with the exception of GW1/2 but that’s why ANETS model is also fine, because it caters heavily for more casual gaming habits… I took a 6month sabbatical from DDO to get into GW2… but now find myself logging back there already, albeit on the F2P model (Premium) and sure, a few of my toons of certain classes are shelved and some content areas will need to be bought (if I choose not to resub) but hey.. you can still get to lvl 20 and gear up more than effectively with F2P and also earn Turbine points in game in which to buy things.. you just need to be smart enough how to do it quick and easy… its not P2W though imo, but neither is it perfect … its merely a business looking to make a profit because long gone are the days when we could buy a game and that was that.. box sales serve to keep the shareholders happy when the break even point gets surpassed.. cashshop keeps the game going it keeps the content coming and it keeps people in their jobs no doubt.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

If elves exist on GW lore they live on other moon, they are rather clueless about space travels or portals tech.
Asurans or Charrs so far dont have a space program also.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I absolutelly love Charr, i think they are just great(and about the only race that doesnt seem overly goofy in gw2)
I hated the Asurans, till a friend of mine made one so cute i wanted to do nothing more than protect it day and night…..
I play a Norn, but thats because im a fan of nordic barbarian type.

I also like the idea of a world with only humans like a song of ice and fire or Conan the Barbarian, i dont find the races in GW2 bad at all, i like them more than any other MMO i have played so far tbh, i just would like alot less goofyness in the story and so far the new living story has kinda gotten that right, im hoping it stays that way

Posted by: Those Who Remain.1987

Those Who Remain.1987

You guys claim you like all the races, but how many of you would play as Asura or Charr as your main? I still think that the vast majority of players don’t want to play as these races. More compelling races would have attracted more players to this game. Lots of people like the traditional fantasy races like elves.

Then let those play games that wish to be traditional. I prefer the setting and races of GW2 over any ‘traditional’ game out there.

I am personally most intrigued with the Sylvari, but I like the way the other races look as well. Norn are my least favourite race to be honest.

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

DDOs cash shop is now terrible. You can pay to get to lvl 16 (4 lvls away from max), increase epic destiny levels, and now buy “shards” to obtain previously bound-to-char items, like some special raid items. Imo, that game is going to crash down.

Magummadweller

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Also, I love asura. I have 7, 4 at 80, and then one sylvari at 80.

Asura ftw.

Magummadweller

Posted by: Romer.1034

Romer.1034

You guys claim you like all the races, but how many of you would play as Asura or Charr as your main? I still think that the vast majority of players don’t want to play as these races. More compelling races would have attracted more players to this game. Lots of people like the traditional fantasy races like elves.

Asura Guardian is my main. The Asura are easily the most interesting race in the game with the best animations. I’ve also got a Sylvari Mesmer and a Charr Engineer.

If people don’t want to play this game because it doesn’t have elves they need to broaden their mind. Not every gamer wants the same old tropes, stories and races thrown at them constantly. Not all consumers are happy to be sold the same game with a different overcoat on every year in a CoD esque manner.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

You guys haven’t commented on what I said about the Charr and Asuran races. I don’t think anyone can deny that most people really don’t like to play those races.

I have an Asura elementalist closing in on level 60. He’s cool, but the male Asura only have one face I like (females have two).

I have not yet been able to get past level 6 or so with a Charr.

As for the Sylvari… ugh. Rolled a male Sylvari ranger, got him into the 20s, rerolled male Human (now 80). Rolled a female Sylvari engineer, got her into the upper 30s with 400 in jewelry, rerolled female Human (now in the mid 40s). Conclusion: no more Sylvari for me.

I’d roll an Elf in a heartbeat. How do we know there aren’t elves in Tyria? Tyria has had Dwarves, after all. Dwarves and Elves are like bacon and eggs. Peanut butter and jelly. Smith and Wesson. Maybe the elves have just been verrrrrry seclusive. Until now! Maybe they could out of hiding because they have become aware of the true threat (“Dragons is so stupid.” ~ Yosemite Sam) to Tyria: the Super Adventure Box!

I’d also happily roll a Centaur or a Largos (provided they don’t have ugly fish faces behind those masks, with pale eyes that never move or blink or do anything but stare blankly straight ahead).

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Yep, leave it to anet to be original. These developers seem to go out of their way to make the game fun, original and engaging. Really ticks me off sometimes. Oh and while we’re on the subject of frivolous and petty nitpicking, what the hell is up with all the stairs in divinities reach? I mean kitten did they really need to make all those stairs?

Could have been time better spent elsewhere.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Murderin.8269

Murderin.8269

What do the most successful fantasy MMOs have in common? They had elves! People love elves. Remember EQ? And then WoW.

GW2 would have been better off not trying to be so original, and just stick with the races that people know and love. I’d guess that 80% of players dislike the Charr and Asura races. The Sylvari are not much better, although I suppose they are the closest you can get to an elf.

Elves are scrawny. And the males almost always look feminine in every game.

I’m glad they didn’t put them in GW2.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

When people say elf they most often mean Tolkien elves. When in reality it’s a modernization of elves.

Elves were a bunch of different things. You infact have elves in GW2, in the shape of the asura and sylvari. Both fit in the mythological spectrum that is the elf.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

I’ll tell you why there are no elves in Tyria.

The Elves departed from our world a long time ago. They sailed on their ships into the West to live among the Gods. There they shall wait until the end, when the Halls of Manos are opened and the elves both living and past will be united among the lost souls of man among the statues of dwarven lords great and small.

The dawn shall come again!

Honestly, as much as I enjoy elves in fantasy mythology, they’re not something that you should just crowbar into a game because you can. And as mentioned, Sylvari do a good part of filling in the role of ‘caretaker of the world’ archetype.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I vote for playable oozes too

Over in STO I campaigned for the Horta to be a playable race instead of a combat pet. Predictably, Cryptic took the easy, non-innovative route. Cryptic didn’t even have to try to defend their indefensible decision. The players did it for them. “Horta don’t have hands! They can’t hold phaser rifles or tricorders! They can’t wear uniforms! They’d burn through the deck!”

/e sigh

Maybe Anet should give this idea some thought. Imagine an ooze ranger circle strafing with a bow, or an ooze thief flipping over an opponent while wielding dual daggers. Or an ooze warrior mowing down the enemy ranks with its magical greatsword. Or an ooze elementalist that changed colors every time it changed attunement. That would be innovative. And cool.

Beware of the Blob!

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Dessan.9420

Dessan.9420

You guys haven’t commented on what I said about the Charr and Asuran races. I don’t think anyone can deny that most people really don’t like to play those races. This game just doesn’t have enough cool races. People want to play epic characters, and that means being a race that you think is cool. Look at WoW, a lot cooler selection of races… blood elves, night elves, orcs, dwarves, goblins, etc.

That was a joke, wasn’t it?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

I for one have had enough of Elves.

Sylvari are pretty much elves in essence anyways, very similar with all there tree’s and plants.

however to people saying ‘’there has NEVER been elves in GW lore’’ your right there has not been a sniff of them however they could be added at any point, for lore sakes they could be very much to themselves in the far reach’s of Tyria.

if elves ever where added i would hope the typical ‘’tree hugging, nature loving’’ elf would be gone and although i am sure you would still keep there elegant / tree house type of stuff i would hope they would be more dangerous and rugged and mysterious and un-playable.

again Sylvari are very similar in essence to some portrayals of them.

however i think Guild Wars is striving for there own lore and trying hard to not repeat / exhaust all ready exhausted arch-types of fantasy tales.

warcraft, WoW, Hammer4000 (board game and game), Magic the Gathering, LotR (obviously) all have elves and very similar arch types… i dont know but if you ask me Guild Wars is the most refreshing MMO (and RPG) for lore in that regard you can activley see they are trying to make there own stamp on the genre.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Charr’s are awesome. The running way of charr made me choose a charr for my main! However the gear looks like rubbish on charrs (—Begging for Branded Charr’s look gear— ). Asura’s are equally fun. Almost Toy story live! Sylvari, are different and goes very well with 3 parts of lemon juice and 1 olive oil (ask Gordon Ramsay for confirmation).
Humans and Norns are the same old models built for the same old reasons
50% – “hey, i’m a dude and i built this chic with watermelon sized breasts”
40% – Gear on other races don’t look so cool!
10% – Any other cases!

But, why on hell should every game’s Lore stick to the D&D races format? It’s quite refreshing to explore a world (i’ve not played GW1), where you don’t know the Lore from the start (Elves are bonded with nature, dwarves are cave addicts, yada yada yada)…

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

That was a joke, wasn’t it?

I think it was a joke, i mean playing a small Asura a deep dwelling being forced to the surface, a Huge Animal from the dawn of time, a living Plant, Human, Northerner (norn) sure is boring (jk, ofcourse)

these are much more original, well plant lady, asura and charr than anything WoW offers.

you use WoW as an example lets break it down;

Human
Night Elf (human tree hugger with pointy ears)
Blood Elf (human even in color with pointy ears and a crack….magic addiction)
Gnome ( a really really small human)
Dwarf ( a small, but not really small but muscular rock dwelling……dwa…human)
Undead ( literally a human walking and talking corpse)
Worgen ( a human that transforms into Tyler from twilight)

Goblin – fair doo’s still not original.
Orc – Fair doo’s, again not original.
Panda – well a panda is a panda.

thats variety? a bunch of humanoid re-skins and re-scales?

- i am not saying Warcraft lore sucks, in fact i love there lore outside of the shambles of lore WoW is, but it really is not anything special.

Guild Wars and GW2 and with there created lore, sure they have there own cliche’s and things but ultimately it is more original than what warcrafts is.

(edited by DrixTrix.7168)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Elves are about 50% of the reason I got into fantasy originally, the other 50% being dragons. For a while my approach to choosing new books was entirely to look for anything with the word elf or dragon on the cover.

Any time I have the opportunity my main character is either an elf or a half-elf and when I don’t I normally go for the most elf-like race. GW2 is an exception, she’s human because I wanted her to be descended from my GW1 characters, otherwise she would have been a sylvari. But I do also have a sylvari called Alleria Wildrunner, so I’ve still shoe-horned my elf fix in there. (And no I couldn’t go play WoW instead because I’ve never liked that game, largely because of what they did with the elves.)

But even I wouldn’t want elves in this game. As many people have said it’s nice to have something different sometimes, and I don’t think elves would fit in to Tyria, even if they had been introduced in Eye of the North when the norn and asura were added.

Besides it’s not like you’re short of games with elves if you want them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Spoiler – Humans are the elves in GW2.

Don’t believe me? – The human are the majestic and ancient dying race clinging onto a forgotten pantheon and a shadow of their former selves, looking back wistfully to the time they spanned the globe, walked with gods and commanded all the power of the world.

Exactly like the original fantasy elves ala Tolkein – I’m pretty sure I read somewhere in one of the dev blogs where the devs themselves made the comparison

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

Spoiler – Humans are the elves in GW2.

Don’t believe me? – The human are the majestic and ancient dying race clinging onto a forgotten pantheon and a shadow of their former selves, looking back wistfully to the time they spanned the globe, walked with gods and commanded all the power of the world.

Exactly like the original fantasy elves ala Tolkein – I’m pretty sure I read somewhere in one of the dev blogs where the devs themselves made the comparison

Indeed – humans definitely fit in with a lot of typical elf themes. I think it’s an interesting take on fantasy humans, who are usually the ‘young, upstart’ race in typical fantasy. Here, they are the once-mighty race now on the decline, struggling to survive as newer races begin to eclipse them.

To the topic at hand, there won’t ever be elves There’s plenty of fantasy that caters to elf lovers. GW2 wanted to get away from typical fantasy races – that’s why the dwarves are much less prominent now. Elves have no place on Tyria.

And also, I love Charr – might even be my main if I wasn’t a GW1 vet and thus was heavily invested in human lore. I admit to an anti-Charr bias from the first game, but I’ve really come to appreciate the race. And anyone comparing Charr to Orcs really missed a lot of the cultural nuance of the Charr. GW1 Charr may be somewhat Orc-like, but GW2 Charr are worlds away from that.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Seriously OP? Where did you get that 80% of players dislike charr and asura?
They’re both awesome.

This game has better and more unique races (including non-playable ones – skritt, quaggan, hylek…) than most of the rehashed fantasy games out there, and that’s saying something considering the lore has never been the selling point of GW, compared to other things (say TES for example).

And I have to say, sylvari are a breath of fresh air – sort of the mirror image of standard fantasy elves, in that they are incredibly young and naive, with psychedelic architecture that has more in common with things like Cinderella.

Now all we need are playable Tengu.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

tl;dr

I would’ve liked an elven race too. Although I agree that the humans are the ‘elven’ race comparatively speaking, the fantasy/majesty/mystery that elves have hasn’t really been translated in any of gw2’s existing races (Sylvari simply pales in comparison). Elves are usually an ancient/superior race, the complete opposite of sylvari. Although I’d much rather have another profession though (like the ritualist), than another race.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I agree that humans and elves tend to be popular races in MMOs, but that does not mean that GW2 should have elves — nor is it an indication that players dislike the other available races.

I think the asura and charr are awesome, and they’re some of my favorite races I’ve seen in any MMO.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Charr and asura are probably the most widely actively disliked races, but not everyone has to like them. Just enough that they still get played, which definitely appears to be the case. I don’t think there’s a problem there.

Also: there will be more races coming, and some of them may capture elements of whichever rendition of an “elf” that you have in mind that are not already captured by the current five. So in some ways people may get what they’re asking for; it just won’t be called an elf.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i jump to conclusion, not reading the content.
i love sylvari, they are the thing most near to fairy lore than everything seen on mmo.
wherever i go i see charr and asura, everybody loves them, everybody.

and we also have trolls like you op in this forum, fantasy is still better without elves and dwarves

edit: unless in dragon age they are flawed with history of slavery. that’s a twisted revolution i can appreciate far more than these perfect ancient gay people with pointy ears

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

(edited by Amadan.9451)

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Sylvari are considered the Elves of Tyria by lots of people…

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

sylvari lore is very similar to fairy lore in our legends, all this nightmare court and the dreaming and the leafs and the winged cultural armor, and all this genderless love, the wylde hunt etc etc. they have nothing in common with elves just as their maker (tolkjen) pictured them, they just happen to like to live in the forest (though elves have buildings while sylvari have seed like buildings provided by their own mother).

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Darkstar.6178

Darkstar.6178

Kryta – Constantinople

Istanbul

Posted by: Kunshu.5281

Kunshu.5281

I think that GW2 does have elves. Sylvari are just plant-Elves, and Largos are water-Elves. Case closed.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The idea of Elves are to be the perfect human in most stander fantasy games. If you truly want to get down to it Norn are the close things to an Elves in GW2. They are one with nature they live in the elements very well they tend to be much bigger then humans. You guys must get past the point of the ideal of the wood elves there where a lot more then just that type in fantasy games. Sylvaris are nature it as if the earth it self made this races from other plants. Its like the different between a tree and a Hippie when you try to compare Sylvari to Elves.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Good thing this game tried to be more original and not recycle the same races you see in every other MMORPG.

Haaaa Haaa haaa..

Charr.. Orc, Tauren, etc.
Sylvari… Fae. EQ2 Fae are even plant born. Elves.
Norn. … Barbarians, Halasians.. eq staple for 13 years.
Asura are soooo Gnomish. geez.

Charr.. Orc, Tauren, etc.
Sylvari… Fae. EQ2 Fae are even plant born. Elves.
Norn. … Barbarians, Halasians.. eq staple for 13 years.
Asura are soooo Gnomish. geez.Not much of anything in this game is “original”.

sorry. Weird formatting error.

Interesting though. 30 year old NES junk is ecstatically raved about, but elves are no go. I find it very funny.

Your argument is basically:

take a race from WoW, EQ, etc
pick a different race in GW2 that has the same_ish_ body style
say they’re the same

Charr =/= Orc – they are both large, non-human, war-based. That’s where the similarities end. Totally different lore, morality alignment, alliances, etc. And the only similarities they have with Tauren are they’re both large animal-esque races. That’s it.

Sylvari =/= Elf. They’re both ethereal in feel. That’s about it. Elves are immortal & wise. Sylvari are <25yrs old & generally naive.

Asura =/= Gnomes. They’re both small. Wow, they must be the exact same. Asura are magical, gnomes are tinkerers. Dwarves build stuff, o so do Asura.

Game developers have to make the races they choose diverse. Just because there are races that are small and large and hairy and lithe and peaceful and warring…they aren’t the same thing. You’re bound to see similarities but to say they’re unoriginal because Anet made a small race so they must be gnomes is ridiculous.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Sylvari are closer to the original Gaelic idea of “elf” than modern, Tolkien-derivative “elves”.

Nightmare Court = Unseelie Court

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Possibly the worst thing I’ve ever read on this forum. Which is quite a feat to be honest.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Although I do love Elves, I do not think they fit in GW2.

Also, I am not a huge fan of the non-human races in GW2. They are OK, and I think many people like them, but all of my chars are a human for a reason.

It would be neat to see the addition of more races in the future, but something that fits with the GW lore.

Posted by: legion.7518

legion.7518

Charr are pretty much ripped straight from the Tauren of WoW. And I’m pretty sure they are one of the more unpopular races in that game. Not sure why a developer would choose to make that a playable race. A better alternative would have been Ogres. Again, you want more people to play your game then give them cool races that they want to be. Who wants to be a cow?

(edited by legion.7518)