The races of GW2 -- Elves, dummies!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Maldavos.4871

Maldavos.4871

Well, you can’t please everyone.

I can’t stand the typical fantasy races, they are overdone tropes that show the writers wanted to play it safe and stay with something familiar rather than actually think and come up with something unique.

We have cow-panthers, glowing plant-people, giant nordic animists and little shark geniuses. Thank you Anet for branching out a little.

The game is only a few months old, Charr and Asura will grow on people and you’ll see more of them as mains. There is hardly a lack of them now anyway, even if you and your mates don’t play those races.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

I want a furbie race,
And a my little pony race
And I want to play as a zerg

…. oh wait were not just throwing random crap into the game? Elves have no lore or place in gw2…. if they ever get added I expect to be able to make a character that resembles pinky pie or rainbow dash in the near future.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Are people so blind…

Sylvari = Guildwars 2 Elves

Pointy ears – Check
Slender Appearance – Check
Tree hugging plant lovers – Check

Sylvari = Good Elves
Nightmare Court = Drow/Dark Elves

Just because they are ugly as sin and are vegetables doesn’t hide the fact that they are still Elves…

OK, so what’s the elven counterpart to the Dream? The Pale Tree? Ronan and Ventari? The Wyld Hunt? The sylvari are Arthurian-inspired, what’s Arthurian about elves?

And, frankly, my sylvari are better looking than almost all of my other alts, save the asuran with the hair buns.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Mursaat are kind of like Fair Folk, they’re ancient, enigmatic beings of great magical power, who kidnap bad little children and whisk them away, never to be seen again.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The wylde hunt in european myth is when elves transformed some poor guy into a buck and hunted them down. The only way usually to save them is for their wife/girlfriend to sleep with the lead elf. Really pleasant story.

Are people so blind…

Sylvari = Guildwars 2 Elves

Pointy ears – Check
Slender Appearance – Check
Tree hugging plant lovers – Check

Sylvari = Good Elves
Nightmare Court = Drow/Dark Elves

Just because they are ugly as sin and are vegetables doesn’t hide the fact that they are still Elves…

OK, so what’s the elven counterpart to the Dream? The Pale Tree? Ronan and Ventari? The Wyld Hunt? The sylvari are Arthurian-inspired, what’s Arthurian about elves?

And, frankly, my sylvari are better looking than almost all of my other alts, save the asuran with the hair buns.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

“Oh, not more flipping elves. But he didn’t say ‘flipping’, sir”

/Lewis

Yargesh.4965

“Oh, not more flipping elves. But he didn’t say ‘flipping’, sir”

/Lewis

Was thinking of this lol.

Posted by: Zahme.7802

Zahme.7802

You guys haven’t commented on what I said about the Charr and Asuran races. I don’t think anyone can deny that most people really don’t like to play those races. This game just doesn’t have enough cool races. People want to play epic characters, and that means being a race that you think is cool. Look at WoW, a lot cooler selection of races… blood elves, night elves, orcs, dwarves, goblins, etc.

I prefer cute races, and Asura are the cutest in GW2, so I only play Asura =)

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

This is defiantly a joke post. I don’t know why you would need to have pointy ear tree hugging humans in the game when we already have non pointy ear tree hugging humans. Unless of course you have an elf fetish or something.

Also. This may blow your mind… but WoW isn’t original either. Warcraft is based off of Warhammer.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I’d guess that 80% of players dislike the Charr .

I dont know about 80% but i can tell you that a lot of people who played GW 1 were taught for 7+ years that the Charr are evil and should have been wiped off the face of Tyria 250 years ago . Do to this very correct view i would fathom to guess that a lot of people refuse to play Charr

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I want a furbie race,
And a my little pony race
And I want to play as a zerg

…. oh wait were not just throwing random crap into the game?

almost spit out my coffee

but you are right imo

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

What do the most successful fantasy MMOs have in common? They had elves! People love elves. Remember EQ? And then WoW.

GW2 would have been better off not trying to be so original, and just stick with the races that people know and love. I’d guess that 80% of players dislike the Charr and Asura races. The Sylvari are not much better, although I suppose they are the closest you can get to an elf.

I don’t think you could have said anything more wrong. Many people are getting sick of Elves. Charr & Asura are 2 of the things that make this game great. Even if it’s just visual.

Interesting though. 30 year old NES junk is ecstatically raved about, but elves are no go. I find it very funny.

So take a hint & realize people are sick of them.

Why so hostile? I’m not the OP, didn’t suggest Elves ingame, and must have touched a nerve there. Take a hint, google Elves, google Charr, and get back to me on which is more popular overall.

Take a hint.. “you” are sick of them.

Again, I didn’t suggest Elves in game. The game has Sylvari, which are fae enough and pointy eared enough to more than fit the niche.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Yargesh.4965

So because you get more hits from a word that has been used for hundreds of years in many different contexts than a word that comes from one game, it means charr are hated and everyone wants to include elves in GW2?

What do the most successful fantasy MMOs have in common? They had elves! People love elves. Remember EQ? And then WoW.

GW2 would have been better off not trying to be so original, and just stick with the races that people know and love. I’d guess that 80% of players dislike the Charr and Asura races. The Sylvari are not much better, although I suppose they are the closest you can get to an elf.

I don’t think you could have said anything more wrong. Many people are getting sick of Elves. Charr & Asura are 2 of the things that make this game great. Even if it’s just visual.

Interesting though. 30 year old NES junk is ecstatically raved about, but elves are no go. I find it very funny.

Why so hostile? I’m not the OP, didn’t suggest Elves ingame, and must have touched a nerve there. Take a hint, google Elves, google Charr, and get back to me on which is more popular overall.

Again, I didn’t suggest Elves in game. The game has Sylvari, which are fae enough and pointy eared enough to more than fit the niche.

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

You guys claim you like all the races, but how many of you would play as Asura or Charr as your main? I still think that the vast majority of players don’t want to play as these races. More compelling races would have attracted more players to this game. Lots of people like the traditional fantasy races like elves.

I would.

Main is Charr Necro (and will be for as many years as I continue to play the game; GW1 seven years, probably be about the same in GW2).

Alts are Charr Thief and Charr Engineer (simply to see how those professions play) and an Asura Mesmer.

The Asura was chosen only because his one purpose in life is to portal friends up the jumping puzzles and his smaller size makes the JPs easier; otherwise he’d be a Charr, as well. He even has the same armor to match my Charr Necro and has the same name with the prefix “Mini” in front.

So, yes, there are players who main Charr and Asura.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

What do the most successful fantasy MMOs have in common? They had elves!

That’s a sufficient reason not to add elves in GW2. A bit of originality is harmless… #BoredOfElves

Teofa Tsavo.9863

So because you get more hits from a word that has been used for hundreds of years in many different contexts than a word that comes from one game, it means charr are hated and everyone wants to include elves in GW2?

And where did you get all that? “it means charr are hated and everyone wants to include elves in GW2?” When did I state that, or imply that?

Like it or not, you have an Elf like race in game. One that did not exist in GW1. I would theorize that when Anet created a race out of thin air, that race having a resemblance to Elven types was not accidental, due to the popularity of such races in other games, popular literature, fantasy in general.

They even went so far as to include the classic dichotomy of good “elves” vs bad “elves” with the Nightmare Court, a concept ripped from the Unseely Court of Fae, elven and Faerlie Celtic mythology. (as well as the Wyld Hunt concept)

And why would I lobby for inclusion of Elves in this game, when, for all intents and purposes, they are already in.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

NEXT GW2 RACE: skirts
so we finally farm and grind for this game shinning.
GW2 where the value of a item depend on the shinnies and no the power.

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Dibs on the name A-Line

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Skritt? Been done, including a love of shinies. Ratonga.

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Ratonga_%28Character_Race%29

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

I realize your joking about this but the Skritt wouldn’t be playable simply do to how their IQ increases or decreases depending on how many of them are in the immediate area .

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

If you want elves for lore reasons, Humans are your race. They are old sentient beings who are good at magic. Looks wise, just go Sylvari and pick skin-toned colours.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

Well this is a weird thread.
Some people want elves to appear in GW2 lore. Some other people say “no, we don’t want elves please.” Then a lot of frothing a shouting starts about how none of the GW2 races are original anyway, and that Sylvari are just leafy elves.
So if that’s the case, why are people asking for elves again?

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

You guys haven’t commented on what I said about the Charr and Asuran races. I don’t think anyone can deny that most people really don’t like to play those races. This game just doesn’t have enough cool races. People want to play epic characters, and that means being a race that you think is cool. Look at WoW, a lot cooler selection of races… blood elves, night elves, orcs, dwarves, goblins, etc.

Excuse me? My main is a Asura and my two alts are a Charr and a Sylvari. I’ll probably never make a human or Norn character, because not only are they boring (since, you know, humans..), they also look pretty lame. Like elves are, which are just humans with pointy ears. Drag the ear slider all the way to the right if you want big ears. Do not force your idea of “epic looking” on others please. I think my Asura is absolutely adorable, and my Charr is epic.

And what are blood elves and night elves? A different elf flavours? Laaaame. If you want a Dwarf, play an Asura. That’s basically a tech Dwarf. Not sure what the difference is between Goblins and Orcs, I just know that they are buth ugly and do not fit my idea of “epic” at all. How would people want to play these if you’re saying that people won’t play Charr and Asura?

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Elves?
No, just no.

It’s bad enough that we have Sylvari…

Teofa Tsavo.9863

A bit off topic, and as I said before, pseudo elves are in already, but…

I get very amused when every suggestion, good or bad, to include something is met with the “Amg GW2 is Original” responses.

Hmm. Dragons are the main Protagonists.

We have Ogres, Trolls, Jotun, Krait(Naga),Wargs, ghosts, Dredge, Griffins, pirates, giant spiders, ooze creatures, undead etc etc etc.

We adventure in dungeons and caves. With Humans, Big Nordic Humans, a large Anthropomorphic beast race, a small, techno race prone to techno mishaps, and a Nature race with pointed ears.

I guess I don’t see the originality in the ingredients. The recipe is different..the treatment is different, but a lot of this is standard fare folks.

Posted by: Psynocide.4965

Psynocide.4965

Wood elf, dark elf, blood elf, night elf, high elf, African-American elf.. Snoooooooore.

My Asura happens to be about as bad kitten as is possible to be at 2 feet tall and I love a Charr.

Norns however are a different matter although the issue is more of an attitude problem, the concept is still sound.

That other Psy guy

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

A bit off topic, and as I said before, pseudo elves are in already, but…

I get very amused when every suggestion, good or bad, to include something is met with the “Amg GW2 is Original” responses.

We have Ogres, Trolls, Jotun, Krait(Naga),Wargs, ghosts, Dredge, Griffins, pirates, giant spiders, ooze creatures, undead etc etc etc.

We adventure in dungeons and caves. With Humans, Big Nordic Humans, a large Anthropomorphic beast race, a small, techno race prone to techno mishaps, and a Nature race with pointed ears.

I guess I don’t see the originality in the ingredients. The recipe is different..the treatment is different, but a lot of this is standard fare folks.

Of course it’s unoriginal when you take the reductionist approach. Reduce any recipe to its parts and it’s a lot of the same. It comes down to how you cook it.

You could go further and say that all races are like humans, cause they are created out of facets of human psychology.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This is defiantly a joke post. I don’t know why you would need to have pointy ear tree hugging humans in the game when we already have non pointy ear tree hugging humans. Unless of course you have an elf fetish or something.

Also. This may blow your mind… but WoW isn’t original either. Warcraft is based off of Warhammer.

and EQ.. and UO.. and fact of the matter is most of the Genre is straight out of Norse mythos, Tolkien, and tabletop DnD.

I love claims of who copied who.

Posted by: Psynocide.4965

Psynocide.4965

Curse me for being pedantic but surely you mean antagonists?

Protagonist dragons would be a nice change however.. I’m rather fond of dragons and get ever so tired of killing them in every game.

and EQ.. and UO.. and fact of the matter is most of the Genre is straight out of Norse mythos, Tolkien, and tabletop DnD.

Don’t forget Greek mythology – harpies for instance.

That other Psy guy

(edited by Psynocide.4965)

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Tropes are still Charr are not Orc like at all. Orcs are dumb brutes that charge into battle with sticks, rocks, and the crudest of things to beat the enemy to a pulp. The Charr, they’re part of a massive war machine; they even create massive war machines. They craft steel and bronze and other metals together to create their style in the world. They have giant metal cities, NOT dirt and stick cities that Orcs live in.

Enter: The Warhammer Ork.

http://www.ifelix.net/gamingblog/wp-content/gargant020708.jpg

“Un da red wuns go fasta cos da boss says so”

Hell, even the vehicles in Black Citadel and some other places just SCREAM Ork.

For me, the races are too similar to the roleplaying game "BattleLords Of The 23rd Century.

Human = Humans.
Norn – Genhumans.
Charr = Cizerack.
Asura = Mutzachan.
Sylvari = Chatilian Empath (aka Broccoli-heads).

This is why I play (almost) all humans. Though 1-Up on Ooze being a playable race.

(edited by GuzziHero.2467)

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

How about we just have humans and in the slider options you have one for ears and you can make pointer?

Screw elves they’re lame.

We’ve got better races, Humans number 1
Charr, cat people for the furries.
Gremlins known as asuras for people who like goblins and tinkerers
Plant people for vegans
Giant shape shifting people for the otherkins.

Seriously, elves :|

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

How about we just have humans and in the slider options you have one for ears and you can make pointer?

Screw elves they’re lame.

We’ve got better races, Humans number 1
Charr, cat people for the furries.
Gremlins known as asuras for people who like goblins and tinkerers
Plant people for vegans
Giant shape shifting people for the otherkins.

Seriously, elves :|

This. I’d like more options in customizing my human. More eye colors, more hair colors, longer slider options for ears.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I realize your joking about this but the Skritt wouldn’t be playable simply do to how their IQ increases or decreases depending on how many of them are in the immediate area .

Inversely to that of humans, too.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

That would be a great incentive for group-play. The more people come together, the more skills we get. Powerful skills like the skrittinizer, shiny-mass-hypnosis, skritt-stampede and last but not least skritt attack formations. Think romans, think the turtle!

Yes, who need elves when you can have skritt, they are actually like dwarves really.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I dont know about 80% but i can tell you that a lot of people who played GW 1 were taught for 7+ years that the Charr are evil and should have been wiped off the face of Tyria 250 years ago . Do to this very correct view i would fathom to guess that a lot of people refuse to play Charr

They’d have to have skipped EotN?

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

UM…

Its right in the manual of the first chapter of GW1 that the Charr are in the right for attacking Ascalon. Its right in there that Ascalon was their homeland.

For 7+ years, we were stuck playing an invasion force trying to slaughter the natives. Now we finally get to be on the good side, but we’ve got this pesky treaty and can’t exact vengeance unless we get lucky and randomly pop into the right fractal.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

That would be a great incentive for group-play. The more people come together, the more skills we get. Powerful skills like the skrittinizer, shiny-mass-hypnosis, skritt-stampede and last but not least skritt attack formations. Think romans, think the turtle!

Yes, who need elves when you can have skritt, they are actually like dwarves really.

I so want to play a Skritt. But… I don’t know how they’d do the stupid when alone thing unless when solo we got a WoW-like action bar (Oh yeah, I went there ), and the buttons got more focused but more useful the more of us ikittenone. :P

Oh and, “Skritt are just copied from EQ2”…
- Not really, but heh…
“Sylvarri are just copied from 1970’s table-top RPG RuneQuest”
- Which called them elves… but made them plant people.
/sigh

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Charr are pretty much ripped straight from the Tauren of WoW. And I’m pretty sure they are one of the more unpopular races in that game. Not sure why a developer would choose to make that a playable race. A better alternative would have been Ogres. Again, you want more people to play your game then give them cool races that they want to be. Who wants to be a cow?

Attachments:

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

You guys claim you like all the races, but how many of you would play as Asura or Charr as your main? I still think that the vast majority of players don’t want to play as these races. More compelling races would have attracted more players to this game. Lots of people like the traditional fantasy races like elves.

My female Charr Warrior may just become my so-called “main” with time (just because my female Human Guardian has so many hours played already). She will be the recipient of the Legendary, is the only character with cultural armor (a mix I enjoy, not just T3), and I love her as a character-in fact, I like her more than I do the Warrior profession itself, if that makes sense. In short, while you are entitled to your views, there is a world of people with differing but equally valid opinions.

Elves are fun to play for me (all sorts, moon, wild, wood, drow, whatever), but they do not belong in the Guild Wars universe. I did not like how they murdered dwarves out of the lore, but it’s OK, as we have so many other interesting, playable and non-playable races.

Attachments:

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

Posted by: legion.7518

legion.7518

Doesn’t surprise me that most of you poo-pooed my post and defended GW2, since most of the crowd here are GW2 fanboys. You guys are really not representative of the mainstream public.

Most of you missed my point anyway. This wasn’t so much a diss of GW2, I was just trying to start a discussion about what makes certain games such a big hit with a mainstream audience. Those are the people you need to reach if you want a blockbuster hit like WoW.

EQ had the beautiful female elf on its box. WoW also had a female elf on its box. That stuff sells. Most of the general public are not as imaginative and nerdy as you folks here, they just want stuff that they know and can easily identify with, like elves and dwarves.

Fantasy MMO developers can go two different routes. They can invent their own stuff (which is usually based on the previous stuff anyway, just with a twist) and gain respect from all the critics and nerds for being “original”. Or they can stick with the popular stuff that the masses already know and love, and maybe have a huge mass audience hit like WoW. GW2 already made its choice in this regard and has to live with it. It will never be a HUGE game like WoW.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Actually, I wouldn’t even want to play a game with elves. I can’t stand them. And I’m not alone.

In fact, mmorpg.com has a column called “No Elves Allowed” about all the things that are traditionally in MMOs that the writer just can’t stand to see any more of. Ever hear the term “played out”?

Fantasy is a very very broad catagory. It’s long past time it’s expanded beyond elves and dwarves. I’m so glad they’re not in this game (and that Anet killed off the dwarven race in Guild Wars 1).

Honestly, I could stomach more elves before I have to deal with anymore undead/zombies. Nothing is more played out at this point than the undead.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

So I guess Eir doesn’t count. I’m trying to dance around what I can say here on the forum … um, ok, let me put it this way … I think Eir is pretty

“What honey? No I never said she looks as good as you! Doghouse? Not again! Honey!”

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Doesn’t surprise me that most of you poo-pooed my post and defended GW2, since most of the crowd here are GW2 fanboys. You guys are really not representative of the mainstream public.

Most of you missed my point anyway. This wasn’t so much a diss of GW2, I was just trying to start a discussion about what makes certain games such a big hit with a mainstream audience. Those are the people you need to reach if you want a blockbuster hit like WoW.

EQ had the beautiful female elf on its box. WoW also had a female elf on its box. That stuff sells. Most of the general public are not as imaginative and nerdy as you folks here, they just want stuff that they know and can easily identify with, like elves and dwarves.

Fantasy MMO developers can go two different routes. They can invent their own stuff (which is usually based on the previous stuff anyway, just with a twist) and gain respect from all the critics and nerds for being “original”. Or they can stick with the popular stuff that the masses already know and love, and maybe have a huge mass audience hit like WoW. GW2 already made its choice in this regard and has to live with it. It will never be a HUGE game like WoW.

Which basically means you were trolling us all the time? Why can’t be people allowed to be themselves and think as individuals? And why must games be “popular like WoW”?

I mean no offense, but your motivation is telling. It’s OK to like popular stuff and WoW, don’t take me wrong, but gaming does not revolve around either. Good day to you-I don’t want to discuss this further, as your mind is set on this issue, and it’s OK to disagree.

Posted by: Wheezy.2846

Wheezy.2846

OP, no. Just no. Like a lot of people are saying, we need some different ideas in fantasy universes. I love that there aren’t elves. I also really like the Asura, I have 2 of them, one is 80, the other somewhere around 60-65. They’re way fun to play. I don’t love the Char to play, but as a race overall, and their lore, etc? They’re amazing. There are 10 games and fantasy universes with elves for every one that they don’t exist in. :P

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

So it was them being elves? Why not them being women? We all know objectifying women sells to males, especially teenage males.

I’d also like to point out that if you think the success of WoW was because of elves you’re highly mistaken. You’re focussing on the surface elements which is exactly what some clone developers do yet it’d be foolish to call them successful.

For every fantasy world with elves that’s successful there’s probably a hundred that weren’t. Fantasy races don’t make a game successful even though the implementation of diversity in a game can help make it successful.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

There is no point reaching those people and becoming a “blockbuster hit like WoW”. Anet doesnt have the need, since the game isnt sub based, so their income isnt based on how many players they have in the same way as Blizz.

With 8000000 subs, Blizz pulls in $120000000/month. They must remain mainstream to keep their cash flow, so they need to add all the silly fluff to saticefy the playerbase. I wouldnt be suprised if they introduce sparkly vampires soon in WoW in a serious non-easter egg kinda way to attract even a younger audience. They’ve already broken the lore on several occassions.

GW2 is popular enough, servers have enough population without them having to add more servers or more hardware, so keep their costs balanced. That means they dont need a silly amount of income generated from the players, except that which we are willing to pay ourselves.

I currently started to play STO (Star Trek Online) again after a 2-3 year hold. The game is now free to play and is filled with people. They’ve gone from the sub version to an optional sub version. You can either pay monthly for gold membership or just use the item shop, which can be fully used without spending one single real life coin on it. They’ve still managed to add content and polish the game.

More and more games have a better success as free games and dont require mainstream WoW numbers to survive, because they fill a role in the MMO genre.

We really dont need elves in this game, since they are already there basically in the form of humans, or in the mythological sense they are there int he shape of sylvari and asura. Adding elves would break the lore.

And if you really want elves, Neverwinter online is around the corner. You can even make your own Foundry content too so you can get all dirty with your elves.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

Concerned OP is very concerned.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

If I cared more, I’d find links to all of the threads on Guru with people complaining before launch that Sylvari were just Elf retreads. There are plenty of people who are tired of elves and want something different.

I’m having a hard time, however, imagining that there is a significant group of people out there eyeing GW2 and thinking, “Gee, I like everything about that game, but I’m not sure it’s worth buying becuase it doesn’t have elves.”

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

To those who say the Sylvari are elves (And I didn’t read out the entire thread) I’d like to point out something I heard the devs said once… HUMANS fill the niche usually taken by elves in a narrative sense.

Loud, old, magical race, once powerful and very loud about it, and currently fading off for the younger races to take the mantle.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

To those who say the Sylvari are elves (And I didn’t read out the entire thread) I’d like to point out something I heard the devs said once… HUMANS fill the niche usually taken by elves in a narrative sense.

Loud, old, magical race, once powerful and very loud about it, and currently fading off for the younger races to take the mantle.

Well they need to come up with some playable races then, because right now we have Norn and Human and the occasional Sylvari who clicked the wrong button during character creation and couldn’t figure out how to go back.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.