The time to say no to a level cap increase?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

If a level cap increase obliterated all the kitten they’ve mucked the game up with, and returned the game to the original design intent, I would be all for it. But they won’t do that.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

There hasn’t been any mention of a level cap increase. Why all the tinfoil hats suddenly?

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

There is no point in making the cap higher.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Raising level cap in GW2 will surely sell a lot of copies….. of GW1 ._.

Posted by: Jinn Kazuma.2163

Jinn Kazuma.2163

But…We just got a level cap increase. Three crafting skills go to 500 now! They filled their level cap quota, time to move on! (We can hope, right?)

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Again, has there been an announcement, or is everyone just b**ing for no reason?

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

It was asked in Eurogamer live stream. From Dulfy’s synopsis -

Q: I got bored with a lot of the content coming out, any plans to raise level caps/expansions? A: Features you would find in an xpac are stuff we can release with Living World teams. Nothing is off the table – xpac, new playable races/level caps etc.

I guess people are trying to ward off level caps, in case.

AntiGw.9367

Oh I see, it’s like saying “bomb” on an airplane.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Rejected unanimously by the GW1 veterans.

No level cap increase would be rejected by GW1 vets? o.O

I’d have said they’d approve of it.

They wouldn’t. Most GW1 veterans will claim that GW2 has 60 levels too many already.

I haven’t heard this from anyone nor think it and im a 7 year vet of GW1 . With that being said i dont want an increase in level cap for GW 2 . I honestly don’t see the point to it and what happens with legenderies and ascended weapons since they are only level 80? New zones can be any level the devs want them to be so its not like the cap has to be raised for that . What about traits adding trait points would likely imbalance things . A lot of issues come with a level cap raise that there’s no need for

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

/No to a Level Increase. More Endgame content instead.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I would mind seeing a different type of level cap increase such as level that do not effect how your hero plays but more on the lines of mf level cap like they added in. I also would not mind seeing a sub level type effect in the game. Where you can have a new class added to your current class but only as 1/2 as effective. Now this would not be high power but more on the lines of getting skills that the sub class can get.

So i am all for high level caps just not stronger buffs.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Looking at Anet’s recent behavior and some statements by the devs, you can almost guarantee the level cap will be raised.

It’s a great way to bypass their statement about having no more tiers of gear past Ascended. Better start preparing to craft your level 90 ascended gear!

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

I already have one foot out the door because of ascended weapons and future armor being included in the game. A level cap increase would free up my guild wars 2 time for other games.

Posted by: veasna.3675

veasna.3675

Absolutely not, I would have to buy new gear for all my characters. Not to mention transmute it all, it would be a nightmare.

DING!DING!DING! Cash flow for ncsoft.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Absolutely not, I would have to buy new gear for all my characters. Not to mention transmute it all, it would be a nightmare.

And this is exactly why they would do it. More people buying things off the gem shop. In case you guys haven’t already figured it out, the game is just one big cash shop. Nothing else.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Level increase with lvl 80 maximum level weapons and armors just to have more skill points: YES

Level increase with lvl 80+ weapon and armors bringing extreme stats bloating: NO

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Say NO to levelcap increase.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

As much as I’d love to have level cap raised to 100 or even unlimited, we still need to get legendary trinkets and runes plus something more than just fine infusions. Until then, I’ll be watching the horizon with the hope that anet doesn’t disappoint us again.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

No thanks. Seriously, NO THANKS. I think the devs feel the same way though or they wouldnt have added ascended stuff and made it time gated. When they add Ascended armor before the year is out, if they up the cap next year or the one after that, I am gone. This is coming from a dude that has been playing this franchise since it came out. Just say: No thanks to level cap increases.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.

Asking not increase the level cap is like asking to stop ascended gear from coming.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

And this is exactly why they would do it. More people buying things off the gem shop. In case you guys haven’t already figured it out, the game is just one big cash shop. Nothing else.

There are limits to how far they can go. They have to find a balance between high prices and keeping people playing, if playing the game becomes too expensive players will just quit. Increasing the level cap wil cause many people to quit.

Making money or not, increasing the level cap is absolutely kittened and will only backfire. Screwing (yes that’s exactly what it is) with your customers is bad for business.

If they just wanted to make money, they would have implemented a monthly fee from the start.

Asking not increase the level cap is like asking to stop ascended gear from coming.

No because ascended gear is already here. A level cap is not, it’s just something they said that might come in the distant future. So there is hope

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: AngelMouse.7345

AngelMouse.7345

No level cap increase…just no.

“Sometimes, in madness resides genius.”

Posted by: lesliejb.3615

lesliejb.3615

Level cap increase = goodbye. I quit Runes of Magic because they kept pushing the cap ever so slightly higher, forever making you work your kitty off for new gear.

Personally, I’d rather see new maps, new story, new dungeons, new races, and new weapon options for existing classes rather than an arbitrary and pointless level cap increase. Part of what made GW1 so amazing for me was how it was always 20; you hit 20, then all of a sudden you have this rich, full, immense and exciting world to explore, where all of a sudden levels mean nothing and player skill means everything. So please Anet, I beg of you, don’t increase the level cap. Not now, not ever.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

As much as I’d love to have level cap raised to 100 or even unlimited, we still need to get legendary trinkets and runes plus something more than just fine infusions. Until then, I’ll be watching the horizon with the hope that anet doesn’t disappoint us again.

Too subtle haviz.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Speak for yourself. I played GW1 from release pretty much and a level cap increase wouldn’t bother me all that much.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

In all my MMORPG experience across almost a dozen games now (as a dabbler in most a and a heavy player in a few), I’ve only seen one time where a post-launch level cap increase didn’t create huge ugly problems.

That one case was a situation where the developers knew in advance that they were only shipping 80% of the planned levels at launch, made that fact clear to the players from day one, and didn’t position any “endgame” content or gear at a position where its relevance would be destroyed later. Then a few months later, when most players had a character or three at the temporary level cap, they dropped that last 20% into place, and nobody got mad at them that they’d spent all that time grinding out 80%-level gear, or that all the 80%-level content was never going to get run again, since it was designed as leveling-up content instead of endgame content in the first place.

That was City of Heroes, and NCSoft assassinated that game for trying to go indy, so don’t count on any more lessons learned there migrating here.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: JuThai.7941

JuThai.7941

As a former GW1 player I really do hope they won’t increase the level cap. I’ve played various MMO’s before but I quit them all due to excessive gear grinding because they constantly increased the level cap. This is what I loved GW1 for. They never increased the level cap – 20 levels, that’s it and I played it for years.
Dear Anet, please introduce a GW2 Hard Mode like the one in GW1 for all maps, dungeons or add more difficult content but please never increase the level cap.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

been playing guild wars 1 since 2005.

i say NO to level cap increase, ever!

Posted by: Napalm.5693

Napalm.5693

What would be nice would be new skills that are capped from quests like in GW1. Kill X monster and get Y skill for some additional skills and bringing back reasons to run particular areas.

BlueZone.4236

No because ascended gear is already here. A level cap is not, it’s just something they said that might come in the distant future. So there is hope

Yes, it depends on how far in the future they intend to do it, but I think it is inevitable there will be an increase.
It is one way of vertical progression. The devs want vertical progression.
They claim it’s “shallow”, but progression will continue.
They’ve said they’ll “explore other options” for vertical progression rather than default to it, but it’s obvious once those options have been finished, a level cap will be raised.

Quite honestly, I’m starting to suspect the newly planned legendaries will be items at the raised level cap.
It’s the only way I can think the devs can make players who already have grinded a legendary to grind more.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

If they raise the level cap that will actually be something i might quit because of. I doubt they will though. Although i doubted they would do most of the things before so…..

Posted by: Napalm.5693

Napalm.5693

Raising the level cap is poor form… There are so many things that need fixing and you can create content that lasts longer then raising the level cap which lets face it people will grind in a weekend. Add an expansion and fix some of the known bugs..

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

This is something I feel strongly about. Regular level cap increases introduce grind, and nothing more. That is not something I would like, and one of the few changes that would make me leave.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Currently, the only reason that I see would be a reason for an increase to level cap would be to expand on the trait system.

Even then, bigger numbers doesn’t mean better content. I personally don’t have a need to see bigger numbers on my screen. I would much rather prefer focus on actual content and mechanics.

With up/down scaling in place, it doesn’t really make a difference what level you are. You will always feel on par with what ever you are doing. A level increase wouldn’t change that.

As far as progression, to do it vertically only bloats the numbers. As you increase in power, so does your enemy. Bam, might as well call that what it is…“power creep”.
Open world content just doesn’t need it.
Raid systems make use of it to keep players playing gated content.

There are others ways to simulate this effect. Ascended has kind of done that with AR.
If you wanted to add to this when or if Raiding appears, you should have two versions.
1. Story mode-so players can see the content with minimal rewards.
2. Non-story with exclusive rewards. New skins (Armor sets/Weapon sets)with additional AR or resist slots. You could even add slots that increase your ability to gather mats with picks/axes/sickles.

From discussions I’ve had about this game, it seems more people want additional skills/weapons/armor skins than anything. Hardly ever do I encounter the “we need more levels” topic.

(edited by Akari Storm.6809)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m in favor of no level cap increase.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Of course there should be a level cap increase.

On mobs.

In a new zone.

Fighting level 90 mobs and 95 veterans? Hell yeah!

Posted by: ManiumX.4735

ManiumX.4735

Oh I see, it’s like saying “bomb” on an airplane.

+1 to you sir!

This thread is utter bullkitten

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Who don’t matter to ANet at all, hence we will get a level increase.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

I hope to see a level cap increase with all current items invalidated just to see how far Anet is willing to go to ruin their game

Posted by: ManiumX.4735

ManiumX.4735

I hope to see a level cap increase with all current items invalidated just to see how far Anet is willing to go to ruin their game

Times like these I wish I could thumbs down posts.

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

Level Cap increase means I’m gone.

Level Cap increase means I’m gone too. Game over!

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

We desperately need better character progression. Getting new backpack every 2 weeks is not my definition of deep progression. I have lots of friend quitted this game because anet couldn’t deliver simple progression. Ascended gear was just a patching of their vast amount of problems which frankly was not handled well enough.

BlueZone.4236

Don’t complain! They haven’t announced anything like this yet!

Don’t complain! They’ve already announced it! You should have complained before hand!

Don’t complain! It’s already in the game! You can’t stop the ball from rolling!

Vayne.8563

Don’t complain! They’ve already announced it! You should have complained before hand!

Or you could say how you feel without actually “complaining”. I did.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Speak for yourself. I played GW1 from release pretty much and a level cap increase wouldn’t bother me all that much.

Rejected almost unanimously by the GW1 veterans.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

BlueZone.4236

You mean like what the OP wrote, and still got this type of response?
Shocking!

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Times like these I wish I could thumbs down posts.

It’s not a matter of thumbing down, it’s a matter of when anet will do it because they already stated they WILL do it.

AntiGw.9367

Shocking!

I don’t know about the op, but everybody else has brought pitchforks and torches. A bit premature perhaps?

Vayne.8563

Shocking!

Yep…but I agree with the OP. lol

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.

Boo! Boooo!

(Sound of tomatoes and empty soda cans hitting Mike O’Brien’s head)

(edited by Draco.2806)