The unlimited sickle is disappointing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Wow, this is super lazy of ANet.

Is it their goal to not take my money?

Is people really only buying this unlimited items for the looks?
I was under the impression that people bought it for the convenience of never having to buy picks/sickles again

Well, to be honest half of the appeal of this game is in the looks. If looks didn’t matter, why would any of us care to progress past the starter gear/weapons?

Secondly, if we are paying real money that we went out and earned, the least ANet could do is put in some effort on their part as well.

To simply recycle things and charge the same amount is not offering a very quality service. If they want to just recycle stuff, then that is fine, but don’t charge me full price for it.

From a completely aesthetic point of view it’s annoying. From a practical point of view, the math still doesn’t make it worth the cost, but put those two things together and there is little to no value for me.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This is the item that I would have gotten if it would be a sickle.

I don’t mind spending money on a videogame and helping ANet out financially, but I do feel a bit let down. First the 8-Bit crafting stations lazily being relabelled “Consortium” and now the sickle that is actually a pick-axe.

This is not fun.

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

Yea im a little dissapointed with that animation aswell.

Molten pick was sweet, but not good enough to copy paste it onto other equiptment. Whats going to happen for the woodaxe? A mining pick that shoots green stuff out of the ground?

EDIT; for good measure heres a few suggestions for a animation (obviously needs a unique sound effect aswell)

1 – makes a puddle when used
2 – Shoots out little green particles, only once
3 – Creates a water bubble that grows over the plant, and would then compress at the end of the animation
4 – lazer beam – think lightsaber

OR

Have a electric device similar to a strimmer < my personal fav.

(edited by Parlourbeatflex.5970)

Posted by: Antares.2586

Antares.2586

Is it confirmed, or is it a hoax ?
I agree, it’s a bit puzzling.

Seems really subpar, regarding the job Anet made on the molten pick.

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I can think of the logging or mining animation right now. I can’t for the life of me think of the harvesting animation. :P

I would mainly just hate the delay for people if it sticks.

(edited by Tamaki Revolution.3548)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It has been no official work at all from ArenaNet about the sickle, so I am assuming it is not ready and was supposed to come with todays patch.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I got it for the convenience- eternal sickle is eternal and I chase after every plant node in Tyria.
I just hope that when they fix it and I am almost sure they will, that mine will be fixed too

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Is it actually ingame yet?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Canis Mesomelas.8125

Canis Mesomelas.8125

Learning what to say comes only when we have learned how to listen.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

It has been no official work at all from ArenaNet about the sickle, so I am assuming it is not ready and was supposed to come with todays patch.

It is already on the gem store.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This unlimited sickle ISN’T COVENIENT in its present state, it takes 2 secs longer to harvest per use…

This bothers me the most about the sickle – this is just lame.

Morrigan.2809

Yes I got it along with the kitten
I missed out on the pick so I grabbed the sickle as soon as I saw it

Gunnar’s Hold

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I spent several seconds trying to work out what it was that you bought before I understand that you’d actually types “kitten”.

How do you like your new sickle?

lordkrall.7241

It is already on the gem store.

I am fully aware of that having bought two of them myself.

But as said earlier in this very thread. It wouldn’t be the first time stuff have sneaked into the store before it was ready, and we have heard nothing from ArenaNet about adding these to the store.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

It looks terrible, but I still bought it

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is just after 4 in the morning at the company HQ, doubt we will hear much for several hours one way or the other.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

To be honest, it looks awful…

Morrigan.2809

I spent several seconds trying to work out what it was that you bought before I understand that you’d actually types “kitten”.

How do you like your new sickle?

hehehe
It is a bit odd to be honest- the icon and the item is a pick as you know
it looks kind of like the sclerite weapons and the animation suggests that is is a pick with the weird bit that looks like bubbling ground.
It also sounds like it hits metal as you know, I’m sure and it is HUGE

but hey it is an everlasting ori sickle- the rate I go through those things, I love it no matter how weird it looks.

I do hope they fix it though- I’m sure they will since it is a gemstore item

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Canis Mesomelas.8125

Canis Mesomelas.8125

Terrible, just terrible. Won’t be getting this until it it is changed to what it is supposed to be.

Hehe, oh man. By the time that happens It’ll most likely be out of the Gem store and you would’ve waited for nothing. BUT HEY…no pressure.

Besides I always thought it was a convenient item. Like never having to buy another tool for your Plant mutilation needs.

ADDED: Outta curiosity what kind of animation what you players here expecting? not meaning to pry or judge ,but I’m rather interested.

I’d love to see the havesting movement – havesting sound – bigger animation

Learning what to say comes only when we have learned how to listen.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

This is the item that I would have gotten if it would be a sickle.

I don’t mind spending money on a videogame and helping ANet out financially, but I do feel a bit let down. First the 8-Bit crafting stations lazily being relabelled “Consortium” and now the sickle that is actually a pick-axe.

This is not fun.

I wasn’t sure if I was the only one who thought the new crafting station was a skin from the SAB.. Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought this.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Eheh, ANet nerds. They’ve probably never been in a garden at all.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

The animation has got to be a bug, but on the positive side, if a plant has more than one use on it due to banners or WvW buffs, your Consortium sickle automatically harvests up to 3 times in a row, rather than having to hit F all 3 times.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Wow, completely reused the molten mining pick animation, clinking sound, and just reskinned the lava font to a water font with a generic water flow sound. That is one of the laziest things I’ve ever seen from Anet. That is like, big time disappointing.

This is what happens when you force devs to shovel kitten content that no one really wants instead of giving them time to make something nice. How did this get through QA?

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

I agree, it looks kinda lame.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

My concern was unlike the pick, which said it worked on the highest metals, and the mouse over now that I own it says ‘all metals’, this one specifically says ‘ori’. This gives them the ability to make an expansion or other content that introduces new types of materials and ‘oh, by the way, this is better than ori…sorry about your pick’.

I do still like my other pick, since it says ‘all’, and I’ll hold them to it, though I suppose that may end up being just as moot as if they hadn’t have said all (well clearly we meant all at the time, not new stuff).

Besides, with little cats and lions and bears, I’m broke.

lordkrall.7241

My concern was unlike the pick, which said it worked on the highest metals, and the mouse over now that I own it says ‘all metals’, this one specifically says ‘ori’. This gives them the ability to make an expansion or other content that introduces new types of materials and ‘oh, by the way, this is better than ori…sorry about your pick’.

That was however the exact same thing with the Pick.
In store it said same as Ori, but when bought is says all metals. This one says Harvest all plants when bought.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s used like a pick… because your character doesn’t care about gently gathering the plant anymore. It’s not like the sickle can break.

It sounds like a pick because you’re thrusting it into the ground, hitting rocks along the way. You thrust that thing so hard you hit tap an underground stream. Hoe those plants.

I assume they’ll change the animation eventually. It could even be an error, but it has been in the files for a while now, so they probably know exactly what it does. It was probably simply a quick copy and paste job, which comes to the question, why rush_ it? They’re either testing feedback to see what they can get away with or they were ordered to release what they had.

The lack of an animation won’t really stop people from buying it. Most people who buy it will probably do so without reading these threads.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: QuartzMoped.2370

QuartzMoped.2370

This new crew that took over the game after launch is a pale shadow of the developers who made it. What a joke this is and yet people are still going to buy it for “the convenience” Wishy washy consumers fuel a company’s laziness.

Bad reskin. Barely any effort. I wouldn’t give these guys another dime until they take some steps to get back to the Manifesto. I’ll hold my breath until ‘Wildstar’ comes out.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

They did it because it took 5mins and they want monies. They can just say sorry and fix it down the line

Posted by: lastmohican.8365

lastmohican.8365

Since the Molten mining pick, I wanted to have the 3 unlimited harvesting Tools with a cool icon and animation, but this one :-/

I hope they will do something ! and a nice one for the wood, later

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Eheh, ANet nerds. They’ve probably never been in a garden at all.

Hah! I believe it. Or on any kind of farm with livestock. Catching bugs – bugs! – to feed to cows… stinky cows… moo.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Yeah the molten mining pick was beautiful in alot of ways, but this… it looks like they saw the success of it and thought… how can we gain the same amount of profit with minimal work? , careless things like this anet is like inviting the mobs with pitchforks to your house……

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

For 10 bucks…this is kitten poor. Please don’t buy gems to support this kind of behavior. Buying it will only ensure things like this (and probably worse) will happen again.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’ll be broke, but I’m going to probably buy it. I hate switching and buying tools. I do hope they give it the kneel animation.

lordkrall.7241

For 10 bucks…this is kitten poor. Please don’t buy gems to support this kind of behavior. Buying it will only ensure things like this (and probably worse) will happen again.

Lets wait until we get actual confirmation from ArenaNet that this is working as intended shall we?
They have after all always posted about new stuff added to the gem store before, but in this case they haven’t. So it is likely that it got added to the store earlier than intended, just like the Custom Arena-things a couple of months ago.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

It’s used like a pick… because

It sounds like a pick because

It was…simply a quick copy and paste job

There ya go.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

its like..
suddenly, ncsoft need a pocket money..
anet. " ok boss we’ll get working on it"
20 minutes after.. here’s the new pic… i mean.. sickle =)

Essence Snow.3194

Lets wait until we get actual confirmation from ArenaNet that this is working as intended shall we?
They have after all always posted about new stuff added to the gem store before, but in this case they haven’t. So it is likely that it got added to the store earlier than intended, just like the Custom Arena-things a couple of months ago.

Wouldn’t that imply basically zero testing?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Here ANet, here is some creative thought.

Rather than making the sickle just like a re-skinned pick axe, make it a scythe to start off with. The animation is that the player pulls off a fancy maneuver that ultimately cuts the plant allowing you to loot it. Even keep the water part of the animation.

When you come out with the axe, it should be a chainsaw (complete with sound) and you perform a back and forth swinging action that removes sections of the tree piece by piece. These trunk sections fly out in the same direction of the swing and land just right to form two neat little piles of logs.

lordkrall.7241

Or simply an error when adding the new mini to the store. It is fully possible that the Sickle was added to the store in the test-environment in order to make sure that it worked as intended but they didn’t bother to add the new sound/effect/graphic to it yet. And then that test-version somehow manage to get into the same build as the mini kitten and therefore added to live before getting the sound/effect/graphic update.

They are human after all, it is fully possible that they make mistake, just as that time when they added the custom server items to the store, or the removal of PvE culling into the release preview.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Or someone uploaded the wrong file, or misunderstood something. That doesn’t necessarily mean zero testing. Stuff like this happens all the time.

The more people involved in the creation of something, the more room for crossed wires and miscommunication.

dronzer.8392

Or someone uploaded the wrong file, or misunderstood something. That doesn’t necessarily mean zero testing. Stuff like this happens all the time.

The more people involved in the creation of something, the more room for crossed wires and miscommunication.

Doubtful, with the hierarchy they cannot be that careless and it doesn’t matter how many people are involved, there is always the lead artists that oversee this and they usually have to approve the work before it gets passed down the department, this is just a quick dirty fast money making thing.

Shame, the actual design of the skin though isn’t bad…

lordkrall.7241

Doubtful, with the hierarchy they cannot be that careless and it doesn’t matter how many people are involved, there is always the lead artists that oversee this and they usually have to approve the work before it gets passed down the department, this is just a quick dirty fast money making thing.

So.. where is the official announcement of this Sickle added to the Gem-store? Until that announcement comes we should all assume that it was added by mistake.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it was not added to the large central advertisement window in the middle of the store, while the Pick was as soon as it was added, which would also point towards it being added by mistake.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not saying that isn’t the case, I’m replying directly to the post I quoted, which said that if this got by by mistake it means zero testing. I don’t believe that’s the case at all.

Essence Snow.3194

I’m willing to wager that they are working as intended and if testing anything…..they are testing how far they can get with minimal investment. Yes I know, that’s very skeptical of me, but I have already been fooled once by them and I’ll try my best to not let that happen again.

Hopefully if enough players speak up they will change it, but I highly doubt they will by their own volition.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Meh, doesn’t bother me in the slightest to be honest. I’m used to my normal sickle using the mining pick animation (and the mining pick skin at times), same with the ax. It’ll get adjusted in time, until then, well, patience is a virtue. They have better things to implement/fix.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

dronzer.8392

I’m willing to wager that they are working as intended and if testing anything…..they are testing how far they can get with minimal investment. Yes I know, that’s very skeptical of me, but I have already been fooled once by them and I’ll try my best to not let that happen again.

Hopefully if enough players speak up they will change it, but I highly doubt they will by their own volition.

I kind agree with this – seeing what they can get away with, but as lordkrall said earlier It would very well be a mistake.

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

…and you’re buying it for the looks? I am pretty sure most are buying it for it’s uses, not the way it looks. Think you guys been “spoiled” by Anet having 1 cool animation so you expect another one. Buy it to use and stop complaining.

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

…and you’re buying it for the looks? I am pretty sure most are buying it for it’s uses, not the way it looks. Think you guys been “spoiled” by Anet having 1 cool animation so you expect another one. Buy it to use and stop complaining.

800 gems is a lot. For that much I would like for there to be a cool animation.

Posted by: Caber.5982

Caber.5982

The sickle animation is obviously a bug. When you use it, the model for the sickle is floating above your hands. See my attachment.

Attachments: