They made an NPC based on Caitlyn Jenner!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aid_Worker_Sya

She used to be known as Symon, and was originally a guy.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

ew……cant they keep that stuff in crazytown hollywood ?

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Possibly, but it’s not the first transgendered celebrity, just the most recent spotlighted. Thankfully it’s not shoved down the player’s throats, and they exist within the game as a part of the world, instead of being highlighted as special because of their choice to embrace their identity. Otherwise comes off as pandering or the message would come off as obnoxious, like a parent lecturing you.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: havensrayne.7516

havensrayne.7516

Quite possibly because it’s not only Hollywood stars that get a sex change. It’s amazing how many people are bothered by the LGBT community. They’re not trying to convert you or bring their lifestyle in your front door. They don’t have an issue with your way of life, why do you have issue with theirs? Get over yourself and play the game.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Quite possibly because it’s not only Hollywood stars that get a sex change. It’s amazing how many people are bothered by the LGBT community. They’re not trying to convert you or bring their lifestyle in your front door. They don’t have an issue with your way of life, why do you have issue with theirs? Get over yourself and play the game.

very well said !!!

Acidicore.3264

very well said !!!

For me, I’d rather have it all be a part of the world, but people like to put events such as these on pedestals. Some backlash comes from the apathetic side of such. Like, yes, they are happy for them, but don’t need every bit of news you watch to cover it. At first, it’s championing, then it becomes almost worship after awhile. It should be a natural state for someone wanting to be gay or transgendered and making the decision, but as soon as someone does, spotlights everywhere. Not saying they aren’t brave or shouldn’t be proud, just…don’t treat people like children by clapping profusely for life choices. Let everyone be, be happy, and keep trudging on.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

Possibly, but it’s not the first transgendered celebrity, just the most recent spotlighted. Thankfully it’s not shoved down the player’s throats, and they exist within the game as a part of the world, instead of being highlighted as special because of their choice to embrace their identity. Otherwise comes off as pandering or the message would come off as obnoxious, like a parent lecturing you.

like marjory and kass? i hate them sooooooo much

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I think it’s cool. I like the ‘new’ Sya.

Posted by: Peacock.6412

Peacock.6412

conformity and unity are essential for the proper functioning of a nation and by being public with any form of deviant behavior we weaken a nation

Absolutely incorrect. If this were the case how many of humanity’s advances would have taken place? How much art would never have been created?

Imagine if Mozart had been a conformist? How much musical advancement would have been lost? That’s just one, easy example right there… There are many, many others.

There’s a reason there’s a saying about genius being so close to madness…

Unashamedly Qoo Qoo for Quaggans!

Posted by: Supreme.7352

Supreme.7352

Well if we can make total makeover kits, I don’t see why NPCs can’t.

Not that I really see any reason for this but w/e.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I legitimately don’t understand why this is a big deal to anyone.

Why are there reddit threads and multiple threads on the official forums about this of all things considering all of the eventful changes that have taken place lately? :/

It’s just an NPC guys. There’s no reason to be grossed out by it nor is there a reason to rejoice over it.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

very well said !!!

For me, I’d rather have it all be a part of the world, but people like to put events such as these on pedestals. Some backlash comes from the apathetic side of such. Like, yes, they are happy for them, but don’t need every bit of news you watch to cover it. At first, it’s championing, then it becomes almost worship after awhile. It should be a natural state for someone wanting to be gay or transgendered and making the decision, but as soon as someone does, spotlights everywhere. Not saying they aren’t brave or shouldn’t be proud, just…don’t treat people like children by clapping profusely for life choices. Let everyone be, be happy, and keep trudging on.

But in this day and age, everyone wants attention and to broadcast their business to the internet. Can’t fault people for doing so if it’s not something you want to hear about. If you can, fault the culture for condoning such reverse-privacy (can’t think of a proper word atm).

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I legitimately don’t understand why this is a big deal to anyone.

Why are there reddit threads and multiple threads on the official forums about this of all things considering all of the eventful changes that have taken place lately? :/

It’s just an NPC guys. There’s no reason to be grossed out by it nor is there a reason to rejoice over it.

I wasn’t rejoicing nor am I grossed out by the NPC. I just enjoy seeing video games relate to popular culture. All I did was point it out.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Acidicore.3264

very well said !!!

But in this day and age, everyone wants attention and to broadcast their business to the internet. Can’t fault people for doing so if it’s not something you want to hear about. If you can, fault the culture for condoning such reverse-privacy (can’t think of a proper word atm).

Oh I do. And you’d be surprised how often I have a conversation with someone who’s transgendered is annoyed by the pandering. Everyone wants to just…be. My friend who is a transwoman getting married latter this year is sick and tired of the unnecessary attention and congratulatory shenanigans. It makes her transition a spectacle, rather than a decision, to the point she hides it because she doesn’t want it.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

very well said !!!

Oh I do. And you’d be surprised how often I have a conversation with someone who’s transgendered is annoyed by the pandering. Everyone wants to just…be. My friend who is a transwoman getting married latter this year is sick and tired of the unnecessary attention and congratulatory shenanigans. It makes her transition a spectacle, rather than a decision, to the point she hides it because she doesn’t want it.

Lol fyi, i didn’t mean to aim my comment at anyone. It was more a general statement. Stuff like this (and a lot of the hot topic issues on the web) seem to amount to “look at this insignificant issue!” “shut up! It’s no big deal but ill make a big deal of you making a big deal of it”.

It’s why tv almost completely disgusts me and the internet is only a pr-0n dispenser to me.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

“Good news everyone! I’ve perfected a plague that will wipe out all life in Tyria!” And that plague’s name was special snowflake syndrome, and it did infect the minds of the young far and wide such that all did sing unending praise of themselves from the rooftops. Completely unable to settle for anything resembling normality, or even accepting one another’s differences as just another facet of mother nature, the citizens of Tyria paraded themselves in front of all and sundry yelling “look at me! Loook at meee! I’m special! You must pay attention to me!”. Meanwhile, moderate and sensible voices who were themselves as unique and special as the megaphones announcing their morale superiority sighed, as society collapsed beneath the vast and incalculable weight of its own narcissism.

But by all means, let’s have more token characters to show off and more importantly, talk about to prove that we are at worst as Louis CK would say, “only mildly racist”.

(edited by nosleepdemon.1368)