Thinking back to "xpac worth of content"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: raiden.9024

raiden.9024

I was looking up eye of the north release date as I couldn’t remember it. He’s what it came with

The expansion introduces:
41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces
100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)
50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills
10 new heroes
18 Dungeons
124 new quests
The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.
Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.
More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

Now that’s a lot of features, I had forgotten it added so many skins.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

So what is your point listing the features of EotN? Just wondering, so some discussion can start.

raiden.9024

So what is your point listing the features of EotN? Just wondering, so some discussion can start.

We’ll it is guild wars it was an expansion, ppl we’re comparing to WoW expansions, as I was looking for the release date I seen the feature list, why with a bigger team and budget couldn’t that claim lived up to its title?

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

It’s pretty clear, his point is that saying you have or will release an expansion worth of content is really a lot more content than you might think. This would be the downside to not just releasing an expansion, as we don’t have nearly as many features to date.

Of course free is free

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s been talked about over and over. I don’t think there is one person at this point that would agree that Anet lived up to their hype of “an expansions worth of content” that they were spewing a year ago.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

One should keep in mind that several of those armor sets were more or less slight reworks of already existing armors (which is apparently on par with the seven deadly sins on these forums) and that quite a few of the skills were also variants of already existing skills.

The whole “Actions have more consequences” isn’t really true either as far as I remember. You always had a rather set path with rather set NPCs with you.

Not saying it wasn’t good, but people do seem to ignore quite a bit of stuff when comparing.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Fernling.1729

One should keep in mind that several of those armor sets were more or less slight reworks of already existing armors .

Which is already true for a large amount of the armor we have received since launch in GW2.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I’d rather pay and actually get a real expansion.

lordkrall.7241

Which is already true for a large amount of the armor we have received since launch in GW2.

Of course. I am just pointing out that people don’t seem to have an issue with it happening in GW1 but here it is apparently the worst thing ever.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

One should keep in mind that several of those armor sets were more or less slight reworks of already existing armors .

Some of which were even sold for real money.

lordkrall.7241

And technically all of them were in GW1 seeing as you had to pay for the expansion

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

And technically all of them were in GW1 seeing as you had to pay for the expansion

Your shield arm must be getting tired. Your defence for them is getting weaker.

Fernling.1729

Nobody has a stronger arm than Lordkrall. Well, maybe Karizee and Vayne.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Your sword must be very dull your attks are all the same and boring. Just had to keep on the same line of logic because this argument was used about a year ago and got nowhere. LS come out every 2 weeks and they are coming out with more then just what is in the patch notes there a lot of things that are added that you need to play the content to see. Just in the newest LS update we got a new set of means of getting drops from killing mobs we got new mechanic for fights and indicadores we got a lot more story that all voice active. That may not seem like an “xpac” worth but it means that there a lot more to be done and the amount added to comply changes the feel of the game from these events alone is on the level of playing a new game. On top of that there another one in about 2 weeks (well 1 week and a few days from this post).

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

raiden.9024

Didn’t even know some GW 1 devs left 2bh, but would explain the buzz words but not backing them up

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

Biggest thing for me isn’t so much which gives more its which gives more Permanent content.

#ELEtism

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Biggest thing for me isn’t so much which gives more its which gives more Permanent content.

I agree. Looking back on the past 6 months… there’s so much content that was just thrown away. Imagine how much we would have, right now, if all of that dev time was spent on PERMANENT content? Holy crap…

The living story, at least it being removed after the 2 weeks that it is in the game, is easily my least favorite part of GW2.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Guys, calm down. 3 Months left. 3 final months for ANet to make their statement: we’re keeping the ramainder of the playerbase or letting them go to the incoming MMOs.

Patience is a virtue.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

Guys, calm down. 3 Months left. 3 final months for ANet to make their statement: we’re keeping the ramainder of the playerbase or letting them go to the incoming MMOs.

Patience is a virtue.

patience my kitten , I’ve already commited myself to wildstar. i won’t leave guildwars2 but if all I have to look forward to is 2 weeks of content I can play through that in a few hours and have 2 weeks to play another MMO full time.

#ELEtism

(edited by Chaotic Storm.2815)

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Thanks for that. This had me laughing for a bit. Very nice.

Not even remotely expansion level though. EoTN had a lot of story to it. It was engaging. I actually cared about the happenings. I couldn’t care less about Scarlet and whatever nonsense she is doing. Sure, they are pumping more story into it now but it’s too late for that.

The content is mediocre at best and its backed by ‘popup’ exposition. Characters and stories are introduced as needed. They don’t feel natural. They’re just sort of forced in there. Like when a friend who is horrible at telling stories has to keep saying, “Oh yeah I forgot to also mention X,Y,Z happened.”

With an expansion I would hope they can sit down and actually do it right by GW2. It was done well in EoTN…just do it that way.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

You must consider that EotN was PvE only expansion, no PvP features were added. Lot’s of art were simply re-used or recycled. Personally i consider EotN to be the worst expansion for GW and basically the death of original GW. However, it is true, that, so far, content released for GW2 can’t compare in quantity and quality to GW1 style expansions.

raiden.9024

Patience is a virtue.

patience my kitten , I’ve already commited myself to wildstar. i won’t leave guildwars2 but if all I have to look forward to is 2 weeks of content I can play through that in a few hours and have 2 weeks to play another MMO full time.

Wouldn’t put much into Wildstar look who funds it.

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Overzealous mod defending his colleague hit again. I’ll rephrase:

It’s been talked about over and over. I don’t think there is one person at this point that would agree that Anet lived up to their hype of “an expansions worth of content” that they were spewing a year ago.

Lol, I was going to say that “lordkrall or Vayne sure as hell would.” Then I rolled down… (Had to cut my lovely description of the white knight defending the fair maiden.)

One should keep in mind that several of those armor sets were more or less slight reworks of already existing armors (which is apparently on par with the seven deadly sins on these forums)

Of course. I am just pointing out that people don’t seem to have an issue with it happening in GW1 but here it is apparently the worst thing ever.

Except that in GW1 the vast majority of the armors looked epic/unique/beautiful/awesome. Here it’s the very same template for most (at least for light and medium… guess they want people to choose warriors and guardians with the greater variety in heavy… less “balancing” to do, then). That template being – most of the time: ugly buttcapes, trenchcoats, and tails. Or just take a look at the ascended (with the exception of medium): fugly as hell, so they can increase their blasted Transmutation Splitter and/or Crystal purchases.

Edit: in other words, reskin doesn’t help much when the original is bad, and then have the guts to sell them for real money. In Guild Wars 1 both the original and the reskin were stellar, and we could buy them for in-game currency.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

An “xpac worth of content” was one of the phrases used to market the one month, then two week, DLC value proposition. Hey, look, we’re giving you free content every two weeks, you should be impressed, feel rewarded, and believe that you made a good decision when you bought GW2.

Of course, a development cycle that short can not produce anything beyond burnout in both developer and customer. Their taking a break from it could mean they will produce something of value. They have, after all, demonstrated that they have the potential to make a great game. Their challenge is in the critical thinking and reality-testing skills to manage it over time.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Oh look people complaining and arguing on the internet. Well let’s hope something comes of this, something more important than some catharsis.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Oh look people complaining and arguing on the internet. Well let’s hope something comes of this, something more important than some catharsis.

Oh, look, people discussing the game on the FORUMS.

n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr??, f?r??)
a. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
b. A public meeting place for open discussion.
c. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: sanguin.8573

sanguin.8573

Patience is a virtue.

3 months for what?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Living Story is more comparable to DLC than a Expansion pack, a small DLC.

Posted by: Clyan.1593

Clyan.1593

The LS is a nice idea, and i’d like them to keep it up. But for now i really think it’s about time to open new maps, giving us a new dragon and a new big adventure. There’s still so much potential in the world of GW2 – what a waste if they don’t expand the current content with more than just skills, events, items and a few conversations!
However, i really feel like ANet is going to give us some of the mentioned above. Mordremoth in my opinion is quite for sure. So it’s very likely he comes with maguuma wastes, maybe another pale tree and a story about Malyck, eventually even with Tengus. I’d appreciate that.
If only underworld and fissure of woe could find their way into the game too…

“Bagh Nakh! Bagh Nakh!”
– Dark Lord of Moshpoipoi

raiden.9024

I also wanted to know, Crystal Desert wasn’t finished in time for launch so it was removed to be added soon after launch over 1 year later not even a whisper of it being put BACK in ? in GW1 for example I loved that place it was a test of how well u can play like THK was before the nerf and the monk strike :P

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

LS stands for Lousy Stuff.
Did we get an expansion worth of content? Sure, Back in the 90s there were expasions to games that had that little content. People being foolish enough to think an expansion would mean the size of let’s say Rise of the Godslayer, Mines of Moria, Wrath of the Lichking, or any other AAA MMO title expansion were just out of their minds.

An expansion worth of content – this was actually talking about the additions to the gem store. ANet put more new items in the store than other MMOs would do for an expansion.

True story is true.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

raiden.9024

Rise of the godslayer? Where is that from?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I haven’t read the thread in it’s entirety – but I just want to point out that “an expansion pack worth of content” was a term that the dev’s were pretty much made to use by marketing. One of the dev’s already said that looking back it’s not the term they would have liked to use.

They have confirmed that they are working on an ACTUAL expansion for GW2 (although they aren’t sure in what format they will deliver it yet). So people just learn to calm down >.>

raiden.9024

We’ll they better not ask for money for this xpac, not with a cash shop and the state of the game. They are already double dipping with box sales and a cash shop IMO. But where did they say they are working on a xpac last I read they not looking at xpacs.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

We’ll they better not ask for money for this xpac, not with a cash shop and the state of the game. They are already double dipping with box sales and a cash shop IMO. But where did they say they are working on a xpac last I read they not looking at xpacs.

How is that double dipping.
The cash shop is filled entirely with optional, mostly cosmetic, items.
You can play the game without ever touching the cash shop, that’s not greedy at all.

I personally hope they do charge for the expansion. This is a company, companies need money to function. They have to be able to pay their staff and thye need money to produce more content. They aren’t exactly rolling int it, they don’t charge a sub and box sales are a flat form of income. The gem store isn’t going to be generating them anywhere near the amount of profit that a subscription fee would so they’re surviving on a trickle. We are getting a lot of really amazing content for a flat box fee, so kudo’s to them for that. But we’ve already seen how this works with GW1 and paid expansions are not a big issue. If you don’t want it, don’t buy it – same as anything else in the cash shop.

Posted by: JerekLo.5893

JerekLo.5893

I don’t know if Eotn is a good example, it was going to be an entire campaign instead of an expansion at first. Then it was parted into an expansion once the GW2 ball started rolling. People tend to forget the dungeons shared a lot of resources between them, re-skinned armors, etc. it was a fun game but learning it’s origin in retrospect kind of explains a lot of the decisions behind it. I don’t think the people on this forum today would be happy with an expansion like Eotn. That’s just my observation.

It was also kind of a capper on the GW1 storyline as well. It had several years of happy, fuzzy memories behind it as a send off. Much like the bonus mission packs and the Guild Wars Beyond content that followed. They didn’t need to build on the world like GW2 needs to be built on.

I’m not saying the LS has been perfect either, but both fall into an odd category of “reworked content.” The LS is a weird experimental concept starting to get its legs under itself and Eotn was an attempt to bridge 250 years of lore with content from a cancelled game. I enjoyed both, but I knew one was the end of something and the other I hope is the start of something larger in the making.

Jerek Lo | Singh | Slagg Blackclaw | Wilhelm von Wilhelm | Viscerious
Sorrow’s Furnace
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

raiden.9024

Gw1 didn’t have a cash shop too late in its life even then things were account bound and unlimited uses the only xpac gw1 had was only 15£ also.

Cash shop offering unique skins in a game about cosmetics or hidden In rng boxes and the crystals to use them at 80, they make more cash of this “fluff” as ppl want to be unique why not add them skins as a Rare drop as well as cash shop same with pets if they are making the money off the box sales alone. Heck /tinfoil hat in beta and launch by bags were full of dye, now never see one.

It’s double dipping because of the box price, it’s fine for f2p games to have cash shops as you paid nothing in the first place.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Half a year ago I would have still given my money to ANet even for a mediocre expansion with some new regions to explore – in a heartbeat.

But now, there is too much other stuff coming and I am in the mood for something new to explore, something like a new world.
ANet tried hard to force me in the old zones for their temporary content to really get tired of them.

The grass is always greener on the other side. But hey, the gras over here is pretty stomped and ruined by the stampede (the zerg) running around.

So maybe I will just get a new game with a game worth of content and skip the expansion worth of content thingy…

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Thank you so much for this thread. Maybe now the people who actually believe LS delivers just as much (or more) content as an expansion wake up.

An expansion is many times better than every LS patch combined and I’m absolutely baffled Anet chose LS over an actual expansion.

Patience is a virtue.

3 months for what?

3 more month until the Scarlet LS story arc is over. Then we will see wether Arenanet has learned and will finally do the right thing or stay on the same path. That moment will either be GW2’s salvation or destruction.

A bit dramatic maybe, but I really believe LS is leading this game to ruin. It desperately needs an expansion imho.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Gw1 didn’t have a cash shop too late in its life even then things were account bound and unlimited uses the only xpac gw1 had was only 15£ also.

Cash shop offering unique skins in a game about cosmetics or hidden In rng boxes and the crystals to use them at 80, they make more cash of this “fluff” as ppl want to be unique why not add them skins as a Rare drop as well as cash shop same with pets if they are making the money off the box sales alone. Heck /tinfoil hat in beta and launch by bags were full of dye, now never see one.

It’s double dipping because of the box price, it’s fine for f2p games to have cash shops as you paid nothing in the first place.

Pretty sure GW1 had a store earlier than ‘late in its life’. Unless, early in the second year is ‘late in its life’.

The Guild Wars In-Game Store (formerly called “The Guild Wars Official Store”), introduced in the July 28 2006 game update.

Having an in-game store has been with the Guild Wars franchise almost since inception.

raiden.9024

Last major content was 2007 (eotn)so yes late in its life.

Fernling.1729

Pretty sure GW1 had a store earlier than ‘late in its life’. Unless, early in the second year is ‘late in its life’.

The Guild Wars In-Game Store (formerly called “The Guild Wars Official Store”), introduced in the July 28 2006 game update.

Having an in-game store has been with the Guild Wars franchise almost since inception.

They added the cash shop not long before they stopped updating it. Resources moved to GW2 and the newly added cash shop helped to make sure there wouldn’t be a problem with funds.

lordkrall.7241

They added the cash shop not long before they stopped updating it. Resources moved to GW2 and the newly added cash shop helped to make sure there wouldn’t be a problem with funds.

Hm?
Several of the biggest updates for GW1 (not counting new campaigns/expansion) were released long after the cash shop was released.
The cash shop was released in 2006 the FIRST part of GW: Beyond was released in-game in 2010, and I don’t know about you, but several YEARS is not something I consider “not long before” especially not since that is basically half the time the game has been live.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Perhaps I am not remembering accurately but I seem to recall buying character slots back before Factions came out. Is that not considered part of a cash shop ?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think the living story actually delivers a lot of content. Most mmorpg delivers patch every 4-6 month. I would think 8-12 living story is equate to content patch of most other mmorpg.

The problem is living story is temporary. I take a break from GW2 for a few month. Came back expecting an “expansion worth of content”, when all there is are 2 raid boss.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I hope that “expansion” and “Living Story” aren’t mutually exclusive. I would like to have both. But if I had to choose one I would prefer a real expansion. While a story arc is a good idea in theory and Arenanet gets better in story telling, the restricted time for content irks me more and more. And I prefer new maps with nice world bosses instead of filling old maps with them. So much unknown space in the current world map…

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I have a feeling temporary content makes people oblivious to permanent content. In gw2 listing just the permanent content we got

12 fractals
2 mini dungeon
4x jumping puzzle
7x armor sets
2 new condition
4 new pvp map
1 new zone
1 new town
7x weapon sets
some pieces of armor skins but not whole sets
some weapon skins but not whole sets
7 new enemies
20 new crafting materials
481 new crafting recipes
1 new faction
7 new mini game
3x world events (skritt thief, modus etc..)
3x new runes / sigils
4 new currency
1 new WvW event
2x New achievements revamp
3 zone revamps
6x types of guild missions
18 – Bounties
180 – treks
8 – rushes
6 – challenges
3 – puzzles
1 revamped dungeon
WvW progression
Leaderboards
Custom Arenas
Tournaments
WvW Traps
2 new world boss
many new dynamic events (new permanent events introduced during halloween 2012, secrets of southsun, tower of nightmares)
Wallet system
9 new skills
Magic find revamp
1 revamped boss fight
1 new dungeon path
ton of new minis
many new dyes
some finishers
some new tonics
a lot of new characters. Canach, evon, ellen, magnus, Noll,Blingg,kasmer, Marjory, rox, Marcello, what-ever-tron, etc.. a ton of support characters, refugees, cragstead inhabitants etc..

And this is just the permanent stuff we got, pretty sure I missed some stuff but even this alone seems more content than EOTN had. If you add in all the temporary content we got as well that is still content we got to play and enjoy I dont know how anyone can really say they didnt live up to the expansion worth of content statement. That would add like 5 new dungeons, quite a few story instances, 1 new zone, a whole extra game (SAB) , a ton of new mini games, 1 new map etc..

We had a lot of temporary content sure but its not like we didnt get anything thats permanent, in the past year and 1/2 we were literally showered with content and there was also something new to play right around the corner I feel its really unfair to claim they gave us no were near an expansion worth of content. Sure they didnt give us some of the stuff you’d expect in an expansion like a good number of new zones / professions / skills … but content, we really had a lot of that!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

^ ya I get the we get the we get a lot of permanent content part.

But just think how much content is temporary. Which is much much more.

I actually really like the living story. So when I went away for a few month, I felt kind of sad I missed all those LS.

Ya and alot of the problem is those content are just add on to what is already there. I think the SAB developer said himself he loss a bunch of players the second round. That’s why I like to do the living story I missed which can only be done once.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I logged in the other day after most of a year away from the game. You know what there was new to do? Some dailies, and something to do with Scarlet.

All that content you made all year is no longer accessible. So the game is essentially just as I left it. I think there’s a few new fractals. And an Ascended grind.

A year and a half into Guild Wars there was a new dungeon (Sorrow’s Furnace) and two new xpacs.

A year and a half into GW2, you might have released “an xpac’s worth of content”, but I can’t play any of it.

There’s about an hour’s worth of content, after you’ve had almost a year, new for me to do.

WTF? Why should I come back next year?

Kaiyanwan.8521

Which permanent zone did we get since January when we were told to get a whole experience worth of content? Most fractals have been in game since November.

We got some content before January, but hey, we are talking about the amount of permanent content added since afterwards.
You know, solid content, not fluff. Like new zones, new classes or races. new game mechanics or instances. How much of this did we get in the three monthes (originally meant to be split up in two monthes). And afterwards.

Some new fractals, TA path (replacing content actually), Tequatl update (downgrade ^^), now the worms. In over a year. Did I miss something of value?