This game used to be so fun..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

What are you babbling all in this forum?

I babbling all nothing in this forum.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Gw2 used to be my favourite game. I used to spend thousands of hours on it, wondering how a game could be so good. I was thinking the ‘casual mmo’ idealogy was probably the reason. I could slowly spend my time enjoying this game, without fearing i would miss out on anything important if i didnt play.

Which was also why i was so hyped for the expansion. I had great hopes for hot. ‘If anet was so brilliant at creating the core game, the expansion would definitely be better.’ Was what i thought. Im a very skeptical person when it comes to buying games (college student supporting himself, not much to spare), but i instantly shelled out 100 USD after first bwe.

Then the expansion hit. Everything changed. For the worse. Even remnants of the word ‘casual’ were non-existent in hot content. Everything is a rush. Everything is gated. Everything is extremely expensive. Rewards were all over the place. Balance too. Anet tried too hard to go ‘esports’ without fixing the fundementals of spvp. Everything is just so much of a mess now it’s tiring and exhausting.

It’s no longer fun playing the game. It’s like they abandoned the whole idea of what makes gw2 fun and decided, let’s change everything, we need more sales. Devs dont communicate with their players as much as they used to. Some dont at all (hint hint a specific class). I had faith that anet would fix these issues after hot was released, but after so long in, ive given up.

Im sick and tired of this game. Done with it. Treat this as a useless rant post or whatever, i dont really care. I just think it’s sad to see a great game become so bad.

Didnt expect this post to garner that much attention, but since im already here, ill try to address the recurring questions and answers xpac supporters have for me by quoting my own post.

1. ‘If you don’t like HoT, just don’t play it.’

Except I can’t. Except I paid a USD $100 for HoT, and don’t want to waste my money. It’s like you liking BMWs, and BMW announced a new flagship car. But the catch is, you can’t test drive it. However, they promise it will be great and worth your money. They let you see the exterior design and it’s all gorgeous, so you buy it. Upon driving it, there turned out to be multiple issues with the car. It turned out to be an unpolished car. Just like HoT is an unpolished xpac. That’s the primary reason why I can’t just ‘not play HoT’.

2. ‘What exactly changed about the core game that you can’t just enjoy it instead?’

Except dungeon rewards being nerfed by 50%, resulting in nobody running them now? Except fractals being reworked so that the rewards are plain bad and there’s no reason to do high level fractals (>80/90) now? Except pvp balance being so broken you can’t play non elite specs now? And even among elite specs some are so much more broken than the others? Except wvw borderlands being empty due to another ‘rework’? Except the game becoming a much larger gold sink than before? I could go on, you know.

3. ’What’s so bad about HoT?’

Everything is gated and expensive. To get masteries you have to chain run meta events, now this is good and all but sometimes there aren’t even any commanders leading the map. Or other maps for that matter. Even if there were commanders, you would then be hit by diminishing returns. Your exp gets lesser and lesser each time you run the event. And you can’t even enjoy the events at your own pace. Need participation to make your time worthwhile. Need to rush to location to make it in time for event. Need to wait for next event or my participation in this event would be wasted.

Oh wait, i need to get here but i dont have the required masteries. Now i cant do the events, cant get the exp, no masteries for next time either. Too bad. It’s like the game is telling me to kitten myself. Nvm, ill just do the story then. Oops sorry, you need this mastery to continue the story. K ill just farm events for the mastery but i need another mastery i dont have for the events. You see? Its a vicious cycle.

Guild halls? Expensive. Scribing? Expensive. Fashion? Even more expensive. Ascended armor for raids? HAH. Not only is everything mastery gated, it’s gold gated as well. Also, the amount of gold spent on something relative to the value you get out of it is horrible. Do I want to spend hours of boring silverwaste chest farm for ascended armor for raids to get measly rewards? No thanks. I rather take that 800g and flush it down the mystic toilet.

That’s all I can think of atm. I’m just too tired to elaborate more.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

(edited by ReaperJr.5967)

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Why must stuff be done in a rush? Do content at ur own phase, u wont miss out as u still have ur max lvl and gearstats wont increase.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Laughing Crow.7581

Laughing Crow.7581

Somehow this post ended up in another topic… reposting it here:
———————————————-

I think your title named it well – the fun factor is missing. Or rather too much of it has been replaced with annoyance after annoyance; limitation after limitation, a new currency every 30 feet, new ways of slowing down progress or a new death wish just trying to harvest materials.

It used to be that the cursed shore areas where places where you couldn’t linger long enough in most areas to enjoy the artistry and creativity of the GW2 world. Now it’s just trying to stay alive while passing through most areas of HoT. And I see others doing the same, like riding a bike in rush hour traffic, just trying to get from one spot to another while spending the least amount of time in-between, with far too many ways of being slowed down, limited, hampered or outright killed. On leaving these areas or dying, I keep expecting to see a sign: Leaving HoT; Don’t come back. Gliding should be a good exploration device, but it’s more often an escape mechanism designed after the frying pan/fire scenario.

There’s a big difference between challenges and annoyances; between helping the player enjoy the game with interface design improvements and simplifying processes,
instead of filling it up with fillers, junk, time limitations and insane respawns and hazards.

There is still a lot to enjoy and I do, but it’s getting harder to find. At least I can stand at a crafting station without being interrupted continually or hoping someone will res me… And in part, having spent money on it, I’m trying to get my money’s worth but still switching to other games when the frustration builds up.

Posted by: TheArtOfMouts.7468

TheArtOfMouts.7468

For me personally the masteries didn’t quite deliver what I expected. This bleeds into content.

When I heard about unlocking Itzel language I expected that whole new storylines/dynamic events would get unlocked. When I heard about gliding mastery I expected reaching new areas with new dynamic events.

Instead masteries are mainly good for one thing: unlocking more masteries. The Itzel doesn’t tell you interesting things about his culture, he doesn’t start a new event… he just gives you a one liner and a hero point. Gliding mostly helps you taking shortcuts or unlocking more points.

TLDR: Masteries don’t unlock new content/ interesting stories but more hero / mastery points.

Can you imagine how mad Official forum would be if they lock Events behind mastery, riot 24/7 of course. #gating content #this expansion is too small #gw2 is dead

HoT Story is locked behind masteries.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

For me personally the masteries didn’t quite deliver what I expected. This bleeds into content.

When I heard about unlocking Itzel language I expected that whole new storylines/dynamic events would get unlocked. When I heard about gliding mastery I expected reaching new areas with new dynamic events.

Instead masteries are mainly good for one thing: unlocking more masteries. The Itzel doesn’t tell you interesting things about his culture, he doesn’t start a new event… he just gives you a one liner and a hero point. Gliding mostly helps you taking shortcuts or unlocking more points.

TLDR: Masteries don’t unlock new content/ interesting stories but more hero / mastery points.

Can you imagine how mad Official forum would be if they lock Events behind mastery, riot 24/7 of course. #gating content #this expansion is too small #gw2 is dead

Actually, they do lock events behind mastery, and the forums are like that.

Posted by: BadBoyz.4153

BadBoyz.4153

This game stop being fun since HoT was release, I find myself playing less and less.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Here is what you do:

- take a deep breath
- accept that you don’t HAVE to get every reward there is in 1 week time

Problem solved.

He never said anything about getting everything in 1 week’s time, so the only question I have is…

Whut are you on about?

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

This game stop being fun since HoT was release, I find myself playing less and less.

Sadly, same here too.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

What was fun about spam 1 and win everything in core game?

That wasn’t fun. So it’s not what I did. Or do.

You seem to have a very low opinion of the core game. Why on earth did you stick around for the expansion?

Or is it just that you get your kicks posting useless patronizing rubbish on forums because you lack any real arguments?

I can do that too, you know!

Look:

“And in HoT, you still spam 1 to win except you have to wait 2 hours for the reward.”

I do have a low opinion on core game, but it’s still the best mmorpg out there because all other mmo sucks so much. HoT on the other hand is the challanging content I always wanted, I fell completely in love with it becaude I finally my skill meant something in pve.

You clearly have a limited experience of MMOs if HOT is the first time you’ve seen ‘challenging’ (whatever “my skill meant something” means to you) content.

Yeah… if you want skills to matter a lot, play Elder Scrolls Online. You really have to spam 90% of your skill bar in some of those fights.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

HoT Story is locked behind masteries.

Several events actually are locked behind masteries. You can’t take on the Wyvern Patriarch, for instance, without updrafts (tier 2 gliding). The middle lane of Dragon’s Stand is gated behind an event that requires you to collect pieces of metal from a poison cloud. Sucks when you’re tagged up and you have to sit and wait for the people with that mastery to go play fetch for you.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

My main gripe with HoT is that ANET totally screwed semi casual players without warning. They made optional content as mandatory. Jumping puzzles used to be side games but, now they are mandatory for crafting. Seriously, of all things, crafting. Who needs to be a proficient jumper to craft? What kind of thought process was used to design something like this? All new legendary weapons will require you do achieve silver or better rank in adventures. Adventures are also mandatory for specializations collections for new elite specs. Now, they have hidden ascended trinkets and other ascended gear with new stats behind raid. Not everyone can do raids – some people are limited by skills, some are limited by time and other commitments. If ANET’s new motto is to go hardcore, I have to find something different. HoT looks like guild wars but, plays like a Korean grinder.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

I haven’t quite been able to put my finger on it yet, but something is certainly different about the game. I dunno if its the atmosphere or community feel, or just the game design in general. All I know is, it isn’t the same, and its not what I like. Things feel pressured, urgent but at the same time it feels like its going to take forever to accomplish things too. Maybe that’s it by design, just seems like everything is long term with nothing to sustain it in the meantime. I dunno, I been trying to work on things slowly, but feel I have no sense of accomplishment. It just feels like “long haul or bust” if you know what I mean.

Agreed. I like most of HoT, but I’m totally sick of Anet’s “Every last thing should be a long-term or very-long-term goal.” The only thing this has done is made Anet extremely lazy when creating rewards & assets(3 armor sets in an expansion? That’s so laughably ludicrous It sounds like a bad joke. I can’t stress enough how paltry that is.), put all the rewards into the gem store & gave the players large lengths of time between rewards. It’s nice to always have long term goals as long as there are multiple short-term goals to make the journey interesting.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

(3 armor sets in an expansion? That’s so laughably ludicrous It sounds like a bad joke. I can’t stress enough how paltry that is.), put all the rewards into the gem store & gave the players large lengths of time between rewards.

Its especially such a joke, since we don’t even get any new armor sets in the gemstore
because, like it was posted in a blog a while ago, all armor sets should now be
exclusive ingame rewards.

Since i have no fun playing the new maps, and those 3 new sets are also totally ugly
in my eyes, i have till now just gotten revenant gloves and boots as new skins from
an expansion that costed as much as the initial game, that had 100s of skin sets.

So since introduction of the wardrobe 1.5 years ago, the only new complete
armor skin-set i have got is Carapace .. everything else is from before we even got
the wardrobe.

And that is the greatest joke of all.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I like most of what we’ve gotten in the game, content wise. I don’t mind the masteries, content gating (within reason), and challenge in the end game. That said, I do have serious issues with certain things in the game’s management and direction, and I think many of them are not minority opinions. In no particular order:

1. Dev communication and interaction in the forums is absurdly poor. Like, way short of what is acceptable. I can’t believe anyone wonders why the forums are so negative all the time or acts like it has anything to do with the mentality of the player base. It’s all a build-up of frustration that Anet is mostly responsible for.

2. Poor management of the Gem Shop. Too much RNG stuff and too many overpriced bundles. Everyone knows the game is built around micro-transactions in lieu of a sub fee, and that’s perfectly acceptable, but it’s really, really irritating how cash-grabby it always feels. Like with everything else, focus on quality and moderation in pricing and you’re likely to get more revenue and players will be happier.

3. Exceedingly poor class balance. Like the worst I’ve ever seen. Balance paches are too infrequent and not far-reaching enough. Things that have very obviously needed changing from day one are still around. Some classes are very obviously stronger than others, and in the current meta we have reached a point where there’s too much power creep, too much damage, and too many counters to too many things.

4. Embarrassingly exaggerated attempts to push the esports, when it’s obvious to everyone it just isn’t really working. Focus on the game as a whole. If esports is going to happen, it’s going to happen organically because you’ve crafted a really good product and framework for it, not because you’re dumping too many resources into pushing it and annoying everybody while doing virtually nothing for things like class balance.

5. Unacceptable abandonment of content, specifically dungeon content, when dungeons are important in an MMO and they should put a team together to fix them. We deserve at least that after paying $50 for $20 worth of content in HoT.

6. Get Season 1 into the story journal, for crying out loud. It’s been almost 2 years. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I don’t understand there’s still people defending arenanet on this.

How can you deny that…

• Masteries are a grindwall covering up that they didn’t put much new content in the game?
  • Elite specs are a paywall to be competitive in PvP right now? Only a handful of core specs are able to compete fairly.
  • World vs. World is now a looot less active, partially because of gigantic maps that are too annoying to navigate around, partially because of auto-upgrades?
  • Dungeons are no longer worth playing because they nerfed the rewards on them?
  • Fractals had their rewards moved behind a paywall so that rewards people used to get in core, are now only available after level 50 and require the expansion?
  • Arenanet has been pumping out outfit after outfit, and weapon set after weapon set through the gem store?

I can probably continue summing up, but I think you get my point. Please be realistic. Arenanet is a company, they want to make profits, they’re not angels, they’re not your friends.

It’s okay and understandable that a company wants to make profits, but it’s not okay when it takes things out of the core game, when it promises different things than it delivers etc. There’s a moral code of conduct that companies should not break, because if they do, they’re likely to lose customers.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I don’t understand there’s still people defending arenanet on this.

How can you deny that…

• Masteries are a grindwall covering up that they didn’t put much new content in the game?
  • Elite specs are a paywall to be competitive in PvP right now? Only a handful of core specs are able to compete fairly.
  • World vs. World is now a looot less active, partially because of gigantic maps that are too annoying to navigate around, partially because of auto-upgrades?
  • Dungeons are no longer worth playing because they nerfed the rewards on them?
  • Fractals had their rewards moved behind a paywall so that rewards people used to get in core, are now only available after level 50 and require the expansion?
  • Arenanet has been pumping out outfit after outfit, and weapon set after weapon set through the gem store?

I can probably continue summing up, but I think you get my point. Please be realistic. Arenanet is a company, they want to make profits, they’re not angels, they’re not your friends.

It’s okay and understandable that a company wants to make profits, but it’s not okay when it takes things out of the core game, when it promises different things than it delivers etc. There’s a moral code of conduct that companies should not break, because if they do, they’re likely to lose customers.

The problem is that it’s all gimmicks. When you focus on making a good game, the money will come. You shouldn’t have to resort to gimmicks and cheap tactics to gt money. Arenanet seems to have a chronic problem of thinking GW2 players are more gullible or stupid than they actually are.

Posted by: Makka.3620

Makka.3620

i agree with the OP , but i am just gonna state what i did since i played the expansion

1st of all iam a 3 year old player since last week and i play a ranger mostly and have a warrior for farming – yes farming , farmed dungeons to get gold to make my legendary long and shortbow , shortbow being useless now – and now currently working up on my lvl 80 necro to make it a reaper

iam on 144 mastery level – yes i farmed cof p1 and farmed spiders – but i also can tell u how every single meta of the 4 new maps works and which events for which achievments

thing i hate is , yes it felt like a race donno why but i raced through it all and had my fun of course leading people through different meta’s , few things were gated and i hated that but i did it eventually , funny thing is iam stuck now on 144 mastery and i can get the last 2 mastery’s bars filled immediately at cof p1 but im stuck now coz i need 16 more point – got 1 alrdy – so now i have to start doing fractals oooooooooooooooooooooooor start doin useless achievement for those like buying racial gears or getting all lumi armors …or better yet do all diving googles crap …..

i played HoT for like 200 hours maybe in the past 3 weeks i enjoyed it yes but its not the same fun i had in core gw2 which is now omg a zerg fest , people who say play the core game of u dont like HoT , did u actually try doing melandru or grenth or dwayna or lyssa or any of those now ? those bosses and many more outside of orr maps used to be fun they could actually fail and u could – sometimes- fail doing pre’s and boss wont even spawn now what u worry about is " i have to hit anything omg i need to get this event even on bronze to get exp for my mastery or count as 1 of the 4 daily events for this map " , thats not fun to go back to if u ask me , i donno how to fix that but it feels just not right

Iam a pvper btw and as i said i made 2 legendary weapons one of them is just useless now which is the short bow coz they nerfed the ranger builds that had advantage using it which are trapper and spirits , so thats pvp for u now , 1 or 2 meta’s for each class , as the guy said before me whoever hits 1st and hardest mostly wins

WvW i dont know about but i once tried the new desert borderlands and asked on map chat why no1 is there , a guy answered because its bugged or few mechanics not working yet so i dont know if that is true

raids hmmm its fun but what if i cant come online the time my guild does that , i dont care if i do that or no but making it the only way to get legendary armor is just annoying , im not saying to make it easier , just make it like legendary weapon , obtainable after a looong journey which is fine for me