This is the best game ever...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ulti.6730

Ulti.6730

This game deserves a huge thumbs up, never played anything like it. Captures everything I love about video games. Awesome job guys.

Ultiimate- Guardian – Borlis Pass

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

I agree… this game is really, really good. By MMO standards, good community to boot

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I have my beefs with some things, but yea, I agree this is the best MMO out right now.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

God knows I have loudly voiced my criticisms of this game (and will continue to do so – lol) …

But yes, to date, this is the best MMO I have ever played overall. Sure there are specific aspects of some other MMOs with I prefer over GW2, but in general, when talking about all 3 modes (PvE, WvW, PvP), then yep, GW2 beats out all my previous mmo experiences.

So now that I got that out of the way, time to go back to my regularly scheduled program of loud criticisms and suggestions. ;-)

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: Sargonnas.4168

Sargonnas.4168

As far as MMO’s go, yes, it is my favorite.

“Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It is certainly the best MMO I have played to date. And, it still has potential to be great. They did so much right with this game and I wish Anet and the community success in making it great.

Posted by: Sargonnas.4168

Sargonnas.4168

It is certainly the best MMO I have played to date. And, it still has potential to be great. They did so much right with this game and I wish Anet and the community success in making it great.

+1
Anet did a great job and would have done even better if not for NCsoft.

“Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

Posted by: Gunnox.5910

Gunnox.5910

I feel extremely bad for having hated the living world system but…
these news are awesome, living story is good and I LOVE YOU ARENANET GO GUILD WARS 2!!!

Posted by: JOKER.3952

JOKER.3952

+1 I approve this message

80 Engi, 80 War, 80 Ranger, 80 Mes [AoD] – DR
“Sometimes … when Im alone – I buff myself”

Posted by: pantsforbirds.9032

pantsforbirds.9032

I mean the graphics are absolutely beautiful and the lore is nice, but the combat in this game is what really makes it shine for me. The combat is extremely fluid and I would say it compares to a FPS game. It’s fast, fluid, exciting, and demanding! Even if they took away all of the cool weapons and armor in the game and dressed us all in pink bunny suits with carrots for weapons I would log on everyday for the combat.

Thief: Rand x Al Thor | Mesmer: Egwene x Alvere
Dragonbrand |Twitch: twitch.tv/pantsforbirds

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Best game ever is an overstatement (Arkham City is my best game ever) but yes, as far as MMOs the only one that I hold to the same level of enjoyment is GW1

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

This is the only MMO where I haven’t logged on in almost a week now (due to lag and time problems) and I don’t feel guilty about it whatsoever. This is the only MMO where I’m not forced to play to “keep up with the Joneses”. And this is the only MMO that has quality content that I don’t have to keep paying for on a regular basis. These are why I like gw2.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

GW2 is definitely the best MMO I’ve ever played as well (and I’ve tried out a lot of MMO’s over the years)!

The two MMO’s I’ve really been digging lately are GW2 and DC Universe Online. I also recently purchased The Secret World and downloaded Star Trek Online but haven’t had the time to get into them yet.

The past MMO that I miss is Earth & Beyond, which was shut down almost a decade ago after running for two years., while the MMO that I was looking forward to the most but was canceled a little over a decade ago before it ever hit stores was the pulp adventure-themed Lost Continents.

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO right now, definitely!

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO right now, definitely!

Agreed. The cool part is that this game is young and has a lot of growing to do. It’ll be interesting to see how it evolves over the years. I was worried about the staying power of GW2 (and sometimes I still am because I am paranoid), but I think it’ll remain a contender.

A very well done title, imho.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

This is the only MMO where I haven’t logged on in almost a week now (due to lag and time problems) and I don’t feel guilty about it whatsoever. This is the only MMO where I’m not forced to play to “keep up with the Joneses”. And this is the only MMO that has quality content that I don’t have to keep paying for on a regular basis. These are why I like gw2.

Yeah, I took about…I want to say a month or 2 break from GW2 because I was busy at the time.

Came back, found out I was in no way behind on anything.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I have friends all over the country who play MMOs and I have never been able to play with them more easily than I have with GW2 without the usual problems of differences in levels, servers, gear or professions.

GW2 is the first MMO I’ve seen that encourages people to play together the way they want, rather than forcing them to play the way some game developer thinks they should.

Add to the fact the game is absolutely beautiful and the combat is fun and I’ve ended up playing and enjoying this MMO more than any other. And I’m still interested in continuing to play it after almost a year (has it been a year already?)

ArenaNet has done something very rare, they have improved and evolved the MMO genre. A sign of that is how other games are duplicating mechanics that GW2 has implemented. And yes, GW2 used mechanics from past games as all games have but there is difference between copying mechanics and improving on them. The former is very common in the MMO genre, the latter is not.

So thank you ArenaNet for not making me regret following GW2 before the game released and thank you for making a game that I want to play.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

It may not be the best game ever (that accolade I reserve for the original System Shock ), but it’s certainly one of the top MMOs out at the moment, without question. I have GW2, EVE Online and TSW on a rotation, with the occasional bit of SWTOR. Each time I come back to GW2, I love it, love it, love it. It’s just so vast and huge and beautiful and cute, and there’s so much to do for a casual player like me. I don’t anticipate GW2 ever falling off my MMO rotation.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

With the “…” in the title, I was expecting this to be a sarcastic hate thread. I’m still confused.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

It’s the best MMO around.

The thing is, MMOs are incredibly bad games. Saying GW2 is the best MMO doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good game.

And while the game had a lot of potential, ArenaNet has been steering the game in the opposite direction of what we were told the game would be, focusing more and more in just giving rewards for grind and RNG instead of focusing on good content.

See the Southsun Cove event as an example of that.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s the best MMO around.

The thing is, MMOs are incredibly bad games. Saying GW2 is the best MMO doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good game.

And while the game had a lot of potential, ArenaNet has been steering the game in the opposite direction of what we were told the game would be, focusing more and more in just giving rewards for grind and RNG instead of focusing on good content.

See the Southsun Cove event as an example of that.

Good content is a matter of opinion. What’s good content to some people is definitely not good content to others.

Vayne.8563

Like many others, I think this is the best MMO out there right now. I think Guild Wars 2 is still going through growing pains and it will get a lot better too.

The problem is I dislike most MMOs. I like Guild Wars 2. The gulf between the two makes Guild Wars 2 seem like a better MMO than it is…or will be in a six months time and then a year.

I have a really good feeling about what this game will be like in the future. Right now, it’s got a great foundation on which to build…but there’s still a lot of work to be done.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

This game’s pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Piper Hecht.6538

Piper Hecht.6538

This game deserves a huge thumbs up, never played anything like it. Captures everything I love about video games. Awesome job guys.

This. Even if I disagree with some of Anet’s decisions, they’re far and away better than anything any other company in terms of MMOs. By far the best MMORPG on the market right now, and they get way less love than they deserve.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’d say it’s the #3 MMORPG I’ve ever played.

Number 2 was SWG, early on.

Number 1 was City of Heroes, which was killed by NCSoft last year.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

This, this is awesome, guys. In any other MMO forum on the net, this post would’ve been swamped with trolls and naysayers from reply #1.

Most fun MMO I ever played, getting so many of the little things right.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I have my beefs with some things, but yea, I agree this is the best MMO out right now.

This is absolutely the worst MMO for MMO players. Their manifesto was true – if you hate MMOs, you’re really going to like GW2.

Sure enough.

Game sucks.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

this is no where near the best MMO, really farrrrrrr behind the best. it is different though

Vayne.8563

What I have noticed is that it makes a great first impression. Then reality slowly sets in on people.

I watch how opinions of the game have changed over time, especially from posters who make topics like these. Not everyone stops gushing about it, but it seems most change their tune given ample time for the honeymoon phase to wear off.

Because it doesn’t have the same type of/degree of required grind that other games do. That’s all. And because it’s 10 months old.

I see the same thing in almost every MMO forum six months in, eight months in. People run out of content and get bored and start complaining.

Doesn’t have anything to do with the game. This forum could be copy and pasted from any MMORPG forum I’ve ever been on.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

What I have noticed is that it makes a great first impression. Then reality slowly sets in on people.

I watch how opinions of the game have changed over time, especially from posters who make topics like these. Not everyone stops gushing about it, but it seems most change their tune given ample time for the honeymoon phase to wear off.

Because it doesn’t have the same type of/degree of required grind that other games do. That’s all. And because it’s 10 months old.

I see the same thing in almost every MMO forum six months in, eight months in. People run out of content and get bored and start complaining.

Doesn’t have anything to do with the game. This forum could be copy and pasted from any MMORPG forum I’ve ever been on.

yup, lol just yup…..a lot of those games dont have much money to work with, but yea yea.

Vayne.8563

It could have plenty to do with the game. I’m sure if you ask the posters it has plenty to do with the game. But let’s just ignore them shall we?

It’s much easier to ignore when you decide to chalk it up to the condition of MMO’s.

I have noticed your criticisms have also grown over time. They must not be valid though, just the MMO condition.

Same said on any game forum. If this reflects other game forums then obviously criticisms have to do with the game. So why does it take months. An MMO is sorta like a relationship.

You meet someone and you ignore their flaws because your’e madly in love. Everything is great. Then you move in together, spend time together and flaws emerge. Normal human psychology. Has to do with the other person sure. Has as much to do with individual expectations and also has something to do with individual tolerances.

I spend more time with the game, I notice more flaws in the game. It’s logical that would happen. But I’m still of the opinion that there’s not a better MMO out there for my play style now or in the forseeable future.

Those who look for the perfect relationship, without any tolerance at all, end up leaving for another relationship which also won’t be perfect. No one is saying the game is perfect. But also, every fault that everyone posts on a forum isn’t fault, but often an incompatibility.

The people who want uber-hard content with appropriate rewards in their eyes probably aren’t going to like this game as much as me, and they’re going to say that’s a fault in the game. But one man’s trash is another man’s jewels.

The stuff most people complain about isn’t a flaw in the game, it’s an incompatibility between the game and their play style. Which has just as much to do with the person as the game.

I’m not sure why people have so much trouble acknowledging this.

Vayne.8563

It could have plenty to do with the game. I’m sure if you ask the posters it has plenty to do with the game. But let’s just ignore them shall we?

It’s much easier to ignore when you decide to chalk it up to the condition of MMO’s.

I have noticed your criticisms have also grown over time. They must not be valid though, just the MMO condition.

Same said on any game forum. If this reflects other game forums then obviously criticisms have to do with the game. So why does it take months. An MMO is sorta like a relationship.

You meet someone and you ignore their flaws because your’e madly in love. Everything is great. Then you move in together, spend time together and flaws emerge. Normal human psychology. Has to do with the other person sure. Has as much to do with individual expectations and also has something to do with individual tolerances.

I spend more time with the game, I notice more flaws in the game. It’s logical that would happen. But I’m still of the opinion that there’s not a better MMO out there for my play style now or in the forseeable future.

Those who look for the perfect relationship, without any tolerance at all, end up leaving for another relationship which also won’t be perfect. No one is saying the game is perfect. But also, every fault that everyone posts on a forum isn’t fault, but often an incompatibility.

The people who want uber-hard content with appropriate rewards in their eyes probably aren’t going to like this game as much as me, and they’re going to say that’s a fault in the game. But one man’s trash is another man’s jewels.

The stuff most people complain about isn’t a flaw in the game, it’s an incompatibility between the game and their play style. Which has just as much to do with the person as the game.

Acknowledging what? It’s the exact same thing I said, except it took you 6 paragraphs to say it.

After the newness wears off, the flaws present themselves.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Thanks for ignoring my point. Maybe I needed more words to say something different from you.

Flaws are not flaws if they’re just a matter of taste. Every game has flaws. Every single one. No exceptions. Every person has flaws. If you focus on flaws you’ll never be in a relationship for any length of time, because all you’ll see if flaws.

But MORE importantly many things that are a flaw to ONE person, may not be a flaw at all. I talk a lot. Some people would hate it. My wife loves it. It’s not a flaw to her. I just have a niche audience.

The point is flaw is a lousy word to use for something that’s perfectly fine that some people don’t like. In some cases, as I’ve said, it’s not a flaw, but a compatibility issue. The flaw doesn’t necessarily lie in the game in those cases.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Acknowledging what? It’s the exact same thing I said, except it took you 6 paragraphs to say it.

After the newness wears off, the flaws present themselves.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Thanks for ignoring my point. Maybe I needed more words to say something different from you.

Flaws are not flaws if they’re just a matter of taste. Every game has flaws. Every single one. No exceptions. Every person has flaws. If you focus on flaws you’ll never be in a relationship for any length of time, because all you’ll see if flaws.

But MORE importantly many things that are a flaw to ONE person, may not be a flaw at all. I talk a lot. Some people would hate it. My wife loves it. It’s not a flaw to her. I just have a niche audience.

The point is flaw is a lousy word to use for something that’s perfectly fine that some people don’t like. In some cases, as I’ve said, it’s not a flaw, but a compatibility issue. The flaw doesn’t necessarily lie in the game in those cases.

Yeah I get it, as long as you don’t mind it or it doesn’t affect your particular playstyle, it’s ok with you. You may even like it because it affects another’s play style you don’t agree with negatively.

Great attitude there.

No one should complain because someone else might like it. Let’s just hug.

It also has nothing at all to do with what I said. Time goes on, the same people who post these kind of threads will change their tune over time.

It seems to me you are being far too confrontational about this, I believe Vayne’s point is simply “different strokes for different folks”. I read nothing in his post to indicate that what he was saying equated to “I got mine forget everyone else” which you seem to be implying. Is there room for improvement in this game? Absolutely, but name me one mmorpg that has shipped absolutely perfect and able to satisfy literally everyone that played it. It can’t be done because people have different tastes and ideas for what is entertaining to them. In conclusion, quit trying to rain on the fun parade!……

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Best ever? Maybe not

Pretty awesome? Definitely

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

Yeah I agree with OP, this in my opinion is the best MMO to date. I’ve just done another post saying as much so won’t harp on.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

I agree.
Farmville is the best game ever.
for the ones who enjoy it.
I stop playing because I was not having fun.
GW1 is the best (MMO) I’ve ever played.

Vayne.8563

The Shadow Puppet has returned. Very apropos name btw.

I’m sorry you feel I’m being too confrontational. Like Vayne said, we don’t all see the same thing. So it’s ok if you didn’t read what I read in his post.

I’m not arguing whether this game is good or not. It is absolutely a good, quality game, imo. Or whether other games have bug/flaws. They absolutely do, imo. And these topics have about the same value as any purely negative topic, imo.

And again, your reply has nothing whatsoever to do with my original post. Most of the people who have made topics like this change their tune over time.

Have a blast at your fun parade

And you CONTINUE to miss the point, because you’re so blind-sided by your own.

Anet has an audience they’re focusing on. The audience they’re NOT focusing on is going to complain, loudly and often. But that doesn’t make the game bad, no matter what they’re saying.

Some of us are open-minded enough to go into a game knowing it might not be what we’re looking for. Some of us assume, if it’s not what we’re looking for, there’s something wrong with the game.

I never once posted a negative post on the WoW forum, because I realized the game was designed for a play style different from mine. Posting on that forum would have been ludicrous, not because my opinion does or doesn’t matter, but because it’s obvious to me that the game’s demographic has nothing to do with me. I don’t walk into McDonald’s and campaign for fine dining.

When someone comes onto the forums of a game that was never really meant to be about vertical progress (based on how Anet spoke about it and how Guild Wars 1 was laid out), and they think the game should be about increasing numbers, most of those who followed the game are amazed. It’s like they want to take this game and turn it into that game. But it’s neither a reasonable request, nor is it a legitimate complaint.

They’re saying this game isn’t like every other game and complaining about it. Well yeah, that’s sort of the point.

If you loved MMOs the way they were, there’s plenty of choice. Why come here and try to convince Anet to make this just another MMO?

It’s like a person who’s completely missing what’s being offered. The Living Story and Living World that Anet talks about is obviously their INTENT. It’s not a side thing while they focus on dungeons and raids and gear progression.

Anet is moving forward with stated intent. If you don’t like that, it’s probably not going to change anyway. It’s not that this game is good for me, so I don’t care about anyone else. It’s that I’ve spent years exploring MMOs, and have yet to find one I can stomach for any length of time. Every MMO is some variation on WoW which was itself a variation on EQ and older games. It’s all cut from one cloth.

And you’re thinking I’m selfish for wanting ONE GAME for my play style? I think others are selfish for not playing the dozens of games they have access to.

Posted by: Emperor.1360

Emperor.1360

This is definitely one of the best MMOs I have played. Dark Age of Camelot (pre-Atlantis) is my favourite, but it’s nothing in comparison technically (obviously).

Omnes stulti estis, quod putatis vos esse
intellegentes eximiosque, quamvis
non fuistis, vere non estis et eritis numquam.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

WTS – Honeymoon photos

Vayne.8563

WTS – Honeymoon photos

Some of us have been playing since launch and still feel this is the best MMO available now (and in some cases available ever).

It’s not all about the honeymoon.

Emperor.1360

WTS – Honeymoon photos

Some of us have been playing since launch and still feel this is the best MMO available now (and in some cases available ever).

Yeah, I have been playing since beta. My CE Rytlock statue says hi.

Paul.4081

WTS – Honeymoon photos

Ok, 20% off but thats as low as I’ll go

Say chee…press F!

(edited by Paul.4081)

Emperor.1360

WTS – Honeymoon photos

OMG DEAL!

Vayne.8563

WTS – Honeymoon photos

I got one of those. My wife calls it a dust collector. lol

Paul.4081

WTS – Honeymoon photos

OMG DEAL!

Click, ok, your photo’s are now ready for collection. Just pay the cash shop for a 0.0005% chance of getting the photo .

Thanks, come again!

Next….

Emperor.1360

WTS – Honeymoon photos

I got one of those. My wife calls it a dust collector. lol

Tell her it’s a dust collector that will totally be worth $1,000,000……someday.

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Best MMO, but will quickly be replaced by MMOs that have learnt from GW2s mistakes if they continue to fail to improve core systems instead of focusing entirely on themepark sideshows.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Best 50 euros spent ever, that’s for sure.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Ultima Online is by far the best MMO ever created. GW2 is a lot better than most MMOs, but it’s far from Ultima Online in terms of greatness.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I talk a lot. Some people would hate it. My wife loves it. It’s not a flaw to her. I just have a niche audience.

Haha, I’m putting this in my sig. <3