Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

We could still have that. The problem was exotics were TOO east to obtain. It took 1 day to get a full set of exotics and then the game was essentially over, you had seen all the content and the only thing to do was grind the same event over and over again until you could get a better looking weapon.

They are replacing that mindless grind with a series of dungeons that allow you to infinitely progress and get a slower progression of the next tier of gear so you can progress even further down the infinite dungeon.

Just because YOU didn’t find anything worthwile and fun to do after reaching lvl 80 and getting full exotics doesn’t mean there isn’t anything there.
I still don’t have full exotics on my main, map completion is stuck due to WvW, have barely started on jumping puzzles, lazily starting to level alts,…

Polka will never die

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

I feel sorry for Anet. Their initial fanbase turn on them so easily.

That’s what happens when the core principle of the game which caused people to be fans of it in the first place is reversed.

Right now people are saying that if this happens it will be bad / they will quit / whatever. Only very few are actually making a decision now because it’s currently unclear what how they are “more powerful”.

But that’s no reason not to discuss something nor is it a reason not to make sure ANet is aware of your concerns.

Discussion & feedback are the purpose of the forums.

Ah I think you mis-interpreted my reference, I’m talking about the people who jumped into conclusions and are throwing threats all over the places. This isn’t a place to threaten people. It’s to discuss possibilities and give our opinion. Shoot, this forum would be more effective if people just wrote yes and no and we just count all the yes’s and no’s because very few people are actually putting valuable posts in this thread.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

If there are new items with better stats (I don’t know yet), a main reason I gave this game a chance is gone. Therefore, I would quit.

Not angry, though. I got my money’s worth, I simply would cease business with this game. Which’d be a shame, but in my case, I simply value “no statgrind” above any other issue in this game.

As much as I love jumping puzzles and the exploration love. This would be a dealbreaker.

Why did you play the game at all then? you do know that there are items with better stats then blues right? why didn’t you quit the game the first time a green item dropped for you?

Yep. People seem to have forgotten the fact that there is a masterwork > rare > exotic gear treadmill in the game right now.

I would LOVE someone who’s angry over this change to explain to me why that doesn’t anger you but this does.

And please, no slippery slope arguments, thanks (ie. “but that mean’s they’re going to add more tiers in the future!”)

I already did but I will explain again.

What is currently in this game is not a gear treadmill. It is just gearing up your characters. Masterwork/Rare are easy to get and then Exotic is what you put the effort into to make your character the best it can be. You don’t even need masterwork/Rare to get exotics. We have already put all our time end effort into getting Exotics and in some cases multiple set for different builds, thinking that will set up our characters for the all the new content they add, but now it seems we have to start the grind again for even better stats.

That is what a treadmill is, every so often having to begin a new grind for even better gear.

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

I do not see anyone asking the only relevant question… assuming the Ascendant items are a new tier… what colour will their names be written with ?

I’ll only accept hot pink. A real man’s color.

Posted by: SilverShadow.3021

SilverShadow.3021

Well if this is really happening, time for a new sit-down!
Good ol’ GW1 times

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The sad part is that these people are turning on them for something that has been in the game since launch.

Did none of you notice the different tiers of gear before this?

Did you play Guild Wars 1? That had it too.

See, it’s not about tiers existing in general. It’s about the MAXIMUM level of gear not changing.

You are, essentially, missing the point. Come on, some more reading comprehension, please. It’s not hard.

Yes but GW1 wasn’t even an MMO. It had very little content and no progression.

GW2 is an MMO and if it wants to stay competitive it needs some form of progression. We are now finally getting that. Completing everything in the game in 1 month and having most of the players go back to WoW probably isn’t what Anet was hoping for.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

I feel sorry for Anet. Their initial fanbase turn on them so easily.

The sad part is that these people are turning on them for something that has been in the game since launch.

Did none of you notice the PvE stat boosters in the Gem Shop?

It’s like none of you have actually played the game you are now complaining about. Tiers of gear power have been here since the first week of beta, nothing is changing, they are just adding the next tier, it is literally no different then to what is already in the game.

Until February, when they announce Mythical gear, then next June with the dark side Diabolical gear, following next October on their annual release with Malevolent gear. They just need a few more tiers, then they will stop. Seriously. They will stop this time.

Trust them. Just ignore their previous marketing attempts. No gear treadmill indeed.

Slippery slope fallacy. And totally irrational. No one has any idea what the Ascended gear is actually all about. You’re just assuming Ascended is a new tier gear, and it’s going to lead to a whole new ladder of tiers, and before you know it the game is dead and we’re playing another WoW clone.

That is a massive cognitive leap considering that we have no information about the upcoming changes.

Would it kill you to relax, be patient, and wait for the blog post?

There are 3 options when it comes to adding higher tiers of gear.

1. Do it all the time to keep the people who only play to get higher stats happy.
2. Do it occasionally. This alienates the people who dislike it and possibly gets the people who do like it to come back each time a new tier is added to farm for a while, and then leave as soon as they have the new gear because there’s no way for them to improve their stats any further.
3. Don’t do it to keep the people who don’t like it happy.

They need to decide who their target audience is and stick to it.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Khalisto.2615

Khalisto.2615

Watch your own MMO Manifesto again Anet! U break it now!

The game since BETA had armor and weapon tiers starting with the white colored armor, then blue, green, yellow and orange for exotic… they are just adding a higher tier than this. THIS IS NOT A NEW MECHANIC!

We have had this since beta…when I was leveling up I wore green colored items, once I reached level 80 i bought all yellow gear from the trading post and dungeon hunted to get my complete armor set which is one more tier higher than yellow, ASCENDED will be the tier after exotic.

Posted by: HellHeart.4391

HellHeart.4391

I seriously hope it can be obtained by other means other than grinding a dungeon within a span of a week. We’re already tired of that. Im sure no one wanna grind for another tier right after you obtain your exotics or not…

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

No one has stated anywhere that the Ascended Items will “permanently double your attack power” so how bout we wait for some facts before spreading hyperbolic crap like that. The article was very vague in saying that it would “increase power”. No one has any clue what that means. I’m speculating that it’s probably similar to Weh no Suh, or Infusion. You’re claiming the sky is falling because it will somehow “double your attack power”. All Arenanet has said is that they are “artifacts of great power”. That does not say anything about them increasing power or increasing any stats.

You do not have good reading comprehension skills. You are bad at it. That was (pretty obviously) a hypothetical example to illustrate why one of those ideas is fundamentally, in principle, absolutely fine, and why one of those ideas is fundamentally, in principle, absolutely not fine.

I don’t know where you got it in your head that I – or anyone - is claiming to know exactly to what extent the Ascended equipment will improve your character. I haven’t even claimed that it will offer your character a flat vertical increase in power over current gear.

What I have said is that flat vertical increases in power are bad in principle and that if that’s what Ascended equipment amounts to, then they should not be added to Guild Wars 2, and that I am uninterested in playing the game if that’s what they are. I don’t know that they will be, and I hope that they won’t be.
Maybe all they’ll let you do is double-jump, and they’ll be useful for newer, harder jumping puzzles. That would be fun.
Maybe they’ll have stats that are equal in value to Exotic equipment, but can be customized on the fly so that you can shift between Berserker stats, Cleric’s stats, or Traveler’s stats – or create your own stat spread, not offered on any current equipment – simply by opening up your Hero menu, without having to waste an extra 6-12+ inventory slots on a completely new set of equipment. That would be fantastic, and would represent a decrease in equipment grind that would breathe new life into the game.

But maybe you’re going to get an extra 300 Power, deal 25% more damage to Karka, and gain 10% Endurance every time a Karka hits you. That would be awful, and I would not want to continue playing the game.

Nobody is claiming that the sky is falling. What people are saying is that if ArenaNet is setting up plans to knock the sky down intentionally, we would like them to reconsider, and that if they do go ahead with knocking the sky down, we’re probably not going to be there when it hits the ground.

Seems to me like you lack reading comprehension cupcake. You have not understood a word I have typed, so you’re no longer worth arguing with. There are quite a few “sky is falling” posts in this thread so to claim otherwise is simply naive. And you yourself said specifically that doubling your power was bad. Ok, yeah. I agree, that would be bad. But the reason I pointed out that it had not been stated anywhere that that was the case was because you did not state that. You simply said “doubling your attack power is bad”. It was a baseless argument that served no purpose other than to be dramatic (something you excel at, btw). So yeah, with that, I’ll take my leave of this conversation. Until you can grow up a a bit and learn to read properly, I’m done arguing with you.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon”! NOTHING here explicitly states these items are better in way than exotics, if any thing they could be the same stats with different methods of customization<be it cosmetic or Effect(not statisical). To be honest this thread has killed my faith in the GW2 community, i feel as if every last raging person in this thread needs to quit gaming and get therapy and stopi acting like a kittening idiot.

Multiple fan sites do in fact state that they are statistically better:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/
“slightly more powerful than exotics”

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6882/A-Peek-into-the-November-Update.html/page/1
“a bit more powerful than exotic quality”

http://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-PC-169660/News/Guild-wars-2-November-Update-mit-Item-Progression-1034934/
Translation provided by DirtyKlingon on page 1 of this thread:
“This is a departure from the principle, that an improvement of items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful but equal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasoned this change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many”

Clearly all of those fansites have been given the exact same preview because they all formatted their articles in the exact same way. Also it’s pretty clear there is a stat increase, as evident by those sites as well as the lack of a denial in this thread – the only thing ANet posted in this thread was a “we’re posting a blog update soon” and that’s it.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

Until February, when they announce Mythical gear, then next June with the dark side Diabolical gear, following next October on their annual release with Malevolent gear. They just need a few more tiers, then they will stop. Seriously. They will stop this time.

Trust them. Just ignore their previous marketing attempts. No gear treadmill indeed.

Slippery slope fallacy. And totally irrational. No one has any idea what the Ascended gear is actually all about. You’re just assuming Ascended is a new tier gear, and it’s going to lead to a whole new ladder of tiers, and before you know it the game is dead and we’re playing another WoW clone.

That is a massive cognitive leap considering that we have no information about the upcoming changes.

Would it kill you to relax, be patient, and wait for the blog post?

You’re right… my names and dates are probably off… but in general, by next anniversary, I’m more likely to say " I told you so" than you me. At what point does it stop being a slippery slope. When they add something after ascended? or the one after that?

Anet has a bad habit of saying things that would please the ideal of a casual mmo, then implementing something that does the complete opposite because it is more profitable.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

souldonkey.9534

“Introducing Ascended items, artifacts of great power that can be improved by a special new type of upgrade called Infusions, which can be found in dungeons. Look for more information about Ascended gear soon”! NOTHING here explicitly states these items are better in way than exotics, if any thing they could be the same stats with different methods of customization<be it cosmetic or Effect(not statisical). To be honest this thread has killed my faith in the GW2 community, i feel as if every last raging person in this thread needs to quit gaming and get therapy and stopi acting like a kittening idiot.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6882/A-Peek-into-the-November-Update.html/page/1

http://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-PC-169660/News/Guild-wars-2-November-Update-mit-Item-Progression-1034934/
This is a departure from the principle, that an improvementof items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful butequal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasonedthis change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many"

Clearly all of those fansites have been given the exact same preview because they all formatted their articles in the exact same way. Also it’s pretty clear there is a stat increase, as evident by those sites as well as the lack of a denial in this thread – the only thing ANet posted in this thread was a “we’re posting a blog update soon” and that’s it.

Key quote here is “multiple fan sites”. Arenanet’s site just says that the items are “artifacts of great power”. That is not the same as “they are more powerful than your current gear”.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

GW2 is an MMO and if it wants to stay competitive it needs some form of progression. We are now finally getting that. Completing everything in the game in 1 month and having most of the players go back to WoW probably isn’t what Anet was hoping for.

What, you mean the type of progression that ArenaNet sold us on NOT being in the game? Oh yeah, just conveniently forgot about that eh?

They specifically said many many many times for years before release that there would be no gear treadmill.

Also, no, contrary to backward ideas about what constitutes an MMO, gear treadmill is not required (as evinced by the fact that GW2 exists and people bought it specifically for the lack of gear treadmill).

Levetty.1279

Did you play Guild Wars 1? That had it too.

See, it’s not about tiers existing in general. It’s about the MAXIMUM level of gear not changing.

You are, essentially, missing the point. Come on, some more reading comprehension, please. It’s not hard.

You are right, exactly copying WoW worked for all the others who tried it and now that is why WoW is no longer played by anybody.

God forbid anybody try something different from WoW especially when it has shown to work in their previous game.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Seems to me like you lack reading comprehension cupcake. You have not understood a word I have typed, so you’re no longer worth arguing with. There are quite a few “sky is falling” posts in this thread so to claim otherwise is simply naive. And you yourself said specifically that doubling your power was bad. Ok, yeah. I agree, that would be bad. But the reason I pointed out that it had not been stated anywhere that that was the case was because you did not state that. You simply said “doubling your attack power is bad”. It was a baseless argument that served no purpose other than to be dramatic (something you excel at, btw). So yeah, with that, I’ll take my leave of this conversation. Until you can grow up a a bit and learn to read properly, I’m done arguing with you.

You still don’t understand what ‘hypothetical’ means.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Guys repost this video if you’re thumbs-ing down this ascended stuff.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

GW2 is an MMO and if it wants to stay competitive it needs some form of progression.

[Citation needed]

This is actually not the case. Stat progression is only needed to appease a certain kind of addicted player happy, who wants to be able to beat additional challenge by gaining additional avatar strength and is afraid of content that gets more difficult without being able to make it easier by additional stats.

Essentially, your argument is that Simons Quest is a better game than the original Castlevania, because progresssion.

I, and many other people, say nope.
Stat MMOs are simply one particular model, popularized by WoW. They are not the only model. Monocultures are bad.

Leiloni.7951

Key quote here is “multiple fan sites”. Arenanet’s site just says that the items are “artifacts of great power”. That is not the same as “they are more powerful than your current gear”.

Well fansites was my word but it’s incorrect – they are actually industry news sites. They get their information from previews given by ArenaNet. The idea being to drum up interest in the new update. So yes, the information is reliable.

souldonkey.9534

You still don’t understand what ‘hypothetical’ means.

You never once said hypothetical before you posted wildly hyperbolic false information. So yes. I do. You just don’t know how to express your “hypothetical” ideas properly.

(edited by souldonkey.9534)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I dearly hope it’s just a “versus X” buff rather than forcing us to change armor entirely. Kinda like the Versus Demons +10% damage buff for swords in GW1 (But who actually used it in DoA or even knew it existed?)

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

This is the dumbest thing that Anet could have ever done. Seriously, what the hell are they thinking?

Wrekks/Wrekts

souldonkey.9534

Well fansites was my word but it’s incorrect – they are actually industry news sites. They get their information from previews given by ArenaNet. The idea being to drum up interest in the new update. So yes, the information is reliable.

It’s still not from Anet’s mouths, so to speak. It’s worded how the writers of those articles choose to write it based on an interview they had. The official stance from Anet’s website says NOTHING about the items being more powerful. So no. It’s not reliable, nor is it a good argument for the Ascended Items being more powerful replacements for our current exotics.

Levetty.1279

Watch your own MMO Manifesto again Anet! U break it now!

The game since BETA had armor and weapon tiers starting with the white colored armor, then blue, green, yellow and orange for exotic… they are just adding a higher tier than this. THIS IS NOT A NEW MECHANIC!

We have had this since beta…when I was leveling up I wore green colored items, once I reached level 80 i bought all yellow gear from the trading post and dungeon hunted to get my complete armor set which is one more tier higher than yellow, ASCENDED will be the tier after exotic.

A gear treadmill is when you constantly have to grind for better tier, you did not have to do that to get from whites to rare, obviously you had to do it for Exotics but that is part of normal character progression in RPGs. You work to get the best stuff.

Now that everybody has worked to get the good stuff and spent all their Gold and Karma a new tier is introduced and we have to start grinding out for that one. That is a treadmill. Don’t try and argue over terms you don’t understand.

Posted by: Khalisto.2615

Khalisto.2615

“This is a departure from the principle, that an improvement of items should not be in the game rather the exotics (and the more beautiful but equal legendaries) should be the end of the value-flagpole. Arenanet reasoned this change of course with the feedback from fans and players. The appreciation of equip is a big motivation for many”

ANET has not broken their promise, since the early days of BETA we have had armor/weapon progression in the game.

Don’t you remember leveling up and getting a “white” colored item and then doing a Heart quest and getting a “Green” item? from there you went to Yellow and then orange for exotic. GW2 already had armor/weapon progression guys! Ascended will be the next tier of progression.

What GW2 means when they talk about no traditional armor/weapon progression is that you can obtain the same item stats whether you craft, quest, purchase in the trading post or run dungeons… they will all be equal in power. Even the LEGENDARY are equal in stats as the exotic, just a cooler skin to sport.

Ascended will be the next logical tier in stats but I am sure there will be many ways to acquire this. Personally I hope they stick with Dungeon Hunting.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

You never once said hypothetical before you posted wildly hyperbolic false information. So yes. I do. You just don’t know how to express you “hypothetical” ideas properly.

No, you really don’t understand what I was saying.

souldonkey.9534

This is the dumbest thing that Anet could have ever done. Seriously, what the hell are they thinking?

You don’t even know the details so how can you say it’s dumb, let alone the dumbest thing they could have ever done? Dramatic much?

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Gotta love the pending blog – oh wait, still getting approval from upper management.

There has to be a dilbert cartoon that fits this sort of thing somewhere… /rollseyes

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

souldonkey.9534

You never once said hypothetical before you posted wildly hyperbolic false information. So yes. I do. You just don’t know how to express you “hypothetical” ideas properly.

No, you really don’t understand what I was saying.

No. You just don’t know how to articulate your thoughts to a written equivalent. But I digress. Again, I’m done with my argument with you. Feel free to continue thinking this is the end of Guild Wars 2 without having any concrete information on it. I’m sure that’ll work out fine.

Jestunhi.7429

ANET has not broken their promise, since the early days of BETA we have had armor/weapon progression in the game.

Don’t you remember leveling up and getting a “white” colored item and then doing a Heart quest and getting a “Green” item? from there you went to Yellow and then orange for exotic. GW2 already had armor/weapon progression guys! Ascended will be the next tier of progression.

What GW2 means when they talk about no traditional armor/weapon progression is that you can obtain the same item stats whether you craft, quest, purchase in the trading post or run dungeons… they will all be equal in power. Even the LEGENDARY are equal in stats as the exotic, just a cooler skin to sport.

Ascended will be the next logical tier in stats but I am sure there will be many ways to acquire this. Personally I hope they stick with Dungeon Hunting.

You seem to be under the impression that a game with progression has a gear treadmill.

You are mistaken.

Multiple tiers of gear does not make a treadmill. Adding new tiers above the existing ones so the people who had finished gearing now need to start gearing again is a treadmill.

You have to keep progressing to get back to where you were, at the top.

Leiloni.7951

ANet stated that once you hit 80 you would easily be able to obtain a set of max stat gear (Exotics). This is the “plateau” they talked so much about. They said once you reached this gear plateau and had exotic max stat gear, you could grind for prettier/better looking gear, but no gear with higher stats would be released. So they actually promised no stat progression/gear treadmill/power creep after you hit the exotic set. This Ascended gear goes against that promise.

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

@souldonkey
And thats what we hope for, that they are, indeed, not more powerful. If, for example, they had the same stats, but made them variable (ie: You being able to use this to get stat combinations currently unavailable or even change them on the fly) I’d have no issue with it.

People really are waiting for a)what this is and b)are telling anet exactly what their opinions are if it’s a stat progression.

Which people SHOULD do. If you ever worked in a company, you’ll notice that the HARDEST thing is getting to know what your customers actually want. It’s really hard! That’s why giving feedback is actually really important.

It’d be pretty terrible if industry newssites fail so badly at basic reading standards!

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

This new tier its not a problem if its:

1)the real maximum level of GW2 items
2)if it accessible to all in a decent amount of times (ex: no droprate 0.001% only from bosses, let the grind only for skins!)
3)if its accessible to players that dont do PVE and dungeon(to not unbalance WvW)

for the infusion slot, i dont know, maybe it will replace runes, and it will be fine…
but if its like a second rune slot, it can create a lot of mess with WvW players if its not accessibile to not hardcore players. (or player that can play only 1 or 2 hours in a day… this was the strengh of the actual tier sistem)

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

What is currently in this game is not a gear treadmill. It is just gearing up your characters. Masterwork/Rare are easy to get and then Exotic is what you put the effort into to make your character the best it can be. You don’t even need masterwork/Rare to get exotics. We have already put all our time end effort into getting Exotics and in some cases multiple set for different builds, thinking that will set up our characters for the all the new content they add, but now it seems we have to start the grind again for even better stats.

I wouldn’t describe the current exotics as a treadmill but there’s definitely grind involved.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Aaron.4807

You don’t even know the details so how can you say it’s dumb, let alone the dumbest thing they could have ever done? Dramatic much?

Not dramatic but if this adds a new tier of gear to the game then Anet basically added a gear treadmill to the game, which they have REPEATEDLY. let me repeat that, REPEATEDLY have over 5 years now told us we would not have to deal with.

So, now, here we are, staring down the thing THAT WE HATE and saying, “come on guys, this might not be baaaaaaaaaad, maaaaaaaan.” This is terrible, this is kitteny gear progression and artificial content inflation.

Not. Good.

Wrekks/Wrekts

souldonkey.9534

@souldonkey
And thats what we hope for, that they are, indeed, not more powerful. If, for example, they had the same stats, but made them variable (ie: You being able to use this to get stat combinations currently unavailable or even change them on the fly) I’d have no issue with it.

People really are waiting for a)what this is and b)are telling anet exactly what their opinions are if it’s a stat progression.

Which people SHOULD do. If you ever worked in a company, you’ll notice that the HARDEST thing is getting to know what your customers actually want. It’s really hard! That’s why giving feedback is actually really important.

It’d be pretty terrible if industry newssites fail so badly at basic reading standards!

Yes but posts like:

“Whelp, anet lied. Time to quit. GG guys, later.” don’t help anyone.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Not interested in gear treadmill. Please add NO more anet!

Whatever junk you add in this patch, people will work and then gear in max stats again, whatever it might be.

Does that mean in a few months we have to keep them interested again and add another level of gear? Due to your “feedback”?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I’m quite confident this assension has something to do with the new mobs they are introducing, somewhat muursaat like. And that the extra stats will effect only the lost shores zone and the dungeon vs these monsters. I also encourage armor that has same stats but 0,0000000000000001 chance to spawn a gigantic dragon to kill everyone in a zone.

But if this (unlikely) is the start of a gear threadmill, i guess this is where it ends…

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

This is a little concerning. It really depends on how much more powerful it is, but it sounds like it will be enough to make ppl go after it. This is more bothering because a lot of people have worked hard for their current Exotics and now theres a chance they are worthless.

It’s also very plausible the gear pertains to that dungeon in itself or Lost Shores area. That really wouldn’t be so bad if it was gear that would really only be useful in that particular dungeon.

We shall see though, it could easily not be as bad as it sounds. Previews always sound really bad.

(edited by Katreyn.4218)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

It’s still not from Anet’s mouths, so to speak. It’s worded how the writers of those articles choose to write it based on an interview they had. The official stance from Anet’s website says NOTHING about the items being more powerful. So no. It’s not reliable, nor is it a good argument for the Ascended Items being more powerful replacements for our current exotics.

Yes cause let’s forget that Anet linked these reviews on their twitter. I’m sure if Anet thought these were worded wrong or based off false information, they wouldn’t of had them on their twitter page. They were obviously approved, so it is likely to assume that the information is correct.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Jestunhi.7429

They made a lot of promises Leiloni, okay? Presidents make promises. Husbands and wives make promises.

Jesus.

What kind of logic is that?

So because someone who has lied it’s now perfectly acceptable for everyone to lie to you?

Jesus…

Levetty.1279

I wouldn’t describe the current exotics as a treadmill but there’s definitely grind involved.

Exactly, we have done the grind for gear don’t just put in another grind for slightly higher stats.

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

No, what I’m saying, Jestunhi, is that they failed to live up to their promises in the first place.

They are making up for it now.

Jestunhi.7429

No, what I’m saying, Jestunhi, is that they failed to live up to their promises in the first place.

Can you please link to the promise they made to have a gear grind in GW2?

The one which they failed to keep at launch but are now (potentially) fulfilling?

Leiloni.7951

I think you have it seriously backwards. They already lived up to promises. Adding gear progression is going back on that and turning it into the MMO’s we all left to play GW2 for. What promises are you talking about?

Aaron.4807

I do not intend to be dramatic with this post but it will certainly come off as dramatic.

If this is indeed an implementation of a kitten gear treadmill…

The day when my current exotic gear is not competitive is the day I am done with GW2. I got value out of it, but Anet will not get anymore of my money.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Metafrank.9017

Metafrank.9017

Reposting this, for great justice.

The Spirit of Guild Wars
† November 16th, 2012

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Jestunhi, surely you jest.

You remember the time first time you ever raided? I do. It was in Rift, a great game btw, despite the opinions here.

Though entertained with GW2, I have yet to feel that same intensity once during my leveling experience.

souldonkey.9534

Not dramatic but if this adds a new tier of gear to the game then Anet basically added a gear treadmill to the game, which they have REPEATEDLY. let me repeat that, REPEATEDLY have over 5 years now told us we would not have to deal with.

So, now, here we are, staring down the thing THAT WE HATE and saying, “come on guys, this might not be baaaaaaaaaad, maaaaaaaan.” This is terrible, this is kitteny gear progression and artificial content inflation.

Not. Good.

If they have repeatedly said that over 5 years, and don’t have a history of going back on their word, why then would you think this time would be any different?

Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi, surely you jest.

You remember the time first time you ever raided? I do. It was in Rift, a great game btw, despite the opinions here.

Though entertained with GW2, I have yet to feel that same intensity once during my leveling experience.

So by not fulfilling their promise, you actually meant “did not design the game exactly as I personally want it” rather than them making a promise and not keeping it?