Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Torres.2890

Torres.2890

Eventually every exotic item will be just your standard white/blue junk.

I’m dissapointed in this update. I’ve spent so much gold on exotics.:(

Baruch Bay.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

“The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative.”

What. The. Hell.

Are we not going to get an explanation as to why they changed their entire vision for GW2 for the past five years? This is not the game I signed up for.

So… what do you want to do at level 80? I just don’t understand. Orr forever? That’s not working out well.

All this is is something new. Like getting a free expansion already. Such overreaction from people.

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

All of the responses here reminds me of the tiered trait system unveil.

There were much more people in favor of the trait tiers than this…

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

Respect the player

We respect you—as a player, as a human being. This game we’re making may end up competing with your real life. It might fight for your free time alongside your friends, your family, your work, and whatever else you might be doing. Because of that, we want to give you a meaningful experience, not one that is a vapid waste of your time. Whatever your reasons for spending time in Tyria, we don’t want to waste it by doing stuff that isn’t fun.

That’s why we make our content epic. That’s why we have giant nightmare demons to fight, global allegiances to form, immense keeps to siege, and giant catapults to fire. Tyria is a place that will foster relationships with new friends, and provide you a rich experience to share with old ones. It’s our version of a playground on the grandest of scales.

Finally, we are building an online world, but we are always careful to leave space for its most important element, the one we designers would like to step out of the spotlight for: its heroes—you.

Purpose: To keep us honest.

>mfw

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Posted by: Svenn.5209

Svenn.5209

Anet failed to learn from other’s mistakes here. No only do they continue down the path of SWTOR, rift, aion, and others which have already been forgotten by making a wowclone “progression” treadmill, they directly copied a failed mechanic from one of the larger longer lived mmos: Lord of the Rings Online.

LotRO had a mechanic, Radiance, which was a stat used to offset a dungeon’s Gloom. This is identical to the Infusion/Agony mechanic as mentioned in the blog post.
Turbine eventually was forced to remove radiance as a mechanic because the players hated it so much that it was killing the game. The same thing will happen here.

After playing Guild Wars since the release of Factions, this really is a slap in the face. I have lost a lot of respect for Anet.

Edit: Just take a look at Turbines blog post about removing Radiance/gloom
http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1043-update-2-radiance-removal-developer-diary

This is the only thing that worries me. Gating content by creating a specific mechanic with a specific armor/infusion required to beat it isn’t skill based at all, it’s just simple gating which is not fun.

The stats on the ascended armor though? 2 stats is nothing. Since you can already complete all content in the game in blues I don’t see the big deal.

Svenn Ethir – Seeds of War – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As an aside, did anybody else notice this little snippet?

“As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).”

Complimentary Ascended and Legendary items? As in, we’ll get a FREE Ascended/Legendary item when Lost Shores is released?

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

“We have always worked hard to create a sense of satisfying progression rather than gear grind and this new item progression initiative is no exception. By adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players, we can add personal progression without making the game feel like an endless treadmill of gear that is just out of your reach.”

Can anyone explain this part of the post to me please? I’ve read it 5 times now and I can’t seem to understand what she is trying to say..

She’s trying to mask the gear grind in perfume.

Posted by: Elesare.5604

Elesare.5604

That blog just made me a long time gw2 player. Thanks so much. Theres one thing GW2 lacked is end-game, for us who like to strive towards more power. To the rest who cant or dont have time, then dont. You can still enjoy the game, my goodness…relax.

Awesome update

It isn’t a matter of can’t or a lack of time for a lot of people who have enjoyed this game quite a lot up until this point and were looking forward to continuing to do so with new content. If you would actually try and read people’s opinions instead of dismissing them and telling people to “relax,” then you would realize they’re trying to still enjoy this game. This goes against the spirit of the game that ArenaNet spoke of repeatedly throughout the development process. That’s the problem for a lot of people.

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

“We have always worked hard to create a sense of satisfying progression rather than gear grind and this new item progression initiative is no exception. By adding challenging new combat mechanics to end-game content and ways to mitigate those mechanics through gear progression for high-end players, we can add personal progression without making the game feel like an endless treadmill of gear that is just out of your reach.”

Can anyone explain this part of the post to me please? I’ve read it 5 times now and I can’t seem to understand what she is trying to say..

Yeah i read that bit and was just “erm???”, it’s basically saying we created something that isn’t a gear grind, but here is a gear grind.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Laef.4519

Laef.4519

She’s trying to mask the gear grind in perfume.

That’s what I thought, thanks.

Oops! Google Chrome could not find exitsurvey.guildwars2.com

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Disappointed. This new infusion slot system seems the beginning of an increasingly ad hoc gear system too many games have. Making more bonuses “baked” in just to make room for PvE specific upgrades is silly.

Worse, Anet is not even adding “challenge” to new high level content. They’re simply giving the monsters a new, more powerful attack which can only be countered with a new trinket. You either have it or you don’t. Nothing about skill or anything.

Its not even about gear grind…this whole system is just silly. Anet – you’re never going to please the full spectrum between hardcore gear grinders all the way down to casuals. You’re just going to end up with borked systems like this which end up pleasing no one.

This. I was hoping for dungeons that are challenging and difficult. Having a “special condition” that can only be countered by “special gear” takes exactly zero extra skill.

It seems like ArenaNet doesn’t know how to increase difficulty without simply slapping on more and more health on trash mobs/bosses or artificially creating “difficulty” by introducing a lame timesink like Ascended gear, which is simply “have this or you die”. Doesn’t require any skill or thought, it’s not harder, it’s just boring and means we get an extra grind.

Gah.

Personally the fact that they’re a bit better stats-wise is less important than the fact that it’s just a really lame design and means they gave up trying to make the TLS dungeons actually challenging and instead just came up with this artificial Agony stuff and the gear to counter it.

Every MMO that’s ever implemented this type of system has had to roll it back, because it’s boring and people hate it.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Putting my money where my mouth is, I suppose

It’s kind of a shame; this is the first MMO where [url=http://i.imgur.com/jTrv2.jpg]I’ve actually ended up with a whole bunch of stuff. I suppose I can’t say that I didn’t get my money’s worth. Still, this is a dealbreaker for me.

My post in the Account Issues forum, which I hope does not come across as ‘crying’ except in the most antagonistic reading possible.

In light of the recent announcement of Ascended gear to the game, I am no longer interested in playing the game. I don’t feel particularly optimistic that hashing things out and making arguments on a forum will result in a change that will make me feel more comfortable playing the game.

While I don’t want to come across as overly angry, petulant, or anything other than respectful, I would also like to register my intense dissatisfaction with the direction of the update in a more meaningful and concrete way than simply saying that I’m done and logging off into the ether. I would like to close my Guild Wars 2 account(s).

My questions are:
1) Can I do this by request, via a Support ticket? This is, I think, preferable for everybody than intentionally seeking a ban via infraction.
2) Two of the three Guild Wars 2 accounts that I own are linked to Guild Wars 1 accounts that I don’t want to get rid of. Can I ensure that I’ll still be able to play on both of them, after I no longer have access to Guild Wars 2?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Posted by: stefanplc.5234

stefanplc.5234

Free content being added slowly so there’s more stuff to do at max level. Everyone, HURRY! Quit! This is madness!

Matale & Sohpital – Warrior & Thief PvP
www.youtube.com/stefanplc

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

She’s basically saying that they are adding gear grind to combat gear grind.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Are they sitting in their studio right now reading this? Get off your butts and give us a decent response to this. Why did you bait us in with no treadmill but then folded and catered to the hardcore player base, which studies show is a small percentage of an MMOs players.

Seriously what is arenanet doing right now that warrants absolutely no response to this.

Sitting back, cup of coffee? Thinking they have done their good deed for the day?

“Mmmhmm, mhmm, yeah Bill this is good stuff. They are loving this idea. See? Great job content team, way to go. See, they love it..Hold on I’ll find a post…hold, scrolling through a few pages of negative posts, Ah heres one…”

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Poinky.3079

Poinky.3079

“As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).”

Complimentary Ascended and Legendary items? As in, we’ll get a FREE Ascended/Legendary item when Lost Shores is released?

No, they mean to compliment the new content. Ie, increase the stats again.

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

Dear all people who dislike this change…tell me how 2-5 stats will effect your wvw or PvE experience? By that mark why aren’t you complaining that legendaries have a 1 damage point increase on exotics…clearly that 1 point of damage is making all the difference.

Posted by: Angrec.6970

Angrec.6970

It was exactly the same as fire and nature resistance in aq40 and molten core in vanilla wow. Players hated it so much and thought it was such a terrible system that Blizzard abandoned it.

Not to mention them breaking their word from the manifesto.

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

They will give out 5 random legendaries so websites spread information on it so ArenaNet seems like this caring company, just to cover the fact up they suddenly changed the entire manifesto and core the game was build upon.

Marketing.

Posted by: Wreknar.5076

Wreknar.5076

Dear ANet,

I, like many others tired of the same ol’ MMO tricks, were very hopeful that you would hold firm to your principles set forth by your Manifesto so many years ago. We held firm in our faith that you would do right by your faithful fanbase. Over the last few months, we have watched you make concession after concession to appease the vocal minority set in their ways of what an MMO should be, leaving the loyal to watch in disbelief.

I, we, have watched long enough…you have clearly stated your intent showcasing this game as yet another WoW/Rift/LotR/DDO/blah blah blah….. clone. It’s sad really, you bring in an audience with one promise, then switch midstream, how long do you think you’ll last?

Do you really thing you’ll beat WoW at their own game, one where they wrote the book in? Think again.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

It’s not gear grind when GW2 does it.

It’s “satisfying progression”.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Yeah i read that bit and was just “erm???”, it’s basically saying we created something that isn’t a gear grind, but here is a gear grind.

Its more like “here is a gear grind that doesnt look like a gear grind.” I kinda see what they are trying to do, which is to make absolutely everyone happy. I dont think its going to work, though. This sort of progression will always be too little for some and too much for others.

Posted by: Dzoni.1082

Dzoni.1082

I hope that your developer team will re-consider this decision seriously and abandon it as soon as possible, for the sake of the game’s survival…

As for the rest of the community, i encourage you to continue on negative feedback on this subject. We, as players, have all the rights to do this, because we are their customers and we payed them in the first place.

Also, we can choose option to boycot their gem shop, as well. If they got hit where it hurts, they will re-consider those desicion as negativelly accepted!

As they stated, they are the company that listens to players. They should start acting like one, if they want the certain future of this game.

Posted by: Elesare.5604

Elesare.5604

Dear all people who dislike this change…tell me how 2-5 stats will effect your wvw or PvE experience? By that mark why aren’t you complaining that legendaries have a 1 damage point increase on exotics…clearly that 1 point of damage is making all the difference.

Try reading the countless replies before your own before asking for something that’s already been given.

Posted by: Arcos Cinya.8251

Arcos Cinya.8251

Wow.. I was not expecting the worst case scenario but it did happen

Wow.. I was not expecting the worst case scenario but it did happenGw2, against its own manifesto, releases a new tier of gear 2 months after release.

I.. I dont know what to say here… I feel deeply betrayed right now.

Same here, very disapointing.

Looked forward to the Event but now im not in the mood to play this game ever again if they broke their manifesto and so their principle.

No gear treadmill was the important fact to play the guild wars series for me.

And they promised more item progression to come…

So, no more money from me and maybe i can get a cashback for the gems on my account.

Leiloni.7951

Putting my money where my mouth is, I suppose

It’s kind of a shame; this is the first MMO where [url=http://i.imgur.com/jTrv2.jpg]I’ve actually ended up with a whole bunch of stuff. I suppose I can’t say that I didn’t get my money’s worth. Still, this is a dealbreaker for me.

My post in the Account Issues forum, which I hope does not come across as ‘crying’ except in the most antagonistic reading possible.

In light of the recent announcement of Ascended gear to the game, I am no longer interested in playing the game. I don’t feel particularly optimistic that hashing things out and making arguments on a forum will result in a change that will make me feel more comfortable playing the game.

While I don’t want to come across as overly angry, petulant, or anything other than respectful, I would also like to register my intense dissatisfaction with the direction of the update in a more meaningful and concrete way than simply saying that I’m done and logging off into the ether. I would like to close my Guild Wars 2 account(s).

My questions are:
1) Can I do this by request, via a Support ticket? This is, I think, preferable for everybody than intentionally seeking a ban via infraction.
2) Two of the three Guild Wars 2 accounts that I own are linked to Guild Wars 1 accounts that I don’t want to get rid of. Can I ensure that I’ll still be able to play on both of them, after I no longer have access to Guild Wars 2?

Thank you in advance for the help.

The line “This is, I think, preferable for everybody than intentionally seeking a ban via infraction.” made me lol. Thank you, after this dumb new gear update I needed that.

Posted by: DONO.8760

DONO.8760

Lord of the Rings Online tried this with their “legendary” weapon system and their “radiance” gear. Both were a miserable failure, though Turbine only admitted radiance gear was a failure. Agony sounds a lot like the radiance mechanic from LotRO, and these new ascended items that have upgrade slots…exactly the same as the less than fun legendary system in LotRO. Why is this turning into a gated gear grind?

Posted by: Dairdel.2849

Dairdel.2849

For those of us that already transmuted our legendarys with exotic stats, making the legendars exotic items,

Will our exotic legendary’s be upgraded to ascended items or will we have to find an ascended weapon to transmute again?

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

This isn’t entirely unexpected. I find GW2 to be an incredibly enjoyable game, though I didn’t buy into the marketing hype for the same reason I have walked away bitterly disappointed from other recent MMO’s – promises are broken. Rarely does a business remain loyal their cokittenget audience in the world we live in.

The thing is they have just under a decade of doing well by us players with GW, so why change GW2 in only a couple months?

No clue why infusion couldn’t just be a mechanic to mitigate Agony like it is for Spectral Agony in the first game. For some reason you have to boost the stats on gear as well?

But legendaries are OK. Good for legendaries, I guess. Everything else, here comes more impetus for transmutation stones sales…

I wish I knew. I can only offer a few theories from the perspective of a seasoned MMO player, but this…sadly isn’t new. I can sympathise with anyone who feels betrayed simply because I have been in the exact same boat back when WoW decided to cater to a completely different target audience, often on a patch to patch basis.

I’m not going to quit because of this, though it is making me want to invest less time in GW2. As it stands, I still think it is the most promising MMO on the market (though for various unrelated reasons I’m very keen on what TES: Online is set to offer).

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

It’s 2-5 stats on only 1 item. How many items can you equip in the game? Multiply that by 2-5.

Posted by: Everglow.2185

Everglow.2185

Got to say I’m incredibly disappointed with this. I’ve been following GW2 for about 2 years and there’s been no other game I’ve been more excited for and enjoyed more. The greatest draw to GW2 for me was the lack of a gear treadmill. Now in order to have BiS items for WvW, I’m going to have to grind dungeons to get this gear. On top of that, I’ll need to transmute it all again when I was told the exotic gear I transmuted would be the best stats I could obtain. sPvP players don’t grind for their gear, why should WvW PvP players be expected to grind more than we already have to for their gear?

There really is no reason why this gear shouldn’t have the same stats as current exotics. I suppose all I can really do is hope ANet sees how terrible a decision this is and makes the stats the same.

The Havok Legion [HL]
#magswag

Posted by: Ffolks.3708

Ffolks.3708

I can only hope that they decided to add karma recipes to the vendors so that crafters can create gear on par with these new ascended items.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Free content being added slowly so there’s more stuff to do at max level. Everyone, HURRY! Quit! This is madness!

As has been said before, new content – wonderful, bi montly gear progression – terrifying. Its NOT hard to understand.

Leiloni.7951

No, they mean to compliment the new content. Ie, increase the stats again.

No, that would be complement with an “e”. The poster is correct, with an “i”, it means free gear. Not sure if that’s what they meant but that’s what they wrote.

Posted by: Laef.4519

Laef.4519

It’s not gear grind when GW2 does it.

It’s “satisfying progression”.

It also seem to be only for their “for high-end players” and therefor “just out of your reach.”… lol

Oops! Google Chrome could not find exitsurvey.guildwars2.com

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Zanthrax: Compounded on two or three items. And then the next content patch..maybe another different set of items
Its not only the fact that theres increased stats, but its the tip of the iceberg.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Geddon Redmane.7315

Geddon Redmane.7315

So… what’s the difference between traditional gear grind and “item progression initiative”? Because they’re pretty much the kitten same, except the latter sounds fancier.

Also, I’m pretty sure the only people who approve of this update are the ones who complained about there supposedly being no end-game content and begged for Anet to add it in. Also guessing those are the same players who have logged 1000+ hours.

Posted by: Synitare.3176

Synitare.3176

There is no explaining that. It is exactly as it appears. Contradictory marketing bullkitten.

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

She is saying there is a happy medium…hardcores get their min max’ing to progress and get better ONLY IN THE DUNGEON IN QUESTION…why casuals aren’t going to get kittened over by a whopping 2-3 stat increase. Despite you casuals complaining…there will be no effect on you. If you are feeling you NEED to grind this gear then its your own mind playing tricks on you…The only thing that will happen is for those that want to experience the deeper levels of the dungeon yes they will do a LFM 3/5 ascended etc etc…but heres the kicker you will be doing the earlier parts of that dungeon anyway…therefore you will naturely get that gear over time so whats the problem…" Oh but I don’t want to grind for ages just to get the better gear to go deeper into the dungeon thats a grind "….then why in the kitten are you grinding the same dungeons over and over happily for a purely cosmetic upgrade…if this ascended gear comes in you whine because you feel forced to do it….if it didnt come in you would still do the dungeon just as much as if there was no stat upgrades for the bloody content and cosmetic kitten anyway…God friggin kitten this is the most pointless whining ever! Either way you going to be doing the dungeon…

(edited by Zanthrax.6538)

Posted by: Torres.2890

Torres.2890

I doubt that. Eventually, everything exotic will be your standard white/blue junk.
Like the post says, they’re adding more in the future : (.

Yet another gear-grind MMO. (I seriously hope I’m wrong, though)

Edit: Hmm what do you mean “transmuted our legendarys with exotic stats” ?
Legendaries already have the highest stats. Why transmute it?

Baruch Bay.

(edited by Torres.2890)

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Its too late for them to reconsider. They dont walk with us that much.

I will certainly wont quit the game for a small stat increase in just 2 slot items, but this new game philosophy will be an itch and a reminder of a broken manifesto everytime I play.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

More than 2 stats once totaled, combining all stats on these items and all the other parts. They are adding full set for this so +2 is more like +68 at the minimum which in Wv3 will make all the difference between victory or defeat. It’s not a small difference, it’s a HUGE difference once the full set is put in.

And I like to point out that now they have thrown the manifesto out the window, new gear will pop up every few months just like that other game. If I wanted a gear grind, I’d be playing that other game and not GW2!!!

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Leandir.4310

Leandir.4310

I guess I’m an old school RPG guy who isn’t bothered by needing some sort of key item to take on a certain villain. At this point I just see mass hysteria, constantly repeating “gear treadmill!!” like one massive herd. Take a step back, see what it’s like, it’s fine.

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

If the entire purpose of this new gear is to help us make progress through the new dungeon, why does it have to have slightly higher stats than gear already in the game? Why can’t it just be the same stats but with the addition of the new resistance stat? They could have easily stuck to what they said they were about in their own manifesto instead of going back on all of it just to implement a gear treadmill so the WoW kids will have something to gobble up unreasonably fast and then quit again.

Leiloni.7951

Its too late for them to reconsider. They dont walk with us that much.

I will certainly wont quit the game for a small stat increase in just 2 slot items, but this new game philosophy will be an itch and a reminder of a broken manifesto everytime I play.

It’s going to eventually be every item. Every trinket, gear piece, and weapon.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I read the lame post linked on the launcher. I knew the ArenaNet of yesteryear was already gone, this is just this new ArenaNet pissing all over the old.

First, it’s just dumb to have a dungeon specific debuff to base a “build” around. So much of being anything any time. Back to being what is needed.

Second, “slightly” my kitten I saw that picture of the two rings, that’s not a small upgrade. If it was, no one would bother replacing their Rare gear with Exotics before this. Take that one shot, double it for the two rings, add in the back piece…. let alone the “coming soon”.

At least they said Legendaries will get upgraded to match this new bs tier.

I can see it now: Get all the Ascended (wtf I already ascended in one game NCSoft killed) gear for this new dungeon, slot it for this dungeon’s debuff. Wait a couple months to do it again for the next dungeon’s debuff.

And we know it’s going to be a “grind” as they said all these new slots will be obtained from the Mystic Forge. So grind the dungeon for the stats you like, then grind a bunch more for the Forge recipe to slot it properly.

So, goodbye.

Posted by: Cercie.1025

Cercie.1025

I can only hope that they decided to add karma recipes to the vendors so that crafters can create gear on par with these new ascended items.

I agree there should at least be an alternative way to get the equivalent items. If it’s going to be a treadmill, then make one for the different players. PvP, PvE, Crafters, ect.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

You do not understand gear creep and tiering.
It starts with one small stat increase and then another and another and so on and so forth completely devaluing everything you ve done. While tiering separates the playerbase, locks you out of content and promotes elitism – all things we didnt want in GW2. Or should i call it GWoW2 now?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Diablo 3 2.0

I really hope anet takes a good look at what they’re trying to implement, have a nice long board meeting, and drop this initiative before more people abandon ship.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Lets be honest, the casuals are the ones complaining. They aren’t going to need the gear. The only reason they would need the gear, would be if they grind the new dungeon, and they won’t grind the dungeon because getting up to that difficulty would take hours to do, and thus become…..that’s right, hardcore not casual.

This is not about casual and hardcore, its about the GW way of doing things and the WOW way of doing things. You really going to call those people with 5000 hours of GW1 playtime casual? This does seem a lot like Anet throwing in the towel regarding their vision of MMOs. Its sad, more than anything else and doubly sad because so many people such as yourself misunderstand it.

Seeing as infused gear is in the original guild wars, it doesn’t seem like they’ve strayed of their course at all.

I have hundreds of hours of play, and know I will probably not get ascended or legendary gear. I already knew this. It doesn’t change the games playability at all. If anything it’s going to bring more players back. More players means ANet gets more money, which means I get to enjoy what I like about the game that much longer.

It’s only going to affect the people who get the gear, or are trying to get the gear in the first place. It’s not affecting the game for anyone else.

There is nothing wrong with adding in progression for players who want it. It’s not affecting the casual players, which is the stance ANet has always had. Power to the casual player as well as the hardcore. It’s only really giving an advantage in the dungeon, not anywhere else seeing as you can do pretty much everything in the game with any level of gear.

GW1 Infusion of existing high level gear was not a new tier of gear with better stats. The best gear in GW1 had the same stats for more than 7 years, still does. You really think just because it has the same name they are doing the same thing? This is a completely different design philosophy and development path. Its like This was made by a completely different company, how many players it brings in be kitten

That link, niether the video nor the text manifesto said anything about not adding more higher stat gear later. The closest mention is :

“Finally, since combat is such a core part of the gameplay of any MMO, we’ve put a lot of emphasis into rethinking combat. So much of traditional MMO combat is rote and repetitive. You execute the same strategy over and over again, just augmented over time with better and better gear. After a while it starts to feel like you’re playing a spreadsheet. Combat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceralCombat needs to be about making creative choices, and it needs to feel immediate, active, and visceral. So we’ve put a huge focus on strengthening our combat, giving the player limitless choices, and providing the thrill and joy of being in combat.”

This isn’t changing. Combat hasn’t magically become static combat because they added a few points to gear. It doesn’t magically mean you don’t have to dodge, or cleanse yourself of conditions, or get behind a mob, or anything like that. If you stand still you could have another 20 points to stats and there is a good chance your going to die!

Nothing in these manifestos has been broken in any way by adding this gear.

It’s still not about the spreadsheet, and the grind, it never was. You didn’t need to have exotics. As I’ve said before and will say again, you can do the same content in pretty much any quality of gear.

The only difference now is going to be the dungeon, and you will still have access to the ENTIRETY of the dungeon.

People seem to be missing this, but all 9 fractals will be available on lower difficulties, so Ascended gear isn’t needed to experience the content.

Remember the content itself doesn’t change the higher the difficulty gets, they just scale the mobs. It’s not like at level 50 all of the sudden there is a new fractal, that’s not the case.

The entirety of the game is still open to everyone at any gear quality, just like before.

It’s not going to screw up WvW because of a few points. If a couple stat points get players killed, then either the player with stats is really good, or the players dying suck. That’s all there is to it!

In WvW you can go in at level 40 with level 40 gear and be competitive, that is a hell of a lot more of a gear change than this minor stat difference.

Jeez I take my level 10’s in and do well in WvW. Gear really truly doesn’t have a huge affect on gameplay!