in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Joel.6587

Joel.6587

Could this means Cloaks?

Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Irrelevant. The problem is that Ascended gear defines a new maximum, which all content then has to be balanced around. The balance is restored to what it was to begin with, except that all Exotic equipment has effectively been downgraded to (what would currently be) a Rare.

There’s no reason to be accepting of a functional downgrade in your character’s power, just because some people are so lacking in perspective that they think standing still is an upgrade.

Posted by: fourpoundburrito.1698

fourpoundburrito.1698

In November we’ll unveil the first Ascended items. This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity and has slightly higher stats than Exotics.

Source: https://www.guildwar...-ascended-gear/

For me, more acceptable approach should have been as follows:

To bridge the Exotic to Legendary gap:

1. Introduce slots on existing items.
2. Introduce different upgrade components like runes that provide variety of effects, defense (such as KD resists, daze resists etc.) and offense benefits (Less chance to miss owing to elevation differences, more critical chances etc.) without impacting the stat numbers.

Why I hate this “slightly higher stats” concept?

1. It introduces power creep and way too early in the lifecycle of this MMO franchise. Given how old this game is, its like Nightfall just happened too early for this franchise.
2. The game is easy enough. Why would you introduce higher stat weapons that will simply murder the difficulty level of the current world mobs? I’d not even touch the issues that will impact the current dungeons. There are just too many existing already.

Why I hate this “Agony” condition?

1. Limiting this condition to only to the Fractal of Mists dungeon funnels the whole playerbase to one area/dungeon leaving the already empty world to its own fate.

Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon

2. It also marks the begining of the shift in the core of GW franchise philosophy.

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Yeah, more gear to grind to grind more gear! And Mudflation begins..

What probably would have been sufficient for now?

1. Add “Storymode” dungeon content where players could get infused, much like GW1’s infusion mission mechanic, without resorting to grinding new gear.

2. Improve availability rate of the Legendary precursors.

We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.

Then… work on to

3. Add more PvP content – formats and maps. GW is a great game not because it had great PvE Storyline or missions or had more mobs to kill. It is a fun game because you can hop in and do any format of PvP that you want without having to dedicate a massive amount of time to enjoy it even when many formats were quite difficult to master.

4. Rethink WvW and make it so that more and more people participate in it without being motivated to complete the World Exploration or to do monthly or to farm BoH by doing jump puzzles while enjoying the content without being killed by invisible enemy zergers.

I did not spend $149 on this game to master the art of out-gearing 99% of the population as fast as I can so that I can grind more gear. I am very disappointed that GW2 has chosen to become another gear grind MMO. Is this WoW 2.0 since there are no Guild Wars in GuildWars 2?

It’s really very disheartening that ANET has decided to yield to the gear grind philosophy of every other MMO.

One of the best posts so far in this thread. Merits repetition.

Pretty great post, +1

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Spend a week getting exotic gear. Good.

Spend a week getting the new ascended pieces. Bad

That about sums it up.

Let me correct you.

Invest time progressing your character until he/she is the best he/she can be – good.

Spend weeks grinding every few months when they release a higher tier, each time forced into a specific playstyle. Both factors being completely against what the game was advertised as – bad.

When it comes to adding new tiers of gear there are 3 possible options.

1. Don’t do it – game is targeted at people who do not want to re-grind all their gear slots every few months.
2. Do it infrequently – people who dislike gear grinds are put off. People who do only play a few weeks each time a new tier is added then decide there is no longer any point to play until the next tier is added, basically pleasing no one.
3. Do it frequently – people who like the constant grind to improve your characters stats are happy.

They need to decide who they akittengeting the game at, it’s as simple as that.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

The introduction of these asc gears is a signal that more tiers/more powerful gears will come.

So, no.

Legendary armor was already around the corner.

If they released legendary armor instead of ascended armor, would you complain about a quality that already existed?

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

Finally, it does not seem that there are plans for gear beyond this tier, so it’s not a treadmill.

Are you that naïve?

Perhaps he’s optimistic, as I am. I see no point in the excessive whining that currently permeates the forum – let’s ride it out and see where this goes. What if this Ascended Gear is the introduction into the endgame content everyone has been dying for? New, tougher dungeons, items to work for in order to become more adept at tackling those challenges, etc. The best we can hope for is that Ascended will provide this content and that their plans will stop there.

Besides, it would become burdensome if they had to continually create names for the item tiers in a way that progressively sounded better: Rare, Exotic, Ascended, then what?

Posted by: Valinerya.6713

Valinerya.6713

It wasn’t but a week ago I was extolling the virtues of GW2 to my boyfriend… telling him how GW2 wasn’t like all those MMORPGs, that I could gear up in exotics by crafting, temples, dungeons, etc…. that there was no gear grind!

I could also set a long term goal for myself and get a LEgendary weapon in about 2 years of casual playing. I was good with a 2 year effort, I could wait quite happily and slowly build up my resources for that epic day.

Now.

Now, all that is going out the window. Now there is Ascended gear, making all of those promises made by Anet false statements of hope. The ONE thing I hate about MMORPGs is the constant grind for better and better gear. It’s why I left my last MMO, and why I came here. Now i find out the exact same hamster-wheel is being applied here, when it was explicitly stated that this would NOT happen.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. I really wanted a place where I could have a shot to be on par with everyone else, and take on all sorts of content I would normally shy away from, due to the insane gear requirements I don’t have time to attain.

Looks like that place is gone.

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Anet got this wrong, the people they are listening to are not the longtime supporters of the original GW. Basically if you continue this course you can expect to lose the people that supported you for years and have been diehard proponents for this game. If I wanted to gear grind for stats I would have gone with the pandas!

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

I think it’s safe to say those content with the upcoming patch have no reason to post.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

We need a word from an ArenaNet dev on this topic. We need some explanation as to their thoughts with Ascended gear and their future goals. We need clarification on this topic. You have an almost 100 page thread and we’re not making any progress until ArenaNet engages with us in this conversation. Please.

Lol, they are too afraid to answer since they clearly want to turn GW2 into a gear grind game. Even if they annonced that like a freaking snake. And everyone ( except somes .. ) clearly understood that.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

Posted by: tkalamba.2541

tkalamba.2541

Legendaries are NOT better than exotics. They are the same stat-wise as their exotic precursor weapons. Get your facts straight. And people are concerned because this is only the START to the treadmill. It will only get worse here on out. We need to take a stand NOW before it gets there.

Lack of a treadmill was a huge draw for many of us. And it was a core philosophy from Anet that they constantly brought up. Now they are going back on that.

Straight from Anet:
http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success#more-8572
“Fun impacts loot collection. The rarest items in the game are not more powerful than other items, so you don’t need them to be the best. The rarest items have unique looks to help your character feel that sense of accomplishment, but it’s not required to play the game. We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional, so those who find it fun to chase this prestigious gear can do so, but those who don’t are just as powerful and get to have fun too.” – Colin Johanson

They still included items like the Tri-Forge Pendant from the get go…

+40 Power
+40 Precision
+40 Toughness
+40 Vitality
+5% Critical Damage
+40 Healing Power
+40 Condition Damage
+ Upgrade slot

This item alone already accessible from the get go and immediately provides better benefits than most items as it gives you ALL stats boosts. Didnt this item start its own precedent? How come no one ever complained? Sure, the base stats aren’t as high, but the fact that it benefits all the aspects of a character sure is an advantage. As far as I know, there aren’t any other items like it. How’s this one item equal to all the other accessories currently available?

Lord Lefteris – Engineer [Sanctum of Rall]

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

ANet has explicitly said that they have introduced this mechanic to provide gear progression. It’s not progression if it ends either: the next marginal stat upgrade will come with the next content update, and so on moving forward.

Power creep works as a self-reinforcing spiral — it’s not going to end once it starts. Basically, ANet is saying “We were wrong, a treadmill grind is the only way to keep an MMO limping along for more than three months, too bad to anyone who bought into our ~manifesto~.”

Posted by: dirtyklingon.2918

dirtyklingon.2918

“this is only the beginning”
-anet

who doesn’t love wow clones?

Crater.1625

If Legendary armour worked the same as Legendary weapons (hard to get, very fancy looking, exactly identical stats to Exotic armour), nobody would complain about it.

Posted by: Anjhouli.7049

Anjhouli.7049

“This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity and has slightly higher stats than Exotics.”

I read this and logged out. Lost all motivation to play. Will log back in when it goes live to see how it goes. Hope its not time to quit this game :/

That’s pretty much what happened to me – only it took me much longer to believe what I was reading. First it was “well, sounds bad – why would Anet do that? Maybe just an exaggerating journalist, who knows. There is hope.”

Well and then the blog post… and only then it really started sinking in. This change makes me sad.

Posted by: enos.1580

enos.1580

Then why did you make this thread?

—Arakny, 80 Engineer
—Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Actually, I do have a problem with new tier of gear. No space to put all these armors I’d like to get. There’s really no point having anything beyond a damage, support, magic find and if you’re into it, WvW set. That’s 4 sets of armor, which is 24 slots total taken up if you get a WvW set. Yeah, ANet, if you’re gonna add more armor, do something about the storage that doesn’t involve having to buy bank slots, because you can only have a finite number of those anyways. Yeah, I know GW1 was similar, but we didn’t have nearly the amount of items in GW1 that are in GW2 this early on. I bought one additional bank tab and its already full – I didn’t fill this many tabs this quick in GW1.

Which is why it would be awesome if the new Ascended stuff did not have better stats, but instead gave you the ability to “fuse” two pieces of armor into one. Resulting in two sets of stats on one piece of gear, where only one set of stats could be active at a time, and you could switch between the stats out of combat.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

Finally, it does not seem that there are plans for gear beyond this tier, so it’s not a treadmill.

Are you that naïve?

I believe the question that should be asked is: are you?

One tier of gear released over time that ends once you’ve equipped a full set is not a gear treadmill. If you honestly think it is then you’re not very experienced in MMOs I’m afraid.

Doesn’t matter since you’re wrong either way.

Crater.1625

Then why not let it end at Exotics?

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

Are you that naïve?

Obviously, I am. Until ANet announces another tier, I will continue to believe this, because there is absolutely no reason not to.

Why does everyone seem so quick to assume that ANet wants to piss of their players? Has anyone considered that this addition may help alleviate the massive zergs in Orr by giving max-level characters something else to do?

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

We need a word from an ArenaNet dev on this topic. We need some explanation as to their thoughts with Ascended gear and their future goals. We need clarification on this topic. You have an almost 100 page thread and we’re not making any progress until ArenaNet engages with us in this conversation. Please.

Lol, they are too afraid to answer since they clearly want to turn GW2 into a gear grind game. Even if they annonced that like a freaking snake. And everyone ( except somes .. ) clearly understood that.

Yea. I feel betrayed to be honest.

Posted by: MikeFish.2103

MikeFish.2103

The Problem is we as a community have made soooo many mountains out of molehills that they will not listen to us now they trully intend to screw the game up.

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

For a game that claimed to be grind-free or grind-optional, it has just introduced the ultimate in gear treadmills.

The Fractals of the Mists are designed to promote the dreaded gear treadmill. And this treadmill will NOT even give the sense of character progression that some want.

This is why:

1. Player plays Fractals with exotics, but hits wall at say, Round 5, because enemies are too hard by then.
  2. Player grinds for the Ascended rings and back item.
  3. Player plays Fractals, improved gear allows him to hit Round 8 this time. Player waits for other Ascended items to be released.
  4. Player grinds for ALL the Ascended items.
  5. Player hits wall at Round 15. It’s impossible to go on without better gear.
  6. Player cries for higher tier of items to continue.
  7. Higher tier is released, player grinds for them.
  8. Player hits wall at Round 30.
  9. Repeat crying and grinding and wall-hitting.

And so it continues. This is the ultimate never-ending gear treadmill. This treadmill gives you NO rest, NO satisfaction, because there is never a max you can hit until the next expansion, there will never be a time when you can face-roll and feel good about yourself. By design, the Fractals keep going. And you have to keep grinding.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

…*sigh*.

Couldn’t you just read up on what we already posted?
One of the major point is that by introducing item progression, they’ve turned on one of their design principles – incidentally, somewthing which attrackted long time fans an otherwise informed customers (you know, those among us who actually knew what we were getting into). We feel betrayed because it took them a whole 2 months to inch closer to becoming a generic WoW clone with regards to market positioning!

We are also feeling miserable because the blog clearly states that “This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.” – ergo those 2 pieces of Ascended gear are likely only the tip of the iceberg.

In the same line of thought, we feel like we are just no longer the target segment (after all of two months of enjoying the hell out of this game) – and if you start listening to the demands of people who don’t know what to do with themselves in this huge game world only 2 months after release, there’s really no end to it. Because those same people will feel bored again in no time.

The real problem, if you will see it this way, is the jump in power levels between the newly dinged lvl 80 and the one decked out in full Ascended gear.

Polka will never die

(edited by Frotee.2634)

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Are you that naïve?

Perhaps he’s optimistic, as I am. I see no point in the excessive whining that currently permeates the forum – let’s ride it out and see where this goes. What if this Ascended Gear is the introduction into the endgame content everyone has been dying for? New, tougher dungeons, items to work for in order to become more adept at tackling those challenges, etc. The best we can hope for is that Ascended will provide this content and that their plans will stop there.

Besides, it would become burdensome if they had to continually create names for the item tiers in a way that progressively sounded better: Rare, Exotic, Ascended, then what?

Dragonforged
Elder
Mistformed
Destroyer shells
Godly

And im sure there are atleast 20 other tier names that can be added and a thousand more invented.

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Why does everyone seem so quick to assume that ANet wants to piss of their players? Has anyone considered that this addition may help alleviate the massive zergs in Orr by giving max-level characters something else to do?

No? Why would it take players away from Orr. Players are farming Orr for money/karma.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

Posted by: Cyberman Mastermind.6012

Cyberman Mastermind.6012

I read this and logged out. Lost all motivation to play. Will log back in when it goes live to see how it goes.

You know, it’ll make a bigger impact if you don’t participate in that event – be offline, I mean.
Surely they’re tracking how many are attending.

(Of course, it’s easy for me, I’m not around a PC when the event is. Was sad about it before, now not really.)

So, ANet finally invented the carrot on a stick? how innovative…
PLEASE make this forum more usable. Don’t just warn AFTER the save, write somewhere
how many lines/characters are allowed.

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

Lol, they are too afraid to answer since they clearly want to turn GW2 into a gear grind game. Even if they annonced that like a freaking snake.

They are probably internally assessing this as we speak. They did not anticipate this volume of negative reaction to it. They had tunnel vision this whole time, listening to all the “Why isnt this like WoW? I quit” threads and thinking that its how we all felt. They’re dead wrong and went too far and too fast in the wrong direction. Now they’re trying to figure out how to backtrack on it or have their PR guys put a spin on it that will somehow calm us all down. But there’s no color of paint you can apply to a steaming pile of crap that turns it into anything other than a steaming pile of crap.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

Lol, they are too afraid to answer since they clearly want to turn GW2 into a gear grind game. Even if they annonced that like a freaking snake.

There is nothing to answer.

They have clearly told us they listened to people and decided this was the way to go.
They abandoned their vision of end game, of gear progression, and of the whole kitten game.

I tried to play last night but I couldn’t get into it. I am waiting to hear the answer to my final question, and then I will either be back in GW2 or looking for a new game to spend my time with.

There is nothing left for them to say, except:

1) Oops, we made a mistake. We are fixing it.

or

2) Screw you guys, we want a piece of that delicious WoW pie.

or, maybe…

3) This is not the beginning of gear tiers, this is just a one time change we needed to make to fix the progression from Exotic to Legendary. We were wrong, but we promise there will never be another tier of gear better than Ascended.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

imagine if this was a monthly sub game? i would love to see how many would have hit the unsubscribe button over this.

i think i would have.

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

Are you that naïve?

Obviously, I am. Until ANet announces another tier, I will continue to believe this, because there is absolutely no reason not to.

They just gave you a massive reason not to believe them.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

Posted by: cele.7398

cele.7398

On Nov. 18, 2008, Turbine released the first Expansion called “The Mines of Moria” to their MMO, The Lord of the Rings online.

This expansion introduced a new game mechanic, Doom/Radiance.
Of course, many players were opposed, and some kept repeating that it was not going to be as bad as it sounded like.

Basically, the endgame lair raid had 80 “Gloom”, a player debuff that directly decreased outgoing damage and max. health and increased incoming damage. The Gloom in the final stage of the fight was so high that players without protection sat at ~30% of their max. health.
The protection was called “Radiance”, a new player stat – 10 Radiance counters 10 Gloom.
Radiance was found as reward for doing the “cluster instances” in hard mode – every piece of gear had 10 Radiance.
Of course, the raid dropped two items with 20 Radiance. The next Raid that was released had 120 Gloom and dropped items that gave 30 Radiance. And Radiance armor, along with drops from the raid, was the best stuff obtainable with crafted items being on a poor 2nd tier.

Players complained that they couldn’t obtain the gear from the previous Raids as most raiders moved on – many casual guilds stopped altogether as it was simply not feasible to outfit all needed alts with full radiance armor.

The feedback continued to be negative, Turbine defended the system even when hardcore raiders left for other games and casuals had no interest in doing raids that are a year old just to see new content. The game went downhill, and Turbine, after a final decision to go F2P, did the only thing that they should have done from the beginning.

The Radiance mechanic was completely removed from the game.

F2P didn’t change much with the Item Store being Pay to Win and the continuation of the dreaded “Item Advancement System”. Still, casual players had at least the chance to see new content.

Many of us came to GW2 because Anet promised there would be no gear grind, no item spiral, and no Pay 2 Win. They already started to break their promises, three months after release.

So why do you choose to repeat the very same mistake Turbine, a competitor, did four years ago by blatantly copying a failed mechanic, Anet? Why do you cater to the needs of the tiny hardcore minority when there is no subscription fee that those players pay to keep on with their treadmill?

I am utterly dissapointed that GW2 is just going to be LOTRO reloaded. Item Treadmill in November, Item Advancement in December, Pay to Win probably in the next year. I went through that and came to GW2 to escape it. Where is the MMO that promised not to be an MMO?

Posted by: Zinthros.6589

Zinthros.6589

Go back to WoW.

No new tiers no way no how. Zero tolerance.

Varamyr Langkron / Kirk Vandergrift
Commander on Tarnished Coast [RE]
Greatsword Ranger before it was cool

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

I think it’s safe to say those content with the upcoming patch have no reason to post.

Other than to balance out the incessant complaining of people who are basically just guessing as to what this bodes for the future, and assuming the worst, you’re right.

Posted by: Guitarzero.8316

Guitarzero.8316

i never met someone from the future before o_O

Posted by: melchiz.7182

melchiz.7182

No point in playing the game until all of the Ascended armor and weapons become available. Dungeons, crafting, etc. now seem wasteful.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

imagine if this was a monthly sub game? i would love to see how many would have hit the unsubscribe button over this.

i think i would have.

If they said to us… we need more revenue and therefore will be implementing a monthly subscription fee INSTEAD OF a vertical progression…

I would probably log into my account and enter a credit card number right now.

Alas, that is not the case.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: iniside.4736

iniside.4736

In November we’ll unveil the first Ascended items. This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity and has slightly higher stats than Exotics.

Source: https://www.guildwar...-ascended-gear/

For me, more acceptable approach should have been as follows:

To bridge the Exotic to Legendary gap:

1. Introduce slots on existing items.
2. Introduce different upgrade components like runes that provide variety of effects, defense (such as KD resists, daze resists etc.) and offense benefits (Less chance to miss owing to elevation differences, more critical chances etc.) without impacting the stat numbers.

Why I hate this “slightly higher stats” concept?

1. It introduces power creep and way too early in the lifecycle of this MMO franchise. Given how old this game is, its like Nightfall just happened too early for this franchise.
2. The game is easy enough. Why would you introduce higher stat weapons that will simply murder the difficulty level of the current world mobs? I’d not even touch the issues that will impact the current dungeons. There are just too many existing already.

Why I hate this “Agony” condition?

1. Limiting this condition to only to the Fractal of Mists dungeon funnels the whole playerbase to one area/dungeon leaving the already empty world to its own fate.

Players will be able to acquire Ascended Rings in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon

2. It also marks the begining of the shift in the core of GW franchise philosophy.

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Yeah, more gear to grind to grind more gear! And Mudflation begins..

What probably would have been sufficient for now?

1. Add “Storymode” dungeon content where players could get infused, much like GW1’s infusion mission mechanic, without resorting to grinding new gear.

2. Improve availability rate of the Legendary precursors.

We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.

Then… work on to

3. Add more PvP content – formats and maps. GW is a great game not because it had great PvE Storyline or missions or had more mobs to kill. It is a fun game because you can hop in and do any format of PvP that you want without having to dedicate a massive amount of time to enjoy it even when many formats were quite difficult to master.

4. Rethink WvW and make it so that more and more people participate in it without being motivated to complete the World Exploration or to do monthly or to farm BoH by doing jump puzzles while enjoying the content without being killed by invisible enemy zergers.

I did not spend $149 on this game to master the art of out-gearing 99% of the population as fast as I can so that I can grind more gear. I am very disappointed that GW2 has chosen to become another gear grind MMO. Is this WoW 2.0 since there are no Guild Wars in GuildWars 2?

It’s really very disheartening that ANET has decided to yield to the gear grind philosophy of every other MMO.

I usually do not post on official forums, as these are plagued with whiners and idiots.. But I have to say two things:
1. I completly agree with quoted post.
2. WTF AN !?!?!?!! What happen tou your we do not rush things ? REally!? If infusion is not rushed, then I’m Protoss. It’s worst, and most stupid content gating idea (and “progression” you can think of. All MMOs have it (in different form, like Hit, Focus, or some other stat that physically prevent you from hiting mob, or surviving mob). And you know what ? it’s crap. It’s not diffculty. It’s not innovative. It’s easiest dumbest and most no brainer thing to limit content. Oh in subscrition based MMO it’s supposed to make players pay longer (for me it actually make me pay no more than first month).

In other words. I’m waiting till December and you offcialy acclaim that was very bad idea, you are sorry, and you are removing it from game. And replacing it with what the guy above said.

Posted by: RobinotX.1604

RobinotX.1604

I see much hate in this thread.

While I get some of you, I still don’t get what the fuss is about.

So we have a divided player base where some of the players like this change or are neutral about it.

Then we have the people who hate the change incoming and are bringing it up on the forums.

I say, good job. You let yourself hear to Anet. And with that, it maybe will have some influence on it.

But lets give you guys my thoughts, first and foremost. This is all my own thoughts, I am not attacking anyone. And I do respect everyone’s opinion.

Second, this is an appeal to Arenanet and NCsoft.

Please give a better clarification between now and few days before the patch. Right now, it’s getting out of hand is seems. It’s better too go straight to the point then let a discussion go out of hand.

Third.

Tyrians. Players. And betweeners.

We all have seen the incoming changes which will occur next weekend. Many of you are hating on it. Mainly because people are afraid of the future.
I know what you mean, what do I think of it? I don’t really mind the new dungeon. I welcome it. Am I an elitist hardcore raider who will pronk with is higher level gear? Hardly.

I just love new content. Guild Wars 2 is new and fresh. And brought me a nice experience. And still gives me one, even when they go to the whole ‘grind’ fest route of gear. I believe, that is not he point. I am on the wagon of, wait and see. Plus I have more things to do…

Guild Wars 2 is exploring. Is enjoyable with more people. You don’t have the whole, competition in each server to get a certain gathering node. You work togheter on every quest, etc etc.

The gear about cosmetics. And even with the new type of armor. It is about cosmetics.

You still can use your hardly gained exotic armor which you like from the looks on your ascended gear in the future. This ascended gear, which we only know some things of, has increased stats. I will be honest with you guys, yes even when I don’t care about the little stat increase. I still think they could have done it without it.

They could have mad it Ascended and made it so that it was the only thing infusable. Or make every gear now infusable which you have now and make Ascended gear the better one.

But I think it will be something on those lines tbh.
When you looked at the two pics, you see the Ascended Ring and the Exotic one.

The Ascended Ring also states: Unique.

What does it mean? Unique means, that it is only one time possible. So are those stats only one time? Or is the infuse only a one time increase and it can’t stack? What does the Unique mean? as far as I know I haven’t seen this kind of discription on any other armor in game. So it does mean something.

Still I know what you guys are scared off. But still, even when they are going this way. I keep loving the game. Even when I don’t like certain steps they take. I bought a game for 50 bucks and I get free content. When I don’t like it anymore, I just quit and come back in a few months again.

I loved the whole Halloween event. And I am waiting for the Lost Shores and Wintersday event.

Still I do hope that somehow that we can get some answers of Arenanet. Will it break it’s philosophy or is this really the last itemtype incoming? (TBH, something I saw coming already).

Plus people are also saying, I don’t want to level anymore.

You say what? Leveling is the most cool thing in GW2 I did tbh. I would love to level 20 levels again in new area’s.

Anyways, I hope ANET knows what it is doing. They aren’t losing me yet. I am waiting for the new cosmetics who are incoming. And more of the content incoming.

Anyways, I hope people can relax and just read my post and answer it. I do wanna know what you think what I just said?

I thank you all for reading. Even when you are against my way of thinking or agree with it. You are all thanked by me.

Kind regards,

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

i think i would have.

I’ve bought 80 Euros worth of gems since release – I can hit that “unsubscribe” button anytime by not buying any more gems, which I will do if they persist in this move to turn GW2 into another gear carrot game.

i think i would have.

If they said to us… we need more revenue and therefore will be implementing a monthly subscription fee INSTEAD OF a vertical progression…

I would probably log into my account and enter a credit card number right now.

Alas, that is not the case.

I would do that too.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

Ok, seriously, are those complaining also in favor of welfare IRL?

I habe a better question: Why are you for spreading hard drugs? Gear Threadmills manipulate your brain, akin to a skinner box. You aren’t actually having fun when playing them, you’re like a rat bashing a button, hoping for more.

GW2 was stated not to have this, it was supposed to be a non-crack based game. Why do you want to make it into a crack based one?

Are you in favor of hard drugs IRL? You sound like a drug dealer that supports mexican cartels to me :o

See how easy that was?

Posted by: Sleep.4731

Sleep.4731

nerds: give us more content or ill quit!
anet: here you go here’s some new places to play and some new gear to get, for free
nerds: wtff no gear treadmill or ill quit!
anet: sigh

Posted by: Zero Tolerance.1539

Zero Tolerance.1539

This is ridiculous. How can you scam people like that?

Any GW player will feel cheated – this game was different and made us stick with it for years because of those differences. Now you’re going to go the wow-clone way? And against your own promises/rules?
Anyone that spent RL money to turn into gems/gold to get max stat gear is going to get scammed. And in all fairness, basement warriors living on their parents cash might not care, but people that earn that cash will.

What’s the real story? Panda killed WoW and all the wow-kids are here now, so the client base changed and GW2 has to please the majority of the population – wow-kids? Is that it? ‘Cos seriously, if there is any non-profit reason for decisions like that, your team has lost the plot.
And if it’s based on the population shift, you should let your players know that there will be a fundamental change of game philosophy and anyone that doesn’t like it can leave already. Oh no, you can’t do it because….
As a wow-clone traditional style MMO, this game sucks (‘cos it wasn’t designed to be like that). And it appears that as a continuation of the most successful alternative to wow-clone MMOs, it will soon suck too (‘cos now you’re changing your principles).

Fail.

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

The introduction of these asc gears is a signal that more tiers/more powerful gears will come.

So, no.

Legendary armor was already around the corner.

If they released legendary armor instead of ascended armor, would you complain about a quality that already existed?

Legendary armor would match the stats of exotic armor, just like legendary weapons match stats of exotic weapons…so it would have been different.

They even cover that in the blog. They say legendary should always match the “best” items available, so now they will make Ascended gear (which is them openly admitting that Ascended gear is the new ’best" gear available).

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

They are probably internally assessing this as we speak. They did not anticipate this volume of negative reaction to it. They had tunnel vision this whole time, listening to all the “Why isnt this like WoW? I quit” threads and thinking that its how we all felt. They’re dead wrong and went too far and too fast in the wrong direction. Now they’re trying to figure out how to backtrack on it or have their PR guys put a spin on it that will somehow calm us all down. But there’s no color of paint you can apply to a steaming pile of crap that turns it into anything other than a steaming pile of crap.

There wasn’t that many “this isn’t like WoW threads” there was a lot of “why legendaries aren’t very legendary” threads though that turned into go play WoW threads. This is their solution to that along with the ad nuseum amount of threads about “where’s the end game”. I’m sorry people are having such a problem with this, but i’m pretty glad they have been listening. This is why i think they won’t be creeping gear over the years to come.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

I’m beginning to think that this thread is where to put all the criticizing opinion’s to ignore. Really not to thrilled about the increase of stat’s (aka new gear grind). I’ll play through the weekend to see how it goes, but I have a bad feeling about it already.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Crater.1625

I get that the idea of folding every side discussion into one massive, unreadable thread is a good way to stifle discussion so you have only one baby to drown in the bathtub, and everything, but this thread looks like it’s about to hit puberty already.

Posted by: BenABoO.4831

BenABoO.4831

I really don’t get it.
The exotics we worked for these last months are suddenly becoming second best.
How is that that is supposed to feel like progression?
How is that supposed to be fun?

I miss the good old ANet, and their GW1 philosophy.

Posted by: Zemarca.6218

Zemarca.6218

I am pretty disappointed with this. I absolutely hate grear progression, its why I dont do end game dungeons in other mmos. I play for story and experience not the gear. Even if I wanted dungeon gear it would be hard pressed to get it because finding a group for the specific gear you want is hard unless your in a dungeon guild. I cant even find people to do story mode with me let alone grind for the grear.

I do have to point out that I dont mind the infusion aspect of this patch its the stats that I dont approve of. They could have treated it like infused armor in GW1 which was applied to your character after you had completed a bunch of missions.

I was going to buy more bank slots and give a little back to Arena net but I think I am going to wait and see how bad this gear progression gets. For the first time in the 7 years I have been following arena net and the Guild Wars franchise, I very very disappointed.

Shame on you Arenanet, there are more creative ways to get a feeling of progression than this.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

I get that the idea of folding every side discussion into one massive, unreadable thread is a good way to stifle discussion so you have only one baby to drown in the bathtub, and everything, but this thread looks like it’s about to hit puberty already.

What they thought would be a nice censorship method will most likely reveal being their demise. 100 pages soon… please, keep on merging the complain threads to this one, it only increases their impact.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.