Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

Infractions are warranted, especially here and now. I have received one myself.

jboynton,

I expect more gear to come out in the future. I expect gear to get better because ultimately, how boring would it be to have the same gear stats, just different skins, even three months from now.

Let’s be open-minded.

Worked for 7 years in GW1 without becoming boring.

GW1 is not an MMO.

Posted by: Mexxer.5096

Mexxer.5096

so much for Guild wars 2 not being a grind-fest….the grind required to get good gear in this game is on par with Korean grind-fests

Looks like game really did fail to live up to the hype big time

Posted by: Keatstwo.1839

Keatstwo.1839

I got infracted for defending ANet and for saying it was nice knowing someone about to leave. Wow

On a side note: If ANet completely turned around and said “We were wrong, we’re not going to introduce this” it would completely make them look weak and like they have no conviction to what they’re doing.

To be honest it’d still look better than them violating the core principle of their game, something that sold it to many people.

Posted by: camoflaugz.5031

camoflaugz.5031

While the small group of people are crying on the forums the rest are playing and farming in ORR. Were farming for gear already so this is GREAT NEWS for us. Come see the truth for yourself @ Jade Quarry in ORR.

Yeah, hope you don’t get caught in a bot sweep. I don’t think I want to risk going into Orr right now. But good luck to you, grind on, grind on, oh brave MMO soldier, grind on!

Heh, I don’t personally like doing this but I just logged on to see what is going on and the truth is this is what people are doing. I don’t think they are bots either. My point is these are the players that like progression and there is a whole lot of them busy playing the game and not posting here on the forums.

The people in Orr are:
0. Not liking Risen.
1. Waiting or doing Balthazar for shards.
2. Farming/Harvesting for materials and item drops for money, since you need a stupid amount of it to be considered rich in an economy where gambling and trading post manipulation is encouraged.
2.5 Waiting for DR to wear off.
3. World Completion
4. Doing Trahearne’s Story

Either way their farming for something and obviously they don’t mind doing it. If people want to play the game how it is right now, then they can play the game how it is. Why are so many people so concerned, if you dont want to progress in the game then dont.. let people like me and others move forward. I doubt that any of us are doing this to say were better than other people, we do it because this is whats fun for us and nothing more than that. This patch isn’t taking anything away from players who like their jumping puzzles and want to roam around and stuff, just continue doing it.

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

As a personal plea, I would urge the moderators to think twice about wielding aggressive moderation tactics in a thread such as this. Tensions are high, though I’m not seeing much to warrant the deletion of many of the posts that are vanishing. I’d also like to point out that someone being blunt in their posts doesn’t necessarily mean they warrant an infraction and/or ban. Not every coats their words in sugar, so please respect that.

Don’t hold your breath, I got a post deleted because I used caps on three words for emphasis. So, the bar is reeeeeeaaaaaal high.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

jboynton,

I expect more gear to come out in the future. I expect gear to get better because ultimately, how boring would it be to have the same gear stats, just different skins, even three months from now.

Let’s be open-minded.

Fashion Wars! Everybody was a unique snowflake, except when they found it “too hazardous to be himself and far easier and safer to be like the others, to become a copy, a number, a mass man.”

Posted by: Bhelliom.5324

Bhelliom.5324

We all love a great infraction…. this is utter bullkitten but yet no response from the devs… Surely they will have finnished their morning tea with a good old morning meeting… or maybe they are trying to iron out the bugs for there upcoming patch… most likely the second thing as it is quite clear they do not listen….

However if they carry along this road i can see it going the same road SWTOR went but unlike SWTOR, anet does not have a big publisher like ea behind them and some other top ranked game titles…. At the end of the day its not my fault if some anet people loose there job as the game goes down the kitten…. I for one promise never to put another penny to this game and that will be my contribution… enjoy guys…

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

IOn a side note: If ANet completely turned around and said “We were wrong, we’re not going to introduce this” it would completely make them look weak and like they have no conviction to what they’re doing.

yeah and to seem strong they are gone to kill the game?

Yes we could tell you some titles that died in few months due to similar way of thinking…..

They already made a huge mistake, and no matter what they lost credibility to a certain degree
whatever they will do they will lose a share of customers…

How big this share will be depends on wich route they will choose:

pride or honesty?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

The thing you’re failing to realize is for every person who hates this, there’s a person who loves it.

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

jboynton,

Let’s be open-minded.

It wouldn’t be boring at all. It’s what I fully expected for two reasons:

1) This is the sequel to GW1, thus carrying many of the principles over, and that game was extremely fun. It also had zero vertical gear progression in seven years.
2)It’s what was advertised and stated over and over and over again throughout the development phases.

In all honesty the ones who are truly closed-minded are the one who think this is the ONLY way this game can survive and that it MUST be done.

Additionally, this game is doing fine. All MMOs bleed players. It’s the nature of the beast. Nothing, no matter what, will retain 100% of the player base from launch to closure.

One surefire way to ensure a quick bleeding of players is to alienate your existing, loyal, player base in the hopes of grabbing them from another game AND retaining them. No MMO to-date has accomplished this.

(edited by jboynton.7894)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Why are so many people so concerned, if you dont want to progress in the game then dont.. let people like me and others move forward.

This is a treadmill. You aren’t moving forward, you are staying in the same spot. Your +1 sword will not feel any different once you get to fight the +1 centaurs.

And for us that don’t want to “progress”, it’s because we recognize the treadmill for what it is : a tool that you can either sweat to stay in place or stop and you start moving backwards.

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

If Abyss dye was not so expensive, I would put it on all of my characters to signify their mourning.

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

Change the stats on the ring to…

48 power
48 precision
7% magic find
18 power
18 precision
infusion slot
—-

This is all it would take for 99% of the complaints on this board to vanish. By changing five numbers, I just did a better job at pleasing the community than Linsey Murdock’s entire team, and I don’t even have my bachelor’s yet.

As a loyal Guild Wars player, I implore you – let me keep my current gear and work for things to ADD to my arsenal rather than REPLACE parts of it. If I wanted to constantly work for better gear, I could do it a heck of a lot cheaper in Aion – which I left to try to get AWAY from.

At the end it is still the same. You will still have to replace the ring, because old ring with 3 stats is not the same as the new ring with 6 stats, unless Anet decides to rewrite the coding of all the old items.

My guess is, the main purpose is to introduce the infusion slot and the infusion slot can open a pathway for future dungeon customization without needing to ever increase the stats. Since you will be replacing it, wont it feel better to put in another pink tier with just a marginal stats increase?

The new ring also has three stats – power and precision are listed twice for easier comparison with the exotic ring’s inherent bonuses + gem slot bonuses.

Very few of us are complaining about the infusion slot as a gateway to new content – if people want that, so be it. What’s driving everyone stark raving mad is that any sort of stat increase has an effect on the rest of the game, from WvW to dungeons, making any old gear obsolete.

The same thing could be accomplished simply by lowering the stats to match exotics instead of fudging them forward on the first step of what many of us have seen, time and time again, turn into the dreaded “gear treadmill.”

My advice to ANet = Just mirror exotics. It will save you a lot of headaches and do wonders to patch the community’s damaged faith in its development team.

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

On a side note: If ANet completely turned around and said “We were wrong, we’re not going to introduce this” it would completely make them look weak and like they have no conviction to what they’re doing.

Actually, Loosifah, this fact is already apparent as they have already reneged on possibly the key component of the MMO Manifesto. Anet is already weak and lack conviction and if seeing a lot of core Anet fans say that hurts them then maybe they should really think about what they are about to do or maybe, hmmmmm, tell us exactly what they are doing rather than continue with this cone of silence.

Wrekks/Wrekts

Posted by: Booning.5476

Booning.5476

I needed to tripple-post, I am sorry, but there seems to be a new limit of 5001 characters.
Anyway, I believe everyone should and understand what Wintyre Fraust points to:
it is not very probable that – given how ANet claims their development looks like – this change was motivated by meaningful player feedback AND designed AND developed AND passed ANets extensive Q&A in 3 months.
This all points to a very grim possibility: that it was planned before release, completely against the Manifesto, completely against the marketing claims. It;s a sad thought indeed!

Please do realize that a fix for the Hatchery was postponed for 3 weeks before it made it to live (actually, it still hasn’t).

Unfortunately, it also means that Linsey Murdock and ANET are flat-out lying to us by claiming that this update was engineered due to live game player feedback. What a crock.

This is the first day since pre-launch that I haven’t logged in. How utterly disappointing.

Can’t bring myself to login either. It would be fascinating watch this pr disaster if I didn’t love the dam game.

Anet are acting like the daft bloke who shuns his mates and family to chase some npd piece of skirt that will use him then dump him.

Posted by: Freohr.7905

Freohr.7905

The thing you’re failing to realize is for every person who hates this, there’s a person who loves it.

Have fun with your two months of inferior treadmill model on GW2 before re-subscribing to WoW.

If having a bigger blob means victory then you will blob.
Sun Tzu said that, and I think he knows a little more about fighting than you do, pal.

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

Or, there are some of us who are sick to death of the paranoid hysterics, hyperbole, wailing and gnashing of teeth from the tin foil hat crowd and simply don’t care at this point.

Posted by: LathanHaiko.9182

LathanHaiko.9182

I take part in quite a bit of WvW, and I hate the idea of having to continually work on upgrading my gear. What’s Arenanet going to do to keep balance between those players who grind dungeons (or pay cash for gems) and the rest of us?

Here’s my suggestions
- Don’t increase stats, just increase the “infusion” for the dungeon mechanic
- Drop (or increase) stats in WvW to balance everyone
- Switch WvW to the same system as PvP (where you can choose everything separate from PvE)

Posted by: Sousuke.7268

Sousuke.7268

I do believe this thread is a clear indication that the numbers tip towards the “we hate this” demographic.

I already said what I was going to say about this move, now I’m just gonna sit back and wait.

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

I will be playing this weekend, but I will not be participating in the event. I’ll be going about my business as usual. I hope the boss doesn’t die.

Posted by: jboynton.7894

jboynton.7894

So who wants to take a list of all the people who are quitting Friday if they appear in game anytime over the weekend harasses them for being a hypocrite?

I vote you. It’s so important, I wouldn’t trust it to anyone else.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

Even if that were true, it’d still amount to a significant loss in participation.

But I highly doubt a 1 for1 ratio is remotely true.

Posted by: ChrisLew.5492

ChrisLew.5492

Have fun with your two months of inferior treadmill model on GW2 before re-subscribing to WoW.

That kinda nailed it. Why play a kittened, non-LFG, broken dungeon gear treadmill? That’s an exercise in frustration. GW 2 is turning out to be exactly like all the games it said it wasn’t.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Actually, Loosifah, this fact is already apparent as they have already reneged on possibly the key component of the MMO Manifesto. Anet is already weak and lack conviction and if seeing a lot of core Anet fans say that hurts them then maybe they should really think about what they are about to do or maybe, hmmmmm, tell us exactly what they are doing rather than continue with this cone of silence.

On top of that, the ability to admit to one’s mistakes is a sign of strength and moral integrity, not the other way around.
Turbine has done it with LotRO in regards to Radiance and they barely got anything other than praise from their playerbase for it. A move that probably saved their game, too.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

I got infracted for defending ANet and for saying it was nice knowing someone about to leave. Wow

Nope, not even close. It would regain what little respect their playerbase has for them now after this fiasco.

Sticking to your principles is a sign of strength not weakness.

Abandoning your principles as soon as some WoW fanboy kiddy comes along complaining that he’s not leet gearscored enough is very very weak.

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

I played both. I wouldn’t re-subscribe to wow because it would cost me money monthly. A slight gear treadmill is better then 15$.

Not to mention WoW is all about recount. If you aren’t on the top of the DPS you are kicked. I don’t need pay 15$ a month because i can’t dps the best.

And unlike the Fractals only hardmode requires the gear. There is no kitten gear level. So you can’t even begin to compare the 2.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

If Abyss dye was not so expensive, I would put it on all of my characters to signify their mourning.

If Abyss dye (and other useful and/or desirable items) were available on the BLTP for direct purchase there wouldn’t be a reason for this thread. A microtransation business model doesn’t work with crappy items.

Keatstwo.1839

jboynton,

Let’s be open-minded.

Fashion Wars! Everybody was a unique snowflake, except when they found it “too hazardous to be himself and far easier and safer to be like the others, to become a copy, a number, a mass man.”

I fail to see how quoting Kierkegaard makes my point any less true. People were perfectly content to chase after aesthetic improvements throughout the game’s existence. There’s plenty of other games out there for people who feel the compulsion to have constantly shifting tiers of gear to work towards.

Even if I’m wrong and this would in some way benefit the game it seems from the feedback arising here that the majority likely don’t want this. Hell, let’s not even get into how, if this goes through, we’ve been blatantly lied to. I see how you can be “ok” with this to the point where you’ll deal with it and move on, but I really can’t fathom how anyone could think that the developers lying to us is a “good” thing.

Erasmus.1624

I take part in quite a bit of WvW, and I hate the idea of having to continually work on upgrading my gear. What’s Arenanet going to do to keep balance between those players who grind dungeons (or pay cash for gems) and the rest of us?

Here’s my suggestions
- Don’t increase stats, just increase the “infusion” for the dungeon mechanic
- Drop (or increase) stats in WvW to balance everyone
- Switch WvW to the same system as PvP (where you can choose everything separate from PvE)

Would be cool if “infusion” was just a variable so you wouldn’t get kitten by S. Agony, like in Guild Wars 1. Would be even cooler if it was a sort of sneak-peak for the Bubbles expansion.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Starting for this thread people who hate gear grindfest are far more superior. Its more obvious because, even ppl who didnt event know a piece of GW1 came to GW2 because they said that there arent going to have any gear treadmill.

you can also find ppl who dont use their brain to not beeing able to understand what imply this kind of update.
Plus, many said “its only one ring”, i would say, learn to read, they said in december they want had a tons of ascended item…. ( weapons / armor.. etc ).

I Also suppose they start with only one ring to see how people react, a test to see if they can go one with gear treadmill….
In this way, they are “smart” since the stat increase dont look huge at the first look and people forget that many other powered stuff coming out later.

Anet really fail this move.

I’am also really happy to see so many people not liking this.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

I think its not so difficult to match with the ascent gear, the stats as exotics items…

Why arm all these gamers whitout even try to fix something.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: HTXL.2598

HTXL.2598

jboynton,

Let’s be open-minded.

It wouldn’t be boring at all. It’s what I fully expected for two reasons:

1) This is the sequel to GW1, thus carrying many of the principles over, and that game was extremely fun. It also had zero vertical gear progression in seven years.
2)It’s what was advertised and stated over and over and over again throughout the development phases.

In all honesty the ones who are truly closed-minded are the one who thing this is the ONLY way this game can survive and that it MUST be done.

Additionally, this game is doing fine. All MMOs bleed players. It’s the nature of the beast. Nothing, no matter what, will retain 100% of the player base from launch to closure.

One surefire way of ensure a quick bleeding of players is to alienate your existing, loyal, player base in the hopes of grabbing them from another game AND retaining them. No MMO to-date has accomplished this.

Yeah, if they leave. Because it’s still the same game, no sub, really. I’m sorry that a new item, one of which is debatable if the output damage is greater than existing items in game, has ruined their day.

I won’t reason anymore because it doesn’t exist here.

Posted by: Kingbee.4091

Kingbee.4091

In the blog post they said they don’t believe in gear treadmill in the same paragraph a new gear tier was introduced with higher stats. I’m just not sure why infusion wasn’t done without the base stat increase, seems unnecessary.

My larger concern is after only a few months if they are willing to make such a harsh change regarding gear stats what else will they compromise in the future.

Lastly, if we are indeed missing information still that makes this not a gear treadmill, then let us know already. As it stands now if you do the new dungeon more often, than another player you are then able to outperform them in open world pve and wvw

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

When i read these comments i dont know whether i should cry or laugh , honestly , most of you complain about people whining , about how Anet is catering to people that didnt play GW1 , yada, yada, yada, yada.
Who the hell cares about GW1 , this is GW2 .
The problem is that most of you who are defending GW1 , complaining about change etc, etc , must really be bored because you waste your time here on the forums , WHINING like babies , the game needs new content and the game needs changes , Anet has seen it and 80 % of the other players who are not posting here have seen it , so if youre not happy , go play GW1.
I really think that its the feeble minded that complain about something that has’nt even been exposed yet , so dont judge , wait and see , kitten how backward can this get!!

That would be all fine if this the type of content we’ve been promised to since beginning, but no, they always pushed the idea how they will rise above other MMO-s who have gear treadmills, and “eliminate” grind, THIS is the sole reason so many people bought this game. Of course we will feel betrayed!

I myself won’t speak too soon BUT, if GW2 fails to deliver what it has been promising us, i have little hope for any other future mmo

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Why is everyone calling the pro-treadmill people “hardcore”? They aren’t hard core one bit, they just want their numbers inflated.

The people who are actually hardcore are the ones that consider a challenge to be more difficult content and PvP… not “hard” content that is nothing more than the same old same old with bigger numbers flying around.

The accusations that we anti-treadmill people don’t want new content is laughable at best. We in fact want even more new content than any of these treadmill supporters want. I might be a little bias due to mainly being a PvPer, but I would like to see more difficult dungeons as well… and I would like them to be actually difficult, not some boring grindfest where “difficulty” is simply everything’s HP/damage numbers grow at the same rate.

Most of us here don’t want simple inflation, that can nullify much work we have done for our characters. Real progress isn’t telling us that all our gear, alternate sets, alts, etc are all obsolete… real progress would be letting us add to what we have already amassed.

Claiming that this fills in the item rarity between Legendary and Exotic is bollocks as well, since Legendary IS Exotic with fancier skins. And there are already plenty of very nice skins that are hard to get, but less so than Legendary.

Personally, the “no gear treadmill”, and WvW were the two biggest things that caught my attention, and what convinced me to make a big push for getting my friends in on this game too. Since release, we have had daily transfers screwing over WvW balance with the flocks of server hoppers… and now we have a gear treadmill in the works?? Many people, myself especially included, feel betrayed because THIS was one of the biggest reasons why we liked this game, no treadmill. Now I just feel like saying “kitten it”.

If ANet really wanted to add some dungeon treadmill for the group of people that whine about it, why don’t they just invent new statistics and make the gear otherwise inferior to Exotics? That way the gear grinders can have their treadmill, and it would have absolutely zero effect on the rest of us.

/rant

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

That’s a pretty horrible ratio, if half your players hate something. And this is assuming you didn’t pull your numbers out of thin air.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: MikeFish.2103

MikeFish.2103

I’ve been cruising fan sites and the consensus seems to be about 2-1 against the addition of gear treadmill, with the last 25% being unsure and will wait and see.

Some people will always love the carrot on the string. I spent a lot of time on my exotics and personally I’m kind of annoyed that they will eventually become defunct. I am stopping grinding dungeon gear as of now and will probably migrate towards SPvP where none of this matters.

That’s frustrating since SPvP will eventually bore me whereas the huge PvE world + WvW never would have. Nevermind.

Erasmus.1624

jboynton,

Let’s be open-minded.

I fail to see how quoting Kierkegaard makes my point any less true. People were perfectly content to chase after aesthetic improvements throughout the game’s existence. There’s plenty of other games out there for people who feel the compulsion to have constantly shifting tiers of gear to work towards.

Even if I’m wrong and this would in some way benefit the game it seems from the feedback arising here that the majority likely don’t want this. Hell, let’s not even get into how, if this goes through, we’ve been blatantly lied to. I see how you can be “ok” with this to the point where you’ll deal with it and move on, but I really can’t fathom how anyone could think that the developers lying to us is a “good” thing.

Oh no, I didn’t say you were wrong. I was just poking at how cool it was to be decked out in Chaos Gloves, bandanas, and black dye.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

So who wants to take a list of all the people who are quitting Friday if they appear in game anytime over the weekend harasses them for being a hypocrite?

Quit? There’s nothing to “quit”. There’s no subscription. I quit EQ, EQ2 and WoW, then played no MMOG’s seriously for 3 years because of this kind of kitten from developers. As disgusted as I am, there’s no denying that I got 440 hours of great fun for about $180.

I’ll continue to play – much less than I was playing, to be sure – but there’s no reason not to continue to squeeze some fun out of what I’ve already played and time invested when there is no additional expense. I won’t spend any more in the cash shop, and I’ll go back to looking for another game to play, but there’s no reason to not continue playing until I find another developer that offers what I want.

Sure, they might pull the same bait and switch ANET is pulling, but hey, at least I got my money’s worth.

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

I hope ANet pays attention to articles like these. They may ignore their players, but perhaps they will listen a little to the press?

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: Trakken.9872

Trakken.9872

Really great disappointment, I almost lost the will to play this evening.

bah …

Sorry for my bad English, unfortunately I can not argue as I would like, but maybe it’s better that way because of the disappointment I feel.

Posted by: universalcosmos.4286

universalcosmos.4286

I had been waiting for the famous post detailing the changes before I passed judgement, but I think now is the time to say something.

The post itself left me a bit confused. I get the feeling that most of it was written in terms of what was being added – and then, afterwards, the bits about ANet being aware that GW2 players (specifically) want to avoid grinding at all costs were added later on, possibly due to all the complaints around the web, including these forums, as a form of damage control. The end result is something that looks inconsistent, somewhat paradoxical even.

We’re somehow to believe that these new end-game content and associated mechanisms are not grindy at all, yet, we won’t have any other option but to do it lest we be left with inferior equipment. Yes, the stats are only “slightly” better, but they are still better – and this is a slippery slope for a game that promoted the principle that you shouldn’t have to go through hours of repetitive end-game content for something like this. The fact that Anet remains vague on what other methods will be available in order to obtain ascended/infusion items only reinforces this notion.

Plus, as someone who has played LOTRO for about 3 years, I’ll just say, as others have before me, that this looks very similar to ‘radiance’, which was introduced with the Moria expansion in order to counter ‘gloom’. You couldn’t enter many of the dungeons without it and as more and more end-game content was added to the game, the entry radiance requirements, as expected, kept increasing for the new dungeons.

Sound familiar? I’m not being over-dramatic. I’m a LOTRO lifetimer (i.e., I can play at any time without having to pay a subscription) and a huge Tolkien fan, but I left after Mirkwood. I don’t have patience for that kind of stuff. GW2 was offering me something new and appealing that was different from all other MMOs so I jumped into the bandwagon, but now it looks like ANet is trying to take that away from me. Very disappointing.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Considering that the change has caused BY FAR the biggest forum thread even seen on the official forums, that 19 messages on 20 are negative, and that it is still growing rapidly, with all due respect I think it’s safe to say that your 50/50 love/hate assertion is flat out false.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

So do I get this right?

The dungeons are currently bugged like kitten. I didn’t mind, though, because I knew that eventually they would be fixed and I’d simply enjoy them then. Arah not accessible most of the time and if you get in, doors are blocked. SE bugged 2/3. AC burroghs still not reliably hittable for my warrior. I could go on.

However, with the new treadmill, the dungeons will be obsolete long before they are playable. I won’t go back to enjoy them because be then they’ll be irrelevant. They’ll only drop exotic tokens. And if I get the exotic, chances are the next dungeon ArenaNet releases will bring better gear for the slot I just spent the tokens on. So why bother?

As it stands now, content will be obsolete before it’s even playable.

So where does the gear treadmill leave us? With a game that has no playable endgame. Well done indeed, ArenaNet.

Posted by: keeganrms.6301

keeganrms.6301

To those of you who are happy with ascended weapons – I am happy for you.

Lets flip the coin for a moment and look at my anecdotal experience as a player. I play maybe 4 to 5 hours a week. I love the game and I only recently reached endgame.

With my guild of 4 people, Dungeons are next to impossible without max gear, which none of us can afford. Legendary items are not even close to being obtainable and, at least with the endgame content, the whole “play how you want” philosophy has vanished.

I remember the challenge in GW1 was how to best tackle a challenge with the skills available to you. Since GW2 is less skill-heavy and more engine/environment heavy, I was hoping that GW2’s challenge would lie with how to best tackle a task with in a given environment and with the abilities you have. Instead, based on the endgame content and this new update, it looks like step number 1 to taking on a challenge (Making sure all your gear is max to avoid a handicap) is immediately out of reach for players like me. This isn’t fun. This isn’t innovative. This is telling players like me: “See this endgame content? Not for you!”

I will say that the mini-dungeons are loads of fun and my casual friends and I wish there were full-sized dungeons that we could play with a similar design philosophy. Puzzles, false turns, enemies we can actually kill, Jumping Sequences, Boss fights, chests. So much fun!

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I like this change exotic will still be almost as useful.

Posted by: Azoetia.2183

Azoetia.2183

The devs clearly stated that this sort of gear treadmill crap would not be a part of the game. That’s the thing that makes it stand out against the dismal field of horrible MMOs I have no interest in playing, and the primary reason I bought it. Violating that has completely killed my desire to play at all, and I won’t be spending any more money in the cash shop.

Can’t have just one kittened decent MMO without gear treadmill.

Posted by: zippo burntfur.9307

zippo burntfur.9307

My previous post got deleted because i used cap’s to drive home a point, so without cap’s. One thing most of us haven’t thought about is the new crafting material’s and 200ish recipe’s. Although i really doubt it, they could be recipe’s to make ascended gear.
I really have no objection’s to infusion or new gear, it’s the itroduction of a power creep that I can’t stand.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

We WoW now.

Seriously, anet, remove the tiers and go back to what worked in Guild Wars. No point in even coming into WvWvW unless you’re 80 with full ascended. You messed up by trying to cater to raiders when the vast majority of your population has zero interest in raiding.

GW2 isn’t perfect but it does have its own identity in an overcrowded genre. With every change like this it just takes one more step towards being another WoW clone. I implore you, don’t let that happen. You’re better than that.

Keatstwo.1839

jboynton,

Let’s be open-minded.

Oh no, I didn’t say you were wrong. I was just poking at how cool it was to be decked out in Chaos Gloves, bandanas, and black dye.

Ah, my bad. Well yes, there were certain “looks” that you saw everywhere after a while. I think there’s more variety in GW2 what with all the cultural armors and whatnot, but maybe after a while we’ll just see everybody decked out in cultural t3 and nothing else.

(Irrespective, I’d rather play Fashion Wars 2 than World of Guildcraft any day of the week, even if we all eventually sacrifice our unique snowflakedom for the safe homogeneity of black dyes and cultural t3).

(edited by Keatstwo.1839)