Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Greep.6394

Greep.6394

lmfo. All this thread does is show that people dont’, can’t read.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/leah-rivera-on-the-new-fractals-of-the-mist-dungeon/

We don’t need to use the new gear to run the dungeon. If we run it over and over and over, it will get harder. After some point, it gets so hard that you need the new gear to offset how hard it gets. By that time, people would have gotton the drops they needed. When a group runs it, it will never run harder than that highest difficulty level of a player has successfullly attained.

This only affects people who grind. Everyone else can do all the same content many many times at increasing difficulty. I don’t see the problem.

I can read fine, but you can’t. You do know they said they’re bringing ascended to WvW right? That’s my and many other’s reasons for quitting now.

The stats are virtually the same as any other exotic. There is no measureable difference to be seen in game, maybe a few percent. So someones crit will hit for 1030 instead of 1000 for a player with exotics. Whoopee! lol.

And you fail at math as well! The stat increase is a full 8%, meaning a very significant difference.

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m in the ’let’s see how it turns out’ camp, since we don’t nearly have enough information on how Infusions work ect (which makes a point. Next time you implement something, please make a detailed post on how it works first time around. You’re not going to keep everyone happy, but it’ll stop a lot of misunderstandings). However, no matter how it works, I’ll still play. The game is fun, and I enjoy it.

Now, they also said that they’ll be working on other progression systems. The ‘other’ in there suggests that it isn’t going to be related to higher stats.

Personally, I think they should have kept the Hunting Traits thing, and brought in Skill Hunting from GW1. With Skill Hunting then, you could introduce Weapon Skill swapping, so players could further customize their play style.

Maybe even hunting trait points for doing tasks related to a Trait Line. Give players the ability to research and buy upgrades for their skills to adapt their play-style (for example, Fireball splash radius is increased OR it applies Burning OR the range is increased).

They also missed a form of progression with the Orders choice. Rather than making you a high-ranking officer in the story, you’re a grunt. In the world then, doing Missions will raise your ranking. The higher your rank, the harder the missions become, you get access to more items, access to Order skills (PvE only) and you get a title each rank.

Talking about Rep / Ranking, maybe bounties for each area. Completing these bounties (with bonus rewards that add more rep) reduces Waypoint cost, and the cost of Items in that area. Maybe opening up more Merchants and recipes (kind of like Hearts).

TL;DR 1 – Write and Post Detailed Explanations Straight Away
TL;DR 2 – Try To Think Of Other Ways Of Introducing Character Progression That Doesn’t Require Increasing Stats

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

158 pages of people crying over stuff that is not even in the game to see how it effects…

Many of us have seen this process in plenty of other MMOs. We do not need to see it in GW2 to know what it does and where it leads to. It is well documented and there are many videos and articles about it even linked in this thread.
If you are uninformed about this, that is your problem.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Caran.3217

Caran.3217

Here’s what i’m wondering, when was this decided?, see the update comes out around 3 months after release BUT surely the ideas for the items got decided much sooner.

So was this decided before release or very shortly after release?. I see a lot of posts saying “this was put in after only 3 months”, BUT it’s more of a case of “did they plan this before release?” or “how soon after release did they come up with this?”.

I’d love to know, if it was before release then considering the info we got given in blogs/videos it’s even worse than chaging it now, and if it was shortly after release then it’s almost as bad as that as they decided to not tell any of us and let us waste time/effort/gold/real money on things that we had no idea would become outdated in such a short period of time.
-
Ask yourself this, if you had known a month ago (or at release) that a new higher level back item was on the way so soon, would you have bought the 5 gold back item or waited for the new one? (or any similar item that will be Ascended) – i know for a fact i would have waited as i only got my back item a few days ago.

A lot of people are in the same boat, and possibly way more than ANet realizes or the ignorant will even fathom.

Flushing one of the design pillars of the game down the drain, cheating players out of the soon to be ‘last tier’ armour they took time, effort and possibly real money to acquire, in good faith that this would be the end is like pulling the carpet, literally.

Posted by: Greep.6394

Greep.6394

8% is not significant.

Power precision and crit dam stats compound on each other, so it will severely imbalance glass cannon builds since the game was balanced around those stats being at a set level.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Here’s what i’m wondering, when was this decided?, see the update comes out around 3 months after release BUT surely the ideas for the items got decided much sooner – So was this decided before release or very shortly after release?.

I see a lot of posts saying “this was put in after only 3 months”, BUT it’s more of a case of “did they plan this before release?” or “how soon after release did they come up with this?”.

I’d love to know, if it was before release then considering the info we got given in blogs/videos it’s even worse than chaging it now (as we got fed false info from the get go), and if it was shortly after release then it’s almost as bad as that as they decided to not tell any of us and let us waste time/effort/gold/real money on things that we had no idea would become outdated in such a short period of time.
-
Ask yourself this, if you had known a month ago (or at release) that a new higher level back item was on the way so soon, would you have bought the 5 gold back item or waited for the new one? (or any similar item that will be Ascended) – i know for a fact i would have waited as i only got my back item a few days ago.

yup, id like to know their plans now, before continue (and im not sure to this at this point) to use my time in this game… I really like to know if the time i use to collect, kill, craft is used to make the best tier of the whole game experience or not , when i was playing WOW, i always know this, every big update, new tier, and in THAT TIME for me was fine, but now im playing (?) GW2, that is supposed to be a totally different game.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

Power precision and crit dam stats compound on each other, so it will severely imbalance glass cannon builds since the game was balanced around those stats being at a set level.

If that proves to be true, then it will be adjusted after implementation. Big deal.

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

For all the people who are complaining “GW2 is going against their word! NO! YOU CANT DO THIS??!! You are creating the gear grind you promised wouldn’t happennnn!!!!” Please think before you speak. It isn’t hard to obtain any gear including Exotics (apart from Legendaries which are only better cosmetically). It isn’t a gear grind. It’s just a twist to the game to make dungeons more exciting and add difficulty due to the “scaling to how you play” not the gear. The game STILL isn’t gear based, just skill based. . .

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/leah-rivera-on-the-new-fractals-of-the-mist-dungeon/

To make Fractals of the Mist even more challenging, every time you re-visit the hub, the dungeon scales up in difficulty. That’s right, a scaling dungeon! The dungeon will remember your progress, and will poll the party’s levels when you enter, scaling the dungeon to the highest common attained level. It’s a true challenge, but as you hit higher and higher scales, the dungeon will get more and more rewarding. You’ll have to have some serious skills and solid tactics to make it through these Fractals. After a certain point, our new Ascended items and Infusions become crucial tools for survival.

When a piece of gear, become mandatory to overcome even a tiny part of the game, you can say that the game is becoming gear based.

So? They make a repeatable part of the game content you will already have done a bunch of times only available to the very best players (or the ones putting in enough time, whatever floats your boat). It’s not like you’ll be missing something since going deeper will only be about bragging rights.

I’ll agree they could simply have made Exotics infusable though.

(edited by RamzaBehoulve.5640)

Posted by: Faze.6948

Faze.6948

8% is not significant.

You sir, do not pass statistics class. The margin of error determines the % significant difference, which is derived from sample size and sample variance.

In science 5% difference is considered the ‘magic number’, anything greater than 5% is considered big enough that the difference can be generated by pure chance is vanishingly small.

8 > 5.

Caran.3217

8% is not significant.

If that proves to be true, then it will be adjusted after implementation. Big deal.

Why not balance on the gear that is out there? Why add new levels/tiers of gear and balance afterwards, to add more and rebalance again… and again. Even less of a deal?

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

I think they should just scrap the entire thing, this whole thread is nothing but depressing and vitriolic.

Pulling the patch for now would be THE best solution at this time, but this would require ANet admitting that they majorly messed this up. Publically admitting to have been wrong takes a lot of guts and is something the vast majority of all humans seems to be unable to do, so I am not holding my breath.

But yes – delay the patch, remove Ascended gear from it entirely (and bury the idea forever!), work out new rewards for the new dungeon and then release when it’s ready. That would be the best. Right now we’re facing the danger of them releasing the patch with a system even ANet seems to have realized is a bad idea, only to have it somehow remedied later (making Ascended gear available outsides hardcore content, as their latest posting seems to indicate they would do) with a flawed result that would make nobody at all happy (hardcore players wouldn’t get their beloved gear treadmill and casual players would still have to deal with Exotics being rendered obsolete with all negative consequences thereof).

Why must you assume if Anet pulled the patch they are admitting of doing something wrong? I don’t see that they have done anything wrong.. You scream for challenging content, you get it then you complain about it, you get another set of armor to make you look cool you complain about it… That is what I see. If they pull the patch maybe they will be pulling it because there are too many ingrates on this forum. I haven’t seen so many ungrateful people in my life as I have on this forum. You know what happens to ungratful children? Well things get taken away and you don’t get anything else.. These people worked their butts off to give you content and challenging at that and you people just totally bash them to no end. Pathetic!!

Only those viral MMO swarms were screaming for challenging content. The “no end game content” whines that flood forums. And besides, a challenging content DOES NOT MEAN a gear treadmill has to be imposed. What is actually pathetic is calling gear grinding to be the challenging content. Psssh

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

Why not balance on the gear that is out there? Why add new levels/tiers of gear and balance afterwards, to add more and rebalance again… and again. Even less of a deal?

Because adding a tier of gear does not imbalance anything.

Posted by: Shados.1306

Shados.1306

Also to note is the effect on existing dungeons. The difference between a level 35 in blue/green gear doing AC and a level 80 in full exotic was huge. While i personally loved doing the dungeon at level, the game was full of people refusing to do it with anything but level 80s.

Now you’re significantly increasing the gap between the two. Thats not gonna be fun to watch. Once they’re done adding the rest, the old dungeons will have to all be upped (screwing over anyone without ascended), or be made obsolete/trivialized to anyone with the gear. Fun!

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

Except now those level 30s in WvW get farted on and explode.

If an 8% increase in a few stats is enough to cause that, there are much larger issues with WvW. Issues that are wholly seperate from this topic.

(edited by EverythingXen.1835)

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

8% is not significant.

Cool, give me 8% of your net worth.

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

8% is not significant.

How about if your boss offered you an 8% raise? I, for one, would love it! You know why? 8% is not insignificant.

Caran.3217

8% is not significant.

Assuming everyone has the new tier of gear in every possible slot, something called a gear treadmill which this game advertised not to have.

Furthermore assuming that stat progression is linear, which has been proven that it is not e.g. increasing damage output versus increasing toughness.

Game mechanics are more often than not very complex systems, where tweaking small variables can have ‘undesired’ results, hence all the testing (if a developers are allowed to take the time and/or beta test), hence all the never ending rebalancing in games with item progression…

I strongly advise you to do some in depth research, on GW2 mechanics and preferably other systems as well to broaden your horizon, before making arguments based on simple assumptions.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I am amazed that you are able to say something like that with a straight face.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Focksbot.6798

Focksbot.6798

I wondering how many of these so-called quitters will be there once the patch hits? I think most of em. Like in most games. People whine and say they are going to quit, then dont.

Anyone worth playing with will still be in game.

at least it will have weeded out the ones with special snowflake syndrome.

Whats that saying now. “When everyone is special. No one is.”

This is so backwards it hurts.

It’s serial gear-grinders who desperately need to feel special. They specifically opt to play games where best performance is linked purely to hours whiled away performing simple, repetitive tasks. Skill and self-confidence have they none, but time have they plenty, and so they toil away at the only task which they feel elevates them above other human beings.

Well, congrats. ANet or their management obviously want to keep you insecure little fellows on board.

(edited by Focksbot.6798)

Posted by: Synitare.3176

Synitare.3176

8% is not significant.

What a phenomenally useless comment. 8% is definitely significant, especially when multiplied 14 times. 8% is an extra 1200 HP on someone with 15000 base. 8% is an extra 280 damage on a 3500 hit. These are not negligible increases. 1% is not significant, and you know what? People would be just as pissed. The bottom line is that everyone that bought into their “manifesto” was unapologetically and blatantly lied to.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Some serious misconceptions out there.

1. infusion being the same as GW1.

This is false. In GW1 you got infused into WHATEVER armor you wanted. In fact you could get infused to the level 10 armor if you wanted to. The skill negation is the only thing that is the same and NO-ONE is complaining about that part of it. Its all about the fact that ONLY these new armors can be infused.

2. You can craft the Ascended armor.

Sure this may be true… but it will be very hard to get and rare (more so then Ori) or be reserved for getting inside the dungeon. Then you have to consider the recipe itself will be a rare drop and/or a mystic forge recipe thus making it about as hard to get the materials to craft as it is to just grind the dungeon.

3. It will be a one time one step progression to get those players that left because they were bored with full exotics to come back.

Very true, however if they have it available enough and expect people to be able to actually USE this armor to experience the dungeons depths, then those that grind it out quickly (the only ones that actually like this change will do so) will be bored again in a month at the latest and Anet will again feel the SAME pressure to create a new tier.

4. The stats are not that much better then exotic.

False, they are between 8-15% better. Which means it is now a new gating system. Exotics was already a gating system but since exotics were POSSIBLE to get for a casual player (i have played over 300 hours and have only 4 exotic pieces) it means the gating was not truly affecting players for long and thus it had limited issues to people not able to play the game. If the stats were not better by much they would not have had to chnge the legendaries. The simple fact they are changing legendaries to match means ANY arguement about the stats being about equal to exotics is 100% false.

5. This will keep people playing longer then just cosmetic upgrades.

False, this works as a shot in the arm. You can look at the expansions for other games for the true affect. The truth is it will alienate those players that stuck with the game, bring in a few for the grind… until the grind is over which will happen in a few weeks, and the net total is LESS players in the world and less people buying from the cash shop in the long run.

Anyone that says this is a GOOD change is simply trying to destroy the game. Beyond the “lied to” part the fact is if Anet is deciding to now run a gear treadmill game, they screwed up and need a LOT of work before they can keep people on the treadmill as well as games like Aion, Rift and WoW do. Those games were designed for it GW2 was not… like it or not, this is an all around BAD thing for the game and it will cause a large drop in value for exotics, dungeons will be even more abandoned, and the rich will simply get richer alienating the majority of players in favor of the “elite”.

Horrible game decision at this point.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Gronba.8621

Gronba.8621

8% is not significant.

What a phenomenally useless comment. 8% is definitely significant, especially when multiplied 14 times. 8% is an extra 1200 HP on someone with 15000 base. 8% is an extra 280 damage on a 3500 hit. These are not negligible increases. 1% is not significant, and you know what? People would be just as pissed. The bottom line is that everyone that bought into their “manifesto” was unapologetically and blatantly lied to.

Couldn’t have put it better my self

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

agony has been transcended..

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

Posted by: crewthief.8649

crewthief.8649

I’ll join others here and say that i’m pretty disappointed with this. I did alot of research on this game and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for in an MMO. I’m fed up with gear grinds in other MMOs, and ANet was apparently catering to my demographic (and the demographic of many, many others as well). And then this. After all their pledges, after all their talk, after their Manifesto…they pull this. We all know how this ends, if you’ve been playing MMOs for any significant amount of time. Yet another complete and utter waste of time crafted in the form of entertainment. Sure, you don’t HAVE to get this gear, but then, if you want to compete in the highest end content, be it WvW or PvE, you do. It is a gear treadmill, pure and simple. In fact, it fits the definition perfectly.

One question I have. With all the hundreds and hundreds of options available to players that enjoy gear treadmills, why must they always end up changing every game I seem to end up in?

I all honesty, this is probably it for me when it comes to MMOs. Folks, with this, I think it’s clear that there is no TRUE innovation on the horizon. You either enjoy this garbage, or you don’t. And if you don’t, then you don’t enjoy MMOs apparently. I suppose I don’t enjoy MMOs.

< JADE QUARRY >
Zabroshan – 80 Guardian / Sorroe – 80 Mesmer
Hands Off My Octopus

Posted by: Nymia.3256

Nymia.3256

8% is not significant.

How about if your boss offered you an 8% raise? I, for one, would love it! You know why? 8% is not insignificant.

Nice job you have there. 8% more money wouldnt change a single facet of my everyday life.

An 8% increase in stats isnt going to make a significant difference in GW2 either.

8% is a massive number for most people who don’t want this change.

Funny they would court you at the expense of us.

Posted by: Jasmine Maelstrom.3247

Jasmine Maelstrom.3247

I am the kind of player that likes variety. I really miss the multitude of builds in GW1. Heck, I took all 10 classes through every campaign and unlocked most of the secondary class skills on each of them so I could play anything anywhere.

I currently have 5 level 80’s in full exotic. Like GW1 this game promised to refrain from the gear grind. Although to get a legendary is a pretty serious grind, it’s stats match those of the exotics, so it’s really just a skin. I’m totally cool with that. Now the release notes indicate a new tier with higher stats than exotic on the way….

Would I have gone and spent the 30g or so on each of my toons if I had known you were changing one of the basic tenants of your game? No. As i did in Aion and SWTOR, I would have stuck with one main. One of my favorite aspects of GW1 was it encouraged alts. I really hope Anet reconsiders.

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

What instance in game will that make a difference? The situations where you’d live with that small amount of health/kill an enemy noticeably faster with that bit of extra damage are not common enough to claim they throw the whole meta game out of balance.

Im not going to argue about Anet’s “manifesto” which was never going to hold up in today’s MMO market. I enjoy the game on its own merits… no philosophies.

Ganzo.5079

some poeple just dont undestand that in a game, a mighty sword a horse or a castle: ARE NUMBERS! every thing of the game is a number.
number are not important?…oh yes they are!

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Nice job you have there. 8% more money wouldnt change a single facet of my everyday life.

An 8% increase in stats isnt going to make a significant difference in GW2 either.

Why does most of the WvW people have used consumables? It is way less than 8% difference in stats, so by your logic there should not be any reason to waste money on consumables since it doesn’t make any significant difference. For that matter, why even use exotics since compared to rares it doesn’t make that much difference. Why use rares, when masterwork gear doesn’t make any difference to rares. See where this is heading? Now you can say that I make fallacious argument, sure I do to prove a point. If there is possible edge to be gained, it is worth to be taken, your arbitrary limit doesn’t make it any less true.

[Hex]

Posted by: Siebenstein.1376

Siebenstein.1376

8% is not significant.

Go to your boss and ask him for a 8 % salary increase. Then come back und write that again.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

If 8% is so insignificant, then why add it in the first place?

I’d guess for the min/max crowd. Ask Anet. They could be the same as exotics for all I care.

Nymia.3256

8% is not significant.

I’d guess for the min/max crowd. Ask Anet. They could be the same as exotics for all I care.

Oh thank god, I had almost lost hope.

That is EXACTLY the problem.

EverythingXen.1835

8% is not significant.

I just dont think its a problem. And certainly not an issue worth quitting over.

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

I can’t even log in. Until we either have official word or official patch implementation, I am simply biding my time.

No. Interest. Whatsoever.

It’s the same with me, i was going to play today a bit, but in the end i just couldn’t bring myself to bother. The new info has really put me off playing at the moment – i’m not quitting (as i think “whining” is better than just leaving) but this change has certainly stopped me logging in since it was 1st announced.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

8% increase is an extra 100 damage on a base 1250 damage ability. It definitely adds up to a significant increase when combined with all other damage adjustments.

Posted by: OdinBudd.5298

OdinBudd.5298

We don’t need to use the new gear to run the dungeon. If we run it over and over and over, it will get harder. After some point, it gets so hard that you need the new gear to offset how hard it gets. By that time, people would have gotton the drops they needed. When a group runs it, it will never run harder than that highest difficulty level of a player has successfullly attained.

This only affects people who grind. Everyone else can do all the same content many many times at increasing difficulty. I don’t see the problem.

I can read fine, but you can’t. You do know they said they’re bringing ascended to WvW right? That’s my and many other’s reasons for quitting now.

The stats are virtually the same as any other exotic. There is no measureable difference to be seen in game, maybe a few percent. So someones crit will hit for 1030 instead of 1000 for a player with exotics. Whoopee! lol.

10 people critting for 300 more damage, 100 people critting for 3000 more damage. Whoopee indeed right?

No, no whoopee at all. 300 more damage from 10 players is still nothing to worry about. My health pool is around 18K in WvW. 300 points of damage equates to .016 of my total health. That means barely 2% of my health pool for those 10 people. The numbers are the same for 100 people, but then again, if you have 100 people shooting at you, the fact they are wearing ascended gear wont be the cause of your death. People need to chillax.

Nymia.3256

8% is not significant.

I just dont think its a problem. And certainly not an issue worth quitting over.

Well, if it is just this once to fix the overall design… I might agree with you.
If it is, instead, “just the beginning of a gear progression initiative”… you can’t think in terms of 8%. You have to think in terms of increase vs frequency.

ANet has stated this release will take 6 months. Worst case scenario is 8% every 6 months.

They are not debating this possibility.

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

10 people critting for 300 more damage, 100 people critting for 3000 more damage. Whoopee indeed right?

No, no whoopee at all. 300 more damage from 10 players is still nothing to worry about. My health pool is around 18K in WvW. 300 points of damage equates to .016 of my total health. That means barely 2% of my health pool for those 10 people. The numbers are the same for 100 people, but then again, if you have 100 people shooting at you, the fact they are wearing ascended gear wont be the cause of your death. People need to chillax.

You know that those numbers are pulled out of kitten (1000/1030), so you can’t really make exact calculations out of those to prove any point. If you wan’t to prove a point, then do actual calculations based on real numbers and present them.

[Hex]

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

No one knows all of the details yet. Man, people need to take a chill pill.

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

I logged on to give away all my stuff but nobody in my guild was online. Coincidence?

I wish i’d have been in your guild then (and online), you may come back at some point though.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

Nymia.3256

I’m perfectly willing to read or listen to anything that might explain them.

Where is it?

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

as much as i know this thread is being monitered how long before one of the devs decides to come and tell us, IN DETAIL what there plan is moving forward?

Posted by: skupuz.6940

skupuz.6940

Where is it?

Under News and Annoucements

Will be there on Nov 16. Now sit tight and kitten /p>

Ganzo.5079

we are all in the same boat:
before the first news about the ascent tier, you were to playing, using your mats, gold, real money because you were SURE that your set was the BEST one for you.(on skin and stats)
Play now, without know the future implementation of this new tier (if this is THE LAST stats tier or not) give me a feeling of “wasting”
wasting my time
wasting my golds
wasting my mats
wasting my gems…

id really like to know something about the future… but CLEAR NEWS! not some good post about good intent…we are full of that.

LOL

(edited by Ganzo.5079)

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I don’t mind the ascended gear. I would PREFER if they not add it (mostly for the benefit of the people who dislike it), but I don’t mind it either way.

That said, I like this thread since its a very very vocal and strong showing of what a lot of people want. Rest assured, Anet will most likely take this thread into consideration when designing future content. The fact that they have 2 blog posts about it already speaks volumes of what this thread has achieved. I think they’re testing the waters with ascended, since all you have right now are rings (the accessory with the least stats) and the back.

They see how vocal the players can be over such minor additions, and I think they now have an idea what to expect when they add the bigger stuff.

At the very least, they would have second thoughts about adding another layer above ascended.

Nymia.3256

Where is it?

Under News and Annoucements

Will be there on Nov 16. Now sit tight and kitten /p>

I’ve read everything there was to read. I have read multiple analyses of that information. I love this game, because of one very specific reason that is currently in jeopardy.

This is much like Obamacare – “we have to pass it to find out what’s in it!”.

In the meantime, I am just waiting and hoping that Mike O’Brien will come back from vacation and fire somebody who has horrible, terrible ideas. Or, maybe tell Nexon to shove it and let the market sort it out.

Either the company stays true to their vision, in which case I confidently pledge my time and game budget to them for the foreseeable future…

or…

They abandon their vision and become one more faceless, soulless game making megabehemoth that can’t seem to understand why every game they make fails to compete.

Posted by: Kejima.4613

Kejima.4613

ArenaNet failed hard in several ways.
1 – forgot what type of game they wanted and for which people they designed it.
2 – forgot what they promised the buyers with Manifesto etc.
3 – put a ‘Cloak of Silence’ over the whole thing until the update release was just some days away.
4 – didn’t try to inform the community with enough details about coming changes.
5 – try to sell new copies to ‘grind lovers’ to earn more cash.
6 – copy the boring gear treadmill from all the other games.
7 – betray their ‘grown baby’ Guild Wars by calling that game Guild Wars 2 but destroy the most characteristics which made it so successful for 7 years.

At least a small treadmill will definitely come.
The infusions will be some kind of treadmill.

It will start at blue(or was it white?) and climb up the ladder.
But what happens when it reaches Ascended or Legendary?
Will they continue to add Ascended or Legendary infusions which get stronger and stronger but stay on same rarity level?

After hitting the big wall of [Ascended Armor + Ascended Infusion] the only way to continue without following the – uild Wars 1 way of stopping at the maximum – will be to add a higher tier of armor and infusion.
And we arrived at the next step of the gear treadmill by just starting at increasing the power and rarity level of infusions.

The big problem starts yet.
There is no space to start at the bottom of the ladder again.
So each new step will bring a tier of gear and infusion.

I cannot see another future for Guild Wars 2 if they will bring that update live.

So good bye to the community – was a short time. Shorter than I expected after all these years of Guild Wars 1. And with too many bugs for a release of a game(Necromancers for example had ~25% of the traits which were shown on the trait trees – rest didn’t work) but still worth it with my guild.

Kejima – Isuke Kejima(GW1)

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

sigh, so all the time i spent grinding for mats and gold i spent to craft/buy exotics for my 4 toons was pretty much a waste.

guess we’re going to be chasing the carrot after all.

Posted by: kistell.5684

kistell.5684

8% is not significant.

Wait, what? Say you make $2000 a month (which is pretty low, but just follow me). You’re saying that close to a $150 raise wouldn’t make a difference to you? Man, i’m in the wrong business apparently.

My budget is of no consequence to this discussion. There’s a reason a non-sub game is an important factor for me. I provide for my family first.

I think you missed the point. It was an easy way to express the significance of 8%.

In real life. Can you give me an in game example?

The great barrier reef contains 8% of the the worlds fish species that’s a lot gone if it was nuked

The surface of the Planet earth humans only occupy 3% of it.

8% increase in stats is pretty significant even if it looks a small amount.