Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Since the other thread got deleted:

Ascended is a tier that existed in GW1.

Wrong. Infusion in GW1 worked like a flag you put on gear you already had to get easier access to certain content. You could flag any gear you wanted as infused and it was not difficult to accomplish.

They will include it sooner or later. If they included it, they will have to put it in-between 2 tiers right? Either between “White and Blue”, “Blue and Green”, “Green and Yellow”, “Yellow and Orange”, “Orange and Purple”.

No, they could just have implemented it as a prefix that can be attached to the gear you are currently wearing. No stat changes needed.

What if ascended tier already existed during the August 25th launch?

Then I wouldn’t have complained cause I would have known it up front an not wasted gold, karma, ingredients and transmutation stones on exotics. And I most certainly wouldn’t have gotten multiple sets of exotics to try different builds.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Shindar the Reaver.2518

Shindar the Reaver.2518

Put in more of a stat based gear grind and GW2 just becomes a pretty version of every other MMO, but with a poor targeting system, subpar WvW, and most importantly, organized PvP which is vastly inferior to that in every MMO I have ever tried.

I bought this game believing that max stats would be easy to obtain, as promised, and as seen in history through GW1. If I wanted a stat based gear grind, there are plenty of other MMO’s with MUCH better systems surrounding that grind than GW2 has. I would never have purchased GW2.

There are two things that brought me to this game. Ease of max stats, and a belief that PvP would be as satisfying and have as much variety as GW1. PvP has already been a HUGE disappointment. Now the last thread of quality has been snipped from this game. What motivation do I have to continue playing this, if these changes go through?

None.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

You know, I won’t be anywhere near angry if you delay this update and do it right.

1. If you want to increase the stats, make a new system so that it only works IN THIS dungeon.

or

2. Make ascended gear have the same stats as exotics and legendaries, make ascended gear have a new slot (without runes, and with infusion slot, so that you can keep that Agony thing)

or

3. Add the infusion slot to all the gear items, exotics, legendaries, ascended. Same stats all of them, with the posibility of adding runes in all of them, making ascended gear AN OPTION and NOT A REQUIREMENT, this would make ascended gear a new skin basically WHICH I would love – this option is the best…

Delay the patch seriously, you promised this wouldn’t happen for FIVE YEARS, not one, not two, FIVE, and then what happens after 3 months of the release?, you break your own manifesto and promises? What a shame, never thought ArenaNet would do something like that… just feels wrong.

And please, people, don’t come with your WoW or TLOTR comments about this is needed, that there’s no content, that progression is needed, if you really are bored after 3 months of the release, you shouldn’t have bought Guild Wars 2 in the first place if you knew what Guild Wars was all about… go back to those games you like and leave THIS ONE AS IS, since MOST PEOPLE enjoy it the way it is now.

And don’t tell me I am casual because I play mostly every day for over 10 hours, and YET I have things to do, titles to achieve, dungeons to do, classes to test, tournaments to join, break some heads in WvW and much much MUUUUCH more. So stop asking for a raid, GW2 should never be WoW, noooooo!.

(edited by Yamiino.1827)

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

All transmutation stones used on items that players thought were top tier will be wasted, because they now need a new tier to have maxed armor and use more transmutation stones.

It’s doubtful that most players would feel those transmutation stones were wasted at the time in which they were consumed. Those transmutation stones cannot be recovered; so, why waste the effort thinking about them.

WvW uses pve gear so all sets of max level exotic gear will be trash and WvW players will have to farm new armor.

WvW players will simply be in the same boat that other pve players in that they have better chances than those with non-exotic sets to gain new armor.

I just noticed that the few people on here defending and calling concerns QQing have only posted in this thread… as if the account is new… and if you point that out the post is somehow deleted… hmmm…

Seems like your posts are still there.

The point is that they are losing out on transmutation stones, which is real money, and they are losing max level gear, because it will no longer be max level gear. I am only answering what they are losing because the question was asked.

It would be funny to be the guy that made a bunch of exotic gear sets and used transmutation stones JUST BEFORE lost shores new tier info came out. That would be comedy.

My posts are not all there. Some were totally deleted as if they never existed. Unless they were deleted and I am the only one who can not see them because of some bug. Either way it does not matter, not really that important lol.

Posted by: JJGlyph.9746

JJGlyph.9746

Even if they don’t introduce more progression this is a kick in the nuts. Most players have been spending their time & gold on gearing up characters with exotics. I have 3 lvl 80s with full exotics. If I had known they were going to pull this, I would have never spent my time & gold on it.

The promise was that max gear would stay max gear, just like in GW1. Feel a bit betrayed. Especially because of the timing. Three months after launch is a terrible time to introduce a new tier of gear. “surprise, butt secks” pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: Archmagel.1350

Archmagel.1350

Even if they don’t introduce more progression this is a kick in the nuts. Most players have been spending their time & gold on gearing up characters with exotics. I have 3 lvl 80s with full exotics. If I had known they were going to pull this, I would have never spent my time & gold on it.

The promise was that max gear would stay max gear, just like in GW1. Feel a bit betrayed. Especially because of the timing. Three months after launch is a terrible time to introduce a new tier of gear. “surprise, butt secks” pretty much sums it up.

It’s ok. They are going to throw confetti and yell “Surprise!”.

Back to topic again, just going to say, “LF1M must be lvl80 with full Ai. Link armor in pst.”. This is gating. No matter that you can do the dungeon in exotics first. Sooner or later you must have the Ai to survive. This should have been more of a test for skill, not “Let’s add this system and make everyone have to wear this armor so they can be back on a level playing field again”. Where is the challenge!? It isn’t a challenge, it is just grinding to get more gear. Gear is not character progression.

Fort Aspenwood~ Archmage Logan(80 Necro)
(“Big Hat”)Praise the Sun!

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

All transmutation stones used on items that players thought were top tier will be wasted, because they now need a new tier to have maxed armor and use more transmutation stones.

It’s doubtful that most players would feel those transmutation stones were wasted at the time in which they were consumed. Those transmutation stones cannot be recovered; so, why waste the effort thinking about them.

WvW uses pve gear so all sets of max level exotic gear will be trash and WvW players will have to farm new armor.

WvW players will simply be in the same boat that other pve players in that they have better chances than those with non-exotic sets to gain new armor.

I just noticed that the few people on here defending and calling concerns QQing have only posted in this thread… as if the account is new… and if you point that out the post is somehow deleted… hmmm…

The point is that they are losing out on transmutation stones, which is real money, and they are losing max level gear, because it will no longer be max level gear. I am only answering what they are losing because the question was asked.

It would be funny to be the guy that made a bunch of exotic gear sets and used transmutation stones JUST BEFORE lost shores new tier info came out. That would be comedy.

My posts are not all there. Some were totally deleted as if they never existed. Unless they were deleted and I am the only one who can not see them because of some bug. Either way it does not matter, not really that important lol.

Actually until they launch the armor and weapons its not that big of a deal. I just applyed my t3 culture to my exotics because frankly we dont know when the armor will be added in.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I find it quite funny that some people don’t understand that exotics and legendaries are statistically equivalent today. They then proceed to deride the rest of us for lacking comprehension that this new gear is BETWEEN EXOTICS AND LEGENDARIES. Lol. DId you miss the point that this means that they are now beefing up legendaries by 8-15%, making legendaries mandatory grinds too!??

Dude, they have already stated that legendary equipment will have stat boosts in the future. Where have you been.

That’s what Columba said, and it’s part of the problem.

I don’t want any new gear, ever, to be better than existing Exotics. Fill out more Exotics and add new cosmetic Mystic Forge recipe uniques and Legendaries, but only at the same statistical power level as Exotics. Never, ever higher.

Umm, until now, I never HAD to get legendaries. I never plan to do so either, but now I am forced to grind for them or run dungeons, neither of which appeal to me.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Kingbee.4091

Kingbee.4091

You can call it “progression” all you want it’s still a gear treadmill obviously the player retention isn’t where it needs to be from a financial perspective. It’s their game they can change course and philosophy as they see fit, and as a profit based company they have a duty to do their best to be profitable.

Gear progression isn’t what motivates me in fact, its a turn off. I will continue to play as long as it’s fun for me, but I no longer trust Arenanet to adhere to their manifesto, anything they say now or have said is dubious at best. I’ve certainly gotten my money’s worth of enjoyment up to this point so I can’t complain too much. Going forward I won’t be using the gem store, as I don’t feel comfortable with the new direction of the game.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I find it quite funny that some people don’t understand that exotics and legendaries are statistically equivalent today. They then proceed to deride the rest of us for lacking comprehension that this new gear is BETWEEN EXOTICS AND LEGENDARIES. Lol. DId you miss the point that this means that they are now beefing up legendaries by 8-15%, making legendaries mandatory grinds too!??

Dude, they have already stated that legendary equipment will have stat boosts in the future. Where have you been.

That’s what Columba said, and it’s part of the problem.

I don’t want any new gear, ever, to be better than existing Exotics. Fill out more Exotics and add new cosmetic Mystic Forge recipe uniques and Legendaries, but only at the same statistical power level as Exotics. Never, ever higher.

Umm, until now, I never HAD to get legendaries. I never plan to do so either, but now I am forced to grind for them or run dungeons, neither of which appeal to me.

Exaaaaaaaactlyyyyyy, this new change breaks the BASIC promise of “All end-game gear will be balanced” WTF happened to that? >_> I’m not angry, call it, an anger progression if you so want to rename it that way.

Posted by: Zang.6539

Zang.6539

It is tragic comedy, I am that guy. Due to work and family activities, I have very limited play time and I just got my full set of exotics….. I am not happy about this change. The whole reason I bought this game was no gear treadmills. I pitched it to all of my wow friends that were unhappy with it there. I preached how great GW1 was and how the Devs used to stand by their word. This goes completely against everything they said in the years building up to release. If I have to step away from the game for a year, I can no longer come back and pick up where I left off, I will have to grind for the gear that will make me competitive. If they had said it will be like every other MMO, I would not have bought it in the first place.

Posted by: Deathdance.2045

Deathdance.2045

Side note for thouse defending the “small upgrade on stats” lets see the picture they gave us about the rings, you can see stats wise 2 points on secundary stas and… 3% con primary. Oh, just 3%…. but wait! i got 2 rings, 1 pendant, 1 back and 2 earrings, those are…. 6 * 3% = 18% of primary stats, mm berserkers critical damage, going the same upgrade on armor, thats, another 6 items so another 18%.

Basically full ascended that would be 36% more critical damage on berserkers set, not counting the weapon, personaly, i dont think 36% as a “little” upgrade.

(edited by Deathdance.2045)

Posted by: Slaig.3425

Slaig.3425

I left Rift when they started talking about taking gear progression out of the game, (PvP gear that is). You can’t remove progression from a game people paid to play, based on that construct.

I came here based on the fact that there was going to be no gear stat progression beyond the gear already available in the game.

Seems to be a trend lately in MMO’s. I have a new trend myself. Leaving games run by companies that can’t keep their word. This is the kind of stuff you do in beta, not once it goes live.

The gear may only be 8% better, but it damages 100% of your credibility with me. It’s just so wildly ironic that I left another game to come here and am making the same flipping argument again, only in the opposite direction this time.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: aocypher.9172

aocypher.9172

I, personally, would not have wasted those transmutation stones on exotic armor if I knew ascended was coming. The only reason I got transmutation stones was because I wanted my characters’ final armor sets to have a certain look.

I would not have even brought transmutation stones if I believed the gear tiers would be shifting every few months.

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:
-There is no endgame and progression in this game…

Posted by: Krustydog.1043

Krustydog.1043

Reading a lot of this makes me concern for the mental heath of these ppl who post on these forms. If they get that over hipped with one small thing there is no way any of them can live a nominal life. I think they need to sit back and take a look at how they are reacting to a game and think how acting such a way to a changes in real life will do to them.
Changes always happens and you can fight it all you want but it will happen just the same. Try not to be to scared of changes and new things it will make life all the better to live.

In real life I would be WAY angrier if I spent money for something and they bait and switched me.

Posted by: TheWarKeeper.5374

TheWarKeeper.5374

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

The problem is no matter how easy or quick they make it and btw they will make it very very slow to achieve these new tiers, you will always salvage ur old tiers and move on, and if you want to have all classes fully leveled, this is a huge STOP sign so u know about it perfectly well and focus ur entire time grinding more and more and more, once u finally achieve it with all ur chars, it happens again, u get from level 80 to 100, u have to not only grind the gear now, but u also have to grind the levels, this is why ppl tend to avoid system like these, what if they want to take a break? what if they have multi chars? they enter the game see new content and then they go like, oh… i have to grind again… well no matter, i have more important stuff to do, im not paying it monthly so i can wait for t he next expansion, and by the time they reach 3 or 4 expansions, their characters are completely alienated from the game, nobody will come with you to do those obsolete dungeons, youll pretty much have to work harder to get ur character back on his feet, and thats just painfull to think for many including me, there are numerous mmorpgs out there who do just that, why making the only available grind free mmorpg tell us that we too wasted our time farming max stats as now they increase in time making what we have obsolete, the game was simple, u get max stats u stay max forever, it worked very well in gw1, it wouldve worked pretty well in gw2.

Posted by: Kirani.2690

Kirani.2690

You people really have some trust issues. They have officially said that they will not be creating further tiers of armor past this set. I’m sure they’re aware that they can be quoted on such matters. You aren’t wasting anything.

They also said there would not be a vertical gear grind in this game. We took what they said at face value because in seven years worth of GW1 there never was a vertical gear grind. So now that they have shown us that the Manifesto was just a big lie we are supposed to believe them when they say this is the last tier? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Posted by: Rusha.4725

Rusha.4725

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

The problem is no matter how easy or quick they make it and btw they will make it very very slow to achieve these new tiers, you will always salvage ur old tiers and move on, and if you want to have all classes fully leveled, this is a huge STOP sign so u know about it perfectly well and focus ur entire time grinding more and more and more, once u finally achieve it with all ur chars, it happens again, u get from level 80 to 100, u have to not only grind the gear now, but u also have to grind the levels, this is why ppl tend to avoid system like these, what if they want to take a break? what if they have multi chars? they enter the game see new content and then they go like, oh… i have to grind again… well no matter, i have more important stuff to do, im not paying it monthly so i can wait for t he next expansion, and by the time they reach 3 or 4 expansions, their characters are completely alienated from the game, nobody will come with you to do those obsolete dungeons, youll pretty much have to work harder to get ur character back on his feet, and thats just painfull to think for many including me, there are numerous mmorpgs out there who do just that, why making the only available grind free mmorpg tell us that we too wasted our time farming max stats as now they increase in time making what we have obsolete, the game was simple, u get max stats u stay max forever, it worked very well in gw1, it wouldve worked pretty well in gw2.

Yea that’s the point. They lost respect on the way. Now they say there won’t be another patch about gear quality. How can we belive that now? How can I know there wont be any new character levels or gear levels? How can I start my horizontal progression? Because they lied once(more than once actually) and I’m not sure what to do now. In my mind everything is possible from now on. They become another regular MMORPG at the end with different saturation levels in gameplay.

Posted by: Skarecrow.7892

Skarecrow.7892

So, we just get one person coming on here saying “it is gear progression, not gear treadmill” and that is what suppose to make us feel better about it? What about those that promised us that they weren’t going to be putting out better stat gear to for us to grind, or gated content? I can’t believe I fell for it.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

You people really have some trust issues. They have officially said that they will not be creating further tiers of armor past this set. I’m sure they’re aware that they can be quoted on such matters. You aren’t wasting anything.

They also said there would not be a vertical gear grind in this game. We took what they said at face value because in seven years worth of GW1 there never was a vertical gear grind. So now that they have shown us that the Manifesto was just a big lie we are supposed to believe them when they say this is the last tier? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Bash, they never said that. They said they wouldn’t after 3 months.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Then I wouldn’t have complained cause I would have known it up front an not wasted gold, karma, ingredients and transmutation stones on exotics. And I most certainly wouldn’t have gotten multiple sets of exotics to try different builds.

Erm.. if you bring up about wasting gold/karma/stones then wouldn’t it be the same with skins? If that’s the definition of gear treadmill, then skins are one too.

Example: You bought the cultural skins for 100g. Then, you do dungeons for another set of skins. The cultural skins became useless, either thrown in bank or get transmuted over. Every update, there’s new skin. Your old dungeon armors get the same treatment. Another update, there’s a better skin. Again, the old skin gets the same treatment. An endless cycle. If people say ascended is a "treadmill" because of this, then wouldn’t it make the current skin system a "treadmill" too?

There players who’re already sastisfied with their current look. E.g. I’m wearing an exotic armor but I’ve a personal preference of the Lv35 medium armor look. So I transmute those on my exotics. (I got full exotic in 2 days after lv80.) Umm, what’s next? I got no more goals. I completed world map completion and play wvwvw unrewarded with no end. Dungeons became unrewarded because I only get tokens for the skins I don’t want since I’m satisfied with my Lv35 transmuted personal preference skins. I play dungeons everyday to the day I felt it’s pointless. There’s no personal progression.

Things turned out when each day I log in, I don’t feel like doing X/Y/Z. It gave the feel of a console game with a wall. That "wall" is the reason why we see many maps became empty after 2 months. Players gradually have lesser motivation to play each time because they’re sastisfied and no more goals. That’s why elements of progressions in mmo is needed.

Posted by: Gingelyr.3648

Gingelyr.3648

You know what I just realized? Think about how this impacts our ability to play with friends. Once I have ascended gear, all my friends need to get it too before they can join me in content I find challenging. If I go back to help them with their old dungeons or whatever, I’m bringing 8% more survivability and damage in. It’s already a pain with the existing tiers, but at least my friends who hit 80 get to exotics very quickly, and then we’re set forever (or so we thought).

I also want to hear what ANet thinks is going to happen 8 patches down the line when they’re done adding ascended gear for every slot. Are the people who relied on ascended gear as a reason to keep playing suddenly going to learn to love a game without a gear treadmill? I don’t see what the long-term hope is here.

Posted by: Minoru.1237

Minoru.1237

Skins are optional. It’s only necessary to grind for them if you desire the skin. Ascended gear will be required to remain competitive in WvWvW and to explore the dungeon to its depths. Huge difference.

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

Make that 2 days.

Posted by: Rasselbande.2654

Rasselbande.2654

if you are against the new stats, dislike on FB, thats what i did.

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

Make that 2 days.

Cant be two days they didnt release all 12 pieces yet.

They dont want the Panda crowd to leave. Theyre hoping the Pandas will buy transmute stones first

Posted by: Krustydog.1043

Krustydog.1043

The damage is done. They planned to do this and knew they were going to do this from the start. With all the patching and fixing bugs and Halloween no way they designed this dungeon and gear in their spare time. I bet they had hoped to wait longer to release it but for who knows what reason they are releasing it now. Like I said, the damage is done. Their credibility is shot.

Posted by: Dedalus.3065

Dedalus.3065

I think that the reason Ascended gear is being added to the game is because of the fact that you could attain exotic gear without ever experiencing high end content. Now I know that some people would like the BiS to be available without any effort, and hey if it were up to me there would be no gear tiers at all, but I still think that one should have to experience all aspects of the PvE game in order to be done with the gear progression.

Currently, the legendaries require that you spend time on all aspects of the PvE game and I think that the (non-legendary) BiS should be similar to that. And if this indeed was their vision, then they couldn’t have just raised the requirements for an exotic, since people already have those, but they would have to add a new tier as they are doing now.

In the end, I don’t think it has to be harder to get BiS, nor that you should have to grind for it, but that it should be a reward for experiencing what the game has to offer (something which isn’t necessary for the current BiS).

(edited by Dedalus.3065)

Posted by: jamescowhen.1562

jamescowhen.1562

I am looking forward to this update with the new dungeon. Might reinstall the game tonight

And stop overreacting, you guys make it sound like the world is ending.

TheWarKeeper.5374

I am looking forward to this update with the new dungeon. Might reinstall the game tonight

And stop overreacting, you guys make it sound like the world is ending.

Nobody is overreacting here, they are pretty much on the spot i see no exagerated facts in general, for an overreaction an exageration would have been required.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

I think that the reason Ascended gear is being added to the game is because of the fact that you could attain exotic gear without ever experiencing high end content. Now I know that some people would like the BiS to be available without any effort, and hey if it were up to me there would be no gear tiers at all, but I still think that one should have to experience all aspects of the PvE game in order to be done with the gear progression.

Currently, the legendaries require that you spend time on all aspects of the PvE game and I think that BiS should be similar to that. And if this indeed was their vision, then they couldn’t have just raised the requirements for an exotic, since people already have those, but they would have to add a new tier as they are doing now.

In the end, I don’t think it has to be harder to get BiS, nor that you should have to grind for it, but that it should be a reward for experiencing what the game has to offer.

If they’d pushed that idea for the last few years, I wouldn’t be here. Max stats should not be considered a “reward”. Period.

And not everyone wants everything the game has to offer. I didn’t run dungeons last month, I didn’t run them this month and I won’t be running them next month. The game was advertised “Play your way”, not be brow-beaten and hood-winked into grinding everything.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

Make that 2 days.

They dont want the Panda crowd to leave. Theyre hoping the Pandas will buy transmute stones first

Pandas will leave soon, because they dont want to wait. When they have the first 2 Items they look around and moan:" Uh, game over, bye GW hello again WoW", so I believe A-Net loses the groundfanbase because of itemtreadmill and loses Itemchasers because of the lack of new items all 2 weeks….double-loss….bad news for A-Net and its great analysts

(This is MY opinion that noone has to share )

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

(edited by IonicBlaze.7948)

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

my girlfriend did:
On the day that the gear was announced she picked up her last Exotic jewlery piece from TP, after completing her armour and weapon sets (each weapon her Mesmer can use, including 2 swords, one for offhand) and transmuting every single transmutable item for looks.

How she feels?
She got so upset she managed to get herself banned from this forum for infractions.
It is not really comical for us.

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

28 days later:

Full ascended guy:

Make that 2 days.

Pandas will leave soon, because they dont want to wait. When they have the first 2 Items they look around and moan:" Uh, game over, bye GW hello again WoW", so I belive A-Net loses the groundfanbase because of itemtreadmill and loses Itemchasers because of the lack of new items all 2 weeks….double-loss….bad news for A-Net and its great analysts

(This is MY opinion that noone has to share )

This is dead accurate. This is exactly what is going to happen unless they retract this decision.

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

8% is not significant.

How about if your boss offered you an 8% raise? I, for one, would love it! You know why? 8% is not insignificant.

Nice job you have there. 8% more money wouldnt change a single facet of my everyday life.

An 8% increase in stats isnt going to make a significant difference in GW2 either.

I am pretty sure you dont work or have income, allowance is not income. 1% increase on you bank savings interest is already a big deal. 1% more interest to your loan is a big deal. 1% increase in salary is a bit small but it still adds up. Make those changes 8% and that is already more than significant.

No point arguing about this, I am pretty sure he will be one of the 1st ones to grind more for that 8% in GW2

Posted by: Ardrin.7491

Ardrin.7491

This is a BIG change, no matter what they’ll say… It’s different from what they told us..true.
Maybe with this “riot” instead of changing tier every expansion and so on, they’ll just change the infusion items to put in the ascend tier… we’ll see…
At least you can do them both on PvE and WvWvW…even in the old wat (and from what they write down, even old content…)

[OSC] Ardrin
(EU) SeaFarer’s Rest

TheWarKeeper.5374

Even more disturbing now is the fact that if this is ever implemented, you can be assured the next big updates will feature the same thing, you will find ur ascended useless and will be forced to grind for the next armor, now all this we already know will happen if this goes forward, but what people are avoiding to talk is the following:

In a game where you have no grinding, your next expansion pack obviously cannot rely on that system, u are giving players what they already own, so how can u release new content and still be the same in stats as the old content?
You need more imagination with the design of the armor making it more appealing, compensating with more and nicier skills for every profession, improving the new area graphics even further and design it more beautifully, make more fun to play dungeon runs and loot rewards, those will be essential to actually lure ppl into buying their new expansion pack and playing it, it has to be actually good!

Lets see what happens if we add more levels and stats in gears:
You add better stats in gears, they can look ugly, np ppl can transmute into the old one, the point is u give them something they need, better stats, you give them more level, so what if storymode sucks? they will still be forced into playing it wether they like it or not they will still go through it to achieve the max level, new skills? why? its fine the way it is… new dungeons, yes lets make more dungeons for them to temporarly enjoy untill the next gear arrives, but however, since this is the first time we do it, we will probably make things with a bit more quality, we will make alot of eyecandy to dellude players into thinking “awww dis looks shweet! gear grinding isnt so bad after all!” and once we have them we can resume a relaxed attitude against the community, we got them now the game is the way it is and its not going to change, and grinders will not quit even if it sucks because they have grinded too much to quit the game now.

Am i beying absurd?

Posted by: ljaphillips.3497

ljaphillips.3497

Not sure if this hasn’t already been posted on the forum and too drunk to check (spent this months gem money on Gin) but did they fail to see this?

http://morgaren.hubpages.com/hub/Content-Locust-How-They-Change-The-MMO-Landscape

Very interesting read…. and very apt. So these content locusts have infected GW2.

Better get the bugbombs out!

SiNoS.2147

my girlfriend did:
On the day that the gear was announced she picked up her last Exotic jewlery piece from TP, after completing her armour and weapon sets (each weapon her Mesmer can use, including 2 swords, one for offhand) and transmuting every single transmutable item for looks.

How she feels?
She got so upset she managed to get herself banned from this forum for infractions.
It is not really comical for us.

I feel you. My friends made me get away from the forums for this same thing. I was raging so hard i would have been banned. As it sets i’ve only had a couple infractions.

This is a massive blow to the true GW community. I have a feeling that depending on who ANet listens to over the next little bit will determine if GW2 makes it or not. As it sets they are seriously making some really bad choices.

Posted by: Rhyaehar.9504

Rhyaehar.9504

There’s quite a bit of misconception in the notion that Anet should reverse course due to player dissatisfaction. While Anet may take player opinions into account when making decisions about the direction of the game, their ultimate goal will assumably be to better the game. This goal will at times run contradictory to the thoughts of the player base since they have access to information, including future releases, that we do not as players.

Take into account, for instance, the release of updated AI or general enemy mob stats and mechanics. Players at present may not be able to keep pace with more volatile combat, and slight improvements to armor and stats can help aleviate that stress without forcing dramatic improvements in player skill or playstyle. An additional armor tier is welcome under those conditions, noting that any item based addition to the game should still reinforce player skill improvement.

That said, we know that these items will be released. What matters now is the way in which Anet chooses to implement the gear. Lowering the barrier for acquiring these items will not only catalyze player adoption of the new tier, it will also serve to lower the barrier of entry for new content and new dungeons.

GW2 is still an infant in the gaming world, and a massive one at that. It will take a great deal of time for Anet to mature it to what it will eventually become. You can climb aboard the QQ-betrayal-train and watch it eventually derail, but there’s nothing to lose by waiting to see how Anet chooses to implement “progress.” Some of us from 05 have seen Anet make what we would consider mistakes, but GW1 turned out to be a relatively beautiful game for its time. It’s more than likely that GW2 will fair similar storms to a brighter horizon.

You’re correct in most of your post, but your last paragraph doesn’t deal with the problem.
People bought the game because they were promissed and reasurred that the game will offer X and will let go of the Y trend of MMOs. Really, skim them thread, multitude of people say this was one of the most important selling point for them.

Now, just after 3 months, when they managed to invest time, effort and real money into the game, they are getting informed that the game will no longer offer X, but Y.

We don’t want to wait and see how ANet will implement gear treadmill, becaue we don’t want gear treadmill, why is it so hard to understand?
It doesn’t matter how you name it, how slow you implement it – that’s not what we bough, not what we paid for. If we wanted treadmill, we’d go to other games that offer it.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

“There are multiple types of Infusions and Infusion slots. In November, we’ll introduce Offensive, Defensive, and Omni Infusions of Fine rarity” -> masterwork -> rare -> exotic -> ascended

And you will be forced to grind them all =)

Oi, thanks. I missed that line.

Havn’t logged on since announcement. Will be pondering that line you quoted and what it means. Possibly skipping weekend-event now.

Dedalus.3065

Currently, the legendaries require that you spend time on all aspects of the PvE game and I think that BiS should be similar to that. And if this indeed was their vision, then they couldn’t have just raised the requirements for an exotic, since people already have those, but they would have to add a new tier as they are doing now.

In the end, I don’t think it has to be harder to get BiS, nor that you should have to grind for it, but that it should be a reward for experiencing what the game has to offer.

If they’d pushed that idea for the last few years, I wouldn’t be here. Max stats should not be considered a “reward”. Period.

And not everyone wants everything the game has to offer. I didn’t run dungeons last month, I didn’t run them this month and I won’t be running them next month. The game was advertised “Play your way”, not be brow-beaten and hood-winked into grinding everything.

Then I’m definitely surprised that you’re still here, since you do not automatically get exotics when you hit 80 in the current game.

And I understand what you’re saying, but the funny part is that it’s in the current game that you have to grind for BiS. I’m suggesting that BiS be a reward for experiencing the game, not grinding it. It’s motivation for people to try out that which they haven’t done before. The new dungeon will be more randomized and therefore feel less grindy than the others. something which I think Anet should implement across all dungeons to mitigate the grind in the current dungeons.

Anyway, it’s too soon for us to exclaim our worries of the difficulty of getting the new gear, since we can’t know exactly how hard it will be. Ultimately, the mystic forge recipes will probably depend on the things you gather on your journey to max level, I.e. like a legendary but much less grindy (hopefully).

SiNoS.2147

I personally is looking forward to a new dungeon. And the new gear. Cant see what the fuzz is all about if people dont want to grind DONT do it. Stop kittening and whining like little kids lol.

The problem here is that someone with a full set of ascended will have quite higher stats. For example 1000+ hp, 5%+ crit chance, 30%+ crit damage. Those are examples but over all each piece will give you 8% more stats. When some items are over 100 stats already that 8% is massive in power boost. This is what people dont realize. In order to stay useful you will have to grind.

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

I personally is looking forward to a new dungeon. And the new gear. Cant see what the fuzz is all about if people dont want to grind DONT do it. Stop kittening and whining like little kids lol.

The problem here is that someone with a full set of ascended will have quite higher stats. For example 1000+ hp, 5%+ crit chance, 30%+ crit damage. Those are examples but over all each piece will give you 8% more stats. When some items are over 100 stats already that 8% is massive in power boost. This is what people dont realize. In order to stay useful you will have to grind.

It won’t stop there. It never does. Once a gear treadmill is introduced it never goes away. Once the entire ascended set has been released more new loot will be added with higher stats & so forth.

Dedalus.3065

Well, the fact of the matter is that you can’t know that. I’m not saying that it’s impossible that we will have to grind, but I’m saying that it’s possible that we don’t have to grind. I mean everyone here says that GW2 is about enjoying the journey, playing for fun and all that. What if the recipes for the ascended gear will only require things you get from having fun playing the game? I mean exotic gear right now is pretty much grindy, and people expect a new gear tier to be more of the same. What if this new gear tier is the developers way of remedying for their mistakes with the grind involved in the acquisition of exotic gear?

There are multiple ways of approach to this new patch; either you assume the worst, assume the best, or you wait and see what the developers have in mind.

TheWarKeeper.5374

Well, the fact of the matter is that you can’t know that. I’m not saying that it’s impossible that we will have to grind, but I’m saying that it’s possible that we don’t have to grind. I mean everyone here says that GW2 is about enjoying the journey, playing for fun and all that. What if the recipes for the ascended gear will only require things you get from having fun playing the game? I mean exotic gear right now is pretty much grindy, and people expect a new gear tier to be more of the same. What if this new gear tier is the developers way of remedying for their mistakes with the grind involved in the acquisition of exotic gear?

There are multiple ways of approach to this new patch; either you assume the worst, assume the best, or you wait and see what the developers have in mind.

Alright, what if people are just trying to do the other dungeons? what if they want to go with their alt in another part of that dungeon rather than grind it all over again just so he/she is able to join his/her party?
Also, we can know that, it has been already officially stated there will be more gear grind in the future, a middle term, to poor of a grind for grinders to enjoy, too broken for casual players who just want to do the high end content they were promissed they were able without gear grinding.

(edited by TheWarKeeper.5374)

SiNoS.2147

This new tier is being put in so gear grinders have something to grind. According to how they have covered it this new gear is going to take time. More so than exotic’s, and less than legendary’s in order to try to hold off the content locust. So by that we can assume its infact not easy to get this gear, and will infact be time consuming in order to grind it out.

Posted by: Sansar.1302

Sansar.1302

Ok now i am done with this game, gear farming is not fun.
The casual none grinding pve where the reason i started playing, now i see that i have vasted many hour of my life.

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

I think its an awesome idea, Gear upgrade really motivates players to keep playing to achieve a better equipment, and besides we’ll have more end-game content to focus in.
i hope every BIG patch, they introduce new gear quality aswell as Max Level increased and new skills.

For QQ’ers : – Remenber Legendary weapons are stronger than Exotics, So stop QQ.

Did any of you guys read this? Wow, just wow.. And these are the type of people Anet wants to cater. Punk guy, Legendaries are not stronger than Exotics. Go back to your panda please