Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

“Here are a few reasons why working at ArenaNet could be your dream job:

• Complete creative autonomy; we make games we want to play.
  • Sustained, long-term financial backing; no “funding milestones”."

Hmmmm….

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

*Downgreade Ascended to legendary gear with Exotic stats.
*Only Agony resistance on Infusion slots
*Add Infusion slot to all exotic gear and legendary gear.

This still give players progression through agony. And future
content can still be tied to agony.

Again, the biggest part of the treadmill are the infusions. If they did that, people that had max stat gear would still need to upgrade in order to be where they were before. Additionally, they will be adding rarer tiers of infusions, devaluing your old ones and stealing away your achievement of getting the best gear available. Even if infusions just carried an agony resistance stat, it would still be a treadmill.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

It is the betrayal that’s the key factor here, but it doesn’t end with just the new gear level, they made a mess of this game with this patch.

People got sold on their ideologies that they had a better way and I bought into it, as many others did. I still believe the mechanics they came up with for dynamic event and open world endgame combat are a fresh approach to MMO design.

Removing all the things that make MMO’s worse the more players there are to share the environment with was genius. Removing boundaries that prevented players from playing together by removing the trinity was innovative and smart. Spontaneously prompting players to the action to have REAL massively multi-player interaction is where this genre needs to go. Giving players an open world end game option again, brilliant. Introducing Karam as the currency of progression that allowed you to play your game the way you wanted and find a path to the best rewards in the game again was genies. They valued everyone play style regardless of how you chose to play the game.

Breaking most of this and rendering the open world virtually obsolete with a single patch was a betrayal that we haven’t seen the likes of since SWG’s NGE.

I really can’t believe they did this, and I don’t see this peppered in gear progression bringing anyone back to the game. What they really need to do IMHO is fix what’s broke and work on improving the open world experience which is this games REAL strength instead of this instanced over done endgame.

They bought and paid for all the bad press they’re getting and deserve every bit of it and I don’t begrudge anyone for pursuing a refund.

(edited by Logun.2349)

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

*Downgreade Ascended to legendary gear with Exotic stats.
*Only Agony resistance on Infusion slots
*Add Infusion slot to all exotic gear and legendary gear.

This still give players progression through agony. And future
content can still be tied to agony.

Again, the biggest part of the treadmill are the infusions. If they did that, people that had max stat gear would still need to upgrade in order to be where they were before. Additionally, they will be adding rarer tiers of infusions, devaluing your old ones and stealing away your achievement of getting the best gear available. Even if infusions just carried an agony resistance stat, it would still be a treadmill.

Infusions are not the problem because they are for lower tiers of the endless dungeons. It’s stats on infusions that carry over to WvW and PvE that’s the problem.

There has to be a middle ground and this is it!

ASB.4295

Infusions are not the problem because they are for lower tiers of the endless dungeons. It’s stats on infusions that carry over to WvW and PvE that’s the problem.

Infusions are the problem. They are a gating mechanism and a gear treadmill in and of themselves. Say you deck your 12 piece ascended gear set out in the best infusions that are available at the tame(rare, for arguments sake). Guess what happens when ANet feels like too many people have gotten those? Yes, they introduce exotic tiered infusions with +X resistance over rare infusions.

And it doesn’t even matter what they do in the future, the fact that ascended armor and infusions were even added started the treadmill. A treadmill is not characterized be the amount of work you have to put into it. That is grind. A treadmill is characterized by the fact of whether or not you will ever be able work towards the best in slot gear that won’t be devalued in the future of the game’s life.
Infusions are a treadmill, therefore a problem. Agony won’t stay confined to FotM or some other tiny areas of the game, because it would be extraordinarily stupid to work in a new tier of gear and an infusion treadmill for only one or two measly dungeons.

There is no middle ground, just as you can’t say someone’s “a little bit dead”, or “a little bit pregnant”. There is no “a bits treadmilly” with infusions. It is one. There is no middle ground.

Posted by: Necrolust.6358

Necrolust.6358

I was very happy when I heard about GW 2 being a game that strayed from the traditionel mmo concepts of a never ending gear grind, now it seems this is the direction in which we’re heading.
This is excactly what drove me from other mmo’s. I’ve done that and it made me loathe those games. Guess I can just give up and buy mop and go back to wow where my old guild and a much larger friendlist is and jump right back into it. Sigh, when will developers, develop some cojones and stick to their guns?

Dissident Aggressors [DA] @ SFR

Onshidesigns.1069

Infusions are the problem. They are a gating mechanism and a gear treadmill in and of themselves. Say you deck your 12 piece ascended gear set out in the best infusions that are available at the tame(rare, for arguments sake). Guess what happens when ANet feels like too many people have gotten those? Yes, they introduce exotic tiered infusions with +X resistance over rare infusions.

And it doesn’t even matter what they do in the future, the fact that ascended armor and infusions were even added started the treadmill. A treadmill is not characterized be the amount of work you have to put into it. That is grind. A treadmill is characterized by the fact of whether or not you will ever be able work towards the best in slot gear that won’t be devalued in the future of the game’s life.
Infusions are a treadmill, therefore a problem. Agony won’t stay confined to FotM or some other tiny areas of the game, because it would be extraordinarily stupid to work in a new tier of gear and an infusion treadmill for only one or two measly dungeons.

There is no middle ground, just as you can’t say someone’s “a little bit dead”, or “a little bit pregnant”. There is no “a bits treadmilly” with infusions. It is one. There is no middle ground.

If infusions are only for endless dungeons, we don’t have to take part in them.

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

No, but it will leave behind the not infused playerbase that would want to play the endless dungeons…..i.e. why go back and do stuff you have already surpassed yourself when there’s no incentive to do so?

Onshidesigns.1069

No, but it will leave behind the not infused playerbase that would want to play the endless dungeons…..i.e. why go back and do stuff you have already surpassed yourself when there’s no incentive to do so?

Until you get a Ascended item, you can not reach the beyond a certain point in the endless dungeon anyways. People already discriminate against other players over exotics, so nothing will change.

Posted by: Cresll.2406

Cresll.2406

A dissaster. The game’s going in a direction that will more then likely make me and my mates quit.
One thing we all agreed upon is that we will never ever spend any more cash on this game be that the gemshop or future expansions.
Another one for our personal blacklist, EA, Funcom, NCsoft, Mythic/Bioware.

Event was one big lagfest, patch was a flop, no proper class balancing, no forum communication etc. etc. Just one big mess.

We focus on WvW and now we’re forced to grind our butts off to stay competitive in the near future. What a waste… Shame on you Anet.

Sagranax – EXG – Desolation

Posted by: LathanHaiko.9182

LathanHaiko.9182

Has anyone seen these items in game yet? Did it get the stat increase as was hinted at in Leah’ kitten or was that not included in the actual release?

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Has anyone seen these items in game yet? Did it get the stat increase as was hinted at in Leah kitten or was that not included in the actual release?

Yeah they got the stats increase, and worse.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Quiver_

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Eder.9120

Eder.9120

Technically you are right.

But the fact is, stats creep is only a real problem for competitive gaming, i.e. WvW. That is what most people are annoyed about. We don’t want to keep grinding just to compete on an equal footing. It is just not fun or fair competing when it’s not on equal grounds – can you imagine a football game where 1 team has full armor and the other has to just wear jocks? Or a tennis match where one person can have a top of the line graphite racket and the other guy only gets a wooden one?

It’s not so much a problem for PvE in my opinion, as it’s not competitive, it’s cooperative. Doesn’t matter if not everyone is fully geared, as long as the job still gets done. Plus as pointed out by others, it’s optional. Don’t want to bother with the agony crap? Don’t do agony dungeons.

A lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking the WoW way is the only way, when it’s clearly not. Legendaries were identical statwise, with only a cool skin. Yet tons of people were willing to jump through the many hoops to get it. I wasn’t at all interested, but it was fine, it didn’t affect WvW at all. See how that works? People who want to do it, can do it. Others who don’t want to, don’t need to because it doesn’t affect the competition. And the fact that people were willing do the grind or pay money just to get cool skins shows that bling is all that’s needed for motivation. No need for stats creep.

There are TONS of other MMOs with endless grinds – WoW, Aion, Lineage you name it. This MMO was meant to be different. THIS is why a lot of people bought this game. And this is why a lot of people are now upset.

Onshidesigns.1069

My friends and I love these changes. And I am almost certain that most of the people whining are the GW1, GW2Guru guys. lol

Watch this video if you want to know why vertical progression is bad.

Power Creep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

Gombar.7324

My friends and I love these changes. And I am almost certain that most of the people whining are the GW1, GW2Guru guys. lol

<= Am neither.

I am however a player that bought two copies of the game for me and my gal, based on the manifesto and the core value of GW2 not having any gear treadmill, that I had come to know and loath so much in other MMO’s….foolish me, foolish me for trusting this.

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

You and your friends are 1%.

I can say 1% of the population only, likes the changes, because even if it is a little off, if you count the guarentee that they will be out of this game within a few months and back to WoW, it is like they never exist in this game in the first place.
The 1% that destroyed an MMO genre

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I can say 1% of the population only, likes the changes, because even if it is a little off, if you count the guarentee that they will be out of this game within a few months and back to WoW, it is like they never exist in this game in the first place.

Much more than that, I am afraid.

How many of Anets (up until now) long-standing, dedicated customer base likes those changes? It’s much close to the 1% here

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

@Jasher.6580

Never played GW1 or go to Guru that often I purchased the game the day before release why?

Simply because i was waiting for them to say, “Oh my bad, but we have added a small gear grind just for our dedicated WoW friends”

So when they didnt say that i bought not one but two copies for myself and my BF.

Well what do you know? Here comes Mr Gear grind Gated content. Nice to see you again mr gear grind

At this time we haven’t decided if we shall ask for a refund or sit out and see what Anet does. And as far as asking for a refund, you maynot, but I have the impression that I was sold a product that fails to meet the advertised product. Thus in trying the produce once delivered it fails to meet expectations and I am entitled to a refund on a faulty product

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

A dissaster.

I have been trying to point out how other companies have made similar blunders and lost revenue/customers because of it. Thank you for bringing up Funcom.

Funcom made “The Secret World.” By their own admission and investor update, the game failed to meet its box sales projections (only 200,000 sold). After I read this, I started looking for reasons. I found many people saying they would never buy anything produced by Funcom. Something about a horrible MMO they made years ago. Years ago? Customers do not forget.

Whether or not, Funcom’s tarnished brand from a previous product was really the reason for TSW lackluster sales may never be known. However, company executives should continue to study their peers’ blunders and discuss strategic creation based on lessons learned. Brand/customer loyalty has been shown to be a strong determining factor in sustainable profitability.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Jairyn.6913

Jairyn.6913

I know I avoided TSW because of Funcom’s “reputation” and I never even looked at Age of Conan.

What’s still confusing me is that GW2 reportedly exceeded all expectations. Where did this gear nonsense come from?

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Here’s a pretty even-handed explanation of the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNYvHHHnSt8

Wintyre Fraust.6534

I know I avoided TSW because of Funcom’s “reputation” and I never even looked at Age of Conan.

What’s still confusing me is that GW2 reportedly exceeded all expectations. Where did this gear nonsense come from?

This update was obviously in the works before the game even launched. It didn’t matter how well launch went, or how much money the cash shop made. Unless you think a few weeks is enough time to create “The Lost Shores”? These things are planned and developed months in advance.

Gombar.7324

A dissaster.

I have been trying to point out how other companies have made similar blunders and lost revenue/customers because of it. Thank you for bringing up Funcom.

Funcom made “The Secret World.” By their own admission and investor update, the game failed to meet its box sales projections (only 200,000 sold). After I read this, I started looking for reasons. I found many people saying they would never buy anything produced by Funcom. Something about a horrible MMO they made years ago. Years ago? Customers do not forget.

Whether or not, Funcom’s tarnished brand from a previous product was really the reason for TSW lackluster sales may never be known. However, company executives should continue to study their peers’ blunders and discuss strategic creation based on lessons learned. Brand/customer loyalty has been shown to be a strong determining factor in sustainable profitability.

Funcom made Age of Conan back in 2008, and I’m one of those that swore never to buy another of their games from that……..

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

The reason this thread is even still here is so that Anet can ignore one thread instead of all the ones that would pop up if this one was closed.

Arena Nets silence is telling.

They don’t care. They don’t want feedback that disagrees with their ‘vision’. What was implemented on the 15th of November is only the beginning. This is the way the game is going to continue.

If they did care, at all or even a little bit, there would have been a response by now. The answers provided by the Kotaku Q&A were to a subset of filtered questions. They chose the ones they could answer is the vaguest way possible so as not to futher fan the flames.

All fires burn out eventually if you ignore them long enough. That’s what they are waiting for. People who disagree with the new path the game is on are simply upset toddlers in their eyes. They will let these players get all the rage, hate, disappointment and saddness out of the system and simply move on. This thread is a glorified ‘time-out’.

It is the damge left behind from the fire that concerns me…

(edited by XarOneZeroNine.2374)

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

No gear threadmill?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Quiver
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Quiver_

Yeah, right.

And they said they wouldn’t add another rarity? Well guess what, they don’t have to! just make items of the same rarity with different stats!

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

ASB.4295

[/quote]

Do you think you will meet agony only inside 2 or three dungeons over the course of GW2s lifetime? After ANet pulled this thing with Ascended gear and infusions? Do you trust them to keep agony only inside a few instances? I know that I don’t.

Let’s try another hypothetical, and I’m trying to stay as close to ANet’s philosophy as possible.

Asceneded armor is released, and everybody who wants it is decked out in fine infusions that give 5(7 for defensive ones, whatever) against agony. A new expansions arrives, with a new agony dungeon, and Masterwork Infusions. The treadmillers will move on to grinding the next dungeons to get their gear back to 100%, so that it won’t hold them back from enjoying every part of the game, chase dungeon high scores, or what other reasons there are. Oh look, after ANet released the next part of the treadmill, they are merciful enough to lower the amount of work to get old infusions to a bare minimum. Everyone, come! You’re now able to start doing the next big agony ridden thing to try and get best armor. But you know what? Since I’m now adequately geared to do Fotm – meaning equipped with gear that was the best at the time of the dungeon’s introduction – I can finally do that without having to think about not having a high enough Agony resistance. But, oh shock, there’s nobody there to play with, even on higher levels of Agony, because the new dungeon/instance gives higher tier infusions!

This system cuts people off from, or makes it very difficult to enjoy content with a lot of lore hidden inside, just because they don’t want to keep gearing up? “You can do the lower levels.” you say. “With whom?” I reply.

You could even see this in GW1:EotN. 2 Months after it’s release, everyone wanted to only do Hard Mode dungeons. Luckily, the story mode of these dungeons was easily soloable, and with a bit of experience, you could also solo the “explorable” versions alone with AI, so you weren’t completely cut off.

GW2 dungeons actually better compared to GW1 elite areas, which for the longest time you couldn’t solo, and which had only people playing that required an ever increasing amount of proof(showing tokens) to be let into their highly specialized speed clear farming groups. Those were efficient grind parties that didn’t care about the area they were playing in. All that mattered clearing as fast as possible and reaping the rewards. You had to be pretty experienced with the area to even consider taking part in these. If you didn’t have a circle of 7 friends or a guild, those were your only hope of experiencing the area.

I didn’t like that kind of solo unfriendly design back then, and I didn’t like it GW2s dungeons for that reason. As of now, the community barely showed any signs of discrimination to complete certain content. Gringers and casuals are playing together, in the same party for the most part. Ascended gear and infusions are going to change that, if only for the dungeons with agony placed in them.

The main(and most personal) reason I won’t play this game is because of the way I like to enjoy games. I didn’t get exotic gear to get exotic gear, I got it to be free of that nagging voice in the back of my head going "you could either work towards getting the skins you like, or you could try and get your gear to 100% effectiveness. Getting max gear is a big relief for me, one after which I can allow myself to indulge in skin hunting. But not before! Work comes first, then comes joy. Even if I’ll never use it, I can’t enjoy the game knowing I could have a slight agony protection on my gear if I just spent time gearing up.

If ANet wants to take this freedom of not having to worry about increasing gear stats away from me to satisfy gear grinders and vertical progression oriented players, this game is not for me anymore.

Posted by: FaultWeeyam.4302

FaultWeeyam.4302

Technically you are right.

But the fact is, stats creep is only a real problem for competitive gaming, i.e. WvW. That is what most people are annoyed about. We don’t want to keep grinding just to compete on an equal footing. It is just not fun or fair competing when it’s not on equal grounds – can you imagine a football game where 1 team has full armor and the other has to just wear jocks? Or a tennis match where one person can have a top of the line graphite racket and the other guy only gets a wooden one?

It’s not so much a problem for PvE in my opinion, as it’s not competitive, it’s cooperative. Doesn’t matter if not everyone is fully geared, as long as the job still gets done. Plus as pointed out by others, it’s optional. Don’t want to bother with the agony crap? Don’t do agony dungeons.

A lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking the WoW way is the only way, when it’s clearly not. Legendaries were identical statwise, with only a cool skin. Yet tons of people were willing to jump through the many hoops to get it. I wasn’t at all interested, but it was fine, it didn’t affect WvW at all. See how that works? People who want to do it, can do it. Others who don’t want to, don’t need to because it doesn’t affect the competition. And the fact that people were willing do the grind or pay money just to get cool skins shows that bling is all that’s needed for motivation. No need for stats creep.

There are TONS of other MMOs with endless grinds – WoW, Aion, Lineage you name it. This MMO was meant to be different. THIS is why a lot of people bought this game. And this is why a lot of people are now upset.

When they tell you gear is optional, it really isn’t. I don’t know too many people who strictly do PvE, normally they’re trying to experience different aspects of the game, such as dungeons or some pvp on the side, so this patch still impacts them as a gating mechanic and it still makes it harder for them as they aren’t “fully geared” ("ur taking on a vet in exotics? u noob, ur doing it wrong, kittenolol).

But really that’s neither here nor there. The real point I’m trying to make is that players will always aspire to the highest level of gear. Why? Partially to avoid the dialogue I gave above, but also for the added security in tackling new content and to also have the option of trying new play styles in the future. They don’t want to be told they will never have the chance to rock at PvP later down the road, people LIKE keeping their options open. Therefore, while there is such a thing as “optional” gear, noone will see it as such.

Another thing is, if they’re offering this gear outside of the dungeons anyhow, you can bet we’re going to see the Agony applied in other areas of the game as well: Wwhy would they suddenly offer it to WvW if they’re not going to use it there?

Nobody’s completely useless; they can always serve as a bad example

(edited by FaultWeeyam.4302)

Gombar.7324

And still nothing from ANet about the course of this…..getting disheartening here.

Onshidesigns.1069

And still nothing from ANet about the course of this…..getting disheartening here.

They know they f-up. Question is if they will continue the treadmill or not.

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

So many tears! What’s so bad about gear grind! As far as I can tell this gear only helps you in specific areas, so its not like they’ll have a leg up when newer content arrives! This is exactly what they did in GW1, except they did it with titles, which are MUCH less enthralling than gear, hence GW1 was labelled a game with no endgame grind, even though there was QUITE a bit post prophecies.

This is a must have because everyone reached max level and had literally nothing to do. Nice now they have something to do. Its not like the gear grind allows ppl to instagib people in pvp, it just lets them tank boars in pve better, why do you care? The boar doesn’t.

Gombar.7324

So many tears! What’s so bad about gear grind! As far as I can tell this gear only helps you in specific areas, so its not like they’ll have a leg up when newer content arrives! This is exactly what they did in GW1, except they did it with titles, which are MUCH less enthralling than gear, hence GW1 was labelled a game with no endgame grind, even though there was QUITE a bit post prophecies.

This is a must have because everyone reached max level and had literally nothing to do. Nice now they have something to do. Its not like the gear grind allows ppl to instagib people in pvp, it just lets them tank boars in pve better, why do you care? The boar doesn’t.

It’s bad when you say one thing, sells a product that is clearly stated to N O T contain it, and then turns around on the spot and goes back on your word. The gear treadmill is NOT a must, and to most of the playerbase that bought and are playing this game is a REALLY huge part of WHY they invested their money and free time to play the game.

I care because this is not what GW2 should be part of or centered around…we have other games for that, for those so inclined. It was this that was to set GW2 APART from the rest of the games, in not having it as a game mechanic and design….

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Lol no they are not, this was something wanted by the majority of mmo gamers, as someone said previously, gear grind is only a real problem in pve or if new content becomes barred off b/c you didn’t grind enough.

Think about it, you wanted a game that was basically like every single player game, with a clear end and basically no more progression, even though the game has basically been about progression up until you get exotics. In your eyes why have progression at all? Why don’t you play orcs must die 2 on 1 level a thousand times without unlocking anything if you want games with absolutely no progression? Jesus you aren’t even in the right genre if you don’t like progression, there is tons of progression, I’m not level 80 yet so I can’t do all the lvl 80 dungeons, that is progression that bars me from parts of the game. Do I come here and cry about it? No I’m glad that there’s so much of the game left for me to work towards, and I was taking it slow b/c I thought previously there was literally nothing when I hit 80, now I know there is so I’ll be going full speed.

FaultWeeyam.4302

I keep checking here just because I’m looking for them to address this. Then I see something someone posts and it basically triggers me to put in my two cents. This kittentorm/exodus would probably slow, if not stop, if they would just address this with an announcement from the Actual ANET team on the various concerns we’re bringing up (gating, killing dynamic world PvE and dungeons by homogenizing endgame into 1 dungeon, power creep, etc.) Of course, they could put out another PR, and we’d launch another kittentorm over that. Or the points i brought up above are what they originally intended, so they really don’t care about everyone on this forum. I’m beginning to think it’s the latter…

Posted by: Makismo.6831

Makismo.6831

I dislike the direction this game is going in. If you feel you need to add some sort of grind (which to be fair you probably do, it’s what keeps people playing) don’t make it a gear grind, it’s unfair on those of us who don’t have the time to run dungeons every day (or in my case, just don’t want to as I dislike dungeons overall, but that’s an argument for another day!), and it goes against everything you promised. When I was done farming my armor skins which felt like a great achievement once I’d got all of it, and I was relieved to be able to avoid dungeons from that point onwards. Make more titles and such, like you did in GW1. Infact, while you’re at it you could probably do with learning a lot of lessons from GW1….

Posted by: Flashheart.8749

Flashheart.8749

Well, I gave FOTM a try, took an hour to get into a Lvl1 party, crashed on 3rd stage boss (first ever GW2 lockup). No credit.

Took another 40 mins to form another Lvl1 group, 1 player crashed half way through Stage2 and never returned, gave up eventually.

Decided to have a look at the cost of some stuff, seen as I had amassed a whopping 15 tokens; let out an exasperating sigh. Surely this is some kind of sick joke ?

Add me to the refund pile.

Posted by: Polluxor.5970

Polluxor.5970

everyone reached max level and had literally nothing to do.

Wrong. I clocked somwhere like 400 hours into the game and I only have 1 lvl 80 who is not even geared in exotics, my other 7 characters are all below 50.
I still have plenty to do for months to come without ascended gear, and I wasn’t the only one in that situation.

FaultWeeyam.4302

Lol no they are not, this was something wanted by the majority of mmo gamers, as someone said previously, gear grind is only a real problem in pve or if new content becomes barred off b/c you didn’t grind enough.

Think about it, you wanted a game that was basically like every single player game, with a clear end and basically no more progression, even though the game has basically been about progression up until you get exotics. In your eyes why have progression at all? Why don’t you play orcs must die 2 on 1 level a thousand times without unlocking anything if you want games with absolutely no progression? Jesus you aren’t even in the right genre if you don’t like progression, there is tons of progression, I’m not level 80 yet so I can’t do all the lvl 80 dungeons, that is progression that bars me from parts of the game. Do I come here and cry about it? No I’m glad that there’s so much of the game left for me to work towards, and I was taking it slow b/c I thought previously there was literally nothing when I hit 80, now I know there is so I’ll be going full speed.

“gear grind is only a real problem in pve or if new content becomes barred off b/c you didn’t grind enough”

Gear grind affects all aspects of the game, as I’ve stated before, as it impacts your viability in PvP and dungeons, and no one likes being told that they can’t enjoy all aspects of the game. Also, new content is being barred, Agony is a gating mechanic, no two ways about it, and we can probably expect it elsewhere as they release more content, otherwise they’re trivializing the new content they’re putting out and making it worthless (they’re offering it in WvW…that should set off some flags). FOTM already trivializes all the original dungeons (almost impossible to get another run in…who wants to do exp mode when you can just do FOTM to farm for Ascended gear)

Thank you for ur comment, i’ve never seen such a prime example of a rabid troll raging in it’s natural environment. Rage more, I like it (one of the best parts of the WoW forums)

(edited by FaultWeeyam.4302)

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

So I say Blue is a color,
then you quote me and say “Blue is not a color”
Good argument you have there,
clearly incorrect,
But 3/10 for attempt.

Gombar.7324

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

That was 5 days ago. Since then the silence from them has been deafening.

Wintyre Fraust.6534

For all of those that say we should stop “whining”:

Does it not concern you at all that in an unprecedented, 10,000+ forum complaint thread, there has not been a single ANET representative even attempting to interact with us? Not even attempting to clarify or explain or provide a clear statement about the future of the game in order to possibly retain some players, or at least give us the info we need to make sound decisions about whether or not to continue playing and supporting ANET via the cash shop?

I don’t care if you’re pro-Ascended, anti-Ascended, or just ambivalent about Ascended, the fact that ANET is simply stonewalling this 10,000 post thread should concern every reasonable, intelligent player.

Gombar.7324

Exactly……

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Yep, guys, stop to quote old blogposts we all know this.

Keep this thread alive, keep alive your concern with good motivations, and not only for a +1 post in the big thread

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: pfulop.2091

pfulop.2091

Just adding my voice to all the people not liking the power creep being introduced to our favorite game.

Being a first-time poster, I would also like to encourage everyone reading and not liking the ascended gear/infusions to express their opinion. Our voice has to be loud=more people and clear=No to gear grind!

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wrong. I clocked somwhere like 400 hours into the game and I only have 1 lvl 80 who is not even geared in exotics, my other 7 characters are all below 50.
I still have plenty to do for months to come without ascended gear, and I wasn’t the only one in that situation.

HA! Exactly the same situation here. 440 hrs played, 1 level 80, not geared in exotics, 7 characters 50 or below. I have about 50% of the game’s official map explored, at best up to 200 in one crafting and below that in other crafting avenues. I had spent $120 in cash shop for characters/bank expansions.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Why do you guys keep equating having something to do at max level with having a gear threadmill? There are many ways to keep people at max level occupied, and a stat increase is not mandatory at all for that.

If ascended gear had sick looks and the exact same stats as exotics, and was quite grindy to acquire, content locusts would still have something to do halfway from exotics to legendary, and none of us would complain.

What’s so difficult to understand about this?

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Exactly……

And there has been no statement by Mike O’Brien, Arenanet’s President. He is the one for years plus before and after launch who stated that there would be no “gear stat progression” mechanic. No content gating.

Why has he not come out with a statement before or after this?

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Posted by: Zerikin.1593

Zerikin.1593

Well, I gave FOTM a try, took an hour to get into a Lvl1 party, crashed on 3rd stage boss (first ever GW2 lockup). No credit.

Took another 40 mins to form another Lvl1 group, 1 player crashed half way through Stage2 and never returned, gave up eventually.

Decided to have a look at the cost of some stuff, seen as I had amassed a whopping 15 tokens; let out an exasperating sigh. Surely this is some kind of sick joke ?

Add me to the refund pile.

in fairness to the player who left you CAN’T return to a fractal once you d/c right now. If you lose a player you can either 4 man it or you have to exit all the way back to LA and start over.

Posted by: Anishor.6921

Anishor.6921

My friend and I have been avid GW2 players since launch. With the implementation of this event with several people in my guild who I would normally describe as GW2 Fanboys or Fangirls described the event especially phase 3 “Worst Event I’ve Ever experienced in my gaming career.” Couple that with these changes and the ruining of horizontal progression is removing the desire to play from my guildies.

What is it with nov 15th and game companies pushing shattering changes to games?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I made my first piece of ascended gear yesterday for my back slot. It was a a little more difficult than getting an exotic but definitely achievable and not gated behind some elitist barrier.

To give an idea on stats – my toughness from that slot (previous back was a rare) jumped from 28 to 34.

All said, nothing to get upset over. I agree I dont want a “treadmill,” but the slight bump gives people something to strive for without breaking the game.

Also – brilliant of them to only intro backs and rings for now with the promise of more to come. That way the “progression” of getting ascended is extended over a really long time, our current gear isnt invalidated and people interested in those things have something to look forward to.

I think if most people stop, take a deep breath, and think about it logically, they will see this not some horrible game breaking event – and that it may actually be a good thing.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)